PDA

View Full Version : Gay-friendly Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Viki
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
My partner and I are going to be hosting gay male friends on their first WDW vacation in December. I've read in various guide books that Mannequins on Thursday nights tends to be gay-friendly. Does anyone know if that's still true? :dancer:

LeftCoaster
08-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Mannequins on Thursday nights is still the place to be. 8Traxx (70's & 80's music) should be fairly gay too. The Adventurer's Club will also have a bit of a gay crowd too. On Monday nights, Mannequins gets fairly gay too. Not as crowded as on Thursdays but still a pretty decent crowd.

Viki
08-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Thanks for responding! I though for awhile no one was going to touch this post with a ten-foot pole!!!

Armed with that information, we'll contintue our plans to visit both the Adv's club and Mannequins on the Thursday night of our trip.

gppnj
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I've not been to any of those places on a Thursday night recently, but I've also always heard that Thursday night is the night. If not, what I always tell my friends is, "With us there, we'll make it gay night."

joanjett1976
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Viki-

I had also heard Thursdays were the most gay-friendly nights at PI. On my last trip this June, I did not see a significant change in crowds. It may be hit or miss.

Viki
08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks all! I heard from "you all" and a couple of folk back-channel that Thursday night does tend to be "the" night, so we're looking forward to it. Our kids have just turned 16 and 17 so we have a bit more freedom these days to make some adult disney choices and we know our friends will have fun.

PneumaticTransit
08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I believe Thurdsay night is also Cast Member night. CM get in free, so it can tend to be more crowded that night.

Viki
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
From what I remember of the days when I frequented such places, many, many, many moons ago :teeth: , crowded is good, right??? :)

In any event, we won't stay long. We'll hop into Mannequins while the teens spend lots of money at Virgin Records, catch the light show, wiggle our bottoms, pretend we're all 20 years younger, and call it a night!

joanjett1976
08-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Ha Ha Viki! Yes crowded is good! I found the most fun to be had (unsuspectingly!) was at 8Trax. I would describe it as the Pop Century of PI, with amusing but garish decor and retro soundtrack. I would def, recommend dropping in in addition to Mannequin.

tinkerbarb
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Not only does Cast night bring out a much younger crowd to PI, the gay ratio does go way up. It's tons of fun!!

Viki
08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I would def, recommend dropping in in addition to Mannequin.

Oh, my! Now we're up ALL Night! :banana: :banana: :banana:

LeftCoaster
08-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, my! Now we're up ALL Night! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Might as well since you're pretending to be 20 years younger. :teeth: I'd definately hit all three forementioned places. they will all be fun and all be gay friendly.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a correlation to cast member free nights and the gay ration going up. ;)

cityofweasels
08-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I second the recommendation. First of all, PI is generally always gay friendly, but more so Mondays (a little) and Thursdays (a lot.) Mannequins especially. And since Thursdays is CM night, the demographic skews towards the young and attractive. :)

But you'll see all ages, shapes, types there, so come on in. (I'm straight and still have a blast.)

Now, if your friends want to come back in June... :earseek:

Viki
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if there's a correlation to cast member free nights and the gay ration going up. ;)

Finally, someone said EXACTLY what I've been thinking!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LeftCoaster
08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Finally, someone said EXACTLY what I've been thinking!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well, SOMEONE had to say it. I just don't have enought tact to keep my mouth shut.

Viki
08-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Now, if your friends want to come back in June... :earseek:

First, thank goodness for the occasional lapse of tact!

Second, per the above, THAT's a big part of the issue here. One of my friends, the snootier one of the two (gottta love him), has sworn forever that he would NEVER set foot in WDW and even I finally capituatled, promising never to invite (arm twist) him again and, of course, as soon as I surrender, he and his partner aske when we're going!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

So we're going for the holidays, but NOW he swears this is his ONE and ONLY trip EVER. Well, that may or may not be the case, but either way I have to make this ONE trip perfect now, don't I (in case he NEVER comes back, or so he WILL!)?

So...my partner and children want to know when they are getting me back (perhaps I'm being a little obsessive??? :rotfl2: ), and I say Dec. 14th. :goodvibes

gppnj
08-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Since we're talking about all things gay, has anyone ever been there for Gay Days? I went in 1998, and I had a good time. My friend and I are talking about going back to WDW at that time in 2007. (Yes, I plan my vacations way in advance; 2006 is already set in stone.)

Disneyrsh
08-16-2005, 10:08 AM
We've actually hit a couple of Gay Days on our vacations, it just happened to coordinate. Since we're a straight couple with kids, we didn't get a whole lot out of it, :goodvibes but from our perspective it was just another typical day at Disney.

Except of course for the assorted evangelicals with the 'you're going to hell if you're gay' shirts on. Thank God our kids are too young to read. And by this I don't mean I don't want to explain 'gay' to them, I just don't want to explain evangelicals to them...(now kids, there are people out there who we refer to as 'holier than thou')

Most of the festivities for Gay Day were concentrated in MK, we avoided that park that day because we knew it was going to be seriously crowded.

Viki
08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Disneyrsh] I just don't want to explain evangelicals to them...(now kids, there are people out there who we refer to as 'holier than thou')
[QUOTE]

LOL!!!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

God, I loved this, especially today, after being gay-bashed at a Phillies game last night. My partner and I were walking arm in arm in the parking lot when 5 grown men took offense and smashed me with a water bottle. One of them fired on me, one of them cried out, "great shot," and they all got a great big kick of it. Lovely. A security guard standing near by just smirked. And this after my denomination this week decided to keep preventing lesbian and gay folk from being ordained.

Thank you for the smile!!!

RickinNYC
08-16-2005, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Disneyrsh] I just don't want to explain evangelicals to them...(now kids, there are people out there who we refer to as 'holier than thou')
[QUOTE]

LOL!!!

God, I loved this, especially today, after being gay-bashed at a Phillies game last night. My partner and I were walking arm in arm in the parking lot when 5 grown men took offense and smashed me with a water bottle. One of them fired on me, one of them cried out, "great shot," and they all got a great big kick of it. Lovely. A security guard standing near by just smirked. And this after my denomination this week decided to keep preventing lesbian and gay folk from being ordained.

And to think that there are some morons out there, and unfortunately on this board, who think homophobia and violent behavior against gay people is a thing of the past.

Viki, I'm sorry that someone did something so heinous to you. That guy, and people like him, make me sick.

joanjett1976
08-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Viki-

pirate: Argh!

I cannot believe this happened to you. How horrifying. I hope you are dealing OK.

Before your next trip to WDW, Make a detour in Montreal and get hitched! I am surprised this law has not made any ripples!

cityofweasels
08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Since we're talking about all things gay, has anyone ever been there for Gay Days?

LOL, yes, I've been a couple times. (And me a straight guy, too, go figure.) I guess all the protests had the opposite of their intended effect; a couple years ago a friend and I decided to go see what had everyone all up in arms. Nothing too scandalous in the parks, but it turns out that it's probably my favorite night of the year at Pleasure Island: good crowds, funnier jokes, crowded dance floors, just a general sense of revelry and freedom. I know handful of other people that feel the same way. (Mannequin's on that night would probably be a bit of an eye opener if someone's at all phobic, though.)

This year seened WAY down, though. Dunno if it's the start of a trend, I hear it was a combination of private events and Universal blatently catering to the crowd (as opposed to Disney's policy of not officially recognizing the event) that tended to draw people away, but I'm far from plugged in to the organized side of things so could easily be wrong.

LeftCoaster
08-17-2005, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE]

LOL!!!

Viki,
Definately write a letter to their front office detailing the incident. At least make them aware that their security should be there to... I dunno, actually provide security. If you get no resolution, let me know and I'll see if I can pull a couple of strings.

Viki
08-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Wow! Thanks guys for all of the support. I think I really needed it. Yesterday is mostly a fog. In some ways it's like a very bad dream. My partner and I are partial season ticket holders, but it's my birthday today (the big 47!) and as a treat we bought really great seats, three rows behind the Phillies dugout for a really special view of the Phanatic's butt in the 7th inning when he does his hutchit cutchie dance. Really, great seats. All the players hang out just a few feet away. Of course we lost (it is, after all, the Phillies!), but it was still a great night and on the way out we saw two beautiful women, probably in their early 20s, casually holding hands as if it were nothing in the world, so we hooked arms and were blissfully chatting when all of this went down.

I intended to write a letter to Ed Wade, the GM of the Phillies, yesterday, but like I said I was in a daze, so with your encouragemnent I'll do it right now.

It all gets even weirder when you consider that tomorrow night is Lesbian and Gay night at the park. Perhaps that, at least, will feel like a cleansing, because we spend a lot of time at the park and are on the verge of buying the whole season plan next year.

I've been out (even within the church, which is, unfortunately one of the last places you want to be out) and active for years, but it still feels shocking that human beings would react so violently to love.

Thanks again, guy. You all have been great. :grouphug:

KittyKitty
08-17-2005, 09:00 AM
How sad Viki that you have to deal with narrow mindness like that. :confused3 :confused3
Now, personally I don't like to see any overt PDA, gay or straight. But what you and your partner were doing was not that. In Europe, this is normal behavior for women, linking arms.

I do have one question. Being straight, and over 50, this may sound dumb. But what is gay friendly mean? How is it different than straight friendly, or anything friendly? :wave2: :wave2:

Viki
08-17-2005, 09:30 AM
I do have one question. Being straight, and over 50, this may sound dumb. But what is gay friendly mean? How is it different than straight friendly, or anything friendly? :wave2: :wave2:

What I meant by the term was to ask if there was a night at PI where there were a few more gay folk than on other nights. In other words, was there a night, where the four of us, me and my partner and our two friends, wouldn't feel like we were standing out, carrying the banner, drawing unwanted attention just because we are together. I was asking if there was a night where we could just BE. Apparently, that night is Thursday and this year, more than I knew when I asked the question, that will be very welcome!
:grouphug:

And, yes, folk who are just "friendly" period are always nice too. Some of our best friends are straight! :flower:

KittyKitty
08-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Viki, it's too bad you even have to ask the question. :hug: :hug:

Have a great time, and be sure to let us know how it went. :cool1: :cool1:

Disneyrsh
08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't know if you'd stand out anyway, unless you were doing some serious PDA.

When I was single my girlfriends and I would all go out in a crowd to a nightclub and dance together. We were all straight, and I don't see that there's a way you could *tell* one way or another.

Unless you're doin' the PDA thing, which I always just want to say EWWWWW, Get A Room, gay or straight!

Viki
08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't know if you'd stand out anyway, unless you were doing some serious PDA. !

Well, apparently, I stood out at the ballgame on Monday night just because my friend and I were hooking arms.

On the other hand - as far as WDW went - I'd hoped to convey the seeking after more than just an absence (of standing out), but also a sense of community, of belonging, of family.

As a sidenote: I have no idea where this PDA stuff is coming from. Gwen and I have been married 20 years, we're lucky if we do anything X-rated in the comfort and privacy of our own home! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

RickinNYC
08-17-2005, 10:22 AM
As a sidenote: I have no idea where this PDA stuff is coming from. Gwen and I have been married 20 years, we're lucky if we do anything X-rated in the comfort and privacy of our own home! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

15 years together with Joe here and all I've got say is "Amen sistah!" LOL!

Viki
08-17-2005, 11:45 AM
OK, I just did it. I wrote and mailed a thorough write up of Monday night's incident, highlighting the inaction of the security guard who witnessed the event, and sent it to Phillies General Manager, Ed Wade. I hope he responds with something meaningful.

On another note, you know, it's funny, I've never felt particularly interested in traveling down during Gay Days. But I think we're going to have to one of these years.

joanjett1976
08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Let us know if you receive any feedback Viki!

Our trip is planned for May 2-12. Any of you gonna be there around those dates? :earsgirl:

allyphoe
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Twelve years, here, and I *so* hear you! (Toddler and live-in MIL don't help, either!)

Phoebe :)

Valentine
08-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Let us know if you receive any feedback Viki!

Our trip is planned for May 2-12. Any of you gonna be there around those dates? :earsgirl:

Perhaps we should plan our own DIS-Gay Days!! LOL! seems we have a nice crowd forming here!

I have been meaning to mention 'Joenjett1976' ... every time I see that pic in your siggie.. I stop and just say "wow.. those are 2 beautiful women.. and that is a fabulous picture!!" Just thought I would share that with ya! :flower:

Vik,
I am sorry you had to deal with such ignorance on what was such a great night for you. I really sometimes am so ignorant that in the past I would think nothing of reaching out and taking my (now ex) gf's hand while walking in the street.. I would think.. that kind of stuff won't happen... noone will think anything of it... it takes events like this to unfortunately bring reality crashing down around us....

Happy to see however, that it hasn't taken the "spunk" or "joyfullness" out of you...

Keep us updated!

Kathy :wave:

joanjett1976
08-17-2005, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=Valentine]Perhaps we should plan our own DIS-Gay Days!! LOL! seems we have a nice crowd forming here!

I have been meaning to mention 'Joenjett1976' ... every time I see that pic in your siggie.. I stop and just say "wow.. those are 2 beautiful women.. and that is a fabulous picture!!" Just thought I would share that with ya! :flower:

:earboy2:
ha! thanks kathy! i must say in my defense it is not our best pic! we had spent four chilly rainy days in DL :umbrella:
and were exhausted by the time the photo was taken! we looked much more fabulous and rested on the following week's pictures in sunny Los Angeles!

Viki
08-17-2005, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Valentine]Perhaps we should plan our own DIS-Gay Days!! LOL! seems we have a nice crowd forming here!

Oooh! Oooh! Count us in!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!).

Thank you, Kathy for the support. I definitely feel better today. :grouphug:

joanjett1976
08-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!).

I am liking the sound of this!
I am already juggling three trips this year. But this girl likes a party! Plus I am squeezing all the juice out of my annual pass

We are set for May 2-12 Pop Century, I have a quickie solo trip to DL Paris Oct 21-24 and now we are contemplating a Jan 1-4 jaunt at WDW to soften the blow of me turning the big 3-0 on January 2.
:rolleyes:

Valentine
08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Ooooh.. that Jan 1 - 4 is sounding possible.. I am supposed to be doing the marathon this year.. well the 1/2.. and I would love to be there for nye again... sooooo possible.. very possible..

YOu have to let us know what you think about DL Paris.. how exciting!!!

Kathy

WDW Poly Princess
08-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Our own Disboards lesbiad/gay gathering! We could probably even get a TA to book us a great set of rooms and set up some social gatherings! (As you can see, I'm a sucker for big concepts!)

I'm a straight girl, but that sounds like so much fun, especially for PI purposes! A girl can never have too many gay friends!

joanjett1976
08-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Ooooh.. that Jan 1 - 4 is sounding possible.. I am supposed to be doing the marathon this year.. well the 1/2.. and I would love to be there for nye again... sooooo possible.. very possible..

YOu have to let us know what you think about DL Paris.. how exciting!!!

Kathy

Will do! I feel excited but very unprepared. I have a very small window to visit + there aren't that many ressources out there to help with planning.

Is that your tough guy in your sig?

RickinNYC
08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Ok ladies, if you move forward with a DIS Gay Days, you gotta let us know. Joe and I would love to hang out and meet up with like minded DIS'ers (and our great open minded straight counter parts)!

Woo hoo! Party on dudes (and dudettes)!

Valentine
08-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Not my tough guy officially.. I just borrow him.. he is my nephew.. and my sister graciously allows me to watch him on the weekends!! LOL!! He is my heart!!!! I can't wait till she lets me take him to DISNEY!!

Rick.. we can have our own little gathering here in the city!! I am right around the corner from ya!!

Hey.. there's another idea.. anyone coming to NY soon??? LOL!! We can have a mini gathering here too!!

I am off to the world tomorrow.. but will have my computer and will check in daily.. look for my thread!

have a great night all.. I know I will ... I will be in Florida this time tomorrow night (not in Disney yet.. but just a breath away!!!)

Viki
08-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok ladies, if you move forward with a DIS Gay Days, you gotta let us know. Joe and I would love to hang out and meet up with like minded DIS'ers (and our great open minded straight counter parts)!

Woo hoo! Party on dudes (and dudettes)!

Of course the guys are in!
:grouphug:

Should we start a separate thread, entitled Dis-boards lesbian/gay meet (or something smarter???) and see what the level of interest might be?

Viki
08-19-2005, 08:52 AM
BTW, Gwen and I were back at the Park last night, where it was lesbian and gay night, and it was terrific to see a sea of family taking over right field.

On the way out, I stole a brief peak to see I could spy the security guard, but I didn't see him. I'll let you guys know what I hear from Ed.

lovethattink
08-19-2005, 11:53 AM
I was at PI on a Wed. We, myself and 2 friends, just went to the adventure's club for a few hours, while our husbands took the kids to Disney Quest. That night, the majority of people together were same sex, about 4 families with kids in tow (even a couple infants), a few families with teenagers, and some boy/girl couples. As another poster mentioned, there's no way to tell if someone was straight or not. And yes, it's not uncommon to see people from other countries linking arms.

Viki, I'm so sorry for what happened to you after the Phillies game. That was so not right. Hopefully the powers that be will know exactly what security guard you are talking about.

I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred. My parents raised me better than that. Both of my parents were Sunday School teachers and they drilled into our head to love your neighbor as yourself and to follow the Golden Rule. They also taught us that tolerance wasn't good. Because with tolerance there is compromise. With compromise, someone gets the short end of the deal. We were taught to love everybody for who they are.

polarboi
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred.

Hey, I'm an evangelical Christian and I'm gay. So I do know what you mean... there are some folks out there who give the rest of us a bad name!

On the subject of the gay crowd at PI... I had a fun experience one trip. I was there with a friend, and while visiting an attraction at MGM, I struck up a conversation with a CM. (My friend teased me that I was flirting, but I wasn't! Honest! I'm just friendly. :)) Anyway, it turned out that we had a lot in common, and he was a gay Christian too. My friend mentioned that we were going to PI that night, so the CM ended up bringing two of his friends, and the five of us had a great time just hanging out and chatting in DTD. So there we were, five gay Christian 20-somethings at Disney World during the Southern Baptist boycott, and I kept thinking, "If only the Southern Baptist folks in my church back home could see us all now!" ;)

As far as Gay Days... I've still never managed to convince myself to go. For one thing, I don't have the money to go every year, so I hate to waste my trips on summer crowds when I have a much better time in the off season. For another thing, my gay friends who have gone made it sound a little, um, wild. One of them in particular was really upset because he said it didn't reflect well on us as a community and that he hated for unsuspecting families to be subjected to it.

I dunno... I love being around gay couples; it's the wild party boys who scare me! :earseek:

-p.b.

Viki
08-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I have to add that I was a bit offended by the evangelical comment in another post. I am an evangelical christian. I would never consider wearing a tacky shirt that judges someone or act out against someone in hatred. My parents raised me better than that. Both of my parents were Sunday School teachers and they drilled into our head to love your neighbor as yourself and to follow the Golden Rule. They also taught us that tolerance wasn't good. Because with tolerance there is compromise. With compromise, someone gets the short end of the deal. We were taught to love everybody for who they are.

I was one of the ones laughing the hardest (and I still like the joke, sorry!), but I hear you. There are lots of terrific evangelicals in my world that are a lot more "open" than the mainline denomination I'm currently serving. I'm an (ordained) teacher and consultant in the ELCA (mainline Lutherans), and just this week they voted once again to NOT allow (sexually active) lesbian and gay folk to be ordained (which, of course, they are all the time and many of them are among the best pastors in the church). Sheesh. I'm not going anywhere, but they make it real, real hard.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Viki
08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
As far as Gay Days... I've still never managed to convince myself to go. For one thing, I don't have the money to go every year, so I hate to waste my trips on summer crowds when I have a much better time in the off season. For another thing, my gay friends who have gone made it sound a little, um, wild. One of them in particular was really upset because he said it didn't reflect well on us as a community and that he hated for unsuspecting families to be subjected to it.

I dunno... I love being around gay couples; it's the wild party boys who scare me! :earseek:

-p.b.

Yes, like I wrote earlier, it's never appealed to me either. It sounds mobbed. And after growing up in FLA in the early 70s, and taking every northern relative related by blood or marriage to the Magic Kingdom again and again and again, I avoid mobs at all costs - while still loving disney.

gppnj
08-19-2005, 01:35 PM
On another note, you know, it's funny, I've never felt particularly interested in traveling down during Gay Days. But I think we're going to have to one of these years.

I can't get there then until 2007. Go then! We can all dance at PI whatever night it is!

Valentine
08-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Only moments away from Disney now!! LOL! I am in Florida now... Universal tomorrow and then Disney on Monday-Sunday.. Anyone around?? we could have a mini meet :) I will check out PI on Thursday night and report back for you!!!

Kath :flower:

Viki
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I will check out PI on Thursday night and report back for you!!!Kath :flower:

Yes, by all means let us know the qualitvy and character of Thursday nights at PI.

RickinNYC
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Another half of a couple that never has been nor do we intend to go, to Gay Days. I understand why it exists and why some gay folks will only go at that time. But I live in NYC so I don't feel the "need" to go and be surrounded by like minded individuals. If I wanted that, I can just walk just about anywhere in the entire city.

Joe and I go to Disney not to "be gay" but to enjoy ourselves and each other's company, enjoy the magic, meet new people, eat great food, check out all the attractions, sit by the resort pool, take naps in the afternoons, have cocktails at PI, shop all over the place and, most especially, relive our childhoods. If I had to add gay in there somewhere, it'd be pretty low on the totem pole of priorities.

As for meeting any gay DIS'ers, either when in WDW or here in NYC, I'd be all for it! We'll be in the World 10/26-11/5!

Valentine, we should get together sometime. Hey, we can go to the Cubbyhole for cocktails or something!!!

joanjett1976
08-22-2005, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=RickinNYC]Another half of a couple that never has been nor do we intend to go, to Gay Days. I understand why it exists and why some gay folks will only go at that time. But I live in NYC so I don't feel the "need" to go and be surrounded by like minded individuals. If I wanted that, I can just walk just about anywhere in the entire city.[QUOTE=RickinNYC]

Rick-

I think I feel the same way as you do. Although I am always curious and wonder what it would be like, reports of a Disneyfied circuit party are abundant in Montreal! A male acquaintance casuallt mentionned attending yet never boarding one ride :earseek: :earseek:

RickinNYC
08-23-2005, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=RickinNYC]Another half of a couple that never has been nor do we intend to go, to Gay Days. I understand why it exists and why some gay folks will only go at that time. But I live in NYC so I don't feel the "need" to go and be surrounded by like minded individuals. If I wanted that, I can just walk just about anywhere in the entire city.[QUOTE=RickinNYC]

Rick-

I think I feel the same way as you do. Although I am always curious and wonder what it would be like, reports of a Disneyfied circuit party are abundant in Montreal! A male acquaintance casuallt mentionned attending yet never boarding one ride :earseek: :earseek:

Circuit parties are a thing of the past for me. Sure, went to a couple (only in NYC though) but got over them pretty quick. It's not that they're for the young, but that they're for a specific mindset which entails a type of person that I wouldn't normally socialize with anyway. Those guys tend to be pretty shallow in many, many ways. I like to think I run a little deeper than that.

I knew one guy that went to every circuit party you can imagine. His vacation schedule was around them. He kept trying to be my "new best friend" for quite a while until I told him "look, you're gay... I'm gay... does not mean we're instant pals..." He backed down quite a bit after that and his boyfriend at the time overheard it and told me later he thought it was the best thing anyone ever said to him.

And to put a focus on gay over Disney when on vacation? Squeeze me? Don't think so! LOL!

billysotherdad
08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Just thought I'd post here, too! I have to let everyone know that what Rick says is correct. Our time spent at WDW is not about us being a couple or showing off our "gayness" to the kids on the teacups. Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend? Rick mentioned all the reasons we go but he forgot to mention two important reasons "I" go to WDW: 1) the footlong hotdogs at MK and 2) ICE CREAM EVERYWHERE. I mean, really. Where else can you go on vacation that no matter where you go, there's ice cream everywhere? Think about it. It's in every park. It's at every hotel. It's everywhere. It's like HEAVEN. :laughing:

But seriously, since we live in NYC, we go there to go on vacation. And yes, we do go to PI on Thursday when we're down there, and we feel comfortable being ourselves when there, but we have never been (and most likely will never be) that couple that MUST hold hands every moment. Nor are we that couple that MUST make a scene and kiss everytime a family with children happens across our path. It is not our mission while at Disney to "convert" or "shock" or "educate". It is our mission to enjoy yourselves and to eat ice cream.

RickinNYC
08-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Just thought I'd post here, too! I have to let everyone know that what Rick says is correct. Our time spent at WDW is not about us being a couple or showing off our "gayness" to the kids on the teacups. Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend? Rick mentioned all the reasons we go but he forgot to mention two important reasons "I" go to WDW: 1) the footlong hotdogs at MK and 2) ICE CREAM EVERYWHERE. I mean, really. Where else can you go on vacation that no matter where you go, there's ice cream everywhere? Think about it. It's in every park. It's at every hotel. It's everywhere. It's like HEAVEN. :laughing:

But seriously, since we live in NYC, we go there to go on vacation. And yes, we do go to PI on Thursday when we're down there, and we feel comfortable being ourselves when there, but we have never been (and most likely will never be) that couple that MUST hold hands every moment. Nor are we that couple that MUST make a scene and kiss everytime a family with children happens across our path. It is not our mission while at Disney to "convert" or "shock" or "educate". It is our mission to enjoy yourselves and to eat ice cream.

Let me clarify that it's Joe's mission to eat ice cream AND when he's eating it, he always takes a big scoop and puts it in his mouth, scrapes some off and leaves the rest on his spoon. Which, in my humble opinion, is incredibly disgusting. But it's a great deterrent from my ever asking if I can have some.

Yuck.

billysotherdad
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Rick has this THING about that. Even people on TV and in commercials do it. He thinks its disgusting, but when you eat ice cream, and you take a spoonful, it's your spoon and if you take some of it from the spoon and then eat the rest in another 5 seconds or so, why is that disgusting? Most people do it. Rick only takes what he plans to eat at that moment onto his spoon. Only Rick would think about this! When I'm eating ice cream, the very last thing I'm thinking about is..."mmm, now, how much would I like to have on this spoon at this moment?" I'm probably thinking..."mmmmmm. ice cream. mmmmm. ice cream....mmmmm. icecreammmmmmicecream." My brain is closing in a decent freeze :cold: and it has no opportunity to think..."WHOA, that's way too much on the spoon, I'd better put a little bit back into the cup."

And, if Rick sees me take only half of the contents of the spoon into my mouth, he'll be too disgusted to ask for some. :cool1:

RickinNYC
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Most people do it. Rick only takes what he plans to eat at that moment onto his spoon. Only Rick would think about this!

1.) You eat your icecream in a disgusting manner.
2.) What does that mean? "Only Rick would think about this!"? Hmmmmm????? Somebody is sleepin' on the couch tonight.

joanjett1976
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Plus, why would I wear a red shirt ALL weekend?.

:rotfl2:

Too funny!

I agree. Living in Montreal, it is a giant circuit party at all times . I had my fill at Pride a few weeks back. It is always a tad awkward for two chicks to be surrounded by 1000's of sweaty, shirtless men for an entire weekend!

On the subject of PDA's, whenever we hold hands, people assume we are sisters and often bluntly ask us this very question. How very odd.

Any of you fellas planning a trip up here anytime?

Belle23
08-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Too funny!

I agree. Living in Montreal, it is a giant circuit party at all times . I had my fill at Pride a few weeks back. It is always a tad awkward for two chicks to be surrounded by 1000's of sweaty, shirtless men for an entire weekend!

On the subject of PDA's, whenever we hold hands, people assume we are sisters and often bluntly ask us this very question. How very odd.

Any of you fellas planning a trip up here anytime?

Hi Everyone! :wave2: I just wanted to say that you all are so funny and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Just the other day my partner and I were leaving our apartment and our nosy neighbor came out and asked my partner Amy if I was her daughter. :confused3 Now this made us roll over laughing because I am almost 24 and she is a young looking 32. :rotfl: I have no clue why she would think she was my mother. Then after she said no she asked if we were sisters and Amy finally had to say no we are roommates. She finally accepted this answer and went back in her home. We just laughed at it the rest of the day. We are planning a trip May 13-May 21 of 2006 and are planning on staying at POP Century. :cheer2:

joanjett1976
08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
We are planning a trip May 13-May 21 of 2006 and are planning on staying at POP Century. :cheer2:

Awwww! Looks like we'll be missing each other by a day :earboy2:
We're leaving POP on May 12th! This will be our first time there-this time we're doing value for 10 days instead of moderate for 5. I'm requesting to be in a room near the Big wheel. Sigh...And I thought my tomboy days were firmly behind me...

Viki
08-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Everyone! :wave2: I just wanted to say that you all are so funny and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Just the other day my partner and I were leaving our apartment and our nosy neighbor came out and asked my partner Amy if I was her daughter. :confused3 Now this made us roll over laughing because I am almost 24 and she is a young looking 32. :

LOL! Except I can't laugh TOO loudly because when people try to make sense of Gwen and I, I always end up being the MOTHER!!!
:maleficen :maleficen :maleficen

BTW, OK is where our two friends are flying in for their ONE trip to WDW.

Belle23
08-25-2005, 06:08 PM
This is our first time at WDW together we have both been when we were younger she on a band trip and I lived in Kissimmee for awhile in high school and my mom worked for WDW so we got in free!!! She was definetly not thrilled by her being made out to be the mother, but I just told her that woman is insane because she does not look very old at all. I am really excited about staying at POP it looks really fun I think we aren't going to do a room request I don't really care where we sleep! I am just so excited this is our very first vacation together and I am talking we have never even gone on a weekend getaway (Except if you count going to a small town in Texas to visit her family, which I do not!) and we have been together for almost 5 years. :earboy2:

Viki
08-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Have a great trip, Belle, and tell us how you like POP!

lynn71092
08-26-2005, 09:48 AM
OMG, 5 years without a trip together!!
You will love WDW, just make sure you read everything on the boards to make it an even better experience.
And always remember the Fast Passes!! :wave:

Belle23
08-26-2005, 11:07 AM
OMG, 5 years without a trip together!!
You will love WDW, just make sure you read everything on the boards to make it an even better experience.
And always remember the Fast Passes!! :wave:

Oh believe me I am like obsessed with this board and planning I think my partner is getting a little sick of me asking how should I do my hair, what should I wear, what restaurants do we want to eat at, etc when we don't even go until next spring!! She is the type where she is excited, but at the same time we aren't going until next Spring so she can wait till May 1 to start planning. Not me I am completly opposite, but she loves my just the way that I am insanity and all!!! :rotfl2: I will definetly let you all know how our trip went!!! :earboy2:

joanjett1976
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
belle-

here, here! planningness is godliness 'round these here parts! pirate:

feel free to pm if you have any questions regarding dining or parks!

Belle23
08-26-2005, 01:06 PM
belle-

here, here! planningness is godliness 'round these here parts! pirate:

feel free to pm if you have any questions regarding dining or parks!

Thank you so much. I think planning is almost just as fun as going. :earboy2:

CinRell
08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Let me clarify that it's Joe's mission to eat ice cream AND when he's eating it, he always takes a big scoop and puts it in his mouth, scrapes some off and leaves the rest on his spoon. Which, in my humble opinion, is incredibly disgusting. But it's a great deterrent from my ever asking if I can have some.

Yuck.

LOL! I'm sorry you guys are cracking me up...
Sorry Joe.. that IS kinda gross. Nobody wants to see what your mouth forgot to finish...

On another note, I live in cleveland with several predominantly gay communities around and I *love* it. Love the openness and tolerance tho many of the burbs aren't quite so "nice"... I notice lesbians are 'tolerated' more than gay men as far as being open but... what is WITH men who think oooh 2 women.. hot... maybe they'll want me..

um.. NO!

I'd love to join the gathering! I'm not gay... I am equal opportunity for boys AND girls;)

Cin (8 more days till dizzy world!)

lovethattink
08-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I've been checking this thread periodically to see if Viki heard anything back from the Phillies.

Anyway, I've had a good chuckle with some of these posts. Sad to say, Rick, but I eat my icecream like Joe. I never even realized that. It is gross, my son does that too.

Valentine---You picked an awesome time to come here. The crowds have been low. We went to AK on Thursday after we dropped ds off at school. At the bottom is a link of pics of the emptiness.

Joanjett and Belle---Pop is a fun resort, but the rooms are noisy. We were in 1st floor of the rubix cube bld. room #9134. It was an awesome location. We were close to the parking lot, food court, computer pool. But being close like that meant that there was alot of foot traffic outside our room. We could hear everyone's conversations and everytime someone flushed a toilet, it sounded like it was in our room. To stay there again I think I'd request a top floor. Our baby woke up everytime he heard a toilet flush during the night. Besides that, our stay was great! Be sure to find the twister game. DS and I had so much fun playing it. Keep an eye out for dancing CMs at the food court.

Belle---with the humidity here, I've found it pointless to worry about my hair during the daytime. I also skip the make up, because it seems to melt off my face...yuck. If you are planning to go to popular restaurants, it is very important to get your AR's made as soon as you are permitted. Be sure to check out the menus at Allears.

Cinrell---my husband was born and raised in Parma.

Here are pics from AK on Thursday. I was so pleased it was empty!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=sf5pbk2.1bjmn7yy&Uy=-auwuv3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Belle23
08-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I've been checking this thread periodically to see if Viki heard anything back from the Phillies.

Anyway, I've had a good chuckle with some of these posts. Sad to say, Rick, but I eat my icecream like Joe. I never even realized that. It is gross, my son does that too.

Valentine---You picked an awesome time to come here. The crowds have been low. We went to AK on Thursday after we dropped ds off at school. At the bottom is a link of pics of the emptiness.

Joanjett and Belle---Pop is a fun resort, but the rooms are noisy. We were in 1st floor of the rubix cube bld. room #9134. It was an awesome location. We were close to the parking lot, food court, computer pool. But being close like that meant that there was alot of foot traffic outside our room. We could hear everyone's conversations and everytime someone flushed a toilet, it sounded like it was in our room. To stay there again I think I'd request a top floor. Our baby woke up everytime he heard a toilet flush during the night. Besides that, our stay was great! Be sure to find the twister game. DS and I had so much fun playing it. Keep an eye out for dancing CMs at the food court.

Belle---with the humidity here, I've found it pointless to worry about my hair during the daytime. I also skip the make up, because it seems to melt off my face...yuck. If you are planning to go to popular restaurants, it is very important to get your AR's made as soon as you are permitted. Be sure to check out the menus at Allears.

Cinrell---my husband was born and raised in Parma.

Here are pics from AK on Thursday. I was so pleased it was empty!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=sf5pbk2.1bjmn7yy&Uy=-auwuv3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Thank you I will definetly do the AR's early. Thank you for the info on POP!! :sunny:

lovesmickey
08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Joe and I go to Disney not to "be gay" but to enjoy ourselves and each other's company, enjoy the magic, meet new people, eat great food, check out all the attractions, sit by the resort pool, take naps in the afternoons, have cocktails at PI, shop all over the place and, most especially, relive our childhoods. If I had to add gay in there somewhere, it'd be pretty low on the totem pole of priorities.

As for meeting any gay DIS'ers, either when in WDW or here in NYC, I'd be all for it! We'll be in the World 10/26-11/5!

I loved this thread, what great reading!

Viki
Congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary. We are celebrating our 20th!

RickinNYC & Billysotherdad
I loved what you said. We also will NOT be going to gay days!

We are just two Disney guests there to have a good time like everybody else. We are there to relax and enjoy each other, to spend time together enjoying every minute. We are there to have fun and enjoy all that Disney has to offer. The parks, the rides, the attractions, the food (Casey's hot dogs), the drinks and yes the ICE CREAM! We do nothing to draw attention ourselves just as we don't want to see it from someone else - someone said GET A ROOM - I agree!

Belle23
We always get the same question too! Are you sisters? Sometimes it is just easier to say YES - nice to see you - thanks for asking - Goodbye!

We are going to do something that we never do though. We will be at Disney late October, this is a present to each other for our 20th anniversary. We did make a reservation for dinner and ordered a special cake with Happy Anniversary on it. We do not want a huge thing made out of it and we will explain that when we arrive. We dont want people looking at us but at the same time we are very proud of our anniversary and do want to celebrate it at Disney.

Again, great thread! ::MickeyMo

Disney Doll
08-28-2005, 08:13 PM
I don't know specifically about the gay aspect, but I will say that the Adventurers Club is just theneatest, most fun place!!!!

SeattleRedBear
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
I got to this very funny thread late as well (not being a regular reader although I will be checking more as we have an upcoming trip to DLR). Husbear & I have idly talked about going to gaydays some year, but after having been to the World last june for the first time during the summer (I was one of 20,000 librarians there), I think it will be the first (and last) time that we go during the summer (gaydays or not). Between the weather (we are all weather wimps in Seattle) and the crowds, it was just *so* not enjoyable. I don't think it will matter to me whether the crowds around me are gay or straight, I will be miserably hot and surrounded by too many strangers in close quarters (I think we have a larger sense of personal space here on the left coast). We've also talked about going to the DL gayday as it's a much smaller, low-key event in October (when we typically go on vacation).

Rick -- You know if you guys are going to air your laundry in public, you're going to have to expect a response. Get off Billy's case! I eat ice cream just like he does and no one has ever told me it's gross (but maybe they're just being polite).

We also get the "Are you guys brothers?" question *all* the time (even though we don't look a thing alike, we're both roughly the same size and age). And like most couples, we've been picking up each others characteristics, mannerisms and jokes over the years so eventually we'll morph into a single person by the name of Steve&Rick.

So Viki -- Have you heard anything back from the Phillies GM? I would probably react similarly to you (be in such a state of shock that I wouldn't know what to do). Unfortunately, these days that kind of gay-bashing can (and does) still happen anywhere. Take care of yourself and let us know what happens. You've got a bunch of supporters here!

Viki
08-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks, guys, for continuing to ask after whether there has been any response from the Phillies front office. There hasn't been and I think if I don't hear anything by the end of the week I'm going to resend the letter to David Montgomery, the rep for the team owners. Whenever I hear anything I will absolutely let you all know. You've been great support.

On a lighter note, I, too love this thread and am glad people are jumping on (and back) to keep it going. It's a friendly place to visit each morning as I flip my laptop open!

Viki
08-29-2005, 07:26 AM
I loved this thread, what great reading!

Viki
Congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary. We are celebrating our 20th!

Welcome to the DIS boards, good to have you and congratulations on your 20th!!! You all made it before us!

Because I am still in the thick of planning our Dec trip, I haven't been able to yet appropriately obsess about next year's anniversary trip, but here are a few fleeting thoughts I've entertained:

1. Stay 4 nights AKL standard Savannah room (that's booked as of yesterday)
2. Stay 4 nights AKL concierge (our very first time staying concierge anywhere, which will be booked next week)
3. Doing both of the special safaris offered to concierge guests
4. An Illuminations cruise
5. Dinner at Victoria and Alberts, with one of those special cakes from the GF bakery!
6. Parasailing (at the Cont)
7. A carriage ride (at OKW?)
8. I recently learned I can order special flower deliveries to the room
9. An inroom dining experience for two on the balcony of our Savannah room
10. If we get bored we might visit the parks

(And I think I'm kidding aboutt the parasailing, but you never know...)

What are you guys gonna do?

Kevin&Randall
08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
We also get the "Are you guys brothers?" question *all* the time (even though we don't look a thing alike, we're both roughly the same size and age). And like most couples, we've been picking up each others characteristics, mannerisms and jokes over the years so eventually we'll morph into a single person by the name of Steve&Rick.

We get the brother's question about every time we go out. To make our life easier, the answer is usually "Yes."

And as you can see, we have morphed into one person. :banana:

Randall

:earsboy:

Kevin&Randall
08-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Because I am still in the thick of planning our Dec trip, I haven't been able to yet appropriately obsess about next year's anniversary trip, but here are a few fleeting thoughts I've entertained:

7. A carriage ride (at OKW?)

I am not aware of OKW offering carriage rides. I do know that Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness do. We have not done a carriage ride, but it does sound romantic.

We love to go to FW and sit on the porch at Trail's End and watch the people go by. That isn't particularly romantic, but you can get some beverages at the Trading Post across the way and have a few cocktails. People watching is as close to a sporting event as I will ever come to.

The dinner at Trail's End is very good, and quite reasonable.

Randall

RickinNYC
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Rick -- You know if you guys are going to air your laundry in public, you're going to have to expect a response. Get off Billy's case! I eat ice cream just like he does and no one has ever told me it's gross (but maybe they're just being polite).

Hey there! Welcome to the board! And welcome to lovesmickey and steveandrandall as well!

As for getting on Joe's case (Billy is the dog not the partner!) about his ice cream eating habits, I just gotta. It's one of those "things" I have with eating. Grosses me out. There's a list of things somewhere around here (looks under a pile of papers).

As for the brother thing, never happen to us. If it ever did, I think I'd either pee or fall down, both from laughing. I'm half Japanese and stand 6'4". Joe is italian and irish and is 5'8". Think salt shaker and pepper mill. That's us.

Actually, Joe and I look like the two dad's who just successfully ditched their wives and children to catch a round of golf.

Lovesmickey, congrats on 20 years! Joe and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this October at the Wilderness Lodge. We'll be there from 10/26-11/5. :banana:

Viki
08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi steve&randall, isn't it the truth? All of our best friend couples are really one word, "danny&john," "bob&neil," and exactly in that order, never the reverse; that would have to be another couple.

In any event, welcome and Trail's end sounds divine. We saw the dinner show at FW a few years back on a long weekend spent at WL and it was a hoot.

Kevin&Randall
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Thank you everyone for the greetings. Just to clarify something... It's Kevin & Randall. SeattleRedBear is Steve & Rick.

Anyway, we have been in Central Florida for about 15 years, (we've been together for 13 years). We thought we were Disney experts until we discovered the disboards. We enjoy spending time at Disney and Disney certinally enjoys us spending our money in the various bars -- especially the pub at UK. (Hi Pam! :wave: )

We'd be happy to answer questions about the area. It would be fun to meet up with folks as they visit.

Viki, the Trails End serves the same food as the Hoop Dee Doo. Give me enough beer and I perform my own floor show! :rotfl:

Randall

Viki
08-29-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin&Randall]We'd be happy to answer questions about the area. It would be fun to meet up with folks as they visit.

Viki, the Trails End serves the same food as the Hoop Dee Doo. Give me enough beer and I perform my own floor show! :rotfl:

Randall

OK, we'll have to catch that one!!!

Sorry about the name confusion. We'll do better. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

joanjett1976
08-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi steve&randall, isn't it the truth? All of our best friend couples are really one word, "danny&john," "bob&neil," and exactly in that order, never the reverse; that would have to be another couple.:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Oh my god, that is sooo funny! Round here we're 'genandval' one word-one bizarro alien like entity.

SeattleRedBear
08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey there! Welcome to the board! And welcome to lovesmickey and steveandrandall as well!

As for getting on Joe's case (Billy is the dog not the partner!) about his ice cream eating habits, I just gotta. It's one of those "things" I have with eating. Grosses me out. There's a list of things somewhere around here (looks under a pile of papers).

Your dog eats ice cream!! Now THAT'S disgusting.

RickinNYC
08-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Your dog eats ice cream!! Now THAT'S disgusting.

:rotfl:

No no no!!! Joe eats ice cream in a way that grosses me out. BILL is the dog and he does NOT get icecream at all!

SeattleRedBear
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM

No no no!!! Joe eats ice cream in a way that grosses me out. BILL is the dog and he does NOT get icecream at all!

Oh. Well, that's very different. Never mind.

RickinNYC
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh. Well, that's very different. Never mind.

Emily Litella, is that you?

gppnj
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Yuck.

Oh my God. I eat ice cream the exact same way. :confused3

TomTO
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Myself and my partner Rick are sailing on the Disney Magic October 29th - November 5th then heading over to the parks. Just wondering is anyone else will be there at that time. The actual dates are November 5th - 8th (4 nights).

Looks like were just missing RickinNYC.

Cheers,
Tom

PS. Why can't we have a gay DIS Board???

polarboi
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
PS. Why can't we have a gay DIS Board???

Oh my gosh, I would live there.

But what would we talk about? Gay stuff all day long? Make sure everyone had received their latest updates to the Gay Agenda? Offer tips on renewing your Gay License? (I almost had mine revoked yesterday when I mentioned I'd never seen Steel Magnolias or Beaches, though I was let off with a warning once I demonstrated that I had RENT memorized.)

-p.b.

SeattleRedBear
08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Emily Litella, is that you?
Yes, Mickey, this is Emily Litella. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but, my goodness, they don't even have ESL up here and, you know, the more time goes by, the harder it is to contact the living.

What's all this fuss I hear about gay onions? Honestly, I don't even know how you would tell the difference. Do they really need to pass a constitutional amendment against gay onions? They don't seem like much of a problem to me. Mostly I just chop them up and mix them in with meatloaf or spaghetti sauce or just about anything. I've never noticed whether there was any problem with gay onions. They all taste the same to me. If we ban gay onions, what's next? Gay cucumbers? Gay watermelons?

And another thing...I'm very puzzled about that man you elected president. Ever since he was elected, he keeps talking about his man date. Well now, you'd think that that's the kind of thing that he wouldn't want people to know about, yet he talks about it every time I hear him and he seems to be very proud of it. How can he be against same-sex relationships and then date a man? What does Laura think of this relationship and does she actually approve of his dating a man? Also I have not heard any denouncements by the Christian right when he announced that he had a man date. Where are Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell now?

All I can think of is that someone was going to leak something about him and he decided to be up front about it. Just like what they did to that poor Mr. Nixon. But you know, I never understood why everyone got so upset about buglers at the Watergate Hotel. I can understand why people at the hotel were upset. After all, a bugle is a very loud instrument and I'm sure they woke up a lot of people, but to throw out a president just because he paid for some musicians to play at a hotel...it just doesn't make any sense. You know, I think it was the same people who were against violins on television. Now why don't parents want their children to see violins on television? Why, I thought the Leonard Bernstein concerts were just lovely. Now, if they only show the violins after 11:00 at night, the little babies will all be asleep. And they won't learn any music appreciation! Why, they'll end up wanting to play guitar, and bongo drums. And go to Africa and join these rock and roll outfits. And they won't drink milk! I say there should be more violins on television!

Really, what's going on down there? The longer I'm gone the less sense it makes. But thanks for thinking of me Nicky. The only thing I miss is the toast.

Viki
08-30-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't know how in the WORLD I am suppossed to follow the post above, but I'll try.

On the subject of the gay-bashing incident at the Phillies game, in the over two weeks since I mailed the general manager a letter I have received no reply, so today I wrote a letter to the managing partner and copied him the orginal letter, while also copying today's letter to the nonresponsive general manager. With all of this copying you'd think someone ought to respond. I'll let you know!

On a lighter note, I believe I have planned every plannable moment of our upcoming WDW trip and that leaves me a bit depressed! Still, next Sunday morning, I'll be on the phone seeing if I can book all the right ADs.

mickeysaver
08-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, Mickey, this is Emily Litella. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but, my goodness, they don't even have ESL up here and, you know, the more time goes by, the harder it is to contact the living.

What's all this fuss I hear about gay onions? Honestly, I don't even know how you would tell the difference. Do they really need to pass a constitutional amendment against gay onions? They don't seem like much of a problem to me. Mostly I just chop them up and mix them in with meatloaf or spaghetti sauce or just about anything. I've never noticed whether there was any problem with gay onions. They all taste the same to me. If we ban gay onions, what's next? Gay cucumbers? Gay watermelons?

And another thing...I'm very puzzled about that man you elected president. Ever since he was elected, he keeps talking about his man date. Well now, you'd think that that's the kind of thing that he wouldn't want people to know about, yet he talks about it every time I hear him and he seems to be very proud of it. How can he be against same-sex relationships and then date a man? What does Laura think of this relationship and does she actually approve of his dating a man? Also I have not heard any denouncements by the Christian right when he announced that he had a man date. Where are Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell now?

All I can think of is that someone was going to leak something about him and he decided to be up front about it. Just like what they did to that poor Mr. Nixon. But you know, I never understood why everyone got so upset about buglers at the Watergate Hotel. I can understand why people at the hotel were upset. After all, a bugle is a very loud instrument and I'm sure they woke up a lot of people, but to throw out a president just because he paid for some musicians to play at a hotel...it just doesn't make any sense. You know, I think it was the same people who were against violins on television. Now why don't parents want their children to see violins on television? Why, I thought the Leonard Bernstein concerts were just lovely. Now, if they only show the violins after 11:00 at night, the little babies will all be asleep. And they won't learn any music appreciation! Why, they'll end up wanting to play guitar, and bongo drums. And go to Africa and join these rock and roll outfits. And they won't drink milk! I say there should be more violins on television!

Really, what's going on down there? The longer I'm gone the less sense it makes. But thanks for thinking of me Nicky. The only thing I miss is the toast.

God, I miss Gilda. Thanks for that. Maggie

lovesmickey
08-30-2005, 06:22 PM
First of all Thanks for the Welcome's!

RickinNYC - Congrats on your 15 years! That's great! We will be arriving at WDW on October 15th and leaving on the 28th.

Viki - This trip will is only our second trip to WDW. We are so excited to be returning. This is the plans:
1st day, We arrive at 1:50
Going to the Magic Kingdom - Dinner anywhere - EMH's
2nd day, Typhon Lagoon - relaxing in the sun playing in the water
Liberty Tree Tavern at the MK for Dinner and then Trick or Treating at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
3rd Day, Princess Storybook Breakfast - and the day at EPCOT
Dinner at LeCellier - Special Anniversary Cake.
4th Day, DTD - Disney Quest - Dinner at 1900 Park Fare
5th day, Breakfast at Chef Mickeys - MGM Studios - Fantasmic Pkg at Hollywood & Vine
6th Day, Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast - Day at the Magic Kingdom
7th Day, Donalds Breakfastosurs - Day at Animal Kingdom
8th Day, Crystal Palace for breakfast - Day at the Magic Kingdom
9th Day, Food & Wine fest at EPCOT - Marrakesh for Dinner
10th Day, DTD for shopping or maybe MK for a Casey's hot dog before going home.

We are planning on our early breakfasts, enjoying the parks, maybe back to the resort for an afternoon rest or a swim or our favorite pastime DTD to shop and then back to the parks for the evenings.

With it only being our second trip we want to do everything we did the last trip and more (not sure how we will do that). I had forgot about the carriage rides so now I am going to have to see if I can book us one of those.

One last thing - like everyone else we morphed into one many years ago and, our dog LOVES Ice Cream. She is a regular at the DQ drive up window! ::MickeyMo

mickeysaver
08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Took me a while to find this thread, but it's been a great read. Except for the part about the the incident that Viki had at the Phillies game. City of Brotherly Love...right. I am sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately, there are jerks everywhere, luckily, larger cities usually help lower your chances of finding them. We live in Atlanta, the city too busy to hate, but tell that to the folks that were at the Otherside the night that Eric Robert Rudolf set a bomb off in the bar. Luckily, my partner at the time and I decided not to go out that night, otherwise, we would have been there. I felt so sorry for anyone that was there that night. The one thing that circulated through my mind the entire evening that I first went to a lesbian bar was that, OMG, please don't let someone throw a bomb in here....I would have to tell my Dad about this at the worst possible time, if they did. Luckily, I was blessed to be able to tell my Dad on my own terms. I love my Dad. I always wondered if there was anyone forced "out" that night. I prayed for all of them.

Anyway, a few other random thoughts......

If we have a separate board on the DIS, I propose that it be called the Rainbow Connection board. Can you tell that I love the Muppets? I think it might be neat.

I once ran into a parent from one of the families in our pediatric office at a restaurant and had she asked me if Gabby was my husband, my son, my friend......it was awkward since I know that she is a Bible thumper.....I told her that Gabby was my roommate. I don't mind telling most folks the truth, but I also have a pretty good sense of who I need to bend the truth for also. I have grey hair and am 37 years old, she is 31 and has a baby face. Needless to say, neither of us appreciates the confusion, but what are ya' gonna do? At least it's better than the neighbor next door. Mr. Massey, who is in his late 70's, was actually the owner of the house that we bought this year. He thought for months after the sale that Gabby was a boy. She may not be blessed with large breasts, but she certainly doesn't look like a boy. Another neighbor of ours clued him in because we just didn't have the heart to tell him.

One day, I would love to see an off season gay/lesbian couples meet.....maybe even a cruise. Gabby and I have been together for 6 years now. We do not feel the need to have major PDA, yes, we hold hands and occasionally steal a quick peck kiss, but it's discreet. We are not out to wave the rainbow flag or educate anyone either, we just want to be. We love WDW. We love to see our inner children come out to play. It's what lures us back to WDW again and again. We are not big partiers or drinkers. Gabby gets goofy after one Smirnoff Twisted, so needless to say, she is a cheap date. lol I appreciate the info on PI's Thursday night ratio....we might need to update our itinerary.....again.

We know that this trip will most likely be our last for quite awhile. The house needs some TLC, so the mouse is going to need to wait for a few years. That thought makes every moment of our upcoming trip even more precious. We wouldn't be going to WDW this year, except that Gabby's family lives in FL and she wants one last family trip with her mom and her sisters. My mother outlaw's health is not all that great, so we need to make all the good memories happen while we can. So, I am working my buns off to make it happen. I would do anything to make her happy.

I guess that's all that I can input here, but if anyone see's us with our lime green Mickey Heads, please say hello! Maggie

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/7293yszWD/140293.jpg
Maggie, Pluto, & Gabby at the Ice Cream Social in 2002

bubie2.5
08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi, I just found this thread, for the first time a DIS meet is starting to sound good to me. :p

If we have a separate board on the DIS, I propose that it be called the Rainbow Connection board. Can you tell that I love the Muppets? I think it might be neat.

That's a great idea!

Valentine
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone! I am back home.. I had a GREAT trip and I see you all have been oh so busy while I have been gone!! Welcome to all the new folks!!

I have to admit that I was quite fearful in my beginning DIS days of mentioning the "gay" aspect of me here on the boards.. but it seems that this thread has been sort of a second "coming out" for all of us here on the DIS!! LOL!! Nice to meet everyone... and I hope we can get to know each other very well... I like having a place to fit in.. since there are many other threads where i just don't feel really comfortable... I think the idea of a gay dis thread would be a fabulous idea..perhaps we should bring it up to the mods??

Anyway.. back to my trip... I went solo... and had a fabulous time. My first time staying as a DVC member.. and wow it was great!!! I stayed at the Beach Club Villas and all I can say is WOW!! I also stayed at Universal - Hard Rock one weekend and then Portofino the second Weekend.. with disney in the middle. The Portofino is absolutely Beautiful!!

I did many first time things.. even though I thought I had done it all!! My most exciting moment was finding my first Paint Brush on Tom Sawyer's Island!! I can't believe I did it.. but I didn't take it.. i conveniently guided a little girl to it so that she could "find" it herself!! She was so excited as she had been dogging my footsteps in the hopes that I would lead her to it! LOL!! What a great moment!

It was VERY HOT.. but manageable... I did the parks in the morning, pools in the afternoons and then back to the parks at night. I did EMH evening at Magic Kingdom and reports are partially correct. They are crowded... for the first hour.. but if you can stick it out.. or just show up after the first hour.. I ate during the first hour and just did the not so popular stuff first... then after that first hour the crowds started dispersing and the park was lots of fun at night... the EMH in the morning at Magic Kingdom is still the absolute BEST TIME to hit the Magic Kingdom... I had done all of Fantasy Land, TomorrowLand, Tom Sawyer's Island, all the mountains, and the teacups.. all by 11 am... what a morning!!

Oh.. the one thing I did notice was that with this Free Dining thing (which i did not partake in.. AP & DVC.. so not eligible).. All of the restaurants in the Magic Kingdom were PACKED on the EMH nights.. and pretty darn crowded most nights in general... there were many people wandering around with the little sheets telling them where they could eat and they were getting frustrated that they couldn't just walk up and sit down and eat... So.. us DIS'ers have the upper hand cause we know to make our PS's. or AR's!! LOL! But, I have to say it pretty much sucks for the poor people who have NO clue that they need to make the AR's early in the day or days before... I found myself helping many folks to find their way out of the parks and to other eating establishments nearby... Forwarned.... is what is that saying???

Oh.. I also made it a point to do Photopass... everywhere I went if I saw a photographer I handed over my card and took my pose! LOL!! I like most of the pics... although I also had some of them use my camera also.. so i do have some free good shots... I will buy some.. just have to choose my favorites!... this is a great idea.. and especially good for solo's or for those of you wanting pics together!

I did not make it to PI on thursday night though! Sorry VICKI!! I don't remember why at this moment.. but I am sure it will come to me!! LOL!!

I will report more.. later.. I just wanted to take a moment to say HI! feel free to ask questions!!

Kathy

Viki
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Hey Maggie and Gabbie (and Pluto!), great to meet you! Thanks for hunting this thread down and checking in. I'm only sorry your upcoming trip will be your last for awhile!

But about that upcoming trip, will our dates overlap? We're there from 12/3-12/11. It would be great to meet up.

(My partner, Gwen, gets mistaken for a boy/guy ALL the time. She smirks, I smile).

Viki
08-31-2005, 07:12 AM
And, oh my goodness, I just noticed. Gabbie has Gwen's hat on!!!

Viki
08-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Hi, I just found this thread, for the first time a DIS meet is starting to sound good to me. :p

LOL! My thoughts exactly! Welcome home!

Viki
08-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey, Kathy, welcome back! I'm just the little posting binger today, but it's so great to see everyone saying hi.

You liked the BCV? We have two ownership interests, BCV and BW, but BCV is my favorite. We love everything about it and that's where we are headed in December, though I have to admit I'm already looking forward to our stay at AKL next August.

bubie2.5
08-31-2005, 07:38 AM
But about that upcoming trip, will our dates overlap? We're there from 12/3-12/11. It would be great to meet up.

My family will be on WDW at that time. Now I only have can convince my partner that we can fit it in our budget. We just bought a beach front property and she wants to start building right away. So that means no more vacationing this year.
Can someone help me organizing a CHEAP trip to WDW?

RickinNYC
08-31-2005, 08:36 AM
DIS MEET in NYC!

I say all you folks come to NYC for a weekend for a meet! Joe and I, and Kathy, will be your official greeters and tour guides. Plus, we'll show you the best places to get great cheap eats and good cocktails!

Viki
08-31-2005, 08:45 AM
DIS MEET in NYC!

I say all you folks come to NYC for a weekend for a meet! Joe and I, and Kathy, will be your official greeters and tour guides. Plus, we'll show you the best places to get great cheap eats and good cocktails!

That's not a bad idea, Rick. Gwen and I are often in the Big Apple for dinner and a show. Most recently we saw "Pillowman" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?" After all of that existential drama, personally, I'm ready for some dancing girls!!! Or, at the very least, some flying witches!

On another note, I'm not big on editing, BUT I did just change the name of the thread so that it would more accurately reflect the community that seems to forming around it. (Previously, it was Gay-friendly Night?).

RickinNYC
08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
That's not a bad idea, Rick. Gwen and I are often in the Big Apple for dinner and a show. Most recently we saw "Pillowman" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?" After all of that existential drama, personally, I'm ready for some dancing girls!!! Or, at the very least, some flying witches!

On another note, I'm not big on editing, BUT I did just change the name of the thread so that it would more accurately reflect the community that seems to forming around it. (Previously, it was Gay-friendly Night?).

That would be a lot of fun! Well... you can ogle the dancing girls. I'll critique their fashion choice.

Ok, so it's Rick, Joe, Kathy, Gwen and Vicki for a mini-meet so far. I think everyone else should consider their options and come for a weekend!

Valentine
08-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Yay!!! Yay!!! DIsney mini meet in NYC!!! I am all for it!! Well.. I just went and booked my next trip.. yeah, yeah.. I know.. I just got back!! LOL!! But I can't stand not knowing when I am going back!! I just put a hold on a room at Saratoga for the 1st through the 6th of January!! yipppppeeeeee!!! AND.. I may have a new girlfriend to actually go with this time! Wow.. things are looking up! :)

Kathy :love:

TomTO
09-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone in this thread from Canada? Perhaps the Toronto area? Or, am I wishing too hard :earseek:

PeterPanFanWDW
09-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Ok, so it's Rick, Joe, Kathy, Gwen and Vicki for a mini-meet so far. I think everyone else should consider their options and come for a weekend!

:(

We'd love to go, but probably can't swing it. I'm so embarassed to admit I've never been to NYC. GASP!!! :earseek:

We'll just have to wait until ya'all get to Orlando and do many mini-meets.

Hi Tom -- sorry, we are not from Canada, but if you are ever in our neck of the woods, let us know! :cool1:

PPF

joanjett1976
09-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone in this thread from Canada? Perhaps the Toronto area? Or, am I wishing too hard :earseek:

I'm in Montreal, i think I'm as close as you get on this thread! pirate:

Viki
09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Valentine, did you post a trip report??? I'd love to read it.

And congrats on the girlfriend!

:sunny: :sunny:

Viki
09-01-2005, 10:52 AM
My family will be on WDW at that time. Now I only have can convince my partner that we can fit it in our budget. We just bought a beach front property and she wants to start building right away. So that means no more vacationing this year.
Can someone help me organizing a CHEAP trip to WDW?

:guilty: A cheap trip to WDW is so totally beyond me these days. I'm afraid, like with camping, I'm heading in precisely the opposite direction. I started out with a sleeping bag next to the fire and now it's nothing less than a 37-foot RV.

With disney, I started out with day trips (back in the 70s) and now it's nothing less than DVC or AKL Concierge. I'm not proud, just getting too old to rough it. :rotfl2:

Valentine
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Nope.. didn't have a chance to post an actual trip report yet... I tend to get too wordy and then I never finish them!! LOL!!! I am certainly hoping to get one up by this weekend though.. at least an abbreviated version!! LOL!!!

Kathy

bubie2.5
09-01-2005, 10:37 PM
:guilty: A cheap trip to WDW is so totally beyond me these days. I'm afraid, like with camping, I'm heading in precisely the opposite direction. I started out with a sleeping bag next to the fire and now it's nothing less than a 37-foot RV.

With disney, I started out with day trips (back in the 70s) and now it's nothing less than DVC or AKL Concierge. I'm not proud, just getting too old to rough it. :rotfl2:

LOL Viki, it doesn't HAVE to be cheap, it just has to LOOK cheap to help me get my partner to agree to it. (insert evil laught here). :teeth:

TomTO
09-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for responding Joanjetti1976. Guess you and I are the only ones :)

That's too bad, I'm really trying to get a club or something going in Canada with "our kind of people". Much more fun :rotfl:

Where did everyone get the cool MM in rainbow colours (see, I'm from Canada ... you can tell because of the way I spell c-o-l-o-u-r-s !!!

Cheers.

Tom

Viki
09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Where did everyone get the cool MM in rainbow colours (see, I'm from Canada ... you can tell because of the way I spell c-o-l-o-u-r-s !!!

Cheers.

Tom

Hi Tom! Welcome. Sorry we're not in Canada, though the last episode of "Queer as Folk" might have begun a mad exodus to the land north of us, especially among lesbian folk!

About the rainbow Mickey - I spied it on Chuck's signature and he graciously let me copy it. Just this week someone else copied it from me. Feel free, if you like. It's great to see so many.

bubie2.5
09-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Some good news here. (http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_2995394)
:cheer2:

PeterPanFanWDW
09-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Vicki shared with us as well and we LOVE it! http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/jester.gif

Thanks Vicki!

PPF

Viki
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Vicki shared with us as well and we LOVE it! http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/jester.gif

Thanks Vicki!

PPF

You're very welcome, friend. It looks aweful spiffy on you!

Kevin&Randall
09-03-2005, 06:43 AM
It happened again last night. We went to a restaurant and the first thing the hostess says, "Are you two brothers? You look like twins." Then when we tell her we are not, she seemed incredibly surprised. I think I'm going back to answering "yes."

We intended to do Gay Days this year, but on the Saturday it was pouring rain. I don't need to torture myself to have a good time. Since we live in the area, it isn't hard to go when we want to.

Food & Wine is our favorite time of year. We find ourselves there most weekends sampling stuff, enjoying the weather and friends/family.

Randall

missj171
09-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi, I wandered randomly over into this board/thread and have been gripped by the gay friendly frivolity! Great to see so many friendly rainbow people on here, and for a gay thread NOT to descend into bible quoting mayhem....

Anyway, me and my girl are off to Disney Paris in a few days - can't wait! I hope the friendliness is in evidence there too - I don't know that my French is up to explaining our situation to get the right bed etc.!

I told her about Gay Days and she was very excited, so maybe one day we'll make it over there. Although I'm like a lot of you who puts the Disney before the Gay aspect of the holiday - but we'll see!

We don't get much of the sisters confusion - but then we were best friends before we got together (aww) - but we do get the amalgamated names troubles! In fact, people just refer to us as 'the one who isn't the other one' when they're trying to remember our names - which is sad!

PeterPanFanWDW
09-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Welcome MissJ! Hope you have a wonderful time at DLP, we've yet to make it there but it's on our last of hopeful future visits.

Hope everyone is doing well today!

Take care.

PPF

Poohsmommi
09-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Hello hello! My name is Sheri and I am in Cape Coral, Florida. Heading to Disney the following dates so far:

9/30 - 10/4
11/27 - 12/2

anyone going to be there during those times?

Viki
09-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Hello hello! My name is Sheri and I am in Cape Coral, Florida. Heading to Disney the following dates so far:

9/30 - 10/4
11/27 - 12/2

Oh, drat, Poohsmommie! We'll miss you by one day, as we're coming in 12/3 and staying through 12/11.

In fact, as we speak, I have three disney vacations in mind and two booked. The first is coming up fast (though not fast enough; we're used to traveling down right after labor day weekend, so we're all going through withdrawal) for 12/3-12/11 at BCV. The second is our anniversary trip 8/26-9/2 AKL 2006. And for the third we're thinking a long weekend at OKW next Xmas - the first week of Dec or so - before the PAP and DDE from this year expires.

And I won't be surprised if we also fit in a quick trip to the Dolphin just to SEE!

Anyway, if anyone's going to be down around those times, let us know!

Have a good one!

bubie2.5
09-07-2005, 07:05 PM

9/30 - 10/4
11/27 - 12/2

Hi Sheri, I just wanted to comment on your tag... you are my hero!!

Viki
09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi Sheri, I just wanted to comment on your tag... you are my hero!!

Oh my goodness! I just saw that tag... I know when I lived in Fla back in the early 70s we were always ushering friends and family through the park (yup, only one back then), but 56 trips in 3 years!!! That's unbelievable. How are you doing that?

lynn71092
09-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Sheri, can you join us?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=873581

:drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

Viki
09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Sheri, can you join us?

I am not a big drinker (well, OK, I am big and I do drink), but Oh my goodness, that sounds like so much fun.

Viki
09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, reality set in and the Xmas 2006 trip to OKW is bagged. There's is just too much going on. Our teens will be in San Antonia that July for a youth gathering, we'll be in AKL for our anniversary, and then my DP's family is hosting us at their timeshare in the mts of VA (sounds nice, but let's face it - it's not disney). So while Gwen and I might get away for a quick weekend early in 2007, I think our next trip will be back to BCV for our daughter's graduation from HS. She'll get to bring two friends, and our son, who will gradutate the following year - and will get to do the same - will invite one friend, and we'll just hang out at the resort, keep score of the comings and goings of 3 teenage girls and 2 teenage boys, and practice ducking! :rotfl2:

Anyway, there hasn't been that much activity on this thread in a couple of days so I just wanted to check in. How's everyone doing and when's the next trip. We're getting very excited about Dec!

bubie2.5
09-11-2005, 03:36 PM
She'll get to bring two friends, and our son, who will gradutate the following year - and will get to do the same - will invite one friend, and we'll just hang out at the resort, keep score of the comings and goings of 3 teenage girls and 2 teenage boys, and practice ducking! :rotfl2:

:eek: 5 teens!!!!!!You're one brave woman.

Viki
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
:eek: 5 teens!!!!!!You're one brave woman.

Brave, crazy, twisted, seriously wacked, will do anything to have an excuse to visit the world - you got it!

I have to say though that we told both the kids today and they are seriously excited. We'll host their friends at BCV, of course, and we'll pay for their arifare, but then each of their friends will have to pay for their food, park ticket, and any spending money they'd like to bring along. So it's a nice deal for their friends but they'll still need the time between now and then to save up about $800.00 each. If I know my daughter she'll end up saving money from her job at BK and helping her friends out.

This is one of the main reasons we bought into DVC - so that we can host family and friends. It's always been good.

Poohsmommi
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Oh my goodness! I just saw that tag... I know when I lived in Fla back in the early 70s we were always ushering friends and family through the park (yup, only one back then), but 56 trips in 3 years!!! That's unbelievable. How are you doing that?

Ya know - I had no idea I had been so much .... when I called to make my ressies for my upcoming September trip, the CM told me LOL We got up a lot on the weekends.

Poohsmommi
09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Sheri, can you join us?

I'd love to, but I won't be able to - I'll have my 8-year old with me!

joanjett1976
09-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Has anyone else attempted to drink their way around the world? I am afraid to call it a day somewhere near Italy. :earboy2:

Had a few this Saturday and let's just saw these here adult bones were feeling the burn the following day!

Meezers
09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Viki....just started reading this thread and had to say....

You realize those guys at the Phillies game were being horses' behinds cause they were jealous....you had a girl....bet they didnt'!

FYI....not gay but sworn off men for the rest of my life! Does that make me asexual?

jamieandben
09-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Will anyone be there 9-17-05 - 9-24-05
like to meet up :wizard:

Viki
09-14-2005, 08:33 AM
We got up a lot on the weekends.

Ya think???

Viki
09-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Has anyone else attempted to drink their way around the world? I am afraid to call it a day somewhere near Italy. :earboy2:

Had a few this Saturday and let's just saw these here adult bones were feeling the burn the following day!

Joan, let's put it this way: If I started at Mexico, I'd end at Norway.

For example, last night I was back at the ballpark (still no word yet over the bashing incident, despite two letters, one to Ed Wade and one to David Montgomery and it's been forever, so I think that's it), and we had seats in the Hall of Fame section, a portion of the stadium that gives you access to a REAL bar! Woo-hoo. I went wild. I had 2 margerittas! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

No, really, that's wild for me. Sigh...

Viki
09-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Viki....just started reading this thread and had to say....

You realize those guys at the Phillies game were being horses' behinds cause they were jealous....you had a girl....bet they didnt'!

FYI....not gay but sworn off men for the rest of my life! Does that make me asexual?

LOL!!!

Isn't that the truth. And, you're absolutely right. Not a woman in sight. Which makes me wonder: perhaps I misinterpreted the whole event. Perhaps that was really the lugs way of making a pass! You know, like in gradeschool, when the boy runs up and tugs your hair! Wow, look at what I missed - and, apparently, your still missing!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Laurajean1014
09-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Aren't all the threads on the DisBoards, gay-friendly?

I sure hope so.

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 09:01 AM
:cool1: I'm so glad that this thread is on here. :goodvibes

I'm Angela btw. I am new on her, but my older sister Rocadonismom used to be on for hours every day last year or maybe even the year before. lol.

Viki
09-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi, Angela! Great to have you with us! Like your sister, I, too, can spend hours here. In fact, I have to pull myself away NOW to get this day going.

To LauraJean - Yes, that's generally been my experience. I'm all over the boards. When this thread started it was orginally entitiled "Gay-friendly night." I was asking about Thursday nights at PI and whether or not it was true that there are a few more gay folk there that night than any other (the answer appears to be yes). But, then, we branched out and starting forming this little community, I went back and edited the thread title to read "Gay-friendly thread."

DMRick
09-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Anyway, me and my girl are off to Disney Paris in a few days - can't wait! I hope the friendliness is in evidence there too - I don't know that my French is up to explaining our situation to get the right bed etc.!

I don't think you will have to worry about that. We spent a couple weeks (hubby and I) in Paris a few years ago, and gay couples appeared very much the norm. Hubby and I were begining to think we were the only straight couple on the walking bridge over the river, where "everyone" had gathered with a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine.
Nice to see this thread remain a "nice" thread.

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Nice to meet you too Viki! I think I might end up spending hours here as well.

When are gay days for 2006? That would be a lovely addition to next years cruise. I haven't put the deposit down on that one so I can switch it to match going to wdw for a few days. I think it would be wonderful for me and my SO to be there for gay days.

I have also heard a lot of mention of doing it in 2007. That would work for me. It would be nice to have a 3rd year of disney vacationing lined up.

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM

How was that? I have been wanting to go to AKL with the Mrs. and me, being spoiled, wanted concierge. Is it worth it? Perhaps we will book that for our 2007 vacation.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any problems adding on the romantic getaway package on a room on the ship with a same-sex couple. I want the no hassle palo's seating. :love:

I drank my way around the world in 2003 and ended in Mexico. I was 19 then with my mom and aunt so it was only sips. This year I am 21 and I will be there from October 28 - November 3 during the food and wine festival. I am not a big drinker like a lot of people my age, but I do love a great glass of wine. I can't wait to try it again.

Oh if anyone is going to be there during my dates let me know. :)

Viki
09-14-2005, 12:21 PM
How was that? I have been wanting to go to AKL with the Mrs. and me, being spoiled, wanted concierge. Is it worth it? Perhaps we will book that for our 2007 vacation.

I'll let you know as soon as I know! I just booked the AKL trip last week. I started with a split stay, 4 nights standard, 4 nights concierge, but then I just upgraded the whole stay trip to concierge. It's our 20th anniverary stay, so what the heck. I'm really going to go all out. She doesn't read these boards so it's safe to post that I'm going to order flowers in the room every day, with other surprises of fancy chocolates and champagne here and there, just to keep us on our toes. We'll do both the safaris and also dine for the first time at Victoria and Alberts. My only problem is that the trip is still 11 months and 1 week away!

Thank goodness we have a trip in December. That's one of our usual DVC trips, which we love because we rent the 1 or 2-bedrooms and then have the full kitchen, living room, and such.

I'm afraid I know nothing about the cruise ships (I first wrote, "I know nothing about cruising! Good Lord), but I know we have someone on this thread who does it a lot. Perhaps they'll speak up with some information that might help you. Good question!

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Viki] I'm afraid I know nothing about the cruise ships (I first wrote, "I know nothing about cruising! Good Lord) [QUOTE]

That is so wonderful! Very romantic. I can't wait to hear about it. (hopefully I am still able to be on the boards by then.)

There is another thing I have been wondering about. (gosh I am posting a lot today) I have heard a lot of mention about getting a gift basket from theperfectgift. How do you customize it and how do you get it sent to your room? Is there another thread for this....I'll look that up while I wait for a response. Thank you!

joanjett1976
09-14-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I know! I just booked the AKL trip last week. I started with a split stay, 4 nights standard, 4 nights concierge, but then I just upgraded the whole stay trip to concierge. It's our 20th anniverary stay, so what the heck. I'm really going to go all out. She doesn't read these boards so it's safe to post that I'm going to order flowers in the room every day, with other surprises of fancy chocolates and champagne here and there, just to keep us on our toes. We'll do both the safaris and also dine for the first time at Victoria and Alberts. My only problem is that the trip is still 11 months and 1 week away!

:love:
OOh, that sound wonderful! I will have my gf read your post. I want tuxedo strawberries in my AKL room on my birthday, i say! We've already planned breakfast at Boma and dinner at Jiko on that day, but a girl's gotta have a mid-day choco snack, know what I'm sayin?

On our last trip we stayed at POFQ and stepped out to AKL for breakfast and fell in love with the place. How great is that kenyan coffee at BOMA?

Ok, I must really get back to work :rolleyes1

Viki
09-14-2005, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Viki] I'm afraid I know nothing about the cruise ships (I first wrote, "I know nothing about cruising! Good Lord) [QUOTE]
There is another thing I have been wondering about. (gosh I am posting a lot today) I have heard a lot of mention about getting a gift basket from theperfectgift. How do you customize it and how do you get it sent to your room? Is there another thread for this....I'll look that up while I wait for a response. Thank you!

I'm clueless (I'm going to do all of my ordering through the IPO), anyone?

Viki
09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
:love:
OOh, that sound wonderful! I will have my gf read your post. I want tuxedo strawberries in my AKL room on my birthday, i say! We've already planned breakfast at Boma and dinner at Jiko on that day, but a girl's gotta have a mid-day choco snack, know what I'm sayin?

Oh, I hear you! Now you've got to have your gf hear you while keeping it all absolutely spontaneous, a big surprise, and all HER idea. :rotfl2:

Myself, I decided on the opposite course. I'm taking charge and sending it all, that way I know I'll get it!!!

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 02:35 PM
IPO? Not sure what that means.

wdwjunkie2005
09-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Aren't all the threads on the DisBoards, gay-friendly?

I sure hope so.

I think they are, since the man who founded the DIS is openly gay (correct me if I'm wrong). He wrote a piece back in June about why he won't be going to Gay Days this year. The title caught my eye, because I hadn't been on the DIS for long, and I thought it would be a diatribe about "Evil Gays" taking over the parks, but was I pleasantly surprised!

I too, am glad this thread is here. When I post on other threads and mention my DW and I know my posts clearly indicate that I am also someone's DW, I always think someone may tell me I put the wrong abbreviation. We live in MA, and she *is* my DW (as of May 29, 2004). [Great news, by the way: Today the Massachusetts Legislature rejected the proposed constitutional amendment that would to ban gay marriage but legalize civil unions. People are finally realizing the sky isn't falling down! We'll see what happens from here, but I do think time is on our side. Otherwise, it's "Goodbye America, Bonjour Montreal!"]

Oh, how rude of me. This is my first post on this thread, so I guess I should intro myself. My name is Meredith. :earsgirl:

Viki
09-14-2005, 03:32 PM
IPO? Not sure what that means.

Well, me either really! That is, I haven't actually talked to one yet. But from what I understand, when you book concierge they are the Itinerary Planning Office and they can help you with your ADRs, special activities, and special orders. For the 20th anniversary trip, I plan to make full use of them.

joanjett1976
09-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I too, am glad this thread is here. When I post on other threads and mention my DW and I know my posts clearly indicate that I am also someone's DW, I always think someone may tell me I put the wrong abbreviation. We live in MA, and she *is* my DW (as of May 29, 2004). [Great news, by the way: Today the Massachusetts Legislature rejected the proposed constitutional amendment that would to ban gay marriage but legalize civil unions. People are finally realizing the sky isn't falling down! We'll see what happens from here, but I do think time is on our side. Otherwise, it's "Goodbye America, Bonjour Montreal!"]

Oh, how rude of me. This is my first post on this thread, so I guess I should intro myself. My name is Meredith. :earsgirl:

well congratulations meredith! :earsgirl:

Viki
09-14-2005, 03:36 PM

Hi, Meredith. Welcome and I'm so jealous. I've lived in Pa, only broken by a 4-year stint in Fla (90 minutes from WDW), all of my like and there is much I love about it, but the possibility of legalzed gay marriage is never going to be one of 'em, because in my life time in ain't happening. We're not exactly backwards, but we are sooo far from progressive.

SparklieSunShine
09-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Hello Meredith!

I hope they legalize gay marriage in Pa, not that it matters much to me because I am one of those hippy-types who does not see marriage in her lifes plan regardless, but what is available to some should be available to all.

Oh if only.

I'm right there with you with moving to Canada. I swore if Bush got reelected I would move then, but I wasn't in the position to do so. If things don't shape up in the next few years I'm out.

Valentine
09-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Hey everyone!!! Catching up and saying HI!!! Been running around...Just wanted to say HI to everyone and nice to see that we are all keeping up with the thread!!

Just my 2 cents... AKL Concierge is the BEST on property Concierge!! Ask for Donald to help with your plans! He is what Disney is supposed to be and then some!! He has been a Concierge host for years and years.. starting over at the Poly.. where I first encountered him along with Diane. She also works a the AKL Concierge.. but sometimes goes under a differents name.. i think she is Juanita there!! LOLL DON"T ASK!! I just call her Sybil!!! She is also the sweetest person you could EVER want to know!! Bring her anything "frog like" and she will be your best friend!

I would stay there in a heartbeat again! I usually go and visit the gang whenever I am in town.

Sounds like your anniversary trip will be fabulous Vik! Enjoy!!

to all the "new folks" Welcome.... Nice to get to "know" all of you!!

See you all around!

Kathy :)

Belle23
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I think they are, since the man who founded the DIS is openly gay (correct me if I'm wrong). He wrote a piece back in June about why he won't be going to Gay Days this year. The title caught my eye, because I hadn't been on the DIS for long, and I thought it would be a diatribe about "Evil Gays" taking over the parks, but was I pleasantly surprised!

Welcome Meredith!! :wave2: I am with you on moving to Canada. :bride: My partner and I always say that's what we want to do!! Viki your trip sounds so wonderful and I hope your upcoming trip and your anniversary trip is a great one. :daisy:

Viki
09-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Valentine- thanks for the referrals. I have heard wonderful things about Don. As you can see from the ticker, we're about 11 months out from that trip. I was thinking that at about 6 months out I would e-mail Don, introduce myself, explain my vision for the trip, and enlist his aid. Does all of that sound right to you?

Belle- Thank you! We are looking forward to that anniversary trip too much! Thank god we have the Xmas trip this December. As I mentioned before, we have two friends flying down from your city - OK city - to join us. It wil be their first trip and we hope it's a great one. Maybe we'll be able to entice them back, but one of them swears NOT! :rotfl2:
We've been out to visit them in OK city twice and loved both of our stays.

Have a good one!

Belle23
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Valentine- thanks for the referrals. I have heard wonderful things about Don. As you can see from the ticker, we're about 11 months out from that trip. I was thinking that at about 6 months out I would e-mail Don, introduce myself, explain my vision for the trip, and enlist his aid. Does all of that sound right to you?

Belle- Thank you! We are looking forward to that anniversary trip too much! Thank god we have the Xmas trip this December. As I mentioned before, we have two friends flying down from your city - OK city - to join us. It wil be their first trip and we hope it's a great one. Maybe we'll be able to entice them back, but one of them swears NOT! :rotfl2:
We've been out to visit them in OK city twice and loved both of our stays.

Have a good one!

Okla City is pretty nice, but honestly I can't wait until we can get out of this city. It is hard to think someone might not like WDW. :earseek: It is like the most wonderful place!! :cloud9:

joanjett1976
09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Welcome Meredith!! :wave2: I am with you on moving to Canada. :bride: My partner and I always say that's what we want to do!! Viki your trip sounds so wonderful and I hope your upcoming trip and your anniversary trip is a great one. :daisy:

So everyone is movin' up here? :moped:

Pack your mittens and snowboots! And I'll tell you right now, cheap Orlando airfare is hard to come by from up here!

wdwjunkie2005
09-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Pack your mittens and snowboots! And I'll tell you right now, cheap Orlando airfare is hard to come by from up here!

I'd be glad to pay for pricey airfare if it meant that I live in a place where I know I am really married! :bride: :bride: Despite the state legislature's ruling yesterday, our marriage could still be taken away. We still have a long way to go. Feel like our marriage certificate should have PENDING stamped across it. A female co-worker just married a man and I feel jealous because wherever they go, they are married, no doubt about it.

I guess I should talk about THE WORLD, since that's why we're here! I am taking my first solo trip in December. DW doesn't want to go, but is very supportive of my addiction. She won't have to listen to WDW talk for an entire week! :earboy2:

Viki
09-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Oh, it's sooooo cold! :cold: :cold: :cold:

I could never!

If I had my druthers, I'd move further south, perhaps the Atlanta area - closer to the World and a lot warmer. But DP and her family are all up this way, so up this way we stay.

OH! BTW, I heard from the Phillies organization yesterday about the bashing incident. They apologized for the delay in getting back to me - someone was on vacation. Beyond that, their response was polite and concerned, and they said they would raise the matter with security. I guess that was about the best I could hope for. We're back at the stadium tonight to see if the Phillies can take four from the Braves (you see the problem I would have if I actually lived in Atlanta!).

Thanks for being so supportive "you all."

SparklieSunShine
09-15-2005, 01:42 PM
It's still kind of a shame that they didn't do more....free tickets or something I don't know just to show they were sincere. Still I guess something is better than nothing. Me and the mrs. were bashed when we were 16 at a local mall... I wish I would have been able to do something about it. We didn't tell anyone.

Belle23
09-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I'd be glad to pay for pricey airfare if it meant that I live in a place where I know I am really married! :bride: :bride: Despite the state legislature's ruling yesterday, our marriage could still be taken away. We still have a long way to go. Feel like our marriage certificate should have PENDING stamped across it. A female co-worker just married a man and I feel jealous because wherever they go, they are married, no doubt about it.

I guess I should talk about THE WORLD, since that's why we're here! I am taking my first solo trip in December. DW doesn't want to go, but is very supportive of my addiction. She won't have to listen to WDW talk for an entire week! :earboy2:

My sister is getting married next month( to a man!!lol) and we are going dress shopping this weekend. She feels guilty about being so excited about her wedding because she knows I don't get the same rights as she does. I am going to feel a little sad when she is trying on her white wedding dress and I only get to try on my maid of honor dresses. Maybe someday I will get to have it turned around and it be me in the white dress!! Viki I guess it is good that they at least got back to you even though it took so long. Maybe they will make sure nothing like that will happen again. And the cold weather is not a big deal to me I love winter time anyways!! :cold:

belle_of_the_ball
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh, it's sooooo cold! :cold: :cold: :cold:

I could never!

If I had my druthers, I'd move further south, perhaps the Atlanta area - closer to the World and a lot warmer. But DP and her family are all up this way, so up this way we stay.

OH! BTW, I heard from the Phillies organization yesterday about the bashing incident. They apologized for the delay in getting back to me - someone was on vacation. Beyond that, their response was polite and concerned, and they said they would raise the matter with security. I guess that was about the best I could hope for. We're back at the stadium tonight to see if the Phillies can take four from the Braves (you see the problem I would have if I actually lived in Atlanta!).

Thanks for being so supportive "you all."

viki-the phils have never been that great at "getting back to security" a few years back i was like 10 (now 14...go froshies!) and i was hit bye a a cup of stuff (i dont know what...EWWWWWWW) and a security guy saw it. He did nothing. I still dont know why. I (being that I was there w/ some friends) went straight up to him and asked him why he did nothing.....he second glanced me and gave me that "why would i help you?" look and walked away. I was v. offended.....when i got home that night i promptly was a rat and told on him. We sent 3 letter to them and never got anything back...not even a phone call! Its a shame that people feel then need to pick on people just for who they are..I'd like to pick on them for being so stupid, immature, and other words i will not repeat! More power to you for being who you want to be and who you are! :cheer2: I agree w/ the above poster...they should give you something.

well have fun at the game! tell me how our fighting phils do!!!!!!

<3 dunph! princess:

Viki
09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
viki-the phils have never been that great at "getting back to security" a few years back i was like 10 (now 14...go froshies!) and i was hit bye a a cup of stuff (i dont know what...EWWWWWWW) and a security guy saw it. He did nothing. I still dont know why. I (being that I was there w/ some friends) went straight up to him and asked him why he did nothing.....he second glanced me and gave me that "why would i help you?" look and walked away. I was v. offended.....when i got home that night i promptly was a rat and told on him. We sent 3 letter to them and never got anything back...not even a phone call! Its a shame that people feel then need to pick on people just for who they are..I'd like to pick on them for being so stupid, immature, and other words i will not repeat! More power to you for being who you want to be and who you are! :cheer2: I agree w/ the above poster...they should give you something.

well have fun at the game! tell me how our fighting phils do!!!!!!

<3 dunph! princess:

Belle of the Ball: Oh my gosh, Belle, your experience mirrors mine almost perfectly! At least I got a letter back, after sending two.

It's funny, we're meeting up with another partial season ticket holder tonight and we're going to firm up plans - or NOT - to split a full season package. I'm feeling ambivelent and I wouldn't say the incident - or the Phils poor resonse to it - was why, but I don't think it helps.

The way I figure it right now, the difference between a partial and full plan is half a trip to WDW!!!

WDWJunkie: I would absolutely do a solo trip to the World, but everyone in this house is so addicted, no one would let me out of the door!

SparklieSunShine
09-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I think a solo trip would be really relaxing and peaceful. I don't think I could do it for more than a day though...I would get lonely.

joanjett1976
09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm taking my first solo trip Oct 21-24, DL Paris. :wave:
(Making ther most of a business trip!)

I really don't know what to expect. Who's gonna take my picture with Donald Duck? :confused3

SparklieSunShine
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm taking my first solo trip Oct 21-24, DL Paris. :wave:
(Making ther most of a business trip!)

I really don't know what to expect. Who's gonna take my picture with Donald Duck? :confused3

Oh DL Paris. That sounds so fun!

joanjett1976
09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Sparklie-

Have to mention your avatar:I love exploding dog!

Yup, convention in cannes-sneaking out a day early to spend a weekend at DL! Apparently the Halloween festivities are to die for...

Valentine
09-15-2005, 06:59 PM
I have gone solo MANY times.. no gf to take!! LOL! Well.. Until now ;) :) Hopefully "we" will be going that first week in January!! :) YAY!! Solo trips are fantastic!! Do what you want when you want it! Disney is the perfect place to be Solo! Of course it is fun to meet up with friends and such.. but.. hey.. I just got back for 10 days solo.. and i wasn't lonely once!! I LOVED it.. and could have stayed longer!!!!! As for your picture question... the Photopass thing is Great!! Just give them your card.. and also ask them to take one with your camera as well.. and the do.. no questions asked! Most of the time they spend more time with you because you ARE alone!

Go and have a great time!!

Kathy

SparklieSunShine
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Sparklie-

Have to mention your avatar:I love exploding dog!

Thank you for noticing it. :) It is actually Natalie Dee though. I thought her comics were exploding dog when I first found them and the person told me they were by Natalie Dee. She posts a new one every day and I actually like them more than ed now. Quirky, but amusing. The one on my avatar is the hampster implants. Her website is www.nataliedee.com
So great! :sunny:

joanjett1976
09-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Thank you for noticing it. :) It is actually Natalie Dee though. I thought her comics were exploding dog when I first found them and the person told me they were by Natalie Dee. She posts a new one every day and I actually like them more than ed now. Quirky, but amusing. The one on my avatar is the hampster implants. Her website is www.nataliedee.com
So great! :sunny:

Holy moly! The styles are almost identical. Thanks for the tip...

SparklieSunShine
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
:wave2: I just realised that I still don't know this. When are gay days for 2006 & 2007? I don't know if I would really go, but it would be nice to know.

:confused3 Also to those reading who have been to disney with their "partner", how did you feel you were treated by cast members and other park goers? Did you feel comfortable or akward at all? Will they still do the fancy anniversary stuff? I would also be interested in hear people's experiences at the parks with their "partner".

I don't really mind either way as I live in the boonies. I am just wondering what to expect.

:daisy: Thank You! :)

Viki
09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
:wave2: I just realised that I still don't know this. When are gay days for 2006 & 2007? I don't know if I would really go, but it would be nice to know.

:confused3 Also to those reading who have been to disney with their "partner", how did you feel you were treated by cast members and other park goers? Did you feel comfortable or akward at all? Will they still do the fancy anniversary stuff? I would also be interested in hear people's experiences at the parks with their "partner".

I don't really mind either way as I live in the boonies. I am just wondering what to expect.

:daisy: Thank You! :)

Great question! I would love to hear other folks' response.

Gwen and I have never had a problem anywhere in WDW and I'm pretty sure we're mostly perceived as a couple, especially by cast members. Also, we've always traveled with our two children. We're white, they're African American. So, it people want to have issues with our family, they've got lots from which to choose.

As everyone in the universe now knows (because I keep posting it!!!), Gwen and I fully expect to be treated as any other anniversary couple would be and I'm hoping that the combination of terrific cast members and concierge services makes that a reality.

I do know that the one thing about disney which continues to be disappointing is their policy on marriages - that you HAVE to have a valid Fla license in order to plan a "real" wedding on disney property.

dkostel
09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
My xgf and I had been 4 times and never ran across a single cast member, or other guest, who was rude to us. In restaurants we got seated as dates (you know on a 4 top table next to each other rather than across), always got asked if we wanted our pictures taken, (like other families or straight couples). Not surprised about the cast members, Disney must be one of the largest employers of gay people anywhere, but pleasantly surprised about the other guests. I'm from Chicago and I guess I expect that most other places aren't as gay-friendly, but I think for the most part, people at WDW are just having fun, not thinking about prejudices.

BTW my name is Donna.

SparklieSunShine
09-16-2005, 12:36 PM
This is great. I hope more people respond. I am loving the stories about being there and Donna you are giving me really high hopes and spirits for our dinners at Disney.

:cool1: :goodvibes

wdwjunkie2005
09-16-2005, 12:38 PM
My DW and I went twice before we were married in the eyes of MA law, then once after, for our honeymoon. We have always been very careful about who we are out to, so we didn't even tell them we were on our 'moon. :bride: :bride: We even have this habit of messing up the second bed in our hotel room (wherever we go), so that it looks like both beds are being used.

We wanted to both wear the bride ears, but that was out of the question. You never know how people will be, but we did take photos of each other with the ears on. :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

I hate being so untrue to who we are, but I feel like that's the way it has to be. When in THE WORLD, we remember that we are still in the southern US, in a state where gays aren't even allowed to adopt children, and in the state run by the brother of our homophobic president.

But to answer SparlieSunShine's question, no we've never been treated funny by cast members, but as I've pointed out, we don't really give them any reason to suspect we're more than best friends or sisters.

joanjett1976
09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
First all, I believe the next Gay Days will be held May 30-June 4.

As for my experience in the world: I have never encounted any prejudice, I would even go so far as to say we got superior service by some cast members who usually peruse Pleasure Island on thursdays, if you know what I mean. The only funny moments have occured on our last trip when we took a gay male couple on their first time visit. Upon checking in to POFQ they had checked us in as boy/girl, boy/girl. And there was a Photopass photographer at Animal Kingdom Lodge who seemed quite confused when after taking our group picture, asked to take some of the couples :rotfl:

Here's a pic of the four of us on that day:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2120599323&idx=1

belle_of_the_ball
09-16-2005, 02:13 PM

As for my experience in the world: I have never encounted any prejudice, I would even go so far as to say we got superior service by some cast members who usually peruse Pleasure Island on thursdays, if you know what I mean. The only funny moments have occured on our last trip when we took a gay male couple on their first time visit. Upon checking in to POFQ they had checked us in as boy/girl, boy/girl. And there was a Photopass photographer at Animal Kingdom Lodge who seemed quite confused when after taking our group picture, asked to take some of the couples :rotfl:

thanks for the dates..i had one of my teachers ask me about them.....it was....different being that i've never heard an AP American History teacher ask me about gay day in disney.i've probaly learned more about gay people in school than i ever will in the real world! Mainly beacause my school is the leader in gay and lesbian educators!!!!!!! GO WTHS and all my teachers! they are so awesome...my history teacher even helped me fix my hair on pic day after my sci teacher messed it up! haha hes the GREATEST TEACHER EVER!!!!!

wdwjunkie2005
09-17-2005, 08:42 AM

We had a similar thing happen to us at a co-worker's wedding recently. The photographer came around to each table to photograph "the couples" and my DW and I were seated w/ two other folks from work, a man and a woman (not a couple) and three folks who were friends w/the groom. When she asked who the couples were, the photographer automatically looked at my two co-workers. I did speak up, though (yay, me--I never speak up), and she looked confused for a fraction of a second, then snapped the photo.

Only 84 days til my next trip to THE WORLD! :earsgirl:

Belle--it's cool that you have teachers like that!

belle_of_the_ball
09-17-2005, 11:31 AM
i know isnt it! They are all really great teacher and friends!

nordkin
09-19-2005, 11:11 AM
This is the first time I have looked at this portion of the board. I am usually on the Cruise Forum. My partner and I have been to WDW, Disneyland, and DCL several times and have never encountered a problem. The question was posted earlier about problems with Palo on DCL. We go everytime we cruise and have never had a problem. Everyone on board treats us the same as any other couple. We were on the August Repo cruise and actually met several gay couples from the boards who we booked another cruise with. The best thing you can do is go, be yourself, don't be in your face about your lifestyle, and you will have a wonderful time.

SparklieSunShine
09-19-2005, 11:25 AM
This has been so uplifting. I have shared the experiences you have shared with my SO and she is now very excited about our trip to disney. (She does not get enthused easily.) I can't wait to go on a romantic vacation with her where we can be ourselves 24 hours a day for a whole week.

I :love: the disboards.

Going on a cruise with other gay people from the disboards sounds like a blast. You guys don't happen to be going on a cruise next October are you? lol

nordkin
09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
This has been so uplifting. I have shared the experiences you have shared with my SO and she is now very excited about our trip to disney. (She does not get enthused easily.) I can't wait to go on a romantic vacation with her where we can be ourselves 24 hours a day for a whole week.

I :love: the disboards.

Going on a cruise with other gay people from the disboards sounds like a blast. You guys don't happen to be going on a cruise next October are you? lol

We are going on the 11 Day Special cruise Sept. 17, 2006

SparklieSunShine
09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
We are going on the 11 Day Special cruise Sept. 17, 2006

Oh my goodness. That would be pretty much perfect. We would have to downgrade our room to accomidate the extra money...but that would be so perfect. How many other couples are going? I am not trying to include myself in your activities, but just being on a cruise knowing there are other couples like us on it would be so comforting.

I'm bummed that we won't be able to add the Romantic Getaway to this package though.

nordkin
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Right now there are three couples that we have made arrangements with, but on our Aug Repo cruise there were several couples on board that we did not connect with. I have toyed with the idea of starting a gay thread on the Cruise Line Forum and see what happens there.

SparklieSunShine
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Then I would have 2 gay threads to live on! This is one of my favorite aspects of the dis boards.

donald...really
09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
My Husband and I (legally married here in Massachusetts on the tenth anniversary of the day we met, July 28) will be on the 11 day Wonder cruise also! Would love to make plans to get together with other "like minded" couples.

We went to The World shortly after our wedding, and told CMs we were on our honeymoon. They were wonderful. Didn't bat an eye, congratulated us, and gave us a pin to wear that let people know that we were celebrating a special occasion.

If you really want to be an open gay couple on vacation, plan a trip to Provincetown, MA.

SparklieSunShine
09-19-2005, 01:38 PM
So it seems like I am definately planning on the 11-day cruise. I just hope I can still book it by November. I am sure I'll be able to work something out. :cool1: I think I'll keep it a suprise!

joanjett1976
09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
My Husband and I (legally married here in Massachusetts on the tenth anniversary of the day we met, July 28) will be on the 11 day Wonder cruise also! Would love to make plans to get together with other "like minded" couples.

We went to The World shortly after our wedding, and told CMs we were on our honeymoon. They were wonderful. Didn't bat an eye, congratulated us, and gave us a pin to wear that let people know that we were celebrating a special occasion.

If you really want to be an open gay couple on vacation, plan a trip to Provincetown, MA.

Well congratulations Donald! :earsgirl:

Odd thing is, we used to vacation in Ogunquit and Priovincetown when I was a kid. My mom thought it was 'clean' and had 'good shopping'. Ha Ha! I haven't been in many years but have great memories. Will try to make it down there next summer!

donald...really
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
I think the cruise may be selling out. You might want to check into it sooner than later. We tried to check pricing for friends of ours so they could come with us, and the website we booked through was saying it was sold out ( unless we were reading something incorrectly...) Some rooms were still available through Disney, though.

SparklieSunShine
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
That makes me nervous. I'm still saving up spending money for our trip this October...maybe I can strech some money just to put the down payment. The rest of the year is won't be trouble. It is just hard to start paying for next years trip before this years one is up.

nordkin
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I think the cruise may be selling out. You might want to check into it sooner than later. We tried to check pricing for friends of ours so they could come with us, and the website we booked through was saying it was sold out ( unless we were reading something incorrectly...) Some rooms were still available through Disney, though.

I checked the DCL site and there are plenty of rooms available. They had all categories listed with the exception of 12.

Hazy
09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I am also on the 11 night cruise next September. I am glad there will be others on board!
Thank You for starting this thread!
Anyone going to WDW in December? I will be there from Dec.11-14th.

Hazy :earsboy:

PeterPanFanWDW
09-19-2005, 07:50 PM
We're on the 11 night Wonder Cruise as well!!!

This is the first cruise we booked an inside stateroom so we'll see how we do. We also were on the May repo and met some other gay couples and singles as well.

PPF :jester:

Viki
09-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I am also on the 11 night cruise next September. I am glad there will be others on board!
Thank You for starting this thread!
Anyone going to WDW in December? I will be there from Dec.11-14th.

OH, drat Hazy, we are going to JUST miss you - we'll be there 12/3-12/11!

donald...really
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
We had a feeling that the 11 day Wonder cruise would have more couples without kids because it would be hard for parents to take their kids out of school so close to the start of the school year for 11 days. Not sure if that is the case or not, but based on this thread it looks like it might be.

Friends of ours went on a cruise (not Disney) and the ship hosted a "Friends of Dorothy" meet. It was printed on the ships itinerary and was specifically for the gay guests. We need to arrange our own "Friends of Dorothy" meet on our cruise.

We will also be at WDW this December, but from the 23rd to the 30th.

TomTO
09-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Hello All,

My partner and I are booked on the Magic October 29th? Are we lucky enough to have "anyone else" on board?

Cheers.

Tom & Rick

SparklieSunShine
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Sadly no. I am going to be at disney during that time, but that doesn't do any good.

Hazy
09-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Viki-

That's too bad we will miss each other!! I was hoping to hang out with someone at 8 Tracks!!
Have a good time!!

Viki
09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Viki-

That's too bad we will miss each other!! I was hoping to hang out with someone at 8 Tracks!!
Have a good time!!

And we WILL be at 8 Tracks on Thursday, Dec. 8th if we can pull ourselves away from the Adventurers Club and before our visit over to Mannequins. Anyone else, specifically you Orlando residents, going to be around that night?

Mama Twinkles
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi, everybody. Glad to find this thread. I sometimes wonder what would happen if a legally married couple from Massachusetts tried to do a vow renewal ceremony through Fairy Tale Weddings at WDW. If they allowed it, it would be an important precedent and establish a policy of inclusiveness. If they refused it, the refusal could be grounds for a lawsuit that could help our cause. Not that I relish the thought of lawsuits.

Viki
09-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi, everybody. Glad to find this thread. I sometimes wonder what would happen if a legally married couple from Massachusetts tried to do a vow renewal ceremony through Fairy Tale Weddings at WDW. If they allowed it, it would be an important precedent and establish a policy of inclusiveness. If they refused it, the refusal could be grounds for a lawsuit that could help our cause. Not that I relish the thought of lawsuits.

Hey, Mama, I think WDW's policy is that the couple has to have a valid FLORIDA marriage license. But, of course, you're right. Even then, it could be challenged.

Mama Twinkles
09-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey, Mama, I think WDW's policy is that the couple has to have a valid FLORIDA marriage license.

You must be right about weddings, but I thought couples married anywhere could have a ceremony to renew their vows. But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm right, they would have to decide whether permitting a G or L couple to renew vows meant "recognizing" another state's gay marriage, or whether it would just mean acknowledging that they are married back home. I sniff a Lambda Legal lawsuit in the making because you can bet they don't check whether out-of-state straight couples fulfill FL's marriage requirements before permitting vow renewals, so they could be violating equal protection to deny such a ceremony to our kind.

Sorry to be a downer tonight. I am just so sick of unfair discrimination, but won't highjack this nice thread by pursuing this topic.

Viki
09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
You must be right about weddings, but I thought couples married anywhere could have a ceremony to renew their vows. But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm right, they would have to decide whether permitting a G or L couple to renew vows meant "recognizing" another state's gay marriage, or whether it would just mean acknowledging that they are married back home. I sniff a Lambda Legal lawsuit in the making because you can bet they don't check whether out-of-state straight couples fulfill FL's marriage requirements before permitting vow renewals, so they could be violating equal protection to deny such a ceremony to our kind.

Sorry to be a downer tonight. I am just so sick of unfair discrimination, but won't highjack this nice thread by pursuing this topic.

Oh, no, please pursue it! I think I raised it earlier, a few pages back. I think it is a very real issue that Disney should address. I know Gwen and I would renew our vows next year in a minutes if they would let us. And if that were to happen we'd have quite a little group of family and friends from PA and FLA who would join us. Ultimately, Disney is losing business, but they must have it figured otherwise.

Mama Twinkles
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh, no, please pursue it! I think I raised it earlier, a few pages back. I think it is a very real issue that Disney should address. I know Gwen and I would renew our vows next year in a minutes if they would let us. And if that were to happen we'd have quite a little group of family and friends from PA and FLA who would join us. Ultimately, Disney is losing business, but they must have it figured otherwise.

Great point, Viki. Our money is just as green as anyone else's, and we take it where we're welcome. So sorry you and Gwen can't just pop down there and be assured of the same joys as so many other couples, as if anyone would be hurt by your declaring your commitment. Long live your love. Stay proud.

SparklieSunShine
09-21-2005, 08:37 AM
It would be so nice to see a same-sex couple doing a vow renewal or a wedding at Disney. I would love to see that. I tend to find that gay weddings are more fun and happy because those who are enjoying it have had to overcome some sort of adversity.

I would say though if I saw one going on I might try and blend with the other party members so that I could be in one the fun to. lol :cool1:

I don't think it is something that we will never see. I just think it will take some work and a little time.

There will be people who will make a fuss, but like other things I feel that once they see that the world isn't ending and people do it more frequently they will be fine. (Well sometimes not fine, but they can get over it.)

I don't see why they would need any special documents for a vow-renewal. It's more of a love and commitment than a legal thing. Is there anyway this can be checked out with someone?

Viki
09-21-2005, 09:08 AM

I went to the site and read a bit and, unfortunately, Gwen and I couldn't challenge whatever policy Disney has on vow renewal ceremonies because we do not have a valid marriage certificate, living as we do in PA.

So, yes, Mama, that's a great question. Not about marriages, per se, I think disney has been very clear about that (needs to to be valid in Fla), but renewal ceremonies - if you're legally married and you're there from Canada or MA or some other country what's their policy? Does anyone know?

joanjett1976
09-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Is that a mass Disney vow renewal plot is smell? :cool1:

SparklieSunShine
09-21-2005, 12:06 PM

How awesome would that be? So fun! lol. That would be beautiful to watch.

SparklieSunShine
09-21-2005, 01:27 PM
To much money to soon to go on that 11-day cruise next year. Oh well. We were able to get a room on the one in December of that year which is about the same price, but it will be our 6th anniversary and we will be able to add on the Romantic Escape package. Yay! Things worked out. Hopefully there will be at least one other gay couple on the cruise.

While I am on the subject...What exactly do they do for the "romantic turn-down service"? My So was wondering and I really couldn't tell her specifically.

Viki
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM

I like the way you think!

And I really do want to know what disney might do or has done with this question. If two lesbian or gay folk are married per the laws of their state or country it seems to be it would awfully difficult for them not to host the renewal affair. Maybe I should bite the bullet and call the vow renewal folk and ask. My only problem with that is, like I said, Gwen and I aren't legally married, so we can't be the couple that pushes on this technicality.

(What's really ironic about all of this is that I am an ordained Lutheran minister and I officiate at all sorts of weddings for heterosexuals and lesbian and gay folk all the time all over the place. But I, myself, can't get married!)

joanjett1976
09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I like the way you think!

(What's really ironic about all of this is that I am an ordained Lutheran minister and I officiate at all sorts of weddings for heterosexuals and lesbian and gay folk all the time all over the place. But I, myself, can't get married!)

There should be a whole new saying just for you: Always an...ordained Lutheran Minister!... Never a bride.

Viki
09-21-2005, 03:54 PM
There should be a whole new saying just for you: Always an...ordained Lutheran Minister!... Never a bride.

Ain't it the truth!!!

mickeyfan1
09-21-2005, 04:44 PM

That is so wonderful! Very romantic. I can't wait to hear about it. (hopefully I am still able to be on the boards by then.)

Hi there, I am very gay friendly, and semi cruise savy, so I thought I would answer this question about the perfect gift. Shirley Nelson Brown is the owner, she is a vendor that Disney allows on board before siling to deliver gift boxes, baskets, etc. She has a website, www.theperfectgift.com and a ton of people use her services. I believe she also has a toll free number. She seems to be able to produce just about anything people want. The only bad thing was she couldn't go to California so those of us who took the Magic through the canal for CA to FL missed out on her goodies!

I will say that I saw many gay couples on the ship, some of whom I knew fro another web site, some of whom I did not. No one seemed to pay any attention to anyone on the ship, everyone was just having a really nice time. I can not say if there were any lesbian couples, personally I didn't ask anyone when I happened to see 2 women together. It was just a very pleasant cruise and I don't think that anyone would feel other than welcome on the Magic.

SparklieSunShine
09-22-2005, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=SparklieSunShine][QUOTE=Viki] I'm afraid I know nothing about the cruise ships (I first wrote, "I know nothing about cruising! Good Lord)

Hi there, I am very gay friendly, and semi cruise savy, so I thought I would answer this question about the perfect gift. Shirley Nelson Brown is the owner, she is a vendor that Disney allows on board before siling to deliver gift boxes, baskets, etc. She has a website, www.theperfectgift.com and a ton of people use her services. I believe she also has a toll free number. She seems to be able to produce just about anything people want. The only bad thing was she couldn't go to California so those of us who took the Magic through the canal for CA to FL missed out on her goodies!

I will say that I saw many gay couples on the ship, some of whom I knew fro another web site, some of whom I did not. No one seemed to pay any attention to anyone on the ship, everyone was just having a really nice time. I can not say if there were any lesbian couples, personally I didn't ask anyone when I happened to see 2 women together. It was just a very pleasant cruise and I don't think that anyone would feel other than welcome on the Magic.

Thanks for the information! Does she deliver to the Disney hotel rooms?

mickeyfan1
09-22-2005, 08:55 AM
That I don't know, however, there is another person on the DIS that does. Right off the top of my head I can't think of her Nick, but I will find it and repost here. (I don't think Shirley does because she lives over near the port.)

ETA The DISer that does candy bouquets is Feralpeg. You need to PM her as she can not talk about her business on the boards. But she does wonderful work. Good luck!

Valentine
09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately.. Feralpeg has announced that she is taking some time off from the basket making.. her daughter is pursuing an acting career and she is chauffering her around....

Okay... so.. I have a completely NON disney question to ask... i have no real other place to ask for this advice. so, I thought hey. my DIS friends may have a word or two to offer... It is a Dating question...I am having a bit of a perplexing time right now. Here is the background.. I have been in 2 very Long Term relationships...the second one being with a woman.. She was/is the love of my life.. I THINK...However.. life happens.. and for MANY reasons.. we cannot be together... I know that I have to move on.. and I have attempted the "dating" thing very half heartedly... My heart was always with my ex.... So. I have NEVER really "dated". I have just recently started seeing someone and I don't really know if how things are going with her is "normal". With both of my last relationships, I knew them both for a long time as friends... and they both sort of just confessed their love of me to me.. and wham.. I was hooked.. with this "dating" thing.. there are no fireworks.. it is comfy... and we have a nice time together.. there is a physical attraction.. nothing has been done with regard to that though ;) ... we have been dating for about 2 weeks... and have seen each other about 3 times during those 2 weeks.. we talk on the phone several times a week.. Not everyday... I guess I am wondering if everyone has the "fireworks" and "this is the one moments" with the person they are with... if you dont' have that do you cut your losses and move on? or wait and see if it shows up?? HELP!!! I don't want to NOT give someone a chance because of my ex.. but I also don't want to settle with someone because I feel like I should be with someone to "move on" and get over her.. Any advice??

Thanks for any opinions!

Belle23
09-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Well I am no expert on relationships considering my partner is the one and only person I have been with (going on 5 years in January). I was 19 when I met her she was a new manager that worked where I worked. I could not stand her at first and I think that was because I just never liked changes and I had already worked at that place for three years and had the same manager so I was not happy when she came in. Well lets just say that three months later she stole my heart and she is my soul mate. I had never looked at women in a romantic sexual way, but I believe that we are soul mates and even if we were a dog and a cat we would be together. :love2: Like I said before I have never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend. My whole life I just felt like I was going to find "the one" so I just waited for fate to happen. I am just so lucky that I found her so young and we have our whole lives together. I am sure that you will find the one and you just shouldn't go out looking and let it happen because it will. Anyways, that is just my opinion on the subject. I hope that you do find your soul mate soon because it is great knowing I am going to grow old with my partner. :cloud9:

Viki
09-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Hey, Valentine.

I'm all for the fireworks of an instantaneous crush, but I'm also for the slow simmer that can build up, bubble up, explode, cool down, and then start the whole gosh darn cycle again and again and again. I've experienced both and permutations on each several times. It's all good.

What I do know for sure and certain, in my own life and in the life of those I counsel, is that things cycle. There are times over 20 years when Gwen and I have been more like best friends and there are times when we've been red-hot lovers, and it's a joy in each stage to know that this will all repeat in its own time.

Of course, you've got the other issue of giving yourself time to work through your former relationship, which sounds like it ran deep. Even there the lines can be blurry. I had one like that and it took me six years to fully let it go. I didn't wait six years before I got back in the game and it wasn't like it was still full in bloom the whole time, but it did take that long before it really had transformed into something else.

Blessings.

SparklieSunShine
09-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Well I am no expert on relationships considering my partner is the one and only person I have been with (going on 5 years in January)

My relationshio will be five years in January too! :o)

----
As to Valentine. I would give this relationship a bit longer. Two weeks is a pretty short time to be able to tell if this person is good for you and if they have firework potential. I am weary of relationships that start off hot. I feel that they cool down fast and you are always waiting for that feeling you had at the beginning. My current relationship started off as friends and then we became more and I find myself falling deeper everyday. Just my thoughts.

Valentine
09-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Hmmm... some thoughts to ponder.... Thank you all for your input!! It really helps to hear other people's history... to have something to compare and contrast! I am not planning on giving up on this relationship too quickly now.. I am hoping that it has potential.. but if it doesn't.. at least I know I tried.. something I haven't done too much of in the recent past!! I usually run and hide.. LOL!!! You would think by my age I would have this all figured out.. OY!!! Why can't everything in life be as simple as my love for the Mouse!!!

Thanks again.. !

donald...really
09-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Love is friendship that catches fire. I think Dear Abby said that. Not sure...

Anyway. I met Scott (my DH) and we knew we REALLY liked each other. We had fun with each other, we liked each others friends, we both LOVED Disney World, both made each other laugh, etc. But it was not instant "OH MY GOD" fireworks. But we knew this was the beginning of a new chapter for us both.

Close to a year after we met, we were vacationing at WDW. We were on one of the rides, I looked over at him (he didn't know I was looking at him) and it hit me. I mean like lightening. I realized "I LOVE HIM". That was the first time I thought those words. It took almost a year. And for the past 9 years, I have fallen deeper and deeper in love. Every day I love him more. I have learned little things about him that I love, that aren't obvious when you meet someone (like that he has no sense of direction; when he has a tennis lesson after work and he is not home when I get home from work, he leaves a note telling me what left overs are in the fridge and how to heat them up - 350 degrees for 15 minutes - as if I couldn't figure it out; how when he sleeps he cuddles one of our dogs under his arm like it was a stuffed animal; how he treats other people with kindness and patience, and so many other things that it would take me a year to type, but you get the idea).

I learned that love does not happen in the Snow White, Cinderella kind of way (meet the guy/gal once and you decide then and there to live "happily ever after"). Things that last take time to build.

bubie2.5
09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Love is friendship that catches fire. I think Dear Abby said that. Not sure...

Anyway. I met Scott (my DH) and we knew we REALLY liked each other. We had fun with each other, we liked each others friends, we both LOVED Disney World, both made each other laugh, etc. But it was not instant "OH MY GOD" fireworks. But we knew this was the beginning of a new chapter for us both.

Close to a year after we met, we were vacationing at WDW. We were on one of the rides, I looked over at him (he didn't know I was looking at him) and it hit me. I mean like lightening. I realized "I LOVE HIM". That was the first time I thought those words. It took almost a year. And for the past 9 years, I have fallen deeper and deeper in love. Every day I love him more. I have learned little things about him that I love, that aren't obvious when you meet someone (like that he has no sense of direction; when he has a tennis lesson after work and he is not home when I get home from work, he leaves a note telling me what left overs are in the fridge and how to heat them up - 350 degrees for 15 minutes - as if I couldn't figure it out; how when he sleeps he cuddles one of our dogs under his arm like it was a stuffed animal; how he treats other people with kindness and patience, and so many other things that it would take me a year to type, but you get the idea).

I learned that love does not happen in the Snow White, Cinderella kind of way (meet the guy/gal once and you decide then and there to live "happily ever after"). Things that last take time to build.

:lovestruc

pearlieq
09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
While I am on the subject...What exactly do they do for the "romantic turn-down service"? My So was wondering and I really couldn't tell her specifically.

I didn't see this answered so I thought I'd jump in. They usually do it on the night you go to Palo. They turn down the bed and add rose petals (I've seen pictures w/rose petal designs on the bed, and I've seen pictures with a rose petal trail leading toward the bed). You also get a towel swan pair and the usual chocolates. As far as I know that's about it, but I do hear it's nice.

Valentine
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Oooooo.. I just got warm fuzzies all over! :)

joanjett1976
09-23-2005, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=donald...really] Every day I love him more. I have learned little things about him that I love, that aren't obvious when you meet someone (like that he has no sense of direction; when he has a tennis lesson after work and he is not home when I get home from work, he leaves a note telling me what left overs are in the fridge and how to heat them up - 350 degrees for 15 minutes - as if I couldn't figure it out; how when he sleeps he cuddles one of our dogs under his arm like it was a stuffed animal; how he treats other people with kindness and patience, and so many other things that it would take me a year to type, but you get the idea).QUOTE]
:earsboy: :earsboy:
Now I want to marry Scott!

Been with GF for three years, was definitely one of those movie-esque, see each other across the room in a crowded club kinda meet!

SparklieSunShine
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
I didn't see this answered so I thought I'd jump in. They usually do it on the night you go to Palo. They turn down the bed and add rose petals (I've seen pictures w/rose petal designs on the bed, and I've seen pictures with a rose petal trail leading toward the bed). You also get a towel swan pair and the usual chocolates. As far as I know that's about it, but I do hear it's nice.

That sounds nice. I think I will end up opting for this package.

------------
Aww Scott that was really nice. :goodvibes I love hearing couples talking mushy about each other. :lovestruc

Saxton
09-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this thread and read every message! I'm usually over in the DVC boards (although I rarely post). I've got a few trips coming up - the next is at the end of October for the Food & Wine Festival (love it!) ...I'll be eating & drinking around the world. It's great to see everyone coming together online with this thread.

:goodvibes

Sue

barrie
09-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I too mostly hang out on the DVC boards - reading almost daily, but hardly ever posting. I've never felt uncomfortable being a **** on this board but it's really nice to have confirmation that I'm not the only one! I'll be staying at SSR 11/15-21 with my partner and 2 other friends. Anyone else gonna be there then? Barrie

Wow! They edited out the "d" word! I guess I'll just have to identify as a big old lesbian today!

bubie2.5
09-24-2005, 06:53 AM
:wave2: Hi Sue and Barrie! welcome to the thread.

Viki
09-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Hi Sue and Barrie, I'm glad you found us and welcome.

I'm only sorry we're going to miss you all - it looks like we're all lined up with Oct, Nov, and Dec trips, but no overlaps!

Saxton
09-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! I mentioned that I have quite a few trips coming up and I wasn't kidding. I'll be there Oct. 22-29, Dec. 3-10, Jan. and Feb. (have to check those dates). Normally I don't have that many trips but it's a combination of having to use up banked points on a couple DVC contracts that I bought and family trips. I'm not complaining ... it will get me out of the snow and hopefully make the winter tolerable!

SparklieSunShine
09-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Hello Sue and Barrie! It is always nice to have more people to talk to on here and I am glad this thread is doing so well.

Barrie it looks like you will be there 2 weeks after me. Sue you will be there for 2 of the same days as me and my SO. The 28th and the 29th. :)

Valentine
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome Sue & Barrie... I too lurk over at the DVC boards... another owner here :) Just made my very first trip "home" this past august and have another set up for the 1st week of january. Nothing until then however :( One never knows though... LOL!! Usually not on the boards in the AM... but was experiencing some withdrawal with them being down last night... at least I think they were down.. I certainly could not get on!! So.. I just wanted to check in for a quick HI!

Have a good day everyone!!

Viki
09-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! I mentioned that I have quite a few trips coming up and I wasn't kidding. I'll be there Oct. 22-29, Dec. 3-10, Jan. and Feb. (have to check those dates). Normally I don't have that many trips but it's a combination of having to use up banked points on a couple DVC contracts that I bought and family trips. I'm not complaining ... it will get me out of the snow and hopefully make the winter tolerable!

Hey, we'll overlap in Dec. We'll be there 12/3-12/11, staying at the BCV. Maybe we could touch base.

TomTO
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Great to see this thread :earsboy:

My partner and I are going to be on the Disney Magic October 29th to November 5th ... then heading on over to Port Orleans Resort Riverside for four nights.

Anyone else out there?

Tom & Rick

chele3796
09-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Hello!
I just found this thread and decided to "pipe up." I'm never on this section of the DIS because myself and my partner of 15 years have 2 children ages 6 & 9 so there's not much adult-only time going on :)
We will be at WDW October 15th-21st and we can't wait! We will also be in NYC November 13th-15th. I have to say that trip hasn't seen half the planning that the WDW trip has. I wish there was a NYCboards :rotfl:

Michele

Viki
09-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello!
I just found this thread and decided to "pipe up." I'm never on this section of the DIS because myself and my partner of 15 years have 2 children ages 6 & 9 so there's not much adult-only time going on :)
We will be at WDW October 15th-21st and we can't wait! We will also be in NYC November 13th-15th. I have to say that trip hasn't seen half the planning that the WDW trip has. I wish there was a NYCboards :rotfl:

Michele

Hey, Micehelle, I know what you mean about the children. At the beginning of this thread I had to ask lots of questions about PI because even though we've made many visits over the years, and are DVC members, I knew practically nothing about PI. Now, however, that our kids and 16 and 17, we're beginning to branch out.

Saxton
09-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Viki - I'll be staying at OKW for that trip. I have family close by and I'm not sure what my schedule will be but we should be able to meet up. Dec. is a great time to go with all the holiday decorations and activities.

Tom - I own at OKW and BWV but POR is still one of my favorite resorts. I stayed there last Dec. It always seems so quiet and relaxing. I love going for long walks there early in the morning or late at night.

Viki
09-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Viki - I'll be staying at OKW for that trip. I have family close by and I'm not sure what my schedule will be but we should be able to meet up. Dec. is a great time to go with all the holiday decorations and activities..

SUE: We have (lots of) family in the area too. Here's our schedule for the week. See if anything matches up!

Sat, Dec 3rd
Arrive and check-in to BCV
Epcot: Storytellers and Santas
Dusk: Sunset lights of winter, world showcase plaza
6 PM Tree Lighting, plaza
6:50 Dinner at Rose and Crown
9:30 Illuminations

Sun, Dec 4th
9 amMGM
12:55 Sci-fi café
break
6 pm Flying Fish for dinner
Stroll the Boardwalk

Monday, Dec 5th
8 am Epcot EMH
Candlelight Dinner Package at Marrakesh
5:30 dinner at marrakesh
8:15 candlelight processional
9:30 illuminations

Tuesday, Dec 6th
Free time
Magic kingdom afternoon
4:00 PM Dinner at the Crystal Palace
MVMCP until midnight

Wednesday, Dec. 7th
Free time
Fantasmic Dinner Package
3:50 PM Brown Derby
8:00 PM Fantastmic
Osborne family lights

Thursday, Dec. 8th
Free time
Downtown Disney: Bongos for lunch
Disney Quest, Shopping
Planet Hollywood (snack/dessert)
Adventurer's Club
8-trac
Mannequins

Friday, Dec. 9th
Free Time
magic kingdom
5:25 O'Hanas for a Party of 11
8:15 PM Magic kingdom fireworks cruise

Saturday, Dec. 10th
8 am Animal kingdom EMH
10:30 AM BOMAS FOR BREAKFAST AT AKL FOR 6
free time
7:20 PM California Grill for Dinner FOR 6
9:00 PM wishes from the balcony

nordkin
09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
I have started a Friends of Dorothy Thread on the Cruise Board under cruise meets for the September 17, 2006 11 day. If anyone is interested in meeting others on the cruise, please post there.

Hazy
09-25-2005, 12:20 PM
O.K. Viki, where do I sign up! LOL!! That schedule sounds great. You are going to have a great time.

Hazy

Viki
09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
O.K. Viki, where do I sign up! LOL!! That schedule sounds great. You are going to have a great time.

Hazy

Thanks, Hazy, I hope we ALL have a good time. This is the trip I've planned to help our friend Danny fall in love with WDW. He currently hates the idea, sight unseen. In fact, I never thought he'd join us, but last summer, just as I told him he was always invited, but I was never ASKING him again, he flipped and capitulated. So his joining us is a small victory, now if I can only get him to love it!

Well, a girl can dream!

Hazy
09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
If this trip doesn't do it, I don't know what will!! This trip is a dream!
Great planning. If he doesn't enjoy it, please don't let it bring you down on the trip. You have to enjoy it yourself too.

TomTO
09-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Tom - I own at OKW and BWV but POR is still one of my favorite resorts. I stayed there last Dec. It always seems so quiet and relaxing. I love going for long walks there early in the morning or late at night.

Thanks a lot Saxton :goodvibes

donald...really
09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I added our names to the Friends of Dorothy cruise meet on the cruise meet board. Anyone else going to be there?

Valentine
09-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I added our names to the Friends of Dorothy cruise meet on the cruise meet board. Anyone else going to be there?

I can only dream!!! Someday soon.. a cruise is in my future!!!

Adrienne
09-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Add me and my girl Jen to the list of somedays for a cruise.... dec 2007 maybe?

Adrienne :wizard: