PDA

View Full Version : Kids parade from the AKL gift shop

BostonRob
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I haven't seen anybody mention this on these boards. We were at the AKL last week and the lady in the giftshop told us thay have a musical parade for young children evey night at 8:00. We went back at 7:55 and the shop was filled with little kids. They each picked an instrument (the shop sells tons of drums and rattles and all sorts of instruments) and the lady put African hats on them and then they marched around the lody of the hotel, all playing their instruments. It was a riot and really fun for the young kids. They all got a Tinkerbell certificate when it was over.

It seems like the AKL has a lot of activities like this for kids that you just have to stumble upon. Nice place.

SleepingUgly
05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We are headed there in less than 20 days, and will be sure to be in the giftshop at least one day around 8 pm. Is this parade meant for older kids, or would a 35-month-old also be able to participate?

And do all the kids actually return the instruments to the gift shop after this parade??? ;)

RichNKatHolly
05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We are headed there in less than 20 days, and will be sure to be in the giftshop at least one day around 8 pm. Is this parade meant for older kids, or would a 35-month-old also be able to participate?

And do all the kids actually return the instruments to the gift shop after this parade??? ;)

Hahaha - sounds like fun for the kids and a great well for the gift shop to make some sales! ;)

We will check this out in Nov. Wonder how much that will cost me x 3 kids?? Thanks for the post!

scoutsmom99
05-03-2005, 12:49 AM
I have also seen this done at CBR. When I was there in January I saw it happen twice a little before 9:00pm. They had a boom box and they played the Main Street Electrical Parade Music it was so cute...they also had a limbo stick for the kids to do. Each child also got a certificate as well.

Eeyore'sthebest
05-03-2005, 03:55 AM
We are just back from last week there as well. The parade is wonderful. My DD and I were in the gift shop earlier in the day and the woman asked her to "lead" the parade. Maybe I spent too much time in there.
Anyway, you just show up about 5 minutes in advance, just come right from the storytelling at the firepit, and pick up an instrument at the table in the middle. Kids had a great time. Since my DD got to lead the parade the nice gift shop woman, Jeannie, let her pick a pin off her lanyard after all the other kids left. And this got my DD into pin trading.

And don't forget cookie decorating at Boma everyday at 1 p.m.
Also, the conservation bead collecting. Kids do 5 different "lessons" and get to collect a bead. They are given a piece of string to put them on and when they get all 5 they can get their totem bead with a mini "lesson" immediately following.
Also each of the African guides have cards from their home countries and will give you one if you ask for it. Its got a map, etc. on it. Great for scrapbooking.

Again, the only thing that bothered me about all the kids activities is that you really have to make an effort to find out about all of them. You can't just go with the assumption that the people at the front desk will let you know when you check in. Check the bulletin board everyday for new events. Have a blast. :Pinkbounc

BostonRob
05-03-2005, 09:02 AM

35 months is probably a great age for it. My daughter is only 27 months and she enjoyed it. What kid doesn't like marching around and making noise.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the instruments disappear. My cynical side tells me that is why they give the kids certificates after the parade - to get them back into the gift shop with the instruments.