PDA

View Full Version : Announcement

global-mouse
07-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Lots of speculation what, if anything, they might announce while the Magic is in LA today.

If anyone hears anything, please post ASAP.... dieing of curiosity.

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

lwilliam
07-16-2005, 09:15 AM
IF there will be an announcement since we heard there is a huge
fund-raiser on the ship today for Make-A-Wish foundation.

pppiglet
07-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Good question! Let's hope someone hears something!

Verandah Man
07-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Good question! Let's hope someone hears something!

yea, ditto here!!!

missyoh8
07-16-2005, 05:07 PM
What do you think the big news is going to be tonight from DCL???

Missyoh8

Castillo Mom
07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
What, there's an announcement?! Who, what, when, where?! :earseek: Oh, isn't the Magic held in port today for a press event? Darn, and I live only 15 minutes away from San Pedro.

mouseclick1
07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Ooooh, I forgot that was tonight! I wonder what time the announcement will be made. I KNOW this won't be it, but I would love to hear an announcement that they are going to Alaska in 2007!

Castillo Mom
07-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Anyone have any inside info? :hyper:

westjones
07-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Is there a 'live' report going for the cruise? I haven't seen it if there is, but maybe someone will report back to us.
DJ

GoofyontheHiSeas
07-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles but there is a huge "Make a Wish" celebration on the ship tonight. Make a Wish on the Magic (http://www.wish.org/disneycruise/) It will be starting in about 2 hours. We are getting on the boat in the morning, so if there is an announcement we will let the Disers know.

Castillo Mom
07-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Actually, I'm not hoping there will be any announcements regarding DCL, just the opposite. I just want to make sure the Magic will continue on an eastern itinerary when we go on our cruise in '07. If they were to change their itinerary, that would through a definite kink into our plans.

missyoh8
07-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles but there is a huge "Make a Wish" celebration on the ship tonight. Make a Wish on the Magic (http://www.wish.org/disneycruise/) It will be starting in about 2 hours. We are getting on the boat in the morning, so if there is an announcement we will let the Disers know.

I was under the impression that was where the "announcement" was going to take place. I had read all about that event weeks ago. Let us know what the buzz is tomorrow! Have fun on your trip. I am sure it will be fabulous. pirate:

Missyoh8

krdisneybound
07-16-2005, 08:29 PM
make sure you let us know what is going on

Thanks

lbgraves
07-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh come on! Why shouldn't any of those celebs log into the internet cafe & give us a live report?

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

one princess
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Yea, Johnny Depp, talk to me baby!! :love1: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GoofyontheHiSeas
07-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Actually our group has all been speculating whether any of the celebs from tonight willl get a free cruise tomorrow. Wouldn't it be great to have Johnny Depp on Pirate night. pirate: Christy Carlson Romano doing our wellcome aboard show. Raven taping a show on a cruise ship. Or Jackie Chan running the Kids club. :rotfl2: We can only dream. Will let you all know if we hear anything tomorrow.
Roger

GrumpyMom1
07-16-2005, 09:42 PM
I doubt there would be an announcement tonight during the Make-A-Wish fundraiser. I just got off the Magic today and thought maybe there would be an announcement during the week since Tom McAlpin, the DCL President, was onboard. But there was not even a hint of what's coming.

I rebooked last night and was told that the 2007 summer schedule won't be released until April 06. The reason is that there are many details to be worked out which leads me to believe they won't be Caribbean cruises. The remainder of 2007 will be released earlier but she didn't say when.

AmyJ of Ca
07-16-2005, 10:25 PM
I doubt there would be an announcement tonight during the Make-A-Wish fundraiser. I just got off the Magic today and thought maybe there would be an announcement during the week since Tom McAlpin, the DCL President, was onboard. But there was not even a hint of what's coming.

I rebooked last night and was told that the 2007 summer schedule won't be released until April 06. The reason is that there are many details to be worked out which leads me to believe they won't be Caribbean cruises. The remainder of 2007 will be released earlier but she didn't say when.

Does anyone else find it exhausting trying to keep on top of this stuff so you can get the best price for your family? I hope they release those dates before then but I guess I'll just have to keep checking the boards to stay up to date. Amy :flower:

westjones
07-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Does anyone else find it exhausting trying to keep on top of this stuff so you can get the best price for your family? I hope they release those dates before then but I guess I'll just have to keep checking the boards to stay up to date. Amy :flower:

YES!
:rotfl:

LiserAnn
07-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Another "yes" here too!

lbgraves
07-16-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm OK as long as we keep planning cruises in the fall/winter months. :)

OurDogCisco
07-16-2005, 11:19 PM

Yes, totally.... I was hoping we'd get some news...

Tina :listen:

pppiglet
07-17-2005, 12:41 AM
April 2006 is sooooo long away! Wonder where they are putting the ship then if they have to work out more details? Wonder where I am going on vacation in 2007!!!

CRSNDSNY
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I for one would love to hear some new DCL news!!!

FirstTimeCruiser
07-17-2005, 11:23 AM
*** bump ***

Hollyster2
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I am waiting!!!!!

MousseauMob
07-17-2005, 01:15 PM
The silence is deafening! :confused3

princess crazy
07-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I would love to know any new info too! Particularly on the 2007 sailings. Here's hoping a little pixie dust will help all!! :wizard:

tvguy
07-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I suspect IF there is any announcement it would be today, not yesterday, since today is Disneyland's 50th birthday.
Given that the west coast cruises have been sellouts, at higher rates than the caribbbean cruises, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the ships return, but I have NO inside information.

taeja71
07-17-2005, 03:09 PM
see related thread So, any announcement today?? link provided http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=863247

taeja71
07-17-2005, 03:10 PM
see related thread entitled, Announcement . link provided. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9235326&posted=1#post9235326

taeja71
07-17-2005, 03:10 PM
bumping this up since it has the most posts.

purplern
07-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Bump :cool1:

Mjasp
07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Did I miss something? Why does everyone seem to think there is going to be some sort of announcement?

mickey2000
07-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Here is a link to some news???
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/1111111111.jpg

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050717/175023.html?.v=1

kaceyisme
07-17-2005, 10:56 PM
That certainly is wonderful magical news. Granting wishes for ill children is one of the best things that Disney could do. Even better than West Coast cruises!!

AnnaS
07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Please post any news/rumors for 07. We rebooked on board for 06 and plan on moving date to 07. Hoping for a different itinerary.

jrabbit
07-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Did I miss something? Why does everyone seem to think there is going to be some sort of announcement?Since last May (2004) when the West Coast Cruises were announced and that this weeks cruise is only a 6 nighter instead of 7, many people here on the DCL portion of the DIS thought that DCL would be announcing the building of another ship and new iteneraries.

Like others have said, cruise ships cost a lot of $$$$ to build (or Euros actually since the ships mostly are built in Europe). DCL has stated that they are waiting for favorably exchange rates (which have happened in the past couple of months). So there really has been no way that DCL would have / could have announced the building / awarding of a contract on Saturday (July 16) - they would not have known 14 months ago that they could proceed (unless the $$ to Euro conversion rate was just a smoke screen).

ivanova
07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
not surprised there wasn't an announcement ... 'course now the speculation is starting because someone somewhere is saying that Summer 2007 itineraries won't be available until April 2006, but itineraries before and after will be available sooner ... kinda feels like when they announced 2005 :rolleyes:

mommommouse
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
:cool1: bump :cool1:

captaincrash
07-18-2005, 11:58 PM
The Make a Wish organization is my preferred charity.... :wizard:

.... donating time and funds. I appreciate that their administrative ratio against budget is extremely slim - especially compared to other organizations claiming to be charitable.

Plus - I've experienced personal loss and the passing of loved ones - and I truly admire the objectives and achievement of the Make a Wish chapters.

Reading this thread brings a quiet measure of satisfaction that they set aside an evening with their expensive ship to host a fund raiser. Although they might have had to park the Magic anyway for what-ever reason - I imagine their bean counters would otherwise prefer to keep the boat "working". Most other companies might agonize over parking an asset as large and valuable as a 3/4 billion dollar cruise ship for a nite to benefit a charity.

I would guess the ship might lose an average of $200 per adult passenger - and if we were to assume a full ship with about 1600 out of the 1754 person capacity in the 877 cabins - then they gave up 3.2 million in revenue for ONE day! Not counting the revenue from the last 154 passengers. So - in effect Disney gave up an estimated 3.2 million in revenue, plus they had to pay for their idle staff for the ship for one day - and depreciate the $700,000,000 ship (original cost when launched) one day as parked in port! Er, rather they will no doubt write off the loss on one day as a charitable donation (if they can). But my point is the "donation" of $2,000,000 cash + loss in revenue of about $3,000,000 plus the idle staff costs (if some of their staff were idle) - plus one days' depreciation on a 700M ship amount to a fairly generous donation + not counting that the charitiable organization brings lots of very very sick kids for a day at a Disney park - probably also largely donated by Disney. The resources they have given to the Make a Wish Foundation and sick kids is a huge committment.

I for one do not mind patronizing an organization like DIsney with the annual passes we have - our last 2 DCL cruises (one coming up in September on the Magic) and all the DVDs and Disney movies and things we've purchased. The only thing I have not done yet but I think we'll revisit is INVESTING a little in DISNEY STOCK. Not in seeking a killing in profit - but in making an investment "endorsement" of their firm.

Heck... I work for a $50,000,000,000 company in upper middle management and regrettably we do not engage in many nobel community service fnctions like this one - but our firm does engage in commmunity service - just not the same as Disney.

At any rate - pardon my soap-box chatter - it's just a little something I wanted to share with any who might read through my lengthy dribble.

* a healthy sprinkling of Pixie Dust to all! *

regards from,

Tom & Alicia

:flower: