PDA

View Full Version : Help! How do you make dingy whites bright again

msim
05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
without damaging the colored emblems that are sewn on to the shirts? I have old rusty pipes and my whites look cream now. Does anyone have any guaranteed but safe ideas? Thanks in advance!!! :confused3

robyn323
05-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I love BIZ color safe bleach. It works wonders on my DH socks and t shirts that he gets filthy! It also brought back the white on one of my old white shirts that hung in the closet forever turned yellow. Good luck.

Pea-n-Me
05-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I soak the clothes in hot water and oxyclean for a while before running the machine. I have good luck with it.

ajksmom
05-04-2005, 06:20 AM
2nd vote for oxi-clean here. Doesn't fade out the stuff on my DS's t-shirts at all.

FantasticDisFamily
05-04-2005, 07:19 AM
The Oxy-Clean stuff is good. Another option is the Color safe bleach - I swear by Clorox 2. Just ran a load of men's dress shirts and women's blouses that were crusty with stage makeup with that on a cold wash and they came out without a smudge left and nice and white.

Deb

pattyT
05-04-2005, 07:20 AM
My mother in law SWEARS by using cascade in the laundry to make whites white again (she used it for years when her kids played softball/baseball so I believe her)
I just keep forgetting to buy some!

msim
05-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the great answers. Just one more question- how much oxy-clean, Biz, Cascade, etc., do I use to how many parts water? Thanks again! :cool1:

Pea-n-Me
05-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I usually use more OxyClean than it calls for on the instructions (2-3 capfuls per load). The soaking in hot water part is important and I even run the machine for a minute a couple of times while they're soaking to really get it into the clothes.

I also like OxyClean for organic stains. I can almost always get them out if I keep working it. I get so frustrated with stains on the kids clothes especially. :)