PDA

View Full Version : OVERWHELMED & needing suggestions; leaving in 4 days

o2go2disny
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
I am SOOOO confused. We are leaving in 4 days & we do not have a "game plan". We purchased "The Unofficial Guide" & have been looking over it, but we can't decide where to go first & what to do first. We will be there for 7 days. We want to go to SW & the beach also. We are trying to decide whether to go to BB & DQ, but I'm not sure we have the time.
Can anyone tell me if AK & MGM could be combined into one day? We just didn't see all that much for us to do there? Maybe it will change once we get there.
I might add that there are 5 of us, our kids are 15, 12 & 9. I want this to be a great vacation but so far I am not looking forward to it at all because I'm so confused & frustrated :crazy: My stress level is through the roof right now.
We want to go to WDW the first 4 days because of the Celebration starting on the 5th & that is the ONLY thing I know for sure :sad2:

Should we just go & "wander around" or do we need to know where we are going & when because of time ?

Oh, one last thing :blush: Can tickets be purchased @ POR or do we have to go to the gates?

jenndisney
04-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Can anyone tell me if AK & MGM could be combined into one day? We just didn't see all that much for us to do there? Maybe it will change once we get there.

No. I think you will need one day for MGM, and we can do AK from morning until about 3pm. That is us. We just aren't into AK.

We are trying to decide whether to go to BB & DQ, but I'm not sure we have the time.

I say make this one full day, especially with the ages your kids are! Do BB until 2 or so and head to DTD and do DQ. This is what we are doing our first day there.

I want this to be a great vacation but so far I am not looking forward to it at all because I'm so confused & frustrated My stress level is through the roof right now.

Relax! It is a vacation. I assume you have never been. Enjoy your first trip. Also realize that even if you had two weeks, you will not see everything. Just go with the flow. If you miss something, make a list and try to see it next time. My advise ( and I am an overplanner!) is to atleast determine which parks you are doing on what days. That will help you. Put SW somewhere in the middle of your week. That will give you a break from Disney (can't believe I wrote that!) My opinion is to do something like:
Day 1: BB and DQ
Day 2: Epcot
Day 3: MGM
Day 4: SW
Day 5: MK
Day 6: AK/Beach (not sure which beach you are wanting to do....)
Day 7: Back to your favorite park

Of course this all depends on EMH. I also am not sure of which days you are going and flight schedule. But the main thing to us is to break up the days so you do get a break.

Also, look at how adventurous your children are. Are they into the Major rides? Not sure yet? That will help you to determine which rides to do.

Also, make sure you see the night shows (fantasmic, Illuminations, ect...)

I guess I added a few more questions to your post. But again, just relax. It is a vacation. You also need to enjoy yourself!

Bob P
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Don't worry...you'll do fine! Just have an idea of what you want to do!

With three kids that age, MGM will be a big hit. Plan on spending most, if not all, of a day there. You could certainly do AK in a morning, but I wouldn't give up time at the Studios to do AK.

It will be fun to be around WDW when the celebration begins, so don't count that out...

Don't wander around though, just pick attractions you know you want to see and do them in some sort of order. Otherwise it will be like going all over the face of a clock---from 1 to 9 to 3 to 11 to 6.

Yes, you can buy tickets at the resort front desk.

Take a deep breath and enjoy!!!!

Bob

mmeb144
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
OK, here we go:

1) Go to the disneyworld website and order your park tickets to be picked up at will call. You'll save some money that way on the tickets. Be sure to get the confirmation #.

2) Use the itineraries in the back of the unofficial guide to help you decide what attractions to visit. If you have time, check out the whatever attractions are not on the list. Use the show times guide that you get in the park to find times for the live shows. As to what park, what day, the guide will help you to figure that out, too.

3) With all the above, I wouldn't go to any park but Disney for the 7 days. You can enjoy the water parks and DQ. You might even have time to enjoy the resort. :)

4) If you can iron out what day you'll be at what park, make a PS at whatever cool restaurant strikes your fancy. My family especially enjoys the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre at MGM. The food isn't the best, split an entre, but the show is really fun.

Have fun!

Marie

LSUDis
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Don't forget to check the attractions' schedules at disneyworld.com. For example, if Spectromagic is a do-not-miss for you, it may be performed only on select nights....that may help you decide what park for which day.

Fantasmic, too, may only be offered on certain nights.

Our first time at Disney, we were at AK at opening and raced to Kilimanjaro. Then, we left for MGM. (We only had 4 days our first time there.)
The next year, we did a park per day and left one extra day for MK again.

If you don't have park hoppers, your planning may be a bit difficult.

If I had to choose among BB, DQ, or TL, I would choose Typhoon Lagoon. You can relax and there is something for all of those ages in your family.

Wishing on a star
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
We are leaving FRIDAY!!!! We too will be there the first week of May.

1. With the celebration going on, you will want to be sure you are aware of the Disney Schedules. For example, Epcot is closing very early on the 5th...

2. Really, the Disney schedules, EMH's, early closings for the the 50th celebration, etc... This should really help dictate YOUR schedule.

Unless you just LOVE crowds and are the ultimate Disney freak who MUST be there at MK on the 5th. I would advise you avoid MK on the 5th!

3. I would get a sheet of note-book paper, and looking at the Disney Schedules, start penciling in what you feel would be best to do on each day... With everything going on at this time, I think that taking the time to do this is definately to your advantage!!!! Then you should see a basic itenerary start to take shape.

I would really PRIORITIZE here.... Determine what are the most important and meaningful parks and attractions, etc... Pencil them in FIRST.... Then fill in from there.

4. Take a DEEP breath, and tell yourself, "It's OKay if we do not do EVERYTHING....." Repeat this several times!!!!!

We are doing MK(2 days), SW, and DC.... Those are the biggies for us on this trip.

5. Do not forget how exhausting a demanding vacation schedule can be... be sure to try to avoid early mornings after late nights... leave some Free Time for nothing more than R&R in the middle of your trip. (I am planning this for the day of the 5th!!!!!)

and, Last.... have a WONDERFUL vacation!

MinniMama
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok - here goes- well you asked-I would have an AM and PM park. I have an 5 , 11, 13 and they LOVE DQ so unless you want to be there every night do it near the middle as they will beg to go back but don't miss it and same for TL we love that park way more than BB best for a family with kids of varied ages easier to set up near the edge of the wave pool and wander from there- next for the parks I would avoid the EMH mornings but do the evenings we usually do AK and a water park together- AK am BB it is near it in afternoon AK gets very hot! so here is what we do
MK first day thats the real magic for us then a nice dinner then epcot in evening
next day or switch these days around
we do MGM or AK morning
Mgm is tricky to see it all as becasue the shows are scheduled at specific times and you need to line up so head straight for TT and get fast pass for RNR they are near each other then when done do a few shows you like B&B is awersome for all and they are all close! There is a great mickey near the millionare that is in airconditioning and makes a great family photo keepsake

Next day do AK morning then MK or epcot evening if your hot switch to an afternoon waterpark then hit epcot or MGM for evening show-
as you can see we hop a lot
so we plan to do each persons top 3 must sees then we are all happy! I find it too long in one park it wears you out a quick monorail or boat ride revives you-
easy hops MK to Epcot- monorail
Epcot to MGM - boat-
or walk (not my fav too long & hot)
AK to BB and Boma meal after our favorite combo day
TL then to Down town Disney and DQ
These combos help plan our days
Also like the others said use EMH the way you want
Being a disney freak I can not imagine not being in MK on the 5th!!
Make history BE THERE :cool1:
Most of all have a blast relax magic does happen but take breaks and lsiten to your childrne do what they want but have a simple plan AM park PM park and one meal plan per day even if it is just knowing which counter service you want to try.

MOST OF ALL BE AT THE PARK GATE 15 MINUTES BEFORE OPENING- you will get the most for you days by doing your favs the first 2 hours then the crowds arrive take a break and go back later!

PIXIE DUST COMING YOUR WAY FOR A MAGICAL TRIP!

Metro West
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Just relax...you'll do fine. You don't want to stress yourself out on vacation..right? :teeth:

DisneyPhD
04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi, we leave on Friday too, and will be at PORS for most of the 1st week in May (and Vero Beach for the 2nd half of the week.)

My advice is to relax and let it go. While planning is nice, over planning and worrying is no fun (and not very magical)

We just got back from a trip with a big group and I was the planner. It really wasn't as much fun for me so I am looking forward to not havng much of a plan and relaxing and doing what ever we feel like at the moment.

Last trip I felt a little bad that I didn't get to show my friends all I wanted to. she said (and I think she is very wise)

"We had tons of fun all day every day, what more can you hope for?"

If you don't get to everything, well that is what keeps us going back isn't it?

Have a great time. Maybe I will se you around. I just got some green paint chip Mickey ears from home depot and want to find a way to get them on my double stroller as Dis identification!

I can't wait.

You planned, now relax and have some fun. Sometimes the best moments are the unplanned and unexpected ones.

larklynn
04-26-2005, 06:52 AM
We leave sat. am. My kids are a little younger than most of yours the oldest of mine being almost 11. Try to get a couple of ps and enjoy.

o2go2disny
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
I want to thank you all for your GREAT advice & info. :cool1: After I posted lastnight I went to bed, I could not stand the stress any longer. :crazy: This morning I woke up with a better attitude toward it all & then when I read all of the posts it made things even better.

I still don't know for sure what we are doing & when but I've come to realize that my kids are going to have a blast no matter what we do as long as we are at WDW. I am going to try to work on a "rough" schedule so that I kinda have a plan. But after that, I'm just going to let things be. I want this to be a FUN :banana: :banana: :banana: vacation for us all. You guys were right, there is no need to stress & we can always go back :cool1:

Thanks again for all the help & advice especially to those that gave detailed plans, that was a great help.

I do have 1 last ? Does anyone know if you can use your resort pass to get into the parks on the day you have checked out? We were wanting to go to the PM EMH the day we check out, but I didn't know if that was allowed or if they take it away when you check out.

DisneyPhD
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Ya!!!! :goodvibes :cool1: That is the atitutude to have!

Yes you can get your passes at PROS when you check in, on your room card and they are good even after you check out (if you have enough days on them.) Lets say you are staying for 5 nights, but you get 7 days of park passes. Those passes are good anytime for the next 14 days (after 1st use). If you pay more you can have them "never expire" This is MYW tickets I am talking about. Length of stay tickets (not sure if they are even doing them anymore) are also good all day on day of check out.

So long answer short, yes your tickets and room keys will be fine for EMH on the day you leave.

Take lots of pictures, relax, enjoy being together as a family and split up some too (since your kids are older.)

Have a great time!!! So glad we all could help! Maybe we will see each other on the bus and not know it!

:cheer2:

o2go2disny
04-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much DisneyPhD :flower1: I will keep a lookout for your green mouse ears :) Have a great time :banana: :banana:

Rneighh
04-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Don't over look AK. IT is a beautiful park and takes a little slower pace to really enjoy. You don't want to miss -----

Its Tough to Be a Bug
Festival of the Lion King Show (best show in WDW)
Kilo (sp?) Safari
Tarzan Rocks

I could go on and on. But I would plan for a day at AK. Remember they close earlier than the other parks. You should be able to finish up around 5 and then head to DQ.

Renee

kikipug
04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
3) With all the above, I wouldn't go to any park but Disney for the 7 days. You can enjoy the water parks and DQ. You might even have time to enjoy the resort. :)

I disagree... SW is NOT to be missed. Get there first thing in the AM, leave at dinner time, and do DQ that evening if you don't think that you'll be able to fit everything in.

photobob
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Relax and don't pressure yourself to think you have to see and do everything, you can't. Soak in the ambience, enjoy the things you have time to do. WDW isn't going anywhere it'll still be there for a return trip. Keep a positive attitude and use fastpass..Have a great trip..

laura001
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
We are leaving in two days and have been to WDW a bunch of times. It is impossible to fit it all in even if you have it planned out to a "T". You do need a whole day at MGM though. I would just make sure that the special things like Spectromagic and Fantasmic are worked into the schedule and work around those things. The most important thing to remember is that you are on vacation and can't do everything....TAKE TIME TO STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES...whatever you miss, you can always do another time... Have fun! :cool1:

shirleyb
04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
o2g0,
We will be there at the same time, at POR, and are also a family of 5. It's our second trip to Disney, and I still don't feel like we have enough time to squeeze in any other parks or a trip to the beach!

Here's my schedule, for what it's worth!

Sat PM MGM for Fantasmic
Sun AM MK
Sun PM not sure
Mon AM Epcot
Mon PM MK for Wishes and Spectro
Tues AM MGM
Tues PM Epcot for Illuminations
Wed AM AK
Wed Afternoon TL
Thurs AM Epcot
Thurs PM DQ
Fri AM MK
Fri PM not sure
Sat AM leaving, may take a few hours somewhere first.

PM me if you have any questions. We have a 15 yo DS, a 13 yo DS, and a 8 yo DD. Maybe we'll see you at the POR pool!

Vinnie The Pooh
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Just try and know which parks you are going to on what day and try and make a list of the rides you must do (need vs. want). Use the unofficial guide and the internet to determine which parks have EMH and either take advantage of it or avoid that park on that day as there is a tendency for the EMH park to get crowded early but if you take advantage of it you can get some of your top rides done before the park gets crowded and then you can hop somewhere else.
Use the guide's itineraries in conjunction with your must do rides list so your not standing in lines more than you should.

It should only take you a little while to sit and do this and its fun. While your doing it don't think of it as something that has to be perfect just remember it is a guide.

That being said, once you've done this then just enjoy your vacation if something comes up that deviates from your plan do not stress just go with it.
Try not to make the mistake of trying to see everything.

Take in all the sights and sounds along the way. These are the things that seem to stick with me the most. I can still distinctly recall the first night my wife and I entered Epcot. The music and lights and atmosphere were just awesome!

some of the shows that happen spontaneously (especially in MGM) are worth stopping and watching. Often times they will involve people who stop in the show and it can really be a great vacation memory.

o2go2disny
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
shirleyb-I was looking at your schedule & for Monday PM you have down Spectromagic. The schedule I found on wdinfo shows that the only spectromagic that week is Thursday & Friday. Did you find your info somewhere else? I was just curious because I think Monday would be better for us too but I didn't see it was available :confused3

DisneyPhD
04-26-2005, 11:51 AM
shirleyb-I was looking at your schedule & for Monday PM you have down Spectromagic. The schedule I found on wdinfo shows that the only spectromagic that week is Thursday & Friday. Did you find your info somewhere else? I was just curious because I think Monday would be better for us too but I didn't see it was available :confused3

We won't be there Thursday and Friday so I sure hope it is earlier in the week. Sometimes they don't have it listed, but then are running it the actual week. Spectro or wishes are not running then (I wonder if they will have some fireworks for the grads since we are eating dinner at Ohana's on Saturday.

I know that Grad nights are Friday and Saturday and MK closes early because of this. For this reason I am guessing Epcot will be a bit more crowded then normal for that time. The grad crowd should be cleared out by Monday. MK shouldn't be much more busy since a lot of the groups will be doing MGM or Epcot during the day since they will have MK to themselves during the nights. AK shouldn't be effected at all. As Rneighh said don't skip AK, it shouldn't take a lot of your time, but it is worth it to do it once. It is a fun place with something for everyone.

One hint, if you are NOT doing EMH avoid that park that day. It will be much more crowded then normal. The evening EMH are rather busy for the 1st hour, then thin out. MK evening EMH really is worth it since there is so much open, some of the other parks don't have much open and unless you want to ride the open rides again and again it isn't worth the time. If you have hoppers it is good to hop over for it. For me the morning ones aren't really worth it, but 3 exta hours are nice. It is Wednesday for MK, and we will be at Vero so we won't be doing that this trip.

My DH and a few friends did MGM pm EHM on night for the last hour (until 10:00) and they rode TT and RR 2 twice in that hour. They said it was worth it for them, but it wouldn't have been for the kids so we did Epcot and saw Illumnations.