PDA

View Full Version : What is CLOSE to the ports on Western Cruise, in lieu of excursions?

ReneeQ
07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Husband and I will be on the Western in October for our 15th anniversary. :love2: Last cruise was the Eastern in 10/01 for 11th anniversary. We did one excursion then, in St. Thomas, and then walked FOREVER touring on our own. In St. Martin we took the shuttle boat, then walked for hours and hours on our own. We had a great time. But it was HOT.

This cruise will be different. I can't walk or get around like I used to, as I fractured my left femur in 3 places in 2003, have a rod in that leg now, and have some knee troubles. I've also had some other health issues and have become fairly intolerant to extreme heat. So, this time around we won't/can't do what we did before. Also, we're not planning to book any excursions, because we don't want to be locked into something that I don't feel up to doing when the time actually rolls around. This cruise will be all about relaxing, sleeping in, going to movies, attending the seminars, enjoying our verandah, etc.

BUT we would like to at least get off the ship at each port, to see what is nearby, and to be able to say we actually "visited" that port. I CAN get around okay, just not for HOURS, like in the past, and stairs are not my friend. I'd be good for about an hour, two at most.

To anyone who has been on the Western, and explored what is right at the port or nearby, can you give me an idea of what is available at each port?

Thanks! :flower:

lindakmonty
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
7 mile beach in not far .. we went down in submarine and you get on shore, walk 50' and there it is :)!! very cool, and hard rock is right across the street so there is plenty of shopping and taxis for excursions right there very convenient. you shouldn't have too many problems in Grand Cayman, Cozumel is a little further... but the snorkeling and such is taxi ride away, snorkeling is great, swim w/dolphins was well worth for me :) shouldn't be too bad for you.enjoy your cruise!

TheWog
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
GC there are many taxis/vendors right at the pier waiting. You can grab a cab and go to Hell or Turtle Farm, places like that. Each stop won't be very long. The main shopping area is just across the street from the tender pier and everything is pretty close together.

pdarrah
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi ReneeQ - Are you on the Oct 22nd Western? We have a nice meet thread going if you would like to join us!

We did the exact same cruise last year, except that we didn't get to Grand Cayman because of hurricane Ivan.

At Key West it really depends on the type of thing you like to do - there are some sights, shopping, bars within a reasonable walking distance. Other sights (southernmost point, the lighthouse, etc.) are a long, hot walk. However, there is a trolley tour thing (book it on your own - DCL has it as an excursion, but I believe it is a little cheaper to just buy your own tickets.) I haven't done it, but I believe that you can get on and off at the various stops so that would be a way to see several sights without too much walking. There is also a bus that you can buy an all day ticket that is cheaper than the trolley - less picturesque and touristy, but it would still get you around town. We are gardeners and there is a "secret" garden that we really wanted to see. We walked to it and found that walking around the side streats (not Duval - the main drag) in Key West was mostly shady and quite pleasant.

At the port in Cozumel, there really isn't much except for shopping. The pier that the Magic docks at is right in the middle of the downtown. However, there is a taxi stand right there and you can catch a taxi to a beach, a snorkeling excursion, the Chankanab park, etc. We took a taxi to our snorkel excursion with Eagle Ray Divers (not DCL) and I seem to remember it being about $7 total for the 3 of us each way.

It has been over 12 years since I was last at Grand Cayman, but 7-mile beach would not be an easy walk from the port. The tenders should bring us in right in the downtown, so the shopping is right there. There is also a taxi stand there where you could catch a cab to the beach, turtle farm, etc.

If you look at the website for our cruise (the link is in my signature below) I have a "Links" page which has links to lots of websites with info on the various ports.

I hope that helps a little,

pdarrah

ReneeQ
07-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Pdarrah,
THANK YOU for all the info! Yes, we are on the Oct. 22nd Western. I never even thought to look for a cruise meet. I've never been to a meet! How fun. I'm going to check out your website, also. Thanks again!

Cajun Cruiser
07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
I was researching excursions today and there is a company in Cozumel that will take you on a 4 hour island tour in air conditioned vans and they tailor the tour specifically to what you want to see. Some spots they go to are the ancient ruins, the place where taquilla is made, beaches, the oldest community in Cozumel, and others. The company is called Island Marketing. The web site is cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelIslandTours.htm Hope this helps.