PDA

View Full Version : WL - top bunk - safe ? what age for top bunkbed ?

pooh2001
07-16-2005, 08:24 PM
WL - bunkbeds - top bunk - rails on both sides , ladder by feet.

Has anyone ever had a child fall out of the top bunk bed ?

Best age for top bunk ?

Thanks !

Nik's Mom
07-16-2005, 08:30 PM
We had the bunk beds at AKL, which I think is the same at WL. Our 3 and 6 year old spent time on the top bunk. Neither one fell off. On the first day, our 3 year old needed help up, but by the end of the trip, he was climbing up and down with no difficulty! :flower:

WVMomof3
07-16-2005, 09:34 PM
I have never seen any of the resort bunk beds, but our beds at home have a safety warning for no one under the age of 6 on top bunk. It does have a rail all the way around, seems safe, but I was nervous when we first got it and that is for my seven year old. My 4 year old knows it is against "The Rules" (posted on the bed) and she makes a big fuss if any of her friends try to climb up the ladder and tells them they are not 6 and Can not go up there. I kinda like that, saves me from having to yell at them, I don't want any broken bones at my house! Another rule is only one person on top at a time and so far they have stuck to that too. I wonder how long it will last. We have had the bed for about 4 months.

purplepixie
07-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Our bunks at home also have the warning for no one under 6. My concern is more the up and down then the sleeping. The rails seem high enough but if they get up at night to go to the bathroom or something I would worry about slipping on the ladder or not finding it in the dark. If your kids are used to bunks it may not be a big deal for them. Hope that helps.

samsmom05
07-17-2005, 12:38 AM
When I was growing up we had bunks at our house. I was 5 and helping my mom make the beds when I rolled off and broke my collar bone. Of course, this story only gets better when you learn that I "fell" off the bottom bunk that was only 6 inches off the ground.

MichiganMommy
07-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the WL bunks have a notice saying that top bunk is recommended for age 6 and up. DS6 was very excited to be able to sleep up there on our last trip. There is a railing all the way around (except where the ladder is).

This website has lots of pics of WL. #6 shows the bunk beds.
http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/pix.asp?resort

We love WL! Hope this helps!

mom2kazkids
07-17-2005, 09:35 PM
We were at WL in May with our 4 and 5 year olds. They took turns each night sleeping in the top bunk. Neither one had a problem getting up or down the ladder. We only allowed one up there at a time. I noticed that with the kids not napping once they got to the room at night, and into bed they were out in an instance. We also woke up in the morning before them, so we were able to help them down in the morning if they needed it.

It was great to have them, it was nice not to share a bed with a child for 4 nights.

Barb

Nik's Mom
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm with you, Barb! Those bunks were great for us. Totally agree that the kids need supervision. And if your kids get up in the middle of the night, then the bunk beds aren't a good idea. My kids sleep through the night. My oldest ds has some motor skill problems, so we were real careful with him when he climbed up and down the ladder. If your child has these issues, be careful. Those ladders can be a challenge for them. On the other hand, my 3 year old had no problem with the steps.

zcubed
07-18-2005, 01:59 AM
The bunk beds are awesome for vacation. We will not have them at home so it is a real treat for my girls.

On the Disney Wonder, last year, we had a bunk and my girls, 5 yrs and 7 yrs, switched for the top bunk. This year, at AKL, my oldest, now 8 yrs, wanted the top bunk, my 6 yr old, did not want it.

My biggest concern is if they get up during the night, when it is dark in the room, to go to the bathroom; we told her to wake us... oh wait, my dh told her to wake him and he would wake me...

she did not wake, and we had no instances or issues or problems.

zcubed
07-18-2005, 02:05 AM
here is a link to a photo of the bunk (at AKL):

bunk bed at AKL (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123785219&idx=3)

compared to the bunk on the cruise, the one at AKL was so much better, was more safe. Had no problems at either place...

Wonder Bunk (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4285903397&idx=9)

DiscussDisney
07-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Make sure your "taller" kids watch their heads in relation to the ceiling. DS (7 at the time) kept hitting is head on the ceiling. I was hoping he would learn after doing it 1 or 2 times, but it took about 7 hits for him to finally realize there was a ceiling. :sad2:

TXTink
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
When I was growing up we had bunks at our house. I was 5 and helping my mom make the beds when I rolled off and broke my collar bone. Of course, this story only gets better when you learn that I "fell" off the bottom bunk that was only 6 inches off the ground.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

maryliz
07-18-2005, 09:02 AM
We let our then 4 yr old DDsleep on the top bunk at AKL a few years ago. We did tell her to wake us if she needed the bathroom in the middle of the night, which didn't happen. No problems whatsoever. That same DD is now 8 and has bunks at home. She actually prefers the bottom bunk most nights, but on those nights she's up top, I still worry about her getting down in the middle of the night. The house rule is that if she's up top, she must have a nightlight on in her room.

MaryLiz

SqueakyMouse
07-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Our 2.5 yo dd slept in the top bunk at AKL in May. She had no problems, and she still sleeps in a crib at home!!