PDA

View Full Version : What was your first Disney Deluxe Resort? And moderate and value?

*Fantasia*
05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
What did or didn't like about your first stay at the deluxe, moderate or value?
Did the place met your expectation or were you dissapointed? Is this your favorite resort?

Deluxe: WL~ Our first deluxe! We went in Dec 2004 and went in Feb 2005. Beautifully done with Christmas decorations. I can't think of anything I don't like about this resort. I just wish that their food court was bigger and have more varieties.
It met my expectation. This is a breathtaking resort! We stayed in the Courtyard both times. This is our first and only stay at the deluxe... so I guess so far this is my favorite!

Moderate: CBR~ I liked the themeing, the food court with lots to choose from, I liked the hammocks. I didn't like the fact that twice our visits, there were cockroaches in our room. The carpet wet. The tub drainage is clogged.
I was a little bit dissapointed the fact of what I have experienced in the room. We stayed in Jamaica #45 in Sept 2000- not renovated. Then the second time, we stayed in Martinique #26 in June 2004- already went through renovation.

Value: ASMovies~ I can't think of anything I don't like about this resort. Seeing and hearing little children everywhere doesn't bother me cause I have small children myself. Stayed at ASMo Sept 2000, Dec 2001, and March 2005. I have stayed at POP and loved everything about it. I guess POP is now my favorite value. I still like ASMo!!

randyl
05-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Great post Fantasia - and you have two beautiful children.

My first deluxe was the WL in May of 2001. It went way above my expectations and still reminisce about that trip and my first impressions of the hotel. I do agree with you about the food court. It seems like they built the hotel without having the foresight that they would be adding villas - which made everything there a little "smaller".

I've only stayed at a moderate once and that was Dixie Landings. It was a while ago and I really don't remember it that well - it was my first time on-site.

Never stayed in a value resort.

johnsonet
05-04-2005, 05:26 PM
My first Deluxe was the Contemporary when I was 15 years old and I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!! I have tons of pics of the room and our view of the MK taken on my Disc Camera :teeth:
I've never stayed in a Moderate or a Value - I'm spoiled :rolleyes: princess:

Ilovestitch
05-04-2005, 05:34 PM
First Deluxe: Boardwalk Inn w/my family when I was 16 or 17. It was the year the BWI opened, first year of the Disney Cruise Line- an AMAZING vacation! I convinced my mom to book a land/sea package before the Disney Magic ship was even built!

First Moderate: Caribbean Beach Resort when I was 18 w/family as part of land/sea package. CBR is the only moderate I've stayed at, I LOVE it!

First Value: I stayed at All Star Music the year it opened w/my family and I thought it was really cool. It's the only time I've stayed value, though. I think i'm spoiled w/the mods and deluxes now. :flower:

Kitty 34
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
First deluxe was (and still is) the SwanDolphin...hope that counts!! ;)

First and only value was AS Music

Have never stayed at a moderate.

weluvpluto
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
My first Deluxe was Poly(not counting when I was a kid :p ). It met our expectations and then some. It is our favorite but we love WL too, and still want to try some other deluxes.

Our first moderate was CBR, at the time it met our expectations, but it's not our favorite. POR and POFQ are :cloud9: and I would always try to get a room here before CBR.

Our first and most likely last value was ASSp. Overall we were not very happy and were not able to move. Just our personal taste though. :)

geetey
05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
First Home Away From Home - OKW 2 bedroom. DH's boss said we could use his time share for the annual fees and we traded in for OKW! HOLY COW! What a STEAL! $800 for the whole week in a 2 bedroom. Can you say spoiled?!?! We love the size of the unit. Loved being able to park in front of our room. We did feel like we were out of the action and would have preferred to be closer. We were in a unit very far from the pools and had to drive to that and the gift shop - didn't like that.

First Deluxe - YC standard view. We LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the Yacht Club. It was awesome! This was in 2000 and we were selected to be the Millineum Family of the Day by Captian Bob. That was a great trip.

First Moderate - haven't stay at one.

First Value - All Star Movies. Not the resort for us. Our room showed signs of HEAVY use and abuse (drawers falling apart, safe didn't work, etc) and we just can't bring ourselves to try an All Star resort again. I stayed at POP in January and it was great, so the entire family decided to try POP for this summer's trip. I am very excited!!

MemoryMakers2669
05-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Pretty easy to figure out from my Siggy! We have only been to one of each so far...POR, AKL and ASMo. We loved them all, with AKL being the best, ASMo being second and POR last.

SeaSpray
05-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Never been to a Value resort. And unless I go on a trip without DH, it looks like I never will have a chance to stay at one.

First Moderate: Caribbean Beach Resort- Martinique 25. I LOVED it. DSs loved it. DH loved it UNTIL we moved over to the Grand Floridian, now he's not looking back. lol

First Deluxe: Grand Floridian- Boca Chica - lagoon and castle view. This resort, and the view we had, has turned my DH into a resort snob. lol He refuses to stay anywhere other than a deluxe resort now.

I can't wait to experience the Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian resort, in 2 months. I'm looking forward to being able to compare more resorts, and the concierge services too. As of right now, I only have the above two resorts to go by.

Ladyhawke10
05-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Deluxe Grand Floridian! (see my tag...) I tried what turned out to be my all time favorite one right off the bat, and was sad when we had to move to the Wilderness Lodge after (though that one was nice, too...). GF is still my all time favorite :cheer2:

Moderate My first moderate was Port Orleans Riverside. I actually transferred from GF to Port Orleans on one trip, and the change was a bit abrupt! While I love the Port Orleans resorts, they don't compare to the deluxe experience for my family.

We've never tried a value.... ::MinnieMo

tkldisney
05-04-2005, 06:40 PM
First deluxe was: Poly it was great, but then I'd never stayed at deluxe .
First moderate: POR - loved it! Have been back!
First value: ASM, very good for the value. Would go back.

I like the Contemporary best, (hubby hates it) then GF which we'll be there in december. Can't wait for that one!!

I really liked POP too!

kandmwedding
05-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Out first deluxe will be the Wilderness Lodge this December. We're VERY excited. It'll also be our first MVMCP!! :bounce:

Our first moderate was POR on our honeymoon. I think this is the perfect resort for honeymooners on a budget. Very quiet, serene and romantic, but not too pricey. Loved it for a honeymoon, but wouldn't go back again. It's just not DISNEY enough for me. :love2:

Our first value was POP. We looooooove it!! Can't be the great rate and the decor is fantastic!! When I come to WDW I want to immersed in the Disney feeling and POP definitely does that! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

DVC-Don
05-04-2005, 07:31 PM
1st Deluxe: Beach Club, 1996

1st Moderate: Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside), 2000

1st Value: All Stars - Movies, 2003

1st Vacation Club Boardwalk Villas, 2001

DisneyJen0504
05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Let's see-havent stayed at that many but here goes....
First and Only Value-All Star Sports August 1998.
It was okay. It was our first trip to WDW since 1989 so I was just happy to be in the world. I was not disappointed but once I stayed at a moderate, I most likely wont go back to value. :rolleyes:
First Moderate-CBR June 2000
We loved CBR :sunny: -loved the theming, the resort as a whole was magical!! We had a blast! We tried CSR in June 2002 and fell in love with it so thats our new home away from home for now!
Hoping to be our First Deluxe in the near future-Polynesian
We hope to get to stay at Poly sooner rather than later! :cloud9:

rcraw45425
05-04-2005, 08:03 PM
1st time onsite was the Swan, March of '98, nice hotel, we were there for DH to attend a medical conference, seemed a lot like every other convention hotel. Then in fall of that same year we were back at the Contemporary as a reward for older DD being potty trained! We had a garden wing room, south wing. We enjoyed being immersed in the Disney experience. Since then it's been nothing but deluxes, DH is a snob, refuses to sleep in a full sized bed! I tend to agree. We cancelled our June trip because he needs a little time to recuperate from our Feb. and April trips, we're thinking about October again, gotta go to the Halloween party on his birthday!

nwdisgal
05-04-2005, 08:10 PM
First Deluxe - Was the AKL. We went there right after it opened and loved it.

First Moderate - CBR. Again we went right after it was refurbished. Everything was fresh, new and in great condition. Really enjoyed our stay there.

I have not been to a Value.

Fantasia - Cute Kids!

tlbwriter
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
I've only been once, and we stayed at the GF, complete with castle view. I'm afraid everything else will pale in comparison!

Planning to stay at a moderate next (POR), but I don't see us ever staying at a Value. I don't mind little kids (heck, I love 'em!!!) but rowdy teenagers are another story, and I don't want to be in a building full of them.

Jasminetigger
05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
First Deluxe was CR. I know I might be in the minority, but I wasn't crazy about this place. I cant' quite put my finger on it, but it just wasn't magical for me. (Our deluxe of choice now is WL)

First moderate was Dixie Landings. I loved this resort. The grounds were just so wonderful to walk around on. We love Boatrights. (I remember the first time we ate there, we thought the waitress left her cleaning rags on the table, but turned out to be the napkins. My DD got a kick out of this) Always had a great time at this resort.

First valus was ASSp. This was nice for a value. My dd loved the large megaphones. Nice to stay at if we were going to be in the parks a lot. :flower:

Jakesmom1
05-04-2005, 08:23 PM
First trip at onsite was a Deluxe- The Contemporary- In the 80's. My boyfriend had made the reservation. When we got to the room and found out is was not in the tower, my heart sank. Very nice room, but dissapointed that we were not in Main part of the hotel.

Second trip on site was Value - All Star Movies. Very nice, but also very crowded. My dh would go back in a heart beat, I would if only way I could stay on site.

Last trip on site was Moderate- CBR- Loved it, beautiful room, beautiful surroundings. Would stay there again and again. Just booked our July trip (waited for FL Res. discounts), couldnt get CBR, but got POFQ. Cant wait to see how it stacks up to CBR.

Magic2000
05-04-2005, 08:30 PM
1st Value Resort was All Star Movies!! We LOVED it!!! We stayed in the 101 Dalmations section (DD's request) and every morning, when we would walk by the huge "TV", DD would pretend she was on TV and talk with the little dog!
We have since tried Pop Century, and also LOVE it!!! We've stayed at Pop Century twice now, and we'll be back for a split stay in a few weeks!!!

1st Moderate Resort was POFQ! We've stayed there a couple of times too, and we really liked it a lot!!! In fact, its the only moderate we've stayed at, and we will be back in a few weeks!!!

1st Deluxe Resort was Polynesian, and we LOVED it!!!! It was so relaxing!!! It is definitely DH's favorite hotel!!! We've stayed at the Polynesian a couple of times, and it is so nice!!! Of course, I did finally get to stay at the Grand Floridian for an early December (2002) trip, and there is nothing like the GF at Christmas time!!!! It was so pretty!!! Definitely a family favorite!!! Then, last summer, we tried Wilderness Lodge, and LOVED it too!! My DD loved the slide, and we all just enjoyed the hotel so much!!! Oh, and the Contemporary was wonderful too - the convenience of walking to MK is great!!! The Swan was also very nice!!! (Its very hard to pick a favorite for the deluxes - we loved each one we've stayed at!)

CARRIE0604
05-04-2005, 08:34 PM
What a great theme topic!

1st deluxe-poly 2000 (the volcano pool was being built,so we missed it)

1st value-asmusic-2001( a spur of the moment trip with just me and 2 kids)

1st moderate-pofq 2004( family trip with sister and parents)

in-between- dtd grosvenor 2002,doubletree 2003

I love Poly and POFQ, I liked ASMUSIC and I Liked the DTD Hotels
But we all decided we had to go back to the POLY so this year we are staying home(gasp!) and saving for a 10day stay at POLY in 2006>

mom2grace
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
This is so much fun to read and it brings back great memories!

First Deluxe was Contemporary, I was about 7 (I'm 34 now). I remember most the huge arcade and the caricature artist! :)

Then we spent many trips through the 70's-80's at Ft. Wilderness .....remember River Country and the armadillos.

With DH have been twice to Poly, love it a lot!

Next trip we are planning on trying WL for DD's 5th birthday (and her first trip!)

I guess Ft. Wilderness is home away from home, have not stayed at a Value or Mod I guess!

Tinkaroo
05-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Favorite Deluxe - have only stayed at the Swan and AKL thus far. Our fave was AKL - hands down!!! Swan just wasn't all that great, IMO. The Heavenly Beds were comfy, but you can get those at any Westin property. I'd only stay there again if I'm using SPG points (which we have enough of, and will probably use for, 5 nights of our stay in 2006).

I've only otherwise stayed in one moderate, and one value. We liked CBR - it was our first onsite property as well, so I think it will always have a special place in our heart. Pop was OK for the 1st night of our last trip, but just wasn't our thing - although I'd happily stay there if it was the only way I could stay onsite. The theming is neat, but we did find the room REALLY small, and the resort just kind of crowded in general.

c&m
05-04-2005, 11:14 PM
First Deluxe: WDW Dolphin. Loved this resort. DH and I stayed there in 2000 for a vacation and really enjoyed every aspect of our trip. We loved the grotto pool, Palio restaurant in the Swan (the best sea bass I ever had), Tubbi's in the morning, the proximity to Epcot (our fave park), the Boardwalk area. Everything about it was fabulous. Hope to stay there again!

First Moderate: Port Orleans French Quarter. This was a nice resort. We were there in 1996. It was OK then but when we visited there again last month (walked over from POR where we were staying), it seemed so much more prettier of a resort than back then. We like this resort. But I think we like POR much more.

Value: Never stayed at any of the value resorts yet. I wouldn't mind saving the $$$ to stay at one; but my DH really wants peace and quiet at the resort after a noisy, go-go-go day at the parks, and we don't think we can get that peaceful feeling at the value resorts.

spresso81
05-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Hello all,

First Value - NONE

First Mod - I stayed with my parents at the CBR in its very first year of operation, I believe 1988 or 1989. We loved it. It was so much nicer than any of the Disney Village hotels for any of you who have ever stayed there I am sure you would agree. We liked the CBR so much we stayed there 13 more times - now I have my GF hooked on it.

First Deluxe - I am doing my single digit DANCE! :cool1: This will be my first deluxe trip as we (my GF any myself) will split an 8 day trip between the CBR and AKL. I am so excited to try the AKL with out Sav. view. Give me 20 days and I'll update this.

Stephen

DAWGPOUNDAJ
05-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind that I rarely have expectations about a resort before I visit it. The only expectation I ever have is to have fun, and even in a run down, Dominican resort, with a line of cockroaches sneaking in under a crack in the room door, I still had the time of my life. So keep in mind it's pretty hard for something to bother me.

Okay, so my first Deluxe was the Polynesian: I was a kid so didn't really have any expectations, but I remember wondering where the food court was. I'm not too big on restaurants so I was really hesistant to go into Ohana's, but wound up loving the place with it's coconut races and characters at breakfast. The impression of this place stuck and on our next visit (when I was in my late teens) I had a blast again. There's nothing that I do not like about this resort, minus an actual food court. The theming, CM's, rooms, decor in the rooms, bathrooms, beds, lake, etc. are all wonderful.

Moderate: Again I first stayed here when I was a kid and also had no expectations, except for it to be colorful and fun. I fell in love with this resort, and it has since become my favorite resort in the world. I absolutely adore it. The lake, the pathways around it, the little island with birds in the middle of it, the watercraft rental... Just floating out on the lake in a paddleboat, watching the water flicker around you with NO other resorts in sight.... It's a serene feeling that cannot be found anywhere else on WDW property. It's completely, totally, and utterly private, yet you can see all the fun happening on shore from your spot in the middle of the lake. Magical! The food court blew me away as well here. The only downside to it now is Shutters, b/c I have no idea why they added a restaurant that is overpriced, serving practically the same thing that the food court already does. :confused3 But I'll put it this way, we had a completely free budge for our honeymoon (AKA could have stayed concierge at the GF had we wanted to) and chose to come here instead. Thats how much we love this resort!

Value: All Star Music. This trip was a high school graduation present from my parents for my husband (at the time he was my boyfriend :love: ) and I. I had never heard of the place, but they handed us directions so we could drive down there and we found it and stared in shock at the HUGE marambas (Is that what their called? Forgive the musically dis-inclined here!) That being said, WE LOVED IT and the staring was in a good way! We had the building at the far back of the resort and found the pool back there to always be quiet, and we think that the All Stars have the best selections of any of the WDW food courts on property. THe bright colors all around screamed "CHEERFUL" and evne though it was the end of June at the time, it was very quiet in our hotel room.

beccasmom
05-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Great post! It brings back wonderful memories! :cloud9:

Deluxe - Contemporary - June, 1981 - so exciting to be staying in the hotel with the monorail running through it! MK was only park except for Discovery Island and River Country. Rooms were huge and comfortable. Breakfast and lunch at Top of the World! Taking the water launch over to Hoop-de-Doo. I cried when we had to go home! :sad:

Moderate - Caribbean Beach - sometime after it first opened - all the "islands" were not open yet! - We stayed in the Trinidad closest to the food court area - there was only one Trinidad open at that time! Enjoyed the food court and eating outside - until the birds descended on us! :rolleyes: We were there in December and the weather was so lovely! Room was, of course, much smaller than Contemporary, but basically very nice. Loved walking around the lake at night - or as far as we could go since there was construction going on!

We are now DVC members and rarely stay at the hotels, although we did make a trip in March 2000 and stayed at the Contemporary. We were not wild about the new decor, but loved being able to walk to the MK. Dearly miss Top of the World! Still get a thrill riding the monorail! Many happy memories! :lovestruc

Leota
05-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Great Thread, Fantasia!

First Onsite - Home Away From Home- Fort Wilderness Cabins. We loved it so much, we stayed there 2 more trips & have plans to stay there with the Grandsons in Dec.

First Deluxe- Beach Club. My Dream resort. :cloud9: Paid rack rate in 2000 - was worth every penny. I loved every minute, every detail, every single thing about the resort.

First Moderate- Coronado Springs. The only Mod we've done. Loved it - We were pleasantly surprised at just how much we did love it. We would stay there again.

First Value- All Star Sports. First & Only Value stay. It just wasn't for us. We had a great trip despite the sleep deprivation from all the noise. But, I wouldn't stay Value again unless it was the only way I could get to WDW.

I'm glad we have tried all the different resorts that we have. I did plan to stay at all the WDW resorts (except Values). But have become completely hooked on the Swan / Dolphin resorts. I just love evrything about them & they have become our favorite place to stay. We'll probably throw in a few nights here & there at other mods or deluxes occasionally, but S/D has become our WDW home......

tlbwriter
05-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Moderate: Again I first stayed here when I was a kid and also had no expectations, except for it to be colorful and fun. I fell in love with this resort, and it has since become my favorite resort in the world. I absolutely adore it. The lake, the pathways around it, the little island with birds in the middle of it, the watercraft rental... Just floating out on the lake in a paddleboat, watching the water flicker around you with NO other resorts in sight.... It's a serene feeling that cannot be found anywhere else on WDW property. It's completely, totally, and utterly private, yet you can see all the fun happening on shore from your spot in the middle of the lake. Magical! The food court blew me away as well here. The only downside to it now is Shutters, b/c I have no idea why they added a restaurant that is overpriced, serving practically the same thing that the food court already does. :confused3 But I'll put it this way, we had a completely free budge for our honeymoon (AKA could have stayed concierge at the GF had we wanted to) and chose to come here instead. Thats how much we love this resort!

Am I missing something, or did you forget to tell us the name of this wonderful resort? :teeth:

Bugsmom73
05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
First Deluxe- CR, I loved the monorail and Chef Mickey's however, I love WL more.

First Moderate- CBR- have stayed there twice and I have loved each time.

First Value- Never stayed at one.

We will be trying our first value next Jan w/ Pop Century and AKL, which is a new deluxe too.

skiwee1
05-05-2005, 08:27 AM
My first onsite resort was the CBR. We thought it was great to be so close to Disney. The maids left little cute towel bunnies and we were thrilled! We have never heard of such a thing! We ended up staying there 4 times telling ourselsves that anyone that paid $250 for a deluxe must be crazy. We couldn't imagine spending that much for a room! We then heard how cheap the WL was so we gave that a try. It was only $155 an night so we went for it though I didn't see the appeal of that one. Well, we stepped into the lobby and couldn't believe our eyes. It has the most gorgeous lobby of all Disney resorts. We loved the view we had from our balcony and the theming of the pool was great. We found ourselves hating to leave to resort to go to the parks! We loved to just veg out in the lobby or poolside. We were figuring out why people spouted on and on about deluxes. What we didn't like about the WL was the transportation problems. It didn't ruin our trip by any means but we decided to go a little higher in the deluxes if the price was right. So we went for the Poly with a good rate of $190 a night. Well that did it for us. We fell in love with the whole place. The music, themed pool, overall ambiance of the resort, the view, the aromas of the tropical flowers. We were overwhelmed. Since then we haven't looked back. We stay at the Poly all the time and we don't care what it costs! Though a discount is always welcome! We are trying out the CR tower this December. My mom, who is getting up in age, has always wanted to stay in THE Disney resort just once in her life. We are forgoing our favorite resort just once to do this. I can't wait!

gilld
05-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Our first De Luxe was the Poly and we hated it! Sorry I know most of you love it but for us it was dark, dirty and in poor repair and that smell!!! We're trying the GF later in the year...I'm sure we'll love it there.

Moderate was POFQ which we loved. The smallness and the theming suited us. A very friendly resort.

Value was ASMo which was fine. Liked the theming more than the others and as we were travelling with children didn't worry about the noise.

clutter
05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Fantasis, my firsts are the same as yours!

First Deluxe: WL. It was also my first on-site, we moved there from HIFS (now Nick). I was like... so what? It was beautiful, I'll give you that. But I didn't love the room, didn't like riding the boat to MK in the fog. Didn't do it for me. Since then, we've stayed at (in order of favorites) Dolphin, AKL and CR. We'll be staying at BC next month, we'll see if it can top the Dolphin (of which the best part is the location!)

First Moderate: CBR. That was a magical stay, cut short by a family tragedy. I LOVED it there, and so wished we'd been able to finish our stay. Also stayed at POR, and loved it (I'm a moderate kind of gal, but we're more food court types), and will stay at POFQ in less than a month.

First Value: All-Stars. Well worth the price, since I got it for $49/night! Now that my dd swims, I doubt we'll go back (prefer ASMu) unless it's not swimming season. She LOVES her slides.

Fun thread, maybe someday, I'll get to stay at all the resorts.

arizonacolbys
05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Deluxe:
Our first Deluxe stay was at the Polynesian Resort in Dec 2002 - the only reason we ended up here was due to the Caribbean Beach closing for rehab, so we got moved for a great rate! :teeth: We also stayed at the Wilderness Lodge that trip, which has become my favorite Deluxe based on theme & atmosphere. I just LOVE it there! :love: (Especially when they have the huge Christmas tree in the lobby!) We also stayed in the Contemporary Resort in March 2003 due to the SOG being rehabbed. We really love the Contemporary & Polynesian, especially for the monorail & proximity to the MK! :wizard:

Moderate:
Haven't made it to a Moderate yet!

Value:
Our 1st 2 trips to WDW together we stayed at AS Movies. We really love it there & it will always be special to us, since it was our 1st Resort together. My new favorite Value is now POP Century! I just love it there. We will be there for the 3rd time next week!!! We can't wait! :love:

I'm looking forward to trying some Moderates in the future - Coronado Springs is on the top of my must-do list. :teeth:

mkymouse4ever
05-05-2005, 08:44 AM
1st time we "thought" we were on property = Hotel Royal Plaza. Years ago TA sold this to us, In it's hey day. It was very nice. They called and told us to not have our towel on the balcony, "this was a nice hotel".

1st Real Disney Resort = CBR Loved it! Were very excited, they built something we could afford! We where hooked! ::MickeyMo

1st Deluxe = CR Tower = We hit the big time. Great view, Everything we dreamed about. Been back so many times we have watched the place need the rehab it is getting. :wizard:

1st Home away from Home= BWV 1 br. Very nice room resort. Unfortunately they had just opened and had MANY service problems during our stay, enough we never went back. :rolleyes: (yet).

1st Disney Cruise= Wonder 3 day. Tried it out, where skepitcal, new to cruising liked it, really liked castaway cay (that needs a disney resort) :sunny: Been on 2 so far.

Favorite Resort = Now I would say 1. Poly 2. CR 3. BC 4. PORS

MKY princess:

Mymatisse
05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
First Deluxe resort was the Beach Club. It exceeded all expectations and I think it has earned a special place as my favorite!

First moderate was Port Orleans French Quarter. We stayed there under crummy circumstances as our flight was cancelled and we were only there one night. The weather was horrible and we were exausted! I believe that colored my judgement a litte, but I left thinking that POFQ was a pretty resort but NOT worth what we paid. If I'm gonna pay that much money I don't want outside corridors, I want a hotel.

Never stayed at a value and really have no interest.

MKFan-PR
05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
First Deluxe - CR when I was a kid. But I don't remember much so that doesn't count. My official first Deluxe is the Poly. Loved the place corner to corner. My only complaint was the bus stop, but with the new one now it's great. It's hard to return due to budget constraints, but I'll go back as soon as I can!

First Moderate - CBR. Our first trip with my DW as adults and the same year we were married. We loved the 'feel' of the place, even though we didn't know better at the time and stayed in the dreaded Trinidad South (loooooooooooong walk to OPR and the Food Court :faint: ). Had a great time 'rediscovering' Disney.

First Value - ASSp. Only there for one night, on our last vacation. Great for families. Quite busy. Not for couples. We stayed in the Tennis Building, and we actually liked it very much. Would definitely stay there again!

kellypops
05-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Great question!

1st deluxe--CR, when the park just opened and I was a kid. Between peering into the lobby to see the monorail come through (I STILL love that!) and hanging out on the balcony to see the electrical water barges come by, I was in heaven. CR is still my favorite--I know lots of folks pooh-pooh it and talk about its out-of-date, Jetson-style theming, I still get goosebumps when I see it from a distance. It's my computer's wallpaper!

1st moderate--Actually, this July DH and I will spend our anniversary at POFQ, and I can't wait! We did a lot of research looking into what each mod had, and thanks to the comments written on this site, we decided POFQ has just the right amount of ambience and romance that we're looking for. And the AP rate can't be beat!

1st value--I haven't, but my DH spend a night at ASMo, and did not enjoy it. I don't think it was the resort itself, but I think he was spoiled by the mod/deluxe resorts he's stayed at before. He said he felt like he was in a motel room with a Disney theme--but that's exactly what it's supposed to be, right?

4greatboys
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Our very first resort stay was All Star Sports. We loved, the kids loved.
Our first first deluxe stay was YC concierge. The room was great. We loved the whole resort.
Our first mod stay was POR. We stayed in AB. I loved the landscape and the rooms were great. The only thing I didnt care for is that our room was pretty far from the bus stop.

HM
05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
First Deluxe -WL
First (only) Moderate -CBR
First Valune -ASMu

First trip...8 days at ASMu
Second trip...4 nights CBR/3 nights WL
all other family trips.....DELUXE! (AKL, Poly, BWI, GF, YC)
-HM

MiJo
05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Moderate: POR, 1999
Deluxe: AKL, 2002

We have always enjoyed our stays at WDW, regardless of where we were. We have now stayed at POR twice; AKL once; CSR once and POFQ once.

vettechick99
05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
The GF was my first stay on property and first deluxe. It was wonderful - pure luxury!

I can't remember my first Mod, but I like them all.

OKW was my first HAFH and I didn't like the "condo" atmosphere but loved the room size.

All Star Sports was my only value and there wasn't much I liked about it. We stayed because it was New Years Eve and that's all that was available. I wouldn't stay there again, but I'd try Pop!

wdwgirls2
05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
First Deluxe - Poly :love:

First Mod - POR :love:

First Value - ASMu :(

Loved Poly - I'm a big fan of tiki torches. Loved POR - always reminds me of my honeymoon. Didn't care for ASMu - food court and room too small.

Michelle

MPLsDad
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
What did or didn't like about your first stay at the deluxe, moderate or value?
Did the place met your expectation or were you dissapointed? Is this your favorite resort?

Deluxe: WL~ Our first deluxe! We went in Dec 2004 and went in Feb 2005. Beautifully done with Christmas decorations. I can't think of anything I don't like about this resort. I just wish that their food court was bigger and have more varieties.
It met my expectation. This is a breathtaking resort! We stayed in the Courtyard both times. This is our first and only stay at the deluxe... so I guess so far this is my favorite!

Moderate: CBR~ I liked the themeing, the food court with lots to choose from, I liked the hammocks. I didn't like the fact that twice our visits, there were cockroaches in our room. The carpet wet. The tub drainage is clogged.
I was a little bit dissapointed the fact of what I have experienced in the room. We stayed in Jamaica #45 in Sept 2000- not renovated. Then the second time, we stayed in Martinique #26 in June 2004- already went through renovation.

Value: ASMovies~ I can't think of anything I don't like about this resort. Seeing and hearing little children everywhere doesn't bother me cause I have small children myself. Stayed at ASMo Sept 2000, Dec 2001, and March 2005. I have stayed at POP and loved everything about it. I guess POP is now my favorite value. I still like ASMo!!

If I ever see you at WDW, I'm going to buy you the sweetest sundae or something thereof I can find - you always have something nice to say and represent what the Dis boards should be (but not always) are about! :grouphug:

sherry8253
05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
First deluxe was CR - tower room back in the 70's. First moderate - CBR. Never stayed in a value but would chose POP if I stayed in a value. It looks like fun.

whooo hoooo just hit 1,000 post! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

minijeanie
05-05-2005, 07:45 PM
first Deluxe was WL - we thought we died and went to heaven. kids were 5 & 4 at the time and we just check out from Quality Inn (outside the world) because we had no "magic" feeling. Will always love WL....

First Moderate was Port Orleans- Kids loved the pool...I happened to like that resort as well.

Never stayed at Value-

pam66
05-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Our first, and only deluxe resort was the Beach Club. We loved it and returned there to stay at the villas in 02. The location of the resort and Storm Along Bay can't be beat. Our first moderate was Coronado Springs. A very pretty resort but too spread out for me. We stayed in the French Quarter last summer and liked it much better. DD loved the pool and I loved the atmosphere and how close everything was. We haven't stayed in a value resort....yet.

ead79
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Deluxe--BoardWalk Inn--I loved it. It remains one of my favorite Disney resorts. I love the casual elegance and the feeling of relaxation it offers combined with the hustle and bustle of the BoardWalk itself. I also love the decor and theming. Of course, the location is great too. :)

Moderate--I haven't stayed at a moderate yet (but I'll be at POR in a mere 9 days Woo Hoo!)

Value--All Star Music--I have stayed here twice, and I enjoyed myself both times. I don't like that there's only one sink, but otherwise I really liked it. As far as value resorts go, I prefer Pop Century, but I wouldn't mind another stay at ASMu at all. :)

crazy4wdw
05-05-2005, 08:12 PM
First Deluxe - Contemporary Resort (1972), I was just amazed at the place, I had never seen anything like it, especially for a 12 year old.

First Moderate - Caribbean Beach, stayed there just after it opened. Too big for my liking

First Value- All Star Music, stayed there also right after it opened, the entire resort was not finished.

*Fantasia*
05-05-2005, 08:31 PM
If I ever see you at WDW, I'm going to buy you the sweetest sundae or something thereof I can find - you always have something nice to say and represent what the Dis boards should be (but not always) are about! :grouphug:

Thank you! I love sundae...with cherries on top! :flower: DIS board should be fun and educational whether it be about Disney or not. I try to keep away from debates, especially those that ends up being "ugly." It's all about fun and respecting each other whether you disagree or agree with the topics. :flower:

Thanks everyone!! :)
I enjoy reading every post! Please keep it coming! :cheer2: :banana:

ctrabada
05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
First Deluxe: Polynesian in the late 70's with my parents... yep, way back when WDW only had 2 resorts... I thought it was awesome. After 30 years I'm going back (tomorrow, yeah!) with my DH and DD7.

First Moderate: CBR in 1999. It was ok, but not great. All we remember is long waits for the bus and slightly damp room.

First Value: Pop in 2004 and we loved it. Have come back to it whenever we want to do a "quickie" weekend to WDW.

tomerin
05-05-2005, 09:44 PM
our first stay was at ASM. it was a good place to stay. kids running around dont bother me but the drunken redsox fans did, that was something else. both of my DS at the time hadnt reached the teen growth spurt so the rooms werent too confining.

we havent stayed at any moderates yet but like POR

our deluxe stay was at the WL. courtyard view. both of my DS were very impressed with the WL and the surrounding area. would like to stay there again.
plenty of room the rapidly growing teens. bunk beds were a lifesaver there

our next stay willl be at Saratoga Springs, our DVC home resort. havent stayed there but we have been there and were impressed enough to buy

as the years go on we have decided to try and stay at each hotel.

halfway there
05-06-2005, 08:01 AM
1st deluxe: Yacht Club. We loved everything about it and every minute of our stay except losing our daughter at the pool! DH was supposed to be watching her. :ssst: I do think this is our favorite resort so far.

1st moderate: CBR. This was shortly after it first opened and we loved it! It was just the two of us back then. ;) Now I think I like CSR the best of all the moderates.

1st value: AS Sports. It was only for one night the first time. We did return for a longer stay later that was very enjoyable but I still think I like Movies or POP better. :goodvibes

bear22
05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Never stayed in a deluxe-Too much $$$$

1st moderate was CSR-awesome.....the pool are was great for my kids and the playground. Pepper market had great food.

1st value was ASsports. I'm a sports freak that's all I can say. The food court was good and the transportation was good.

shafke
05-06-2005, 08:22 AM
First Deluxe: Wilderness Lodge... we were extremely pleased with this resort. Only 2 complaints. Food court and laundry were both way too small for a resort this size.

First Moderate: Port Orleans: Riverside (aka Dixie Landings). No complaints at all.

Values: never have, never plan on it

I don't know where Fort Wilderness fit in the scheme of things.. probably between Deluxe and Moderate.

Cindybell
05-06-2005, 08:37 AM
First Value: All Stars Movies, It was OK and I would have probably like it more if I would have had very young children with me but they were around 10 and 11 so were not as impressed.

First Moderate: CBR I loved the Island feeling and since this was our first time on site we really didn't have anything to compare it to. I remember walking to the food court each morning and thinking this was the best part of the whole day. It was just so pretty seeing the sun shine on the lake and all the white sand and pink buildings. I have not gone back only because I like trying out different resorts.

First deluxe: AKL I like this resort but only because of the animals. I really missed all the beautiful grounds at the other resorts. I thought the food at Boma's was great.

Only 40 days until WDW! :cool1:

Praise2Him
05-06-2005, 09:08 AM
First Deluxe - AKL - stayed there right after it opened, LOVED it! Have since stayed at almost all deluxes (except OKW & SSR) - love them all except for Poly (it was okay) - hard to pick a favorite, but it's between GF, CR, YC & BW.

First Moderate - CBR - stayed there in 1989 - I think not long after it opened - liked it. Have since stayed at all moderates - POFQ is my hands down favorite!

First Value - ASSp - liked it. Have since stayed at all values. Like them all (except for no water slides or hot tubs) - PC is my favorite.

spiceycat
05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
first deluxe - back in 73 - Polyn - it was a wonderful hotel

first moderate (wasn't called at the time a moderate but a value) - CBR

first value - All Star Music

pepe of ohio
05-07-2005, 08:19 AM
For many years since our first time, 1977, we always stayed at the Contemporary, north garden wing. One year, just before we were to leave, we got a call from Disney asking us if we would like a free up grade to the Grand Floridian. We took it. Didn't like it at all, too spread out, too la-dee-da for our liking. Wilderness Lodge just opened that trip and we visited it and fell in love with the place and booked it for our next stay. That episode broke our staying at the Contemporary. From then on, we have tried:
Dixie Landings: One night, had room, mold issues and were up graded to the Yacht and Beach.
Beach Club: Great to see EPCOT and MGM, great pool, great resort.
Polynesian: Our favorite, we like the MK the beat and like the monorail travel to the other resorts and EPCOT
Pop Century: One night, couldn't get all our days at the Poly, couldn't get out of there fast enough. We're too old for all that hoopala and kids.
AKL: Again, couldn't get all the days we wanted at Poly and took first 3 nights there and switched to the Poly. Didn't like AKL at all, too dark, food offering we just what they had and along ride to someplace elase. AK closes at 5pm, then what, a bus to somewhere else and a bus back. Long, long walk to rooms and not too friendly CM's in resort.

All in all, our picks are deluxes, with Poly number 1, Wilderness Lodge number 2 and Yacht and Beach anywhere in there depending on what parks we're really going to conquor in our stay.

CarolinaBlue
05-07-2005, 01:00 PM
First Value: All Star Music With two small children, we were just thrilled to
be able to stay onsite. We really did like it there.

First Moderate: POFQ We will be there in December and are excited!

First Deluxe: WL or AKL We plan to stay at one of these next summer.

Tiffany
05-07-2005, 06:50 PM
The first moderate I stayed in was CBR back in 1991.

The first value resort I stayed in was All Star Sports back in 1994.

The first deluxe was the YC back in 1998.

Connor&Cody'sMom
05-07-2005, 08:14 PM
1st (and only) Deluxe: AKL. :love: We loved everything about this resort. My DS would have spent the entire trip on the balcony watching animals if I'd let him. We loved Boma's breakfast buffet. We planned on eating some breakfasts at Mara, but after one breakfast at Boma I made PS for breakfast there the rest of the week. DS's loved the arcade and the pool, and the animals..... :lovestruc:

1st (and only) Value: ASMovies. DS's were younger, so this was perfect for their first visit. They loved the pool, and the Toy Story characters. They would run ahead of us every morning to greet the huge Rex in the courtyard.

Probably will do deluxes from now on. They're just nicer, and have more room for our growing boys.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

amy1976
05-07-2005, 08:55 PM
My first deluxe was when I went with my parents, we stayed at the Polynesian. From what I remember of it the place was great.

My first deluxe as an adult was our honeymoon at GF. I loved this hotel and it is by far my favorite. I felt like a queen while I stayed there. The convenience of the monorail and boats made everything all that much better.

I have not stayed at moderate or value yet.

We stayed at the Grovesnor in DTD and were not that found of it. I felt it lacked that "Disney feel".

All Aboard
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
First Deluxe was the Contemporary in 1977. Second was the Polynesian a year later.

As an adult (barely), my first on-site experience came in 1988, (spending more money than I had and) staying at the newly opened Caribbean Beach Resort.

After a lengthy drought (years of off-site lodging), I stayed at DxL and PO in 2000 and our first Value experience came at All Star Sports later that year. My first Deluxe stay with my family came at Animal Kindom Lodge in 2001. Since 2000, we've stayed at every WDW resort except Saratoga Springs and the Boardwalk. Later this year, we are staying at the Boardwalk, which will leave us with just one to complete the circuit.

goin2disneyagain
05-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Deluxe-AKL, absolutely blew me away. Love it!! May 2003

Moderate-CBR, love the tropical theming and the music. Nov. 2001

Value-All Star Music, it was nice and my 1st WDW onsite experience. Nov. 1995

marcyinPA
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
We've never stayed in a Deluxe.

Our first Moderate was POR. Loved it.

We also stayed at OKW in a studio, and FW cabins. Both were great!

Never done a value either!

kewlgrl127
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Contemporary Resort Tower Room~ This was my first ever trip to Disney in 1991, when i was 7 years old. Although I loved the hotel at the time my favorite Deluxe is definitly the Beach Club. The other ones I've stayed at are: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge.

Port Orleans French Quarter~ My first stay at a moderate was a year and a half ago. I really liked this hotel. The grounds were gorgeous. I also stayed at Riverside and I liked it but FQ is my fave.

I only stayed in a value once, on an 8th grade field trip. We stayed at ASMu. I didnt really love it. On my trip next week I'm staying at Pop Century and am so excited! It looks like such a fun resort!

TDC Nala
05-07-2005, 09:55 PM
deluxe - Contemporary, 1992

moderate - Coronado Springs, 2000

value - All Star Sports, 1995

Home Away From Home - Boardwalk, 2002

robinb
05-07-2005, 09:57 PM
My first resorts:

Value: All Star Music in 1997.
It was my very first on-site resort. I loved the Disney Magic. I hated the resort. I hated that everything was so spread out and I hated the pool. I have not been back since, but we were hooked on Disney. We bought into DVC 2 months later. It's not a "Value" resort thing. I have been to All Star Sports and POP and love them both.

Moderate:
Caribbean Beach Resort in 2001.
We had a good building, only a few away from the OPR. The room was nice and I liked the whole resort. I have not been back since we don't stay at moderates very often and I want to try them all. However, I would return as long as I paid for a premium room near OPR. I would hate to be too far from the main pool and food court.

Deluxe:
Contemporary Resort in 2002
Loved it, loved it, loved it! I would go back in a heartbeat, even in the Garden View room that we had. We were put there when Shades of Green was being re-done and my mom is a Navy window (my Dad died while in the Navy). The $79 per night was icing on the cake, but I would pay more. I love being able to walk to the MK, I love the lounge and the restaurants, I love the monorail. {sigh}

Home Away From Home:
Old Key West in 1997.
My first DVC "home". We loved having a huge 1 bedroom overlooking the golf course. It was so nice! We have been back many times since, but have recently "upgraded" to sharing a Grand Villa with friends over NYE. That Grand Villa is bigger than either one of our houses!

Cindy B
05-08-2005, 08:22 AM
First Value-- All Star Sports 1999 (not bad and the kids were so excited) Our favorite value is POP though. We went there this past November

Deluxe-- Wilderness. This is our only deluxe, so I can't compare it to anything else

Moderate-- havent' been to one yet, but am planning to try Coronado this summer

jgalecpa
05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
First Deluxe:

The "Grand" Floridian.

We took are kids to WDW in summer 1992 for the first time, Had one DD 3 and one DD 9 months.

This was a big reward to the family after yet another stressfilled, hectic and successful tax season.

Since DW's had recently moved to Atlanta, we drove from DC to Atlanta. Atlanta stay was not good. Her brother was going through some tough times and it was just not good.

Huge vacation did not start well.

Drove from ATL to WDW. Stifling heat in the summer.

Knew we were in for something special the moment we came around the bend and saw the Grand.

Beautiful and serene, she sat like a queen in a courtyar.

We pulled up to the front, I was immediately greeted by "Jimmy", and was made to feel at home.

Than, While DW was getting the kids out, etc I stepped into the lobby.

OMG!

Immediately I was greeted by a woman in Victoria garb, carrying a parasol and a tray of Lemonade.

I rushed back out side and said to DW "This is US!"

We had a castle view, the place was gorgeous, we discovered Narcoosies.

Then, to make it even more special, one day as we are waiting at the MK for the little boat to bring us back to the GF, our youngest daughter took her first steps!!!!

We have since been back a number of times.

Second Deluxe:

In 1999 when the GF was undergoing renovations, we stayed at the Poly. It was nice, but it was not the Grand.

We went to visit the Grand and felt right at home again.

We are going back in December (12/20 - 12/23) to see the Grand at Xmas for the first time.

Some friends, who know the cost of the GF, wonder how you can pay that much for one hotel.

If you've stayed at the Grand, you know it's worth it.

Jim

PS I've been fortunate enough to stay at other so-called four star hotels through the world.

None comes close to the Grand

Liz
05-08-2005, 10:23 AM
My first deluxe was the Contemporary with my mom back in 1976 or '77. I think we paid about $65 a night! We later stayed at the Poly and actually liked that better. Have also stayed at the Dolphin and its fabulous!!

First moderate was PORS. Didn't like our room location (facing parking lot). Overall it was okay but I'm not anxious to go back. On another trip we stayed at CS and fell in love with it!

First and only stay at a value was ASMovies and we loved that too! In less than a month we're trying Pop and hope to have a great experience there.

eeyore0062
05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Our first Deluxe resort was Wilderness Lodge. Liked the ambience and pool, but wasn't thrilled with the room... too small and cramped, not to mention dark.

Our first experience at a Moderate was also our 1st experience onsite. It was a Dixie Landings in 1993. We loved it so much, we have stayed there several times since, before branching out to other resorts.

So far, our only experience with a value has been AS-Mo. Very cute, but didn't like the bus transportation, and be warned... take ear plugs or you will be hearing the toilets flush all night all around you.

cranbiz
05-08-2005, 01:25 PM
First Deluxe : Animal Kingdom Lodge
This is our first and only deluxe, and we would go back in a heartbeat. The themeing, BOMA and JIKO, the activities and the animals. We did not feel cramped in our rooms, we just loved having coffee on the balcony and watching the savannah before going to the parks.

First Moderate : Carribean Beach Resort
Well, not our first until June, but looking forward to it. Is is my DB and DSIL's most favorite resort, I'm sure it will be ours. DW is just looking forward to sitting on the beach.

First Value : All Star Music
OK, noisy but acceptable. I would go back IF it was the only way to stay onsite, but may try POP sometime.

Lately we stay in our Florida house and drive the 45 minutes. DW and I have AP's so that spending a couple of hours and then a meal works for us.

In June, we are staying at the house, except for a couple of days at our annaversary, which will be at CBR.

mking624
05-08-2005, 01:38 PM
First Deluxe: Grand Floridian...1989. I remember exactly what the room looks like...but not the rest of the resort. I was only 8 at the time...went with my aunt & uncle.

First Moderate: Caribbean Beach Resort...2000. My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon. We both loved it, but since it rained all day every day during our stay, we want to go back so we can actually enjoy it.

First Value: All Star Movies...2003. Though it wasn't *horrible*, I'd prefer not to stay there again. We're trying Pop this year to see how similar/different it is.

*Fantasia*
05-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences on your first stays. I enjoyed every post! I would like to hear some more if there are any... Thanks! :flower:

Tiger Fan
05-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Our first deluxe was The Yacht Club and we absolutely loved it! We had a view of the wedding gazebo and enjoyed coming back each afternoon to a fun wedding, characters and all! The pool at this resort is also one of our very favorites!

Our first moderate was POFQ and we also found this to be a great resort. I'm not sure if I'd try other moderates as we loved this one so much. We've tried other deluxes and values, but just can't bring ourselves to try another moderate.

Our first value was All Star Sports and we liked it, but found we liked All Star Movies just a bit better. We had great room locations both times, but being such huge Toy Story fans, we just got silly each day waking up in Andy's Room!!

Great thread!
Lisa
Tiger Fan