PDA

View Full Version : Off property dining suggestions??

ChrisAlli
07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Not sure if this is a no, no here....but can anyone recommend restaurants off Disney property, close by.

We'll have a car and we're getting in around dinner time just looking for somewhere before check in or later in the week for something different?

pbharris4
07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
There's a ton of places near the Downtown Disney Entrance. Macaroni Grill, The Crab House, Bahama Breeze, Pizzeria Uno, Chevys, and so on.

Henlady
07-27-2005, 02:41 PM
We have eaten several times at Jungle Jims which is located in the "Goodings" plaza that is located across the road from the DTD entrance on Rt 535. It is an interesting restaurant and the food is pretty good and reasonably priced. They have a large selection of hamburgers along with many other choices and DH swears by the "chunked potatoes with toppings-cheese, bacon, etc.."(can't remember the exact name) appetizer.

Kris :wave2:

85 days till we leave for our 30th Anniversary 4-day Wonder Cruise and a few days at PO-R

gatour
07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Bahama Breeze would be a good choice from something different. It can get crowded though.

MandM-Mom
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
The Macaroni grill Restaurants are wonderful, we love them......if you like Italian!

deltachi8
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Its certainly not a fancy place, but i LOVE getting a milkshake at Steak and Shake. For about $8 you get a burger, two sides and a wonderful shake. Just around the corner from Hotel Plaza on 535.

Sarnia
07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
If it's not too far then Emeril's at Universal City Walk and Tchoup Chop at Royal Pacific at Universal are both amazing :cloud9:

Pokprincess
07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
If you wanted something along the lines of Buffet type... we go to Golden Corral.. which is in the same area.. but the other direction from Goodings plaza.. we think it's great. They had a nice selection.. steaks, burgers, chicken... everything... even baked sweet potatoes..(my favorite) :banana:

momof2disprincesses
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Last trip we stayed off-site at Country Inn & Suites in Lake Buena Vista and we ate once at Macaroni Grill (Italian, very family friendly) and once at Chevy's (really good Mexican). LOVED them both and would highly recommend either. I think they have multiple locations around WDW.

mitros
07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Most of the restaurants around WDW are of your standard chain type eateries. If you have it near your home, it is basically the same in Orlando. We occasionally ate outside Disney, but not anymore. The Disney restaurants are different, not your run of the mill place that you can go to near your home. That's why we never eat off property any more. There are a few places off site that are different, but we don't find it worth the effort when we are at WDW.

Juligan
07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
There are two fondue places in Orlando... the Melting Pot and I think the other is Colorado Fondue Company.

goin2disneyagain
07-29-2005, 05:26 PM
We go to Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Tony Roma's and Perkins.

MandM-Mom
07-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I love Perkins, I wish we had one close to me. I used to get the Big Salads in the bread bowls yummy!

ducklite
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
About a 25 minute drive from the AKL is Santiago's, it's at the abse of the Citrus Tower in Clermont, good Mexican inexpensive and casual Ate there last night :)

Anne

pjupton
07-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Absolutely Giordano's for pizza. There is one just north of DTD on 535. The same shopping center as the Steak and Shake and the post office. Also one waaaaaay out in 192 almost to 27.

Except don't go there the week of October 1-9... it won't be any good that week...

Amyrlin
07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Where is the best seafood buffet style restaurant. I know about Boston Lobster Feast, but are there any others?

goin2disneyagain
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I forgot to add Outback Steakhouse too. :flower:

tortoni
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
The Lone Star is great, especially for lunch.

maggiew
07-29-2005, 09:17 PM
We ate at the Ale House - across the street from the Sheraton Safari by Downtown Disney area. It was pretty good and relatively inexpensive. I got the 35 shrimp (!!!) entree that comes with choice of potato and cole slaw. You could also get it scampi style over pasta. This was only $7.95! It wasn't the best shrimp I have had (coconut shrimp at Rainforest Cafe), but it was good - especially for the price. My DD got the fish and chips special (forget price but around $7). My mom didn't order anything because there was plenty between my shrimp and the fish. DD got their famous zingers - chicken strips. I thought they were going to be spicy but they were plain chicken strips.

We also ate at Macaroni Grill. It was very good Italian food. Better than someplace like Olive Garden, but not as good as a real fine Italian style restaurant.

Maggie

susan1
07-30-2005, 04:24 AM
bubbaloos bodaceous bbq is good to go to after universal. looks very ordinary outside and inside but the food is wonderfull! see the website for menu and directions :thewave:

powellrj
07-30-2005, 06:18 AM
we loved Texas de Brazil the last time we went. It was expensive, but if you sign up on the website before you leave they will send you coupons. They kids are still talking about how cool it was and what they want to try the next time we go!! We also ate at Caddyshacks which is fun if you like golf, which DH does. If you want a nice fresh but cheap buffet, you can't beat Sweet Tomatoes. These are all close to the Beltz outlet mall.

Juligan
07-30-2005, 02:05 PM
...we loved Texas de Brazil the last time we went. ...you can't beat Sweet Tomatoes. .

I've just got to second these two!

Although Sweet Tomatoes is more of a large salad bar with lots (and I do mean lots) of extras (soup, pasta, potatoes, breads, deserts) than a true buffet. You won't find any whole meat type stuff.

mitros
07-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Do you know if they have pulled pork there? We have a chain down here called Sonny's bbq, and they have a great pulled pork sandwich.

N2DSNY
07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
At Crossroads there is a Orlando Ale House. They have great wings and beer for cheap! My parents also got the shrimp dinner and they loved it. We are usually "eat on the property" type of people, but we stayed off site this time and decided to try one place to eat off site. Let's just say this will be a place we'll visit the next time we are there.

kellymonaghan
07-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Bob Mervine, a local Orlando newspaper reporter and author of "Orlando Chow," (http://www.chowbooks.com/hotchow.html) recommends The Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney and Pebbles in the Crossroads shopping center -- one of my favorites, too.

Bella the Ball 360
07-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Kelly,

I must say I have approached Pebbles at least three times and did not like the menu. Everyone says its good and I feel like I am missing something but when I get there and look around for some reason it does not appeal to me and I cannot figure out why.

We like the Samba Room on Sand Lake rd.