PDA

View Full Version : Request issue at the Polynesian (or any resort)

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Just to make sure everyone is clear on this. Requests for buildings or even rooms are in no way a guarantee that you will get this as your room or location. Disney does their best but if they cannot fulfill this is not a legitimate reason to get upset at the CM checking you in.

I have been hearing from CMs that people are checking into the Polynesian and when they are not getting their requested longhouse they are getting very irate with the staff. This is not acceptable behavior in my opinion and is leading to bad feelings between CMs and guests. Also how would you like to be the person to check in with a CM after they just got chewed out by someone because they did not get their “REQUEST”?

The other problem that keeps coming up is people here getting the impression that there are one or two prime locations at the Polynesian. As an example the staff has been reporting an increase of requests for Samoa and Samoa is not the only good location but people are getting upset if they do not get placed there. Just because someone comes home and reports that Samoa was the best spot or the best view just remember that is just an opinion and might not be the best for you or the only good spot. I can think of something good about every longhouse and many don’t even get mentioned.

So the moral of this story is be flexible about your location. Realize that requests are not always fulfilled. Don’t take your anger out on the CMs that don’t even assign your room and may not be able to change it. I know in the last few weeks the Polynesian has been overbooked and even had to open up some of the rooms in the building that is being worked on so there might not be any other rooms to change you to if you don’t like your location.

If you try to not have unrealistic expectations and treat the staff with some respect than maybe things will go smoother for all of us.

Aloha

Steve

Tigger_Magic
07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Steve, this is excellent advice! CMs, especially those working the front desks at resorts, have a tough enough job without guests ranting about their less than perfect room location. Unfortunately, I've witnessed a couple of these events and it's not a pretty picture.

Flexibility and properly managed expectations are important aspects of any vacation, not just at Disney.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes that is so true.

I don’t usually get emails about these issues from the staff but I guess it is getting bad enough for them to tell me about it. I even asked them once before when I heard it was becoming a problem if they suggested I remove all the info about the different longhouses from my page since it seemed to be causing problems and they said not to since it was helpful information to their guests but it seems the information is being misused by some.

Sammie
07-15-2005, 01:16 PM
I could not agree more that everyone needs to remember that requests are that a request, not a guarantee.

With all due respect though I know many on these forums consider you the official word on the "best" at the Polynesian due to your many visits there and the wonderful info and photos on your site.

Recently someone asked about the good garden view locations and you ranked them with Tokelau and Samoa being one and two. So maybe this listing, along with recent trip reports from others raving about Samoa contributed to the problem.

I know you would never intentionally ever do anything that might in some way cause a hardship on an CM at the Polynesian, but I do think many on these forums take your opinion very seriously. Just something to consider. :flower:

JennyMominRI
07-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I,m planning to very nicely request Samoa. I'll make it very clear that I know they may not be able to do it. If they can't I will smile and be happy..I can't imagine acting nasty about it

Davefrompgh
07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
ditto..According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary the word "request" means.."the act or an instance of asking for something". Asking is not a guarantee. I also really think the CM's do everything in their power to accomodate guest requests, but really....to be irrate about your view.....gosh, when we check in...I sure do hope we are not facing the dumpsters... :laughing: ..Come on people...CM's are people too.... :love2:

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I think that most people that have been to WDW at least once, know already that room and building requests are not gauranteed. And for those that have never been, that information has been posted here and elsewhere many times, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this, or any other website, is causing this problem at the front desk.

This time of year is extremely crowded at WDW and the Polynesian is always one of the most crowded resorts on the property. I think this alone leads to some frustrations guests have when their requests are not met. Check-In can be tedious and long in the summer months. Obviously everyone has a different threshold for disappointment and various levels of patience. While it's clearly not necessary to take frustration out on CM's that aren't responsible for room assignment, I doubt that forums like this are the cause ... or anything Tikiman's site says. People who go frequently probably are the ones getting most frustrated because they have come to expect, or desire, a certain building.

During my most recent trip in April, I personally witnessed four families get bumped from Hawaii because they were overbooked. Talk about angry. These people were offered rooms at the GF instead of what they'd booked many months in advance. I would have been furious.

I have justified the extra cost of concierge on many of my trips partly because of the gaurantee of being in the Hawaii building. You know where you're going to end up. But after seeing what happened in April, that's not even always true.

When it's crowded, tempers rise ....

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding their favorite buildings. And the info given out on this site and others helps new guests find their way in the Polynesian. I bet once the summer crowds leave, the problem will largely disappear.

By the way, only once did I not get the building I requested, and that was during a school break in February when it was extremely crowded. It's been my experience that when occupancy is lower, room requests are almost always granted.

Good luck to everyone ... and enjoy your room no matter where it is...

susy
07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
I requested and got Samoa. HOWEVER, there are many other locations that were very nice and very convenient. If I stay again at the Poly, it will be Hawaii, though (he he)

Lewisc
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
I agree 100%. A year ago one poster wanted to know how to guarantee she'd get a room from a specific list of rooms. I suggested booking a LV rather than hoping they'd get a GV room with a partial LV. Not sure who she was trying to con but she dropped it after she realized how obvious she was.

Steve you might want to remove specific recommendations. Based on the pictures and map guests can come to their own conclusion on what to request.

BUT there is no excuse for overbooking Hawaii. Disney would have no trouble finding volunteers to be upgrade to Hawaii but I'm sure there is a shortage of guests who would volunteer to stay at another resort, even with a discount. Normally guests who're walked to another hotel get upgraded and get their room comped. I don't think Disney does this but that's the minimum they should be doing.

If the hotel is sold out someone is going to get the less desirable room.

I always think if at least 25% of the rooms in the category I reserved will meet my request than my request is reasonable. If only a handful or rooms will meet my request then I'm being unreasonable. Somoa longhouse, third flood is how many rooms? How many of those rooms aren't already rented to a continuing guest?

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Sammie,

I agree with you. Sometimes maybe I need to not comment. I just try to be honest with my impressions. When I do create a list this is only my opinion and I by no means consider my opinion to be the best one out there. I try to stand by my facts as the best out there but opinion is just that, an opinion than many don’t agree with. What I see as the best and the worst might be the opposite of someone else. Also the longhouse at the bottom of my list is still a good location and is not that much worse that the longhouse that is at #1. My web pages do not rank the longhouses as good or bad or in between.

When asked I will always give an honest opinion. After all just because I have a web page (than anyone could have created) does not mean I gave up my rights to my opinion and the only reason I believe many people listen to what I write is because I try to give good information and tips to make their visit the best it can be but I have never promoted the making of requests. In fact I believe that requests are not necessary.

As always Sammie I enjoy your posts and your point of view. I guess I am just trying to figure out what it is I am supposed to consider? Should I give up my right to an opinion? Do you think the descriptions on my pages need to be limited? I look forward to your suggestion.

Aloha

Steve

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 03:04 PM
gosh, when we check in...I sure do hope we are not facing the dumpsters... :laughing: ..Come on people...CM's are people too.... :love2:

Well if you end up looking toward the only place the dumpsters are located than you would be thrilled because you would be in one of the Ambassador suites in Tonga. Yes they face the closed off area where the dumpsters are located.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I think that most people that have been to WDW at least once, know already that room and building requests are not gauranteed. And for those that have never been, that information has been posted here and elsewhere many times, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this, or any other website, is causing this problem at the front desk.

I posted this here because in the email to me from the CM it stated that the guest said that they found out from here that Samoa was the place to stay and they were demanding that the request be granted.

This time of year is extremely crowded at WDW and the Polynesian is always one of the most crowded resorts on the property. I think this alone leads to some frustrations guests have when their requests are not met. Check-In can be tedious and long in the summer months. Obviously everyone has a different threshold for disappointment and various levels of patience. While it's clearly not necessary to take frustration out on CM's that aren't responsible for room assignment, I doubt that forums like this are the cause ... or anything Tikiman's site says. People who go frequently probably are the ones getting most frustrated because they have come to expect, or desire, a certain building.
I totally agree that many of the frequent visitors are the most demanding. New visitors might be more confused and worried about what they will get but in many cases they are also just happy to be there.

JennyMominRI
07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm just so darned happy to be staying at the Poly..I've wanted to go there for years now... I don't care if I have to look at a dumpster,I'll still be smiling

Tigger_Magic
07-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Sammie,

I agree with you. Sometimes maybe I need to not comment. I just try to be honest with my impressions. When I do create a list this is only my opinion and I by no means consider my opinion to be the best one out there. I try to stand by my facts as the best out there but opinion is just that, an opinion than many don’t agree with. What I see as the best and the worst might be the opposite of someone else. Also the longhouse at the bottom of my list is still a good location and is not that much worse that the longhouse that is at #1. My web pages do not rank the longhouses as good or bad or in between.

When asked I will always give an honest opinion. After all just because I have a web page (than anyone could have created) does not mean I gave up my rights to my opinion and the only reason I believe many people listen to what I write is because I try to give good information and tips to make their visit the best it can be but I have never promoted the making of requests. In fact I believe that requests are not necessary.

As always Sammie I enjoy your posts and your point of view. I guess I am just trying to figure out what it is I am supposed to consider? Should I give up my right to an opinion? Do you think the descriptions on my pages need to be limited? I look forward to your suggestion.

Aloha

Steve Steve, your opinions and information about the Poly are just as valuable (maybe more so) as anyone else's. You are entitled to share your point of view. You have earned the reputation as a trusted resource for accurate information about the Poly. I don't believe you need to apologize for, retract or give up your right to express your thoughts on this resort.

It's not your fault that some people (hopefully a minority) may misuse that information or allow it to warp their expectations. I seriously doubt that as good as your site is... that it is the sole contributor to the problems some of the CMs at the Poly face. It is not your responsibility to manage the expectations of every Poly guest or to ensure that everyone is completely satisfied with their room location, view, or stay.

People need to learn to accept responsibility for their choices, expectations and desires. Sure, we'd all love to have the absolute perfect room with the perfect view in the perfect longhouse the perfect distance from the restaurants with the perfect parking spot and perfect weather. To paraphrase the Walgreens commercial... That's Perfect... this is the Poly and the Poly exists in reality, so welcome to reality, folks.

Someone once told me that I shouldn't expect the CMs to create all the magical moments for me and my family at Disney... that with a little effort and some planning, I could create a lot of the magic for myself. They were right!

No matter what the location, no matter what the view, no matter what the situation... there is always something good and something magical to find if one is willing to look for it. Steve's even found it for a room that overlooks the dumpsters at the Poly for heaven's sake! Now THAT'S the way to approach your stay at the Poly or any Disney resort. ;)

7thdwarf/dopey
07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
For what its worth.....I just did a google search for "Disney's Polynesian Resort". Anyone care to know what came up on the first page......on top before even disney's link was this site (Dis) and them all ears. I went through three pages and still didnt see a link to Steves site.

I've got an idea which will make the CM's happy! People say I look like Santa. Really...every year I'm asked and I do the Santa thing. White hair, white beard, big belly......(if i cud just hide those tattoos :earboy2: )

Anyway, I read on these boards about bringing small gifts for the cm's and handing them out to those that deserve. So along those lines I was thinking of bringing 20 or 30 small wrapped gifts and doing the Santa thing in my Hawaiian outfit that I have and bring a bit of cheer to the wonderful CM's who take such wonderful care of us. http://bestsmileys.com/christmas1/19.gif

Tricialiv
07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
We requested Aotearoa longhouse hoping for a veiw of the monorail. If you want something enough to get an attitude you should have paid for it. I hope the whiners don't ruin it for everyone. Also what values are they teaching their kids!

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Someone once told me that I shouldn't expect the CMs to create all the magical moments for me and my family at Disney... that with a little effort and some planning, I could create a lot of the magic for myself. They were right!

That is the best and truest statment I think I have ever seen on the DIS. I thank you for your message and I know myself that most of my magic has come from the things I have done and the things my wife has done for ourselves when we visit WDW. We give each other magical moments.

Davefrompgh
07-15-2005, 04:01 PM
OMG - Steve...I had no idea that even existed and was totally being facitious..wow...I could definetely handle that....

7th dwarfguy---that sounds like a wonderful idea.....I just got done making some of the best "mousekeeping" envelopes ever.

I downloaded some Disney clipart and made up some clever sayings for each envelope for each day...(i.e dalmation puppy carry a big brown teddy bear--"Mousekeeping, thanks for picking up after us)...I thought they might enjoy these daily "tips"

triplefigs
07-15-2005, 04:02 PM

That is so true! When we go in December, I'm arranging for a few personal "magical" surprises that I'm paying for (anniversary cake, welcome baskets from Feralpeg for the kids, maybe some balloons for DH's b'day). If some extra magic happens, that's a fantastic surprise. But I would never EXPECT it to. So, I'll just take care of it beforehand!

offwegotoneverland
07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
in 4 on site trips I've never gotten a building request I've made..(and when someone can tell me how all wanted so badly to stay in the mighty ducks wing that we were in Herbie's in 2002 I'd love to know?) Every time we make a request we get something different and it always seems to work out.

That said we have two choices for the Poly (based on reasearch and agony of choice from Steve's site). 1st Choice was Toveklau, second was Somoa we ended up in Fiji and loved it a lot!!

What was funnier was I tried all the two weeks before to upgrade to a lagoon view (paying for it I mean!) and then when the CM was checking us in asked if it was possible for us to pay for that and get it then (we had been told it was sold out) when she said well you could but look where you are (Marina view overlooking volcano etc).

Moral of my story the building we got was way better (for me that trip you could be different) than what we had wanted.

Mich Mouse
07-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Is a marina view considered Lagoon view?

Steve, You have created a wonderful resource for all Poly Lovers....I hope that you don't change a thing! :sunny: There will be demanding people at the check in desk, even if they never saw any infomative site about the Poly. We all just need to make up for the poor behavior of others by really appreciating and acknowledging the CM's while we are there.

Thanks, Steve for all your efforts to help us plan our Poly vacations. I am your biggest fan! :wizard:

chamonix
07-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Lots of food for thought on this thread, thanks for starting it, Steve.

I just wanted to add that I have always thought it was a bit odd that so many people here always say that Samoa is such a great building to be in--if it was me, I would never request it, because for my family, it's just too much in the center of the hustle and bustle, and I would hate to overlook the volcano pool (too noisy, no privacy in the room with curtains open, etc) too close to the GCH so no excuse to get that wonderful walk through the beautiful Polynesian grounds or along the beach to get there, etc etc. I can think of many reasons why for my family, Samoa would never be my first choice. My point is, although the Samoa may be "best" for some families, it wouldn't be a good fit for mine. I hope that people take advice here at the DIS and on sites like tikimans with the idea that different families may like different buildings for different reasons. For every family who loves Samoa there's one who loves Tahiti, or Tokelau, or Fiji.

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Steve - I think the idea of not expressing your opinions is contrary to what this forum and many others are all about. Your site is a resource, but first and foremost, it is 'your' site. Your opinions are your own, and honestly, anyone that doesn't realize that is likely to be confused about many other things than what building to stay at in the Polynesian.

Also, of the 800+ rooms at the Polynesian, I would be willing to bet that only a small fraction of guests has based their decisions solely on your websites or postings. To be honest, I went to the Polynesian over 15 times before I knew you had a website (I think you started it within the past five years?). Your site is a great source for people looking for info, but I wouldn't put the blame on yourself for other people's decisions.

By the way, there is another room besides the Ambassador Suite that overlooks dumpsters. It's a second-floor room in Raratonga that face Niue (I think it's # 2802). It sits almost below the walkway that crosses between both buildings and it has no balcony, and right below are large dumpsters (not actually dumpsters but big gray plastic garbage containers). I've often thought that it's a shame that the person who gets that room is paying the same rate as someone who, for instance, gets a partial castle view in Tokelau. Also, parking lot views in Raratonga are pretty poor rooms, in my opinion. I think these descrepencies in rooms of the same rate are what lead people who have experience at the Polynesian to become descriminating and somewhat demanding with building requests. Just a thought. In my view, there is a fairly large range of views within the same rate category, so simply to say pay for what you really want, doesn't really address the issue - when two families are paying the same rate for vastly different room locations, I think the one with the less desirable location will inevitably feel short-changed. Again, this is a reason why Hawaii is desirable, in my opinion - for the most part, you gaurantee what you're getting.

I think there is much more consistency in Lagoon View rooms, but Garden View rooms, in my opinion, can be vastly different from one another. That being said, the good locations greatly outnumber the less than spectacular spots.

Tinkerchele
07-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks Tikiman. I can't believe people actually become irate! :sad2: For my next visit, I may have a request for a longhouse - I actually have quite a few options. But, I will have no expectations (except having a great time as usual! :teeth: ) This will be the first time I may actually request a general location. In the past, I have always taken what was given to me and have always been pleased.

From all I have researched about the Poly (Thanks Tikiman!), there really is no 'bad' location....can't wait!

Sammie
07-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Steve, do not change anything about your site or stop voicing your opinion. As someone stated you have as much right to state yours as anyone else.

I do think though some do put more weight on your recommendations than a review by someone else. I know this was never your intention, but it happens sometime when someone has a wealth of knowledge about a particular subject, they become the expert by default. Comes with the territory I guess. I know there a few regulars on the DVC board that are treated the same way. It is a form of flattery, but I know at times they have to be careful how they word their comments.

If you truly feel that Tokelau and Samoa are number one and two on your list of your favorites then share that.

I personally feel as you do, that there are no bad locations at the Polynesian, only different ones. Each building has much to offer.

However I guess when you state you feel Tokelau has the best garden views offered some might forget that is your opinion and that your liking it does not make it fact.

Don't worry about it just go on as you have and let your Tiki torch burn brightly. :sunny:

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Alohaguy,

I am not sure it those trash containers were temporary when you saw them but there is no garbage storage area over next to Niue. I will check my video footage but as far as I know and looking at the photos of Niue I don't see where those cotainers could be stored if there is no area for them other than sitting out in the walkway. I also disagree (again my opinion) that the view towards the parking lot in Rarotonga is not a bad view at all. In fact only the upper floors can barely see the parking lot past the monorail and the very large garden area. Many love that view just for the monorail.

Actually the staff tells me that about 25% to 40% of the guests that check in mention my site so I would not consider that a small fraction but I would agree that my site would not be all they based their decision on. With that said I am sure you are not the only one who has not found my site.

I think there is much more consistency in Lagoon View rooms, but Garden View rooms, in my opinion, can be vastly different from one another. That being said, the good locations greatly outnumber the less than spectacular spots.

That is a very true statment.

Chamonix,

That is exactly right. To some people Samoa would be the last place they want to be. I even know some people that prefer the rooms I consider the worst which are the garden side of Tuvalu and the parking lot side of Rapa Nui but that does not mean they are crazy or wrong. I am sure the reasons they love it are just as good as the reasons people like their favorite locations. I like the way you put your reply. That is the whole point of this posting other than to give the CMs a break.

I just got this message from the Polynesian about this issue they are having and they hoped that I could do something to help them. I feel informing people will help them. I can’t tell you how many emails I have gotten from them about something and they say that people are getting wrong information or rumors that are not true from the DIS and yes they do specify the DIS. Many of them read the comments in here and they just shake their heads and some of the stuff people come up with. That is not to say there is not just as much good info in here. You just need to do your research and not rely on what people say all the time.

Disneyjosh229
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I think some people have unreal expectations regarding Poly, and Disney in general. I think that when some people spend lots of money on there family vacations, that they think they are some type of "Rock Star" that can do anything they want. Bottom line is, Yes, Disney is expensive and you should'nt go on vacation thinking you can have everything the way YOU want it! If this was so, everyone would be staying in the "Best Rooms" and everyone wouldn't have to wait in long lines. How could a room view "make or break" your vacation so much as to reuin a CM's day over? Its completly obsured. :sad2:

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Tikiman - The area I was referring to is right next to Raratonga, not Niue. There is also some large HVAC equipment in that area. I have seen this on every trip, including just recently in April. Perhaps it is not always garbage in the containers I saw, but nonetheless, it is a less than desirable area, and I think that if you check your footage you'll likely agree.

And about the parking lot views in Raratonga, last time I walked by that building on the parking lot side I felt it was close to the parking area. I think that the views from Aeotearoa are good monorail views and garden views, with traffic and parking only seen in the distance, but Raratonga - particularly on the first floor - leaves something to be desired -- of course, this is my opinion.

Maybe this thread will help clear-up the check-in fracas, but who knows. I think once people stay at the Polynesian more than on time, they form their own opinions regardless of what others say.

Also, if 40% of people checking in report having used your site, that number would have to be somewhere in the 100,000 range or more per year. If that's the case, that's certainly an impressive amount of traffic on your site. Congrats.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Steve, do not change anything about your site or stop voicing your opinion. As someone stated you have as much right to state yours as anyone else.

I do think though some do put more weight on your recommendations than a review by someone else. I know this was never your intention, but it happens sometime when someone has a wealth of knowledge about a particular subject, they become the expert by default. Comes with the territory I guess. I know there a few regulars on the DVC board that are treated the same way. It is a form of flattery, but I know at times they have to be careful how they word their comments.

If you truly feel that Tokelau and Samoa are number one and two on your list of your favorites then share that.

I personally feel as you do, that there are no bad locations at the Polynesian, only different ones. Each building has much to offer.

However I guess when you state you feel Tokelau has the best garden views offered some might forget that is your opinion and that your liking it does not make it fact.

Don't worry about it just go on as you have and let your Tiki torch burn brightly. :sunny:

As always Sammie you make very good points. I always appreciate your opinion even if sometimes I disagree with it (not very often does that happen).

You know when I created the web pages I never intended it to get so big and with that came some responsibility. The one thing I try to always make sure of is that my facts are 100% correct and I would say 90% of my pages are facts with very little opinion. Here is the place for my opinion. I also am in no way the only informed Polynesian visitor. There are many that have been going for many years and even though in some cases I know more about the resort because I research, talk to staff email people involved in the design and construction and just walk the entire place on every trip myself, there are still many out there with a ton of knowledge and helpful opinions that can be considered just as much an expert if not more. I know even by saying that you are right about how some will take my opinion over someone else’s and that is why I try to be careful about how I say some things. That is actually why I list Tokelau as the #1. Not because I would choose it myself as a first choice if I were staying garden view but because it is a good safe selection as far as I am concerned for someone who does not know where they might want to be put. It is central to many things, not too close to noise and not to far from anything and gives you the larger room and balconies on both upper floors. The only other thing most ask for is the double sinks like the newer longhouses have, and other than a handful of test rooms (that I am not even sure still exist) you will only have one sink. Not something I care about but many do. Now my suggestions and opinions on locations are in most cases only if they insist on doing a request but mainly my info is so that when they check in and if they are given a choice to move to something else available they will have done their research and have an educated idea of where they might want to be placed. I know because when I first went I was given a choice of about 3 locations and I had no idea what to choose.

Well thanks again for the response Sammie. I am not letting any of this bother me. I just hope it informs people about a few things and it has spurred on some great responses from the rest of you.

*Fantasia*
07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
To some people Samoa would be the last place they want to be. Samoa wouldn't be on my last list... but I would prefer Fiji!! Or I'll take Aotearoa again (facing away from the monorail) or Tonga! I like walking by the marina.

I'm easy to please. :teeth: As long as my room is nice and clean and no smell, I am very happy!! I have walked around the ground and most of the bldgs are not far from GCH and it is so nice to just stroll around surrounded by tropical plants and flowers. It is so beautiful! There is no building that is undesirable. (Well... except Nuie if you're not a smoker.) They are all great bldgs.

I'm sure that most of us here on the DIS Board very well know that request is just a request. I just wish we can tell all the folks who doesn't know this site that "request" is just that.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Tikiman - The area I was referring to is right next to Raratonga, not Niue. There is also some large HVAC equipment in that area. I have seen this on every trip, including just recently in April. Perhaps it is not always garbage in the containers I saw, but nonetheless, it is a less than desirable area, and I think that if you check your footage you'll likely agree.
I will check. you might be right but I remember standing there on the side between Rarotonga and the GCH for a while talking with a CM and I was facing Rarotonga and I remember nothing but the building and even so how would any room have a view of that if no room faces that side?

And about the parking lot views in Raratonga, last time I walked by that building on the parking lot side I felt it was close to the parking area. I think that the views from Aeotearoa are good monorail views and garden views, with traffic and parking only seen in the distance, but Raratonga - particularly on the first floor - leaves something to be desired -- of course, this is my opinion.

Below is a photo taken not even all the way to the parking lot and there is quite a bit of garden area between the building and the parking lot but maybe not enough in your opinion and I am sure many share your opinion.

http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/rarotonga04c.JPG
http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/files/rarotongaview04.JPG

Maybe this thread will help clear-up the check-in fracas, but who knows. I think once people stay at the Polynesian more than on time, they form their own opinions regardless of what others say.
Very true statment.

Also, if 40% of people checking in report having used your site, that number would have to be somewhere in the 100,000 range or more per year. If that's the case, that's certainly an impressive amount of traffic on your site. Congrats. Well with 52 weeks in a year and people staying in a room for an average of a week (more or less) and the amount of rooms at the Polynesian I total up a little more than 40,000 groups per year checking in. I would not count all number of visitors because in most cases one person per family will be the one visiting my site not each person individually and my tracker says I get about 200 +/- a day of unique visitors which comes out to 73,000 (aprox.) a year for the last 4 years and my counter has been reset since then. either way I am just going by what I am told and I am sure that number is a guess on their part. That is why sometimes I say I have created a monster.Unfortunately becasue of my line of work I have a one track mind for finding out answers.

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Steve - sorry for the back-and-forth - the area I'm talking about is, I believe, right below room 2802 in Raratonga ... this is some sort of mechanical room (just a guess) and I have seen garbage receptacles in front of it on several different trips. Room 2802 (I think) is right above this space, and in my opinion, is less desirable than other areas. But I'm sure others may disagree, I don't know. Maybe someone's stayed there and can tell us. Who knows. Nontheless, there is something atypical in this area, that I think makes for a less than ideal setting.

Also, I think your website is terrific and I admire your dedication to the Polynesian. I myself obviously love it as well, but would never have the patience or the ambition to create a site such as yours.

Also, about Raratonga ... I could post a picture from room 3915 in Tokelau, where the castle is in view just beyond seven seas lagoon, and if put side by side with the above parking lot view, I think most people would think the rooms must be booked at different rates - but they are not... same price, vastly different view. This is true in some garden view rooms, and my only point - that I've been rambling on about perhaps too much - is that I think it is because of this variation within the same rate category that people may get upset.

Keep up the good work, Steve.

Disneyjosh229
07-15-2005, 08:24 PM
I probibly sound like an idiot for asking this, but

What website are you guys talking about?

Thanks Alot...

Jalva22
07-15-2005, 08:26 PM
One of the more interesting threads on the DIS in some time. Tikiman, you do a great job and don't change a thing! We requested and received 3rd floor Samoa overlooking the volcano pool in June. I selected it based on reading the UG, the DIS threads, and Tikiman's site. My kids are 5 and 9 and it was perfect. Close walk to GCH, beautiful view overlooking the pool and boat dock, with a nice view of the GF in the distance. But I've stayed in Rarotonga before and loved it, and can honestly say we would have been fine in any non-smoking longhouse. I think there are plenty of disclaimers on the Disney site, by CM's when calling to arrange a check-in, on the DIS threads, and on Steve's site that requests are not guaranteed. If people get upset about not receiving their longhouse after all that, well, what can a person do? I wouldn't have been upset if I hadn't gotten my request. However, I would have been upset if I had planned for a full year and ended up getting bumped to another resort entirely. I'm sure we would enjoy the GF if that's where they put us, but I don't see any excuse for that. I can't understand how you get an overbook into the system in the first place. Because of rehabs? Surely Disney could plan enough to allow for that. Not a vacation killer, but enough to leave a bad taste in a person's mouth where Disney is concerned. Maybe there's a legit reason, though (a hotelier I'm not).

Anyway, enjoying the thread. Great food for thought. Can't wait to see the Poly again.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Steve - sorry for the back-and-forth - the area I'm talking about is, I believe, right below room 2802 in Raratonga ... this is some sort of mechanical room (just a guess) and I have seen garbage receptacles in front of it on several different trips. Room 2802 (I think) is right above this space, and in my opinion, is less desirable than other areas. But I'm sure others may disagree, I don't know. Maybe someone's stayed there and can tell us. Who knows. Nontheless, there is something atypical in this area, that I think makes for a less than ideal setting.

No need to be sorry Alohaguy. I appreciate the info. You might be right about it. I am not sure I see how someone in Niue would be affected by something off to the side of them but again we don’t know what someone else might think and obviously you would not consider it desirable and your opinion is just as good as anyone.

Also, about Raratonga ... I could post a picture from room 3915 in Tokelau, where the castle is in view just beyond seven seas lagoon, and if put side by side with the above parking lot view, I think most people would think the rooms must be booked at different rates - but they are not... same price, vastly different view. This is true in some garden view rooms, and my only point - that I've been rambling on about perhaps too much - is that I think it is because of this variation within the same rate category that people may get upset.

Keep up the good work, Steve.

I have seen your photo and I thank you because I never realized you could see the castle from that corner. I totally agree that if you compare the south side of Rarotonga with the view from Tokelau you would think that the views should be in different categories. I actually think it is nice to only have two view categories (standard room) unlike at other resorts because than you can look at it as “what a great partial lagoon view I got at a garden view price”. Besides if they re-categorized and charged differently for the parking lot view vs. the pool view I can guarantee that Disney would just increase the cost of the pool view instead of reducing the parking lot view.

Thanks for the input. I really think this is one of the best discussions I have seen here and all the information is helpful with very good opinions.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I can't understand how you get an overbook into the system in the first place. Because of rehabs? Surely Disney could plan enough to allow for that. Not a vacation killer, but enough to leave a bad taste in a person's mouth where Disney is concerned. Maybe there's a legit reason, though (a hotelier I'm not).

Anyway, enjoying the thread. Great food for thought. Can't wait to see the Poly again.

Well the main problem that I was told is that because the rehab of the rooms keeps changing the schedule they do not block of enough rooms ahead of time and so when they change the schedule last minute they end up with less rooms than they have bookings. In the case of Hawaii closing down in September this was a change to the plan they had just last month so they were not prepared to have Hawaii closed. Now they have to move anyone booked during that time. I agree that they needed to plan this better (as they have in past years) but since they cannot seem to plan it well the staff and the guests will suffer. They had the whole schedule outlined last year and the only longhouse that stuck to that date was Tonga. Past years I could give you a schedule months out on what would be closed when but this year I give up on trying to figure out a schedule and I just wait to see when a longhouse closes like Rapa Nui did this week.

tammydel
07-15-2005, 08:57 PM
What I've often noticed from reading people's reports when they return from home...is that many (maybe even most) love whatever location they were given and would request it again.
While I wouldn't argue that there are a few clunckers at any resort, most likely you will love, or at least enjoy your location. As a matter of fact, I can only remember a VERY few times people reporting that they did not like thier location.

My thought would be to give whatever spot a chance and remember you're in Disney World and enjoy. Finally if there is truely something WRONG be polite and reasonable when explaining to CMs. I believe they would rather have you happy with your stay and will do whatever is within reason and in thier power to make you happy.

Three cheers for Steve for all the work he does to keep us informed and in an online "happy place". I can't count the number of people I've sent to your site! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Tammy

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Steve- About that area again - I'm not saying that people in Niue are effected by the mechanical room (or whatever it is), I'm saying that there is a room in Raratonga ( I think 2802) that is right above this area, that would be effected by it.

I'll take a picture of it when I'm there again in five weeks .... and I'll take a picture of anything else you'd like for that matter.

By the way... I think you know my wife... Suzy P.... she's sent you some pictures. I think she's talked to you quit a bit. Keep up the hard work ... your site informs many people.

alohaguy
07-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Just to add more - as if this hasn't been enough - about the overbooking, we were there in April staying in Hawaii, and no rehab was being done except for Tonga, which is all suites. Marilyn, in concierge told us that they were drastically overbooked due to the school breaks in the Northeast - tons of Red Sox hats by the way - and that people were being bumped left and right. I stood and watched while a family that had booked adjoining rooms were told they had to move to the GF because not a single room was available at the Polynesian. I felt for them. I would have been enraged, and you can bet something would have been comped.

I was very surprised that Disney overbooked in this manner ... seems like something Southwest Airlines would do. During the same trip, my brother and sister-in-law were arriving at the Wilderness lodge villas, and were bumped from their room, which had been booked 8 months earlier. My brother-in-law demanded that something be done, and after several hours, a villa miraculously became available.

Moral of the story is, at extremely peak times, bumping occurs. I'd never seen it until last April... but it exists.

Tikiman
07-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Alohaguy,

Oh I see your point. Yeah if that is still there I would not want to look down on that.

Yeah I know Suzy. Thanks for the offer of the photos. If you see any construction going on take some shots for me. I appreciate the offer. My site is only as good as it is with the help of others.

chamonix
07-15-2005, 09:31 PM
What I've often noticed from reading people's reports when they return from home...is that many (maybe even most) love whatever location they were given and would request it again. While I wouldn't argue that there are a few clunckers as any resort, most likely you will love, or at least enjoy your location. As a matter of fact, I can only remember a VERY few times people reporting that they did not like thier location.

tammydel, I completely agree. I have noticed that, and was going to post the same sentiment myself, but ended up editing it out of my last post because it was so long already, LOL!

people were being bumped left and right. I stood and watched while a family that had booked adjoining rooms were told they had to move to the GF because not a single room was available at the Polynesian.
OMG! If this happened to me, I would have to go through the Five Stages of Grief before I could get on with enjoying my vacation! Staying at the Polynesian is very important to us, and having to move to a different resort would nearly be a vacation killer to me--at least for awhile. Seriously, it would be a hard blow to get over! TBH, what would bother me the most is that they could notify you before you arrive so you could prepare yourself, or cancel. I would prefer that option instead of simply being moved upon arrival without much say or choice in the matter.

snowiit
07-15-2005, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=alohaguy].

QUOTE]

Gosh, I stayed in Raratonga last month, parking lot view, first floor and we had a lovely view! You could not see any parking area whatsoever. It was a lovely garden area with beautiful flowers. Watching the monorail was so fun also (no noise either).

Tikiman.. you are a great resource to people! DON'T Change a thing.
I have stayed at the Poly 5 times now with only two of those times being in the same building. This last trip we did request (ahem... I said REQUEST) two different buildings... Raratonga and Samoa.. the reason being my mother has congestive heart failure and walking any distance takes her breath. She wanted to either be near the GCH or Pool where she would be spending most of her time (didn't want to burden us at the parks...silly woman!) Thankfully we did get Raratonga so that worked out. A trip there two years ago with mom we requested close proximity for the same reason through our travel agent.. didn't happen. But if we were just going by ourselves without mom we would go with the luck of the draw. And your site gave us the information about what to request for mom.
The Poly is my FAV place on property.. hope to return there someday soon.. parks or not~!
Mahalo! Nancy :wave2:

*Fantasia*
07-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I think that the views from Aeotearoa are good monorail views and garden views, with traffic and parking only seen in the distance,
True. We like Aeotearoa. We had a nice...very nice view of the tropical plants and flowers and the monorail. We saw very little of the parking lot and yes, only seen in the distance. There was very little... I mean very little foot traffic we saw. It was very quiet, the the exception of the monorail at night. We enjoyed watching the monorail pass us by. I sometimes even waive them "Aloha!" I'm somewhat a lite sleeper, so at night I hear the monorail "swoosh" by. Then it got kind of old... got to me.

No one can go wrong with any bldgs at Poly. It is such a beautiful resort!They can put me on the hammock and I will be happy! I have the best view of everything!!

imatoad
07-16-2005, 05:53 AM
What? So my request for a room with a view of the hula girls at the luau is unrealistic?

Sammie
07-16-2005, 06:57 AM
I probibly sound like an idiot for asking this, but

What website are you guys talking about?

Thanks Alot...

Steve, aka Tikiman, has his own website dedicated to the Polynesian.

alohaguy
07-16-2005, 09:56 AM
snowiit-

I'm glad your stay at Raratonga was enjoyable. I wasn't trying to infer that anyone who stays on the parking lot side of that building will have a bad trip, or not enjoy their room, my only point was that there are a wide range of views and locations for garden view rooms and that I think that is part of what leads to people's frustrations about not receiving their requested building.

Everyone has different tastes and develops different favorite locations when they return to the Polynesian over and over again. I'm glad you had a great trip.

snowiit
07-16-2005, 11:57 AM
snowiit-

I'm glad your stay at Raratonga was enjoyable. I wasn't trying to infer that anyone who stays on the parking lot side of that building will have a bad trip, or not enjoy their room, my only point was that there are a wide range of views and locations for garden view rooms and that I think that is part of what leads to people's frustrations about not receiving their requested building.

Everyone has different tastes and develops different favorite locations when they return to the Polynesian over and over again. I'm glad you had a great trip.

Not a bit of offense taken! I just wanted you to know our experience. I believe it comes down to this..... any day, any location at the Polynesian is sure better than not being there!<G> Had we not gotten our request... we would have just dealt with it and just done our best. I know the cms at check in are trying to do their best for the most part. Have a great day!
Nancy :wave2:

Sammie
07-16-2005, 12:05 PM
The problem with irate guests is they truly have this attitude of, "it's all about me". They don't understand that not everyone can have the same room or even the same building. That on the day you check in, there might not be a single person checking out of Samoa. So no way to give you your request.

As Snowit stated the landscaping is so lush at the Polynesian I do not consider the rooms on the front of the resort to be parking lot.

I do consider them to be very convenient to the GCH, the TTC, and my car when I need it, either from the lot or valet. Believe when it is pouring down rain, or lightning, I love those rooms. :)

Same situation with the closing of concierge during the new rehab. Guests want the rooms to always be fresh, new, and in great repair. Disney World is open 365 days year round. That does not allow any time to do a rehab without inconvenciencing someone. I know it is disappointing when it is you, but that is life. Some make the best of it and see it as a new adventure, some let it ruin everything.

The last time they closed the Hawaii building and moved it to Tahiti, the complaints about it not being a "real" concierge experience were frequent and at times brutal. Guests complained they were paying for concierge and getting some thrown together make do situation. So this time, Disney decided to offer those affected the chance to pick another "real" concierge experience. But they are still upset, so they just can not win. :sad2:

Sammie
07-16-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm sure that most of us here on the DIS Board very well know that request is just a request. I just wish we can tell all the folks who doesn't know this site that "request" is just that.

Fantasia, I am sure that no one participating in this discussion would "pitch a fit" over a room request. But believe me a very large percentage of the trouble makers that Steve is talking about are frequent Internet users. I will be polite and not say they are only DISers.

The non Internet users probably have not done enough research to have an opinion one way or the other and are just thrilled to be there.

Of course I think some of the blame can also go to the guidebooks that label certain views, locations, buildings as completely undesirable.

At least Steve tries to keep his opinions balanced and not completely bash a certain building or location.

JulyGirl
07-16-2005, 01:39 PM
I have been hearing from CMs that people are checking into the Polynesian and when they are not getting their requested longhouse they are getting very irate with the staff. This is not acceptable behavior in my opinion and is leading to bad feelings between CMs and guests. Also how would you like to be the person to check in with a CM after they just got chewed out by someone because they did not get their “REQUEST”?

Bad Disers! Shame on you! :sad2: You got a scolding from the Tikiman! :scared1:

alohaguy
07-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Sammie - I don't know that it's entirely fair to categorize these apparently angry guests as having the attitude of "it's all about me". Everyone, I'm sure, has different reasons for their reactions, and as annoyed as the front desk may be, everyone is entitled to an opinion - they are even entitled to be frustrated - just not to be offensive or obnoxious to CM's who have no role in the situation.

Like I said near the beginning of this thread, I think the people that research hotels, and who stay in the Polynesian often may be the ones that get most upset - and it is my opinion that this comes from the varying locations that are booked at the same rate. You may enjoy the parking side of the Polynesian, but others may think of it as a disappointment - and the fact is, that unless you pay for lagoon view, you have no control over what area of the resort you will be in. If people didn't perceive these differences, and desire one area over the other (based on their own experience or not), then this problem wouldn't exist - but it does.

In my opinion, picking up on what Steve said earlier, I actually do think it would be better for the Polynesian to further delineate their room rates - adding more categories. Maybe pool views and marina views should be more expensive, and that way those who truly want these locations can pay to ensure they will be staying where they truly wish to be. I think that if it was easier for guests to stay in the general area they desired (i.e. marina, pool area versus parking area) then these problems at the front desk may decrease. Just a thought. Hawaii costs more because of the services offered, but also because of it's prime location. People pay the price who want to be there, and they get the peace of mind of knowing that where they will end up is where they wish to be.

Worse than all of this complaining about requests, were the disappointments I witnessed in April of those who were bumped at check-in from Hawaii. They truly had the right to explode, and I didn't blame them one bit.

ufgator
07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Tikiman - please don't change your site or stop giving opinions! Both are really helpful. I used them to help plan my stay there last December. We didn't get any of our requests but we were happy we didn't (we got our second choices). We loved our room and location. It was only the second time I requested something.

While I think you are considered authoritative on the Poly, an opinion is an opinion. Everyone likes different things. I would never want to be in Samoa - I like quiet. While I like reading opinions, DH and I like to try things for ourselves. Some people love certain resorts that others hate and vice versa. It stinks that some people are being rude to the CMs, but please don't change your site because of a few bad apples. :)

Sammie
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Sammie - I don't know that it's entirely fair to categorize these apparently angry guests as having the attitude of "it's all about me". Everyone, I'm sure, has different reasons for their reactions, and as annoyed as the front desk may be, everyone is entitled to an opinion - they are even entitled to be frustrated - just not to be offensive or obnoxious to CM's who have no role in the situation.

Like I said near the beginning of this thread, I think the people that research hotels, and who stay in the Polynesian often may be the ones that get most upset - and it is my opinion that this comes from the varying locations that are booked at the same rate. You may enjoy the parking side of the Polynesian, but others may think of it as a disappointment - and the fact is, that unless you pay for lagoon view, you have no control over what area of the resort you will be in. If people didn't perceive these differences, and desire one area over the other (based on their own experience or not), then this problem wouldn't exist - but it does.

In my opinion, picking up on what Steve said earlier, I actually do think it would be better for the Polynesian to further delineate their room rates - adding more categories. Maybe pool views and marina views should be more expensive, and that way those who truly want these locations can pay to ensure they will be staying where they truly wish to be. I think that if it was easier for guests to stay in the general area they desired (i.e. marina, pool area versus parking area) then these problems at the front desk may decrease. Just a thought. Hawaii costs more because of the services offered, but also because of it's prime location. People pay the price who want to be there, and they get the peace of mind of knowing that where they will end up is where they wish to be.

Worse than all of this complaining about requests, were the disappointments I witnessed in April of those who were bumped at check-in from Hawaii. They truly had the right to explode, and I didn't blame them one bit.

Well that is where we differ. No one in my opinion has a reason to "explode" over a change in a hotel room. To me that is a example of someone that has the attitude that it is all about them. Disney does not want to make anyone unhappy. It is not good business. Stuff happens. Yes it might be disappointing, but it is not life threatening, therefore to me no reason to have a come apart over it.

I don't think the CMs who contacted Steve were talking about guests who are not being offensive or obnoxious.

mermaidlagoon
07-16-2005, 09:53 PM

I agree that these people may have a right to be upset, but the CM's are not the same as CRO and can only try to give you what their computer says is available at the time of your check-in. They don't make the original room assignments. It is really not fair to take your anger out on them in front of the children, yours and mine. It is not exactly what people expect to hear and see while they are waiting in line for their magical experience. The CM's try their best to please each and every guest. They are not out to ruin your vacation. There are some things that are truly out of their control.

If you have a complaint write to this address: Walt Disney World Guest Communications, P.O. Box 10040, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000 and give the CM the compliment and appreciation they deserve.

However, if they get enough complaints of this nature, they may stop requests altogether. If you acted like that at an airport, you wouldn't fly.

Gee, I don't know about you, but about 90% of the time I am in the room, the lights are out and I have my eyes closed. Most of the rest of the time we are getting ready to go somewhere else. So, pick your battles. Some may have more merit than others.

:drinking1 So check out the Tambu Lounge and have a Lapu Lapu!

Can't wait to be there. Can't you just taste it! ;)

alohaguy
07-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Sammie -
Actually, I don't think we differ at all...

My point is this... for those people who check-in to the Polynesian bringing only knowledge they've gleamed from this forum or others, and decide to berate the front desk CM's for not getting a building they probably have no actual experience with in the first place - then clearly their behavior is out of line. Do I think they deserve to be taken out back and disciplined? No, but it is unproductive and fruitless, and I would not choose that route of behavior.

For those who frequent the Polynesian often, and have come to desire certain locations, then I can understand some of their frustrations.

Let me make this clear, though, there is no reason to launch an attack at the CM's at check-in - If for no other reason than it doesn't get you anywhere. If a building is booked, it is booked, and that's it. No amount of ranting will get you a room that is occupied by someone else. So there's truly no point.

I think the bottom line is that in the summer months don't expect a building request to be honored. If you have to know where you're going to be, pay for a lagoon view room because they are more consistent (in my opinion). Or, if your budget allows, book Hawaii or Tonga - there will be no debate. Otherwise, when the Polynesian is at, or close to, 100% occupancy, you are entered into their 'lottery', and deal with what you're given.

For me, the room I book is more than just a place to sleep, it is a major part of my vacation. I have been to WDW enough times that I don't feel the need to be at the parks from dawn 'till dusk. I know others are the same way. The Polynesian itself is a very large part of my family's trips, and our room location actually is a fairly large issue in determining our satisfaction. That is not to say that you will have a bad trip in any Polynesian rooms, but when spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, I think it is actually fairly commonplace to expect that the trip is "all about me". When I go on vacation, it is precisely because I want to escape my everyday life and pamper myself and my family. While I know we are still on the planet earth and reality is what it is, expectations will always be higher for vacationers, and at Disney prices, they always will be that way.

alohaguy
07-17-2005, 12:15 AM
By the way... how come no one seems to have an opinion about the bumping that takes place during the crowded months? To me, this is a BIG concern. I just find it interesting that more people aren't disturbed by this. Makes me nervous, but I guess maybe you have to witness it to make it actually seem as nerve-wracking as it is.

I'll always be wondering where I'll end up if I go in April again.

lagunaseca
07-17-2005, 01:45 AM
A little bit of knowledge can be a bad thing for some people I suppose. Most here appreciate it but it seems others (and not those from just this site) come to expect everything they've read "might" happen to happen for them. Tikiman, it isn't your fault for just sharing your insight and opinions. Remember when Deb had to put a disclaimer on her site and the menu page for Whispering Canyon Cafe since some people were throwing fits over not getting the multiple straws, ketchup, giant drinks, and their dh's weren't called up sing, "I'm a little teacup." :rotfl2: I'm sure all of that is fun but I don't choose to blow my top on vacation. On our last trip we stayed at the BWI and had a standard room reserved. When we checked in I very politely asked if there was anything other better than an entrance/parking lot view and she gave us a gorgeous garden view. Yes, I was happy but if she had said no go I would have said nothing since I didn't pay for a special view. I could offer her cookies and a manicure but if there is no room available there's no room! If someone gets a room they don't like I can see requesting a change. Maybe travel wears people down but I see as many adults having melt downs in WDW lately as kids. :confused3

Sammie
07-17-2005, 07:43 AM
By the way... how come no one seems to have an opinion about the bumping that takes place during the crowded months? To me, this is a BIG concern. I just find it interesting that more people aren't disturbed by this. Makes me nervous, but I guess maybe you have to witness it to make it actually seem as nerve-wracking as it is.

I'll always be wondering where I'll end up if I go in April again.

As to bumping, I don't think it is an everyday, frequent occurance at Disney. I know in any travel industry it happens.

I guess my take is that while my vacation is important to me, it is no vacation if I get so upset about something out of my control. And (mermaidlagoon stated it very well), the person who is the on receiving of all that anger did not make the decision to bump the guest he or she is having to deal with. So I don't find coming apart at the Front Desk to be productive or necessary. Things happen, if I can't change them, I try to deal with them calmly. Yes Disney vacations are expensive, but so are all vacations. I don't find my Disney vacations anymore expensive than going somewhere else.

The person at the Front Desk is just the messenger. I see no reason to berate them and have a hissy fit over something they did not do.

As I stated in my earlier post, none of it is life threatening so I don't let it upset me. As long as they move me to another Disney resort comparable in price and amenties or upgrade me, I would be happy as could be. :flower:

I would simply see it as an unplanned new adventure. Life is too short to get upset over such. And as stated by Lagunaseca, seems lately there are way too many meltdowns by adults at Disney World acting worse than the kids.

gepetto
07-17-2005, 09:59 AM
As I stated in my earlier post, none of it is life threatening so I don't let it upset me. As long as they move me to another Disney resort comparable in price and amenties or upgrade me, I would be happy as could be.

You're kidding, right? $400-$600/night is quite a lot of money to spend only to be told at check-in "sorry, we don't have a room for you". :confused3 Plus the months of trip planning involved. :sad2:

In any case, we've never gotten our building requests on our non-concierge stays. The rooms assigned were always fine. I do agree with having a different tier of pricing for the pool and marina views.

tone.def
07-17-2005, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=gepetto]You're kidding, right? $400-$600/night is quite a lot of money to spend only to be told at check-in "sorry, we don't have a room for you". :confused3 Plus the months of trip planning involved. :sad2:

Upgrade me to the Grand Floridian and I'd be happy!

alohaguy
07-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Sammie - I'm not in any way advocating that people should have "meltdowns" (as you say) at the front desk. I'm simply saying that for those who have experience with the Polynesian, I can understand some of the factors that lead to disappointment when room assignments are not where you'd like them to be. It's up to the individual to behave how they see fit after that.

I wonder if more people agree with gepetto and I about including more tiers for room selection. I think this would take care of some of the problems.

And I don't find Disney trips to be more expensive than travel to other destinations, I just find less service for the price, but I have become accustomed to that. I find myself repeatedly returning to WDW in spite of the service I receive, instead of because of it. Just my opinion. Nonetheless, at the rack rates they charge, I would be extremely upset to show up and be bumped at check-in. I know this is not an everyday occurance, but that's really no excuse, in my book. When my brother-in-law got bumped from a WLV, he calmly told them that if that was the case, his entire trip would be comped and they would take a suite at another hotel. Within two hours, a villa miraculously opened-up for them - you can only assume that someone else was bumped who hadn't checked in yet. But he didn't explode on anyone, just demanded what he thought was fair.

Sammie
07-17-2005, 01:09 PM
You're kidding, right? $400-$600/night is quite a lot of money to spend only to be told at check-in "sorry, we don't have a room for you". :confused3 Plus the months of trip planning involved. :sad2:

In any case, we've never gotten our building requests on our non-concierge stays. The rooms assigned were always fine. I do agree with having a different tier of pricing for the pool and marina views.

No I am not kidding at all. I have recently had several close friends die unexpectedly at a very young age. It has given me a new perspective on what is really important.

Regardless of the cost of the room, I would never pitch a fit over being moved to something comparable. I would not accept something less than I had paid for but another resort on the same level would not be something I would get upset over.

I would gladly move to the Grand Floridian.

Sammie
07-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Sammie - I'm not in any way advocating that people should have "meltdowns" (as you say) at the front desk. I'm simply saying that for those who have experience with the Polynesian, I can understand some of the factors that lead to disappointment when room assignments are not where you'd like them to be. It's up to the individual to behave how they see fit after that.

I wonder if more people agree with gepetto and I about including more tiers for room selection. I think this would take care of some of the problems.

And I don't find Disney trips to be more expensive than travel to other destinations, I just find less service for the price, but I have become accustomed to that. I find myself repeatedly returning to WDW in spite of the service I receive, instead of because of it. Just my opinion. Nonetheless, at the rack rates they charge, I would be extremely upset to show up and be bumped at check-in. I know this is not an everyday occurance, but that's really no excuse, in my book. When my brother-in-law got bumped from a WLV, he calmly told them that if that was the case, his entire trip would be comped and they would take a suite at another hotel. Within two hours, a villa miraculously opened-up for them - you can only assume that someone else was bumped who hadn't checked in yet. But he didn't explode on anyone, just demanded what he thought was fair.

You stated in an earlier post
Quote:Worse than all of this complaining about requests, were the disappointments I witnessed in April of those who were bumped at check-in from Hawaii. They truly had the right to explode, and I didn't blame them one bit.

Melt down, pitching a fit, "right to explode" are all to me unacceptable behavior. I do understand your comments about the room teirs at the Polynesian and at one time they had Lagoon, Garden, and Standard aka Parking Lot. They have since removed Parking Lot from all the resort listings. Maybe they should have left it, I don't know.

alohaguy
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
My point was that I understand the frustration guests would feel if they check-in and are told there is no room for them at the hotel they booked. To me this would be an issue I would expect compensation for ... that's my opinion. "Right to explode", etc. ... however I worded it, all I meant was I understand their anger. Everyone reacts differently. People get angry in all sorts of situations that others might not - that's also a fact of life, just as is not getting a request granted.

Also, no one has mentioned the fact that the original buildings at the Polynesian do not have balconies on their second floor. I think this is another area that potentially leads to disappointed guests. While I'm sure some prefer these non-balcony rooms for their own reasons, I would bet that just as many, if not more, feel somewhat slighted when their neighbors above and below have more space for themselves. To me, this is another reason for more tiers (though I know they won't do it.) If there was a way to pay for a room with a balcony or patio, then if one wasn't available, you'd know it before you checked-in, and there would be no disappointment.

For instance - someone paying garden rate can get either a 450 sq. ft. room in Tokelau with a balcony and a partial lagoon view, or a 400 sq. ft. room in Raratonga with no balcony and a parking view. In my opinion, they shouldn't be at the same rate. And even in Hawaii this balcony issue arises. In a perfect world I'd have wished that during these room re-habs, they would have wrapped balconies around the second floors of all the old buildings. I understand they were built without them in an effort to be authentic to Polynesian architecture, but in terms of hotel rooms I think it was a poor move, and that's why on the newer ones there are balconies on all rooms.

Maybe the problems at the front desk ARE because internet users are taking information from this and other sights too much to heart ... or, maybe the rate system at the Polynesian is somewhat to blame. Don't know. But I'd like to see it changed - though I don't expect it to ever happen.

gepetto
07-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Melt down, pitching a fit, "right to explode" are all to me unacceptable behavior.

However, if I were taking a once in a lifetime trip and my big dream was to stay at Polynesian concierge, I would be having a very long discussion with a manager. I don't think it's fair to take it out on the front desk staff. They didn't cause the problem, nor can they solve it.

A lot of parents of young children prefer the rooms without a balcony or patio. :flower:

We've gotten one of the Raratonga "parking lot view" rooms in the past and really enjoyed it. We really couldn't see much of the parking lot through all of the foliage, just the monorail. It was also very convenient to the GCH. :wizard:

jimmalru80
07-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Steve;
Six previous trips to the Polynesian (Samoa, Tokelau (2), Aotearoa (2), and Rapa Nui). NEVER requested a room and ALWAYS had a tremendous time. Everything is soooo close, and walking around the grounds was always a pleasure. As the kids got older, they wanted to re-orient to the Epcot resort area, thus our recent stays at the BC. We will return to our "true home", the Polynesian, in the near future.

Sammie
07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
However, if I were taking a once in a lifetime trip and my big dream was to stay at Polynesian concierge, I would be having a very long discussion with a manager. I don't think it's fair to take it out on the front desk staff. They didn't cause the problem, nor can they solve it.

A lot of parents of young children prefer the rooms without a balcony or patio. :flower:

We've gotten one of the Raratonga "parking lot view" rooms in the past and really enjoyed it. We really couldn't see much of the parking lot through all of the foliage, just the monorail. It was also very convenient to the GCH. :wizard:

This we agree on. I like Raratonga, especially in the middle of a Florida thunderstorm :umbrella: and I need to get to the GCH or valet parking. :)

Rozzie
07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
No I am not kidding at all. I have recently had several close friends die unexpectedly at a very young age. It has given me a new perspective on what is really important.

Thanks Sammie for saying this. I get so frustrated on the DIS sometimes when people have meltdowns over the most insignificant stuff. I think people who want to have meltdowns over room assignments should come to work with me and be around people fighting for their life...

Steve, thanks for your website. Even though we won't be at Poly except for special occassions since we now are in DVC, I will always come and visit your site when I need some "Tikitime". I can smell the lobby now. :goodvibes

Bride In The Attic
07-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I do agree with having a different tier of pricing for the pool and marina views.

If I remember right there did used to be 3 different categories/pricing for rooms at the Poly...Lagoon View, Water View and Garden View..water view was a view of the pools and was priced in between lagoon and garden views.

In my many, many times at the Poly we've never had a bad view and I am just so thankful to be there I can't even imagine getting angry about ANY room location on that property! :sunny:

imatoad
07-18-2005, 06:53 AM
I've worked in customer service my entire adult life, and the number one rule as a guest is, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Anyone working on the "other" side of the counter is going to be much more likely to help if you present your problem in a courteous manner. You are on vacation, and you've shelled out a bunch of money, that doesn't give you the privilege of being rude and confrontational. Yes, there are those times when you might have to take it to the next level, believe me, I've been there (just try cancelling you AOL service). Remember, these are CM's, not magicians that can wave the magic wand and make it all better.

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 08:57 AM
I don't think anyone posting on this thread, including me, has in anyway suggested that people should launch needless attacks at the CM's upon check-in. My only points have been towards understanding why guests are frustrated in the first place, and I believe some of it is due to the Polynesian's rate system.

And Gepetto, your point about people with young children prefering not to have a balcony or patio is very valid ... but wouldn't it be nice to be able to gaurantee you get that type of room? Just as I would love to be able to even pay a bit more to gaurantee that I do get a balcony or patio. Just my opinion.

lovesdumbo
07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Also, no one has mentioned the fact that the original buildings at the Polynesian do not have balconies on their second floor. I think this is another area that potentially leads to disappointed guests. While I'm sure some prefer these non-balcony rooms for their own reasons, I would bet that just as many, if not more, feel somewhat slighted when their neighbors above and below have more space for themselves.

I've only stayed Concierge at the Poly so I've never requested a specific longhouse but I would think that some folks would be better off requesting "prefer 3rd floor...." to requesting a specific building. I would think they'd stand a better chance of getting what they want if the balcony was important to them. I did actually request (and got) 2nd floor in the HI building for 2 of my stays with small children. I didn't want them to be able to walk out of the room on the patio (and prefer more privacy) and didn't feel comfortable with them on the balcony and wanted to be conveniently located on the same floor as the lounge. On our last trip I did request and was happy to receive 3rd floor but would have been satisfied with 2nd floor and would have probably loved 1st floor but happy that I didn't get it to find out.

I also agree that it is one thing to not have your request for a specific longhouse met and another thing to have paid for say concierge and then show up and be bumped. That would upset me, certainly not as much as loosing a friend, but it would be upsetting. When traveling with a cranky DH who doesn't travel well and 3 small children it can be a bit harder to view it as an opportunity to discover something new. I don't believe I would be exploding on the CM delivering the message but would want to discuss it with the manager if I didn't believe they were offering me something simular.

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
I would think that some folks would be better off requesting "prefer 3rd floor...." to requesting a specific building. I would think they'd stand a better chance of getting what they want if the balcony was important to them. .

This is very true. It is always more likely to have your request honored if it is more broad. I think, however, in the summer months and other very peak times, any request at all has a good chance of not being granted ... just too many people to give everyone their first choice.

jlowejd5
07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I've never been to the Poly, but will be there in 229 days (not that I'm counting). I had pretty much decided that that was where we were going to spend the front end of the Land/Sea, but when I see stuff like Tikiman's site (awesome, and thank you) it just cements it in my head.

That said, I think the only thing that would bug me is if they bumped me to a different resort entirely. I have no basis to know what's a "good" or "not as good" longhouse, so I'll hush.

I mean, heck, when we stayed at the BC a couple of years ago, we scampered up to our room, excited as monkeys, threw open the blinds and were greeted with a spectacular view of...

the construction of the BCV.

But ya know what? A couple of the construction guys saw us, and waved with a big smile on their face. So every morning, we'd get ready, open up, and holler "mornin!" at our new friends. It's Disney, folks. I'd have stayed in a sleeping bag in the the half-finished BCVs if they'd asked me to.

disneyw/kids
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
We were in the Rapa Nui building facing the parking lot on our first Poly stay, and I had no idea about the different buildings and such and we checked in very late so we took what we got, I did not even look at the map to see about requesting a different longhouse.
I was disappointed at first how far it was from the pool, but it was very close to the car which DH liked, and such a short walk to the TTC which made our evening trips to Epcot nice with our DD.
The funny thing is if we had not of booked Lagoon view this time (Dec trip) then my husband said he would like to stay in Rapa Nui again.
We loved the Poly and we made the best of our trip and we never thought twice about our view (except that we wished we had booked lagoon view, but we booked garden since it was a short weekend).

We also stayed at the GF and I had requested a building and when we got there we were assigned the building that according to the majority on the DIS the "worst" building (if there is such at the GF). I was a little disappointed but did not even ask to move to another building when we checked in. When we go to the room we had an awesome view of the Monorial and the lake and there were ducks in the lake which DD loved. We fell in love with this location and we requested it on our 2nd visit to GF. On our 2nd visit we got this building but had a view of the marina/boat dock which I wished we had the monorail again. But we loved the side we were on after our visit.

I guess my point like others have said is that we just are so excited to stay at Disney and especially on the monorail I would never think of complaining about my room unless something was actually wrong with the room.

Tikiman
07-18-2005, 10:41 AM
but wouldn't it be nice to be able to gaurantee you get that type of room? Just as I would love to be able to even pay a bit more to gaurantee that I do get a balcony or patio. Just my opinion.

You know my initial thought was that I would hate to see a bunch of categories or room view because it would just complicate things but the more I think about it I have to agree that it would be nice to pay for exactly what you want. I think when we stayed in Maui once there were about 7 levels of room and view and we knew we were paying for a larger room and a great view. We also knew exactly what building we were going to be in so we knew we would be close to the parking and the beach.

I guess they could charge for a room with either a balcony and a patio and a reduced price would be for a room with no balcony which some people might want and they could save the money. Also for those who would not mind a parking lot view than they could book that room and save on the cost of a garden. I could also see there being a cost reduction in a garden view room that only looks at garden areas and it not looking at a pool or a partial lagoon.

I know when I book a lagoon view room I only have a certain amount of locations to be placed and my view might vary slightly but I will always be looking towards the lagoon (remember it is not called a castle view). I can see it would ease the worry of some and save them some money if these other view categories were created.

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Tikiman,

I completely agree ... and I actually think this might help reduce 'episodes' at the front-desk, because people will arrive already knowing what they're getting. I would enjoy that peace of mind. I think that there should at least be a price difference between non-balcony and balcony or patio rooms, both standard and concierge ... I have never seen a hotel outside of disney that would not differentiate between the two. And I wouldn't mind paying a slightly higher cost to know well ahead of time that I was getting exactly what I wanted.

But, like you said earlier, you know they wouldn't lower the rates for the non-balcony rooms, they would just raise everything else. Even still, I'd be in favor of it.

Disneyjosh229
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
What about an Online Room Selection, like Airline Seat Selection? 90 days in advanced, you can log on, see the avaliable rooms in your "reserved catagory" and choose the room you want? That way, everyone would know what to expect when they check in, and can't blame it on the CM.

Tikiman
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Does Beach Club treat their rooms with balconies and w/o balconies any different? Just curious if anyone knows. That was one of the reasons we tried the YC instead of the BC was because all the YC rooms had balconies.

This is how the Sheraton Maui does their rooms

Room Category Rate
Garden View $360
Mountain View $385
Partial Ocean View* $455
Ocean View $530
Ocean Front $590
Deluxe Ocean $600
Deluxe Ocean Front $640

You can even select by map your location and see the rate.

http://www.sheraton-maui.com/acc.htm

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 11:18 AM
What about an Online Room Selection, like Airline Seat Selection? .

My wife has frequently suggested the same thing to me ... just like cruise lines where you can pick the exact cabin you will be in online. Maybe this would only work if deposits were non-refundable. I think it would be worth looking into though.

Maybe they will start to address this issue since they are having so many problems with angry check-ins. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Lewisc
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Everyone is on the cruise for the same number of nights. Some airlines let us pick our own seats but everyone is on the same flight.

People check in to hotels 7 days a week and stay for different number of nights. Reserving a specific room wouldn't work well. If my stay ends Sunday night and you requested the exact same room Wed Disney may have to leave that room empty for two nights unless they happen to find a guest who wants that room for exactly 2 nights. I guess you could only offer that option to guests who book for 7 nights. Similar problem if instead of picking the exact room you put the room into categories with only a limited number of rooms in each category.

Disney had multiple room categories in the POLY and stopped it. I suspect it didn't work. Think about the combinations. Charge extra for the partial LV rooms. Charge more for a balcony, less for a patio and still less for a room with neither.

When the resorts are booking close to 100% the less desirable rooms get rented and some guests aren't going to be happy.

That said Disney shouldn't be overbooking the concierge rooms. There are very few upgrades that would satisfy those guests.

Maybe the answer is just designate a couple of longhouses as preferred and charge a premium, as is being doing with the value resorts. Let's make it simple, charge extra for the longhouses that are recommended on Steve's site. ;)

Tikiman
07-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Everyone is on the cruise for the same number of nights. Some airlines let us pick our own seats but everyone is on the same flight.

People check in to hotels 7 days a week and stay for different number of nights. Reserving a specific room wouldn't work well. If my stay ends Sunday night and you requested the exact same room Wed Disney may have to leave that room empty for two nights unless they happen to find a guest who wants that room for exactly 2 nights. I guess you could only offer that option to guests who book for 7 nights. Similar problem if instead of picking the exact room you put the room into categories with only a limited number of rooms in each category.

Disney had multiple room categories in the POLY and stopped it. I suspect it didn't work. Think about the combinations. Charge extra for the partial LV rooms. Charge more for a balacony, less for a patio and still less for a room with neither.

When the resorts are booking close to 100% the less desirable rooms get rented and some guests aren't going to be happy.

That said Disney shouldn't be overbooking the concierge rooms. There are very few upgrades that would statisfy those guests.

That is why I think it would have to be in room catagories and not selecting an exact room.

The Polynesian did have more catagories but it stopped in the mid 90's and if I remember correctly the conversation it was to make things easier.

I myself woud pay more for a ground level room over a balcony. I use to love the upper floors but once I started getting a patio I was hooked on the room to stretch out and walk to the beach.

Aloha

Steve

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I think all you'd need to do is just split the current categories into non-balcony and balcony/patio, and add a pool/marina category to garden view. It could be broken down further, but probably would be cumbersome. It wouldn't gaurantee everyone ended up where they wanted, but I bet a lot less people would be disappointed at check-in.

Tikiman
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
I would just add to that a reduced rate for the one side of Rapa Nui that is looking right at the Parking lot. I don’t see the Rarotonga rooms as being like that since many love it for the view of the monorail and there is much more of a garden area between it and the parking lot. I am sure many would be happy to get those rooms and not pay as much as someone getting a room looking at a nice garden area.

BCV23
07-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I haven't read this whole thread but am just jumping in on the category discussion.

I actually think it is better to just leave it garden/lagoon. I remember the old categories too which changed more than once since we've been staying there. I think it has to be easier for room assigners now.

The only exception that I would make if I were queen is those rooms that Steve is talking about in Rapa Nui. Maybe a standard room rate there?

Personally, I wonder if it is the newbies to the Polynesian who are the most demanding. They read raves about the resort, build up a perfect room, view and vacation in their minds and are disappointed if it isn't exactly what they imagine.

At any rate, I too would not request a particular room....heck we don't even request a particular longhouse although we do request first floor. :sunny:

Lewisc
07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
AFAIK Disney doesn't currently assign rooms this way but they could just assign the less desirable rooms, Rapa Nui in the POLY for example, to the guests who have booked the lowest rates. That would be CM, FL or AP rates. It makes some sense to allocate the "better" rooms to the guests who're paying rack rate and give the lesser view rooms to the guests booking deeply discounted rates.

Some airlines base bumping order on the fare paid. Full fare business travelers are more likely to get a free upgrade to business class or even first class. Many hotels assign substandard rooms to PL customers. Some of Vegas hotels assign guests who book the internet specials the less desirable rooms.

Tikiman
07-18-2005, 04:36 PM
AFAIK Disney doesn't currently assign rooms this way but they could just assign the less desirable rooms, Rapa Nui in the POLY for example, to the guests who have booked the lowest rates. That would be CM, FL or AP rates. It makes some sense to allocate the "better" rooms to the guests who're paying rack rate and give the lesser view rooms to the guests booking deeply discounted rates.

Some airlines base bumping order on the fare paid. Full fare business travelers are more likely to get a free upgrade to business class or even first class. Many hotels assign substandard rooms to PL customers. Some of Vegas hotels assign guests who book the internet specials the less desirable rooms.

There is a similar thing that can happen at the Polynesian. It happened to us. We had paid full rate for a lagoon view room and since there was some overbooking of lagoon view rooms by Expedia they stuck those people with the discounts in the not so good lagoon view rooms and upgraded us to concierge lagoon view rooms since we paid full price so they do look at what you paid I just don’t know how often they do.

BCV23
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
But by giving the worse rooms to those with AP rates, you could end up penalizing loyal visitors.

The airlines have systems in place to reward frequent fliers. WDW hotels don't as far as I know.

We stay at the Polynesian 3 or 4 times a year at this point in our lives and almost always are using an AP rate. I would hope that we would not get stuck with parking lot views as a result.

So far though we've always been very lucky with our room assignments (although never an upgrade like Tikiman). So perhaps frequent guests are rewarded that way.

chamonix
07-18-2005, 05:34 PM
the guests who have booked the lowest rates. That would be CM, FL or AP rates.
Yes, I agree with BCV that policy wouldn't make sense. If you consider those who pay the "lowest rates" as the "lowest customer" if that customer is an AP holder doesn't hold up. It makes more sense, as tikiman said, they bumped them up, to accommodate the people who booked the "lowest rate" on Expedia (they have to make those decisions somehow). Big difference between rewarding frequent and high paying guests (both--AP guests spend more because they visit more) and "penalizing" those who score a deal. (lucky them!)

I think it's unfortunate that the Poly can't figure out just who exactly are those folks for whom a room is "just a place to sleep" (so they wouldn't mind a poor view) and those folks (like myself) for whom the room/view are important. Ah, to be in a perfect world!!

alohaguy
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
I have gone on AP rates on probably 75% of my trips and have almost always gotten my requested building. It would be interesting to know if discount rates actually do play an important role in their decision-making. Seems to me that it would just be another issue to keep track of in a system they already may find unwieldy. It would certainly be disappointing that AP'ers that travel to disney multiple times a year have lesser standing than those that go once a year, or less.

I still vote for rate category change - so many hotels I've stayed at have far more rate teirs than the Polynesian - it can't be that hard ... but who knows.

And I agree about Rapa Nui ... these truly are undisputably parking lot views. In my opinion, they are far less desirable than just about any other room at the Polynesian. But you never know, someone will likely come along and tell me they love this view because they were traumatized by foliage as a child and feel more comfortable close to asphalt ... (a joke, obviously) ... but my point is someone will say they had a great trip in parking lot view rooms in Rapa Nui, but I think it is unfair that they paid the same price as someone in a much better setting.

eclectics
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I booked a 10 night Garden View stay for September. I asked my TA to request Tahiti upper floor. Will I get upset if I don't get it? Heck no! I'm so excited to finally be staying at the Poly (my first time there!) :goodvibes , as long as there is some sort of foliage in front of my sliding door, I don't care what room they put me in. I would prefer the location of Tahiti, but no building is important enough to throw a tantrum on the lobby floor. :teeth:

Emmaline Lola
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
when we check in...I sure do hope we are not facing the dumpsters... :laughing: ..Come on people...CM's are people too.... :love2:

personally speaking, during my days at the front desk at the Dolphin, when a guest was irate over "requests" during check in I made sure they were in room 1001, this is worse than a "dumpster double", this room is in the "bowels" of the hotel.

Now if guests checking in were nice, and paying for a standard room, they would be the guests in a balcony room w/ fireworks view! I loved those guests just happy to be there!

Be nice to the hotel staff, it will pay off!

happy day!

el

mkymouse4ever
07-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Well we are Very happily down to 29 days till "Poly" :flower: And I did first request Samoa volcano pool :earseek: BUT, have since changed it. Doesn't matter all that much, we requested it at first because we have never gotten it. (never requested it either, thou). In all of our stays that is one of the few views, we haven't gotten. :confused3 Figure if everyone is requesting that, we might as well plan on something else. I just left it open. 1st floor with patio, non- smoking. We can be surprised. :sunny: Any view is great. We enjoy trying out all the different building, and finding out what is special in each one. Each has good and bad points. So far we have been in: Aortoraoa monorail view, Figi marina view :wizard: , Raroatonga monorail view, Tahiti gv & lv, Tokelau pool view, Hawawii pool view. So far our favorite is figi. the cm's in that building where very special and the marina view is a great gv!

I really could not image, thinking that picking on a cm is going to get me a better room selection? No logic there? :rolleyes: All around a bad choice.

Unfortunately, You are correct, this is not just a probablem at the Polynesian. If you read any thread on any resort, and this is not just on the dis, this is any disney type web site. People just want to know, and ask for "the best", the question of which room, view, area, section, building? to request is listed. So, this is probably a disney wide problem for the cm's.

Aloha, Mky! princess: