PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those on May Repo

dletz
07-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I've heard you could buy post cards on canal day.
My understanding is they had stamps on them already, is this true?

Was there only one design?

How much were they, and if they did not include stamps, how much were the stamps?

My understanding is that you must have cash for this?

Also they had a naration on Canal day, could you hear this in your room, or only the public areas. I'm wondering if we are on our verandah if we will be able to hear it. Did they do this in the kids clubs areas. I plan on having my daughter watch going through at least one of the locks, but I'm not sure how interested she'll be in watching all of them. She was very interested in watching the canal animations I found on the web, and has watched it many times. She tells everyone she sees about her upcoming trip through the canal and how the ship will go up up up, then we'll cruise through a river and lake and then go down down down. I'm assuming she'll be able to go to the kids clubs (or were they not open?)

I know I had more questions, but I can't remember any more.

Donna

EpcotKilterFan
07-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I've heard you could buy post cards on canal day.
My understanding is they had stamps on them already, is this true?

Was there only one design?

How much were they, and if they did not include stamps, how much were the stamps?

My understanding is that you must have cash for this?

Also they had a naration on Canal day, could you hear this in your room, or only the public areas. I'm wondering if we are on our verandah if we will be able to hear it. Did they do this in the kids clubs areas. I plan on having my daughter watch going through at least one of the locks, but I'm not sure how interested she'll be in watching all of them. She was very interested in watching the canal animations I found on the web, and has watched it many times. She tells everyone she sees about her upcoming trip through the canal and how the ship will go up up up, then we'll cruise through a river and lake and then go down down down. I'm assuming she'll be able to go to the kids clubs (or were they not open?)

I know I had more questions, but I can't remember any more.

Donna

I believe there were 6 different post cards and 4 different stamps. You must pay cash and it was $1 for the stamp and card. They are not attached to each other. If you wanted them mailed from Panama they had to be in the box by 2 or so.

Yes there was a narrator. You could only hear it in the public areas and not in your room. You could not hear it in Palo either... and that is OK, but we missed a little bit while at brunch. It is very interesting. Also, a few days before the canal, there was a presentation about the canal and was also very informative. They had to replay it because so many folks were shut out. (They also did it in the Buena Vista theater... they changed that later)

I am sure the kids clubs were open. No kids here, so not sure.

Have a wonderful time and remember to wear your sunscreen!!!! It is very easy to get burned :blush: :blush:

Here are my canal pictures if you are interested Canal album (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2124587783)

Debbie

cotomom
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Kids clubs were open. I don't think there was overhead narration in them though.

When I went to pick up my DS (6), his group was standing outside on deck, taking pictures with Alice in Wonderland with the Canal in the background. Pretty cute idea but of course my DS refused. :confused3

jrabbit
07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Kids clubs were open. I don't think there was overhead narration in them though.

When I went to pick up my DS (6), his group was standing outside on deck, taking pictures with Alice in Wonderland with the Canal in the background. Pretty cute idea but of course my DS refused. :confused3Ah, youth is wasted on the youth. You know I would be right in there standing with my arm around Alice... aaaahhhh :cloud9: :love: :cloud9: with a big 'ole cheesy :teeth: on my face!!

dletz
07-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I had been asked about the canal animation I showed my daugher. For anyone else interested here's the info on it.

Here's the link
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/general/howitworks/index.html

if you click on Transit another window comes up and shows an animation of a ship going through the canal. It shows reverse order of the way the august cruise is going (shows the way the magic came in May), but I explained to my daughter we would be coming from the oposite direction.

If you click on operation (either from the main page or the popup window) it shows an animation of how the set of locks work.

LisaF's Husband captured a lot of screen shots and made a movie of them, here is a link to their page
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_pics/

If you look at Hey, that's not the magic, it shows a great shot of a boat going through the locks. Much easier to see the actual motion than it is in the magic ones.

clten
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Also they had a naration on Canal day, could you hear this in your room, or only the public areas. I'm wondering if we are on our verandah if we will be able to hear it.

We went to our cabin for the last of the Locks. (If you are on the lower decks, it's interesting to watch at least one of the locks from there.) The narration does not play over the speakers in your cabin. One of the tv channels (I think it is the one that usually shows the view from the front of the ship) was also broadcasting the narration.

jiminyC_fan
07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
We went to our cabin for the last of the Locks. (If you are on the lower decks, it's interesting to watch at least one of the locks from there.) The narration does not play over the speakers in your cabin. One of the tv channels (I think it is the one that usually shows the view from the front of the ship) was also broadcasting the narration.
Great info, thanks!

When did they start selling the postcards and stamps? They were at guest services, right?

webray
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
There were 4 different postcards $1 each including stamp. They do not announce they are doing this..so on Panama Canal day..just head to guest services and ask. We only found out by accident and just made the 3pm cut off. Yes, you must have cash for this.

The narration, along with the entire crossing is on your stateroom tv. We loved watching everything from our balcony.

Enjoy your cruise..the food was especially delicious!

jiminyC_fan
07-19-2005, 06:14 PM
There were 4 different postcards $1 each including stamp. They do not announce they are doing this..so on Panama Canal day..just head to guest services and ask. We only found out by accident and just made the 3pm cut off. Yes, you must have cash for this.

The narration, along with the entire crossing is on your stateroom tv. We loved watching everything from our balcony.

Enjoy your cruise..the food was especially delicious!
Thanks for answering all my questions!