PDA

View Full Version : Optium Voice Users..???

InstImpres
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I just spoke to someone with Optimum and it sounds like I can save $50 a month off of my current phone bill (won't need a second line, extra services all included, long distance included.)

I know they are 911 complienent. The only drawback they told me is in case of a power failure I have no phone but I will be able to use my cell phone.

Anyone else have comments good or bad about making the switch?

TIA

Honeibee
08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
We just had a power failure for the first time since getting the Optimum Triple Play. We had to use our cell phones. A pain, but it doesn't happen that much.

HOWEVER......I do have a MAJOR complaint about the QUALITY of the phone service.

I talk to so many people who say "Are you in a tunnel"? or "Youre phone sounds terrible" or the worst "I hear an echo when I talk to you". I think we may switch back. :confused3

mrsstats
08-15-2005, 08:50 PM
We have had it since it 1st came out. We have no problems with the quality of sound or service. We understand if we are without power we will have no phone but since we have cell phones it is not a major concern. Cant beat the price

LorieR
08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
We have had it for a few months now and are very happy with it. We, too, got rid of our second line and are saving somewhere around $50 per month by using Optimum Voice. The only thing I don't like about it, and their website says they hope to include the service in the future, is that they don't have Call Waiting ID. That is, if you are talking on the phone and another call comes through on call waiting, you cannot see who is calling - it only says "incoming call." But I am certainly willing to put up with that to save $50 per month!!

We have not had any problems with voice/sound quality at all.

Lorie

w770496
08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
It is Great!! I even just had them hook up my alarm to it. No more land line for us.

Franne
08-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Another vote for great service. I got it in May and I love it, plus we are saving sooo much on our bill. No problem with sound quality and all and I can call anywhere I want without worrying about the time or how much it costs!

wdwpluto
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
We've had it for about 6 months with no problems. The quality for us has been totally fine. It's been a great money saver, too!

married2grumpy
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
We have it too and have the echo problem quite often. We've also had to use our cell phones when the power went out. Not a big deal for us. The quality is not that great but the price is.

InstImpres
08-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Just wondering....does your phone number stay listed with information or do you become unlisted?

Thanks again for all the input, sounds like I'll be making the switch

FirstTimer
08-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I got the triple power play when I moved (Optimum Online, Cable and Voice) it's definitely worth it, u can stay on the phone as long as u want and long distance is free. The only problem I had is that my voicemail died for no particular reason one day (didn't have a blackout or anything) and noone could figure out how to set it back up (apparently optimum outsources their voicemail to a parent company and the way it was told, it had to be pieced back together :rolleyes: ) anywho, it took 2 weeks to get my voicemail back, luckily I had a cell phone and just had my calls transferred over to that voicemail. oh yeah and optimum re-imbursed me like 50cents for the inconvenience they caused. :rolleyes: i'm still kind of ticked off about that but hey the discount for me is too great, i usually spend about $200 a month on my phone bill, with optimum voice's triple play I pay $29.95 a month :cool1:

FirstTimer
08-19-2005, 06:49 PM
oh yeah the other thing is that u can't take your old phone number with you and you're number is unlisted.

stacy1229
08-19-2005, 07:08 PM
We we're able to keep the same phone number and the number is listed. We have had it for about 1 yr and have had no problems. We are getting great savings and I like being able to get my messages emailed to me.

InstImpres
08-19-2005, 07:51 PM
I like being able to get my messages emailed to me.

What is this service, I wasn't aware...I was just going to ask about keeping my old answering machine as I like the Toll Saver feature when I call in from my cell.

I was told I could "take my number with me" for a one time $30 fee.

stacy1229
08-19-2005, 08:08 PM
There is no need for an answering macine with Optimum Voice.

You can access your voice messages several ways; directly from your phone, from another phone by dialing into voicemail system, at the optimum website, or have the system email you a wav file when you get a message.

I find that I use my actual home phone the least for picking up messages.

The MyVoice website is also very good, you can sort all your calls to see who your calling the most or who your actually on the phone with the most. Has no real practical purpose for me but it is fun to play with.