PDA

View Full Version : AKL - Deluxe vs. std...worth the price?

doubletroublemom
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
We've decided to give the AKL a try. Is the only difference between a standard and deluxe room the size of the room? Is it worth the price difference? All opinions welcome!!! :flower:

golfgal
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Heck no, but we are paying it anyway. The rooms aren't that much bigger, but they cost almost double. Unless there are 5 of you, keep the regular! There are 5 of us, so we don't have the option. With our email code discount our deluxe savannah view is $300/night, a standard savannah view with the same discount is $166/night. The room isn't double in size for double the price.

jimmiej
05-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Not sure about the size. However, I do have an opinion. DW & I just stayed at AKL in Feb. '05. Loved it! Our new fave! We had a pool view which was superb. I asked for a standard, but only poolview & concierge were available, so I took pool view. It is my opinion that you don't need a savannah view to enjoy AKL. The savanah overlooks are easily accessible in other places, plus you can see parts of the savannah from the hallways. Unless I could get a real good deal & had at least a week to stay (time to actually sit & enjoy the view), I would not spring for a savannah view. Just MO.

daannzzz
05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
We had a deluxe room. It was a bit bigger (longer by 3 feet) and the fabrics on the bedspreads and drapes were different from the regular rooms. We had an awesome view from the 5th floor. The deluxe rooms are all on the top floors. The reason I booked it was we needed four beds and I hoped (and received) to get one queen a bunk bed and a day bed. If I were returning with just one or two other people I would choose a regular savanna view room to save some money.

golfgal
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Not sure about the size. However, I do have an opinion. DW & I just stayed at AKL in Feb. '05. Loved it! Our new fave! We had a pool view which was superb. I asked for a standard, but only poolview & concierge were available, so I took pool view. It is my opinion that you don't need a savannah view to enjoy AKL. The savanah overlooks are easily accessible in other places, plus you can see parts of the savannah from the hallways. Unless I could get a real good deal & had at least a week to stay (time to actually sit & enjoy the view), I would not spring for a savannah view. Just MO.

I think what the op is asking is that there are two levels of rooms, standard savannah view and deluxe savannah view. THe standard rooms accomodate up to 4 people and the deluxe accomodate 5, but are slightly bigger, 37 sq feet bigger only. Is it worth it to upgrade to the deluxe?

LisaS
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
We've decided to give the AKL a try. Is the only difference between a standard and deluxe room the size of the room? Is it worth the price difference? All opinions welcome!!! :flower:
As others have stated, the deluxe rooms are on the 5th and 6th floors, with the 6th floor being concierge rooms. In addition to the extra 3-4 feet in the length of the room, you also get a slightly different view. Talking savannah view rooms specificially, you get a more expansive view of the savannah from the higher floors, but you are closer to the animals if you are on the lower floors. I've stayed in both a deluxe savannah view room and a regular savannah view room and I like the lower floors better. I prefer being closer to the animals. The only other difference I can remember is that I think the deluxe rooms had one of those magnifying mirrors attached to the wall.

flyball
05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
We've stayed in both regular savannah and deluxe pool view rooms. I must admit that the deluxe room was more comfortable (we're a family of four), but that may be because we were forced to spend quite a bit of time in our room due to hurricane Frances. Our room had a queen, bunks, and a daybed and we really liked the little bit of extra space and surface area. We stayed for 12 nights in the deluxe pool view room, so for us it was worth it.

doubletroublemom
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I think we'll be ok in a standard since we're only a family of 4 staying for three nights. :sunny: