PDA

View Full Version : Disney area swimming pool health code violations

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to let all of you know who are staying off site that the Orlando Sentinel ran an article this Sunday naming about 450 pools in hotels and residence subdivisions near Disney and Universal that had violations of health codes. Of course, Disney property pools are some of the best maintained. I know how much kiddies like to play in the pool on the non-park days so, here's a head's up to keep everyone safe.
I can't post URL's yet (I don't have enough posts) but go to orlando sentinel dot com, slash news, slash local, slash orange (I hope this makes sense)
and click on the article titled "looking clean not enough"
also, below that is another article about inspectors finding pool violations around town.
I looked for the link for the 450 hotels but, I was unable to find it so, unless someone else does, I have the Sunday paper right here so feel free to ask about your hotel if you are concerned and I'll let you know if it's listed.
Happy swimming everyone!

spiceycat
07-19-2005, 08:46 AM
these are timeshares not hotels

Orange Lake
Celebration World Resort
Sheraton Vistana Resort

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Let's see here.......
The first two you mentioned are not listed as having any violations.
However, the Sheraton Vistana is.

It is listed as having violations this year as well as 3 violations the previous year. The Vistana has a notation beside it that indicates the violations are in two or more pools, spas or water features.

Also, I know some folks stay at the Sheraton Safari hotel. The wading pool only is listed as having violations as well as 1 the previous year.

spiceycat
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
forgot some more timeshares please

Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Cypress Harbour
Marriott's Sabal Palms
Marriott's Imperial Palms
Marriott's Royal Palms

this is a big hotel
Marriott World Center

thanks for much for doing this!!!!

none of Disney's hotels or timeshares are listed correct?

Taratink
07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
What kind of violations did the Vistana have?
Tara

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm happy to help! *I apologize for not stating what the violations were in my previous post. I'll start that now.*

Okay,
The Marriott Grande Vista does have violations but only in the west village. They also had violations in two or more pools, spas or water features.
The violations are chlorine and Ph. Michael Beach of the CDC said in the article that pool chemistry should be checked multiple times a day- if the weather changes or multiple people enter the pool. Wet n wild (a water park) checks it's ph and chemistry every hour and requires children not potty trained to wear swimming diapers. I wonder if the Grande Vista requires the same thing?

Marriott Cypress Harbor also had chlorine and ph violations. They had 8 previous violations.

Marriott sable and royal palms are also listed as having chlorine violations. Between the two of them, they had 8 previous violations.

The World Center also had violations of chlorine with 5 previous violations.

The only Disney hotel that did have violations was the Yacht club quiet pool for chlorine. They had one previous violation.

The Vistana had both chlorine and ph violations with 3 previous violaions.
From the article:
"low chlorine levels place swimmers at risk for contracting diseases that can quickly spread in a pool such as giardiasis, shigellosis and conjunctivitis."

L107ANGEL
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Can you check on Orbit One Vacation Villas and Oak Plantation for me please?

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Rest assured, L107Angel, Orbit one vacation villas and Oak plantation are not on the list! Yay!

I'm running out for the day- I'll definately check back in later to look up some more hotels/timeshares for ya'll.
I'm happy to help in anyway I can.

I'm reading more of the article now-- Oh! so that's what ph does! helps the chlorine to kill germs! You'd think living in FL I would know that...... :rolleyes:

L107ANGEL
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Thank you! :flower:

siobhan1997
07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Hi was Orange Lake on that list? Also please check on the Celebrity Resorts i.e. Orlando , Lake Buena Vista

Thanks so much for this great information

chris7
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
When you get back check also for cypress pointe. Thanks

gigi1313
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
here's the link... http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-ocorangepool17071705jul17,0,5827126.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

SeattleMark
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's the Link for everyone to see for themselves: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-ocorangepool17071705jul17,0,5827126.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

spiceycat
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
okay you post the links - now post the links to 450 hotels that GrandFLoridanGirl is nicely giving everyone please!

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting that link, guys. I didn't have enough initial posts to give it to you. :flower:

Just in case anyone hasn't tried the link:
-Orange Lake was not on the list nor were any of the Celebrity resorts.
-Cypress Pointe has 2 locations listed in the article. Cypress Point had 2 violations, Chlorine and Ph as well as 7 violations last year.
-Cypress Pointe Resort in Lake Buena Vista had chlorine and ph violations with 3 violations last year.

Can you guys see the list of hotels when you click on the link?
I don't want to double the info if you can access it too. Should I keep going?

TSWJan78
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-ocorangepool17071705jul17,0,5827126.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

Here is the link to the article for anyone intrested!!!

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks ya'll for posting the link for me. When I click on it, I can't for the life of me find the list of 450 hotels. Oh well, I hope you guys can see it, if not, keep asking away------I don't mind at all looking them up for you. :sunny:

susieeQ
07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
how about Summmer Bay? and thanks for looking!!

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Looking for Summer Bay......
Nope- you're in the clear!

(I just found the golf course apartment community I live in had some violations. :sad2: )
For the love of Pete!

spiceycat
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I found a note to the side saying to get the 450 hotels you need to buy the paper.

So I guess we will have to kept relying on you GrandFlordianGirl - you are definitely a sweetie!!! :goodvibes

Yes I can see how it would be upsetting to find the place you are living in to be on this list!!!

;)

bengalbelle
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Would you mind checking the Courtyard by Marriott at the Marriott Village (8623 Vineland Avenue, Orlando) and Residence Inn Seaworld (11000 Westwood Boulevard, Orlando).

Thanks!

GrandFloridianGirl
07-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey there!
Yes, the Marriott Courtyard is mentioned as having 28 violations but this is the one hotel in the entire article that does not list a specific address. I say just be cautious.

Also, the Renaissance Orlando Resort off Sea Harbor Dr. also had chlorine violations in the wading pool. They had 0 previous offenses, though.

Also, I know some folks stay at Buena Vista Suites and the Caribe Royale. Both are listed as having chlorine and ph violations.
Bengabelle- thanks for the addresses. It made it easier to find the exavt hotels you're looking for!

figgy4me
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
How about CLUB SEVILLA ???

onlyoneforme
07-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi GrandFloridianGirl,
Would the Regal Palms on Rt 27 in North Davenport be listed on that list? THANKS for checking!
:wave2:

GrandFloridianGirl
07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Good Morning!
Figgy4me, Club Sevilla is not on the list!

and let's see...Regal Palms isn't there either, onlyoneforme!

Here's one I know I've seen a lot of folks talk about: Both Westgate Lakes and Westgate Palace had violations of chlorine and ph. Westgate Lakes had 24 previous violations! :earseek: These are located off Turkey Lake Rd.

Just scanning here for hotels I've seen my dis buddies mention...
The Royal Pacific Resort in Universal had chlorine violations as well as 13 last year. The violations this year include 2 or more pools.

Also, the Portofino Bay in Universal had chlorine violations with 15 previous violations. These were in 2 or more pools.

MImom
07-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi. Could you check the Hard Rock Hotel and HIFS (the Nick Hotel)?
Thanks much, you are a gem.

Bella the Ball 360
07-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Just called the Vistana and asked about the article. In typical Orlando "style" a barely literate hospitality person told me she "didn't know nuthin' " about this. I told her she should make her manager aware and that I had gotten the information from a board with almost 100K (so I lied a little) subscribers. I asked if the untrained babies wore swim pants in the pool and she said yes. She told me she would pass it on to her manager. Now it is time for me to call Sheraton Corporate. In my eyes this is unacceptable. Those diseases listed in the article are nasty. My dh has diabetes and he does not do well if his system is upset with vomiting etc. Conjunctivitis is the most attractive of the three.

Bella the Ball 360
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
GFG,
I have a question totally off topic, you keep posting and yet your post total stays at 9. I do not get it!! I asked this question on the 1000 post thread but did not get an answer.

GrandFloridianGirl
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey all-
I do not see the Nick hotel on the list although it lists "many orlando locations" of Holiday Inn hotels that had both chlorine and ph violations in more than one pool on property.

Bella,
Good for you for calling the Vistana. I agree with you that it is unacceptable to keep pools in violation condition. I'll be interested to hear what corporate has to say. It's a good sign that the babies have to wear swim diapers. The article makes a good point, that there is no way to know if people who get sick on vacation are actually getting sick from using the pool. My husband and I don't have babies (YET) (note the yet ;) ) and I just wanted the info to be available to all the parents out there, because I sure would like to know for my little ones.

:confused3 For the love of Pete, I don't know why I only have 9 posts. Thanks for looking out for me, though. :hug:

GrandFloridianGirl
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
As an interesting aside, the brand new JW Marriott Grande Lakes also has chlorine violations.
Also, the neighborhood where Tiger Woods lives (has a home) also has ph violations. Good thing his thing is golf and not swimming.......

spiceycat
07-20-2005, 12:21 PM
as far as your post number not changing - I think it was because you were posting to your post.

you have to post to someone else post for your number to change. Or you can start one.

I forgot one

Westgate Vacation Villas
2770 Old Lake Wilson Road
Kissimmee, FL 34747

I will remember to include the address in any more.

Oh I own this week or I certainly won't stay at Westgate.

GrandFloridianGirl
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Spiceycat,
The only Westgate listed is the timeshares off Turkey Lake Rd so, your Westgate Villas are in the clear.

Thanks for the info about my posts. It all makes sense to me now! :sunny:

timeos2
07-20-2005, 04:05 PM
-Cypress Pointe has 2 locations listed in the article. Cypress Point had 2 violations, Chlorine and Ph as well as 7 violations last year.
-Cypress Pointe Resort in Lake Buena Vista had chlorine and ph violations with 3 violations last year.

JFYI -

For Cypress Pointe Resort (the chlorine & 3 others) that was the kiddie pool NOT the signature Volcano pool. Corrective steps have already been made.

I don't have any details on the Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (2 & 7 above).

John Chase

GrandFloridianGirl
07-20-2005, 05:11 PM
JFYI -

For Cypress Pointe Resort (the chlorine & 3 others) that was the kiddie pool NOT the signature Volcano pool. Corrective steps have already been made.

I don't have any details on the Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (2 & 7 above).

John Chase
Thanks for the details, John!
I'm glad corrective steps have been made.
It's good you have some info to share!

figgy4me
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all the help !!!!!!!!!!!

MiaSRN62
07-21-2005, 12:24 AM
This lists the individual resorts :
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-special-poollist071705,0,1248875.htmlstory?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

NHLFAN
07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Spiceycat,
The only Westgate listed is the timeshares off Turkey Lake Rd so, your Westgate Villas are in the clear.

Thanks for the info about my posts. It all makes sense to me now! :sunny:

Westgate Vacation Villas is listed in OSCEOLA COUNTY on the list....

OSCEOLA COUNTY

Westgate Towne Center -- pool and spa

2770 Old Lake Wilson Road, Kissimmee

Westgate Vacation Villas

Lisa P.
07-21-2005, 01:44 AM
MImom, the Hard Rock Hotel is indeed listed. FWIW, all 3 Universal hotels are listed. The list says:

"Hard Rock Hotel, 5800 Universal Blvd., Orlando
chlorine, 1 previous violation"

"Portofino Bay Hotel Bay*, 5601 Universal Blvd., Orlando
chlorine, 15 previous violations" ("Bay" may be the specific pool location - ???)

"Royal Pacific Resort*, 6312 Hollywood Way, Orlando
chlorine, 13 previous violations"

The * after a hotel name in this July 17, 2006 article indicates that a pool "has been closed since July 16, 2004 inspection" but I suspect that either the 2004 is a typo or they are saying that the pool was closed at least once briefly during this time.

Figgy4me, there's a listing that says:
"Club Sevilla -- spa
4646 W. U.S. Highway 192, Kissimmee"

(No more details are given for Osceola County's locations.)

Spiceycat and Siobhan1997, Orange Lake is not listed.

Spiceycat, these are the other listings included:

"Celebration World Resort -- wading pool
7503 Atlantis Way, Kissimmee"

"Vistana Resort*, 13800 Vistana Court Drive, Orlando
chlorine, 4 previous violations"

FWIW, there's also:
"Sheraton Vistana Villages*, 7000 Vistana Resort Terrace, Orlando
chlorine, pH, 3 previous violations"

For Westgate, here they are:

"Westgate Lakes*, 10000 Turkey Lake Road, Orlando
chlorine, pH, 24 previous violations"

"Westgate Palace*, 6137 Carrier Drive, Orlando
chlorine, pH, 6 previous violations"

"Westgate Towers North -- spa and wading pool
7600 W. U.S. Highway 192, Kissimmee"

"Westgate Towne Center -- pool and spa
2770 Old Lake Wilson Road, Kissimmee"

"Westgate Vacation Villas
2770 Old Lake Wilson Road, Kissimmee"

Siobhan1997, there's a listing that says:
"Celebrity Resorts Lucky Duck Café (location of a specific pool?)
2794 N. Poinciana Blvd., Kissimmee"
(No more details are given for Osceola County's locations.) HTH.

Honestly, there are hundreds of pools listed and nearly every major hotel chain is represented on this list! It even includes Disney's Yacht Club (quiet pool), the Peabody, JW Marriott Grand Lakes, Celebration Hotel and Wyndham Palace. I guess I'd be most concerned about many repeat violations or if the tests revealed chlorine present was "none" - blech! :eek: :scared: :crazy2: Seminole & Volusia Counties identify some of these clearly. The other counties don't say what kind of chlorine violation existed (high/low/none).

The article suggested that you should not swim if the pool water doesn't appear clear (hmmm - shocker, eh?). I may consider asking management about it as well, if a place has had several violations. With the many times we've swam in public pools and the few known illnesses contracted (none?), I'm just glad our immune systems work so well! :) :rolleyes: :teeth:

GrandFloridianGirl
07-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Westgate Vacation Villas is listed in OSCEOLA COUNTY on the list....

OSCEOLA COUNTY

Westgate Towne Center -- pool and spa

Westgate Vacation Villas

Thanks for including these, I don't see them in the list. I could not find any westgate properties on Old Lake Wilson.

GrandFloridianGirl
07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
This lists the individual resorts :
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-special-poollist071705,0,1248875.htmlstory?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange
There's the list! I'm so glad you found it!
Thanks for posting it.

Bella the Ball 360
07-21-2005, 08:56 AM
MiaSRN62,
I know you are a nurse what can you tell us about giardiasis, and shigellosis ?
My gf's daughter had giardiasis (I think cannot remember which one) and she has been sick with it off and on for quite a while. She got it from swimming in a lake.

I know when we were at V V last year they make us get out of the pool because some little kid had an accident in the pool. At that time the waterfall shut down and I do not know if it was on some sort of a sensor or what.

I have always been leary of swimming in pools and JUST got myself to do it a couple of years ago.

I wish there was some way they could enforce keeping kids in diapers out of the pool. Usually when I would see a baby come into the pool I would make my kids get out.

MiaSRN62
07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Giardiasis is a parasitic illness. The parasite lives in the intestines and can be passed via stool (thus most likely little kids having accidents in the pool). We in turn contract it by getting water into our mouths----ingested. Causes abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, diarrhea and sometimes weight loss. Normally you'll show signs if you've become infected 1-2 weeks after the exposure. These symptoms can last 2-6 weeks ! It can be difficult to diagnose.....requiring stool samples and it can be treated. Pools, spas, lakes etc are prime places to pick it up. The parasite has a protective coating so it can live outside the body for periods of time.
Shigellosis is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tract. Again, spread by someone who has it via food or water. Symptoms can include fever, diarrhea or blood in stool. Anitibiotics can be used to help cure severe cases, but usually extra fluids suffice. A friend of mine at work got shigellosis from eating contaminated food in our hospital cafeteria ! So the food worker obviously had it, didn't wash their hands before handling the food and my poor friend, Jan, got it bad. She was actually hospitalized for 3 or 4 days with IV fluids and antibiotics. Took her another almost 2 weeks to get back to normal. She's never eaten in the cafeteria again.
I hope all these resorts really shock their pools with chlorine since this report came out. I agree about keeping babies out of the pool.....or at least have them wear rubber pants.

Bella the Ball 360
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Giardiasis is a parasitic illness. The parasite lives in the intestines and can be passed via stool (thus most likely little kids having accidents in the pool). We in turn contract it by getting water into our mouths----ingested. Causes abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, diarrhea and sometimes weight loss. Normally you'll show signs if you've become infected 1-2 weeks after the exposure. These symptoms can last 2-6 weeks ! It can be difficult to diagnose.....requiring stool samples and it can be treated. Pools, spas, lakes etc are prime places to pick it up. The parasite has a protective coating so it can live outside the body for periods of time.
Shigellosis is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tract. Again, spread by someone who has it via food or water. Symptoms can include fever, diarrhea or blood in stool. Anitibiotics can be used to help cure severe cases, but usually extra fluids suffice. A friend of mine at work got shigellosis from eating contaminated food in our hospital cafeteria ! So the food worker obviously had it, didn't wash their hands before handling the food and my poor friend, Jan, got it bad. She was actually hospitalized for 3 or 4 days with IV fluids and antibiotics. Took her another almost 2 weeks to get back to normal. She's never eaten in the cafeteria again.
I hope all these resorts really shock their pools with chlorine since this report came out. I agree about keeping babies out of the pool.....or at least have them wear rubber pants.

Thanks so much giardiasis is what my gf's daughter had. I knew it was a parasite. She suffered as you say for quite a long time with it and currently gets reoccurances of it. It was as you say very hard to diagnose. I always naively assumed that there was so much chlorine in these pools that it could never happen. After seeing what this girl went through I really have second thoughts about swimming in the pool. Can you get it in the ocean too?

MiaSRN62
07-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Can you get it in the ocean too?
I would figure, yes, Bella. I know NJ beaches in my area have been closed for high colony counts of E-Coli (from fecal matter). So I'd assume since giardiasis and shigellosis come from essentially the same "source", it's very possible. But normally officials will close the the beaches (or at least the ability to swim) if the levels are too high.

MImom
07-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it.