PDA

View Full Version : Live from the Magic West Coast July 17th-23rd

DisneyTart
07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Well we made it on board and I can sure feel it...and it's not the Bahama Mama talkin' :cool1:
Got to port at 10:15 and was able to board at 12:00. We were the 2nd family on the ship, thanks to my brother & his family who are in consierge! Tip if you have family/friends that you are traveling with and they are not in consierge they can still board with you. You get to take your first photo together. Very COOL! :banana: We did the usual lunch at Parrot Cay (great shrimp), met a few Disboard families at Scoops, and completely unpacked before doing the lifeboat drill and celebration party on deck. Stores opened at 6:00pm so did some "minor" shopping (only 2 shops on board :sad2: )Had a GREAT dinner at Lumiere's and now I'm here at the Cafe Cove relaxing on the computer.

Any questions I'm happy to answer.

~Bethany

Jasak
07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi DisneyTart! Thanks for writing. Looking forward to your live reports!
Was 12:00 the earliest you could board? Thought boarding was earlier? Or did it change?

Thanks, Jinny

DisneyTart
07-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi Jinny - Yes 12:00PM was the earliest they let us on. We thought it would be earlier due to no one (except a party) on board last night. Just a tip bring a jacket or wrap for nights on because on deck and even at dinner it is chilly, at least to me.

Gotta run, cause they close the Cafe Cove at Midnight. I'll check in tomorrow.

~Bethany

Jasak
07-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Yes 12:00PM was the earliest they let us on. We thought it would be earlier due to no one (except a party) on board last night. Just a tip bring a jacket or wrap for nights on because on deck and even at dinner it is chilly, at least to me.

Gotta run, cause they close the Cafe Cove at Midnight. I'll check in tomorrow.

~Bethany

Hi Bethany,
How did boarding go? Were you assigned numbers or did someone in your group have to stand in line when you got there?

Thanks again, Jinny :flower:

LiserAnn
07-18-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm curious to hear about the boarding...perhaps you didn't get numbers because you were concierge?

Verandah Man
07-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Have a MAGICal time, report back when you can, we love hearing those "Live" reports!!! :goodvibes

lwilliam
07-18-2005, 07:22 AM
We LOVE these live reports - thank you for your early response.
Have a magical vacation....if it wouldn't take too much of your time,
please continue to give reports. Our family leaves 7/30 and i love
reading what everyone else is doing. I am definitely bringing a
sweater/jacket. Thanks again.
Lucy

MickeyMania
07-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks, Bethany... keep 'em coming.

westjones
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Hope you have a Magical trip! Love the reports!
Thanks!
DJ

pppiglet
07-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Have a great trip!

winotracy
07-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Have a Magical Trip! We'll be there in less than 5 weeks!

Jsme
07-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Let us know what movies are playing. PLEASE.

AUDREY BELCHER
07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Hope you have a great cruise we sure did. It is fun hearing from cruisers while they are on cruise I did not realize that during of June 25 cruise a few were giving reports it was great reading them when we got home. Keep the reports coming

rsjj
07-18-2005, 10:04 AM
yes, we all love reading them! please have a magical time! and thank you for posting!! :flower:

jlawall
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Bon voyage! Hope the weather is beautiful for you!! Thx for posting! :goodvibes

drlum
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
If you get a chance could you let us know which nights are the Disney Dreams, Golden Mickey and Twiced Charmed. Also what are the first run movies that they are showing in the theater.

Sound like there will great weather for you. Enjoy.

We are leaving on Aug 13 Magic.

stars918
07-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Would love to hear more :) we leave in 12 days :cool1:

drlum
07-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I read on another thread that you could drop off a pillow case at the front desk and ask that the character sign the pillow case. If you happen to stop by the front desk for any reason could you ask if they still do this for their guest.

A Litle Pixie Dust
07-18-2005, 05:08 PM
If you get a chance could you let us know which nights are the Disney Dreams, Golden Mickey and Twiced Charmed. Also what are the first run movies that they are showing in the theater.

Sound like there will great weather for you. Enjoy.

We are leaving on Aug 13 Magic.

I am leaving Saturday on the Magic. I called DCL (you can call the week of your cruise) and find out what movies are playing for your cruise.

For the week of the 23rd the DCL rep said:

The Incredibles
Herbie
Ladder 49
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Carribean
and Prem"ear"ing on Friday is Sky High.

Hope this helps.

calmom
07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
We just got back on Saturday from the July 9th cruise and they did the pillowcases for us. Lisa

Jasak
07-18-2005, 11:25 PM
What is the room temperature in the cabin? Is it cool at night?
Is there a thermostat in the room?
Thanks!

DisneyTart
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Well Monday was a great day after not so great a night trying to sleep. Our room was very cold and being from SoCA our family (which included 3 females; 13,16 &41) like our temp a bit on the warm side. But even DH (who likes things cooler) thought the temp Sunday night was chilly. We had extra blankets but still slept in our sweats & sweatshirts. This morning we told our cabin host (Mario) and he had someone come in and adjust our "climate control". They allow you to "adjust" it from cooler to warmer but my guess is that they really control the temp. Mario did warn us that it would be getting warmer once we reached Mazatlan but we promised we wouldn't complain. The room temp was much nicer this evening. :flower:

To answer a couple questions:
We were given a boarding pass #5 when we arrived at 10:15am but because we had consierge they gave us a #1 after we checked in. Only one person from each family had to check their family in. They had a "special" seating area for consierge but frankly I would have preferred sitting with everyone else since they had a band playing and it was pretty quiet in the "special" area.

Yes they are still doing pillowcase signing. Just bring it in a ziplock to Guest Services and included your cabin #.

As for movies ans shows just remember we are on the only 6 night cruise on the west coast so everything is a bit different.

DisneyTart
07-19-2005, 02:08 AM
We have shows as follows:

Monday - Golden Mickeys, Formal Attire Dinner
Tuesday - Twice Charmed, Casual attire
Wednesday - PIRATE NIGHT pirate: - Pirate attire! (Herbie movie)
Thursday - Disney Dreams, semi formal
Friday - Remember the Magic, Casual attire

Movies playing are:

Howl's Moving castle
Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Racing Stripes
The Incredibles
Dark Water
The pacifier
Ice Princess
Hitchhicker's Guide..
A Lot of Love
National Treasure
Finding nemo
Pirates of the Caribbean

~Bethany

xoxokpxoxo
07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
So Herbie Fully loaded isnt playing?

challada
07-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Herbie is on Wed night instead of a stage show she said.

Hope you guys are having lots of fun, fun, fun!!!!

jiminyC_fan
07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Could you please tell me if the drink station and/or Topsiders has pineapple juice, cranberry juice and/or fruit punch.

Have a magical sailing. Wish I was there!

cindalu
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi,
If you have a chance to see Herbie. I would encourage you to do so. It is a great movie. We saw it on Saturday and my 3 girls loved it.

A must see for sure.

mmouse37
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Could you please tell me if the drink station and/or Topsiders has pineapple juice, cranberry juice and/or fruit punch.

I have never seen any of the three you mention at the drink station. You can get fruit punch at the end of the Topsider buffet line during the lunch buffet, but I think you would have to ask a CM special to get the pineapple or cranberry. They only had lemonade and iced tea along with the coke products, coffee, milk, tea, hot cocoa at the drink station.

MJ

renegade7
07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
We have shows as follows:
Monday - Golden Mickeys, Formal Attire Dinner
Tuesday - Twice Charmed, Casual attire
Wednesday - PIRATE NIGHT pirate: - Pirate attire! (Herbie movie)
Thursday - Disney Dreams, semi formal
Friday - Remember the Magic, Casual attire

I am on the 8/6 cruise! :earsboy:

Are there Matinees of the Golden Mickeys, Twice Charmed and Disney Dreams? If so can you let me know what times they were at?

Also, do you know when the Castaway Club Members Reception is?

I am a planner if you could not tell. These reports have been great! Thanks!

mommykeg
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I just got back from the July 9th cruise...there WERE matinees of the main stage shows...Golden Mickeys, Twice Charmed, and Disney Dreams. And if I'm not mistaken, they ran another matinee of a couple of the shows again the NEXT day too.

For our week, the schedule was as follows:

Saturday--Welcome Aboard Show
Sunday--Golden Mickeys
Monday--Variety Show
Tuesday--Herbie the movie (instead of a show) and Pirate Night
Wednesday--Twice Charmed
Thursday--Disney Dreams
Friday--Farewell Variety Show

DisneyTart
07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Well I have to say this boat is ROCKING!! Literally!!! We just saw Twice Charmed (great show) before our late dinner, they handed out seasick bags as we left the theatre....the captain came on shortly after it ended and said we are experiences very rocky waters due to Hurricane Eugene. I'm not that sick but feel as though I've had way too many Mimosas. :cool1: had Dd16 get us some ginger ale but don't know if we can do dinner or not. Lots of people are pretty sick. Talked to several crew members and they say this is the worst it has been. :teeth: . They say that laying down is the worst thing you can do, in fact if you keep movin you feel better. I'm next to the Promenade lounge and they have a band playing and getting people to dance. I'll try answer question above later but need to figure out if we are going to attempt dinner or not. Later....from the rockin' MAGIC ~ Bethany

DisneyTart
07-19-2005, 09:02 PM

I did check earlier and they have Hi C Fruit Punch at Drink station and at Topsiders. Orange Juice & Apple juice also at Topsiders. ~ Bethany

jiminyC_fan
07-19-2005, 09:47 PM
I did check earlier and they have Hi C Fruit Punch at Drink station and at Topsiders. Orange Juice & Apple juice also at Topsiders. ~ Bethany
How sweet for checking. Thanks sooo much!

Jasak
07-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Bethany,
Hope the Magic isn't rocking anymore.
I read somewhere that you're not allowed to bring bottled water in your checked baggage onboard? Is this true?
We're planning to pack a case of bottled water and secure it well in our checked luggage.
Thanks for all your wonderful updates.
Jinny :earsgirl:

swcruiser
07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I feel for you. I thought our boat was rocking last week and we didn't have a hurricane. If any of you on board have Rodolfo for your room host or Deepak for your server tell them that the davisson family says hi.
Thanks

northerncalgal
07-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Hi there,

I too am rockin' on the Magic - can't believe how this huge boat can rock so much - it's difficult to walk down the halls without holding on to anything. I read that the waves are 13 feet high! We took Dramamine before dinner and none of us have gotten sick :)

Anyway, this is our first cruise ever so I thought I'd share some thoughts. When we arrived at the terminal, I had to stand in line for about 15 minutes to check in (we arrived shortly after noon). Then they told me I had to stand in another line to register my kids for the children's programs (even though I had already done this online). I'm not sure why they couldn't have done this when I checked in after waiting in the first line. Anyway, this was another 15 minute wait and you needed your children with you to receive their bracelets. It turns out you can do this on the boat as well. However, if you wait to do it on the boat you hold up the people like me who already did it and are trying to drop their kids off at the Oceaneer's Club.

At the sail away party, it was hot, crowded, and noisy. So, if you or your kids don't enjoy that environment, I'd recommend going to another deck (like Deck 4) to watch as the boat pulls out to sea. It's fun to wave to people as you take off. Also, the pools are very crowded and noisy - I counted 45 people in the goofy pool today which is about the size of our backyard pool (14' x 38'). There was not much room to do any swimming - mainly just bounce around in the water. The Mickey pool was also jam packed. No lounge chairs available. So, we're planning on hanging out on the boat to swim during part of the day tomorrow while many passengers go to Mazatlan.

For us, by far the best things have been the Disney shows, comedian, magician, and the food. My kids especially love the availability of the food at all hours!

Hope you all enjoy your cruises!

NorthernCalGal

DisneyTart
07-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi all - I guess they are calling this Tropical Storm Eugene, and yes we are still rocking. Not as bad as last evening though.

Let's see to start Tuesday morning we were rolling a bit but my family skipped breakfast and slept in til 11:30am. We had the Aisan Lunch Buffet at Topsiders which was very nice, good variety & they have stir fry station and do it fresh for you while you wait. The boat was swaying at this time but noone was commenting much on it and when I asked the CM I simply got smiles and nods. I honestly thought maybe it was just me, even though Monday I had felt fine. DH, DBro, DSIL and I had High Tea at Palo and I asked the server there about the rocking and he said with a smile "we have a lot of newlyweds on this cruise" :rotfl: My DBro & DH didn't seem to mind the rocking so again I thought...it's just me. :blush: We decided to meet as a group to see Twice Charmed at 6:30 before our 8:30 dinner at Parrot Cay.

This is when I KNEW it wasn't just my "weak" sea legs. Many adults and kids left during the show, some even didn't make it out of the show before being sick (I know really gross!), they handed out bags to everyone as they left the theatre. All was fine at dinner until they brought the first course of food out and one look at my DD13 and I knew she'd never make the entire dinner. We left and spent the rest of the evening in our cabin, rockin and watching movies. Our food server sent our meals down to our room for us and we did eat a bit.

DH went on deck at 10:30 to get me some Scoops and said it was a ghost town and that the pools were flowing on to the decks. The reports were that the waves were between 8 & 12 feet. DH enjoyed sitting out on the verrandah and watching/listening to the waves. DD13 can't wait til we arrive in Mazatlan! We don't have any plans for the day so will prpbably get off the boat for a couple hours. :cheer2:

Right now the ship's common areas are pretty quiet just me and a couple CM about. It's rather nice!

I hope noone minds my rambling on :rolleyes1 ...I know when I was home waiting to go on our cruise I always liked to hear what was going on on board ship.
~Bethany

lwilliam
07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Every one of us at home enjoy everyone's report. Thanks for writing.
Hope you feel better soon.

cindalu
07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Hi there,
Does anyone know if this is still one of the shows. It is like Who wants to be a Millionaire.

westjones
07-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Oh, I really feel for you! We were on the Magic last year when Hurricane Jeanne was coming, and I was in my cabin for both of our days at sea (on the Eastern), and didn't eat at all for those two days. This was the first cruise where I didn't gain weight.

It was awful though. Here is a picture of one of the pools during this time:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7652&sort=2&cat=500&page=1

My DH took it, and he actually said the water was reaching the deck 10 area, but when he snapped this picture it wasn't quite that high. I was sick in bed at this time.

I am glad you guys are still able to get up and around and do things. I was the worse in my group. I hope it settles down for you. If you dock somewhere it isn't bad, only while you are at sea.

Hope you have a good day today!

DJ

GrumpyMom1
07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow, 8-12 feet. Last week the worst we had was between 4 & 8 feet according to the channel on the TV that reports that info. And I thought we were rocking pretty good at times. I could always feel it the most in the Walt Disney Theatre.

Hope you're having a good time otherwise. If you see Cynthia and Aswald in the dining room, tell them Sheila, Krystal, and Erica say hi!

pppiglet
07-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Jasak....we put a whole case of water in one small roller bag with a towel around it for extra filling of the space and just checked it with the other luggage. We had no problems and were so glad we took it.

natsmom125
07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I've been watching Eugene and wondering if he was close enough to cause y'all some problems.

The latest advisory shows him as a Tropical Depression. He should be starting to turn due west, away from you at any time. By Thurday he should be far enough west that hopefully, you won't feel any movement..other than normal movement.

So, try to hang in there...it should be over soon!!

Phyllis :crazy:

mmouse37
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I feel for you. I thought our boat was rocking last week and we didn't have a hurricane. If any of you on board have Rodolfo for your room host or Deepak for your server tell them that the davisson family says hi.
Thanks

Is this the Deepak you had (on the right side of pic).....if so yeah....I would like to see him in August when we cruise!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/48196942/48727744Vzfzdz

MJ

SCOUTER-DAD
07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Is this the Deepak you had (on the right side of pic).....if so yeah....I would like to see him in August when we cruise!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/48196942/48727744Vzfzdz

MJ

We shared the table with SWCRUISER (hi, lori :wave2: ) That is our Deepak.

jlawall
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Wow! thx to all for the updates........I was just thinking a few days ago if the hurricanes were affecting sailing weather and I guess we have that answer! Hopefully the worst is past and you'll have smooth sailing all the way back! How has your weather in the ports been? :sunny:

Thx again for the show updates, it does help with planning!! :grouphug:

DisneyTart
07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
So, try to hang in there...it should be over soon!!

Phyllis :crazy:

Thanks Phyllis - we are at port in Mazatlan right now and it is very peaceful! Cloudy and a few sprinkles but warm. DD13 & I decided to stay on board and enjoy the quiet and DH & DD16 went to explore the Cathedral & take some photos. DH has a bridge tour at 3PM. The Captain gave his address this morning and said we would be leaving port at 6:00PM (a little later than normal). They also said the Pirates Deck party would be tonight but with weather permiting pirate: .We brought costumes and will be "decked" out whether there is a party or not.

One thing that I thought was interesting was that the room hosts cannot turn down your beds or service your room while you are in them. It's against the rules according our host. He did pull the top bunk down and made us a snake towel animal! He was very sweet and apologized more than once.

I will check on the Who wants to be a Mouseketeer show, but I have heard from other threads of people being part of it.

DJ - Wow what a great photo of the pool! hopefully our waves are over :flower: .

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

~Bethany

lwilliam
07-20-2005, 01:10 PM
SO, let's try to look on the "bright" side....at least there were
deck chairs available :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Mdtigger99
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
when you get back from mazatlan and puerto vallarta can you post whether there were jellyfish on the beaches? we are going next week and i was hoping that maybe they would be washed away by then. thanks.

PlutoDCLfan
07-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Bethany Can you find out who the Stack counselors are? Thank you very much!

winotracy
07-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Bethany, I sent you a PM. Hope you are having a great time!

Tracy

jlawall
07-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Thx your reports are terrific!! Have fun in Cabo! :cool1:

tchrmom
07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Have fun in Cabo!!!!!

We were on the July 2 cruise, and that was our favorite stop!!!!!

Just a bit of a warning, if yu plan on buying a t-shirt at the Cabo Wabo Cantina...........Buy a SUPER or X-Large! I normally wear a Medium t-shirt, but bought a large, since they were 100% cotton. When I returned home, I washed it in COLD water, and didn't dry it. It now fits my 10 year old. :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Makes me mad, since that was the ONLY souvenir that I wanted from the cruise!!!!!

Just a "heads up"

Have a super time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drink a Wabojito for me!!!!
Fran
:teacher:

Judalyne
07-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I was wondering if someone could get the recipe for the Orange Blossom Syrup that is drizzled over some of the fruit dishes. I have been dreaming of it since I got home! I was going to buy the DCL recipe book, but it was sold out. So if anyone can help me, I would be eternally grateful! :Pinkbounc

Jasak
07-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks, ppiglet! That's what we were thinking of - case of water wrapped in a separate bag. Using towels, great idea.

Hope you all aren't rocking anymore.

Thank you all for writing. Just love to hear all about it! 17 days till the Magic!

Jasak
07-21-2005, 12:27 AM
(originally posted by NorthernCalGal)
Anyway, this is our first cruise ever so I thought I'd share some thoughts. When we arrived at the terminal, I had to stand in line for about 15 minutes to check in (we arrived shortly after noon). Then they told me I had to stand in another line to register my kids for the children's programs (even though I had already done this online). I'm not sure why they couldn't have done this when I checked in after waiting in the first line. Anyway, this was another 15 minute wait and you needed your children with you to receive their bracelets. It turns out you can do this on the boat as well. However, if you wait to do it on the boat you hold up the people like me who already did it and are trying to drop their kids off at the Oceaneer's Club.

At the sail away party, it was hot, crowded, and noisy. So, if you or your kids don't enjoy that environment, I'd recommend going to another deck (like Deck 4) to watch as the boat pulls out to sea. It's fun to wave to people as you take off. Also, the pools are very crowded and noisy - I counted 45 people in the goofy pool today which is about the size of our backyard pool (14' x 38'). There was not much room to do any swimming - mainly just bounce around in the water. The Mickey pool was also jam packed. No lounge chairs available. So, we're planning on hanging out on the boat to swim during part of the day tomorrow while many passengers go to Mazatlan.

For us, by far the best things have been the Disney shows, comedian, magician, and the food. My kids especially love the availability of the food at all hours!

Hope you all enjoy your cruises!

NorthernCalGal - thanks for all the info. That is very helpful!
Wonder why you had to stand in line even though you had already registered your kids online? Sounds inefficient. We've already pre-registered our kids in the kids club online too.
Wow, sounds like a full ship, with all those people in the pool!
Great to hear you all are having a great time!
Keep those reports coming...! We really enjoy reading and learning from you!
Thanks again! :disrocks:

swcruiser
07-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah, that's him. He was so good with the kids. He has a wicked sense of humor.
Lori

DisneyTart
07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi all - Have been busy enjoying our time. :cool1: But it's starting to get close to the end. :wave2:

Let's see we went in to Cabo on Thursday.
We tendered over to Cabo. They had to reposition the ship ealier in day to get closer to prt because the waters were very choppy, tending took a lot longer than normal . They said usually be 11:00Am you do not need a "tender pass", but made an anouncement at 11:15AM that one was still needed. It only took about 20 mins and we were on our way to our 12:15 excursion.

Did the Disney Excursion "Beach Horseback Riding". About 20 of us on the tour. Weather was nice high 80's I was told but lots of wind. The horses are very gentle and we had a great time. First time for me & DD13 & DD16 on horseback...just a little sore, not bad actually.

Had dinner at Palo and it was also Captain's Gala night so we had lobster in Palo. Great meal!!!. We did Brunch at Palo, High Tea at Palo and Dinner at Palo. I would say my favorite was Dinner, :teeth: then Brunch (Stollen bread a must!) and very least favorite was High Tea. :sad2: The tea at High Tea was nice but I've had much better scones and tea sandwiches at local tea shops. Kinda dry and unimpressive. The Chocolate Souffle is exactly like everyone says...WONDERFUL. We each had one.

After Palo we went down to our regular dinner and joined the DDs. They were at our table for 9 all by themselves but were being well taken care of by Ronald & Eddie. We just had coffee and enjoyed hearing how much they liked the show Disney Dreams. DH and I missed it because of Palo. They liked it as much as Twice Charmed (especially cause no one was getting sick around them :rotfl2: ). The boat was still rocking last night..about 4' - 8' waves but not affecting us as much.

DH & I went to the 70's show last night. The show with the crew & "their victims" was fun but we didn't stay long for the dancing, 70's music :crazy: but if you like it you'll love the band. I heared the Kaeroke (sp?) night on Wednesday night was a blast.

Today we have wine tasting and general laziness. Though the line for guest services and tips is pretty long. I should have taken care of it late last night.

Tracy - Saw Danielle and gave her your PM. She said she'll contact you! But GOOD news for all internet users. Danielle asked if I had a laptop w/me (I don't) But she said they are testing their Wireless Internet and it should be up and going soon :jumping1:

Bye for now - Bethany

JSCTRico4
07-22-2005, 01:44 PM
You are killin' me with the wireless internet tease! PLEASE let me know if it will be a go!! I am sailing Aug. 20th on the magic.....

winotracy
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Thank you Bethany! I hope your last night is extra special!

Tracy

disneylandkids
07-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Let us know what movies are playing. PLEASE.

The movies showing now might not be the same as when you cruise.

I called DCL about a week before our sailing date (7/9) and they gave me the list of movies for our cruise.

But WHY in the world was there only ONE showing of Pirates--at 2 pm on Puerto Vallarta day--is BEYOND me! I was BUMMED to not be able to see it on the big screen in all its splendor... :confused3

DisneyTart
07-22-2005, 06:35 PM
You are killin' me with the wireless internet tease! PLEASE let me know if it will be a go!! I am sailing Aug. 20th on the magic.....

Okay - here is the scoop!!! If I had a laptop that I could use with wireless I would BRING IT! :cool1: Talked to a guy this morning who opened up his laptop to do work on the first day and found he had an internet signal :bounce: He still needed to register and get a user name & password.
The guy I talked with signed a couple papers got his internet name & password and has been on lline through his own laptop the entire cruise!!!! A few glitches though he can only get a signal on deck 9 & 10, Promenade Lounge (Right next to internet cafe) and Atrium area. But he is on his own laptop. So far this is not an advertised service, CM Danielle offered it to me also but I didn't bring a laptop with me.CM Danielle at the "prebooking for your next cruise booth" is also the internet person.

I actually don't mind the internet cafe since it is open 24 hrs and if you want a kids free zone the Cafe Cove is open until 12:00AM. You can print on the printer for 25 cents a page, but I wasn't able to use to plug into a USB to recharge my Shuffle. But really that wasn't that big of a deal.

The only gripe I have is that we were on a 6 day cruise and had to pay the same $89.95 as a 7 day cruise had to. We could have been given a bit of a break from this IMO. The wireless internet guy didn't pay anything...BUT my feeling is that this was simply because it was being tested. I would think in the future there will be a charge for Wireless , but who knows how much???

Exciting news though, HUH????!!!! :jumping1:

~Bethany

JSCTRico4
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO exciting! I will be taking my laptop..... It will just be nice to not have people waiting for you. Even though we will be on vacation, we will be gone over 2 weeks, and need to stay in touch for various reasons. I wouldn't even mind paying, but, if it's free.... I will be even more excited!

llachance
07-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Glad the girls are enjoying Ronald and Eddie we were a table for 9 (so probably the same table you are at) on the June 25th cruise. We had a ball with them. :goodvibes

DisneyTart
07-22-2005, 06:46 PM
The movies showing now might not be the same as when you cruise.

I called DCL about a week before our sailing date (7/9) and they gave me the list of movies for our cruise.

But WHY in the world was there only ONE showing of Pirates--at 2 pm on Puerto Vallarta day--is BEYOND me! I was BUMMED to not be able to see it on the big screen in all its splendor... :confused3

Funny my DD16 went into Mazatlan (our pirate day) for only an hour because she HAD to see POTC on a big screen again, it was showing ONLY as a matinee. They really should show it as the 11:00PM movie, IMO. In fact we all DD13, DD16 & myself watched it all the way to the end (to see the monkey :rotfl: ). It got us in a great mood for Pirate night. We all dressed up and got many positive comments. A few people asked how we knew to bring costumes, we said "the disboards!!". I brought gold, coins, mini pirate toys, tattoos and glow bracelets for our table. Our servers were impressed and by the end of the evening they were wearing the bracelets!!! We had a blast at the Deck Party but I thought it could have been a bit shorter, 1 to 2 songs before, brief show/fireworks and 1 song afterwards instead of SEVERAL LONG very aerobic songs before the show/fireworks and MANY dance songs after. We went to the Pirate Deck Party buffet right after the fireworks and sampled some goodies. We all did have a great time & seeing the movie was indeed a treat!

disneylandkids
07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
when you get back from mazatlan and puerto vallarta can you post whether there were jellyfish on the beaches? we are going next week and i was hoping that maybe they would be washed away by then. thanks.

We sailed on the 7/9 cruise. We did not go to the beach in PV, but did a horseback ride in Mazatlan. I saw some (not a huge amount) of jellies on the beach there. We also saw some on the beach at Cabo and heard stories about people on the snorkeling trips having some stings here and there.

Years ago, when I lived on the east coast and went to the beach, I was told that Accent (the food seasoning--basically MSG) neutralizes jelly stings. It worked for me, way back when. I took a bottle of it for my kids, just in case, and I'm glad I didn't have to open it!

Verandah Man
07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Okay - here is the scoop!!! If I had a laptop that I could use with wireless I would BRING IT!

Great news, thanks for sharing!!! I just bought a new laptop this week that has wireless connection. In fact, I'm using it right now!!!

DisneyTart
07-22-2005, 06:53 PM
SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO exciting! I will be taking my laptop..... It will just be nice to not have people waiting for you. Even though we will be on vacation, we will be gone over 2 weeks, and need to stay in touch for various reasons. I wouldn't even mind paying, but, if it's free.... I will be even more excited!

Funny if I didn't have the occasional "break" to go check the internet this cruise wouldn't be as much fun for me. It's one of the things I've really enjoyed, Having a dish from scoops, my diet coke and checking in with friends has become very important to me. My DD16 has also liked keeping in touch with friends. In a day and age where we almost all carry cell phones to keep in touch it's nice to still have some of that same technology on vacation.

~Bethany

DisneyTart
07-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Oops almost forgot ...yes there were Jelly fish in Mazatlan and not sure about Cabo. We went to beach after horseback riding but only got our feet wet. the waves were huge and the undertow was VERY strong. Also while we checked in for our excursion (in Cabo) we heard the "Snorkling/Scuba" Tour had been cancelled due to rough seas. Guests were offered a full refund or an exchange to another harbour cruise.

~Bethany

stingfancb
07-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Okay, so help me out with this wireless laptop thing. Do I still pay the internet fee except use my own laptop? :confused3

Eeyorefan12
07-22-2005, 07:43 PM
One thing that I thought was interesting was that the room hosts cannot turn down your beds or service your room while you are in them. It's against the rules according our host. He did pull the top bunk down and made us a snake towel animal! He was very sweet and apologized more than once.

This might be the rule (to protect guests and crew) but it got bent for us. My DD11 came down with a bug (fever, sore throat) while on board and spent two days in the cabin. The first day, we kept the Do Not Disturb on and told our steward what was going on. The second day, we accidentally left off the DND sign and he came in at the end of the day while my DD and DS9 were there watching movies. (We had gone to Palo's.) He asked the kids if they'd like the room freshened up and they said it would be okay...so he worked around them and did a wonderful job. I have to admit, it was getting a bit "icky" in there with an unmade bed in the middle of the room and a sick kiddo who kept calling room service and leaving soup bowls all over. :goodvibes It was so nice to come back to it looking so fresh again and I think my DD felt better about it, too.

I understand why this kind of rule would be implemented and I'd have been uncomfortable with the same situation in a hotel or something (strangers in the room with my kids!) It was different on the ship...you just form "relationships" with the staff and feel so taken care of. (I could also feel the pride this man took in his work and it probably drove him nuts not to be able to take care of the room properly.) Now I'm glad I didn't compliment our guy in my comment card, though. He might have gotten in trouble!

CB

Pineapple
07-23-2005, 02:25 AM
What you want for jellyfish stings is a meat tenderizer containing the enzyme papain. I don't know what Accent contains but Lawry's Adolphs Meat Tenderizer should work.

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (http://www.lawrys.com/index.cfm?lry_value=products&prodtype=meattenderizer)

"The white powder sold as "Meat Tenderizer" is composed mainly of an enzyme extract from the papaya, called papain, usually with added salt, sugar and anticaking agents. The enzyme papain breaks down tough meat fibers. Papaya juice has been used for centuries in South America to tenderize meat."

"...a lifeguard in Hawaii who had to deal with insect and jellyfish stings... used a paste of meat tenderizer and vinegar and claimed it was magical."

Eeyorefan, are you still around? Still reliving your cruise, huh? ;)

DisneyTart
07-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Okay, so help me out with this wireless laptop thing. Do I still pay the internet fee except use my own laptop? :confused3

I'm not a technical wiz but I think you need a laptop with a wireless card. Some come with one built in others need to add one. Not totally sure how it works.

~Bethany

DisneyTart
07-23-2005, 02:45 AM
This might be the rule (to protect guests and crew) CB
Hi CB - I completely understand the rule, and felt very sorry for our host because he wanted to make the room nice for us but was hurrying around so not to get caught. We really bonded with him and even gave him one of our family t-shirts (an extra DH didn't wear). I think he was touched. We also tipped him over and above. He was really wonderful!

Tonight we had our final dinner in Parrot Cay, not my favorite restaurant, very noisy, bright colors. I guess it would called festive? We asked our head waiter if he could arrange a "special" dessert for my teen daughters and he did. They were thrilled!!!

We just finished a bit ago with the Pub Night show. Do not miss this show!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: It was very funny, haven't laughed so hard in quite awhile!

Should go up and turn in since we get booted off the boat for the next group of cruisers. :sad2: We have breakfast at Parrot Cay at 8:30, where we get our stickers. They call your group by what sticker you have and then you disembark.

So the next time I post I will be on land. I do want to say THANKS to all the disboard members who made this first cruise a true delight. Without the knowledge and extra tidbits I got from here it would not have been the same. Thank you so much for sharing!!! :love2:

~Bethany

Eeyorefan12
07-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Eeyorefan, are you still around? Still reliving your cruise, huh? ;)

LOL! Y'know, I keep TRYING to stay away from the boards...or at least not visit so often. Then I get a note in my mailbox that someone has replied to a post...well, you know the drill. :rolleyes2 Plus, I've gotta stay up on things if I'm going to plan our NEXT cruise. :rolleyes1

CB

Debogan
07-23-2005, 04:45 AM
LOL! Y'know, I keep TRYING to stay away from the boards...or at least not visit so often. Then I get a note in my mailbox that someone has replied to a post...well, you know the drill. :rolleyes2 Plus, I've gotta stay up on things if I'm going to plan our NEXT cruise. :rolleyes1

CB

I know the feeling! I can't seem to stay away either!

GoofyontheHiSeas
07-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Well after a very magical week, we just rolled in the door. Have many stories and pictures to share once we get unpacked. Thanks to everyone here for the incredable information that made our trip as excellent as it turned out.
Roger

Mom2Belle&PeterPan
07-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Hello to you and your family Roger! We stood next to you & your family at the San Pedro harbor to see the Magic leave on its first Mexico cruise. So glad to hear that you had a magical trip! Please tell your dw hello for me, and we look forward to your trip report! We'll be bringing the Magic home on August 20th!

mgm61
07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
boy what a great time to be had. Everyone should get to go on this cruise.
There are plenty of places to hang out if you want to get away from all the kids. Make sure to go to Sessions bar if you have a late dinner. I found nachos and all the fixins up there. Guagamole (sp) is excellent.
I lost my cookies from the storm. I orded the meat med rare. Thats when it hit me. Our server Sandra walked me all the way to the room. lol
When we first got on board we went to the room and started unpacking. Hubby was hot and we ordered a fan right away when we set up our acct.
We got our bags pretty quickly so we unpacked. Hubby was so hot that we didn't make it to the first dinner. We went swimming instead when no one else was there. We had early dinner to start with and got it changed by the 3rd night.
There are things to do all the time on the ship. Or you can do nothing if you want to just relax. Which is what we did most, relax.
We were a Make a Wish family and had the best service just like everyone else, but it was so much fun and we were so happy to be there.
We had a bridge tour with other Make a Wish families we met Mickey up there and pictures. The captain actually said we had 12 to 18 ft seas.
It was great the shows were great and the food for the most part was great. I tried champagne and cavair for the first time at the Palos brunch. I like cavair. If you didn't like something that they brought for dinner, change it. My son had ordered something he didn't like and they brought him another dinner. No problem. I didn't gain anything because of all the walking around the ship we did. The elevators are full almost all the time and if we had to go up 1 or 2 flights we did on foot. We did come all the way down by stairs from the 9th floor. Son and I raced. He won because he jumped at the end.

We went on the Mazatlan tour with Frank. It was nice but Mazatlan is a dirty town. He took us up on the hill where he had his picture, I think I got stung by a killer bee. By the time we got back in the van there were about 20 buzzing outside. I kept ice on it and when I got home went to the doc. Tetnes (sp) shot and antibotics for 5 days. We also went on the Pacifico brewery tour. Your kids have to be 18 or look it to go. We have been on the budweiser tour before and this is nothing like it. You get up close. We could have grabbed a beer off the line. It's different.
We went to the glass bottom boat and stopped at lovers beach. We shouldn't have gotten off. You had to jump in the water and you got knocked down by the waves. Good thing we had our suits on under our clothes. It was just as bad getting back on. You had to pretty much belly flop on the boat. They had guides to take you stuff off the boat so everything wasn't soaking wet and then they have there hat out for tips.
The water was cold but refreshing, from Mazatlan. It was too hot and humid.
I wish I would have bought more Kalua. It was only 10 a bottle for the big one. Also got the good Cabo Wabo for 45.00 Thats the year and 1/2 stuff. Anejo, we didn't get to the bar, because of the tendering trouble we had less time. I would go back to Cabo for sure.
Michele :cool1:

rsjj
07-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Michele...thanx for the mini trip report! just a quick question...where did you purchase your kalua? in one of the ports? or on the ship? thanx! :flower:

Sunmi Lee
07-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the live reports. That is fun!!! We're traveling on the Magic on Jan. 7th. Can't wait!!!!

mgm61
07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
rsjj We got it in a little stand right by the return to the ship in Cabo. I don't remember in being set up when we got there but it was there when we were leaving. There was a guy selling hats and the fire dept had a tshirt and donation stand. He was right next to them. Kind of kitty-cornered to the shopping mall we went to right on the dock. Hope you can find it.
ps. the glass bottom boat thing was in Cabo.

rsjj
07-28-2005, 12:15 AM
rsjj We got it in a little stand right by the return to the ship in Cabo. I don't remember in being set up when we got there but it was there when we were leaving. There was a guy selling hats and the fire dept had a tshirt and donation stand. He was right next to them. Kind of kitty-cornered to the shopping mall we went to right on the dock. Hope you can find it.
ps. the glass bottom boat thing was in Cabo.

thanx, Michele! good to know, since we don't have any excursions set up for cabo. so hopefully, we'll stroll around & shop around! again, thanx for the info! :flower: