PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn & Suites or Del Sol?

Lollipop's Mom
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I haven't had a lot of luck with priceline (over at biddingfortravel lots of people are getting rejected bids right now for the DL area), so my next best choice is one of these 2 motels. DI is $49/nt and DS is $54/nt.
I have a budget of $120 with taxes, so these look like my best bet. Which would you choose? They both have both good and bad reveiws on tripadvisor....so I am stuck!

BlueBayou
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Are you talking about the Desert Inn and Suites on Harbor? We stayed there for 5 nights (parlor suite) in December. We liked it just fine. Housekeeping worked very hard. I was concerned about the mixed reviews, but it worked well for us.

It is not a 5 star resort, but it feels very clean. We have also stayed at the HOJOs, Park Inn and Best Western Park Place. We would stay at all 4 places again.

Sher

Lollipop's Mom
04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Yes the one on Harbour. Has an indoor pool. That is one reason I am iffy on it...we might want to lay out and relax in the sunshine rather than being inside.

dsnylndmom
04-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Del Sol has been reported as being "roachy" quite often so I'd skip that entirely.

I stayed at Desert Inn November and we had a multitude of issues, we won't be going back. It seems that Desert has become very iffy lately. You may get lucky though.

Have you checked the Tropicana? I got rooms there twice last year for under $60.

Mary Jo
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Liz - try Tropicana & Park Inn

Of the two you mention here I would say the Desert Inn -- Del Sol is set way in the back. I haven't checked out these places, so I cannot comment on their rooms, etc.

Lollipop's Mom
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
The tropicana is 89/nt :(
The BW Park Place has a managers special of 75.
I was really hoping to keep my hotel to 120....and with priceline you usually can. I am going to wait out my 72 hours and try again. Fingers crossed. The Ramada Maingate is 66....so that is prob next on my list...your photos looked good on that one Mary Jo.

Mary Jo
04-20-2005, 11:09 PM
The Ramada Maingate is 66....so that is prob next on my list...your photos looked good on that one Mary Jo.

Hey -- and the jacuzzi is actually HOT at that place :teeth:

Itinkso
04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Tropicana and Park Inn have web specials at www.bei-hotels.com Desert Inn is better than Del Sol (it used to be Marco Polo) - it is behind Denny's. We never use the pools at the hotels as we have one at home...but if you want a nice pool the Park Inn has one on the 3rd floor (outside) and you can view the fireworks from that area.

lkohawaii
04-21-2005, 12:50 AM
I went to bestwesternparkplaceinn.com. I found the best rates going directly through the local website. Was cheaper than best western websites. I'm staying at the Desert Inn in June. We stayed last year and we loved the people at the front desk. I call so often I make friends with them over the phone. It's nice to go back and see our friends still there. I've had a really rude lady there too though.

got2travel
04-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I have not stayed at Del Sol since they became Del Sol, but I loved them as Best Inn. I always asked for room 201 which is right above the office. A very big room and it was always clean. We've never had any problems there. But then I started staying at the Carousel and that has become my first choice.

I've stayed in a Parlor Suite at Desert Inn which I really liked. Didn't have any problems that trip. But then stayed in a regular room last year and doubt I will ever go back unless they do some major renovating. We were stuck way in the back of the hotel. The room was very dark, very dirty and very run down. Even though the pool is indoors which makes it nice on colder days, we didn't like it. Its way to stuffy in that little area.

Vanvmom
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
If you are talking about the new Desert Inn & Suites (at Harbor and Katella) it is fairly nice (staff is friendly and helpful). We stayed there in January 2005. Booked the cheapest room for 4 people, and then the wonderful front desk staff upgraded us to a suite at check-in. We loved it! For the same price ($87) we prefer the Candy Cane Inn (candycaneinn.net) which is right next door. THe breakfast buffet was better, the in room fridge was bigger, and the shower had more water pressure. Just my opinion though...

vossjemi
05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Any updated comments on these hotels? We'll have a sun/mon stay in august and want close/cheap accommodations.

jennifur25
05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
We just got back from a 3 night stay at the desert inn and had no complaints except maybe next time requesting a room closer to the elevator :)

Once I get pics uploaded I took a few of the room I can share!