PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: VMK cracking down with more warnings?

JeanJoe
07-02-2005, 05:46 AM
I've come across threads here, at the VMK fan site, and at Intercot, as well as just chatting at VMK, that VMK cast members are cracking down more on giving out "personal information."

Web identifiers
- Intercot members have had their "Enter caught" rooms renamed and replaced with "Temporary room per VMK", and those words removed from their signatures; they are still permitted to say "WDW inside and out"
- a long time ago VMK fan site net was disallowed, and at least the word "net" was removed from the dictionary

Personal / age information
- someone at VMK fan site was warned for saying "I'm a kid"
- a lot of us have been told not to say "I am old"
- someone at Intercot was warned for revealing who at VMK was their son (or "sun" as the case may be)

I did mention a while ago that saying or asking people to visit the Dis boards might result in problems. It would really stink if they took "Dis" out of the dictionary, because we don't seem to have a "tagline" for the boards here. People might want to voluntarily change their sigs from "Dis board member" to just "Dis". We will all know what it means (kind of like Intercot's "Inside and out"), and hopefully that will postpone losing a useful word from the dictionary.

Or, we could take DoomCookie's suggestion (of course, speaking with DoomCookie may become a bannable offense, jk) and volunteer a new tagline for the Dis boards: "Lame, old, and proud!" .. but I think disalex wouldn't like that.

Tishke
07-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Well, you could certainly use "lame, old, and proud!" but you can't leave out the "hate fun!" or dislike fun as you must now say. :banana: :

Maleficent2
07-02-2005, 07:56 AM
:confused3

I understand the numbers although last night someone used g2g (what does that mean by the way?) so they used the number 2 as I said I saw kids doing the other night in the game.

Could we just use "The Dis" would they catch that?

or "LIMEGREEN POWER"

"Lame, old, and proud!"

won't work because you use the word "old"

Main Entry: old
Part of Speech: adjective 2
Definition: obsolete
Synonyms: aboriginal, age-old, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, archaic, bygone, cast-off, crumbling, dated, decayed, done, démodé, early, erstwhile, former, hackneyed, hoary, immemorial, late, moth-eaten, of old, of yore, old-fashioned, old-time, olden, oldfangled, once, onetime, original, outdated, outmoded, passé, past, primeval, primitive, primordial, pristine, quondam, relic, remote, rusty, sometime, stale, superannuated, time-worn, traditional, unfashionable, unoriginal, venerable, worn-out
Antonyms: modern, recent
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

how about "lame, stale, and proud" of course stale would have to be in the dictionary.

thanks for the heads up
Mal

RadioNate
07-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I have lame and old and haven't been warned yet. I like the dislike fun and limegreen indentifiers.

Luv2Roam
07-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I used in my tag line a line from Dizpins, so I can be identified from that board:
the pin trader runs at dawn

We could come up with something like that for the Dis,

JeanJoe
07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
:confused3

I understand the numbers although last night someone used g2g (what does that mean by the way?) so they used the number 2 as I said I saw kids doing the other night in the game.

Could we just use "The Dis" would they catch that?

or "LIMEGREEN POWER"

G2G = got to go. I still don't understand kk = ok. It's not even shortening the number of letters.

Is limegreen a word yet (maybe someone's screen name)? I know that lime is not.

I think "The Dis" is probably a better idea than "Dis Boards," and is probably the safest bet. I don't think anyone has actually gotten warned for "Dis Boards" yet, though, so perhaps I am being too cautious.

Astryd
07-02-2005, 12:16 PM
G2G = got to go. I still don't understand kk = ok. It's not even shortening the number of letters.

Is limegreen a word yet (maybe someone's screen name)? I know that lime is not.

I think "The Dis" is probably a better idea than "Dis Boards," and is probably the safest bet. I don't think anyone has actually gotten warned for "Dis Boards" yet, though, so perhaps I am being too cautious.

I was just sitting with VMK_Bingo and she did not say anything to me about my signature.

Maybe if we do not tell people to come to the Disboards all the time and stay out of trouble (I know hard to do with this group :confused3 ) but maybe they will not say anything.

debbiedoo
07-02-2005, 12:21 PM
ok I am on my way to change mine to dis

Tishke
07-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Mine says "All Dis All The Time". Then they don't know if I mean Dis boards or Disney ;)

JeanJoe
07-02-2005, 01:23 PM
... and stay out of trouble (I know hard to do with this group
Who us? ;)

iNTeNSeBLue98
07-02-2005, 01:32 PM
FYI LIME is not on the allowable words list.

Astryd
07-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Who us? ;)

You never? ;)

Maleficent2
07-02-2005, 04:35 PM
now that is just stupid how could the word lime be bad.

I put Dis green in my sig.... :bounce:

JeanJoe
07-02-2005, 06:08 PM
now that is just stupid how could the word lime be bad.

I put Dis green in my sig.... :bounce:

I don't think it's that "lime" is "bad" -- it's just not in the dictionary. The dictionary is a list of allowed words; anything not allowed is automatically, well, not allowed.

So, lime just isn't a common enough word in general usage to make it into the dictionary. And it's probably not going to make it into the dictionary because I doubt enough people will demand to have "lime" in there.

This is in contrast to a strategy where you by default allow ALL words, but then have a list of disallowed words. The problem with this strategy is that people would just mis-spell words to get around the disallowed list.

Maleficent2
07-02-2005, 08:32 PM
I get it just think some words like Disney character names, disney words and phrases like Haunka Matta, colors, and common words we need to use to communicate should be on the allowed list.

Like we don't find ways around the VMK dictionary now like it is...;)

To send in a request for a word do we do that under help or contact us?

Mal

JeanJoe
07-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I get it just think some words like Disney character names, disney words and phrases like Haunka Matta, colors, and common words we need to use to communicate should be on the allowed list.

Like we don't find ways around the VMK dictionary now like it is...;)

To send in a request for a word do we do that under help or contact us?

Mal
It's under Contact us on the VMK front page. They then ask, which word and why do you want it added.

I tried for a bunch of words early on, and none of them got added, so I don't bother anymore. (On the other hand, creating another character whose name is "grouchy" got me that word!)

lajones81
07-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Strange...I've said these things a number of times and never have gotten warned. Maybe it's because I'm not old! ;)

Maleficent2
07-02-2005, 10:13 PM
will send them a note.

Mal

EngrDaisy
07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
g2g = got to go

Tishke
07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I got the infamous "stop sharing personal information or be booted" type screen lol. Rule breaking Tishke is just out there getting into trouble :rotfl:

JeanJoe
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I got the infamous "stop sharing personal information or be booted" type screen lol. Rule breaking Tishke is just out there getting into trouble :rotfl:

Congratulations :confused3 for joining the club?

I got warning #2 the other day, trying to talk about hockey leagues and trying to get across ECAC, BC, BU...

I don't want any more warnings :(

Maleficent2
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I must have been having a blonde moment ;)

Mal

PrincessaC
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh gosh... Thanks for the info. I think tomorrow I better change my signature and stop telling people who my "sun" is.

pumpkinfish
07-08-2005, 05:46 AM

Tishke, if you can believe it, that was about my third warning on the subject..... :confused3

Tishke
07-08-2005, 06:40 AM
LOL you, a rule breaker......never! What a shocking discovery :rolleyes1

Astryd
07-08-2005, 08:51 AM

lol

I got a warning one day when I was telling Sorcmickey how many times I went to WDW last year. lol

The warning told me that I needed to stop using words that were in the dictionary for words that were not in the dictionary. :confused3 I wanted a reply button to say "You are kidding, right?"

princessash2323
07-08-2005, 10:23 AM
what happens when you are warned? and who warns you?..you know incase i might want to case some mischief i want to know what im getting into.. JK! :rotfl:

Astryd
07-08-2005, 10:37 AM
what happens when you are warned? and who warns you?..you know incase i might want to case some mischief i want to know what im getting into.. JK! :rotfl:

You get a pop up warning from the VMK staff, sometimes they send it to the whole room, sometimes they send it to the person in trouble.

princessash2323
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
lol gotcha i just ever "encoutnered" this lol :cool1:

Astryd
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
lol gotcha i just ever "encoutnered" this lol :cool1:

We are all just trouble makers, maybe you should avoid us. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

princessash2323
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
or join you mawhahahaha

sounds like star wars or something. yet i still havnt seen that

pumpkinfish
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
or join you mawhahahaha

sounds like star wars or something. yet i still havnt seen that

LOL...yes, welcome to the Dark Side of Dis...HAHAHAHA (that was my evil laugh! :rotfl: )

iggbees
07-08-2005, 06:53 PM
it seems so silly that they are trying to stop people from using words. um, half of the people on vmk are adults. i just feel like if they keep this up (with warnings and all) people are going to stop playing because it will be too much of a bother. i already get annoyed that i have to find other ways to say things. i try to avoid people for that reason alone!

JeanJoe
07-08-2005, 08:08 PM
it seems so silly that they are trying to stop people from using words. um, half of the people on vmk are adults. i just feel like if they keep this up (with warnings and all) people are going to stop playing because it will be too much of a bother. i already get annoyed that i have to find other ways to say things. i try to avoid people for that reason alone!
Well, this came out in the news 2 weeks ago: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/06/23/yahoo.chat.rooms.reut/

And consider that even despite all the dictionary restrictions, the top dozen VMK rooms are invariably "meet your boy / girl friend" rooms, and that every where you go, you are constantly being pestered (well, not me; the girls don't seem to go for green people) to be their boy/girlfriend, and it's probably not surprising that Disney lawyers are going to do what it takes to make it look like they've done everything possible to protect the tweens that are the true target audience of VMK.

Note that I don't claim the dictionary actually does do anything to increase safety. A large number of people who VMK also go to boards (like this one), where they can then post whatever information they want. Still, Disney can still claim they did everything within their power to prevent anything from happening.

<shrug> It's sad that they (and we) have to deal with this in our society.

iggbees
07-08-2005, 10:32 PM
And consider that even despite all the dictionary restrictions, the top dozen VMK rooms are invariably "meet your boy / girl friend" rooms, and that every where you go, you are constantly being pestered (well, not me; the girls don't seem to go for green people) to be their boy/girlfriend, and it's probably not surprising that Disney lawyers are going to do what it takes to make it look like they've done everything possible to protect the tweens that are the true target audience of VMK.

no kidding! i luckily haven't been asked if i have a boyfriend yet on vmk. thank god.

i think that every time i have been on someone is asking someone else to "go to their room" with them (what they pretend to do in there i have no idea... nor do i want to know!). the funny thing about all of this is that the people who are just trying to play the games and not partaking in all of this garbage seem to be the ones getting warned! haha. go figure! :rolleyes:

BuddyGenie
07-16-2005, 09:45 PM
That is one of my worst fears. Getting banned from an Internet social group for no good reason. To me, it brings up all sorts of frustration and anger inside me, and I am very sensitive when it comes to that. I have not been warned yet, and I hope never to get warned because then I will want to delete my account from the game and declare VMK "evil". (I had almost declared Disney "evil", but fortunatelyy it didn't escalate to that point, and I'd rather not go into that sort of "thing"). I have been booted out from a room tonight. I don't think I will visit any guest rooms anymore. :(

Why can't Disney create an Internet social group for us adults as they did VMK for kids? That's one of the things that put me off to VMK at first, until my other sister said that it would be something she'd like because she is like a kid. And there's another fellow who's 25 and plays the game. I just don't want to get told for no good reason. :angel:

Nutsy
07-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Only one warning here so far (fingers crossed I don't get any more). It's so hard when talking to people not to use banned words or even just to avoid everyday kind of things.

My warning was for personal information. Actually I'm kinda pleased now that they did stop that one, as that person was not at all nice. She was extremely rude.

But since then I have found a way around explaining some things.....you really need your wits about you tho.:rolleyes:

Tinkerbelle739
07-17-2005, 07:09 AM
I have never gotten a warning but last night there was conversations that I could have gotten one for!

Maleficent2
07-17-2005, 08:41 AM
was it in a public space or a private room?

A bunch of us were warned once in a public space but I think they are a little less likely to warn in a private room.

They should have a data base that the CM can see to know who is who and how old so say a bunch of us are in a private room chatting away when our chat appears they see ( Maltoo:insert age);) thought you had me didn't ya not going to get my age that easily ;) :rotfl: Then if we are all adults present and long as it was not too risque they would just let us be.

Mal

pumpkinfish
07-17-2005, 08:45 AM
I have never gotten a warning but last night there was conversations that I could have gotten one for!

I hear ya on this one..! :rolleyes: :earseek: :blush:

Tishke
07-17-2005, 09:33 AM
I've noticed that when the lame dis folk gather the VMK people pop in, see we are being old and lame and leave as they roll their eyes. :rotfl2: I just wish they woul dmake it so that rooms could be invite only. My finger was working overtime to boot people that didn't belong or that showed their very young age.

Tinkerbelle739
07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
I try to contain myself while the young are present but as soon as I see it is just us lame dis folk...

Sundowner76
11-18-2005, 02:02 AM

LOL, speak for yourself Be - I happen to be quite popular with the ladies. And being "lie-am" green just makes me stand out from the competition (you, Simba, and the other handsome green folk are exceptions of course.)

Wingedheart
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
yes, green...due and i might even let you be a fly boy...despite the fact that you are green!! rofl

on topic, i do agree they should not bother adults who are just chatting with other adults as long as the conversation is not too inappropriate!

blizzard
11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
LilGreenMan, is there any reason you chose to bump a post from July?

I think we all know what the situation is regarding "adult themed" conversation now (see Surf Spot references)

My interpretation of the latest VMK news is in line with the - dancing is ok UNLESS you are dancing to convey personal information or adult themed conversation.

pokemon_master
11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Once apon a time you could say u kk and get away with it. Now you can't say kk anymore!

stejohno
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I still don't understand kk = ok.

i would just like to point out that kk has been removed from the dictonary?!?! it is getting out of hand now..

PurpleDuck
11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
yes, green...due and i might even let you be a fly boy...despite the fact that you are green!! rofl

Uh, pssst.. wing, I thought you and I were the fly girls, and we were considering Due if she bought and wore wings and feathers?? (Interesting thought though about green!) :rotfl2:

Sundowner76
11-20-2005, 12:17 AM
LilGreenMan, is there any reason you chose to bump a post from July?

I think we all know what the situation is regarding "adult themed" conversation now (see Surf Spot references)

My interpretation of the latest VMK news is in line with the - dancing is ok UNLESS you are dancing to convey personal information or adult themed conversation.

Sorry! I didn't realize this post was from July! I searched my buddy list for posts and must have gone too far back without realizing it! (I'm so ashamed!)

goofy4dizney
11-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Wow! Didn't know green dudes could turn "pink" so fast! LOL :blush:

Don't worry, Green. You know we heart ya! And I'm lobbying hard to get you into the "Fly Boy" club, although technically, according to Duck, I am not a full-fledged member myself of the "Fly Girls"!! :confused3 (although my siggy says otherwise :smooth: )

-looks frantically through inventory for anything with feathers-

Hey Duck! Will the Indian headdress do?? Otherwise I will have to go on a serious hunt for a chicken hat again... ::yes:: (Poor Slurpee, I knew him well)

PurpleDuck
11-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow! Didn't know green dudes could turn "pink" so fast! LOL :blush:

Don't worry, Green. You know we heart ya! And I'm lobbying hard to get you into the "Fly Boy" club, although technically, according to Duck, I am not a full-fledged member myself of the "Fly Girls"!! :confused3 (although my siggy says otherwise :smooth: )

-looks frantically through inventory for anything with feathers-

Hey Duck! Will the Indian headdress do?? Otherwise I will have to go on a serious hunt for a chicken hat again... ::yes:: (Poor Slurpee, I knew him well)

Okay, okay, Due, the headdress works! (who am I, the newbie, to defy Wing's declaration you are in? :confused3 ) But I still think Green really wants to become a "Fly Girl" (at least that's what Simba told me last night before the party)! :rotfl2:

Oh we are so seriously off topic! Green, why did you open this old thread? ..sssshh

iluvcountry
11-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Ignore my post please. :)

goofy4dizney
11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Okay, okay, Due, the headdress works! (who am I, the newbie, to defy Wing's declaration you are in? :confused3 ) But I still think Green really wants to become a "Fly Girl" (at least that's what Simba told me last night before the party)! :rotfl2:

Oh, Duck, you're really going to believe THAT coming from the dude wearing the pink princess hat??

:rotfl2:

Wingedheart
11-21-2005, 01:52 PM
OMG, what party?? I missed a party?! :rotfl:

Well, Purpleduck you and I are the original dear! Yes, I think Due needs another chicken hat, but she's still very fly! :rotfl2:

Simba, he's my fly boy! LOL :earsgirl:

Green--I don't know about Green! We do pick on him quite a lot don't we...poor Green!

:cool1: Wings

Oh, yes and I think these last several posts have NOTHING to do with the original topic. I think we need a fly girl thread!

goofy4dizney
11-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh, yes and I think these last several posts have NOTHING to do with the original topic. I think we need a fly girl thread!

Go ahead and start it Winged, because I got another chicken hat!! WOOT!

:thewave: