PDA

View Full Version : Is there any type of phone service on the ship?

3kidmom
07-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there any type of cell service on the ship? How do people make phone calls? My DH is really hoping for GPRS or somthing like that, but I think he's out of luck. After planning for almost two years, we are less than a month out from our dream trip! Thanks for any info :wave:

rotary2808
07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
The only time you get any type of cell service is when you're near land and that is still iffy.

There are phones in each stateroom, but phone calls are like $6.25 a minute. You don't make very many calls on a cruise.

SCOUTER-DAD
07-19-2005, 10:34 PM
The phone service is $7 per minute to use the ship phone in your room. I am with tmobile and and turned on my international roaming service. This was about $1.50 per minute in addition to normal rates. All it required me to do is power my phone off an on when I got to port. I never received a signal while at sea. Need to make sure your phone can operate at the international frequency - 1900 I think. Another option with my tmobile was to purchase a prepaid international sim card. Hope this helps.

tvguy
07-19-2005, 10:36 PM
There is a phone in your cabin with voicemail, satellite phone service. It's expensive, about $8 a minute.
The ship does not support cell service, but if you are in port (or very close to shore), and your provider has an agreement with the local provider, you should have service. Cost depends on your provider and your calling plan.
In 6 cruises we've only used the phone once, and that was just for fun.
There is also internet service at various places for a per minute, or flat rate fee. That too is expensive.

3kidmom
07-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think what he was really hoping was that he could bypass the internet cafe by using the internet through the GPRS on his phone. I swear. Boys and their toys! HAHA. Ok. We are with Cingular and I will do some checking.

CM_Mom
07-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Cingular has service in Port Canaveral, Key West, and St. Thomas. If you a hve a tri band phone, you can also get Cingular service in Mexico. If you're on an Eastern, then you can sometimes get service going south when you pass St. Thomas on the way to St. Maarten. My Cingular Nation plan charges minutes in St. Thomas the same as my minutes in the US. DD called once from St. Maarten and I never saw the charge so either we weren't billed or it was part of our regular mintues.

LiserAnn
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
We have Sprint and I called to add Mexico roaming. It's $3/month (can be cancelled at anytime) and .70 cents airtime per minute. Normally we wouldn't bother with it, but DH works for Hewlett Packard and well, they just announced they're going to lay off about 14,500 people so he thought he better have access to the phone in Mexico....a LOT can happen in 8 days. :flower:

tvguy
07-20-2005, 02:22 PM
We have Sprint and I called to add Mexico roaming. It's $3/month (can be cancelled at anytime) and .70 cents airtime per minute. Normally we wouldn't bother with it, but DH works for Hewlett Packard and well, they just announced they're going to lay off about 14,500 people so he thought he better have access to the phone in Mexico....a LOT can happen in 8 days. :flower:

I have a friend who has been "laid off" by H-P 6 times. His entire division has been let go 6 times (55 people in Colorado Springs). About a week later they are mysteriously transfered to a "new" company that is "subcontracting" with H-P to take over their old duties. Pay stays the same, benefits stay the same, seniority is honored, only thing the changes is the name on the paycheck.
He thinks it's a sham by H-P to make stockholders think they are cutting costs when all they are doing is shuffling people around on paper.

LiserAnn
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a friend who has been "laid off" by H-P 6 times. His entire division has been let go 6 times (55 people in Colorado Springs). About a week later they are mysteriously transfered to a "new" company that is "subcontracting" with H-P to take over their old duties. Pay stays the same, benefits stay the same, seniority is honored, only thing the changes is the name on the paycheck.
He thinks it's a sham by H-P to make stockholders think they are cutting costs when all they are doing is shuffling people around on paper.

DH has been laid off twice at HP but always found something better within the company so it's worked out to his benefit. This situation is pretty serious although he's in sales and it appears he's OK...for now. The whole thing is a shame, such is life in the tech industry.