PDA

View Full Version : PASSPORT required after 12/31/05

stingmom
07-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Gosh darn it!! We FINALLY decided to take the plunge and go on our FIRST cruise ever (DCL, of course!) and when I called to book for January 2006, I was informed that we would all be required to have PASSPORTS to re-enter the US after 12/31/05! Ok, so now, not only do we have to pay for the cruise, plus $500 in tips for our family of 5, now we would have to buy passports too! ($97 adults and $82 for kids!!) It's called "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." I am SO bummed right now!!! DH called and asked if I had booked it yet and I had to tell him the crummy news. Crummy!!! Passports were not that expensive last time I checked. I just LOVE how the government nickles and dimes us. We decided a Janaury cruise would be best due to the lower cost and we could finally get a "taste of heaven" on our budget. Guess we'll have to stick with WDW for longer now!

Thanks for letting me vent!!

DrCavin
07-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Spending $500 for passports is just the beginning when spending $6K+ on a DCL vacation... It is going to be very interesting to see how many people "just found out" about this & are leaving in X weeks.....

lbgraves
07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Is there any way at all that you can squeeze in a December cruise before the new requirements? Actually, they aren't officially in place but I don't see them not enforcing the recommendations.

goofymama
07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Yes, this is all true and very frustrating when you are trying to travel on a budget. We are going next January because the rates are good and just got our passports in the mail this weekend. But here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- the passports are good for 10 years for adults (5 years for minors under the age of 16, I think). So if you have any potential for traveling outside of the US at any time in the next 10 years, you would need them anyways.

- have you checked with several different travel agencies to see if there are any group bookings available? We saved about $700 by booking under a group booking with The Mouse For Less for our January cruise which more than offset the cost of the passports. Dreams Unlimited had the same group rate offering for our January cruise.

Good luck, I hope you can work it out so you can cruise!

spellhex
07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
My family did that too, for our cruise this friday. They said the passports weren't required, but it'd be easier. My dad already had one from traveling for business, but my mom and brothers and I had to get them, and then she had to expidate (sp?) them because she found out about it 5 weeks before the trip. So that cost even more money. So its better getting your passports early than having to pay extra to get them there on time!

I thought that we didn't need passports for Mexico. My family, when vacationing in San Diego, goes to Tijuana to shop and we never needed passports.

stingmom
07-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I thought that we didn't need passports for Mexico. My family, when vacationing in San Diego, goes to Tijuana to shop and we never needed passports.

yep, Mexico and Canada will be included:

Proposed Timeline for Implementation for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Requirements

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
December 31, 2006 Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
December 31, 2007 Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

stingmom
07-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes, this is all true and very frustrating when you are trying to travel on a budget. We are going next January because the rates are good and just got our passports in the mail this weekend. But here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- have you checked with several different travel agencies to see if there are any group bookings available? We saved about $700 by booking under a group booking with The Mouse For Less for our January cruise which more than offset the cost of the passports. Dreams Unlimited had the same group rate offering for our January cruise.

Good luck, I hope you can work it out so you can cruise!

Thanks goofymama! I'll have to check into that! We could cruise our family of 5 for $3000 (incl. tips), which is FAR less than the summer rates! (About HALF!) It's hard to squeeze Disney and Budget into the same sentence! We had it done, but another $500, plus getting to the port, etc. Oy!!

Disney with Triplets
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
What a disappointment on the heels of what I hope was a great trip to WDW. I truly feel for those that the one-time cost for passports truly makes the trip out of reach financially.

We are traveling in 2005 with a large party and are getting passports for all of the children - the adults already have them for various reasons. I cannot imagine leaving the borders of the USA without them. I want no questions whatsoever in the very unlikely event that I am at the mercy of an embassy abroad...

Cost of passport photo $15
Cost of Passport $82 (for kids0
Having a blue cover on a passport at a foreign embassy during a crisis: PRICELESS

Jillpie
07-18-2005, 06:00 PM
yep, Mexico and Canada will be included:

Proposed Timeline for Implementation for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Requirements

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
December 31, 2006 Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
December 31, 2007 Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

According to this, the Mexico requirement isn't until Dec. 31, 2006. Isn't the OP going in Jan. 2006? I'm still very confused over whether we need them for our June trip as well on the Western. I'm still going to wait and see. We're a family of five too, very expensive.

stingmom
07-18-2005, 06:07 PM
According to this, the Mexico requirement isn't until Dec. 31, 2006. Isn't the OP going in Jan. 2006? I'm still very confused over whether we need them for our June trip as well on the Western. I'm still going to wait and see. We're a family of five too, very expensive.

the info I posted is direct from the govt. passport site:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

DrCavin
07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm still very confused over whether we need them for our June trip as well on the Western. I'm still going to wait and see. We're a family of five too, very expensive.

You are going to need them to re-enter the USA after 12/31/05 if you are coming from Caribbean, Bermuda, Central or South America. Are you thinking that since your going to Mexico on the Western you wont need them until 12/31/06?? DCL gets caught in the "Caribbean" for all its cruises out of PC.

Start saving, since you have awhile until your cruise.... :goodvibes

Papa & Mamaw
07-18-2005, 07:53 PM
It takes 6-8 weeks to get a passport, sometimes they are able to process them faster. I do have a passport and have had it for years.

When reading the information on the US Department of State website - it states that the 'proposed timeline is as follows'. This is not firm or required at this point. So, those of you traveling in 2006 and don't want to spend the extra money, I would not cancel your cruise vacation yet. I would wait until this proposed timeline is stated that it is required or confirmed. I am sure there will be an update or more info posted in the near future.

If traveling at the first of the year, you would need to apply by about the beginning of November. I would give it until then as this 'proposed' timeline is not set in stone yet.

When will the new travel initiative requirement be implemented?

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline is as follows:

musicgirl
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm on the same cruise as Jillpie. If and when this goes into effect, even those on the western will have to have them because CC is considered to be in the Cari/Nassau area.

I'm a wait a see person, but.....

When the heck are they going to make a decision??????????? The first PROPOSED date for passports is coming close. It is 5 1/2 months away. They really need to get off of their seats and make a decision either way.

It's not like they are trying to decide a minor, trivial idea. They will need to get the word out. Not everyone is on the dis boards or has a TA.

tvguy
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Make sure BEFORE you book a cruise that it is within your budget. Your cruise fare does not include port charges, tips, souveniers, excursions, alcoholic beverages, massages, passports, food for the trip to and from the ship.
Have a RESERVE in either cash, travelers checks or available credit on your credit card. Make sure you come home with some of that reserve.
What are you doing to do if your flight home is delayed by weather? Even if you have travel insurance, YOU will have to pay the difference out of pocket, your insurance will reimburse you later. Right now I show a 1 way last minute ticket from Orlando to Chicago, a heavily discounted route, costs $312 per person. That's an outlay of over $1200, plus you face the possibility of hotel bills and additional meals, that can add hundreds to the total. If you live further away, your cost will be even higher. Orlando to San Francisco is $650 per person one way at the last minute.
As for passports, IF the cost of passports, 6 months ahead of your trip is creating a financial crisis, maybe you need to reexamine your plans.
Passports may be a hassle, but by taking the trip, you face the possibility of even greater expenses without warning.

As for my kids, who are 14 and 18, they have had passports since age 2. I have family in Canada, so we go there every few years. We had a huge hassle with Canadian immigration in Calgary back in 1989 when we took my son for the first time. We only took his birth certificate. They told us if he had a passport, we would not have had the problem. It is just sooo much easier, even on domestic trips with a passports. And with school age children, you will be facing the prospect of overseas trips through school, usually at bargain prices. (my son went to spain and france last year for 2 week, air fare, hotel and food, $1700). Already having the passport means you children are set if that opporuntity comes up.

Jillpie
07-18-2005, 08:34 PM
In my instance, it is not an affordability issue. We can afford passports for my family of five. It is a mere principal issue. If we don't have to put the money out for all these passports, I'd rather not do so. I respectfully argue with the folks that are saying it is so much easier to have one, when birth certificates are just as easy. I have no problem keeping BC's safe and just as accessible as a passport.

So I am with Musicgirl on this one. I too will wait for the official word (anxiously waiting!).

TootyJane
07-18-2005, 08:44 PM
In my instance, it is not an affordability issue. We can afford passports for my family of five. It is a mere principal issue. If we don't have to put the money out for all these passports, I'd rather not do so. I respectfully argue with the folks that are saying it is so much easier to have one, when birth certificates are just as easy. I have no problem keeping BC's safe and just as accessible as a passport.

So I am with Musicgirl on this one. I too will wait for the official word (anxiously waiting!).

I agree. We are also a family of 5. However, dh and I decided to go ahead and get passports. Yes, BC's can be kept just as safe as a passport and as accessible as you make them. The decision to go ahead and get them was (1) to get them before the fee increase; and (2) my Mom travels out of the country (usually alone and on a tour group) and if something were to happen to her I, or my dh, wouldn't have to go through the redtape (obtaining an emergency Visa, etc.). As it turned out last year she surprised me by taking me on a cruise through the Panama Canal. We boarded the ship in Costa Rica and I needed that passport. So, you never know when a passport will be needed. :)

Rence
07-18-2005, 09:03 PM
It takes 6-8 weeks to get a passport, sometimes they are able to process them faster. I do have a passport and have had it for years.

When reading the information on the US Department of State website - it states that the 'proposed timeline is as follows'. This is not firm or required at this point. So, those of you traveling in 2006 and don't want to spend the extra money, I would not cancel your cruise vacation yet. I would wait until this proposed timeline is stated that it is required or confirmed. I am sure there will be an update or more info posted in the near future.

If traveling at the first of the year, you would need to apply by about the beginning of November. I would give it until then as this 'proposed' timeline is not set in stone yet.

It is my understanding that Proposed means that the regulations are subject to change prior to implementation. If nothing is done between now and 12/31/05 that they will go into effect. So it is more likely than not that this will go into effect. I believe that all major cruiselines and travel agencies are now telling folks that passports are required for next year.

Waiting to see what happens could be a prudent course, but I do disagree with waiting until 8 weeks out. With the rush to get passports, the passport office is already starting to get a bit backed up. Late this year and probably throughout 2006, the lead time for passports is apt to get longer and longer. If you want to wait, I wouldn't get closer than about 12 weeks before applying.

cruisin'Mike
07-18-2005, 10:45 PM
We just bit the bullet and applied for our passports last week. Luckily, DW had one from a business trip, so we only needed four. I'm sure we'll travel outside the country again (hopefully on a 7 day DCL cruise), so I guess the cost will be worth it. My parents are also going on the cruise with us in January. There is a good chance that this will be their one and only trip out of the country. It stinks for them to have to get passports for one trip.

Mike

musicgirl
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Mike, I have to agree about the fact that for your parents it does stink for this one trip.

Even though I hate the passport threads because it brings about such controversy, I have to post a bit more info.

In looking over press releases at travel.state.gov, I found a question and answer section concerning this issue.

1st, one thing that was clear was that it is a law that passports will be required by 2008.

2nd, the discussion about the proposed timeline was that it was just that and that they were open to hearing opinions concerning this.

3rd, they felt that they would have a definite timeline sometime in the fall, if not sooner.

Here's the link if you are interested http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2005/44286.htm

ivanova
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
I respectfully argue with the folks that are saying it is so much easier to have one, when birth certificates are just as easy.
But BCs aren't "just as easy" - sometimes having a BC over a passport means standing in longer immigration lines, sometimes means being hassled (like the previou poster hassled by Canadian immigration in 1989).

Having a passport for my DD(15) has been a godsend at the airports for domestic flights ... makes everything run just a little bit smoother.

And yes, the cruise lines are starting to make it a requirement ... I heard a recording yesterday while on hold for RCCL that starting 1/1/06 they are going to require passports.

tvguy
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I was telling my DM, 82 about this thread. She's a frequent cruiser.
Her comment..."I remember hearing the same complaints when they started requiring licenses to drive: :rotfl:

Disney with Triplets
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
"Due to a (fill in the blank...terrorist attack, hurricane, computer failure onboard, or whatever), we have been redirected to TinBuckTwo Island off the coast of Central America. For those of you with passports, please come to Deck 10 where you will be met by US Embassy officials who will help you with your travel iteneraries and will help you travel to friendlier territories. Those of you without passports, please proceed to Deck 1 where that we will determine which kind of fish bait you are best suited for. Have a good day."

For me, it's not about government requirements or cost, it's about safety abroad. I don't know, I guess we're overreacting; however, the thought of leaving the borders of the USA without a passport never crossed our minds. Now, if we were driving into Canada for the day, we might consider it, but to be at the mercy of a cruise ship? No way. Maybe this stems from having clients on a Mediterranean cruise and colleagues abroad during the 9/11 attacks...

noahsmom
07-19-2005, 09:45 PM
We got our passports a month ago, it took 6 weeks to get them. Even though we don't cruise until next summer the passports came in very handy when my DS and I went to Calgary 2 weeks ago.

Just as an FYI, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, the post office charges a $30 filing fee per application, so the passports cost us another $90 above the $89 & $65, plus pictures.

Jennay
07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Anyone here know the cost to renew a passport? Or do you have to apply again for a new one, like it was your first time? Thx for any info.

DrCavin
07-20-2005, 06:50 AM
Anyone here know the cost to renew a passport? Or do you have to apply again for a new one, like it was your first time? Thx for any info.

Here are answers to all your questions: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

DrCavin
07-20-2005, 06:58 AM
But BCs aren't "just as easy" - sometimes having a BC over a passport means standing in longer immigration lines, sometimes means being hassled (like the previou poster hassled by Canadian immigration in 1989).

I think JillPie was specifically refering to going on a DCL cruise there is no difference (except on the West Coast cruises)...

Just as an FYI, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, the post office charges a $30 filing fee per application, so the passports cost us another $90 above the $89 & $65, plus pictures.

Here is the itemized charges for a passport:

Age 16 and older: The passport fee is $55. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97.

Under Age 16: The passport fee is $40. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82.

Note: When applying at one of the thousands of designated application acceptance facilities in the U.S., you pay the passport fee and the security surcharge to the ''U.S. Department of State'' and the execution fee to the facility where you are applying.

noahsmom
07-20-2005, 08:00 AM
We were charged an additional $30 per passport at our post office for processing.

DrCavin
07-20-2005, 08:44 AM
We were charged an additional $30 per passport at our post office for processing.

Wasn't that the "Execution fee"???? or you were charged a total of $127 not counting cost of the picture????

noahsmom
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I had to look it up. We were charged $186 for 2 adult and child passport. We then had to pay a separate fee of $90 which the post office called a handling fee. The check for 186 was made out to the state dept and the 90 was made out to the USPS. They just broke it down differently. The pictures were taken at Walgreens, it's about half the price there.

6griswolds
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I think it all stinks too. When we found out about this awhile ago my DH said he was going to cancel the trip. The trip was already going to cost a whole lotta cash for a family of 6. (he overreacts and then gets over it as time goes by) Now we have decided to not cancel our land and sea package and bite the bullet. It means our budgeted cash for food (at the park) and souveiners have been cut way down. Or on the other hand....guess we can CHAAAARGE IT!!!!! :banana:

Jsme
07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
I plan on buying ours one a month starting this fall. I wonder just how busy and backed up it will become when everyone starts to file for them. I really wanted to buy them at a pase of one month for budgeting purposes.

Disney-Kim
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
:) We just applied for ours yesterday at the post office. $67 per person for the passport PLUS $30 per person fee. $97 per adult.