PDA

View Full Version : Nurses....what is the MOST painful Shot given

Beauty
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Cause I think I got it!! I have an infection and got a strong antibiotic shot. Now I've had my share of shots before but NEVER have I had anything like this. The actual pric didn't feel any different from any but afterwards, OMG I felt like my entire leg and hip was going to fall off from burning. My mother said I turned as white as a sheet. I thought I was having a reaction or something but the nurse said it was one of the most painful shots out there. So now its still hurting and burning off and on.

So what was it?? Any ideas?? All I know was a strong antibiotic.

ChrisnSteph
06-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm not a nurse, but from experience, I'd have to say a tetanus shot is the worst. Especially the next day!

Beauty
06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Nope this is worse....LOL! I had to have a tetnus less than a month ago. We are adopting a little girl from China (hopefully) and we all got tetnus shots at our physical for the adoption. This was MUCH worse. I have never felt anything that burned like this and I have a pretty high pain tolerence I think. It was like pouring alcohol in a HUGE open wound or something.

Boston Tea Party
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Tetanus is the worst I have ever felt. :earseek:

laurie31
06-07-2005, 08:48 PM
My guess is Rocephin (ceftraixone). It's soooo thick, it hurts my hand to push it in, and plenty of patients have told me it hurts like...well, you know. Bicillin is also painful but I think Rocephin is the worst.

Laurie

ETA - tetanus can make your arm sore, but it's not even in the same pain league with the big gun antibiotics. I've had patients say it feels like thier arm is being amputated :earseek:

ChrisnSteph
06-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Maybe the nurse pushed it in too quickly. Sometimes that will cause a lot of pain. Of course, the nurse might not admit that!

Rutt and Tuke
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
You're lucky if tetanus is the most painful shot you've ever had.

Phenergan has to be my most painful one.

magicfan
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks, I will be sure to never get an antibiotic through a needle now. Ouch!! Sounds so painful!! I hope you feel better soon~

crz4mm2
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Magnesium Sulfate. Back in the days that we used to give it IM. Now it is given IV.. Hurts like the devil.

Cathy

Beauty
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I've had Phenergan too and this was much worse! Much worse. At least after a few hours Phenergan stops, this is still hurting off and on. I don't think it was her pushing because the hurting started AFTER the shot.

ETA - tetanus can make your arm sore, but it's not even in the same pain league with the big gun antibiotics.

Yep that is my exact thoughts. The Phenegran the Tetanus, NOTHING has compared to this!

Beauty
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh and I do feel some better, not 100% and I'm on regular PILL Antibiotics but it did work, I'm so much better than I was. But wow!!!!!!!

Sparx
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I had a shot into a cut on my leg and it went down to be bone, you don't know pain until that happens to you, any other shot is a walk in the park until a needle hits bone. I had six of those

poohandwendy
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
LOL...shouldn't we be asking the patients which shot is the most painful? Unless you are asking nurses which is the most painful to administer...(just joking)

TeresaNJ
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
My first thought also was Rocephin. Every patient I ever gave it to said it hurt like heck. The other issue is that it is going deep into a muscle as opposed to tissue. Intra-muscular shots always hurt, which is also why tetanus shots hurt so much the next day, your muscle is really sore. On another note, Beauty, you really should have asked what you were being given before the fact. It is a prevention to medication errors and giving someone something they are allergic to. On the other hand, you should have been told what you were getting. Next time, ask! :flower:

Serena
06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't know, but a friend of mine had to have hormone shots and she said it hurt worse than anything she'd ever had. I guess the liquid is thick and burned all the way through her leg.

Beauty
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
I felt so bad I didn't even think to ask. They didn't tell me either though. When my mom asked they did say the name to her something along the lines of,

Oh, thats _____________ its one of the most painful antibiotics you can give.

Your right though I should have asked. I did have to wait 20 minutes to go home though in case of allergic reaction.

OOOO going to the bone....I can't even imagine.

Planogirl
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
The worst I've had was a cortizone shot in my shoulder joint. Maybe it was so bad because my shoulder was so messed up?

minkydog
06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
I'd have to say Bicillin and Rocephin probably take the cake. It's like giving a shot of glue and it hurts like H***. So does gamma globulin(what you get if you've been exposed to hepatitis.)Like a shot of motor oil.

I remember those huge Mag Sulfate shots--some of our docs would have us draw up lidocaine with the MgSO4 so it wouldn't hurt so much.

Nicolepa
06-07-2005, 09:25 PM
The worst I've had was a cortizone shot in my shoulder joint. Maybe it was so bad because my shoulder was so messed up?

I have to agree, these were by far the worst. I had 2 every 6-8 weeks in my elbow for about a year. That was *ell going in and for several days afterwards. It hurt so bad I cried!

cdrn1
06-07-2005, 09:35 PM
My guess is it was Rocephin. We don't give it IM very often but generally when we do, we reconstitute it with Lidocaine to lessen the pain, and use a method called "z-track" to give it so that it seals off and doesn't leak into surrounding tissue. Patients do complain that it burns like fire afterward.

imadisneyholic
06-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I've had the Rocephin shot before. I don't usually have a problem with shots but that one hurt. I know cortizone shots have got to hurt worse. I was holding my mom's hand while she was getting a shot in her wrist, bad idea , she nearly broke my hand.

browneyes
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
When my kids have to have penicillin shots, the nurses there tell me it's the most painful shot they give.

The most painful shot I've ever had was some kind of antibiotic. I'm not sure what it was, but it hurt for several months afterwards.:eek: Someone told me the nurse might've hit a nerve with the needle or something like that.

Beauty
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I bet thats what it was because it hurt down my leg and all around the shot area. Like you could literally feel the medicine running down my leg.

disneyworld!
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
well for me, cortizone is something I get a ton of(different areas) but for me the most painful is potassium and predisone......they so burn!!!!(cannot remember the other name for injected predisone) I did have antibiotics I think maybe Levaqiun....all these for me was thru IV, my veins got so bad...they had to move them, then they just did a pic....to cut down on the pain!!!!

Antonia
06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
It had to be Rocephin - a very powerful antiniotic - and like some have said, it is usually mixed with lidocaine to lessen the pain.

Beauty
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
They said I have a really bad infection so I'm sure it was powerful. Thats probably it.

Catzeyes
06-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I had to have the rabies shots series when I was a kid and got bit by a stray dog. That was the worst I have ever had and I have had a ton of different shots in my life.

alliecats
06-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I vote for Cefadyl...especially if it's just been mixed. I always try to get the nurse to spike it with lidocaine--huge difference. It burns like fire going in otherwise.

Beauty
06-07-2005, 10:36 PM
It didn't compare at all but I had to do a Carbon Monoxide test once and the needle did hurt quite a bit. It was done in my hand.

Judy from Boise
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
My first thought was Rocephin. If you ever have it again make sure that they mix it with lidocaine, and give it z-trac. I think Vt b12 is also painfull, and ferritin .

Aimeedyan
06-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Now you know why I refuse antibiotic shots! I will not let them shoot me - I can be halfdead and i won't =)

Yet I can do an IV infusion every 6 weeks...?

nocnurse
06-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Wow! I'm amazed at all the IM antibiotics. We do PO or IV, never IM at our hospital, even in the ER.

I have heard that Propofol burns like the dickens when you push it, but usually the patients are not vey talkative at that point, so I can't be sure. :teeth:

laurie31
06-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Wow! I'm amazed at all the IM antibiotics. We do PO or IV, never IM at our hospital, even in the ER.

I think most of these are in doctors' offices. We also very rarely do IM in the hospital. Usually if we do, it's because the IV came out and there's only 1-2 doses left and the patient/family refuse to have the IV restarted. Personally, I'd rather have an IV than get any antibiotics IM! I still remember how bad my leg hurt from a bicillin shot when I was 7 - and that was almost 21 years ago! I had trouble walking for 3 days! :scared:

Laurie

Pea-n-Me
06-08-2005, 12:47 AM
I was going to say also I don't remember the last time I gave an IM injection - we either give IV, SQ or PO in the hospital, very rarely IM. (But when I do I use ZTrack). Even when I've gotten antibiotics myself in my doctor's office they placed an IV and gave it that way.

MScott1851
06-08-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm with the rest of the crowd, probably Rocephin or Bicillin.

I will often start a line just to give Rocephin instead of giving it IM. However, when I DO give it intramuscularly, I will mix it with Lidocaine, give it z-track, and rapidly pat the area around the injection site while I'm pushing it slowly. It confuses the nerve endings, I learned that from a dentist.

Bicillin hurts like the dickens, but I've always been so sick from strep throat that I really didn't care whether it did or not. I'd rather withstand a little pain and get better sooner.

Phenergan has a pH of 4, so it BURNS, too. The trick is to give it slowly IM, or to dilute the heck out of it IV. I give MYSELF phenergan shots whenever I'm vomiting, so again, I usually am so sick I don't care.

I've heard people say that Depo hurts, but I've given it to myself before and didn't notice.

Mermaid02
06-08-2005, 05:20 AM
I had an injection of dye into my hip before an MRI a few years ago- They went in from the the front and I could feel the needle on the bone- and they were wiggling it around. That was the worse I've ever had- needle on bone.

I hope you feel better Beth!!

Disney Doll
06-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I, too, am amazed at the # of antibiotics being given IM. We don't IM antibitoics around her unless there is no IV access and no possibilty of getting IV access.

I have had steroid shots (for a really bad case of poison ivy) and that hurt like the dickens.

FWIW, if you are getting a shot, the bigger the muscle they put it into, the more area there is for the medication to spread over so it will hurt less. Translation: Get IM shots in your butt rather than your arm whenever possible. The wonderful ER nurse who gave me the steroid shot told me that, and I bless her to this day!!!

God knows, my butt is WAY bigger than my arm!!!!!!!!!!!!

MeanLaureen
06-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Shots don't bug me because I can actually separate myself from pain for things like that and talk myself out of not feeling it. But I can tell you the most uncomfortable shot I had and the one I had the hardest time convincing myself I didn't feel anything was when they stuck the needle into my knee for a cortisone shot.

chris1gill
06-08-2005, 07:24 AM
My vote is the Rocephin also... back when my daughter was three, she had an infection bad enough to kill her :( It was just awful... but I didn't allow them to give her the Rocephin through injection, I made them go with the IV... giving an IV three days in a row to a three year old is awful, but nowhere near as bad as if I'd let them give it by the injection.... Dear God, she would never have looked at another doctor again!!

Now, this is unrelated to infection, but I have to get botox injections right into my jaw & shoulder muscles every few months... those hurt so bad I generally pass out :confused3 If the payoff wasn't so good (being able to talk) I'd never have those shots again...

2BOYMOM
06-08-2005, 07:35 AM
I have had cortizone shots into the heels of both my feet. Seems like he puts the needle in to the bone and then digs it around. I'm not sure if that is what he is really doing, but that's what it feels like! Giving birth was less painful than that....

Kim

Poohnatic
06-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Worst I've had is cortisone shots-they're so thick and they burn. I equate it to trying to inject ben gay into my body!

suzanne

mskay
06-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I had to get some kind of steriod shot in the bum two times. It was to help develop my baby's lungs since we knew she was going to be a preemie. That just burned so bad. The whole time I just kept telling myself that it was the best things I could do for my DD.

septbride2002
06-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Beauty I had something like that happen when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Suddenly I was burning from my belly button down. I don't remember much more because I was then knocked out.

~Amanda

TiggerStac
11-27-2005, 06:11 PM
ok...I was only 10 at the time, but I still remember 20 years later...
It wasn't a shot per se, but I had to have my blood gas drawn after being hit by a car. I remember this being horrible..and needles never bothered me and I was in tons of pain...and this kiiled even more. After this, I didn't have a needle for years and I was petrified that it was going to be like the blood gas...it was a breeze. Now I am doing IVF and give myself needles. The IM progesterone (DH has to give in my backside) is sore...but nothing compared to what I remember from when I was 10!!

dbarker
11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't know about the antibiotics, but Rho-Gam was the worst I ever got. Thank goodness it goes in the hip.

bgirldeb
11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
I have Rheumatold Arthritis, so I get to have a lot of shots. :rolleyes:

I get blood drawn every 3 months. I self-inject my enbrel medication once a week. It burns/stings because it is pre-mixed and has a preservative to it. I just had a cortisone shot in my hip that quite a sting to it. I've had cortisone shots in both wrists, and my index, ring and pinky finger on both hands. Those were a lot worse.

The worst ever, which isn't actually a normal "shot" has got to be an epidural, especially with the shock feelings that you feel in your legs and back. (2 c-sections here). :earseek:

Rozzie
11-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I just have to add, I hate giving IM injections, especially to skinny people. It always amaze me that some people rather have IM injections into their muscle, when we can dilute most things given in a IV. I push Phenergan real real slow, and people still want to claw my eyes out!

froglady
11-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't know about the antibiotics, but Rho-Gam was the worst I ever got. Thank goodness it goes in the hip.

I've had 4 doses, and don't remember it hurting. DH gave me phenergan once, and I SWORE he hit a nerve, since it hurt so much.

goin2disneyagain
11-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not a nurse, but from experience, I'd have to say a tetanus shot is the worst. Especially the next day!
I was in a car accident last year and was given a tetanus shot in the ER. The nurse told me my arm would be very sore the next day. I remembered getting one when I was 16 and I don't recall my arm hurting after that. But the day after the accident last year, earlier in the day I thought what was she talking about, my arm doesn't hurt at all. Well later in the day I was in agony!!

Deb & Bill
11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
The one I hated the most was the shot I got between my toes for Morton's Neuroma.

MinnieM3
11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
DH (hospital pharmacist) says it might have been Rocephin, but he also says it should have been mixed with lidocaine to make the pain less intense. Sounds like yours was not. Sorry!

Talking Hands
11-27-2005, 08:44 PM
The worst shots I ever got was the Demerol/something that they gave me for pain when I had my leg and ankle set. Ouch. Of course once it kicked in I felt much better but the actual shot was awful. And I had an IV line it but they didn't use that
Worse than penicillin or my epidural.

Michigan
11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
The worst I ever had was a spinal tap that took 2 hours and 45 minutes to try to get and they didn't get it so I had to go have it done under an xray type camera so they could see the spot.

I have a very high pain factor but I would rather die then go through that again.

jackskellingtonsgirl
11-28-2005, 01:06 AM

YES!! I totally agree with this one! Absolutely the most painful injection I have ever had! And it's been 10 years since I had it!

I have had an injection in the back of my knee that might have been cortizone or might have been dye - can't remember - but it hurt.

I once had a Phenergran injection in my hip and the nurse hit a nerve. It hurt for like 6 months after that. Now I never take anything in my butt that can go in my arm. I have Depo Provera injections every 12 weeks and I insist on it going in my arm.

I hope I never need any of these other super painful things!! :earseek:

susan1
11-28-2005, 01:54 AM
hi
yes i suspect it was an anti -biotic, i had triplopen when i came into contact with meningitis and the thick injection hurt for ages. thank goodness for i.v. antibiotics these days!

chris1gill
11-28-2005, 08:06 AM
This was something call Rocephen or Roseven (or something like that)... You can have it done by IV you know? That's what DD had to do & I would not let them give her the injection.... it had to be the IV... THAT was bad enough :(

As for me, I have to go every four months for Botox injections straight into the muscles in my jaw & shoulder/neck area... I pass out sometimes... It's the worst pain I've ever had & I have had C sections where the epidural didn't take, phenergan, tetanus, morphine, the list goes on.... the Botox is the epitomy of pain....

stm61
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
anyone who's been in the military can give you a whole list! I think anthrax, typhoid, yellow fever, and anything with gamma gobulan in it is horrible.

taximomfor4
11-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Rabies shots across the belly. Had them as a kid after my arm was magled by a stray cat. One a day, for 9 days till the cat was FINALLY found.

OUCH.

Z-track is recommended for some of the more caustic-feeling intra-muscular shots. It keeps most of the med in the muscle layer and NOT in the subcutaneous layer where it can hurt. We were also taught that certain locations for intramuscular injections are more painful than others. Like the side of your thigh. Also, outside upper quadrant of buttock is no longer a good spot for most Americans.

Hope you feel better soon! Maybe once the medication gets all broken up and dispersed.

Beth

malibuconlee
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know, but a friend of mine had to have hormone shots and she said it hurt worse than anything she'd ever had. I guess the liquid is thick and burned all the way through her leg.

A friend's niece gets hormone or steroid shots to help her grow. She has a syndrome that means she wont' be very tall. I guess with the shots she might get to 5 foot 3 instead of less than 5 feet tall.

I was there one day when she got it. WOW!! is all I can say. She carried on and on when her mom told her she was getting it that day.

My friend's BIL is a dermatologist and couldn't understand why she carried on so much. He injected a small amount into his own arm to see what the big deal was. He said it was horrible and thick and hurt like heck.

luvwinnie
11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
I have Rheumatold Arthritis, so I get to have a lot of shots. :rolleyes:

I get blood drawn every 3 months. I self-inject my enbrel medication once a week. It burns/stings because it is pre-mixed and has a preservative to it. I just had a cortisone shot in my hip that quite a sting to it. I've had cortisone shots in both wrists, and my index, ring and pinky finger on both hands. Those were a lot worse.

The worst ever, which isn't actually a normal "shot" has got to be an epidural, especially with the shock feelings that you feel in your legs and back. (2 c-sections here). :earseek:

I was just about to post about Enbrel. WOW does the once weekly shot

hurt...not the needle, but the medication...what a sting!!!!!

karmic
11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
DH (hospital pharmacist) says it might have been Rocephin, but he also says it should have been mixed with lidocaine to make the pain less intense. Sounds like yours was not. Sorry!

Thats what we do in our outpatient department and it makes a big difference.

Fredd's Girl
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
I've heard people say that Depo hurts, but I've given it to myself before and didn't notice.

I've never had any pain with Depo because of the shot. Now my OB's nurse has been guilty of just giving a crummy shot, and that's hurt! :rotfl:

The most painful shot I've ever had was a cortizone shot in the bottom of my foot for plantar faciatus (sorry about the spelling) and heel spur. My Dr actually gave it to me and not the nurse. Although it took 2 nurse to make sure I didn't jump off the table. My Dr. said he has actually had women tell him that labor was easier than that shot. I don't know about that, but it really hurt!

krcit
11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Ouch!! I've never had anything other than a basic shot but my poor dd had an antibiotic shot for strep when she was 6. They put it in her butt and she was screaming. Even the nurse teared up b/c she felt so bad, lol. That poor kid cried for an hour. A year later when she was in the Dr's office, he said 'ok, time for your flu shot" She flew across the room and tried to hide under the desk-she thought it was the butt shot again, lol!

mill4023
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
DW's had lots of shots and the one she says hurt the most by far was Fragmin(anti-coagulant). I had to give her the injections every day for most of 3 pregnancies. It was subcutaneous though, so not a lot of soreness other than bruising. Just a couple minutes of excruciating burning that made her cry.