View Full Version : 8/4 Magic--Day 0—Friday, 8/3/01

08-21-2001, 05:33 PM
Our flight out of LAX was at 7:10 a.m. Historically, we arrive at the airport at the last possible second and my blood pressure is somewhere in quad digits by the time Michael pays off everyone in our path (thus negating all the airfare savings I was so proud of managing) and we squeak onto the plane. This time I swore it would be different and vowed to arrive at the airport by 5:30. Yeah right. I do believe we got there by 6:30, though, which is a new record in promptness for us. Our nephew/housesitter/dogsitter, Adam, dropped us off, Michael bribed us past the mile-long line of Southwest passengers curbside and we proceeded to the gate where we picked up our boarding passes with time to spare. As often happens when one has time to spare in this type of situation, we began to think of things we’d forgotten: Alex, toothbrush—no biggie, small item, readily available anywhere; Mikey, wallet—no biggie, it’s not like he was actually planning to spend any of his own money; me, camera—BIGGIE! I’m a photography buff with a fairly extensive collection of 35mm equipment and had spent weeks deciding exactly what to bring and which bag to pack it in, and it was inconceivable that I’d left that bag at home. We had about 20 minutes to flight time. I resigned myself to the fact that I had to live with my blunder and record our trip on the disposable underwater cameras I’d brought for snorkeling, but Michael was more optimistic. He called Adam, and miraculously Adam rounded up both my camera bag and Mikey’s wallet and made it back to the airport where Michael met him curbside, grabbed the goods and then made like OJ Simpson (back when being like OJ Simpson was a good thing) through the airport and back to the gate just as we were boarding. Whew, another crisis averted! All was well until we were airborne and both boys remembered they’d forgotten to pack their dress shoes :( Oh well, even Adam couldn’t help us with that.
After a brief stop in Albuquerque, we arrived a little ahead of schedule at MCO, around 4:00 p.m. We got our luggage and a green Chevy Venture minivan from Avis, and headed to the Radisson in Port Canaveral. This is a great resort, and I highly recommend spending a pre-cruise night here. Our 2-room suite included a living room with queen size sofa bed and eat-in kitchenette, and bedroom with 2 king size beds and a large Jacuzzi tub in addition to the bathroom. I’d requested a view of the port, but since there were no ships in at the time we couldn’t really tell how good the view would be. The weather was surprisingly cool and a little rainy so we didn’t use the pool, but we did check it out and it was beautiful. I stopped by the front desk and made a reservation on the shuttle to the port for the 5 of us at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.
After the long flight, the boys weren’t interested in leaving the room so Alex and I walked next door to Kelsey’s and brought back pizza and calzones—great food! Michael went out to look for ginger pills in preparation for the dreaded seasickness (we were already well stocked with Bonine), got lost and returned hours later. Side benefit is he found Ron Jon’s, and we all decided to go back there and look around. The kids all got new shirts for tropical night, I got a pin and Michael got a beer coozie.
We decided to make a recon run to the port. It was so cool to finally see the Disney terminal! Back at the room, I put our DCL luggage tags on our bags and we went to bed with great anticipation…

08-29-2001, 10:03 PM
Hi, Kim! I just made my ressie for the Radisson for the night before our cruise. Based on your report and others from these boards, I can see I made the right choice. It sounds perfect. Can't wait to read the rest of your trip reports!

08-29-2001, 11:28 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Radisson. Have a great trip!

09-02-2001, 07:18 PM
Great report so far! Am going to the next one right now!