PDA

View Full Version : Airport ID requirements for kids?

my2girlsmom
05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi,

We're leaving tomorrow...yeah!!!
First flight for my two dd's 4 and 6.5
What, if any, id do they need?
I don't have photo id's for them, and I'd rather not bring Birth certificates if I don't have to.
(We're traveling Continental if that helps)

Thanks!
Marion

mamapajama
05-13-2005, 07:24 AM
They do not need any ID. I do have a non-driver ID for my daughter but I got that for her last year when she was flying unaccompanied.

smilie
05-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Is there an age cut-off? At what age do you need to have an ID for the airport?

amejr999
05-13-2005, 07:43 AM
The TSA reqires one piece of government-issued photo ID, or two pieces of non-government-issued ID (at least one with a photo) for all passengers 18 or over.

If you have passengers under 18, you may want to bring some sort of ID (birth certificate or similar) in case there are any problems, but it is not required.

mamapajama
05-13-2005, 07:51 AM
I would say 18, because that's legal adulthood but most kids likely have ID a little earlier due to driving permits, etc.

Elise

MomLC
05-13-2005, 07:58 AM
:cutie: I always carry a copy of my daughter's birth certificate just in case. I haven't had to use it but you never know.

clkelley
05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
The requirement is 18, but if they have a picture ID, just have them show it.

When my boys have flown recently, we decided it was easier for them just to show their ID then try and explain that two young men 6'5" and 6'2" were 17 and 16 respectively.

Younger children will not be questioned unless they are under 2 and your not getting a seat for them, or if you are going to the Caribbean or something.

A trip outside the US with children requires ID to prove that they are your children. If they are not your children, or if both parents are not on the trip, then permission of the parents is also required. (i.e., if you go solo with your child, then a note from your spouse/significant other is required)

Carol

MickeyEars
05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
I took my boys ages 15 and 12 to the Clerk's Office and got them a state issued photo ID a couple of days ago. We fly to Disney every year and have never been asked for any identification but my 15 year old is now 6'1" and I'm afraid they will begin to doubt his age. The ID's were only $2.00 each so I just went ahead and got them. ;)

Carla

lsteadman
05-13-2005, 07:33 PM
My daughter and I fly all the time. I have taken at least 4 flights this year with my daughter and not one time have I ever been asked for ID. You don't need birthcertificates or any type of ID for flying in the US.

Now if you take any trips out of the US then they need an ID which is a passport.

For Disney, no ID need for children. TSA will ask you for a copy of all boarding passes and ID for anyone over 18.

Have a great trip!