PDA

View Full Version : Our stay at POP last week

foxfire
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Here's a mini (??) report of our trip last week and if I there are any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them.

Last trip we stayed at WL & spent little time at the resort since we were in the parks most of the time. This time, we decided to give POP a try and see how things went. Well, they went GREAT!

I wasn't sure how we'd like staying there but things went so well, we'd not hesitate to stay there again. We arrived last Sunday morning and were in the check in line at 8:15. With 5 people in front of us, it was only 7 minutes until we were at the front desk. I had made only one request when I made our reservations & that was for a nonsmoking room. At check in I did tell the CM that we are light sleepers and if he could give us a top floor room in a quiet location, we would really appreciate it. He said no problem and found one for us although the room was not ready. We weren't expecting it to be that early so we had already planned to head to Epcot as soon as we were through with the paperwork....which took about 10 minutes. It would probably have been less than that but the CM was a trainee and had to ask his supervisor a couple of questions. Still, we had a very fast, easy check in and were out the door to catch a bus shortly after 8:30.

As were were walking to the Epcot queue a bus pulled up so we walked right on. We were in the park 5 minutes after the 9:00 opening. The longest we waited for a bus all week was 30 minutes Monday night after MK closing and everyone knows what a multitude of people are at the bus stops then. One bus was loading when we got there. After a while another bus came and shortly after that, another one pulled up and the two loaded at the same time. The rest of the week, we had 5-10 minute waits at the resort or we walked right on as a bus was pulling up. Two nights after closing time at Epcot, we waited about 30-45 minutes for the mass exodus to thin before walking to the bus stops and both times there was a bus waiting. One time the bus left with only 8 people aboard, the other about 15. No long waits at either the Studios or AK after closing. The POP bus service gets kudos from us! :flower:

Our second night back to the room, we had a towel snowman in the window. Along with the tip, I left a note the next morning telling Lucienne (our Mousekeeper) how much we liked it and the next night we had a little rabbit and another towel creation that I still haven't figured out what it is...but it's cute even if it is a mystery. :earboy2: When we were checking out of our room Saturday morning, I saw a Mousekeeper two doors down and I went and asked her if she was Lucienne. She said she was so I told her again how much we had enjoyed the towel animals. She smiled and seemed really happy that I had told her. She said to wait a minute and began looking in her cart. She pulled out a duck and a bird and told me to take those, too. I replied that we were checking out and she said take these with you. I said you mean we can keep them? She said oh yes, they are for you to take home. Well, we had already taken the stickers off the other 3 animals but we went back in and got them after she said that. It had never even entered my mind that we could keep them but she insisted they were meant to be taken. :earseek: :goodvibes

Back to our room (1410)....we were in the 50's building that has Lady out front...a very short walk to Classic Hall. We were on the side facing the bowling pin pool but on the far end from it. We were near the end of the building and it was very quiet. You couldn't hear any noise from the pool with the door closed. I only heard the toilets flush when I was in the bathroom or dressing area. Never heard any noise at night from neighbors. Never saw any people on our corridor at all and the only way I know anyone was staying there was the towel animals I saw in the windows. We do carry a room air cleaner with us when we travel and it makes great white noise. We slept soundly every night and were never disturbed at all. :)

We only ate in the food court twice...mostly just for a snack and we had no long waits in line for food or at the register.

The gift shop had a nice selection of items; however, the lines at the register were usually fairly long. At the back register at night one of the cashiers was almost always busy trying to help people who were there to pick up purchases they had shipped back to the resort. If you wanted to buy something, you had to be willling to stand in line for a bit.

On check out morning, I went down to luggage assistance for a hand cart. It was very busy then....about midmorning. It took about 15-20 minutes from the time I got in line until I got a cart. We pulled our car into the luggage drop off area, loaded up, and returned the cart within 30 minutes. All CM's there were very nice as were all we encountered everywhere at POP. As I said in the beginning, I wasn't sure what to expect after being at WL last trip but our experience at POP was a very positive one and we would not hesitate to stay there again. We were at the parks from opening until closing each day so all we needed was a clean, quiet room and POP fit those needs very well for us.

PhoohWhoWho
05-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks sounds like you had a great time! We will be staying there in sept.! Thanks for the info.

iwannabeminnie
05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
We will be staying there in Oct! It sounds great. Thanks for the report.

LovePug
05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your report! I made reservations for 3 families there for early December (for their first trip) and am glad to read such a good report (I'm feeling a wee bit of self inflicted pressure to show them all a good time :bitelip: ).

SpoonfulofSugar
05-02-2005, 06:54 PM
That's a great report, now I'm even more excited about our stay there in 12 days.
Did you happen to notice or use the slushy/icee machine? My dh heard they had one and if they do I don't think I'll be able to get him away from it?

Mady/Sophiemom
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
We were at Pop the same time as you. We checked in last Fri. night, and out Sat.
We were in bldg 3 of the 50's section, 2nd floor, corner room, #3261. Perfect spot too!!

Yes there were 2 frozen coke machines. One was broken for most if not all of the week, and the other had it's share of prob. too though. Coke, and Blueerry flavors.

Have fun. We really enjoyed the resort, with pretty much the same observations as the OP. We received a clown from our housekeeper, and she was soooo thankful, for her tips. She thanked me many times!!

arizonacolbys
05-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at POP!! We can't wait to return there next week! :) We have also stayed in the 50s section & are hoping to stay there again in just 10 days. We really love staying here! :love:

kwdietrich1
05-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I am relieved to hear that you enjoyed your stay at POP, especially after you have experienced WL. We too have stayed at WL and AKL, I was worried that POP would be a disappointment after staying deluxe. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I am glad to hear you opinion of the resort and bus transportation. :flower:

jjan
05-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Did you happen to notice or use the slushy/icee machine? My dh heard they had one and if they do I don't think I'll be able to get him away from it?

Those things are THE best! They have frozen Coke and Frozen Blue Raspberry (my fav.) I usually don't like drinks like that, but last Dec. I fell in love with it. And, no, you won't be able to get your DH away from it :)

dawne577
05-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I am relieved to hear that you enjoyed your stay at POP, especially after you have experienced WL. We too have stayed at WL and AKL, I was worried that POP would be a disappointment after staying deluxe. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I am glad to hear you opinion of the resort and bus transportation. :flower:

We've stayed at WL and AKL as well, and have stayed at POP twice (the last time in January before a cruise on the Magic). It has its own charm. The pools were great and you can't beat the price. We will definitely go back there again.

CinderellasMama
05-03-2005, 12:18 AM
We were there Monday afternoon to Thursday morning! We were in the 70's buildings. What did you think of the rain Tuesday night?? We were in the Magic Kingdom and Spectromagic and the fireworks were cancelled. The good thing is that most people headed back to their hotels so we were able to basicly walk onto rides. I had my trusty disposable ponchos.

We loved Pop to! It is such a great resort. For our first time it was wonderful!

Brenda :mickeybar

kcbean
05-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the report! We leave in nine days to stay at POP for nine days! Now, I am really excited! :Pinkbounc

cbusby
05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the great report.....we arrive on June 18th my 3rd trip (1st 2 were at the POLY) so I was hesitant at first....DH and DS first trip......I'm more excited than they are..........Can't wait.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

jackskellingtonsgirl
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed Pop! We liked it in January and we will be back there in October. Our first night we had two very cute towel animals, and there were TONS in the windows along the corridor. After reading that some people have been to WDW dozens of times and never gotten animals I was thrilled! We brought ours home, too. I specifically went down to the front desk and asked a CM because I didn't want to take them if we weren't supposed to! DS has them in his room.

Can't wait to go back!!

cristbaby
05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the great trip report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. :sunny:

kcork1026
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info, my family and I will be there from June 14th-20th. Glad to hear it was a wondeful experience! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

declansdad
05-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip!!

Glad to hear about POP and the towel animals. We are staying there in July and who has ever heard of a resort that lets you take home the towels. :cool1:

foxfire
05-03-2005, 04:21 PM
What did you think of the rain Tuesday night?? We were in the Magic Kingdom and Spectromagic and the fireworks were cancelled. The good thing is that most people headed back to their hotels so we were able to basicly walk onto rides. I had my trusty disposable ponchos.
Brenda :mickeybar

That was some storm, wasn't it? It really poured down at times! :umbrella: I'm glad the weather worked in your favor for getting on rides quickly...that's great! :)

We had built a day into our trip for a nonpark day and after seeing the weather report for Tuesday, we decided to make it our off day. We drove over to International Drive for some shopping, touring, and had lunch at Race Rock. We made it back to the hotel before the heavy rain started and we vegged out in the room that night. :angel: I peeked out the window several times when those loud thunderboomers started. Some of them sounded very close by! :earseek:

foxfire
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I really was surprised when our Mousekeeper told me they were for guests to take home. I would never have taken them otherwise because I assumed the towels had to be accounted for in inventory like any other hotel. I didn't even ask her about taking them but just told her how much we enjoyed them and thanked her for leaving them & for cleaning our room so nicely. I even gave her a big hug. :blush: She kept insisting I take them with me which took me completely by surprise...but what a nice surprise! :goodvibes

I realize everyone may not have the same positive experience that we did at POP but my report was exactly as it happened for us. If it had been a bad experience, I would have been honest in reporting that. I've gotten so much help from these boards and I would like to give back some help if I can, so I'm certainly not going to post anything misleading. I just wish all of you to have as nice a stay as we did! :sunny:

Bugsmom73
05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Great!! We are headed there in January and I was a little worried after staying at WL too.

MickeyEars
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Great report thanks for posting it! We will be at Pop for 10 nights in June. This will be our 3rd stay there and we loved everything about it. The 1st time we were in the 50's section overlooking the bowling pin pool and the 2nd we were in the 70's section with the Mickey phone facing the courtyard. Even though we really liked the 50's section I preferred the 70's section. It was an awsome location that was super close to Classic Hall. We have requested the same area for this trip.

Carla

Magalex
05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
We loved POP! It was a very magical vacation for us with our 4 yr DS! He loved walking around the resort. We were in the 50's section too bldg 1 floor 2 facing parking area/landscape. We had no problems! We didn't see our room anyways. Had an early dinner one time at the food court on Sat. before we met family at Spectromagic. The food court did get busy during later hours in the evening. Yes we were in that Tuesday rain storm too. We tried to go to Fantasmic but was cancelled at last moment and ran to the bus like everyone else(tip: buy the Dollor store ponchos..it helped) They did bring multiple buses in during the rain storm.

To all future POP visitors: It was a fun and great place to stay :tongue: :cheer2:

Magalex

Pea-n-Me
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
We also enjoyed Pop very much. :wizard:

P.S. The only place we have ever had a towel animal done for us is on the Disney Cruise where one appeared every night on our bed after dinner.

mom2two
05-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed report. My family of 4 (including DS (4) and DD (2)) are staying there in July with another family of four. I am glad to hear about the blue raspberry slush machine. YUM! :flower:

elan
05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Glad you enjoyed your stay. We were there last oct and liked POP a lot.

DMRick
05-04-2005, 11:50 AM
We are staying there in July and who has ever heard of a resort that lets you take home the towels
When we were there the last trip (Feb), after the "noise" here on the board about people being told to take home the towel animals, I asked when I had an opportunity to talk with one of the supervisors at POP (some of you will remember we had an incident in our room when we were out..all made good by Disney), and she told me that the housekeepers use older washcloths for the animals, and at this time very few people are interested in taking them home, so they reuse those and they always have more in the wings. She gave me the figure for the amount of washcloths they "recylce" out of the system daily, and I can see why it's prob cheaper for them to let you take 'em home, than to put them in the trash. I don't remember the figure now (we were more interested in the "incident" than the animals at the time), but it made me gulp.

jessieroo
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
:cool1: Your trip sounded great! Can't wait until its time for my trip. We are going with other people who have never stayed on property. They let me pick the resort & I picked POP!! It just looks like so much fun there!
Thanks for your report!!!!!!! :flower:

CruznLexi
05-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Hubby and I are going to Pop next month. I have stayed at the Contemp and Poly last visit was in 96 so I can no longer afford them so we are trying POp for June and Oct. I love the big WHeel. In Jan we plan to stay at CBR prior to our cruise .
Lexi ::MinnieMo

kgkmom
05-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks so much for the resort report! My DD and I are staying there in July. It's our fifth trip, and we're totally excited! I think we get more excited the more we go-don't know why.

We were considering staying in a Moderate, but then we figured out how much time we actually spend at the resort, and thought, why spend even the little bit more money? We're hardly ever there! So we went for the newer value, and we can't wait!