PDA

View Full Version : Buying Golf Clubs????

mrsminniemouse
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
DH has just started to play golf. He has booked some lessons and would like to buy a set of golf clubs.

We are going to WDW in September. Is it a good idea to buy them while we are in Orlando? Can we bring them home with Virgin as part of our baggage allowance? Any tips on where to buy them?

Many thanks,
Mandy ::MinnieMo

LeCras
07-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I'd say it's definitely a good idea to buy clubs in Orlando as they are considerably cheaper in the US - you pay about the same in USD as you would in GBP. DH and I bought clubs there a few years ago - we went to one of the Edwin Watts stores and were impressed with the selection they offered. We were able to try the clubs before buying and got good deals on golf bags as well.

One thing to be aware of: you should pay import duty on good worth over 145. This still makes it cheaper than in the UK. Of course, the decision of whether or not to declare the clubs would be yours (well, your DH's anyway)... :rolleyes1

Oh, and I no longer play golf so if you decide to take it up: let me know if you want a good deal on a set of Lady Cobras complete with matching head covers and bag! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hope that helps,

Charlotte

wicket2005
07-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I think they would be only classed as your baggage if they came within your total weight allowance but have a look on the Virgin site.

kristieuk
07-13-2005, 10:24 AM
A lot of the airlines are now realising they can claw back some of their profits in charging extra for golf bags. I have to say that with BA and American Airlines we have never been asked to pay any extra, but I know that Easyjet have started charging 10 e/w, and I have a friend that flew to Sydney with Quantas earlier this year as she does every year. No charge on the way out, but 15 per kilo on the way back (she weighed her bag - 10 kilos!) She wasn't even over her allowance, it was because they were outsized baggage! She argued her case and didn't pay, but a man on her flight who boarded in Bangkok was made to pay.

I would ask Virgin before you go so you know the worst to expect, but I think it's hit and miss and depends if you're lucky not be asked.

I would always try to be sure you are inside your total baggage allowance including the clubs, but I do think this is starting to be a bit of a problem area.

PS I don't play golf, but my partner does, and they are definitely cheaper over there!

Obi Wan Kenobi
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
See the Virgin info, which is on another post in this section.
also, if you can buy your golf bag and some cheap clubs, take them out and then bring the new clubs back (you went out with clubs, you came back with clubs :-)

Clare D
07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Mandy what have you let yourself in for? In this weather I do not recognise my DH when he comes homes as he is always on the golf course :rotfl: I can't wait until my DS is old enough to play so then I can have weekends to myself again.
Enjoy
Clare a.k. Golf Widow :rotfl2:

LeCras
07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
also, if you can buy your golf bag and some cheap clubs, take them out and then bring the new clubs back (you went out with clubs, you came back with clubs :-)

Alternatively, use the clubs in the US so that customs can clearly see they are not new... :rolleyes1 Not saying that's what we did... Well, actually... :rotfl2:

To be fair I think customs have better things to worry about than golf clubs though.

Charlotte

kristieuk
07-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Golf is my new favourite sport - not that I play it, but the Intended played in a charity day last week, hit a hole in one on a par three and won us a luxury holiday in Spain (wish it was Florida though ;) !!)

Shropshire Saint
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
My brother-in-law bought some in June at Edwin Watts & we flew Virgin. I checked before we flew if a charge would be levied, it wasnt. Also customs was'nt a problem as he bough a flight bag also. We did pretend to use them on the grass so they looked used just in case.
If he wants some cheap golf gear try WalMart & The Sports Authority as they always have bargains. I bought some waterproof leather Dunlop Golf shoes from WalMart for less than $25 & they are great.

lakers
07-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Mandy
Why bother buying them from the USA ! if you have got sattelite TV look at Bid-up or bid down the auction channel i have seen many good bargains on there for golf clubs i got a fantastic set for 67 last december,thats a full set,bag and trolley. :wave2:

Larry

carl_w
07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
All the name brand golf stuff is far cheaper over there -- it's the old $1 to the trick. Having said that, you can get some decent discounts at some online places in the UK -- see www.direct-golf.co.uk for one.

Note that if you come back with a bag full of clubs you'll need to have bought a flight case to put them in too, otherwise they'll end up all over the cargo hold.

Sarnia
07-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Golf club prices have come down a lot in the UK over the last 5 years, but it's still cheaper to buy in the US usually.

The deals that you get on the website quoted above on the post above are probably about the same as you will pay in the US though, i'd recommend it too if you decide to buy in the UK.

carl_w
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I bought a Taylor Made R5 dual driver from Edwin Watts in Orlando. Was $300+6.5% sales tax, so at $1.85 to the (which is what it was in May) that's 172. Direct Golf are now selling them for 199 I think, so it's not a great deal of difference. If you get stiffed for VAT at Customs you could be worse off, particularly now the exchange rate's not so good.

But if you're buying brand-name, brand-new stuff (i.e. stuff that's not yet on discount in the UK) then it's worthwhile. I fancy a couple of Cleveland wedges next time. Also note that the accessories can be cheap -- I got a pair of Footjoy shoes for $50 and three golf gloves (leather!) for $12.

homerdog
07-14-2005, 03:04 PM
You can buy clubs cheaply (and from reliable sellers) on eBay, but I have to admit that you can't beat a visit to Edwin Watts on Turkey Lake Road (http://retail.edwinwatts.com/retail/store.cfm?store_id=17&x=11&y=15) - it's a golfers paradise :cloud9:

Regarding Customs - don't bother trying to fool them, they've seen it all before. The only question you need to ask yourself is 'Red' or 'Green'?! ;)

Virgin certainly still allow golf clubs as part of your baggage allowance.

peewakio
07-15-2005, 05:18 AM
A couple of years ago at the Reebok shop at the Belz mall they had an offer on of buy one get one at half price. We chose a pair of Rockport boots for my son and a classy pair of Rockport Golf Shoes for myself. I can't remember the price of the boots but the golf shoes had been reduced 3 times (maybe because of the size US13 - UK12) the reduction went from $150 - $80 - $30 then they were reduced again to half price making them $15 (At the time 10).

Still got them now (wear them for best) and have worn out three pair of expensive Adidas in the meantime. :cool1: