PDA

View Full Version : shades of green

MOMOFMNM
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
this is my first post here!! I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on the Shades Of Green Resort at WDW? I am definitely buying attraction tickets here as we have mil id's and could sat here for 594 for 6 nights in Oct but my kids are begging me to stay off site at Nickelodeon Family Suites which does look SUPER cool and fun but would cost about 400 more but thier activities and pool areas and suites look awesome!! I also wanted to let anyone else with gov or military id's to email me for a link to a TON of discounts in the area like cheap car rentals and free visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens!! jennifer@bigbrains.com is my email... any info on the SOG resort would be helpful!!!

:earsgirl: ::MinnieMo :wizard:
OCTOBER 2005 my daughters first trip to MAGIC!!
and they say magic isn't real....they've never been to DISNEY!

GJM
05-04-2005, 02:54 PM
We have stayed at SOG a couple of times and we love it. We did stay at the Holiday Inn Family Suites, which is know Nickelodeon Family Suites. We were lucky and paid $73 per night with a Entertainment Card about 2 years ago. My DS loved this hotel and he wants to go back since it is Nickelodeon now. He liked having his own separate area and loved the pool, he would probably love it even more now. We are probably going back in Aug. or Sept. just me and my DS and will stay at SOG I really love this hotel we can walk over to the Poly. and take the monorail and use the hotel transportation which was good.

DawnCt1
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
this is my first post here!! I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on the Shades Of Green Resort at WDW? I am definitely buying attraction tickets here as we have mil id's and could sat here for 594 for 6 nights in Oct but my kids are begging me to stay off site at Nickelodeon Family Suites which does look SUPER cool and fun but would cost about 400 more but thier activities and pool areas and suites look awesome!! I also wanted to let anyone else with gov or military id's to email me for a link to a TON of discounts in the area like cheap car rentals and free visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens!! jennifer@bigbrains.com is my email... any info on the SOG resort would be helpful!!!

:earsgirl: ::MinnieMo :wizard:
OCTOBER 2005 my daughters first trip to MAGIC!!
and they say magic isn't real....they've never been to DISNEY!

You mentioned that you have your MIL'S id. Will she be with you at the time should you decide to stay at SoG. You need to be with someone who is eligible to stay at SoG in order to stay there. They need to be guests at the same time you are. Also, you may have difficulty buying tickets without her, a hotel id or your own id. I love SoG. It's convenient, quiet, no tax, I love the rooms and this is coming from someone who is definately a hotel snob and always opted for the overflow rates first.

jckdisneybound
05-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I think she is saying Military not Mother In Law :)

We are staying there in 3 days I shall post when I return.

DawnCt1
05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I think she is saying Military not Mother In Law :)

We are staying there in 3 days I shall post when I return.

OMG you are right! :blush:

baileybelle
05-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey jckdisneybound...Where in Southern Maine are you from? We'll be staying at SOG in October. Can't wait to here your report. Have a great time!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

lookingforward
05-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I absolutely love the SOG and think that it is the best bargain you can find in Orlando. I know kids love themed hotels like the Nick suites BUT you just can't beat the convienence of the SOG. If it were my family I would stay the first or last night at the Nick hotel so they could experience it but then I would transfer to he SOG for all that being onsite offers! (locale, early and late entry, transportation, NO TAX, etc.)

baileybelle
05-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Momofmnm...check out these links for info and pictures of SOG...http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_sog.htm and http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_sog.htm :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Princess Mommy
05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
We are seriously considering this resort for our Dec trip aswell!
I have heard such great things about this resort & it's newly refurbished rooms and grounds.
Well, we already have the rooms booked~ but I have this theming issue... :rolleyes1 But our wallet (& DH) just might win out!

JiminyC&me
05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
We seem to always stay at the SOG when we go to DW. (But Labor Day I'm putting my foot down and we'll be at the WL) Actually, I love SOG!!! Since the renovations it has a more "resort" feeling about it.
After checking in we usually go to Evergreens Sports Bar and Grille, grab something to eat and drink and then hit the parks. The Garden Gallery has great food. You can choose to order off the menu or do the buffet. Mangino's wasn't open when we were there last but I'm looking forward to trying it Memorial Day weekend. SOG seems quiet in comparison to the other resorts. Have you checked out their website? http://www.shadesofgreen.org They've changed it, so it's much more informative than before.
I would also like to try the Nick Hotel but the convenience of parking my car and not have to drive it until I'm ready to leave (which comes entirely too soon for me) gets me every time.
You will not be disappointed with SOG.

MOMOFMNM
05-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't know, I am so confused now!! I have spent days online and done so many numbers....I also have a quote for PO Riverside for about 1800 including 5 day MYW passes...so I am just pondering things. I know no matter where we stay Nick or SOG or PO these are probably great economical yet moderate accomodations so I am not worried about that, I just want to get everything from the experience. I have never stayed onsite so that is kind of tempting but that Nick Hotel looks sooooo awesome and we will have to rent a car anyway to go to Sea World (another thing my kids MUST DO!!) GEEZE I WISH we could take a month even then we wouldn't see it all!! I am leaning towards SOG or Nick and not the PO package they quoted me simply because I think I will only need 3 or 4 day passes if we are doing Sea World which is free with military id!!! Gotta do the freebie!! Beisides, I can get tax free at SOG tickets and room but I LOOOVE the theme of Nick Hotel...

weregoingtodw
05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
We're leaving Saturday & staying at SoG again. If there is anything specific you'd like to know, pictures of anything, etc., let me know & I'll be happy to take them!

MELSMICE
05-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Shades of Green - no question. Great resort & you get all the Disney amenities, including the Extra Magic Hours. This alone, IMO, is worth staying there.

llij
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
We've stayed at SOG many times and just love it! The grounds are beautiful and the room is very spacious. I also liked being in the Magic Kingdom area and found it to be very convenient. I can't wait to stay there again. :teeth:

MrIncreadable
05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
The same goes for me as Weregoingtowdw said, We are also going to SoG on 5/6. If there is any specific questions let me know. I would be glad to either ask or find out for you.

As far as any other Gov sites for travel there are:
Getravel.com
Sato Travel
or the MWR you facility has. I actually found better prices on my own going with various discounts and codes. Good luck in your hunt.

BTW, Weregoingtowdw, is there any room advice I should know about SOG. We went in 2003 and stayed at CBR. This will be our first trip to SOG. We have two familys, Mine (5 total) and Sil (4 total). I have called about room assignements but they say that you cannot specify a room area? I guess I should call again to verify.

If your not afraid of kids look for us. I have two boys 8, 6 and one girl 3.
Just can't wait. :banana: :banana:

baileybelle
05-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Weregoingtodisney... As stated in a previous post, we'll be at SOG in October. Would like to hear your opinions on the SOG restaurant menus, prices and food quality and the resort as a whole. Have a magical trip!!! Come on October!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

weregoingtodw
05-05-2005, 10:56 AM
BTW, Weregoingtowdw, is there any room advice I should know about SOG. We went in 2003 and stayed at CBR. This will be our first trip to SOG. We have two familys, Mine (5 total) and Sil (4 total). I have called about room assignements but they say that you cannot specify a room area? I guess I should call again to verify.
I think you'll really enjoy it! As for room assignments, we requested them (they're not guaranteed) when we reserved, and I'll call later today to confirm them. That's my last 'to do' - I've already confirmed the airline, car rental & my PSs! :banana:

As for kiddos, not scared at all! We'll have my DD (9), my nephews (6 and 3) and my niece (1).

Room advice - wow... so many variables. Will you be swimming a lot? If so, ask for the older section. Are you renting a car or using Disney transportation? The parking garage is adjacent to the new section. If convenience is important, ask for rooms close to the elevators. If you'd rather quiet, ask for an end room.

I think you'll enjoy yourselves regardless of where your rooms are. It's a gorgeous resort, and you can't beat the price!

MrIncreadable
05-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I think you'll really enjoy it! As for room assignments, we requested them (they're not guaranteed) when we reserved, and I'll call later today to confirm them. That's my last 'to do' - I've already confirmed the airline, car rental & my PSs! :banana:

As for kiddos, not scared at all! We'll have my DD (9), my nephews (6 and 3) and my niece (1).

Room advice - wow... so many variables. Will you be swimming a lot? If so, ask for the older section. Are you renting a car or using Disney transportation? The parking garage is adjacent to the new section. If convenience is important, ask for rooms close to the elevators. If you'd rather quiet, ask for an end room.

I think you'll enjoy yourselves regardless of where your rooms are. It's a gorgeous resort, and you can't beat the price!

Thanks for the Info, I think we will be swimming and yes we did rent a car. It actually came out about 150.00 cheaper than and towncar or bus. Thanks again, Maybe we wil see you there. :wave:

weregoingtodw
05-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Weregoingtodisney... As stated in a previous post, we'll be at SOG in October. Would like to hear your opinions on the SOG restaurant menus, prices and food quality and the resort as a whole. Have a magical trip!!! Come on October!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:
Will update when I get back... my impressions from last year:

Garden Gallery breakfast buffet was great. I didn't have the evening buffet, but my ILs did and said it was okay for the money but not Disney quality (a lot less $$ though!).

Evergreen's is great sports bar type food. Their chicken sandwich was excellent. Try the onion rings - YUM!

Mangino's didn't open until the day after we left last year. I have no plans to try it this year - just not a huge Italian fan, so can't comment on it.

If you haven't seen them already, allearsnet lists the SoG menu descriptions and prices.

Impression of the resort as a whole? When we were there last year, they were still suffering growing pains from the reopening. I'm confident that they've worked out the kinks & we'll have a great experience this year, based on reviews I've read since then. I could easily see people paying $200+/night for these rooms if they could to be able to stay here. The location can't be beat, and overall, we found it very quiet and serene, which is unbelievable considering its close proximity to the MK.

I think you'll love it!

MOMOFMNM
05-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Well I have made my decision!! We are staying at SOG!! The rooms are sooo much bigger and we have a family of 5 so space is needed...I did have a pang of upsetness about a missing "theme" and no calls from Mickey but I am taking my girls and their dad is in Iraq right now for 18 months and I think them going to SOG will give them a chance to meet other military kids and be in an military type setting that their dad would be proud of and works so hard for them to be able to get priviledges like this...and the price from SOG to POR will pay for days of meals!!! Around 400 I am saving (going end Oct not value season) another factor in deciding...I am so looking forward to this!! My mom and dad took me to WDW several times and I can't wait to see my kids faces!! HOOORAY!!! Thanks to everyone who helped. I also went to the library and read 4 books today on WDW

MrIncreadable
05-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Congratulations on your decision. I think that the location being so close to the magic you will not miss the theming so much.

Good Luck and may the Mouse be with you :sunny:

kellypops
05-06-2005, 06:24 AM
We stayed at SoG last June, and on a daily basis we kept commenting on how lucky we were! The rates are FANTASTIC, the rooms are beautiful and enormous, and the resort is stunning. We had a balcony room overlooking the back of the property, and it was lovely to open the patio doors in the morning and listen to the croaking of the frogs and enjoy a cup of coffee on the balcony as the sun rose. We had a room close to the elevator and parking garage, and since we had brought our car and used it quite a bit, we loved the closeness. The staff was attentive and quite helpful. Didn't get to try the restaurants at that time, though. We'd often walk over to the Poly and grab dinner or rent a water sprite. Couldn't have asked for a better vacation! My DH is out of the military now, and so we'll be paying twice as much for a smaller room on Disney property. It'll be lovely, I'm sure, but we truly loved SoG!

jckdisneybound
05-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Hey jckdisneybound...Where in Southern Maine are you from? We'll be staying at SOG in October. Can't wait to here your report. Have a great time!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Bailybelle - We are stationed at PSY living in Kittery. Love it here, reminds me of my hometown.

weregoingtowdw and MrIncrediable - Well we are right behind you, maybe you will see us around the pool or at Evergreens (love the foot of rings). :)

DancinMom
05-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I have a quick question...I heard the coffeemakers are 2 cup. What kind of filters do they take? The regular shape or the cone shape?

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
do they have fridges available?? do they have the refillable drink stations if I purchase a mug somewhere else??? Does any one know??

Thanks

weregoingtodw
05-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a quick question...I heard the coffeemakers are 2 cup. What kind of filters do they take? The regular shape or the cone shape?
Last year, they had the little filter packs, so you wouldn't need a filter unless you're planning to use your own coffee, I'd guess. I'm sure they could answer if you call.

weregoingtodw
05-06-2005, 01:27 PM
do they have fridges available?? do they have the refillable drink stations if I purchase a mug somewhere else??? Does any one know??

Thanks
Dorm sized refrigerators are included in every room at no additional charge. They do not have refillable drink stations.

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 01:31 PM
awesome!! w the fridge you really don't need refillable drink stations, just buy and store your own!! How close is it to walk to the Poly from SOG?? Should I really consider renting a car?? We may do Sea World one day too...

shellynn24
05-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I have gotten some very good ideas from all of you. I have visited SOG once to buy tickets when we stayed off site. The hotel was much smaller then and it was hard to get any ressies last minute! I did get to stay at Contemporaray when SOG was under construction. Great price for a Disney Deluxe hotel! :goodvibes After reading the opinions here I have decided to calll SOG and ask about reservations. I do have the MYW dinnig package reserved but I think I can save money by staying at SOG. My kids are too young to really know the difference. If it is true that at least one of the monorail hotels are within walking distance then I am so there! Thanks to you all!!!! :cheer2: Pray for all of the Soldiers!!(or Sailors, Marines, and Airmen).
We are personally Soldiers. The Husband will be at WDW with us for his R&R from Iraq!!! :love:

I just went to the SOG website and found out that they offer special packages for R&R servise members! That made up my mind, we are going to SOG! :cool1:

Alice28
05-06-2005, 01:54 PM
This thread really has me excited about staying at Shades- my friend just got our ressies last week---DH has told me he wants me to have a fun trip after he's home from Iraq next year, so of course I wanna go to WDW!

Hi Patti, if you're lurking!!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

GJM
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
We normally have a car, but when we went in Oct. we rented a car, however my DH needed it for a conference over by Universal. My DS (5) and myself would use the bus, we had no problems with the bus, we also would walk over to the Poly. to catch the monorail. The walk was maybe 10-15 minutes. SOG has a golf cart (forgot the name) that goes up & down the walkway at times and we would catch this sometimes.

My DS & myself may go for a trip in Sept. and I want to do SeaWorld, I think I read on the SOG website that they have transporation to SeaWorld for $10 RT.

LADYnTRAMP
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Which section should we try and request if we want to be near the walkway to the Poly (to use the monorail)? Thanks! ;)

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
gjm free admission to sea world with military id's btw!!! I have a link for a cut out coupon for military...also a 12% off car rental at Eagle for Military people!!

Princess Mommy
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
We have ressies here for December 3-10~
but we have some reservations about it so any suggestions would be GREATLY apperciated~
We are traveling with our girls who will be 5 & 3 plus my Mom who will be 64.
We are thinking about renting a car because with our group size it might be easier b/c I have heard inconsistancies in their busses.
Any suggestions?
I would hate to save the $$ on the resort only to have to spend it on the rental car...

We are considering the WL, and with a code or AAA discount it might be about the same if we have to rent a car at SoG, kwim?

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Does the Magic Express from the airport apply to SOG or is that seperate as well??

*Flower*
05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately, the Magical Express is not available to SoG, Swan or Dolphin hotels.

Don't let that get you down though.... there are plenty of other ways to get where you want to go.

Have a great trip!!

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 08:45 PM
flower how do you get to the resort? We have 5 people so a regular taxi or towncar will not accomodate us but I can rent an econ car for about 100 w military discount...

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 08:47 PM
btw flower I have lost 22 pounds in 15 weeks on WEIGHT WATCHERS, I am assuming your signature has something to do w weight loss and fitness??

MOMOFMNM
05-06-2005, 11:58 PM
if we buy our myw tickets at SOG do we have the option of adding dining pkg? With 5, I think this might save me some $$$ I am guessing no

DawnCt1
05-07-2005, 06:08 AM
if we buy our myw tickets at SOG do we have the option of adding dining pkg? With 5, I think this might save me some $$$ I am guessing no
The only dining package that is available for SoG guests is the gold leaf plan. You would have to eat all of your meals at SoG, which is not a decision I would make. One of you could buy an AP and get the Disney Dining Experience discount card and that will give you 20% off of your total bill for sit down restaurants owned by Disney only. That of course excludes Planet Hollywood, Rainforest, Portobello's, Fultons and anything at the Swan and Dolphin.

Princess Mommy
05-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Is there a SoG discount AP rate?

pixiepower1971
05-07-2005, 11:16 AM
yes, you can get a SoG discount rate for annual and also fl resident annual. I believe they show the price on their website under attractions. It basically saves you the tax $$.

Princess Mommy
05-07-2005, 01:13 PM
I still cannot get over the room size here~
480 square feet!
We were debating on staying in WL instead, but their standard rooms are 340 square feet, and more expensive.
Don't get me wrong, LOVE the WL, but both of our D's are asking to stay at AKL Savannah view for part of our trip and we don't want AKL all week b/c it is far away from MK and we are inticipating 3 days there with them including MVMCP, so we were seriously considering WL especially at Christmas it will be gorgeous~ but since we qualify for SoG... :rolleyes1 The rooms are huge and newly refurbished and makes affording the Savannah view room easier... :rolleyes1 .... we'll probably rent a car b/c I have read that the bus service can be inconsistant and I don't want to chance that.

pixiepower1971
05-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I thought they were 455 sq feet but I may be wrong.
Either way they are very nice size rooms. You can't beat the cost per night. Don't forget to factor in the cost of parking as well...something like 3 per day to self park and 8 per day for valet plus tips.

When staying at SoG I only used my car for AK and MGM. Bus service from SoG to the TTC is wonderful. Runs every 15 mins. Busses only run once an hour form the other parks. Can be a long wait if you miss a bus and they are not sheltered wait areas.

I have stayed there to save money many times. They are lacking in some areas but the price makes up for it. With an AP or FL resident rates I can usually stay at a value or moderate for less and it can get really close sometimes with WL and AKL...so check your rates and specials. ALso, with SOG you have to cancel 30 days out to get a deposit refund, unlike Disney which is 5 days.

But for room size, price and conveinance you cant beat SoG...just don't expect deluxe service!

DawnCt1
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
yes, you can get a SoG discount rate for annual and also fl resident annual. I believe they show the price on their website under attractions. It basically saves you the tax $$.

I priced it out yesterday. For the Basic AP without the add on's its a $35 savings. For the premium pass, it's $45.

Kimberly
05-07-2005, 02:31 PM
I just checked out the nickelodeon suites, and they do look really cool. Although i'm a bit biased because i'm still a huge fan of sponge bob! If you can manage a rental car, and if you've stayed at disney before, why not try something new? Or you could split your stay at nick's suites and the shades of green, either way i don't think you could make a bad decision here.

Princess Mommy
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
thought they were 455 sq feet but I may be wrong
Allearsnet.com said 480 square feet...

We just got a letter that says effective April 1, 2005:
Self parking is $3 a day
valet is $3 parking fee + $5 usage fee ~ allows unlimited valent for 1 calendar day. Plus tip too... so assume $10 a day for 5 days...

Do the Disney Resorts charge guests a parking fee?

*Flower*
05-07-2005, 05:12 PM
We used the garage (multi-level) on our trip last weekend, and the $3 self park fee is per night.

We stayed 2 nights and paid $6 for parking.

It was really convenient, and considering that you don't pay the FL room tax or bed tax- that's not too bad.

The Swan and Dolphin charge $7 per night for self parking, and $14 per night for valet parking.

Disney doesn't charge for self parking- yet.

HTH!!!

DawnCt1
05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I registered and printed out the voucher for up to four free admissions at Sea World. What could be better than free. We weren't sure we were going but now we are. DH will leave Florida on Friday but as long as he sees that I get my updated military id, I will be good to go.

pixiepower1971
05-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Unofficial Guide lists SoG room at 455 sq feet so my best guess would be somewhere in between the two. Either way they are very nice sized rooms. We have never had any problem with space but I have never had more then 4 people in the room.

I prefer the rooms on the old side...they feel a little bigger to me and they have 4 chairs at the table instead of 2 like the new side. The daybed in nicer on the old side though. They also have 2 small room divider walls in the old section the are nice to sit small things on up high out of the way.

There are some rooms on the old side 3rd floor that you can see a good bit of Wishes from. Very pretty!

MOMOFMNM
05-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Looking off site now because SOG is full end Oct when I want to go...just checked 4 days ago and NOW that I had made my final decision on SOG and was ready to pay and book...it is full!!! WHAAAA!!! I can't really change dates, the kids have Oct 31 off of school and that played into how many days we are vacationing and such and PLUS I have a budget and a going a month early would mean 600 dollars less for our trip, can't do that!!! Now looking into Buena Vista Suites, brkfst, big suite (3 kids) a moderate at POR will just not do for our family...three girls and myself and a hubby. Need space on a budget. Looks like off site will be the place for me and my dates and price range. Any off site hotel reccomendations?

pixiepower1971
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
what about 2 values? that would give you 4 beds and 2 bathrooms and more space then at SoG. You and hubby also could have your own room. That is always nice!

GJM
05-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Momofmnm were you checking on line or did you call. Even if their on line reservation's say they don't have rooms they sometimes do. This happened to me in Oct. there were no rooms listed on line but I called and they had the dates available. Plus, keep calling, I called everyday for dates in June and something finally opened up.

Princess Mommy
05-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Pixie~ would you suggest I request the old section, 3rd floor? Do they have balconies? Thanks so much for your help! I have never been, and we are trying to be able to do so much and the savings SoG can give are so worth it, and your reviews have been great!

I would also go with 2 rooms in a value aswell~ or look into renting DVC points~ most go for $10-$12 a point. Their is a rent/trade board here on The DIS. I did it for our OKW stays and it was wonderful. The Swan & Dolphin also give major discounts for nurses & teachers and *I think* the military. You'd have to check their actual website for the details though:
www.swandolphin.com
I would call SoG aswell, you'll be on hold a while~ I usually started trying first thing in the am & still was on hold for 20-30 minutes. If you can't get SoG they can give you overflow rates somewhere else.

pixiepower1971
05-08-2005, 08:17 AM
PrincessMommy~ I usually request a room in the old section, 3rd floor, quiet pool (Magnolia pool I think). All rooms there have balconies or patios. I know you can see the fireworks from some of those rooms...not sure how many. I like the old section even though the rooms are not as nice and pretty as the news one but they are A LOT closer to the pools and AAFES. The new section is close to the parking garage but I always valet park...so nice!

Glad I can help. I have been to Disney many times. We have done it on a shoestring budget to a blow out bash. No matter what way you go they are all fun trips. SoG is a huge help in making it afforable.

MOMOFMNM
05-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I just returned from an overnight in a hotel w the kids for a birthday...I have never stayed in anything less than a 1 br suite with them and needless to say it was excrutiating...they were up at night, wouldn't sleep, hubby is deaf and like to stay up late...it was a bad combo for my family and 2 values is too much $$$ for me at this point. I think I am going to have to opt out for a BV Suite with a bedroom and 2 tv's instead of SOG or Value...plus w free cont bkfst it will just work out better...IMO

Lizzybee
05-08-2005, 09:42 AM
People talk about getting an "overflow" rate from SoG, I've never tried to book with them so I don't know but I have read people talking about getting better prices on Disney resorts when SoG if full.

MOMOFMNM
05-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I did fill out an overflow request so we will see what I can come up with...I am definite about these dates though and it is not value season so I have to wonder PLUS with 5 of us I don't know if POR with a trundle is going to be big enough for all of us, we really need our space! :) thanks for your help

goofeyfan33
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
We just returned from a week at WDW and stayed at SOG. We loved it so much that we will likely never stay anywhere else other than SOG. The rooms were huge, the extras you qualify for because of being on Disney property are well worth it. It's and easy 10 to 15 minute walk to the Polynesian to catch the monorail or the SOG busses run every 15 minutes from the hotel. I also enjoy my breakfast, so the all you can eat breakfast buffet for $7 per person was great. :teeth: And it's not just a jelly roll and coffee either; real food (bacon sausage eggs cereal rolls fruit waffles juice coffee) and great service.

Rooms were always clean and it was very quiet at night. For the price and convenience, I would definitely stay at SOG.

LADYnTRAMP
05-15-2005, 09:36 AM
We just returned from a week at WDW and stayed at SOG. We loved it so much that we will likely never stay anywhere else other than SOG. The rooms were huge, the extras you qualify for because of being on Disney property are well worth it. It's and easy 10 to 15 minute walk to the Polynesian to catch the monorail or the SOG busses run every 15 minutes from the hotel. I also enjoy my breakfast, so the all you can eat breakfast buffet for $7 per person was great. :teeth: And it's not just a jelly roll and coffee either; real food (bacon sausage eggs cereal rolls fruit waffles juice coffee) and great service.

Rooms were always clean and it was very quiet at night. For the price and convenience, I would definitely stay at SOG.

Was wondering what section you would recommend to try and request to be closest to the walkway to the Poly. TIA! :)

JiminyC&me
05-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Was wondering what section you would recommend to try and request to be closest to the walkway to the Poly. TIA! :)

The SOG is shaped basically like a "U" with the rooms in the 2 tails and the lobby, registration and bus/car pick-up and drop off in the bowl part. The walkway to Poly is on the right as you drive up the driveway to registration. If any side is "closer" I think it would be the rooms on the right side or old side. If distance is a probablem you may want to request rooms (on either side) that are closer to the lobby, which is still a little bit of a walk (at least the first time but the more you do it, the closer it seems).
We've only stayed in the older side so I don't really know about the newer side (hope to be staying there Memorial Day Weekend :rolleyes: ).
Any way, I hope this helps and I haven't confused you :flower: .

P S We always use the walkway, and my mom and dad are in their 70s.

LADYnTRAMP
05-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks JiminyC&me! That did make sense. In Dec. my best friend and I are leaving are teens and hubbies at home and taking a Girl's trip with 2 nights at SOG (my husband is retired USAF) and then off for a 4 night on the Wonder. It will be her first Disney cruise and I'm very excited for her. I guess I'll just ask if there are any rooms available in the front of the resort.

MrIncreadable
05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Looking off site now because SOG is full end Oct when I want to go...just checked 4 days ago and NOW that I had made my final decision on SOG and was ready to pay and book...it is full!!! WHAAAA!!! I can't really change dates, the kids have Oct 31 off of school and that played into how many days we are vacationing and such and PLUS I have a budget and a going a month early would mean 600 dollars less for our trip, can't do that!!! Now looking into Buena Vista Suites, brkfst, big suite (3 kids) a moderate at POR will just not do for our family...three girls and myself and a hubby. Need space on a budget. Looks like off site will be the place for me and my dates and price range. Any off site hotel reccomendations?

I just returned from SOG and I was wondering if you called or tried the website? I would consider calling and asking about overflow rates through SOG. They are usually a great savings but you will have the FL Tax. Two years ago we stayed at CBR May 6 - 15th and paid 99.25 per day total.

Good luck

suevee
05-17-2005, 08:55 AM
MOMOFMNM

Ask to be wait listed at SoG. A lot of people cancel their reservations 30 days out so they can get their deposits back. You might just get lucky!!!