PDA

View Full Version : pool hopping

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
if i were to stay at CR, and wanted to go sit at the pool at POLY, can one do that? do they provide towels? thanks.

mulgar
05-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Offical Disney policy is that you can only use the pools if you are a guest at that resort.
You may be asked to show a room key or some places I believe actually have wrist bands

Amy&Dan
05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Uh oh you asked a hot one! No, you cannot pool hop unless you are a DVC member (and only certain pools if you are). Also if you are staying at Port Orleans you can use the pools at Riverside or French Quarter. Last but not least, guests of the All Stars can share pools.

By the way this isn't one of those tongue in cheek posts is it?

TLinden16
05-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Only DVC members staying on points are allowed to pool hop, and even they are not allowed to use the pools at the Y&B or the AKL.

Karen

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 09:05 PM
so CM's actually check and ask you while sitting in your nice lounge chair in the sun to see your ID?

Disney_Freak56
05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Actually, it doesn't matter if a Cast Member asks to see your resort ID or not. What does matter is that guests who paid to stay at the Polynesian are the only ones entitled to use the Polynesian pool (and DVC members), just like Polynesian guest are not allowed to use the pool at other resorts -- such as the one you are schedule to stay at.

If you would like to use the pool at the Polynesian, then perhaps you should make arrangements to book at night at the Poly. :flower:

Amy&Dan
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah they check and if you don't have one they announce over a loud PA that they have an illegal pool hopper on the premesis. You are then led out in shackles in front of all of the legal pool patrons who sneer as you hobble by.

Alicnwondrln
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
r u serious or is this a joke?
thre been alot of joking threads lately

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
hmmm out to the back in shackles, sounds scary...think i might take my chances and forgo paying even more incredible sums of money to simply use a nicer pool... :cool1:

twinklebug
05-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Now that it's been brought up AGAIN... :rolleyes: I've always wondered WHY people would want to pool hop in the first place (well, aside from the fact that way back in the day FW didn't have a pool - but they did alow PHing back then)

You're in Disney! Why spend a day traveling to/from a resort that's not close to outside your door? Enjoy the parks! Enjoy Florida! Take a trip to the coast! Visit an orange grove! :cool1:

BTW - I believe teh OP's post was just to ignite some flames, "pool hopping" is not a term the uneducated Disney joe comes up with on his own. :sad2:

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
for the record, i will spent 99.6 percent of my time in the parks, .3% sleeping, and was thinking about the .1% of the time i might want to just hand out and relax. so is the pool at the CR ok? i would not want to be thought of as a "POOL HOPPER" amongst you fine folk!!

twinklebug
05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
for the record, i will spent 99.6 percent of my time in the parks, .3% sleeping, and was thinking about the .1% of the time i might want to just hand out and relax. so is the pool at the CR ok? i would not want to be thought of as a "POOL HOPPER" amongst you fine folk!!

I apologise if I accused you of being an "instigator" when your question was honest and true. I'm still new to the boards, but have noticed a great number of pool hopping questions posted here to the point that it seemed everyone must have seen & read the debate (not that there really is one, rules are rules).

FYI - (and I'm in the grey area on this one) If you rent DVC points for your vacation and stay at one of those villas, you MAY, PERHAPS be allowed to pool hop to the poly. (DVC members are the ones given the right to pool hop to any resort pool except AKL and Stormalong Bay, renters may not have this right)

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong :)

NCombs
05-02-2005, 10:12 PM

So, are you trying to stir things up for the evening? I have a hard time believing someone who has stayed onsite a couple of times and who has posted 187 times hasn't seen the never-ending posts about this.

wright1baby
05-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Are you kidding?? Do you ever get tired of the same debates. If someone is asking about pool hopping, they already know it is not allowed and are going to go ahead and do it anyway. This seems to be a mute point to endlessly debate.
Let's just say, unless you are a DVC member, Don't pool hop!

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 10:16 PM
no worries, no i am not trying to stir anything up. i've seen the topics on pool hopping before, and probably should have read those before posting. i took a few months off from disboards cause i was busy with life outside disney. have been back recently to plan my trip next month.

didnt mean to offend anyone concerning POOL HOPPING, but i must say this is one sore subject. to reiterate a previous post on this thread, we should all be in the parks anyway all day! who cares about the pools and POOL HOPPERS!

reedycreek
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
ok my email is going beserk with replies to my original post...

why are people so enraged about this topic? i honestly dont see what the big deal is. there are so many other things happening at WDW (such as the lack of creativity of disney these days) to be worrying about than whether or not someone from another resort is using the pool where you are staying.

someone please explain, i dont get it.

NCombs
05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
no worries, no i am not trying to stir anything up. i've seen the topics on pool hopping before, and probably should have read those before posting. i took a few months off from disboards cause i was busy with life outside disney. have been back recently to plan my trip next month.

didnt mean to offend anyone concerning POOL HOPPING, but i must say this is one sore subject. to reiterate a previous post on this thread, we should all be in the parks anyway all day! who cares about the pools and POOL HOPPERS!

A "sore subject"-now that's an understatement. :teeth: :badpc:

Have fun on your trip and stay away from those other pools. :goodvibes

Zip-a-dee-dude-da
05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Look Reedycreek do what you want to do. If you hop in the monorail and use the Poly Pool just be somewhat descreet about it. IMHO you should be able to do this if your spending $200 plus to stay at a Ugly slab of concrete like the CR.

But what you dont want to do is ask the DISNEY MORALITY POLICE on this board if you can do it. If you do it good for you youve got nuts but dont expect to have the people here condone it.

NCombs
05-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Look Reedycreek do what you want to do. If you hop in the monorail and use the Poly Pool just be somewhat descreet about it. IMHO you should be able to do this if your spending $200 plus to stay at a Ugly slab of concrete like the CR.

But what you dont want to do is ask the DISNEY MORALITY POLICE on this board if you can do it. If you do it good for you youve got nuts but dont expect to have the people here condone it.

I'm certainly not the Disney morality police. This is the first time I've ever posted on the dreaded pool hopping threads. The simple facts are that no matter which resort I am staying at, I'm paying to use those specific amenities and I should be able to use them at my convenience and not have those amenities be unavailable or unnecessarily crowded because of people who are not supposed to be using them. It's not morality or rules to me, it's getting to use the facilities I made a reservation for.

I'm done now and Reedycreek, I am sorry for clogging up your email with replies.

Sammie
05-02-2005, 10:43 PM

why are people so enraged about this topic? i honestly dont see what the big deal is. there are so many other things happening at WDW (such as the lack of creativity of disney these days) to be worrying about than whether or not someone from another resort is using the pool where you are staying.

Would you want to spend hundreds of dollars to go to; say a Broadway play that you had saved months to see, only to find out that there was no room for you because people who had not paid to see it, it took up all the seats.

Same situation. People pay large amounts of money to stay at Disney, regardless of the resort. They would like to be able to enjoy the amenties such as the pool without it being standing room only and no place to sit because free loaders have taken up all available space. It has nothing to do with "morals" and everything to do with the purchase of a product. If you wish to use the Polynesian pool, stay there instead. It is open to all that make a reservation and stay at the resort. No restrictions other than being a paying guest.

Does that explain it

*Fantasia*
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM
You have stayed on Disney property a few times and you have never read their "Directory and Services" magazine or whatever you call that thing...letter? or bulletin? :confused3 It tells you all the wonderful things about the resort. It says "All of the resort pools are reserved for the exlusive use of Disneys ___ Resort guests."

This bulletin comes with your resort map and also the map of the World and also the park events. They put all this in a nice folder. How could you not know about "no pool hopping?" I am sure you've come across about the "pool hopping debate." Well.. now you know, if you didn't.

FYI: The refillable mugs are only good where you have purchased them and only good for the length of your stay. This is just in case you didn't know. Just saving you a new thread.

*Fantasia*
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM

Explain what? There is nothing to explain. The rule is "NO POOL HOPPING!" I'm sorry... but which part of no you didn't understand. You know that you already have stirred up something...

I am currently debating right now if I want to spend $354 p/n at the Poly. I would be very upset if I can't find a place to set my stuff on or to lay on to sun bathe and relax due to someone who is not entitled to be there at the pool using that is not theirs. I hope I will not find you at the pool when I am there. I am sorry. If you do pool hop... please don't go when I go. You understand.

Good nite.

newholidayx2
05-03-2005, 05:32 AM
DS13 & I are planning on pool hopping to the GF, Poly and Contemp during our VWL stay (DVC-points)
and then we're planning on pool hopping to the Boardwalk during our BCV stay

except for the GF we'll be having a PS brkfst/lunch/dinner there first

goofy4tink
05-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Stay where you want to swim...it's as simple as that!!! There is signage at every pool stating that the pool is for the people residing at that particular resort. When I was at the Polynesian I was a little put out when I couldn't find a chaise to sit on but overheard others around the pool talking about how much better this pool was than theirs back at their resort. If you feel you have to try and get away with it, you can at least be subtle about it.

And even as a DVC member, I just can't be bothered traveling around trying out pools. I really don't see a huge difference in them. With the exception of SAB, I don't think it's a big deal. In fact, my dd prefers Luna Park to the Volcano Pool!!! Nope, I swim where I stay.

thumpersfriend
05-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Call me stupid but why do DVC owners get to pool hop at non DVC pools? I thought their pools look as beautiful as the Poly. Are they smaller than the Poly?

LindsayDunn228
05-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Call me stupid but why do DVC owners get to pool hop at non DVC pools? I thought their pools look as beautiful as the Poly. Are they smaller than the Poly?
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. Why do DVCs get to pool-hop??:confused3

goofy4tink
05-03-2005, 06:52 AM
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. Why do DVCs get to pool-hop??:confused3

Just a perk we get. I'm one of those DVC owners who just doesn't feel the need to hop. We can not hop to the pools at SAB or AKL tho. Have to say that my favorite pool is still Luna Park at BW. The only reason I would swim at a different pool would be if we had friends staying at a different resort than us. Then I would hop to their pool since they couldn't use ours. But that would be the only reason. I just can't be bothered lugging my swim stuff around. My resort pool gets it done for me!!

Sammie
05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
DVC members get to Pool Hop as a perk for investing thousands of dollars in the inital purchase and continuing to do so with their annual dues. However there are restrictions. No hopping to the pool at the Yacht/Beach and no use of the AKL pool. Members must check with the resort to use the pool, in case the resort is at capacity. At certain peak times, DVC members are not allowed to Pool hop.

I am a DVC member and do not use this perk, it is too much hassle and the pools where I am staying are fine with us. If we wish to use the pool at a nonDVC resort, we simply book a stay there.

Even as a member I do not feel I should inconvenience the paying guest.

Lewisc
05-03-2005, 08:14 AM

That was a courtesy that was put in to help sales back when there was only one DVC, OKW was originally called Disney Vacation Club. Disney even gave away 10 years of park passes to help sales. Even DVC members can't pool hop to AKL and SAB. As more DVC rooms get built further pool hopping restrictions are possible.

Miss Inga Depointe
05-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Just for the record, I have seen non-resort guests being asked to leave pools. Once at the Polynesian and once at Wilderness Lodge. I guess there are probably lots of people who get away with it, but for these folks it was a bit embarrassing!!!!! :blush:

How do you go about doing it? Discreetly, I guess. And you have to show your ID to get a towel. And if I couldn't find a table or a cababa and you were at one and I heard you say you were staying somewhere else....I'd turn you in!!! :wave2: Yes, that's just the kind of jerk I am!

HeatherPage
05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Okay, I'm sorry I just have to say this...the term is its a "moot" point...sorry go about your business now everyone.

dreamflight99
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Only DVC members staying on points are allowed to pool hop, and even they are not allowed to use the pools at the Y&B or the AKL.

KarenHi, Karen. :wave2: I just wished to ask a specific question in regards to your above response. If a DVC member permits "other" family members to use their points/membership for a stay on WDW property, or actually "sells" the points to a stranger (as some people apparently do)-- are these "other" people permitted to POOL HOP using the guidelines you posted (as they are not technically "DVC members")?? Is Disney/DVC this strict/adherent when it comes to this matter? How would anyone know if they are actually "members" unless the guests informed them, as their keys will reflect "members" when ever anyone uses points for a DVC stay. It's all a bit confusing. TIA for your help with this query, it's always had me wondering. :confused3

*For the Record: Contrary to old Sorority accounts/reports...I am NOT a POOL HOPPER (sounds like a chant), nor am I am DVC member (YET). ;)
I've always been completely content to swim in our "own" resort pool, with no intention or desire to "hop" to another resort pool. If I ever tried such a thing, the "guilt" alone would have me tossing my "hands in the air" the moment the lifeguard blew the whistle, or hitting the deck "bad-boy" style if he/she bellowed "hey you!" at a violator of some sort. LOL. :rotfl2:

Can you even ponder doing this type of perplexing activity while on a Disney Cruise? When we port next to the behemoth "Voyager of the Seas" I'll see if the staff will permit me brief access to the ship's pool for a "pool hopping" tryst! I highly doubt it...and can only "imagine" the LOOK they would give me when asking such a thing! Goodness knows, they may hold me for questioning, etc. (especially with the heightened security onboard these ships). :rolleyes: :p What a topic!! :crazy:

Lewisc
05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
I understand some of the restaurants that give discounts to DVC members are asking to see a DVC membership card. The resort id card doesn't differentiate between a DVC member and a non-member who's staying on points that were borrowed or rented and some of the restaurants only want to give the discount to the actual DVC member.

I don't think Disney would turn back someone who had a current resort ID that showed DVC on it unless the policy was made very clear. I'd think a lot of guests go to a pool without their wallet.

Hi, Karen. :wave2: I just wished to ask a specific question in regards to your above response. If a DVC member permits "other" family members to use their points/membership for a stay on WDW property, or actually "sells" the points to a stranger (as some people apparently do)-- are these "other" people permitted to POOL HOP using the guidelines you posted (as they are not technically "DVC members")?? Is Disney/DVC this strict/adherent when it comes to this matter? How would anyone know if they are actually "members" unless the guests informed them, as their keys will reflect "members" when ever anyone uses points for a DVC stay. It's all a bit confusing. TIA for your help with this query, it's always had me wondering. :confused3

LoraJ
05-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Back in the old days, we used to be able to pool hop at the poly when staying at CR. :)

dreamflight99
05-03-2005, 08:54 AM
ooops...double post w/no DELETE option! Sorry. :confused3

dreamflight99
05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
I understand some of the restaurants that give discounts to DVC members are asking to see a DVC membership card. The resort id card doesn't differentiate between a DVC member and a non-member who's staying on points that were borrowed or rented and some of the restaurants only want to give the discount to the actual DVC member.

I don't think Disney would turn back someone who had a current resort ID that showed DVC on it unless the policy was made very clear. I'd think a lot of guests go to a pool without their wallet.I had no idea about the "restaurant" discount, and the subsequent ID requirements! Thanks, Lewis for the info and help clarifying the "pool-hopping-DVC-Member" resort ID vs. DVC membership card. Therefore, apparently DISNEY is aware DVC MEMBERS are selling their points to non-members, etc.? What about extended "family?" When we took the SSR DVC tour last summer, the associate stressed the "ease" of inclusivity when it came to extended family. They are considered DVC MEMBERS whenever staying on property using a DVC FAMILY MEMBER'S points, and fully entitled to ALL the same benefits. This is where the conversation became confusing...and a bit incoherent. How to differentiate, especially when sales-people are using this "angle" to increase membership. :confused3 It's still a decidedly "gray" area. :umbrella:

Lewisc
05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
I had no idea about the "restaurant" discount, and the subsequent ID requirements! Thanks, Lewis for the info and help clarifying the "pool-hopping-DVC-Member" resort ID vs. DVC membership card. Therefore, apparently DISNEY is aware DVC MEMBERS are selling their points to non-members, etc.? What about extended "family?"

I don't know anything about the pool id requirements for hopping. I'd think the lifeguards would take anything.

There was a thread in the DVC forum about restaurants asking for DVC membership cards. The restaurant discount is extended to DVC members. They are under no obligation to extend that discount to non-members even if they are DVC guests staying on points.

I'm a non-member but I've rented points. I have no desire to pool hop but did use my resort ID for a restaurant discount. I was interested to read that I may not be able to count on this discount during future stays.

reedycreek
05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
wow what on earth did i start here. it was such a simple innocent question! i think i am done reading this thread, its starting to ruin the magic, and my excitement for my next trip. everyone needs to relax, sorry if my pool hopping question offended anyone!

skiwee1
05-03-2005, 09:24 AM

Well not all of us hang out at the parks all day. We generally hang at the Poly pool til afternoon and then head to the parks. It is a problem when non resort guests use a pool that they did not pay for. It overcrowds the pool and it really is wrong to do. Thankfully the Poly has been kicking offenders out quite a bit the last two trips I was on. To you I ask if the pool is important enough to pool hop then why don't you stay at that resort?

HeatherPage
05-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm staying out of the debate but when you say you just asked an innocent question...well do a search on pool hopping and see all the brew-ha-ha that comes up. By the way, my dad is a retired air traffic controller so I know you guys need your relaxation time :)

05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I didn't read all of these posts but I have a related question. I can see not being able to sit by the pool even if not swimming b/c you are taking up a chair and those can be valuable on a hot day. But what about the pool bar stools? I could see wanting to get a drink out at the AKL pool bar instead of VFs and enjoy the atmosphere on a day when I showed up too early for a PS at Boma. Can you bellie up to pool bars and not be a pool hopper?

DisneyDotty
05-03-2005, 09:37 AM
IMHO you should be able to do this if your spending $200 plus to stay at a Ugly slab of concrete like the CR.

Hey now--that's just mean. I love the CR, and don't call it ugly! :teeth: :rotfl:

It's aesthetically challenged!

rmontgo892
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
<<<I don't know anything about the pool id requirements for hopping. I'd think the lifeguards would take anything.

There was a thread in the DVC forum about restaurants asking for DVC membership cards. The restaurant discount is extended to DVC members. They are under no obligation to extend that discount to non-members even if they are DVC guests staying on points.

I'm a non-member but I've rented points. I have no desire to pool hop but did use my resort ID for a restaurant discount. I was interested to read that I may not be able to count on this discount during future stays.>>>

You know...I am not sure if I ever had to "present" a DVC membership card or just used the resort card that says dvc member on it whether it was discount or pool hopping?? I think my DH, DS, and I hopped once in 10+ years??? Too much "work."

When we travel with family or friends my DH and I are with them anyway at the restuarant so never thought about the perks being for the other members of the party???

I think that resort happenings newsletter thingy you receive at check in states the policy?? Maybe the web site? I have dial up connection still and it can take f-o-r-e-v-e-r or else I would check for ya. Maybe someone else can check on the web site?

I am rarely successful with coupons or discounts cause I usually forget to use it etc. :teeth: We even joined the Rain Forest safari club years ago and I have been known to forget the b-day discount certificate. :earseek:

Now, with the DDE card offered to DVC members I swear I will remember it and save a bundle! :rotfl2:

I assumed and thought I saw it somewhere...have been wrong before ;) that guests are entitled to the same privileges as DVC members????? One thing is for sure though...things do change all the time.

champagnegirl26
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
wouldn't a polite,
No sorry you cant pool hop have been enough? Jeez this thread i have found shocking! Makes you scared to ask anything!
Claire.

Muziqal
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
When I was a CM, we swam in every resort pool. Spent an afternoon at the GF, FWL or the Poly. Even swam in seven seas lagoon (a frisbee went off course and landed a few metres in)! And my brother's girlfriend who is on the international program just spent last wednesday at the GF pool. Not once was I ever questioned to show resort id, etc.

familyoffive
05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I guess that this would be the same at any hotel/resort. Imagine parking at one of the Marriott's(while "saving money" and staying at Motel 6) to go use the pool. How is it any different at WDW? If you wouldn't do it elsewhere, why is it ok at WDW?

rmontgo892
05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I didn't read all of these posts but I have a related question. I can see not being able to sit by the pool even if not swimming b/c you are taking up a chair and those can be valuable on a hot day. But what about the pool bar stools? I could see wanting to get a drink out at the AKL pool bar instead of VFs and enjoy the atmosphere on a day when I showed up too early for a PS at Boma. Can you bellie up to pool bars and not be a pool hopper?

We like to visit other resorts especially during the holiday season! When we have dining ressies we look forward to walking around that resort! I can't see why drinks at a pool bar soaking up the atmosphere could be considered inappropriate! It's a great chance to see if you ever wish to stay there, imho!

HeatherPage
05-03-2005, 10:43 AM
wouldn't a polite,
No sorry you cant pool hop have been enough? Jeez this thread i have found shocking! Makes you scared to ask anything!
Claire.

Actually this thread is downright civil compared to some others I've seen on this topic.

maryliz
05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
What about extended "family?" When we took the SSR DVC tour last summer, the associate stressed the "ease" of inclusivity when it came to extended family. They are considered DVC MEMBERS whenever staying on property using a DVC FAMILY MEMBER'S points, and fully entitled to ALL the same benefits. This is where the conversation became confusing...and a bit incoherent. How to differentiate, especially when sales-people are using this "angle" to increase membership. :confused3 It's still a decidedly "gray" area. :umbrella:

Seems to me like a "perk" the CM's were using to entice you to buy ... "extends to your family using your points". Why is your extended family any more entitled to member perks than someone who rents points from a non-family member? That wouldn't be fair. Doesn't this sound a lot like the food court CM's selling refillable mugs and telling you to bring 'em back with every visit? Any type of perk to entice the customer to buy. My take is that the the "perks" are for card-carrying members only ... but Disney doesn't enforce the rules if I have a room key that says "member" because I rented points. In the overall scheme of life, they don't care if they let me pool hop or give me a bit of a food discount ... because if the person who I rented the points from had used those points themselves, Disney would have had to give them the benefits. Just MHO.

MaryLiz

thumpersfriend
05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Maybe the reason the pool hopping thread keeps coming up is people who have just been to a resort that was so full they did not feel they got what they were entitled to. Or they just want to find out if things have been taken care of like the Poly pool. I feel that you get what you pay for, and if you didn't pay for that resort pool, you just do not get it! It is a good issue though because lots of posters have been to DW many times and sometimes just want to get the benefits of the resort pools and relax. I don't think I will be able to convince my family to go to the Poly until these issues are taken care of. Or maybe that pool is really too small for all of the paying guests alone, I don't know. Maybe there are not as many pool hoppers as we might think?

Alicnwondrln
05-03-2005, 11:22 AM
i have heard of people sitting at the bar and having a drink
your not in the pool swimming
i read trip reports when people check out other resorts and they sit at the bar or on the beach and hang out

TLinden16
05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
This thread has run it's course. I'm going to keep to lock it now.

Please remember to keep discussions civil.

Karen