PDA

View Full Version : What beach is closer to Orlando area?

PixieDust32
07-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi, we will be driving from Georgia to Orlando and the kids wanted to stop to a near by beach just for a little while, so my question is if we are coming south from Atlanta where can we find a nice beach close to Disney, to stop and streach our legs and then head to Disney.

Thank you!

blondimom
07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
If you are coming down I-95, then I would suggest Flagler Beach or Daytona Beach. I always make it a point of stopping there on my trips to Disney. :sunny:

reddixie
07-25-2005, 08:57 AM
If you stop at Flagler Beach remember the sand is orange and tons of tiny shells. It isn't white like Daytona Beach. As for which is closer they are the same off the interstate. You can also continue south on I-95 and go to Cocoa Beach and then turn onto a toll road and head in West to Disney. This way you miss traffic on I-4 for the most part. HTH

gr8ful4Him
07-25-2005, 09:32 AM
so my question is if we are coming south from Atlanta where can we find a nice beach close to Disney, to stop and streach our legs and then head to Disney.

We stopped in Daytona a few weeks ago. It's about an hour? away from Orlando. My ds12 had never seen the ocean before, so it was amazing to him. Just a note, they don't let anybody drive on the beach there anymore, as they have alot less beach now after all the hurricanes last year. "nice"...well, I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Can you get out, stretch your legs and get a good view of the ocean there? yes. Were we able to find a clean restroom? :sad2:
If I had to do it again, I would probably stop at Flagler or another beach...
Just my opinion though

PixieDust32
07-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Oh i see! We like white sand beach ::yes:: so, Daytona or Cocoa, witch one will ya'll pick?
I've never been on either.

Thanks

spiceycat
07-25-2005, 09:41 AM
I would come I75 and go to the Tampa - Clearwater Beach (you want the beach not the city).

Daytona has brown sand - all of the Atlantic Coast has brown sand except for Miama.

Tampa/St peterburg has the white sand. that feels so good under your toes....

both the West coast (tampa) and the East cost (daytona) are around 90 minutes from WDW. Your time can be faster or slower beginning on the construction being done when you arrive. there will be construction either way. Florida is widden I4 again.

PixieDust32
07-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I would come I75 and go to the Tampa - Clearwater Beach (you want the beach not the city).

Daytona has brown sand - all of the Atlantic Coast has brown sand except for Miama.

Tampa/St peterburg has the white sand. that feels so good under your toes....

both the West coast (tampa) and the East cost (daytona) are around 90 minutes from WDW. Your time can be faster or slower beginning on the construction being done when you arrive. there will be construction either way. Florida is widden I4 again.

Oh OK! That makes sense also.

Yes, Miami's sand is pretty, we went there last year, so it will be the same driving distance from either side, we just don't want to go to far from our main destination. We don't care about the city,just the beach.

Thank you guys for your help and time! I'll talk to DH about it.

:cool1:

AJKMOM
07-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Cocoa Beach is less crowded than Daytona, too, but depending on when you are coming, crowds might not be an issue.

PixieDust32
07-25-2005, 04:13 PM
I'll be coming next Saturday!

Thanks

sweetheart2576
07-25-2005, 07:02 PM
When did they stop letting people drive on the beach. Say it isnt so, we were there in May and we were able to then. I love being able to drive on the beach. I found this on Daytona's website...any definitive answer as whether it is not permitted for sure?

Monday, July 24, 2005

Today's driving conditions

poor between 10 a.m. - noon

The beach is always open and free to bicyclists and pedestrians. Beach driving is permitted daily from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seaward of the clearly marked dune conservation zone.
Lifeguards towers are staffed from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. north of the inlet and from 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. south of the inlet.

Anyways.... my kids 7 and 10 love Daytona, we always stay a week there when we go to Disney. We have been to Clearwater/St. Pete/Cocoa/Flagler, and I have to say that they enjoy this area the best, as well as their dad and I.

gjw007
07-25-2005, 10:34 PM
I think Daytona Beach is roughly 60 miles while Tampa Bay is roughly 90 miles. Either way, an hour to an hour and a half drive. I don't spend much time on the beach but of the beaches I visited, I think I like those in the Tampa Bay area better. It may be because everytime I've been to the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean side, the seas were always nasty looking while staying on the barrier island on the Tampa Bay side the sea was much calmer.

gw_lit
07-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi, we will be driving from Georgia to Orlando and the kids wanted to stop to a near by beach just for a little while, so my question is if we are coming south from Atlanta where can we find a nice beach close to Disney, to stop and streach our legs and then head to Disney.

Thank you!

Stopping at the beach to "stop and stretch your legs" on the way from Atlanta to Orlando isn't really a "stop" on the way. Whether you head to the gulf beaches (Clearwater Beach as spiceycat suggested, and I concur), or to the Atlantic beaches, you'll add at least 3 hours to a 7.5 hour drive from Atlanta to Orlando.

If you want to hit Clearwater Beach, you'll need to continue south on I-75 south instead of taking the Florida Turnpike into Orlando. From this point you'd have about 60 miles to WDW if you'd take the Florida Turnpike. Its about 100 miles from the Florida Turnpike turnoff down I-75 to Clearwater Beach. Once you dip your toes in the ocean and get in the car to head back to Orlando on I-4, you've got another 100 miles. (I-4 is under construction between Tampa and Orlando, so you may run into construction delays, I've been lucky and haven't hit them, but others have!) So basically you've added 140 miles to your trip by stopping at Clearwater Beach.

If you want to hit the Atlantic beaches (Cocoa Beach is the closest), go on and take the Florida Turnpike into Orlando and then pick up Florida 528 going east. Its right about 70 miles into Cocoa Beach. Dip your toes in ocean, get in the car and head back the way you came, another 70 miles. So, basically you've added 140 miles to your trip by making a side trip to Cocoa Beach.

Whichever beach you hit its going to add pretty much the same mileage, and probably the same amount of time all things being equal. I've been to the beaches on both sides, and I definitely prefer the gulf coast beaches (Clearwater Beach). The gulf beaches have much gentler surf, clearer water and white sand. The atlantic beaches have rougher surf, dark water, and darker sand.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

PixieDust32
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
When did they stop letting people drive on the beach. Say it isnt so, we were there in May and we were able to then. I love being able to drive on the beach. I found this on Daytona's website...any definitive answer as whether it is not permitted for sure?

Monday, July 24, 2005

Today's driving conditions

poor between 10 a.m. - noon

The beach is always open and free to bicyclists and pedestrians. Beach driving is permitted daily from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seaward of the clearly marked dune conservation zone.
Lifeguards towers are staffed from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. north of the inlet and from 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. south of the inlet.

Anyways.... my kids 7 and 10 love Daytona, we always stay a week there when we go to Disney. We have been to Clearwater/St. Pete/Cocoa/Flagler, and I have to say that they enjoy this area the best, as well as their dad and I.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!
:wave2:

PixieDust32
07-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Stopping at the beach to "stop and stretch your legs" on the way from Atlanta to Orlando isn't really a "stop" on the way. Whether you head to the gulf beaches (Clearwater Beach as spiceycat suggested, and I concur), or to the Atlantic beaches, you'll add at least 3 hours to a 7.5 hour drive from Atlanta to Orlando.

If you want to hit Clearwater Beach, you'll need to continue south on I-75 south instead of taking the Florida Turnpike into Orlando. From this point you'd have about 60 miles to WDW if you'd take the Florida Turnpike. Its about 100 miles from the Florida Turnpike turnoff down I-75 to Clearwater Beach. Once you dip your toes in the ocean and get in the car to head back to Orlando on I-4, you've got another 100 miles. (I-4 is under construction between Tampa and Orlando, so you may run into construction delays, I've been lucky and haven't hit them, but others have!) So basically you've added 140 miles to your trip by stopping at Clearwater Beach.

If you want to hit the Atlantic beaches (Cocoa Beach is the closest), go on and take the Florida Turnpike into Orlando and then pick up Florida 528 going east. Its right about 70 miles into Cocoa Beach. Dip your toes in ocean, get in the car and head back the way you came, another 70 miles. So, basically you've added 140 miles to your trip by making a side trip to Cocoa Beach.

Whichever beach you hit its going to add pretty much the same mileage, and probably the same amount of time all things being equal. I've been to the beaches on both sides, and I definitely prefer the gulf coast beaches (Clearwater Beach). The gulf beaches have much gentler surf, clearer water and white sand. The atlantic beaches have rougher surf, dark water, and darker sand.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Thank you, it was just an expression! I appreciate your help!

PixieDust32
07-26-2005, 01:53 AM
I think Daytona Beach is roughly 60 miles while Tampa Bay is roughly 90 miles. Either way, an hour to an hour and a half drive. I don't spend much time on the beach but of the beaches I visited, I think I like those in the Tampa Bay area better. It may be because everytime I've been to the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean side, the seas were always nasty looking while staying on the barrier island on the Tampa Bay side the sea was much calmer.

Thank you very much! :wave2: