PDA

View Full Version : Just Back from GF--good/bad-Updated

2princessintraining
05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
With the comp nights included, we have booked our next stay at the GF, hopefully for a much better trip this time around!! We will be there 4/12-4/19,2006. It is a while away, but something to look foward to :)
Updated-5/20

Just back from the GF.

As usual, the hotel is beautiful....our stay was like a comedy of errors however.

Check-in went smoothly, even had pixie dust :wizard: our way...got a LV of the Poly instead of the GV we paid for. So off to a good start right? Our luggage and refrig. come rather quickly and we go to put some stuff in the safe and it won't work. We call for maintenance to come and also ask for someone to override the AC as we like the room COLD. Said someone would be right up....well, an hour and 1/2 later someone finally comes and fixes the two items. Didn't complain, because I was in Disney and out of the miserable NY weather. The next two days are uneventful. On the the 24th, the monorail breaks down on the way to the Poly, for 45 minutes making us late to our PS at O'hana's, then in turn making me miss my DH & DF racing at the Richard Petty Speedway...two more times on this trip we would be stuck on the monorail for over a 1/2 hour each time...(not fun!!!). One day at Gaspiralla's grill Kirstie Alley is there, (looks pretty good too) and orders after I do for her children, so she immediately gets served as do the people after her...they forgot about our 3 grilled cheese sandwiches. After about 20 minutes I ask for my order, and I just get blank stares. My DH asks to speak to a manager, we get our food for free.

THe Rock pool gets shut down while we are all swimming in it for a "mysterious" reason, (a possible pooping accident) but noone will say for sure. This really bothered me, because that is how Rotovirus is spread, and that is something everyone should be told about...my daughter was in the hospital EXTREMELY ill from the Rotovirus after swimming lessons from the same exact reason.... Pool incident #2 ...chemicals were changed during the stay and I broke out in a rash from head to toe. Of course, noone else in my family got a rash, just me.

Had a wonderful swedish massage. Would recommend the treatments. My second time having them at the GF.

Grad Nights...would never go again during them. I was stuck in traffic trying to get back to the hotel. Since there is a limited way to get to the GF when the monorail is not in use, via our rental car or Disney transportation you had to sit in traffic while coach bus after coach bus gets to go ahead of you. In total on Friday night the 29th we sat in traffic (with at least 100 other cars trying to get to the WL, Poly and GF for about 1 hour). It was awful. As paying resort guests, there should have been an alt.. route for us.

I did make a very calm complaint to the general manager at the GF...and here is where the Pixie Dust comes in. :wizard: ..we got a 2 night FREE stay at the GF with passes included!!! For our future use. In her own words "to restore the magic of Disney for us". She said it takes about 4 weeks to get the paperwork sent to us, but I was shocked. This isn't why I complained, just that this trip there was a real lack of that "Disney Service" we have all come to love....but my faith has been restored.

Other than that, and the fact that our plane home was diverted to Baltimore for 2 hours yesterday due to fog, it still was a good vacation.

Any questions?

J and R's mom
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
WOW!...On all counts...

I thought my family (and the Grisswalds) were the only ones to encounter such types of events on vacation. ;)

I'm sorry that so many things went wrong, but it's GREAT that the GM from GF gave you such nice comps. It's also nice that you were given free meals since they overlooked your order (due to being "star struck" it sounds like).

I'm sure you're looking forward to going back, though.

Mister Disney
05-03-2005, 07:00 AM
I'd take the "comedy of errors" for 2 nights at GF and passes!

Alicnwondrln
05-03-2005, 07:39 AM
wow you really are lucky
i am surprised they gave you so much but i am happy for you
i have read some nasty stuff on the boards lately and people werent getting that
have fun on your next trip

Ladyhawke10
05-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Never mind--I had been interested in presenting a dissenting view, but I'd rather refrain from this thread from now on.

2princessintraining
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
My rash was seen by a doctor, not due to stress.

I did leave somethings out, but would you leave your room with money in it and no safe working? I don' t think so.

I almost am sorry to have posted this, because this reply has a nasty tone to it. Something that seems to go on a lot on these boards. :guilty:

I am not a complainer, and in all the years I have gone to disney, this was the ONLY time I have ever opened my mouth to make a complaint. I am glad I did, SO many things went wrong on this trip. Alot of money is being paid to stay at the GF and if you are staying at a top-notch resort, the service should be top-notch. IMO ONLY.

Am I sorry I complained, absolutely not. If you felt you were service was lousy...wouldn't you? :confused3

CarolA
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
. This isn't why I complained, just that this trip there was a real lack of that "Disney Service" we have all come to love....but my faith has been restored.

Any questions?

For what they charged for this hotel you should have EXCEPTIONAL "Disney Service" (That's why I don't stay there once was enough!)

Your complaints were more then justifed. The service sounds like what I get at a mod or value which is fine there.

For those of you who think she "over reacted" try staying a true top of the line resort. Disney charges those prices and advertises this as the flagship etc... They need to live up to thier billing!

DisneyDotty
05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't think the OP was "complaining,"--she was pointing out some problems that Disney could and should correct. I'm glad she was compensated in the way she was--and I wish Disney had some kind of standard operating procedure to provide such compensation.
I felt all warm fuzzy about Disney just reading her post.
Good PR for Disney, IMO. Thanks for the post. :goodvibes

RachelTori
05-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I almost am sorry to have posted this, because this reply has a nasty tone to it. Something that seems to go on a lot on these boards. :guilty:

I am not a complainer, and in all the years I have gone to disney, this was the ONLY time I have ever opened my mouth to make a complaint. I am glad I did, SO many things went wrong on this trip. Alot of money is being paid to stay at the GF and if you are staying at a top-notch resort, the service should be top-notch. IMO ONLY.

Am I sorry I complained, absolutely not. If you felt you were service was lousy...wouldn't you? :confused3

I was surprised at the *tone* of that reply also. If you weren't getting *flamed* that was awfully close!!!

I think most of us totally agree with you. It seems you didn't go storming up the manager with any demands, you simply expressed your concerns. The fact that they did the right thing and compensated you in any way whatsoever, tells us that they acknowledge there were problems. I'd even be willing to bet that your calm demeanor is a big part of the reason why they took care of you the way they did. Hoping your next stay there will be as Magical as it should be! :wizard:

kkozma
05-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I did not think you were complaining, the comedy of errors part told me that. You are lucky to receive your 2 night stay and its great you can look back on some of these issues and laugh. We all want our trip to be perfect, we need to get over that. Sometimes the expectations are too high. Just go and have fun and laugh at the situations we find ourselves in.
We have had so many "perfect" trips, but always love talking about the times things did not go as plan. They usually give us a good laugh. :rotfl: We choose to make our own fun and not leave that up to Disney.
So did Kristie eat light???

Traveliz
05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I didn't think you were whining either - you truthfully painted the picture of your vacation and alot of things happened to casue you to miss out on some great fun - or to be late!

And you know had you NOT said anything to management while you there and then come back here and posted your story posters would be saying - why tell us now - the time to do something about it is when you are there.

You just can't win.

Liz

Kimberly
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Quite a lot of people are sensitive to changes in pool chemicals. Often at times, brominated compounds are used instead of chlorinated compounds to clean pools because it is more reactive with organic substances. Sometimes though it can cause a rash, and it should go away within a day or two.

If not, call your dermotologist.

Tina1
05-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Everyone has the right to vent and express there joy on these sites. :wizard: I love this site and feel a few people have been a bit gruff latley. Even this person who vioced her opinion and upset someone was able to vent on the post below.Tina DON'TWORRY BE HAPPY :love1:

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=756193

3lilprincesses
05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
i think you did absolutely the right thing in speaking with a manager. i believe they would rather have it brought to your attention then for you to go home unhappy, and tell all your friends -- and everyone here -- about it. it sounds like you had a good attitude about it all, but eventually even with a good attitude, enough is enough. good for you and your family that you get 2 nights free!!! that is awesome, and i think it goes to show what a wonderful resort GF is!

don't worry about miserable people and what they may have to say! i'm glad you posted your story. it confirms my belief that GF is truly a wonderful resort!

lab_girl
05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Just back from the GF.
As usual, the hotel is beautiful....our stay was like a comedy of errors however...
I did make a very calm complaint to the general manager at the GF......but my faith has been restored.

Yep, we are another family who has had there share of 'problems' on vacations....never did talk to a manager....I've learned my lesson!
There is nothing wrong with venting...you started the thread!!
We STILL look forward to our trip to WDW!!

:goodvibes

princess_devin
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I checked in to GF on April 24 also. I was on the 3rd floor concierge level. I must have just been lucky because I did not encounter any monorail problems, and believe me, I was on it all the time! I checked out on April 28 to do the 3 day Disney Wonder cruise, so I thankfully missed "Grad Nights!"

There were 14 people in my party in 4 rooms at GF, and every single one of us would stay there again in a heartbeat. Concierge level worked so well for us because, being such a large group, it gave us a place day/night to just gather, eat and drink all the yummies they put out, and plan the day or evening.

I guess it's easy to say after the fact, but I would have gladly suffered a little inconvenience to get 2 free nights with passes for the future!!!

Cindy's Mom
05-03-2005, 12:38 PM

I :confused3

don't be sorry you posted it - you were 100% right, you're paying a small fortune to stay at the GF and everything should go right. Everything you "complained " about seemed completely reasonable to me. I too have noticed that the boards have not been too friendly lately and a bit snarky. 2princessintraining, you did nothing wrong, enjoy your 2 nights on Disney....

DisneyDotty
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd even be willing to bet that your calm demeanor is a big part of the reason why they took care of you the way they did.

A good lesson for me. I tend to get too cranky too quickly. I must remember to count to 10... :goodvibes

GinaGrumpyDwarf
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Sometimes people are nit-pickey about things they complain about...but jeeze, if i was paying per night what you did...i'd be more than complaining.
There was a rude bartender at PI one night we were there last year and i called 8trax manager and let him have it...got comped drinks even though we didnt go back. There really isnt much Disney could do that wouldnt let me go back...but even with all the "bad" things, the Disney way is to "fix". everyone has different tolerance levels....good or bad...no one should be "flamed" for stating their OPINION....

Bugfella
05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
We stayed at GF from 4/29 - 5/2 and had a magical weekend. I am normally a planner, but we decided "spontaneously" three days before we went that we needed a Disney fix. :earsboy: I had no idea it was a Grad Night weekend until we arrived. Fortunately, our room faced the pool and not the lagoon so evening noise was never an issue for us.

We decided to use Disney transportation the whole weekend. The monorails did seem slower than usual, but I'm glad we decided not to drive after reading your post. We did take notice of the crowds and were disappointed that Magic Kingdom closed to the public at 7pm Friday and Saturday with no "Wishes". Fortunately we were able to view Wishes on Sunday night and it was really great.

The GF was wonderful for us. We were upgraded from a standard room to a Lodge Tower. The Tower rooms are longer because of the turret. The service was great and we even had dinner at 1900 Park Fare without priority seating.

So, I hope your next stay will be wonderful - the GF is a magical place. :wizard: Bugfella

Sammie
05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the point LadyHawke was making is that poor service warrants a complaint to management and depending on how bad the service was compensation.

I think she meant and I have to agree that she would not consider some of what the OP listed as "bad service" just bad luck or bad timing. Just as when we were at the Grand Floridian during hurricane Charlie. Our stay was not what we wanted or planned but no fault of the staff there. Just that stuff happens.

The episode where they lost your food was the only mention I saw of bad service. I don't consider an hour and half maintenance call excessive. I don't consider the situation with monorail and Grad Nights anything but being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Same with the pool situation.

I guess it is all in one's preception of bad service, versus bad luck. Enjoy your next stay, and may it be free of any problems.

I think many also need to realize when you vent on a public forum, some will agree, some won't. Those that disagree are not necessarily flaming, just stating they see things differently.

Ladyhawke10
05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
What a surprise to see my post caused such a stir! I guess "tone" is lost on message boards because I certainly didn't mean to come off rude. The whole intent of my post was that if the stay had been mine and those same events would have happened to me, as they were explained in the original posting, I would have interpreted them very differently. And to be honest, part of what I was reacting to is that I thought the compensation was a bit steep, particularly that the OP had already received an upgrade to LV (which is a very rare treat) and had been compensated already for the late meal. I would not have considered the pool incidents or much else listed to be a service issue. That's my opinion, so no flaming ;) (I'm kidding!) :wizard:

2princessintraining
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Being the OP, there were other issues, but I didn't want to list every bad thing that happened, just a few. One today occurred. I brought to the front desk items to be shipped to my house on Thursday Morning, they were never shipped until this Monday. When we were checking out on 4/30, I was concerned because the charges were never applied to my room. It isn't unreasonable to expect GOOD SERVICE. I was assured on Thursday they would be shipped Friday, and they weren't. In fact, they didn't even have a receipt that I had given them the items...Lucky for me I had made a copy of the paper you hand for shipping items. Bad luck or Bad service, it is still Bad.

I was even emailed by the GF shipping dept on 4/30 that the items went out that day, well when I ran the tracking number, the items were picked up at the GF on 5/2...that is Monday. I emailed the General Manager again today w/an attachment of the original email to me. Another example of poor service, IMO.

I am sorry for others who haven't gotten compensated for bad stays, I was just sharing my story, as many others have done.

I also had some very nice things on this vacation, and overall it was a good vacation. But the GF certainly did not live up to my expectations, as they did last year. I even think the fact that the GM personally spoke with me shows that she felt the same way I did, I do know she looked at my history, and knew I had traveled to Disney many times. (Even as a child) and didn't want to lose our business, as we could easily spend 10 days elsewhere. I love Disney, and my only INTENT was to let her know that I was dissatisfied, not looking for compensation, but in all honesty, glad to know that I was heard, and that my presence was wanted back. Lucky for me the Pixie dust Fairy was looking our way, as I hope it does for others. One poster on this thread also was upgraded...so it does happen to others.

pirateofthecarolinas
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Out of curiousity, is Kent Mitchell not the General Manager anymore? Does anybody know?

Lori

momof2inPA
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
So you got a free upgrade right off the bat? Sounds pretty lucky to the rest of us. As for the wait with maintenence, oftentimes they are not expecting you to wait for them to show up. Your wait time doesn't sound particularly abnormal if you chose to do that, but maybe you set an appointment with the maintenence worker and did not disclose that here, I don't know.

I can't help but feel protective over the "blank stares" about the CMs over at Gasparilla that work very hard over the hot grills for long periods of time. Every once in a great while, an order gets lost in the shuffle. May or may not have had anything to do with the actress present (lots of famous people at GF, and famous people are not enough for most people to go blank). However, I also would not wait twenty minutes to ask about the food--yet, you got a free meal after a talk with the manager...good for you. :rolleyes1

Rashes are most commonly caused by stress--ask any derm. On both counts, you don't really know what happened and were upset based on what might be. Natural thing for people to do...however, to be honest, I'm still not seeing the comedy of errors. But maybe you've left some things out. Mishaps happen all over the WDW (the most surprising thing I've seen on DIS is when two people were given the same room!). I'm not seeing anything like that here.

Yes, would be better if the monorail had been consistently working to be sure. I do think the disappointment with traffic and faulty monorail service is something to note.

So your comments to higher ups got you free nights...and so you can return to GF. I'll bet you're in concierge. I'm not trying to flame you, I just don't agree with most of your perceptions, to be honest. But maybe you left some things out. :banana:

Do you work for the GF or have you been compensated for this comment in some way? It seems like the general form of many responses to complaints that I have seen. Rebut all complaints except for one or two minor points, and be conciliatory on these issues. Suggest that no compensation should be accepted or expected for such complaints. Bizarre continuity in format.

ExPirateShopGirl
05-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Do you work for the GF or have you been compensated for this comment in some way? It seems like the general form of many responses to complaints that I have seen. Rebut all complaints except for one or two minor points, and be conciliatory on these issues. Suggest that no compensation should be accepted or expected for such complaints. Bizarre continuity in format.

I'm still trying to figure out how the blank stares on the waitstaff at Gasparillas have to do with chefs working over a grill. :rotfl:

Ladyhawke10
05-03-2005, 10:21 PM

The continuity had to do with problems formatting the response in between the OP's responses. Other DISers know how to respond to each segment using the OP's original text, but I didn't know how to insert it and keep the original quotes intact...I've seen Ducklite able to do it. Anyway, when it was first posted my comments were in-between the points of the OP's, but it all looked like it was w/in the OP's quote, so I had to edit it and redistribute the post out of context. So there's the story.

Don't work for GF. I have nothing to do with the travel industry, though I travel quite a bit. I'm a university prof, actually. And I didn't agree with the OP's interpretation of the problems as such, and I stand by that.

Ladyhawke10
05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=ExPirateShopGirl]I'm still trying to figure out how the blank stares on the waitstaff at Gasparillas have to do with chefs working over a grill. QUOTE]

Gasparilla's is take-out, so the people who make your grilled cheese are oftentimes the same people who take your order. At least that's how it's been when we've visited, but it was not busy in there.

2princessintraining
05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Kent Marshall is not who I dealt with. When I looked at the card, the card says Guest Services Manager. It was a woman, who has been wonderful.

TammiMcMan
05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I would just make sure you have everything well documented. I had a GF trip planned back in 2000 (well before I discovered the DIS) and up until the day we arrived, it was worse than a comedy of errors. E-mail wasn't widely being used yet, but I still had all my phone calls, names and dates documented. Basically, what I was offered in compensation before even arriving was totally ignored and I was completely blown off when I tried to contact them upon arrival. Instead of letting it ruin my vacation, I ended up just walking away, but to this day I won't forget the names of those involved. My family had a wonderful time and I was the only one who knew that there were problems unresolved. As I said though, that was 6 years ago and we've since had many wonderful trips to the GF.

I'm happy to hear that whatever your situation was, that it was handled well by the management team. I have not been disappointed in my decision to give them another chance.

Tammi

ExPirateShopGirl
05-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Gasparilla's is take-out, so the people who make your grilled cheese are oftentimes the same people who take your order. At least that's how it's been when we've visited, but it was not busy in there.

This would run contrary to most established food service practices within Disney. Order taking and cash handling are generally separated from hot food preparation for hygienic reasons. Those who come into direct contact with the public to take orders/payment (money is filthy!!) are usually limited to the handling of drinks and other pre-packaged foods or items placed onto serveware by the cookstaff, not only for hygiene but efficiency, as well. I can't imagine how much longer those cheese sandwiches would have taken if the cookstaff had to go take orders in addition to cooking and wash their hands each time they returned to the kitchen after taking an order.

I spent an entire summer during college working in this precise capacity for Disney. Back in those days (don't worry, no 2 mile uphill each way in the snow tales) we had to add a guest's order on a pad of paper and calculate the tax before entering the figures into the cash register. Entering items individually and letting the register do the math used up too much register tape. We were timed on how quickly we could take an order, add the total, gather the ordered items and process payment. I digress. In any matter, duties were always segregated in regard to food handling, regardless of how busy the restaurant was.

Back to your regularly scheduled complaints and compensation!

:flower:

pirateofthecarolinas
05-04-2005, 06:21 AM
You pay at a separate area. The cooks aren't handling money. We go during slow season and it still takes a long time to get your food. It isn't organized like a fast food restaurant. I don't feel that they have enough CMs working the grill.

Lori

Sammie
05-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Kent Marshall is not who I dealt with. When I looked at the card, the card says Guest Services Manager. It was a woman, who has been wonderful.

Kent Mitchell is still General Manager at the Grand. There are several Guest Services managers and obviously you dealt with one of them.

The question was asked about Kent, since in your orginial post you stated you dealt with the GM.

2princessintraining
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
That is how she presented herself to me, but her card said otherwise. Maybe there are different levels of management as with any other job.

Either way, I have heard back from her already, since I have been home and am confident that service will be better on our next trip. (I can hope right :rotfl: )

Thank you for letting me vent on this thread, and for all the positive feedback I recieved in letting me know I did the right thing.

:)

dreamflight99
05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Just back from the GF. As usual, the hotel is beautiful....our stay was like a comedy of errors however.PERFECTLY STATED/POSTED....a "comedy" of errors. My hat's off to you for maintaining perspective, and not amping-out & ruining your families vacation during the inconveniences you could not control. You seemed to handle EVERYTHING tactfully, and with a certain style/grace. Perhaps this is where the next part comes in.

I did make a very calm complaint to the general manager at the GF...and here is where the Pixie Dust comes in. :wizard: ..we got a 2 night FREE stay at the GF with passes included!!! For our future use. In her own words "to restore the magic of Disney for us". She said it takes about 4 weeks to get the paperwork sent to us, but I was shocked. This isn't why I complained, just that this trip there was a real lack of that "Disney Service" we have all come to love....but my faith has been restored. Probably due to the wonderful emphasis on the word "CALM" w/respect to your complaint. I'm happy to read the Manager recognized your disappointment, whether taking culpability or not. She sought to extend some form of remuneration, especially since you were not outwardly SEEKING such (you'ld be surprised how many guests contact management and begin their diatribe with "I expect to be compensated for this," or "I want to be reimbursed for my stay,"...etc., etc., etc.!") :rolleyes:

Your post is greatly appreciated, as it reflects the standards for "superior customer/guest service" which we have personally "always" experienced at WDW. We too, never expect anything if we feel compelled to contact any form of managment for any reason, and are always "stunned" by the generous extension of compassion and amelioration often offered in response. Thankfully, you too got a mighty WAVE of the WAND, with lots of pixie dust flowing!! I'm so pleased for you and your family. Hope your next trip is MUCH better, and everything goes perfectly. BTW...were you ever able to make the Richard Petty driving/racing experience? I'm considering this for DH and Myself as a FUN/EXCITING day to share. Any info is appreciated. :cloud9: :goodvibes

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

2princessintraining
05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I was unable to attend, as we were seated so late at the breakfast that morning, but my DH and DFather LOVED IT. My father in fact has not stopped talking about the RUSH he felt. Said he would do it again in a heartbeat. They did the 8 lap race. They take photos of them as well, so it really is a once in a lifetime experience (that I missed).

Thank you for your kind words. :goodvibes

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Oh, if you are an AP holder, there is a discount.

dreamflight99
05-04-2005, 10:05 AM
I was unable to attend, as we were seated so late at the breakfast that morning, but my DH and DFather LOVED IT. My father in fact has not stopped talking about the RUSH he felt. Said he would do it again in a heartbeat. They did the 8 lap race. They take photos of them as well, so it really is a once in a lifetime experience (that I missed).

Thank you for your kind words. :goodvibes

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Oh, if you are an AP holder, there is a discount.Thanks for your quick reply! You're welcome (for the kind words...I was merely stating my opinion of your post/visit to the GF/WDW). Yes, we are PAP holders, so the discount info is very much appreciated (thank you). :goodvibes It's funny how I tend to overlook such discounts, and usually never find out until AFTER the fact. :confused3

Sorry you missed the event, due to the delays experienced on the Disney transportation system. :sad2: I'm sure you would have loved watching your DH and DF RACING the 8-laps around the track!! I will definitely have to reserve this for DH and I for this summer. Are there photos available (professional) for sale, or video/dvd taken by the R. Petty staff, etc? I would love to plan on buying these, and not having to worry about taking a camera, etc. I could focus more on the experience, and less on recording it! TIA for all your kind help.

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

minmate
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Being the OP, there were other issues, but I didn't want to list every bad thing that happened, just a few. One today occurred. I brought to the front desk items to be shipped to my house on Thursday Morning, they were never shipped until this Monday. When we were checking out on 4/30, I was concerned because the charges were never applied to my room. It isn't unreasonable to expect GOOD SERVICE. I was assured on Thursday they would be shipped Friday, and they weren't. In fact, they didn't even have a receipt that I had given them the items...Lucky for me I had made a copy of the paper you hand for shipping items. Bad luck or Bad service, it is still Bad.

I was even emailed by the GF shipping dept on 4/30 that the items went out that day, well when I ran the tracking number, the items were picked up at the GF on 5/2...that is Monday. I emailed the General Manager again today w/an attachment of the original email to me. Another example of poor service, IMO.

I am sorry for others who haven't gotten compensated for bad stays, I was just sharing my story, as many others have done.

I also had some very nice things on this vacation, and overall it was a good vacation. But the GF certainly did not live up to my expectations, as they did last year. I even think the fact that the GM personally spoke with me shows that she felt the same way I did, I do know she looked at my history, and knew I had traveled to Disney many times. (Even as a child) and didn't want to lose our business, as we could easily spend 10 days elsewhere. I love Disney, and my only INTENT was to let her know that I was dissatisfied, not looking for compensation, but in all honesty, glad to know that I was heard, and that my presence was wanted back. Lucky for me the Pixie dust Fairy was looking our way, as I hope it does for others. One poster on this thread also was upgraded...so it does happen to others.

We had issues with shipping with GF last year, both incoming (when we arrived... didn't get our package for THREE DAYS. It was sitting in the convention center and nobody bothered to deliver it to us, despite my checking on it and their promises from the time I checked-in that it would be there). Also had similar issues as you to get our pkgs back home to us.

I love the GF and enjoyed our stay there last summer too. But I have to admit, we did encounter bad, poor and/or lack of service and never got any compensation when I voiced my concerns. Since this isn't my thread, I won't go into it, but I'd be thrilled to have received the compensation the OP did. I also think she had every right to complain about the issues she did, regardless of whether they were due to poor service or bad luck.

2princessintraining
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
You can get the photos in a trifolder for $39, or on a plaque for $79. It is professional looking and a really nice souveniour. BOth my DH and DF bought the Trifolder, and I already bought picture frames for my husband and he has hung them up w/his other NASCAR parafanalia...LOL.

W/the discount, I believe it cost $372. No videos are taken, but you can take video. There is a seating area right up at the front for family, so you can get great shots of them getting in/out of the car. Book in advance...all 6 spots were taken on the day my husband went.

Two times per day 7-11 and 1-4.

Hope this helps. :wave:

ExPirateShopGirl
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
That is how she presented herself to me, but her card said otherwise. Maybe there are different levels of management as with any other job.

Either way, I have heard back from her already, since I have been home and am confident that service will be better on our next trip. (I can hope right :rotfl: )

Thank you for letting me vent on this thread, and for all the positive feedback I recieved in letting me know I did the right thing.

I like to see it when a person or (resort in this case) takes on the responsibility of making an effort to restore someone's faith in them. She didn't have to compensate you, but I'm glad Disney gave her the lattitude to do so because she felt the situation warranted it.

If the desk had informed me that someone would be "right up" to take care of my safe, I would assume that meant 20 minutes or so, 30 on the outset. If I had known it would have taken 90 minutes, I would have placed my valuables in the house safe and fetched them upon my return, but they didn't give you an accurate estimate of his/her arrival.

In any case, you did maintain perspective, and I'm glad you voiced your concerns. A good GM wants to know where they can strive to serve you better, that's what the hospitality business is all about (after the almighty dollar, of course.)

Enjoy your next stay!!!!!

:flower:

Lives4Disney
05-04-2005, 12:42 PM
2Princessintraining - Good for you!! I am glad they compensated you. In my opinion you got what you deserved. No flames here.

I love the GF, but have had some sevice issues with them, also. We were comped one night of our stay due to their blunders.

Also, regarding the wait for service on the safe. I believe that the guest must be in the room when they are doing work on a safe. That has been our experience. Bummer it took them SO long to show up. I think that is crummy service.

I really do love the GF - poor service aside. It is a lovely place to stay. Hope your next stay is perfect!!!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Anastasia
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
We stayed at the GF last year for nine nights. While I don't have any major complaints, I didn't feel like the service was stellar. I was expecting more. I know that we had lousy (slow) service at the restaurant for breakfast one day (the name of the restaurant escapes me at the moment). I was told that a Tinkerbell card would be delivered to our room for my daughter's birthday, it never happened. I didn't feel that most of the employees were overly friendly. I guess I just didn't feel that Disney Magic I was looking for.

Again, no major complaints and it didn't ruin my vacation, but I was expecting a little more.

To the OP, I agree - what a comedy of errors!! If it had only been one or two of the things that happened to you, I would not have made mention of it. But considering how many things went wrong, you were right to mention it to the manager. It sounds like you handled it in a mature and rational manner, and I think it is wonderful that they are compensating you so generously. I would never have expected that, and it restores my faith in Disney service. While some of the things were not the fault of the Grand Floridian (traffic delays, monorail problems), a Disney vacation encompasses all aspects of the trip. The parks and transportation and hotel stay are all part of the Disney experience.

Congratulations on your handling of the matter, and enjoy your return visit!!

dreamflight99
05-04-2005, 01:47 PM
If the desk had informed me that someone would be "right up" to take care of my safe, I would assume that meant 20 minutes or so, 30 on the outset. If I had known it would have taken 90 minutes, I would have placed my valuables in the house safe and fetched them upon my return, but they didn't give you an accurate estimate of his/her arrival.

This has happened to us on a couple of occasions, and seems to be a terribly common problem with even the best resorts. The worst experience happened at the Portofino Bay Hotel in a 2-room Kid's suite. Upon arrival, we were very pleased with the suite and decor. The kids room was adorable, with a bunk "castle princess" bed, and themed table/chairs and walls. Truly magical. It became immediately evident our A/C unit was defective, and blowing "warm" air when it was on A/C-COOL. We promptly phoned for maintenance/assistance. After more than an hour, the technician finally arrived. We sat in the main bedroom for another hour while he "tinkered" with the unit, failing to correct the problem after making numerous calls to the center on his cell/radio. :confused3 He left, and told us he would be "right" back. After another 50 minute wait, my DH became a bit upset. He phoned maintenance, and they assured us he was on his way. Another 30 minutes, and NO ONE came?!? :confused3

Well, we were hungry & tired (some jet-lag & traveling fatigue). We wanted to go off-property to the Olive Garden for Dinner. DH called the service department, and informed them we were leaving our suite to go out for dinner, and the maintenance associate was free to enter the room and FIX the problem during our absence. We called valet, and had our vehicle pulled to the front. Valet called the room within 5 minutes to alert us the truck was ready (very proficient dept).

Three hours later, we returned to our suite (we stopped at Walmart after dinner for some bottled water and other items). The area was still a mess (during his initial visit he removed the grate/cover to the filter area, the control panel, and a few other items...leaving these and the screws all over the place) and the problem was never amended. DH phoned a night manager, and he arrived in the room within 5 minutes of the call. He apologized emphatically, offered a complimentary evening (for the problems experienced), and called someone to FIX the matter immediately. He stayed in the room during the repair, which took the new technician all of 15 minutes to complete!? If it could not be fixed, the manager had offered to move us to whatever suite he had available (which we found suitable). :wizard: Although we never asked for any FREEBIE, etc.--it was indeed appreciated for all the inconvenience we experienced during our first evening. The room rate, with a Fan Club or AP discount was more than $400.00 per eve! Therefore, the gesture was greatly appreciated. :goodvibes I believe it's all up to the manager on duty, and what they perceive to be proper under the present circumstances (since each situation is unique).

I remain pleased to know you took the time and concerted effort to contact the on-duty management for assistance, and received the subsequent offer you posted. Without such invaluable feedback, resort managers and their staff would not have any measure or basis with which to gauge guest satisfaction or in some cases, disatisfaction.

DF99 :wave2:

dreamflight99
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
oops...double post! :goodvibes

Sammie
05-04-2005, 03:56 PM

There are several levels of management with the GM being over the entire resort and all personel. Then you would have a Concierge manager, a food services manager, recreation manager, housekeeping manager, and several others including Guest Services manager which deals with guest problems and complaints.

Enjoy your stay.

dreamflight99
05-04-2005, 05:33 PM
There are several levels of management with the GM being over the entire resort and all personel. Then you would have a Concierge manager, a food services manager, recreation manager, housekeeping manager, and several others including Guest Services manager which deals with guest problems and complaints.

Enjoy your stay.You are SO correct, Sammie!::yes:: In fact, when we returned home from the stay posted above (which was when the Portofino first opened) I promptly penned a letter of commendation to Loews Corporate office. I learned through their reply the person whom assisted us (which I "presumed" to be the "night RESORT manager") was truly the "front desk manager."

Apparently, they too have the power to comp a night or offer something appropriate when they deem fitting. :confused3 I always thought only a RESORT or GENERAL manager could do such a thing. ;)

nwdisgal
05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
I like to see it when a person or (resort in this case) takes on the responsibility of making an effort to restore someone's faith in them. She didn't have to compensate you, but I'm glad Disney gave her the lattitude to do so because she felt the situation warranted it.

Empowerment. ;)

Glad the person who handled the matter felt empowered. I guess how much and what to compensate is a personal opinion. Two free days is a generous comp.

Yah, a comedy of errors would be it.

lookingforward
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
I feel for the OP. It does sound like a series of comical mishaps! I also feel that as dedicated Disney fans we are obligated to communicate our displeasure to managment as well as the things that please us. I have stayed at the GF and at over $400 per night you do expect a little extra magic.

A few years ago my parents, my uncle from Germany and I were eating lunch at Cinderella's Castle. I felt something in my hair and moved my hand to see what it was and got bitten by a wasp. It hurt like heck and my hand swelled up a bit. We asked for ice and the manager came over to see how I was. He personaly escorted me to the first aid station while my parents continued their lunch. He did not have to do that, but it was WDW service at it's best. I finally returned to the table and the manager paid for the entire check (about $80..we did leave a large tip). Was it WDW's fault that a wasp bit me? Heck no. Did I ask for compensation? No. But it was a lovely way for WDW to make lemonade out of lemons. Good customer service, good will, kindness. It goes a LONG way. (even on these boards!)

2princessintraining
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
When I got home today 5/16/05 in the mail was the voucher for Two Nights at the GF Lagoon View, and 4 2-day park hopper passes.

I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon, and am very pleased at the follow-up that was made on our behalf by the Guest Manager Ellen.

Now, when to go back.....LOL :goodvibes :rotfl:

3lilprincesses
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
you lucky, lucky girl!! good for you for speaking up, and really good for you for your free 2 day stay!!

pjupton
05-16-2005, 06:26 PM
This would run contrary to most established food service practices within Disney. Order taking and cash handling are generally separated from hot food preparation for hygienic reasons. Those who come into direct contact with the public to take orders/payment (money is filthy!!) are usually limited to the handling of drinks and other pre-packaged foods or items placed onto serveware by the cookstaff, not only for hygiene but efficiency, as well. I can't imagine how much longer those cheese sandwiches would have taken if the cookstaff had to go take orders in addition to cooking and wash their hands each time they returned to the kitchen after taking an order.
I spent an entire summer during college working in this precise capacity for Disney.

Unless things have changed drastically at Gaspy's since I spent 4 months working in this precise capacity at this precise location, the CM taking the order is behind the food counter, right over the pizza warmers and next to the hot box holding the burgers & hot dogs. The order taker servers fries and pizza and may even been the grill cook during slow times. The cash register is clear on the other side of the room. Oh, all the orders were handled verbally, nothing was written. If the place was slammed, it is entirely possible the OP's order just got forgotten or given to someone else.

Alicnwondrln
05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I am sorry for you but glad they made things right
have you read the thread about the family who had trouble at ASMU and are getting basically nothing saying there is a standard formula for service issues and they cant do anything
i am really disappointed in disney

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=785797&page=1&pp=15

2princessintraining
05-19-2005, 07:41 AM
updated--w/good news!! bump.