PDA

View Full Version : Where would you stay (best deal all around)?

apugslife
08-15-2005, 01:49 PM
We are starting to plan a trip to WDW. We will probably stay 6 or 7 nights. We also will be trying to save money where we can. We will be meeting with a ton of family and friends there who will stay on property mostly. We will probably fly down. It is me, dh, and dd who will be almost 3 at the time. Dh has been there before, but yrs and yrs ago (when Epcot first opened). DD and I have not. Since the rates are outragous on property, we were wondering if we should stay off property, but near by? And should we rent a car? We plan on spending the morning until mid afternoon (around 3 at the parks) and then eating dinner somewhere and relaxing at our hotel/pool in the evening each day. We may reverse this one day. The only park we will probably go to is MK and possibly checking out the shopping in DTD (or is it a lot cheaper to go to the outlets?) We also will probably spend our last day at the hotel winding down and playing at the pool. I would appreciate your help with suggestions! Thank you so much!

PrincessKitty
08-15-2005, 09:08 PM
If you plan to stay off site, you MUST have a car. The off-site shuttles (with the possible exception of the Downtown Disney hotels) are a joke. Generally, DH and I think it is worth it to stay at a Value resort rather than an offsite hotel--but we have never gone in peak times so we have never had to pay rackrate for a Value Resort. Still, if you have to rent a car to stay offsite, you may as well save the car rental $$ and just stay onsite, where the shuttles are excellent.

The other option, since you are staying for a week, would be to rent a condo. You would still need a rental car, but you would have more room plus a kitchen. I would suggest posting your question on the Orlando Hotels board.

sk!mom
08-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I would stay on property. At a value if saving money is the most important or a moderate if you want a nicer pool. Pop Century or All Star Movies should work well for your family.

raysnkaysmom
08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I stayed at the Clarion by Universal...and their shuttle was fine!! Disney hotels of course are the most conveient...and it may be financially better to stay there than off site to rent a car... BUT...I don't think allll offsite hotels are bad with transportation...

keishashadow
08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
On site Value Resorts start @ less than $80 night depending on the season; much less than a roadside motel, (look into AAA discounts, etc.). The pools & theming @ the All Stars would delight your daughter. There's always DVC rental if you have the patience to line up the details (IMO, the best bargin @ WDW).

Additionally, the complimentary transportation system saves aggravation, time & money. Keep an eye out for any upcoming "free dining" options; research the different sites devoted to WDW; read some guidebooks & you'll be well-prepared to make a decision that's right for your family.

Good luck, planning is half the fun. :goodvibes

Colinsmom
08-15-2005, 10:05 PM
If you decide that offsite is right for you, look into renting a condo. Depending on when you go, there are some fantastic deals on nice 2-3 bedroom condos out there!

pyrxtc
08-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I would stay onsite by renting DVC points. You get a Deluxe resort for a value price. i'm paying about $90 a night for the Boardwalk. Plus they nice pools and extra stuff to do. Plus you get most all the disney extra perks of staying onsite.

luvdisney14
08-15-2005, 10:49 PM
How on earth did you get the boardwalk for so cheap? I was researching the dvc board and I couldn't find anything cheap. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. :flower:

InstImpres
08-16-2005, 08:17 AM
How on earth did you get the boardwalk for so cheap? I was researching the dvc board and I couldn't find anything cheap. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. :flower:

DVC points rent for an average of $10 each. There are times where a standard studio at BWV is 9 points and others were it is 11. If you leave out the ultimate peak holiday weeks, that makes the studio $90 or $110 and there's no tax.

9 point season
January 1 - 31
September 130
December 114
October 131
November 123
November 2730
December 1523

11 point season
February 115
May 131
June 110
August 1631
February 1629
March 131
April 13
April 1830
June 1130
July 131
August 115
November 2426

zaja
08-16-2005, 09:52 AM
I would stay onsite by renting DVC points. You get a Deluxe resort for a value price. i'm paying about $90 a night for the Boardwalk. Plus they nice pools and extra stuff to do. Plus you get most all the disney extra perks of staying onsite.

How do you get the Boardwalk for about $90 a night? I would like to this. Thanks!

zaja
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Nevermind. Didn't read the rest of the thread.

snappy
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I thought the Standard view Boardwalk studios were hard to come by?

poohj80
08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
They are but preferred view studios rent for around 12 points per night which is still a steal at $10 per point to stay at the Boardwalk!

InstImpres
08-16-2005, 10:49 AM
I thought the Standard view Boardwalk studios were hard to come by?

They are hardest to come by in high seasons and the longer you wait. If you really want a standard view, I would recommend contacting someone about a year out. I have rented standard view for people many times.

Good luck

BethR
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
If you decide that offsite is right for you, look into renting a condo. Depending on when you go, there are some fantastic deals on nice 2-3 bedroom condos out there!

I completely agree! We stayed at Cypress Pointe last year in a 3 bedroom condo that could have easily slept 8 (or more!) for about $90 a night. A full kitchen, jacuzzi, living area and a great pool. Lots of room for you to "entertain" your family members. And no further to the parks than some of the on-site locations. Of course you would need a car, but we have always rented a car regardless. :)

Good Luck with your decision!

PatsGirl
08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
With AAA on the off-season, you can do a value for $64 including tax. That's about as reasonable as it gets. The only lower price I've seen in all my researching is probably Comfort Suites LBV for $45 or so and HoJOs for about the same. I've stayed at Comfort and it's certainly okay for that price but HoJos I'd pass on (according to a few people who have stayed there). Also, Radisson Resort Parkway was a good buy, with free full breakfast, a few years ago, maybe $75??

Good luck. I think your DD would love staying at POP though, especially good if you can get a AAA price.

Brenda

Paxtrist
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
If you decide to stay off sight, check out www.afvclub.com, where you can get a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom condo for $264 for a week. You need to be military or government employee or have someone who is, purchase it for you. Hope this helps. :wave:

allaboutmm
08-19-2005, 06:25 PM
O.K. this is all new to me, so if this is a dumb question, please be kind.....
We are going to DW 12/7-12/12,plane tickets,haven't booked a hotel...
Is there a # that list people who belong to DVC, that are willing to rent (use their points) their condo's? Are most of the condo's on the transportation route so we wouldn't have to rent a car? Do you think the $ would be around the same ballpark as value hotel during the time of year we are going? If these questions don't make sense, please forgive me. This site is still new to me, all this extra info is making me head spin :rotfl: , but in a good way! Thanks!
:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: :earboy2: princess:

jgates
08-19-2005, 09:39 PM
My property choice is the Swan, LOL, however, this will not be in the budget you are looking for!!!

I would agree if you want to stay on-site that one of the value resorts would be an ideal choice. You could by-pass the rental car unless you felt you would use it for other things. It just isn't time efficient most days to take it off-site to eat and go back to the park afterwards. The amount of $ you save eating off-site doesn't nearly make up for the lost time away from the parks.

We did stay one night the beginning of this year at the Springhill Suites in the Marriott Village. This is directly across the interstate from the entrance to Hotel Plaza Blvd & Downtown Disney. Nice & Quiet even thou we were right by the interstate. You have a mini-kitchenette so that could be beneficial if you were planning on eating in the room at Springhill. Also, both the Fairfield Inn & the Springhill Suites provide a continental breakfast - that can really help off-set your room costs and get you a jump start on time in the morning. I picked a random week in November (11 - 17th) and their AAA rates are $62 Fairfield & $71 Springhill. They do provide a shuttle service but I don't know if it is 'on-call' or scheduled - we had our car since we had been to Tampa.

MinnieMom
08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
I think renting a house off-site is by far the best value. We used to get a 3 BR private home for just the 3 of us (me, dd, and dh) for about $600 a week. We always had a private pool and you can cook some meals in and you just have so much more space than being in a tiny hotel room.

Now we go with my parents and my sister's family and usually get a 5-6 BR home for about $1,800 a week. We have always had absolutely beautiful homes to stay in. Just being in the houses makes us feel like we're living the life of luxury!!

I know there's a lot to be said for staying on property, but I really feel much more relaxed having all that space + the private pool and hot tub and being in a big, beautiful, luxurious house.

poohj80
08-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Is there a # that list people who belong to DVC, that are willing to rent (use their points) their condo's? Are most of the condo's on the transportation route so we wouldn't have to rent a car? Do you think the $ would be around the same ballpark as value hotel during the time of year we are going?
DVC members who have points to rent post here:

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

You can also post what you are looking for and DVC members with points will contact you. Your dates are considered value season for DVC points which means it's a very popular time to go so I would start looking for a reservation ASAP. All DVC resorts are WDW resorts and have the same Disney transportation available.

DisneyMomJen
08-20-2005, 09:06 AM
O.K. this is all new to me, so if this is a dumb question, please be kind.....
Is there a # that list people who belong to DVC, that are willing to rent (use their points) their condo's? Are most of the condo's on the transportation route so we wouldn't have to rent a car? Do you think the $ would be around the same ballpark as value hotel during the time of year we are going? If these questions don't make sense, please forgive me. This site is still new to me, all this extra info is making me head spin :rotfl: , but in a good way! Thanks!
:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: :earboy2: princess:

We are DVC members and going 12/7 - 12/11. I tried about 3 weeks ago and could not get anything at a DVC Resort. You have to book these way in advance. It does not hurt to still try though.

Leigha
08-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Another point to consider is that if your family and friends are staying there, it would just be easier if you were to so you could use the transportation to go see them at their hotel and them to yours. Renting points may not be for you but it will give you a room with a couch in a very nice hotel with a frig and microwave. I would think this would be REALLY handy with a 3 year old. Needless to say - we loved it!!

poohj80
08-20-2005, 10:27 AM
DVC does offer a waitlist if there is nothing available for the dates you are looking for so you may ask any DVC members who may rent points to you to check on that as well.

powellrj
08-20-2005, 10:52 AM
I completely agree! We stayed at Cypress Pointe last year in a 3 bedroom condo that could have easily slept 8 (or more!) for about $90 a night. A full kitchen, jacuzzi, living area and a great pool. Lots of room for you to "entertain" your family members. And no further to the parks than some of the on-site locations. Of course you would need a car, but we have always rented a car regardless. :)

Good Luck with your decision!

We stayed there in June and it was wonderful!! The kids can't wait to go back. It's very close to the parks, and just a couple of stop lights from DD!

MayMom
08-20-2005, 04:46 PM
We stayed at the Gaylord Palms (the same company that owns The Opryland Hotel) 2 years ago. It was BEAUTIFUL and we got it off Priceline for $83.00 each night. I researched it on Bidding for Travel.com and found someone who had won it already on Priceline.com for $83 on the dates we were going - so I knew how much to bid. The Gaylord busses were fine for us - but we are not very picky. Research Priceline and bidding for travel a little bit - they have the Sheraton Safari for around $40.00 sometimes - there are SO many hotels in Orlando that you could win - so be sure and research!

magsmom
08-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Is there a # that list people who belong to DVC, that are willing to rent (use their points) their condo's? Are most of the condo's on the transportation route so we wouldn't have to rent a car? Do you think the $ would be around the same ballpark as value hotel during the time of year we are going?

That timeframe is extremely busy for DVC resorts and almost everything is filled and waitlisted. Example: I currently have those dates in December for VWL. I booked at my home resort at the 11 month window and switched to VWL right at the 7 month window. It took 2 months of waitlisting to get all my dates. Plans change all the time - you may get lucky. No, my studio is not available.

Also,
It depends on the resort and the day as to how many points are needed for the stay, as well as the type of accomodations. The total points needed for an OKW studio for that timeframe is 64, which are 3 weekday nights (Wed-Th and Sun) at 8 points and 2 weekend nights at 20 points. The other resorts are more (VWL, BCV, and BWV preferred studio are 70 points for that time).

So, before you post what you want, take a look at a site like www.dvc-resales.com and review the point charts to get an idea of what you want and what you are willing to pay.