PDA

View Full Version : Week of Aug 7 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera
08-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/calculator2.htm)

Did 4.25 miles yesterday at a 16:10 pace! :bounce: I don't think I've ever been so hot or slimy in my life :crazy2:

Minnie... :wizard: for your 5 miles. You'll be great!

Tiff...wtg! Now you're official! Be careful with the 5Ks...they're addictive ;) I have done three 5ks now and still have that image problem. I worry that I'm the slowest or fattest or that I don't really belong there with the 'real' athletes. It's worse if I get to the race too early...gives me too much time to think. I'm slowly learning to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones of encouragement for setting PRs. I like the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer for the mental aspects of training...think I need to pull it out and read it again.
Oh...and if you like to plan, we can put you in charge of planning the WISH team meets during race weekend. ;)

Bree...love you and Christa's marathon album. I'm training so that I have time to stop and see the characters ::MickeyMo but I think I'll be too worried about the sweeper to stop much :scared:

Sunny...I think your daughter is very wise, but I know what you mean. I find myself trying to squeeze in an extra mile or two on rest days now :blush:

Colleen...some of what you mentioned is what got me into this. I thought people that did marathons (or halves) were ultrafit, elite athletes that had been running all their lives...certainly not me. But I found the 2005 WISH team thread and learned that people like me could train and do this and LOVE it!

Zela...great pace! :banana: Congrats on the PR! :banana:

Solo...wow...quite a business trip! :wizard: for a safe trip!

MelR...I hope you and the TM can come to some sort of compromise :) Great photo of you and the family!

Cam...big apologies! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! :bday: :cake: :bday: And wtg on that distance!

Howard...wtg on the 6.25 miles! that's a great pace!

Helen...how's the book coming?

Carrie...how did the 6 miles go? I think I'm going to have to start getting up earlier on weekend runs too. I left at 8am and came back sunburned and gross! And I promise to share the chocolate mousse tray with you :teeth:

Krista...how's the training coming? Got some football fix yesterday but really looking forward to tomorrow nights game :)

Liz and Lily...thinking about both of you this a.m. :wizard: for your race! Can't wait to see your race reports!

I'm registered for the 3:00 corral. I've heard it's better to put down a time then not. If you don't put a time in when you register, then you end up in the last corral. Of course, when I registered, I didn't know that's how they lined you up...I thought Disney just wanted to know when I hoped to finish :blush:

Love the new doggie smilies, but can't figure out which one's a big dog. :dog: :dog2: I think this guy's a pug, so I may use him for my little dog runs :pug: Or maybe a rating scale according to number of paw prints :paw:

I think it may be getting to be time to resurrect Lisa's planning thread and start making some ADRs! Only 5 months to go! :scared1:

TXBelle
08-07-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm back. My speech went well. One person even said "Amazing"! Today I ran/walked 3.1 miles in preparation for my first 5k next weekend. I set a PR of 43:02. Boy was it hot! I should have gotten out there at least an hour earlier. It's back to the gym tomorrow.

Thinking of Liz and Lily this morning. Sending lots of :grouphug: and :wizard: Wish we were there to cheer you on! :cheer2:

Heather

princessmomma
08-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes, can't wait to hear from Liz and Lilly.

Heather great job on the speech. What was the topic?

Also, I am thinking about Minnie this morning too! :wizard: I hope your 5 miles went well this morning. Maybe you are busy registering for the race?? :earsgirl:

Chimera, I know what you mean about slimy and hot. Before I started running, I thought I didn't sweat, just the glow thing was going on. Boy was I wrong.

Bree, great picture, it looks like you two are having the time of your lives. By the way, what shoes are you wearing? Thanks for the detailed info. on the weather. DH won't run Disney because he is worried about the heat. He wants to run either Charlotte or Kiawah Island in December. He is trying to find informaton on the elevation change of the Charlotte marathon. Are you familiar with the course? Is it fairly flat?

Colleen

NCRedding
08-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I just finished week one of Hal Higdon's 1/2 training. Since I have extra weeks, I plan on repeating week one next week.

Good luck training.

wtpclc
08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Liz and Lily - I'm dying to know. Please check in sooon!

Well, I did my 6 Saturday. It was under 60 :cool1: , so I thought I could fly. Not. On a scale of :paw: to :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: , :paw: being run from that horrible hot place and :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: being run of my dreams, it was a :paw: :paw: :paw: . I did have a 10:40 pace, but I wanted a consistent 10:30. Got hot in sunny in teh middle and I do think I over-estimated the joy of cool weather.

Word of warning: Do NOT watch Cool Running before going out on a long run. The Jamaican bobsled team song goingt hrough your head for 6 miles is not good. It came back to haunt me for the first 6 miles of my bike ride that night too. The last 6 were ok, as I was too busy hanging on to my loose handle bars with a death grip. It's always something. No, I did not ride to train, it's just the easiest way to get to the coolest fireworks show on earth. Yes, I decided last night that Coast Guard festival fireworks are better than Wishes. However, I'd pick MK over Grand Haven any day.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jodi
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Hello fellow trainees:

Wow, sounds like everyone's kicking butt with their training & PRs! GO LIZ & LILLY!! :moped: I hope we see pix of their medals here tonight!

Well, I must thank Craig :goodvibes & all the rest of you that recommend I slow my pace down for those LRs. Yesterday I got up @ the butt-crack of dawn, slooowweed down & ran 8 miles in 85 minutes; so that's a little over 10 1/2 minute miles, right? I was soo psyched, not only did I break my mental block of 6 miles, I went 8. (next Sat. I'll probably keel over after 5 miles) :rotfl: .

I've been reading a few people are having reservations & such, feeling a lack of confidence. My advice is this...Start off slow! Walk 2 miles, make it leisurely, make it fun, this is what I did back in April. Believe me, when it comes to getting in my own way b/c of lack of endurance I am the queen princess: It's something that truly must be built up over time. Aim for walking the 1/2 marathon, start the Marathon for Mortals program now & I know you can finish. You'll find yourself saying "holy cow, I did that?" I'm still reeling from yesterday. And do not compare yourself to anyone, all that counts is that you're out there, that's the big step :grouphug:

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's training triumphs & woes (not too many of these hopefully) as the week goes on! Jeez I'm glad I found you guys. :teeth:

Jodi

Have a great day & week.

zoegirl
08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Bree, great picture, it looks like you two are having the time of your lives. By the way, what shoes are you wearing? Thanks for the detailed info. on the weather. DH won't run Disney because he is worried about the heat. He wants to run either Charlotte or Kiawah Island in December. He is trying to find informaton on the elevation change of the Charlotte marathon. Are you familiar with the course? Is it fairly flat?

Colleen

Hey guys! Ment to get out and run at the Y today but went to see Mr & Mrs Smith instead. Pretty good movie. Tomorrow I'll run short then MAKE myself do some weights. I haven't been keeping up with them, and my arms are getting kind of flappy, and yes I do mean flappy not flabby ;)
I laugh at this b/c there used to be a time when I'd rather do weights than run and now it's completly opposite.

Mel - You won't get swept I'm sure. Go out there and have a great time!

Colleen - I think your husband can find a course map for the Charlotte marathon. It's called Thunder Road Marathon. Try looking on www.runforyourlife.com to see if they have one. I'll ask my FIL if he has a topograph (is that the right word?) of the course. I believe it is hilly but pretty much everything in Charlotte is. Christa and I are running that marathon too. We figure we'll be running 22 or so miles around then anyway so why not do 26.2 and get a medal for it. We've decided that if we have to walk several miles of it we're ok with that. We won't try and PR that day or anything....well I won't anyway :) By the way - where in NC do you live?

Must go for now. Talk to you all soon!
~bree~

littlegreydonkey
08-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi all - Not much to report my end, had to have another weekend off from long runs as my cold moved to my chest - and the pharmacist won't sell me stronger cough mixture because of my asthma so I just have to wait for them to clear. Book is going well though Mel - I might even finish a day before deadline.

Re corrals - my theory is if you have a time you want to finish in, then put it down so you get corralled with people hopefully doing the same pace. I'm corralled at 4.50 for the full, I know I won't do it all in that time as my second half pace will fall (and tigger is in the second half and I don't care how long I have to stand there for, I'm getting that photo) - but I want to get to half way by 2.10ish so figured I'd corrall with people aiming to do the same.

So that's my lot - checked in to see if Liz and Lily had reported - hoping they are celebrating somewhere and far too happy to post. Helen

Lisa loves Pooh
08-07-2005, 08:40 PM
If Liz doesn't post soon--I'm posting her song again.....

here's a warning ;)

Intro:
Liz get your butt out
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}
{walk, walk, walk, walk}

Chorus:
Liz get your butt out {walk, walk, walk, walk}
Liz get your butt out {walk, walk, walk, walk}

{walk, walk, walk, walk}

Lizzy pooh--where are you.......?

:)

Minnie
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Okay let the butt kicking begin I bailed on the long run again today. It's been such a busy weekend that I never did get to bed early and didn't get up early enough to beat the horendous heat that we have been experiencing.

Yep excuses, excuses I could go into a whole bunch of them (still can't walk on heel without shoes, ect ect). But to be real about the whole thing I think I just siked (sp) myself out :blush: The extra 2 miles probably doesn't seem like much to everyone else but to me I just couldn't do it. It's a mental thing that I have to get over somehow :confused3

So in the end, nope I still haven't registered, and nope no long run this weekend for me. Think I need to do this to myself :badpc:

lizdotcom99
08-07-2005, 10:05 PM
We are back!! We got these...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid180/p8a18017388f5531bfefa10142a1cbbfc/f2eb5e5d.jpg and these.....http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid180/p6a5139c1467d4752f9eadbde4c76bf1a/f2eb5d91.jpg and one last one....http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid180/pd748542bbcd1d18c43d629da34641439/f2eb5cb5.jpg but more infor on all this later...I am too pooped to pop!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I promise to tell you all about it tomorrow!!

wfloyd
08-08-2005, 05:57 AM
While running this weekend, I discovered that the laws of Physics can be broken. When running/jogging 2 minutes goes by so slowly but when you are walking those same 2-3 minutes go by instanteously. This almost gives the impression that by walking the marathon, you will feel that you finished it quicker than if you ran it.

wtpclc
08-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Liz and Lily - :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana: Liz - You are now a big :dog2: !!! (Somehow the smile on the face does not reflect true fierceness of a big dog) Way to go!!!!!!

wfloyd - Yes, that phenomenon stinks. I hear ya'!

TiffJ
08-08-2005, 07:28 AM
1st weekend of training off to a great start.

Do you guys change your diet for training? I know eating healthy, but beyond that? I'm currently doing my own version of WW.

I have found 2 local 5k's I'm going to participate in. The 1st is Oct 8 & is for breast cancer-good cause. That gives me 2 months to train for it. NO PROB!

chimera: Thanks for the offer! I dont think I would know how to even begin planning that, but if there is someone that actually knows what they are doing , I would be glad to help them with it.

solotraveler
08-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Greetings from Amman!

Thank you to everyone who wished me well on this trip. It's been a wonderful experience so far (despite the working part). Today was an off day so a coworker and I took a day trip to Umm Qais and I have spent a lot of time exploring Amman on my own. Tomorrow is another working day and then Wednesday I get the pleasure of spending another 20 hours in an airplane before I end up home- bleh.

Anyhow, I had a revelation on Saturday when I arrived here: the running bug has bit me hard. After 20 hours on a plane the one thing a really wanted to do when I got to the hotel? Hit the treadmill :teeth: And it felt really good. So even though I'm half a world away, I'm still keeping up with my training.

Liz- Congrats!! How cool!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Tiff- Welcome! Glad to have you along. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

wtpclc- I'm so disappointed I missed the Coast Guard Festival fireworks. I have gone every year since I moved to Michigan and this is the first one I've missed. :guilty: Now, I disagree about the "better than Wishes" part, but it's still a very cool show. My roomate videotaped it for me-- but said the fire on the hill was more interesting then parts of the show :confused:
Great job with the run!

Keep up the great work everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

wtpclc
08-08-2005, 08:34 AM
solo - the most amazing part was the fire re-started yesterday morning. The have firman on guard yet today. It's said that they lost 10-15 acres. I'm sorry to disagree but the variety of firworks at CGF is amazing. I just don't recall that from Wishes. No, it was not started by Tink adn does not have the magical Disney music to accompany, but Istill say that the quality of fireworks themselves are better. Anyway, glad you're having a good trip!

Side note: No, fire is not a good thing. This is a rather sleepy area and the biggest news of the year is how many fires are caused by the fireworks. They are put off in a rather isolated area, so there is not a risk to humans.

TXBelle
08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Way to go Liz and Lily! :banana: :banana: :banana: We can't wait to hear all about it! Ooh, I am drooling over that medal! :goodvibes

Back to the gym this morning. I hurt my ankle yesterday. I think it's just a strain, but I took it easy today. I only did 2 miles, but my big news is that I was finally able to run 3 minutes and walk 2 minutes in intervals for the entire 2 miles. Little dog stuff, I know. :paw: But for me, that is a major achievement. My pace was actually slower than when I walk 3/run 2, but I know that will change over time. I remember that when I started the walk 3/run 2 program I was slower than just walking!

Heather

panthergirl
08-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I got up Saturday morning feeling great and sure I was going to post an improved time in my second 5K. Boy was I wrong! I finished at 43:09 which is almost 3 minutes slower than last time. This field was FAST. The overall winner was just barely over 15:00! I was ticked because the police started opening the course to traffic way too early and I got stuck at two major intersections which cost me a minute or so but that's really no excuse. I just had a bad day. I hope to do better in three weeks when there is another 5K in my neighborhood. I ran close to 3 miles yesterday as well since I was feeling no soreness from the day before. So, glass half full, I ran 6 miles in two days.

Congrats to Liz and Lilly. You guys so totally rock!

Christa and Bree: Regarding the Thunder Road Marathon, I plan on doing the 10K for that one. Talk about some hills!

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

Susan

lizdotcom99
08-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much for all the wonderful good luck wishes! In all fairness, I have to tell you, I never made it all 13.1 miles. I made it 9. Regardless of how many miles I did finish, I am please with myself. The realization of getting this done was overwhelming. I have NO idea how I would have ever gotten through what I did without each and every one of you!

Now for those of you reading thinking you can’t do this, you are WRONG!!!! You could NEVER be more wrong. You can do this. If I can get out there and do it, anybody can. I can assure you of that. However, be true in your training….each and every step counts…and counts big. Lily, you can say I told you so! It is so true; you have to put the steps in. Although I made a great effort to train, I did not do what I was supposed to do and that indeed made a difference in what I did do and what I could have done.

Now, going back a few steps……OK a lot of steps….but I really wanted to share my experience. Thinking back to January, when I got this crazy idea to do a half marathon, I thought it would be a fun thing to try. Now mind you, I generally give up on everything very early into it. Well, guess what, I didn’t give up this time. Why? The support found here is absolutely incredible…..as is the journey form start to finish.

When I first started training, I had time! Lots of time! My walks were fun. Some days were easier than others and having the ability to train whenever I wanted to made a HUGE difference for me. Once I started working and the training got a little more intense, that was not so much fun. But one thing that NEVER changed was the encouragement I got from this board and all of these people. The good, the bad and the ugly…….it all helped in some way shape or form. Hearing the big dogs and what they could accomplish was amazing…something to dream about, for those that were just starting out like me, it is fun seeing and sometimes measuring my own progress….and for all the others in between, it is nice knowing there is a middle ground. This is truly a sport that anyone can do.

Now about my journey…..it started with a thought that maybe I am just crazy enough to try this. It was A LOT of hard work. Work that I have never dared to try. No only was it a physical thing, it was a mental thing. Knowing when to press on and knowing when to stop before injury. Sometimes you stop and sometimes you are just stupid!!! Looking back at January and not ever walking a mile at a time, it is an accomplishment to have walked 9 miles in a sport that there are so many levels to. No matter what your level, there really is no other place when so many can join in once common sport and race. Sure, there are those that are racing against a clock…..and let me tell you, we all are in some way, shape or form…..and then there are those who are out the for the sense of accomplishment. No way, no how I ever thought I could ever get on any playing filed like that.

Many of you will remember my incident with the “shoe man”. The man who almost convinced me I was too fat and not in shape enough to even try this. Thank goodness, there were so many of you who let me know otherwise. I do want to tell you that Saturday I had the pleasure of seeing this man! I let him know I was here to run my race and no matter what I was going to get my medal…..and I did!

Of course before seeing the “shoeman”, we ran into John Binham. He is a great man! A man of MUCH encouragement. He believed in me…much like so many of you believed in me. I knew then that I needed to believe in me. With The Penguin, I was honest about my fears of finishing. I was even so bold as to ask if he would keep the course open just an hour longer. He assured me I would get it done….and even told me a little secret. He said if there was a fear of not getting done in time…find a good place to cut across the course and make it back in time to get my medal. And I did just that….so when you see the race pics, you will know the reason I “finished” in a sub 3 hour time! So he graciously took some pics with us, signed our bibs and encouraged us to Waddle On….and we did.

Now about the “we” part of this. You are all very special to me, but I have to send a big kudos out to our Dog Catcher! Lily, there is NO WAY I would have ever made it anywhere without you. Our friendship means so much to me. I can’t ever even imagine that two people meeting by way of the internet could become such great friends. Even my friends who live here close and said they would be walking with me were no where to be found. Lily was there from start to finish. In every aspect! A true friend through and through. She was there for MY experience this time around and never complained one bit about my slow pace, my whining or my inability to finish the race. And she was there to memorialize the entire thing. I am certain you will enjoy the pictures if nothing else. So Lily, you are the BEST!!! I love you man!!!! And Amanda, you too!!! A greater weekend I have never had!!

So, I trained half butted and didn’t finish. The moral of the story…anybody can do this but you have to put the steps in. And even if you don’t finish, you got to the start line and that is the big part of the battle. Getting the race done is just a formality. Now even though I never finished my race, I did more that I ever thought I could possibly do. The journey has taught me so much about myself, my abilities, my inabilities and the power of suggestion, as well as mind over matter. I have made some great lifelong friends a long the way. I have become a stronger person because of this, physically and mentally. What do you really have to lose my trying? Nothing! You only have a world of new experienced to gain. In saying that, although I did not finish my race, I do not feel that I have failed. I have truly come to understand that you only fail when you fail to try. I have my medal for my short ½ marathon and I am darn proud of it.

Will I do this again? I really can’t say. I do struggle with the blisters that I just don’t think will ever go away…and I hurt today…...and to be honest with you, I like to walk now…..which is something I could NEVER say before. I enjoy walking 2-3 miles now…..not so sure about 13.1…..but I gotta tell you, this experience has been life changing for me…..so should you see me out on a ½ marathon course, don’t be surprised.

In a nutshell that is what I have to share form this. I really do think that for those of you comptemplating the Disney Half, just do it!! You have nothing to lose. Should you get swept, you have a great experience to look back on and learn from. Chances are you will have made some life long friends along the way too. And most important, you will find out things about you that you never knew about you! You will find some things you like and some things you hate….but you will find that no matter what, you can do it!! So don’t hold back, do what you can do and be proud of you!

I am proud of me today…..and that is not something I have ever before easily been able to say. Enjoy the journey and in the words of a friend,
Waddle On!!!

:paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :dog2:

Calcio
08-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Liz

Great work yesterday. You should be proud of your commitment, work, effort, and result.

I believe so much in effort in everything we do. It's so easy to not enter, not try, not reach for something we'd like to achieve. Too many people do just that and let life pass them by.

You, on the other hand, reached for it. So you didn't get all 13.1? I don't care. You did 9! Think about that, you did 9! What would your reaction have been in January if someone told you that on August 7 you would walk 9 miles?

Respect of ones peers is the most valuable commodity in the world, because it is not given easily, it must be earned. You Liz have earned my respect many times over.

No chance of seeing you at WDW on January 7 :teeth: ?

Craig

keenercam
08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Liz! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You ROCK, lady! I am sooo happy for you and so proud for you! I really admire your strength and determination and dedication to this effort. It must feel so great to have accomplished two major achievements in just a couple of weeks, first with your climb and now with starting and finishing the larger part of a 1/2 marathon! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I can't even imagine having done what you did such a short time after setting a goal. You have a lot of courage, my friend. Thank you for all you bring to the rest of us!

HUGE HUGS!
Cam

keenercam
08-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Speaking of training -- I have another one of those silly questions:

I am doing the "Walk the Half" MFM training plan, but it is set up for the 1/2 being on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. I still need my "long" days to be on Saturday or Sunday mornings, but am not sure what to do to adjust his training calendar.

If I were to move everything back a day, it would have my long walks on Fridays, which I can't commit to.

Alternatively, I can follow it to a "T" up to week 14 when I would do 30 minute walk on Monday, 30 minute cross training on Tuesday, rest on Wednesday, 30 minute walking and then form drills/strides on Thursday, rest on Friday and then skip the 20 minute walking day that would have been Saturday and instead do the 1/2.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. You would think I'd be able to figure this out, but just not sure what to do.

Also, since the start of this training program is still 8 weeks away, is there anything in particular that you all think I should be doing in the interim? I am trying to walk about 3 miles a day at least 2 times a week, do the elliptical and bike at least 2 times a week, and do a long walk (5-6 miles) one weekend day every weekend.

Thanks, everyone!

Disneefun
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Keenercam -- I think you'd be fine doing the plan up till week 14 and then resting that last Friday and doing the 1/2 on Sat. By that time you will have completed all the hard training (the stuff that makes a difference in your performance) and that last 20 minute walk is just to keep you a little loose for race day. I think it's more important to do the program that way knowing you can commit to all your long walks rather than to mess with it too much and get yourself into a position where you have to miss walks b/c they're on days you can't commit to. JMHO.

Is anyone else getting nervous? I start "official" training on the 22nd. Not like I haven't been working hard to date, but you know, it's that date on the calendar. Anyway, I find myself getting a bit nervous about what the next 4 months have in store. Especially since we've now worked a family reunion vacation around these races, I'd hate not to finish as there will be lots of people there cheering me on. I don't want to fail or, worse, get hurt and not even be able to go. I'm trying not to get all worked up, but I find myself getting a bit nervous about what I've gotten myself into.

However, I have found a metaphor for the goofy challenge that makes me feel a bit better. I used to be a figure skater growing up and when I went to competitions you had the short program on the first day followed by the long program the next day. I just keep telling myself that the goofy challenge is no different: short program on Sat., long program on Sunday. I'm partitioning my brain though so it doesn't remind me that a short program was 2 and a half minutes and a long program was 4 minutes, whereas the half will probably be 2 and a half hours and the marathon will probably be five. See, that would destroy my metaphor.

Anyway, happy training all!!!

plutosmyfav
08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Liz-- Congratulations! You did a fantastic race. You got to meet The Penguin! And he believes in you! As do we. I'm so glad that shoe man didn't get the best of you. He better hope he never meets your WISH friends in a dark alley....

Susan-- I'm sorry your 2nd 5K didn't go as planned. That really stinks about the traffic. Don't let it get you down, everyone has a bad race now and then.

Bree & Christa-- You guys make the Marathon look like a walk in the park :rotfl2: Looks like you had a blast.

I did an easy run on the TM today. 5 miles in 51:30. My legs still don't feel quite right but at least this time wasn't painful. I go to the dr tomorrow to see if I get the "go ahead" to start running :p

Sunny

lizdotcom99
08-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Liz

Great work yesterday. You should be proud of your commitment, work, effort, and result.

I believe so much in effort in everything we do. It's so easy to not enter, not try, not reach for something we'd like to achieve. Too many people do just that and let life pass them by.

You, on the other hand, reached for it. So you didn't get all 13.1? I don't care. You did 9! Think about that, you did 9! What would your reaction have been in January if someone told you that on August 7 you would walk 9 miles?

Respect of ones peers is the most valuable commodity in the world, because it is not given easily, it must be earned. You Liz have earned my respect many times over.

No chance of seeing you at WDW on January 7 :teeth: ?

Craig

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and words! I have to tell you....and Lily will tell you these words DID come out of my mouth.....I was thinking all I need it Crag's posterior in front of me to get through this.....althought I saw MANY posteriors, there just wasn't a Craig posterior......I guess I am going to have to get to WDW on January for that one? :rolleyes: I am thinking I would be a very good water girl ya know! :goodvibes

Calcio
08-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Cam

I love your questions, never apologize.

As always, this is only my opinion, but the Sunday/Saturday race thing isn't an issue at all. Do the longer walks on saturday or sunday as you like, and follow the training plan as if the race is Sunday. Remember the last week or more is tapering and relaxing so you show up fresh and ready to go on race day. Taper as you think appropriate for a Saturday race.

Remember you cannot do anything to help your fitness during the last week, but you can mess up the race by doing too much during the last week. Do some light training and don't obsess about being lazy. You'll make up for it on Saturday, January 7.

Craig

keenercam
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Keenercam -- I think you'd be fine doing the plan up till week 14 and then resting that last Friday and doing the 1/2 on Sat. By that time you will have completed all the hard training (the stuff that makes a difference in your performance) and that last 20 minute walk is just to keep you a little loose for race day. I think it's more important to do the program that way knowing you can commit to all your long walks rather than to mess with it too much and get yourself into a position where you have to miss walks b/c they're on days you can't commit to. JMHO.

As always, this is only my opinion, but the Sunday/Saturday race thing isn't an issue at all. Do the longer walks on saturday or sunday as you like, and follow the training plan as if the race is Sunday. Remember the last week or more is tapering and relaxing so you show up fresh and ready to go on race day. Taper as you think appropriate for a Saturday race.

Remember you cannot do anything to help your fitness during the last week, but you can mess up the race by doing too much during the last week. Do some light training and don't obsess about being lazy. You'll make up for it on Saturday, January 7.

Craig

Thanks for the advice, guys! So, that is what I will do -- follow the plan up to the last week.
I guess I will just keep on "training to train" for now until it is time to start the MFM 14 week program on 10/2. Since both the "walk the half" and "walk/run the half" plans are 14 weeks, as 10/2 approaches, I will determine whether there is any chance of adding some jogging to the mix. I have to tell you, though, I am really, really LOVING walking and was so encouraged Saturday to find that I could get my pace well below 15 without running. I think my speed is improving just by virtue of practice. So, I do have my confident moments! ;) I mean, who would have ever thought 7 months ago that I would be doing a 6+ mile walk? And enjoying it! Cool beans!!! :flower:

Thanks for the support!

lizdotcom99
08-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! So, that is what I will do -- follow the plan up to the last week.
I guess I will just keep on "training to train" for now until it is time to start the MFM 14 week program on 10/2. Since both the "walk the half" and "walk/run the half" plans are 14 weeks, as 10/2 approaches, I will determine whether there is any chance of adding some jogging to the mix. I have to tell you, though, I am really, really LOVING walking and was so encouraged Saturday to find that I could get my pace well below 15 without running. I think my speed is improving just by virtue of practice. So, I do have my confident moments! ;) I mean, who would have ever thought 7 months ago that I would be doing a 6+ mile walk? And enjoying it! Cool beans!!! :flower:

Thanks for the support!

Cam! That is what it is ALL about!!! :goodvibes Keep up the great work!!! I am so happy to hear that you are able to get under a 15 minute mile. That is someting I have yet to acheive....but someday I may just be there with you!! Just keep getting out there and doing what you are doing. I don't think mixing up the days is what hurts you.... I have found that missing them completely is what does!! :rolleyes: Keep on keeping on! Can't wait to hear all about your race day too! It will be here before you know it!!!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

wtpclc
08-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Liz - You are going to to WDW, right????? Just a measly 4.1 more miles to go. (Yes, I know you rlife is chaotic and trianign time is hard to find, but this one's for the Donald!) ;)

TiffJ
08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, I did it!!! Add my name to the list. I'm officially entered in the half-marathon. I was going to wait a couple more days but then I was afraid I would get all excited about it & they would close registration. I just told my Mom about it (she was a runner back in the day) and is considering doing it too!

Liz-thanks for your story. You are right. I am just going to do it. I know I can, now all that has to be done is the training. Easy Breasy! :rotfl2:

There is no way I can fail. I have my own personal motivation, my DH is fully supportive, my Mom is thrilled and of course you guys.

2 mos. till my first 5K and I can't wait!

keenercam: You can repeat some of the weeks in the MFM training program if you want. I plan on doing my own thing for the next 2 weeks, then I'm going to start with week 1 & probably do weeks 1 & 2 more than once. I am going to make sure I don't get swept!

Wogger
08-08-2005, 01:47 PM
hello all

I am back after being gone too long. No need to bore you with the details but I had some medical issues that kept me completely out of the loop for about 3 months.

Needless to say, my training is in the toilet :(

I've been reading a lot of the older threads and saw several of you are using the Marathoning for Mortals plan.....has anyone used this plan to train for a half marathon before? It seems so simple and that scares me!

MelRhoads
08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Liz - I really enjoyed your race report post. Being proud of yourself is well deserved! For now I'll have to give you a virtual "pat on the back". See you in January for the real one. GREAT JOB.

Sunny - Maybe you can send IC to deal with the "shoe guy" and she will leave you alone for a while!

princessmomma
08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Tiff, that's great! Yay! Now try and talk mom into registering too.

Congratulations Liz, I loved reading your report. So are you leaning toward the Donald??

Sunny, now that is a good girl, 5 nice easy 10 MINUTE MILES after surgery! Well, I guess that is easy for you. You go girl.

Cam, I agree with Craig, the Saturday/Sunday thing is a non-issue. Keep up the good work.

Colleen

princessmomma
08-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Liz, could you tell me how to add the running Mickey in my signature?

keenercam
08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Liz, could you tell me how to add the running Mickey in my signature?

Princessmomma -- I just noticed how adorable that Mickey is and added him to my signature. I went to User CP (upper left corner of your screen); clicked on edit signature; and put in the following text

{IMG]http://www.mickeysplace.hpg.ig.com.br/mickeycorrendo2.gif{/IMG]

Then replace the two { with [ and and click on save changes and you should be fine.

Let me know if you need more help

princessmomma
08-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks Cam, worked like a charm! BTW, how do you get all your "icons" to sit in the same row?

Tiger Lily 03
08-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi WISH Team!

I got home after noon-ish today and DH took me to lunch. I have officially unpacked the car and my stuff. I am a bit tired from the ride home and the fun weekend!

I have read the thread and thank you teammates for your support and concerns. Liz, thanks for posting up the pics and your race story. I will give my rendition later. Right now I want to say that this was a great experience and I am grateful I could participate in this with Liz. Thank you to Liz and Greg for your hospitality. It really was good of you to open your home to me.

Jodi
08-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Congrats to Liz & Lilly - Liz, you rock, you were there, you started, that's all that counts. Such an inspiration. I love the medals.

Minnie - Hurry up & register!!! Time is running out!

Tiffj - Way to go, we'll see you there

Disneefun - I know what you mean, I got knots in my stomach everytime I sit & think about it too long

Happy training

Jodi

littlegreydonkey
08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Yeh Liz, yeh Lily, well done both. And Liz, even you decide not to do the half on Jan 7 (but I think you'd do it you know, if you can do a sub 3hour 9 miles, I reckon we could get you to 13.1 in 3.30 in five months), then we still want to see you as official cheersquad leader - or water girl. It wont be the same without you. Helen

Minnie
08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
:cheer2: Liz :cheer2: Lilly!!!!! You are insparations to all of us! Liz your story got my tired rear off the couch and to the Y to get my 3 miles in. If you can do 9 miles now I have no doubt that you can do 13.1 in January!

By the way has anyone noticed just much longer the miles seem on the dreaded TM? I wasn't on it any longer but it felt like it was forever :rolleyes:

I still haven't managed to crack the 3 mile limit that I have somehow placed on myself. I can't really see registering for 13.1 miles when I'm stuck at 3. Oh well I'm going to keep training and if I get shut out of registering this year I have next year to consider.

TiffJ
08-09-2005, 05:56 AM
C'mon Minnie! You can do it. I went from couch potatoe to "in training" just 3 days ago. I went ahead & registered so I wouldnt get shut out. Maybe registering will give you that extra push you need to go past 3 miles.(I'm on 2 by the way)

You can do it!

plutosmyfav
08-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Sunny - Maybe you can send IC to deal with the "shoe guy" and she will leave you alone for a while! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

She'd mess him up real bad!!!!!! I think she'd use TaeBo :rotfl:

Minnie: I think the TM warps the time-space continuum somehow. I am dreading the s-l-o-w time spent on it this winter. However, I have also discovered that on rare occasion I can achieve "Treadmill Nirvana", something that isn't possible on the road. It happens when my body is fluid and my mind completely detatches and loses all sense of space and time. This obviously can't happen on the road or I'd get squished! I listen to music. I don't think you can get this trance-like state watching tv or reading. Look for it and you'll find it :goodvibes

Here is an excerpt from my WISH journal describing TN:

http://www.livinglively.com/clipart/treadmill.gif TREADMILL NIRVANA (Jan 11, 2005)
I'm going to try to attempt to put in words what Treadmill Nirvana feels like. I start out fully aware of my surroundings, people talking, machines pounding in asynchronous rythms, music in the background, 6 tvs on the wall in front of me, mostly tuned to news channels. I set my course to manual, enter my time and weight and off I go. At first I am aware of the sound of my feet pounding the tread, I adjust my posture, get my headphones chord situated. Soon I realize I'm thoroghly enjoying myself. My shoulders are back, chest high, abs tight. TIGHT! My legs feel like well oiled machines doing their thing without any input from me. They just move. The movement is fluid and free and effortless. I feel invinsible, I could do this forever. I have no cares no worries. I am not aware of anything in my life for this moment. No stresses, no anger, frustration. NOTHING! I'm no longer aware of the room, the people, tvs, sounds. My eyes are fixed on a little spec on the green floor. They've been parked there for 10, 15, 20 minutes. Who knows. Who cares. In my peripheral vision I can see green sneakers cycling. They are lime green. That makes me smile. I suppose they are attached to a person, it is of little consequence to me. The music in my headphones is the only thing my mind registers. It is fantastic. I don't remember it sounding so good before. Every song pumps me up more than the one before. SOmeone walks between me and my spec and I am jolted back to reality for a minute. Darn! All of the sudden I realize I am getting tired and I am tempted to look at the time. No don't look yet! Make it last alittle longer before you start the "30 second mind games". Alas, I've come to the 30 second mind games. I don't exactly know what it is I bargain, but somehow I bargain to make it another 30 seconds. I glimpse at the time again, phew, made it! 30 seconds more... until the machine kicks into cool down.

That is Treadmill Nirvana. That is what keeps me coming back when the workouts are blah and every ounce of my being screams, "I don't want to workout today".

In re-reading this I realized what used to be 30-second mindgames is now 5-10 minute mindgames. I've progressed!!!!!

Welcome back Wogger! There's plenty of time to get your training back on track.

Sunny

aladdinsgirl
08-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Do you ever have a night where everything clicks? The music on your mp3 player is all upbeat, your clothes are fitting comfortably, and the temperature outside for once isn't sweltering? That was my night last night. I walked 3.05 miles in 41:55 and my mile average was 13:45. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Minnie--What are you waiting for?? You can do it!

Sunny--Glad that you're feeling better. Can you tell me how to achieve TN? I just can't seem to go more than 40 minutes on my treadmill and when I do walk on the treadmill, I can't go much faster than 4.3 because I feel like I'm going to fall off the side. One good thing about the treadmill is that I can sing along with my mp3-player at the top of my lungs and nobody cares. :)

Liz--I'm proud of you for attempting to do the half marathon. Do you know how many people don't even try? I believe it was our beloved John Bingham who said that you only fail when you never try. Hope to see at the start line on January 7th.

TiffJ--Congrats for registering!! :cheer2:

Susan--Sorry about the disappointing 5K! I hope your next one goes much better. My first 5K is on Aug. 20th, I hope the race will be better organized!

Mel--I hope your training camp is going better than ours! Let's see, Duce Staley had knee surgery yesterday, Bettis ran into Roethelisberger during practice on Thursday and Big Ben was icing his hand and his leg, and Hines Ward still hasn't settled his contract. Hopefully the bad the rehearsal/good performance rule applies to football!! By the way, I was very relieved to see that you are a Bucs fan, I really like Jon Gruden. Now if you were a Ravens or a Browns fan, I don't think we could talk anymore! :earboy2:

Good luck to everyone training today! Stay cool and hydrated!

Krista princess:

wtpclc
08-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Krista - Way to go on the great walk! That's an awesome pace! Just to make you feel better about camp, you could be a Lion's fan. :rolleyes:

Lisa loves Pooh
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Way to go Liz---I'll have the rewrite that song...

hmmmmm....

Lisa loves Pooh
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Rough around the edges (a rewrite of a rewrite)--but much better than the Garmin--Liz got a medal....so I feel obligated to rewrite her song....here goes:

Intro:
Liz got her butt out
{ she walked, she walked }

Chorus:
Liz got her butt out { she walked, she walked }

Verse:
Wish team got started, everybody was walkin’ {Hey, Yippie, Yi, Yo}
And everybody havin' a ball{Hah, ho, Yippie Yi Yo}
We’re postin’ on threads, doin’ some chattin’ {Yippie Yi Yo}
And Liz reports she hit a wall
had trouble walkin’

Chorus:

Rap 1:
She set her sights ahead, to the distance classic
She really wanted to finish
Feet got movin, she could do it
Dog catcher came to see right to it

Instrumental Chorus:

Verse:
She told herself “That medal will be mine” {Hey, Yippie, Yi, Yo}
No matter how far she fall behind{Yippie, Yi, Yo}
The Penguin suggested a little short cutty {Yippie Yi, Yo}
She walked her plan, took a cut to complete mile 9 {Yippie, Yi, Yo}
Look who can walk now

Chorus:

Chant:
Say, it was a hard walk, but look at that girl go, All Wishteam give Liz a buzz, all Wish team buzz.

Liz IS a ‘thoner ‘cause she walks; All wishers walk your stuff, all wishers walk it.

Rap # 2:

Look my wish friends, the party is on
She got her medal she set her myind on
Did you feel the sweat drippin’ as you walked?
Who could you call on to keep goin’
Lily the dog catcher, she came to town.
You and your sausage pants
Both have earned that medal, just look at you move
I’m hopin’ you hear the “move your booty” call
Wanna see you go for round 2
Time to get that Donald…..

Chorus (5 X's ):

MelRhoads
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Speedwork bad!!!!! Nothing more to say

monte
08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
The "Liz rap" motivated me this morning and I was able to walk 7 mls. in 2 hrs.....not the greatest time, but I feel good. :cool1:

monte
08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
The "Liz rap" :rolleyes1 motivated me this morning and I was able to walk 7 mls. in 2 hrs.....not the greatest time, but I feel good. :cool1:

littlegreydonkey
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Lisa - how do you manage to run, homeschool two kids, raise money for charity and write songs online, v impressed!!

AS for Minnie's treadmill trauma, it definitely does something odd to your brain. I can run for 90 mins outside without noticeing (time that is, not leg wise) but I can't stay on a treadmill now for more than 5 minutes without feeling like someone's torturing me. When I lived in london there was a saying that tubetrain minutes were always twice as long as real minutes (as it would always say the train was 3 minutes away but it would take 5 to arrive) I reckon treadmill minutes are at least 5 times longer.

Not much to report runningwise for me, lungs all better now so went out for an hour monday night - which turned into 1.15 of hills as we ran a new route which wasn't exactly as short or as flat as we thought! Looks like I'll do an hour tonight. Anyway, got the last two lines of the book to write now (quite literally but they involve me looking up a statistic and I'm procrastinating here while I eat lunch instead) so better go. Happy training all. Helen

Lisa loves Pooh
08-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Lisa - how do you manage to run, homeschool two kids,

Well homeschooling "used" to take 2 hours--we've had a change of heart to allow DD to try parochial school. I e-mailed the principal today and they said they had a spot for her if we wanted it. She really wants to try "real" school. I figure now is the best time to "try".

:blush:

What are you writing?

lizdotcom99
08-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Lisa :rotfl2: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the song!

Sorry to be so short...but I REALLY hurt and and I headed to bed. I found out that my mother has been having some more issues with TIAs and mini strokes and is in the hospital this evening. I am in NW Indiana and my mom is in Southwest Florida....there is a bit of a difference in miles there....not much to do here...but worry of course. Anyway, a little :wizard: for my mom would be appreciated.

And for those of you who want to see ALL the pics...I have them uploaded but not captioned yet. Lily took most of these. Thanks Lily! I love them!! And I LOVE that you memorialized EVERY moment!!! :teeth:

Chicago Distance Classic Pictures (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2122637268)

Night night!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
08-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Liz--that looks like a gorgeous route!!!

wtpclc
08-10-2005, 06:51 AM
LIz - Prayers for your mom. It's SO hard to be that far away when things happen. :grouphug:

plutosmyfav
08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Liz,

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. It looks like a beautiful route. I'm so glad JB is as great in person as he is in print! I just loved the feet pics!

My prayers are with you and DM. I hope she is better soon.

Sunny

TXBelle
08-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Liz- Lots of PD and prayers for your mom in Fla. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I love your photos! It really makes me want to bring a camera with me on the 1/2 marathon this year. I didn't last year, and now I wish I had.

Wow, we are only 5 months away folks! Everyone keep up the good work. :paw:

keenercam
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Liz -- Thanks for sharing the pix! Awesome! Prayers and pixie dust for your DM, and I hope you are doing okay.

HUGS!
Cam

wtpclc
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
The latest marathon newsletter just said that the half and the full are 75% filled! Please register ASAP if oyu have not already!

lizdotcom99
08-10-2005, 01:53 PM
But, but, but, I still hurt from my last race.........ugh! I guess I know what I need to do with with a portion of my next bonus check.......... :scared: :faint: :crazy: :scratchin :eek: :confused3

keenercam
08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Come on, Liz! You have already proven you can do 9!!!!!!! And it's still 5 months away! Others of us are no where near that distance yet! You can do it!

wtpclc
08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Liz is waivering. I can feel it.

5 months to add 4 miles. That's 1 mile per month. Way under 10% per week. Time for pace work.... :teacher: :teeth:

Tiger Lily 03
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I've tried posting this three times today. Ugh!

Hi WISH Team!

I’m back! Thank you all for the support you gave to Liz and me. This place is truly the greatest!

As Liz has already said, we got to meet John Bingham! That was such fun! We spotted him walking around the grounds and made a line right to him. It was one of many highlights for sure. He is so easy to talk with and quite inspirational and supportive. His words of encouragement really did make all the difference as we were mentally and logistically preparing how we would handle the next day. It was quite hot on Sunday; we had heard that the temps were to be down a bit but that turned out to not be so. I think with the heat index it was well into the 90’s as we were making the trek. This event had some really beautiful things to see and participating with Liz and Amanda made it an extra special event for certain.

Thinking of your Mom Liz and hoping the best for her.

Everyone, I am glad to see your training posts. They are interesting to read. Thank you all for posting.

I am having a typical post event few days here. I am not very motivated at the moment.

Keep your posts coming; I will be drawing off them as I try to fit back into some sort of routine as the training schedule is getting near.

I could like to hear from some of our Missing Team mates too! What's been happening?

littlegreydonkey
08-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Liz - hope you're mum's okay, it's only 17 days till I get to England and see mine, haven't seen her since Feb so it's about time. Mind you after 10 days together we generally need six months apart!!!

Lisa: I'm writing another diet book, my second one in about three months so I'm going slightly calorie crazed. This one may not come out until 2007 though - and I've only got five more chapters left to edit today and it's over. HOORAY.

I ran for an hour of hills last night and it was tough, in fact I ran better last week when I was sick! I have been doing a lot of strength training and running over the last five days though and my legs haven't had a rest so I'm blaming that - day off today and tomorrow though so can recover ready for two hours (or maybe 2.5) this weekend to remind myself I can do it, here's hoping it doesn't rain.

Oh and Liz - again - to paraphrase a well known song from Lisa.
Liz get your entry in - yes, yes, yes, yes
Liz get your entry in - yes, yes, yes, yes

Bye now: Helen

Minnie
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Carrie,

As a procrastinator or more accuartely as a scardie cat that hasn't decided whether to register or not can you tell me what newsletter you got that stated it was 75% full?

Thanks!
Minnie

Minnie
08-10-2005, 09:28 PM
No training tonight - my new job is requiring extra hours and had school registration for my DS following that.

My feet are hurting bad also and they need the time off to try and heel the sores on them. Hope to be back at it later in the week.

Hope everyone else is doing great!

princessmomma
08-10-2005, 09:30 PM
This newsletter came today to those already registered. Here is a chunk of the newsletter:

Registration Update...Reached 75% of Capacity

The Marathon and the Half Marathon have now reached more than 75% of the registration capacity. If you have friends or family that want to be a part of the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend, they need to register now. Spread the word! Don't let your friends and family miss out on the most exciting WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend yet! For registration information for the Marathon, Half Marathon, and Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, visit www.disneyworldmarathon.com today!

So....does anyone know if they have increased their maximum field now that they are on separate days? What was max last year?

Colleen

keenercam
08-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Well, after another late night (11:40 to bed), I dragged myself out this morning at 6. UGH! I cannot keep doing this. NOTE TO SELF: Get to sleep earlier! Did a 5 minute warmup walk and then jogged the first 1 minute of every 5 minute interval, like this
0-5 -- walk
5-6 -- jog
6-10 -- walk
10-11 -jog
11-15 - walk
15-16 - jog
16-20- walk
21-22 - jog
22-25 walk
25-26 jog
26-30 walk
30-31 jog -- I hit 1.98 miles at 31 minutes.
cool down for a couple minutes after that.

I think that was about a 15:40 pace, but more important to me was that I was able to jog 6 x 1 minute. Haven't tried this in months (since my disastrous "abort" of the couch to 4K plan.

Happy training, all!

lizdotcom99
08-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes for my mom. She is home and resting. She has had over a dozen of these little strokes...ones of these days she is not going to be so lucky. That is a part of my reality that I don't like. But for now, all is well. Thanks for thinking of us.

Cam, you are rockin!!! (Imagine there is a really cool smiley here) Keep up the great work. That is awesome.

Colleen, thanks for sharing your newsletter with us! Some of us may be getting out very own copy pretty soon! :teeth:

Minnie, hope your feet feel better soon! I know just how you feel. I would be just fine if it weren't for that little toe of mine that seems to be one enite blister. Heal quickly! What kind of sox and shoes are you wearing? Think they could be causing your blisters?

Helen, enjoy your rest days! Sounds like you need them. I could use a good diet book! You will have to send me the title. I might just need an autographed copy of that book! :teeth: An author WITH dual citizenship...now where is the hoity toity smiley? Have a nice holiday with your mum!! Oh and enjoy some delish Charbonell Walker Chapagne Truffles while you are in England....they are the best. The violet candy or the rose candy, not so good....but the truffles...to DIE for!

Hi Lily! I miss you! Hope all is going well. Race photos are up btw. Race Photos (www.runphotos.com)
Lily's race bib number is 531 and mine 538.....yep it is true that Lily signed up for this before me! What a friend!!

Carrie, is that peer pressure I am feeling from you? Say it isn't so! I am working on getting the nerve to join in!! :goodvibes

Sunny and Lisa, that route is gorgeous....it really is! And it is flat! Now, if they would more that race to September or something like that it might be a bit more fun. But in all actuality, we were so lucky weather wise. It could have been so much hotter.....and humid!!

Well, that is all I have time for this morning. Hope to check back later in the day. Have a great day!!!!

Once again, thanks for all the support you have all given me with walking and with my mom~ It is absolutely unbeleivable to think an internet group could be as close knit as this group!! Big group hug, and with that I am off to work!!!

wtpclc
08-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Liz - That would be peer pressure - EVERYONE'S doing it!

Minnie - If you were to sign up, you'd get a newsletter e-mailed to you adn you'd be cool like the rest of us! ;) (Yes, that owuld eb more peer pressure).

I've been bad this week. DH called off Monday's run do to heat. I take back all I ever said about him! Every day has been hectic, though. I'll be out tonight. I think we're up to 50 minutes. Saturday is a 7 miler. DId I mention I ran into a Curves manager Monday night getting pizza (too hot to run = too hot to cook). Can you say guilt? I really need to get back to cross training again. I can fell my arms withering away and my stomach getting bigger. :( Somehow, I'm going to have to fit that in once "real" training starts.

TXBelle
08-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Just a quick note before I start working. I ran 3/walked 2 again this morning. My pace was much faster than Monday (just under 15:00), but the best thing was that I had no problem with the 3/2 interval. Hey, I can run 3 minutes at a time! Tomorrow is a rest day and then a 5K on Saturday morning. We start at 7:15 so hopefully it will not be too hot. Too bad they won't be giving out cool Penguin medals at the finish. ;)

MelRhoads
08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Liz (imagine I'm singing your name) JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

princessmomma
08-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Colleen, thanks for sharing your newsletter with us! Some of us may be getting out very own copy pretty soon! :teeth: !!!

Oh Liz, that sounds so promising! We all know you can do this! Just get those blisters healed up and you will be on your way!

TXBelle, great job on thoses 3's before you know it, you will be up to 5 minutes of pure running!

Carrie, I too have to start cross training. So how do you work in cross training? I also heard of a yoga/pilates tape for runners. Has anyone tried this?

Cam, good job on your running as well. It is amazing how quickly your endurance builds.

Helen, have a good trip to see your "mum"! I am orginally from Canada and refer to my mother as "mum". I am now in North Carolina and I get razzed from my southern friends when I say mum instead of mom.

Lily, sounds you are resting up nicely. I read somewhere that after a race your body needs one day of rest for each mile you ran. That held true after I ran my first half marathon last month. My legs and toes were really sore, I actually had bruises on two toenails (one on each foot). I have a lot of room at the end of my shoes, maybe too much?? Lily, you are doing the full correct?

I did 6 miles last night, the longest run since my half and it felt great. I am getting nervous about actually starting the training plan in a few weeks.

Colleen

wtpclc
08-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Colleen - Before I strated going for the marathon, I'd been doing Curves. Since I started running, I really concentrate on arms and legs while there. However, when running 3 x's a week, my Curves time has really been slipping. Just Do It! Comes to mind. I still don't know how, though. I've heard pilates is good for cross training. Many people bike or swim. It's just anything but running.

Cam - Those intervals are great! I'm still struggling with the fact that my full run is not much faster than my intervals.

keenercam
08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Cam - Those intervals are great! I'm still struggling with the fact that my full run is not much faster than my intervals.

Yes, Carrie! Ironically, I am pretty sure my walking pace was slower than ever, as I "recovered" after each 60 second "jog". :confused3 Oh, well, it will all come in time. I am not going to beat myself up over it. I still have 7 weeks, I think, until the training matrix starts. I hope to be much further along this continuum by then. :teeth:

By the way, has anyone figured out a remedy for "runner's toe"? The second toe on both of my feet now "sports" :rotfl: a black toenail, and black at the base of the nail (maybe where even the new nail growth has gone black? :confused3 Our friend who is a marathoner says his toes are always like this and that I should take pride in the fact that they are scars hard won. :love2: What a cutie! Hey, now, that is one more thing we inexperienced walkers/runners/woggers can share with more experienced athletes (besides the start line and the experience, according to our beloved penguin!) -- black toenails! :earseek:

wtpclc
08-11-2005, 10:29 AM
My dad always had black toes, but I'd lean towrds needing a bigger sure. I'm no Big Dog, though.

Jodi
08-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Yes, Carrie! Ironically, I am pretty sure my walking pace was slower than ever, as I "recovered" after each 60 second "jog". :confused3 Oh, well, it will all come in time. I am not going to beat myself up over it. I still have 7 weeks, I think, until the training matrix starts. I hope to be much further along this continuum by then. :teeth:

By the way, has anyone figured out a remedy for "runner's toe"? The second toe on both of my feet now "sports" :rotfl: a black toenail, and black at the base of the nail (maybe where even the new nail growth has gone black? :confused3 Our friend who is a marathoner says his toes are always like this and that I should take pride in the fact that they are scars hard won. :love2: What a cutie! Hey, now, that is one more thing we inexperienced walkers/runners/woggers can share with more experienced athletes (besides the start line and the experience, according to our beloved penguin!) -- black toenails! :earseek:

My mom got this not too long ago when she walked 12 miles (yeh, @ 69 y/o) in a pair of shoes that did not fit right. Here toes kept hitting up against the front of the sneaker. I think you need to find a shoe that is tight enough so it doesn't slide, but not too tight to cut off circulation. I'm no expert, just a suggestion. Have you been to a "real" running store that sells good sneakers (& not a place in your local mall)

BTW, my mom only wore these sneakers once & it was raining. When she switched back to her true training sneakers the problem disappeared. She walks about 5 miles every day!

Jodi :wave2:

Lisa loves Pooh
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Liz--I'm wondering if you need more space in your toe box. I am a size 10 shoe..but wear a size 11 running shoe. In the store--my toes do not touch the toe-wall at all. Plenty of room to wiggle. A little awkward at first--you shouldn't feel like you are tripping. But I'm wondering if that is your problem.

lizdotcom99
08-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Lisa,

In the running store I measured ata size 7.5.....but my running shoes (which I can tell you that I need a new pair at this point) are 8.5 I do have a wide foot and I am going to get my butt to the running store to be fitted agian for shoes.....maybe I need to find something else. And of course I would LOVE for them to see my blister and the wear on my shoe to see if they can see any reason that they might be able to correct with a different shoe. The thought of falling in love with a who new pair of shoes....ahhhhhh......yes, remind me of that torrid love affain I had early on in the day s of training........ :rotfl:
Liz--I'm wondering if you need more space in your toe box. I am a size 10 shoe..but wear a size 11 running shoe. In the store--my toes do not touch the toe-wall at all. Plenty of room to wiggle. A little awkward at first--you shouldn't feel like you are tripping. But I'm wondering if that is your problem.

wtpclc
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Keep your fingers crossed for me...

OK, dh and I are trying to save DVC points and not go to WDW until Saturday. I really don't like arriving teh day before teh marathon and I really want to see my friends in teh half. Well, while checking out airfare, I discovered that we could save about $150 (even when adding a rental car and 1 night at ASM) by coming down teh night before. We wouldn't have to take any extra time off work and we'd get the added bonus of a non-stop flight. I'm going to pitch this to dh tonight. Wish me luck!!!!

MelRhoads
08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm a black toe nail gal big time. I really have to keep them trimmed short. I lost 2 big toe nail on a really long hike with short boots, but I have since lost others on trail runs (one was a 25k with tons of climbs and drops, but it was free and you get chili at the end!) I think some people are more proned to it than others. I have good shoes, I have just started to wear toe nail polish so i can still look girly even when they are black!

Tiger Lily 03
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Cam, sounds like you are really making great progress.Congrats!

Liz, hope the running store has great advice for you. DH has the WIDE foot thing and it is a challenge to get him fitted. I think finally the manufacturers are realizing the need for this as recently it seems the problem has not been as serious as before. Hope you have lots of choices and lots of success.

keenercam
08-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi, all!
Carrie -- good luck on the airfare thing. Any progress yet? We are waiting for Southwest to realize dates beyond December 12. I really just want to get it booked so that everything is in place and I can focus on dieting and training.

Lily -- Thanks! A compliment from you makes my day! Actually, any compliment makes my day, but you are so sweet to be so supportive!

As for the shoe thing -- a couple of things I have learned. I have walked in shoes that feel snug on my toes and my new shoes that have plenty of room, and neither improves the black toe situation. Also, our marathoner friend has them too and doesn't believe anything for certain prevents them.

Lastly -- when I was looking for shoes recently, I found that men's regular width shoes are the same as women's wide width, so buying a man's shoe is an option if you can't find a wide one in the women's section. They did have some nice color schemes (though no purple that I saw! ;))

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my new shoes? They are New Balance 1122. Very roomy and cushy! I have learned to tie them using the lock lace technique, because, just my luck, the only "skinny" part of my body is my heels :rotfl: . So, I lace them loose across the front and top, and lock the laces to help keep my heel from sliding out on every step!

Okay, back to earning my keep. Happy training, WISH buddies! :cool1:

wtpclc
08-12-2005, 07:56 AM
:cool1: Booked airfare. Arriveing Firday night. Better start studying where to cheer for the half! Oh, dh informed me that w ecould do teh Goofy now. NOT!!!!! Maybe another time, but running the full is my goal. I'm not going to mess with it. I'll be support team on Saturdat. :cheer2:

TXBelle
08-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Carrie- You will have to let us know where to look for you. You can find the course map online at www.disneyworldmarathon.com.

Anyone still interested in coordinated shirts so that we can identify ourselves as WISHers?

wtpclc
08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Carrie- You will have to let us know where to look for you. You can find the course map online at www.disneyworldmarathon.com.

Anyone still interested in coordinated shirts so that we can identify ourselves as WISHers?
Yes, We probably need to get on thsi soon. I'll go start a poll on the main board.

chimera
08-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Poetry talent?
Your shoe haiku can win you
One free year of shoes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/gearcontest/september2005.html

plutosmyfav
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Ughh. I am wimping out BIG TIME. Blah, blah, blah

Today was only my second run of the week :scared1: bringing my weekly mileage up to 10.5! I've been doing plenty of cross-training but I don't know what's up with the running. Mostly the stupid *&$#@ heat and humidity. According to weather.com it is supposed to "feel like" 82 by 9AM tomorrow. So my long run might be blah, just like today's 5.1 miles.http://www.livinglively.com/clipart/acyuck.gif

As for black toe nails, no toe nails. My second toe's nail on my right foot used to go black and fall off from time to time. I think since I switched to the Asics Cumulus I haven't had too much trouble. I'm not sure, though, I keep them covered in nail polish ;) Its hard to get shoes to fit properly. My left foot is exactly a 9, my right foot is just under a 9 1/2. So I go with 9 1/2.

I was at Bob's yesterday. They are having a 20% off on shoes, but they didn't have my size of Cumulus. I was mad. DD & I shopped all day from 10AM to 6PM but the only stuff I bought for myself was running clothes! Pretty soon I'll have to resort to wearing CoolMax to work, 'cause that's all I'll own.

Sunny

keenercam
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Speaking of gadgets. . . . yeah, you all know we are gadget geeks! Anyway, does anyone use "speed laces"? They look soooooo, hmmmm, ummmm, GADGETY! :rotfl: I just can't seem to avoid those really cool sites. Has anyone seen those runner ids with the cute pix on front and back? Oh, that's right, they also have such vital information on them as emergency contact, blood type, medication allergies, etc.

Sooo, what do you think of the speed laces?: see them here (http://www.speedlaces.com/)

Tiger Lily 03
08-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Mel, thanks for that link. Could be fun.

Didja notice they also have a daily gear giveaway on their home page? hmm sounds interesting, but winner must be "present" to win I think. We could all look out for each other's names probably. :earsgirl:

Sunny, so sorry about the running wall you have hit and the no shoes thing. I need to go to the store to find new ones soon too. I'm hoping I won't feel bad b/c I can't find a pair I like.

I'm thinking something identifiable would certainly be a fun idea. I got noticed passing along the Contemporary hill by the lime green scarf I was carrying the entire way. That was fun to have someone shouting for me..."Hey WISHer!" Will hafta get to the what to wear thread I guess. I am wondering if we can carry lime green streamers, arm bands, ribbons, scarfs, shoe laces, ankle bands... or something such as that if the shirt idea doesn't lift off. Shirts with names on front and back in BIG letters is a great way for folks to see and cheer on us participants as well.

I think it is suposed to be raining all weekend here. Sigh, I meet up with the group in the a.m. and am helping out at a triathalon Sunday a.m. While we do indeed need rain, I'm hoping that the events go off without rain.

plutosmyfav
08-13-2005, 04:15 AM
Those speed laces look pretty cool!!!

Well its 5:15AM and I'm heading out the door for my LR. Weathers been changed to say it will feel like 85 by 9AM so I better get my butt in gear.

The IC is in command until further notice....

Sunny

keenercam
08-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Did a 5 minute warmup walk and then jogged the first 1 minute of every 5 minute interval, like this
0-5 -- walk
5-6 -- jog
6-10 -- walk
10-11 -jog
11-15 - walk
15-16 - jog
16-20- walk
21-22 - jog
22-25 walk
25-26 jog
26-30 walk
30-31 jog -- I hit 1.98 miles at 31 minutes.
cool down for a couple minutes after that.

I think that was about a 15:40 pace, but more important to me was that I was able to jog 6 x 1 minute. Haven't tried this in months (since my disastrous "abort" of the couch to 4K plan.

Happy training, all!

I did exactly the same routine again this morning, but ended up doing it a "smidge" faster so that I completed 2.03 in 30:59. Pace 15:16 -- slight improvement over Thursday. :) I was actually eager to get out this morning -- really wanted to see if I could do that again. :cool1:

TXBelle
08-13-2005, 09:09 AM
I finished my 1st 5K today in 41:10! A new PR! It felt good, and I was able to run 3/walk 2 the whole way! You guys are right about them being addictive. I am already trying to schedule the next one. ;)

Jodi
08-13-2005, 09:54 AM
He all;

Congrats TXBelle on your 5K, good deal.

Sunny: It'll get better & the slump will pass. About a month 1/2 ago I couldn't get out of my own way past 5 miles. I gave it time, though & tried not to get too down on myself. You'll blow through this wall.

Today I did 10 miles @ a pace of 11 minute per mile.

Now I feel dead

Jodi

plutosmyfav
08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Congratulations, TXBelle!!!! Now you're hooked :) Way to go on the PR.

Thanks, Jodi, I know you're right. We all "slump" once and a while. Just hope I don't slump in January!

Cam, you rock! You are increasing speed and stamina at a grate rate. You go, girl :moped:

Well the heat and humidity were brutal this morning. It took my Forerunner 2 miles to lock onto satellites. I couldn't see more than 100 yards through the fog/haze. YUCK. I did 15 miles at a snail's pace. I drank about 6 lbs worth of fluids and still was 2 lbs lighter when I got home! Forget shoe puddles, I was a puddle. But I'm glad I got out there and racked up some mileage for this wimpy week.

Sunny

keenercam
08-13-2005, 05:17 PM
TxBelle-- congrats on your first 5K!!! :cool1: Glad you found the experience so enjoyable that you are willing to do it again! Your time was AWESOME!!!

Sunny -- I can't believe you did 15 miles in those conditions. Are you nuts? You amaze me and inspire me!

Jodi - congrats on doing 10 miles today. I can't even imagine what kind of shape you will be in just a couple of months from now!

Lisa loves Pooh
08-13-2005, 06:18 PM
So my "squishy" vacation is almost over---I have been spending the week not running (okay--ran once!)....and eating all sorts of evil things! Starting on Monday--training starts for me....and I love that first phase--all easy stuff!! Wahoooo!!!!

Went to kick off today and such a wonderful thing! Several teammates from last season are back so it will be fun to jog with friends again. :)

My training is as follows in the coming weeks:
Week Sat Sun Mon Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Tot

8/13/2005 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED 2 THUR 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 6
8/20/2005 SAT 3 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Cross Train THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 7
8/27/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Group Training THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 8
9/3/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED Cross Train THU 3 FRI Rest TOTAL 9
9/10/2005 SAT 4 SUN Rest MON 2 TUE Cross Train WED 2 THU 2 FRI Rest TOTAL 10

Saturdays are long days (though they don't look that long, do they?)---and always, the day before and day after are rest days.

(posting this--but will try to clean it up)

perfectmatch300
08-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Liz, Lily, and Amanda I know I'm late checking in, but great job in Chicago!!! I loved the pictures!

Cam, those laces looked interesting. I just might have to try them.

I really feel like a wimp because I'm focusing on 2007 for the Disney half. I am pretty sure I could complete the distance, but I'd be so far over the time that I would never get the chance to finish. Besides, I don't plan on much of a training program for the next month or so except for our move to our new house. I do plan to look for a 5K after we get moved. Ill see how that goes as far as pace, and if the entries are still open then maybe..... Otherwise it's 2007 for me.

TiffJ
08-14-2005, 06:08 AM
Hello everyone!
I've been helping mom with garage sale this week so I've been out of commission(she lives 6 hrs from me) but the good news is we made some good money to help pay for my marathon trip.

Also-she has signed up for the 1/2 marathon too!!

I am having a difficult time trying to decide where to stay. Where are you guys staying? We dont usually stay onsite so I've been trying to justify a deluxe (WL or AKL) but my pocketbooks says "whoa" especially if I dont know for sure codes will be coming out. Are you guys going down early & going to the parks at all? I was thinking about coming down Tues. & going to MK Wed. Then Thur & Fri just hang out.DTD & other stuff in Orlando. I love that town!

Any opinions would be great.

As for training: Mom & I walked 2 miles Fri night in 32 min. That is almost a 15 min mile! Also the first 5 min & last 10 we were going slower. Now all I have to do is sustain it for 3 hrs :teeth:

chimera
08-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Come join us for a new week!

Week of Aug 14 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9561958#post9561958)