PDA

View Full Version : Official 2006 Marathon Weekend Brainstorming thread....

Lisa loves Pooh
05-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Hello All!

To save our weekly threads from getting overwhelmed with "planning" info instead of "training" info....we are starting a brand new thread to brainstorm ideas and get the ball rolling on planning pre-liminary activities:

Team Shirt:
CoolMax Lime Green with the following saying:

Shoes...$90
Illegal MP3 player...$100
GPS...$150
Earning a Mickey(Donald) Medal ....priceless

Previous ideas for stuff to do during the marathon weekend:

Meet at Trail's End for dinner.
Illuminations dessert party
Illuminations/Wishes fireworks cruise
Watching NFL playoffs at ESPN club (depending on who's playing )

Last season--when it came to decisions---for things such as Trail's End for the night before meal--the person "in charge" posted a poll to allow a dedicated thread for teammates to vote and express opinions.

chimera
05-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Info from my new friend Jeremy at Group Planning. I got these quotes from him on 2/14/2005. I picked one resort in each category for possibly reserving a room block.

DISNEY’S VALUE RESORTS
ROOM RATES START AT $68.00 + 13% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) double beds.
Disney’s All Star Movies Resort
We've "reeled in" the excitement of the movies in a big way!
Sections are themed around classic Disney movies. Two pools,
one themed to "Fantasia," the other reminiscent of "The Mighty
Ducks" Duck Pond hockey rink, provide family fun. This Value
Resort also offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery to your
room, even laundry facilities. Most rooms comfortably
accommodate four people.
Disney’s All Star Music Resort
The magic is in the music! Sections are themed around Calypso,
Jazz, Rock and Broadway. Two pools, one shaped like a piano,
the other like a guitar, provide a fun family recreation area. This
Value Resort also offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery
to your room, even convenient laundry facilities. Most rooms
comfortably accommodate four people.
Disney’s All Star Sports Resort
Sports is the spectacle! Sections are themed around football,
baseball, tennis, basketball and surfing. Two pools, one with a
baseball theme, the other centered around water sports,
provide a fun, family recreation area. This Value Resort also
offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery to your room,
even convenient laundry facilities. Most rooms comfortably
accommodate four people.
DISNEY’S MODERATE LEVEL RESORTS
ROOM RATES START AT $95.00 + 11.5% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) double beds.
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort ~ French Quarter
The allure of New Orleans along a rippling river. Two themed pool
areas evoke a folksy old-fashioned setting and a mythical land of
sea serpents and friendly "critters." The only thing warmer than the
Florida sunshine is the hospitality at this Resort. Most rooms
comfortably accommodate up to four people.
DISNEY’S PREMIUM LEVEL RESORTS
Disney’s Beach Club Resort
ROOM RATES START AT $249.00 + 11.5% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) queen beds.
Disney’s Beach Club Resort
Delight in the best of the beach as you celebrate the
refreshing allure of sand and sea at this breezy waterfront
property located right next door to Disney's Yacht Club
Resort. Bask in the casual elegance of sunny gardens,
serene grounds, luxurious lounges, croquet courts and
beachside cabanas, and splash to your heart's content in
three sprawling acres of watery fun.
2005 GROUP & CONVENTION PARK HOPPERS
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is able to include Theme Park admission tickets in all group packages.
Tickets can be delivered to you before your arrival, or waiting for the group upon check-in at the resort!
2005 GROUP AND CONVENTION PARK HOPPERS
Adult Child
2 Day Park Hopper® Pass $108 $86 2 days of park hopping, PLUS 1 visit to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
3 Day Park Hopper® Pass $162 $130 3 days of park hopping, PLUS 1 visit to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
4 Day Park Hopper® Pass $214 $171 4 days of park hopping, PLUS 4 visits to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
5 Day Park Hopper® Pass $248 $198 5 days of park hopping, PLUS 5 visits to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
· This offer for Group & Convention Tickets is valid for arrivals from January 1, 2005- December 30, 2005.
· All tickets will expire 10 days after their first use.
The above ticket rates and entitlements are subject to change without notice.
Adult rates apply to guests 10 years of age or older; child rates apply for ages 3-9.
The above ticket rates include tax.

Stitch_lover_Sith
05-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I like the shirt idea but do you have any idea how much it would cost?

goofyshell
05-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah!! Planning! How fun! I am especially interested in the illluminations dessert party. About how many people came to the trails end dinner last year? And I think the shirts sound great.
I could be "in charge" of the dessert party if no one else wants to and if folks are interested.

Lisa loves Pooh
05-24-2005, 10:16 PM
I like the shirt idea but do you have any idea how much it would cost?

Not a clue...I think that they will be for a reasonable price.

maryliz
05-25-2005, 08:01 AM
About how many people came to the trails end dinner last year?

There were between 26 and 30 WISH'ers, and some brought along other family members and friends. I'd have to say there were about 60 of us in total for dinner. They didn't accept PS ressies at that time so ya should have seen the looks on their faces when they opened up the doors :earseek:

One of my favourite memories of Marathon Weekend was this dinner and meeting the folks we'd been on-line training with for a year. If at all possible, don't miss this opportunity. :goodvibes

MaryLiz

Lisa loves Pooh
05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
so ya should have seen the looks on their faces when they opened up the doors :earseek:

It's the attack of the lime green athletes!!!!
:scared1:

maryliz
05-25-2005, 08:47 AM
It's the attack of the lime green athletes!!!!
:scared1:

And for us, it was "attack of the lime green athletes wearing lime green polar fleece WISH scarves" ! I still have the group picture as my wallpaper on my computer desktop at work!

monte
05-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Is the $68. rate normal, or for the marathon people? I want to do the marathon this year, but hubby is having a fit over the $$$, so I'm trying to get the lowest rate possible w/out leaving Disney property. I would like a shirt, but lime green is not my color. lol :rotfl:

monte
05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I just got off the phone with Disney reservations and she quoted a rate of $79. plus tax for the All Stars. I don't know if I should book now, or wait? :confused3

zoegirl
05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
monte-$79 is normal at a value resort for that time of year. I stayed at Pop Century two years ago for marathon weekend and liked it a lot.

Hey guys I love the shirt idea, and the trails end idea and the illuminations idea....heck I just love all the ideas!! Annnnnd I'd be glad to help with any of the planning if needed. I don't work full time so I have a few days during the week that I can make phone calls and such. Just let me know what needs to be done.

monte
05-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Where is everyone going to stay? Biergarten would also be a fun restaurant to go to.....I'm up for anything. I'm hoping to be there on Jan. 4 - Jan. 9th. I'm getting so excited. :goodvibes

zoegirl
05-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Biergarten is a great choice for after the race. I don't think german food would be a good choice for pre-race meal. Might tear up some stoamchs. :scared1:

Lisa loves Pooh
05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I would book your accomodations now--as things like Coronado are already booked solid--that in and of itself could cause racers to have a feeding frenzy on other accomodations. The sooner you book--the best pick you get. $79 is a pretty good rate. Any codes would becomoe

I'm not sure if we will have theme park tix this time around--we will have to see how finances hold up.

I think we should also have a "celebration party" if possible--I think that is how the Illuminations cruise was done as a post celebratory event. I know that most are dog tired on Sunday---what if we did a big celebration breakfast on Monday morning--that way those leaving on Monday could do something as a last hurrah as well :).

Thoughts?

(I interrupt this message to say--Wal-Mart just called and is giving me a $1000 check for a community matching grant for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society---YEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!!)

wtpclc
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM
I'd love to do something Sunday morning! We won't be able to arrive until mid day Sat.

T-shirts, I think we figured mid $20's with printing. Don't remeber who got the printing costs, though.

Maryliz - Will the Candian contigent be there in '06? I'd love to meet you guys!

Illuminations dessert party would be great. My vote is for Sunday night.

Well, being a Lions fan, probably not interested in a playoffs party. ;) Then again, my adopted Pat's would likely be good to watch. Go Brady!

monte
05-26-2005, 08:35 AM
When is everyone planning on arriving? I plan to get there on Jan. 4-9, 2006. What is the $68. rate all about? I haven't found anyone to travel with, but hopefully I can hang out with you guys? :earsgirl:

maryliz
05-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Maryliz - Will the Candian contigent be there in '06? I'd love to meet you guys!

:sad2: Nope, we're not going for this one. Darned finances! Although I just confirmed that my AP expires on the Thurs, and the kids are on school break until the following Monday ... :idea: I joined a running clinic here at work, which I have to say I really don't like it all that much ... I did a 23 minute run yesterday :crazy2: and during it, I was thinking how much fun it would be to try and do WDW 1/2 again but do a run/walk combo instead of the steady power walk. I don't think time and money will allow it for 2006, but I like having the thought in the back of my head. The really scary part is then I think about doing the full to get the Mickey to match my Donald :teeth: Who'da thunk that as I head for age 40 this year, I have desires to be an athlete ... actually I just have the desire for those Disney medals!

I visit your training threads from time to time because I really enjoy seeing your great progress.

MaryLiz

littlegreydonkey
05-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Definitely want to meet everyone, but I know that before a race sleep is the must fundamental thing in my life and I'm sure I won't be alone on this one so, maybe bear in mind if anything is before the marathon the earlier in evening/later afternoon the better - afterwards, hey I'll need beer and carbs to numb the pain so I'm there!!!

monte
05-28-2005, 09:06 AM
How long is everyone staying in WDW after the marathon? I'll be there from Jan.4-9.

zoegirl
05-28-2005, 10:31 AM
We haven't really decided where we are staying or how long. We're going down in November for our anniversary so January will probably just be a long weekend. But one can wish it will be longer ;)

Maybe we all could meet early evening or late afternoon to have our carb loading meal together? I'm still liking the idea of the illumnations cruise after the race. Has anyone ever done one? Do you get time to socialize or is it just get on the boat watch the show and leave?

NCRedding
05-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Last year, we did the Trails End dinner at 4:30--just when they opened the doors, and I was back at the hotel and in bed by about 9 pm. It worked very well.

A group of us did a Wishes cruise. I think karebear reserved it and then hust asked for anyone to join. We had time to socialize at the dock, and while waiting to cast off. As we went around, we talked a little, but also listened to the CM.

MickeySP
05-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I like all the ideas. We arrive on the 4th and are there through the 12th. ** am off property in a house in Davenport(relatives) but plan on staying on property the night before and night after. I think I will need the sleep.

I would love to meet all of you have kept me going. Especially when I feel like there is no way I can do this.

Angie_Ohio
05-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I just got a quote for the Polynesian of well over 300 a night. Is there a special rate for marathon runners? Does this group book together and get a discount?
Angie_OH

chimera
06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Angie...you need 10 rooms to be able to get a group discount. I still haven't figured out where to stay. Looking at BCV or BWV so the family can just wander into EPCOT when it opens. But the Poly sounds cool too...if I can get a good rate. I sure don't want to pay rack rate there :scared1:

We'll probably just be in town for the weekend, but hoping we can get together with everyone at least once. Trails End takes ressies now...up to 2 years in advance if everyone wants to do that again!

zoegirl
06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Trails End sounds yummy.

keenercam
06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Is everyone looking at Trails End for Friday night? If so, that sounds great. DH and I are arriving Thursday, staying at BCV and leaving Sunday or Monday. It depends on work schedules. I think our plan is to go to the Expo Thursday night, take it easy on Friday, hopefully meet lots of WISHers Friday night, do the 1/2 on Saturday, support the Mickey's and Goofy's on Sunday, party Sunday night, and come back on Monday.

BTW, I LOVE the idea of the tee shirts and CANNOT wait to hear the consensus on design.

Lisa loves Pooh
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Is everyone looking at Trails End for Friday night? If so, that sounds great. DH and I are arriving Thursday, staying at BCV and leaving Sunday or Monday. It depends on work schedules. I think our plan is to go to the Expo Thursday night, take it easy on Friday, hopefully meet lots of WISHers Friday night, do the 1/2 on Saturday, support the Mickey's and Goofy's on Sunday, party Sunday night, and come back on Monday.

BTW, I LOVE the idea of the tee shirts and CANNOT wait to hear the consensus on design.

I like the idea of Friday night personally. B/c then I'd get to go :teeth: . However--it is uncertain how the Team In Training pasta party will go if they will split it up or what they would do. My family would have more fun at Trails End though :)

Should we post a poll--and get a tally going to have an idea of what to make our Group PS for? It could take a while to tally it up since everyone checks in at different times. The poll could be public as well so all they'd have to do is VOTE.

However--I will say...we went to TE this weekend and weren't as enthused as we were on a previous visit. So just a heads up on that. Not sure where else we could go though....perhaps if we toss around on pre-event dinner suggestions--we can post a poll on that and let majority determine. We don't have to keep the same location though I heard that is was a blast for all who went :)

chimera
06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Friday night works for me! But how do we eat the night before the half? Lotsa carbs?

Anyone have any thoughts on where we could go that has a lot of room? From what I remember of TE, it's not that big. How many people were there last year? I think Lisa's right...we need to get an idea of a head count. I would be bringing a party of 4 or 5, whatever restaurant we choose. Anyone else?

Lisa loves Pooh
06-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Actually--they say to eat light the night before--2 nights before should be your "carb load"---found this out at the last minute last race and verified it somewhere....but don't recall.

For us it will be 4--2 A and 2 C

So that is 9 total so far.

WDWFAN9
06-03-2005, 06:07 PM
It will be just me on this trip, arriving on the 4th and scheduled to stay until the 11th, although that might have to be cut a little shorter since we just found out our precious pup needs surgery and my finances will be a little tighter than expected.

Lisa loves Pooh
06-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your pup, Pat. :( Hope he/she will be okay.

Poll is posted for the Friday Night Dinner:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=830380

WDWFAN9
06-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Lisa. Our sweet Keeper is a yr and half old golden. She has had a few medical problems, but she continues to be the sweetest furbaby imaginable.

TammyNC
06-05-2005, 06:32 AM
It will just be me on the marathon weekend trip. I haven't decided exactly what dates I will be in the World yet. I have got to start checking on rooms, flights, etc. I would probably do the TE on Friday night. That was so much fun last year. I would also like to do a T-shirt. Just thought I'd get my numbers in.

wtpclc
06-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Anyone who won't be around Friday that wants to do a Sat or Sunday dinner? I'm trying to change it, bit it looks like we will not arrive until midday Sat. Have we decided on a day for the dessert party yet? I'm up for it, as long as it's not before SUnday.

TXBelle
06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
On the topic of shirts, I found the following CoolMax shirts on the internet:

http://www.soark.com/tops_singlet.shtml

They come in lime green and are on sale for $14.99.

I also found one at L.L. Bean, but it is $24.00.

welovedis
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
TXBelle-DH has ordered from them before and was happy with whatever he bought, lol!

We will be arriving the 5th, leaving on the 13th as we've rented points for a 1 bedroom villa at BWV. We won't be making dinner with y'all since we'll be dining with our DVC friends who also happen to be taking care of our son overnight at WL and bringing him to the finish line. I believe we're going to Whispering Canyon IIRC.

We definitely plan on resting on Sat afternoon and then making our way to MK because we're assuming we'll see the parade & fireworks that night--we hope! :) If anyone is planning beyond Sat, we'd love to take part.

We're also planning on doing the Family Magic tour ( I think that is the name) at MK on one of the weekday mornings and DS will be doing either the Grand Adventures in Cooking at the GF or the Albatross Cruise at the YC/BC on Wed so if anyone who'll be staying the following week and would like to send your kids off for some fun, we'd love to meet up.

perfectmatch300
06-08-2005, 02:43 AM
DH & I will be up for Trails End, or wherever on Fri eve, would also love to do an Illuminations Cruise and culd probably be talked into a dessert party with very little effort. We live locally, one of the advantages of which is being able to go to DIS Meets whenever we want to! :sunny:

monte
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
So what's the head count for Trails End dinner?

Lisa loves Pooh
06-09-2005, 11:03 PM
So what's the head count for Trails End dinner?

According to the poll we are up to 29...

And I am up way past my bedtime. :sad2:

monte
06-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds great...thanks for the update...can't wait to see you guys! ;)

keenercam
06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
TxBelle -- Those shirts are very nice, but, unfortunately, I don't wear sleeveless (actually MUCH WORSE now after losing some weight and having icky, icky arms). :confused3
Am still hoping to find lime green with short sleeves. :wizard:

wtpclc
06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Quote from Liz way back on the March 13 Thread
"So about the shirts....I found place that will imprint them as well! Here is the info...Shirt Info (http://www.imprintedlogo.com/t-shirt_short.htm) We would need to add a one time $15 set up fee for the printing. Printing can be a 12x12 area for the back of the shirts. For the price shown, that reflects a two color print. To add each color beyond two, we will need to add a $15 set up charge and $.65 per color per shirt. That is based on the 24-49 shirt price. If we get more it will get cheaper.....less, more expensive. For the artfully talented folks.....they would prefer the logo done in Adobe Illustrator, in an EPS file with the font seperately....in case they do not have it.....Since names on our shirts has been mentioned and it is going to get expensive to do such a thing....I know that some of the iron transfers that can be made on the computer are quite good.......is it possible to think about printing a name and then irioning it above the logo that we use so the ****s are personalized?

My thoughts on this are to get the logo together....and decide how many colors we would like it to be. Then I am thinking we need to have a shirt sign up form.....It is going to a few weeks to get the shirts made...then if there are additional names that need to get ironed on...so I am thinking we should think about placing the order no later than the end of September. I know it is early, but soemthing to think about! We also need to get an idea about how many shirts will be needed to be ordered so we can see where we are with pricing! "

chimera
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
My thoughts on this are to get the logo together....and decide how many colors we would like it to be. Then I am thinking we need to have a shirt sign up form.....It is going to a few weeks to get the shirts made...then if there are additional names that need to get ironed on...so I am thinking we should think about placing the order no later than the end of September. I know it is early, but soemthing to think about! We also need to get an idea about how many shirts will be needed to be ordered so we can see where we are with pricing! "

Sounds brilliant! I'd like an XL please...will need room for a long-sleeved Tshirt underneath the singlet. Dumb question of the day...what name to put on...real name or screen name?

wtpclc
06-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I want my real name, so people can cheer for me. I think Lisa posted that if you put your name on your shirt, people will just cheer for you. I'm going to need all of the help I can get!

NCRedding
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
wtpclc: The bib they give you with your number also has your name on it so as you run (or walk) people will cheer--it is pretty cool. Keep in mind they request the bid be worn on front and fairly high--they need to see the number so that any pics taken on the course can be easily found--I am sure there are other reasons too.

So are we talking about getting shirts and having them shipped to us individually, or being given out at some point. I also like the idea of having an iron-on transfer done, and downloaded so that we can put it on our own shirt--like last year--Tiger Lily did it for us last year (I think) I waited too late to try to do it so I didn't have a WISH shirt.

Lisa loves Pooh
06-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Hmmm..how about real name on front/screen name on back. If it doesn't add to much to the cost--you want the crowd to cheer for you---but I saw so many shirts from behind---nice to not have to turn around to see a name :).

At least from behind--we'll recognize a WISH friend and their screen name--not sure my brain power would be up to recognizing fully.

However--I'll be wearing a TNT singling on top--so it doesn't matter much for me :(.

The names on the BIBs are rather small when you are jetting on by (yes, when you walk, wog, or run--you are jetting on buy :)). The Larger your name--the better it will be seen. As long as your Bib is above your waste, it is all good!

For our singlets, we do washable puffy paint--I did a kind of yucky job on mine--but you can save printing costs and add the name yourself if you wish. Our team used a silver puffy pen (wish I had used it) and the names were beautiful and wash nicely.

chimera
06-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Both sounds cool, though no one can pronounce my screen name. I'll have to remember to put Mel instead of Melissa or y'all won't know who I am either :teeth:

wtpclc
06-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I didn't realize names were on the bib. Lisa, I like your idea for front and back. Can we put out names lower on teh front so the bib won't cover it?

mel - At least your name can be pronounced, even if incorrectly. I really wish I had changed mine before I got tagged. :sad2: Just list for people calling "Hey! Chimichanga Girl!"

chimera
06-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I want my Tshirt now!!!

They can call me Chimi Girl if they want...and if they buy me lunch :p

florida transplant
10-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Hello fellow runners, I am new to Florida and have been running marathons for a few years now. My uncle has recently told me about the GOOFY run in 06. As of this moment there are no more entries available. Is there anyway to buy an entry and run under someone elses name for those of us who are new to this event? Any help at all would be wonderful. Thank you :banana:

wtpclc
10-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Hello fellow runners, I am new to Florida and have been running marathons for a few years now. My uncle has recently told me about the GOOFY run in 06. As of this moment there are no more entries available. Is there anyway to buy an entry and run under someone elses name for those of us who are new to this event? Any help at all would be wonderful. Thank you :banana:
I cannot tell you for sure, but I know that several people here were unable to register because it was closed. If there were a way to get around it, I think it woudl have been shared. I haven't heard of anything, though. There are people on teh WISH tream talking about 07, though. Hopefully, you can join them for that!

Tiger Lily 03
10-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I think there are some "teams" participating that might have spots available. If I recall, someone had said that was the case.
Team in Training
Stroke team
I'm not sure what all but I remember seeing those shirts so maybe that might get you somewhere

You might email the registration folks if they have info.

However, those teams may have a dollar amount requirement in their fundraising.

Good luck

TEK224
10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Does anyone go to PI for the post race party? What all do they have. I know the clubs are there, but do they have any type of ceremony or presentations, since they say it's part of the event weekend?

If I can move Sunday night I might try to go, but if there really isn't anything race-related, I'll probably head to ESPN Zone for the football games!

Terri

Lisa loves Pooh
10-04-2005, 07:04 AM

No there isn't.

You are ID'd at expo and they have a special check in at EXPO I believe.

They will place a bracelet on your wrist..that you wear until you cross the finish line at the half..then you go to a special tent...they will cut it off and then place on a new one.

If you are already registered for one event, you can do a fundraising team...and sign up for the other one that way (but you have to fundraise though). When they see an entrant in both events, you will automatically be entered as goofy---however, when you get to expo, you may have to speak with someone about that.

I am doing Team in Training and I will not be officially entered at Disney until about November/December as that is when they will submit the participants from our group.

ETA: As you are in Florida--not sure where you are from, but TNT minimum fundraising this year Disney for those locations that by default don't need airfare (so most of Florida) is $2200. I am in Central Florida and our recommitment is coming up in 3 weeks. There is still time to join. :).