PDA

View Full Version : ****LIVE from the Poly**** (5/05)

TigrLvsPooh
05-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Hello Everyone! :) Sorry it's taken so long to post, we arrived on Friday and have been having a great trip. :sunny: Tonight I finally have time to post (Tuesday night) because it's pouring the rain and we came back early. :teeth:

So, if anyone has any Poly questions... or other WDW questions post here and I'll try to answer as fast as I can!!! :wizard: We are in Samoa... great garden view room with view of pool, wedding pavilion, GF, EWP, lagoon, and partial Wishes view. I'll tell our room # later after we checkout.

Some basics....

No walls or visible construction at the Poly
Exteriors of new lobby stuff done, working inside now
Evening EMHs are fun, but more crowded than e-nights
Light Motors Action is boring
Haven't hit Soarin' yet
The dining plan is making us all sick from eating too much
Haven't seen Cinderellabration yet
The boys loved Stitch's Great Escape
Met StitchInside... only lime green ribbon I've seen!!!!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.... I'll write more later. :)

:wave:

MNmom
05-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the post.

We are going to the POLY in August. No questions...just have a great time and don't forget to smell the roses :flower3:

Would love to hear a report when you get home...hint, hint!!

*Fantasia*
05-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't have any questions...yet... but I just wanted to say "Hi!" and I hope you have a "magical" time!! I can't wait to read your trip report when you come back.

hoochie
05-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Please tell me the rain will stop....we're leaving in the morning!

Are you happy with the Poly? What are the crowds like in the parks?

Did you do any shows? I'm booked at Ohana's tomorrow night and mickey's backyard bbq on Wednesday....I'm starting to wonder if I've over scheduled myself....PS's most days....

Maybe we'll run into you...I have two young boys too....they're hoping to see power rangers at mgm...have you hit that park yet?

Looking forward to poly tomorrow!

Kala
05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi!

Glad you're having such a great time!

Just wondering what the new construction areas in GCH look like? How is the configuration different from what you can see? What stores are reloacated so far? Is Captain Cook's still open and can you still get there from inside the lobby? Haven't been there since the construction began, but from what I've heard I'm curious as to what how different things will be...

Thanks,
Kelli

hookedondizney
05-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi! Thanks for asking....Can you find out what the construction schedule may be for the Tahiti bldg.? I have heard conflicting time frames. We will be arrive July 26-31 and supposedly this longhouse will be down for renovations. YUK this is the only longhouse/view I like! I am so dissapointed! Please, if you can find out anything I would be so greatful!
Thanks, Hookedondizney :flower:

WDWBetsy
05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Glad you're having a good time! Looking forward to your review when your return! ::MinnieMo

PolyHereWeCome
05-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Aloha and very cool that you posted while there! Hope you had a truly magical trip! :wizard:

SeaSpray
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Aloha!! :wave2:

I'm glad you're having a great time! :sunny: I don't have any real questions, but if you happen to be in the gift shops at the Polynesian, can you try and notice if they have any: Mickey & Minnie beanies dressed in Hawaiian outfits? Also, do they have "Polynesian Resort" ceramic coffee mugs? Do they have Polynesian Resort license plate frames?? What do the Polynesian Resort t-shirts look like these days?? Did they put an arcade in the lobby? Or is it still over near the Neverland Club?? Thanks!!! :teeth:

DanaHesson
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
And have a great time!

dreamingdisney
05-04-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm so glad you've finally made it to WDW and you're having a great time! :flower: How do you like your room? How's the mousekeeping? We arrive on the 8th @ 6:30 am, I'll be sure to wear my lime green ribbons!

lyeag
05-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Have a wonderful trip! Whenever we get to go again I am going to push dh to stay at the Poly! It just looked so relaxing...

Mermaid02
05-04-2005, 06:51 AM
:wave: Hi Erika! I'm so envious of you! Have a great time and looking forward to your thoughts on the dining plan when you get back!!

gopack
05-04-2005, 06:54 AM
How are the crowds?

susy
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear you are having fun! We will be there in three weeks!!!

pirateofthecarolinas
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Does the castle look as beautiful as it does in pictues? I can't wait to see it. I hope you have a great vacation.

Lori

WeLoveThePoly
05-04-2005, 08:07 AM
No questions here - just wanted to say have a wonderful time!

Oh I am so green with envy! I love the Poly and have to wait a year and half to get back there! ::yes::

I'll keep things in line back here in Indiana while you're gone! :wave:

Debbie

arizonacolbys
05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Also curious about the crowds - we'll be there in 8 days!! :teeth: Have a great trip - we loved staying at the Polynesian - it's a great resort! :)

Tikiman
05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
You are supposed to be having fun. If you checked out everything I want checked out you would spend two days walking around the Polynesian. Just enjoy!!!!

Aloha

Steve

Tikiman
05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I did not realize Florida was so far away it was a day ahead of California (5/05)?? :cool1:

Dave Dizney
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Erika! Enjoy the trip without the camera and crew in the way! Tell me if you get any "celeberty moments" and if any moms with kids cue up by you to get character photos! :earsgirl:

I've been watching the weather and been really sad about the amount of rain you guys are getting -- but a rainy day in Disney is better than a sunny day at work.

What you said about the meal plan we learned a few years ago -- way too much! We ended up with a mini-fridge full of leftovers that could never go back on the plane with us. We also found we spent less (we do the breakfast stop at a grocery and eat breakfast in our room) on our own than on their plan. I'll be interested in your critique when you return.

Anyway, enjoy the Poly and grab some Tonga Toast for me!

mybgirl
05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
hi :wave2:
I HAVE 4 DOWN IN THIS ORDER,

tokelau room 1913 or 3912
samoa 1607 or 3616
fili room?
rarotonga room?

I called the poly today ,talk to Jessicia , very nice , she said the more you ask's for the better your chance is to get one of them, you never know . :goodvibes

At the rarotonga what do you think is the better room.

Have you every stayed at this lighthouse?

Please when you get home ,and have a little time let me know. :love: :sunny:

have a great time :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

god bless

mary and ds ;) PS TELL MICKEY HI FROM SETH :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bride In The Attic
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Erika - so glad to hear you are having a great time! Soak in some of that Poly atmosphere for me!!

Have you seen a lot of press/VIP's around for the 50th? I figured they'd start pouring in today...

Can't wait to read a trip report when you get back. Continue to have a *magical* time!

:earsboy:

cdpa4d
05-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Sorry we missed you Erika. We were at the Poly from Thursday until Tuesday. Got back yesterday. We had a great time. We loved the Poly. Did you notice the new shop/store in the GCH; BouTiki. I spoke with some Cast Members at the Poly and the GCH and the GCH will be going through some changes. Most of the shops will be consolidated into BouTiki. The Arcade will go into the GCH next to Captin Cooks. Captain Cooks will be expanded. Of course this is still all speculation, but it came from a CM who was working at Guest Services.

The Tonga Toast was great and Ohana was our best meal of the trip throughout WDW. It was Fantastic!

I hope you're having a great time!

ADP :goodvibes

luvmarypoppins
05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi, and glad you are having a great time. Were you wearing green because I did look for dis'er in the lobby. I actually counted 35 familes checking in between 1 and 4 on sunday. The Poly sure is hopping busy. We were in Samoa too, room 3611, a bad view but the bldg. we wanted. This was an end room so sometimes we just took the stairs down. Glad you are having a great time. Aloha cousin! :flower:

valeriekc
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Can you tell us how the construction is at the monorail stations??
Have you experienced any bad waits for the monorails on the way to or the way back from MK?
Thanks in advance!

luvmarypoppins
05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Also wondering if you have spotted a mom with a little ds in a stroller decorated with lots of lime green ribbons. I wanted to ask her if she was a diser but she scooted on the elevator before I got a chance.

Miniefan
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I hope you are enjoying your trip. We will be staying there for the first time in Oct. I was wondering, is there a fridge in the room or do you have to request it?? I am dying to know which room is yours so I can think about requesting it. Enjoy yourself
Kim

Tess
05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Also, do they have "Polynesian Resort" ceramic coffee mugs? Do they have Polynesian Resort license plate frames??

I can tell you that last year there were coffee mugs with Polynesian logo and picture--ceramic. . .not the horrid plastic stuff. They are quite large and heavy too!

Also, there were NO license plates with the Polynesian logo. I tried to buy one for my husband to match my own. Staff indicated they hadn't been around for a while (I had bought myself one the previous year) and didn't think they would be getting them again. I had to settle for one of the license plate frames "Been there going back" type. My husband was disappointed and so was I. Now, I am going to need a new one because mine is beginning to chip! :guilty:

Here's hoping that Erika will find they've reordered the license plates! I was hoping the resort was simply revamping the design or something and there might be some when we visit next month!

BTW, Erika--have a ball (and it sounds as if you are). . .you sure opened a can of worms when you offered to answer questions! :rotfl2: Hope you have a bit of a vacation left after you finish your investigating! :p

PolyAddict
05-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I will be at POR in 3 weeks!!!! :rolleyes1

But I miss my Poly!!!! :rotfl2:

Soak it up!!! :sunny:

Michele

Danvers
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
:wave2:

TwingleMum
05-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Erika how old are your sons?? Stitch wasn't too scary for them?? What stunk about the new stunt show ~Lights, Motor , Action?? PS. Remember previews of GOF on Saturday night . Did you set your VCR?? Have a magical trip :wizard:

Snoopygirl
05-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Glad to hear your trip is going great. Can't wait for your trip report!!!!

Have a Blast! :cool1:

rmontgo892
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
:wave: ALOHA!!! :wave:

Ladyhawke10
05-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Hope you're having a great time, Erica! :sunny:

scanne
05-05-2005, 08:01 AM
We're off to the Polynesian in 2 1/2 months! Can you tell me what the refillable mugs look like and do they only have the one style or is there now a travel type mug that would fit in a cup holder? Thanks!

SeaSpray
05-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I can tell you that last year there were coffee mugs with Polynesian logo and picture--ceramic. . .not the horrid plastic stuff. They are quite large and heavy too!

Also, there were NO license plates with the Polynesian logo. I tried to buy one for my husband to match my own. Staff indicated they hadn't been around for a while (I had bought myself one the previous year) and didn't think they would be getting them again. I had to settle for one of the license plate frames "Been there going back" type. My husband was disappointed and so was I. Now, I am going to need a new one because mine is beginning to chip! :guilty:

Here's hoping that Erika will find they've reordered the license plates! I was hoping the resort was simply revamping the design or something and there might be some when we visit next month!

BTW, Erika--have a ball (and it sounds as if you are). . .you sure opened a can of worms when you offered to answer questions! :rotfl2: Hope you have a bit of a vacation left after you finish your investigating! :p

Tess :wave2:

Thanks for that info! I need a new license plate frame because my old "Been there, Done that" frame cracked a couple of months ago, and I was hoping to get one from the Polynesian. I'll definitely be checking for them when I get there.

At least I know I can get a good coffee mug! :teeth:

TigrLvsPooh
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I am sooooo sorry i haven't been back .... i will try to post tomorrow morning to answer all your questions.... we were at mk all day for the big 50th celebration... so much to report it's insane!!!!!!! We had the best time last night at the mgm press event and are headed out to the other press event right now at epcot! :) I promise I'll be back to read all these questions tomorrow!!!!!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

cdpa4d
05-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Scanne,

We just returned from the Poly on 5/3! The mugs are one size from what I could tell. They have Mickey and Minnie on them in hula skirts. There are also palm trees on the mugs with the words Disney's Polynesian Resort on the Mug.

Unless you have a large cup holder it would be difficult for the mugs to fit. They have a wide base.

ADP

TigrLvsPooh
05-06-2005, 12:25 AM
hoochie - The crowds aren't too bad. Maybe a little more than a typical May, but not nearly as bad as spring break time. The Poly is great, location is the key with that resort... if you're the type of family that likes MK then you'll love it. Samoa is a great location. We are close to the pool and GCH. The only negative is with all the rain we get soaked trying to get back to our room from the monorail and/or bus. The Power Rangers were great... definitely a must see for boys. :) We saw them right in front of Light Motors Action.

kala - I took a bunch of pictures of the new lobby. It's very nice. I'll post pictures when I get home. To get to Captain Cook's you just walk through the lobby, go to your left, then down the hall. It's in the same location.

hookedondizney - The best person to talk to about the rehab schedule would be Tikiman. He has connections with the staff. I can tell you that nothing is being done as of today.

Seaspray - Mostly I've noticed tons of Lilo and Stitch merchandise as well as lots more Princesses. They have expanded the second floor shop and then on the main level they have the gift shop and then the clothing store as well. Oh, and the Wyland Gallery. The other new store front is finished but not open yet. The arcade is still down in the Neverland Club building. :)

dreamingdisney - Mousekeeping hasn't been as good as we normally have. The first day we did not have our room cleaned at all!!! Needless to say we were really upset. But then when we talked to our mousekeeper the next day we saw her "earning my ears" nametag and felt bad for reporting her. But hey, even when you're new you can't miss a room. ;) After that problem things have been fine. No towel animals, but the room has been cleaned everyday. Turn down also.

Just wanted to add here that the free fridge was NOT, I repeat NOT in the room. We had to call down and request one.

pirateofthecarolinas - The castle is growing on me. At first I was like... "uhhhh", now I like it. It's just very different.

Steve - Tikiman... If there is anything you need please just let me know. I'm sure I'll have some free time over the next two days, especially if it keeps raining. ;) Actually, we're at our room at AKL right now... the boys are back at the Poly with a babysitter. We are here enjoying the media event and go back to Poly tomorrow morning. It's been fun having two homes the last couple of days. :)

Dave!!! :) Yes I have had some celebrity moments!! A few times we've been stopped to take pictures with people and answer questions. I love it! :) I got to meet lots of Travel Channel execs yesterday and today... the president is a great guy... I helped him and his wife with some insiders tips for the parks. ;) Howard is here too and is ready for a sequel!!! ;) Wouldn't that be cool??? ;) As of tonight we have like 15 sitdowns, 17 counter service, and 20 snacks left and only two days to use them!!!!! I'll never do the dining plan again. We have eaten so much we are ill.

mybgirl - Good luck getting the room you want. It never hurts to ask. :)

brideintheattic - I will post a full trip report with pics of all the celebrities we've met. :) I felt like a silly little movie star stalker over the last couple of days. ;) Lots of info and pics coming!!!

cdpa4d - Yes, the boutiki looks cool! :) Took a bunch of pictures.

luvmarypoppins - Oh my gosh when did you check out???? I bet we saw each other and didn't even know it!!! We were the room directly across from you!!!!! :) You might have saw us with a giant double stroller and two crazy little boys. :) I didn't see the stroller decorated with lime green... my ribbon was on my backpack. :)

valeriekc - We haven't taken the monorail much. We prefer the boat to MK. The times we have taken the monorail we haven't had any trouble. Never took the express.

Twinglemum - Our boys are 3 and 5. The first time they had their eyes covered, but then they loved it and have begged to do it over and over. :) Light Motors Action is just sort of ho-hum. Car going fast, lots of talking... too much talking. Soarin' was AWESOME though. We've done it twice so far and it's great. Also another huge highlight was the Crush show at Epcot. Totally cool dude! :)

scanne - mugs are still the same. Large style, same ones we got over two years ago.

I'll try to give more updates tomorrow!!!

scoutsmom99
05-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Erika,
It sounds like you are having a fabulous trip :) I look forward to reading your trip report when you get back!

mickeyluv
05-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Erika,

We are going May 20th. How are the temperatures right now. Is it cool at night? Do we need a light jacket or sweatshirts? Never been in May before, but here In NC it is a rather cool night, I think like 55 degrees or something. Was wondering how to pack.

This might be a stupid question, but I just don't know. I saw you on the Travel Channel about a month or so ago on a WDW special. Do you work for the Travel Channel? Didn't know if you were just picked out of the guests to do this special for them.

Hope you are all having a great trip!! :flower:

SeaSpray
05-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the info, Erika! :wave2: I'm glad you and your family are having such a great time!! :sunny:

Tikiman
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Aloha Erika,

First tip is that if you want to stay dry coming from the GCH to Samoa go right to Rarotonga out the side exit and over to Samoa through Niue and you will hardly get wet.

Can you take a look one day over at Aotearoa and Tahiti to see if anything is going on anywhere in the building? The schedule keeps changing and they are trying to get me the right dates but there is conflicting information about what is going to be worked on next. I would love to see any photos you get of the lobby. There are a few people from the Unofficial Guide there this week that are checking on some things and taking photos of the Polynesian for me but I would be happy with anything you find out also but don’t use up too much of your vacation hunting for things. Could you get a photo of the “new lobby concierge” desk area for me?

Aloha

Steve

Tess
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Aloha Erika,

First tip is that if you want to stay dry coming from the GCH to Samoa go right to Rarotonga out the side exit and over to Samoa through Niue and you will hardly get wet.

Aloha

Steve

I was going to suggest the very same thing! Learning how to work your way around the Polynesian Resort property to dodge raindrops is a must! :D

Starman
05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
You are supposed to be having fun. If you checked out everything I want checked out you would spend two days walking around the Polynesian. Just enjoy!!!!

Aloha

Steve
First of all I want to say how great the Tikiman website is. You've done a great job.

We're planning our Disney vac for 11/18-11/27. Been researching this for a while now and am still a bit overwhelmed. Have settled on spending 5 nights at CBR preferred room and 4 nights at the Poly (garden view). Since this will probably be my family's(wife, & two daughters ages 11 & 13) one & ONLY trip to Disney I'm a bit nervous about "screwing-up" our room reservations & ending up with a less than desirable view/location. I want to finalize our Hotel reservations ASAP. Even though our travel date is six months out, have we lost our "window" of opportunity for securing some of the better standard rooms?

Also who should I book our reservations through? Got a quote from WDW that was $.64 cheaper than an identical quote from MouseSavers.com. Go figure!

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Frank

Starman
05-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Ignore the duplication.

TigrLvsPooh
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
mickeylove - The night time temps haven't been cold... except for last night we did break out our sweatshirts for the first time. We have also gotten use out of our ponchos and rainjackets. I don't think you need any cold weather clothing, just a sweatshirt should be fine. :)

About the Travel Channel... no we do not work for them, we are just regular people who were selection through a casting call. We had to write an essay, make a video, and go through a couple of phone interviews. :)

Steve - For some reason when it rains we are never coming from the GCH... we are always running in from the boat or bus. So that's why we are getting wet! ;) Actually we haven't taken the resort monorail at all... except for one dinner at the CR. We prefer the boat to MK, I think it's faster. Also we've been using our rental car some too. :)

We just walked past Tahiti about an hour ago and I didn't see any construction at all. At least not from the outside. I will try to take a spin over there later tonight and check out the inside. Also, when I get home I will send you all my lobby pics. I haven't seen any new lobby concierge desk... do you know where it is supposed to be?? Is it the desk where the bell services is, near the kids area??? I have pics of the Boutiki and new Tiki statue. The new bathrooms there where the kids shop use to be are nice. The new Wyland Gallery area at the far end of the hall near Tonga suites seems to be done.

Any other Poly questions anyone?? We leave tomorrow. :sad: :sad: :sad: