PDA

View Full Version : What is a repo cruise?

dalcn
07-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Been seeing reference to this. What is it?

Thanks!

lindakmonty
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
repositioning :)

dalcn
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks! Is this cheaper or something?

lindakmonty
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
actually I think they're more expensive... when the reposition and change in itinerary...ports ,etc... fun I'm sure!

mommasita
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
No, actually the opposite...14 days through the Panama Canal..Just a first for DCL..

jrabbit
07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
What a repositioning cruise is where a cruise line moves a ship from one home port to another port on a temporary or "permanent" basis.

The two week DCL cruises in May and August of this year are repo cruises. Not all cruises through the panama canal are repo cruises (maybe they are but they don't have to be - if a ship's regular schedule is to traverse the canal then it's not a repo).

Here on the DIS, the repo cruises mean that DCL moved the Magic from it's home port in Florida to a temporary home port in Los Angeles. Other lines move ships from Seattle / Victoria / Vancouver at the end of summer back south to LA / San Diego (Alaska cruises in the summer, Mexican cruises in the winter). Some lines move ships between the caribbean and the mediterranean).

Generally speaking, repo cruises are less expensive and have fewer passengers than normal iteneraries. This is not the case with the August repo - looks like we will be filled to capacity: adults, children and crew and it was more expensive than a normal 7 night cruise::yes:: (but I don't think that it was twice as expensive as our last Western cruise last summer). It's going to be a blast.