PDA

View Full Version : I have a nosy question

txgirl
04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Friends and I were discussing grocery budget and it seems ours has grown lately. In an attempt to save for DW, we are looking at all areas of our budget. We have been conscience of spending for a while and we use cash for most of our day to day purchases, by withdrawing large amounts, dividing it up and then having only that alloted amount, which works well for us because when cash is gone :wave2: thats it! My friend was saying her husband is freaked out :crazy: by how much $$$$ she spends on groceries, gas, etc. so I thought I would see what my DIS'ers had to say. Here goes my monthly spending:

Gas: $300 (just my car-the gas guzzler :sad2: )
Groceries: $600-700 (that does include paper products, cleaning products, etc.)

That's Me, DH, DD-10, DD-8, DS-2

So you guys feel like sharing yours? :goodvibes

kandmwedding
04-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't mind sharing...

My car uses about $100 worth of gas each month.

We (dh and I) spend about $200-$300 on food and toiletries each month.

DisneyAddict_M
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Gas -- about $200 per month, usually a tad less.

Groceries -- about $240 per month (that's just groceries and occasional toiletries).

That's just for dd4 and myself.

GillieRose
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
I spend about $60.00 in gas for my car a month.
We spend about 400 a month for food and etc.

mom23boys
04-04-2005, 09:41 AM
I do not mind sharing either:

Gas is about $60 for my car (minivan, I am a SAHM and do not go out much)
DH car is a company car

Groceries and toiletries (including diapers) is about $600 per month

Eating out is about $125 per month could cut back but I refuse, I need a break from cooking.

We are a family of 5, me DH and 3 boys (11, 6, and almost 3)

MsMulan
04-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Gas: $150 per month (I work tooooooooooo far from my home)!

Groceries: $200 - $250 including household products, etc.

Just two of us in the house DD(8) and mom. :teacher:

Anastasia
04-04-2005, 10:08 AM
5 of us - Me, DH and 6,8 and 10 year old.

We spend about $175/month on gas. (DH works at home and only uses car occasionally to visit customers, I do mostly local driving).

Groceries - about $750/month. I think I need to work on that one!

mrsboz
04-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi. I usually spend about 120 month for gas for my minivan. I usually spend about 800 - 900 month for food. We usually eat out about once a week. There are five of us myself, DH, DS 11, DD 9, and DD 4. It does amaze me how expensive everything is. It also amazes me when people spend so much less than me. Sometimes I wonder what they are eating. I find that the day or two before my shopping for the next week it is hard to find something to eat and I seem to spend some much more than other people?

DiznEeyore
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Between dh and me, we spend approx. $180/month on gas (rapidly increasing, ugh!) and for groceries (dh, me, 12yo ds, 2 cats & dog) we're in the neighborhood of $400. This includes all toiletries, paper goods, etc. I really struggle with the grocery thing ... wish I could get it lower. :(

NMW
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
We (family of 5) spend about 750-800 on groceries. I don't know how I could possibly cut that down. About 300 on gas (2 cars). We eat out about 2-3 times per month. I guess I could cut that down, but we like to go out to eat! :flower:

CMKN
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I average around $100 or so per month on gas.

Groceries for myself and dd13 and dd9 run anywhere from $600 - $800 per month including everything

MEM
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
We spend about $350 a month for food for DH, me, DS10 and DD8 - that includes breakfast and lunch at school for both children. Our upper limit is $400. We are a single income family (with me being the breadwinner and DH the SAHD). We eat out about 6 times a year, not including vacations.

We have a healthy diet in which meat is more of a condiment than a main dish. Each child drinks milk and OJ every day, excluding what they get at school. We eat whatever fresh fruit is in season and stock up on frozen vegetables when on sale. Here in the Boston area there is a lot of competition among the supermarkets so we shop around and are not loyal to any one market.

Junkfood like chips, cookies, candy and soda(pop) are for special occasions at our house and also are not sold at their schools.

*mama2aislinn*
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I still live with my parents. We (7 people, inc mu daughter) spend about $700-$800 on groceries and with 3 vehicles (1 van, 1 car, 1 (diesel) truck) we spend about $600 on gas/diesel.

krissynkayla
04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
I cannot believe the food money some of you spend. Its undertsandable I guess on how many mouths you have to feed, and where youlive. But as for me and my daughter i probably spend $150-200 on groceries, toiletries,etc..
I maybe spend $10 in gas in a month, as i live beside my work, i walk and rarely go anywhere but church and store.

Makayla princess: (6)

1MegMeg
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Gas (just my SUV) - $100/month
Groceries/Paper Products/Cleaning Products (DH and I) - $175-$200/month

Marseeya
04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Car for DH: around $500 or more (he commutes a long way, gas + parking)

Car for me: around $200

Groceries for family of four (kids 14 & 9) $600-800

Where we really need to save money is with our eating out! Hubby eats out every day for breakfast & lunch. I eat out at least one meal 4 days a week because I'm in school & it's more convenient. Then we eat out as a family at least once a week, and I'm talking decent sit-down restaurants. It's killing us!

tiff211
04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I spend about $150 on gas a month. I work relatively close to home. DH drives to the train and commutes to work.

Groceries (including toiletries, and paper goods) run about 400-500 a week for DH, myself, DD13, DD4, DD2. That's overestimating a bit as well.

We eat out about 3-4 a month.

FreeTime
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
We spend $240 in gas (Durango and minivan) and I live about 5 miles from work. However, I think that we spend more in gas because that is part of our entertainment. We might go for a drive in the country instead of to the movies.

For groceries we spend $400 a month (includes toiletries) for DH, 2DD's, and FIL who stays 4 days a week (our babysitter, a big savings there).

We eat out once a week either pizza or (yuck) McDonalds!

I clip coupons but lately find that I don't use them because I am fine with using store brands for most items. I refuse to go from store to store though. I find the one that has the most items on sale that I want and buy all my groceries there. I hate getting milk at Wal-Mart, cereal at Kroger, etc. I think that waste too much of my time. Just my $.02.

patsal
04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Me, DH, DS 13 and DD 9

$240 in gas--we both work too far from home!

$300 for groceries occasionally adding paper products or toiletries

$35 for laundry detergents, most toilettries and paper products with coupons Dollar General or Walmart (but I really hate our Walmart so I go there very infrequently!)

$40 per month for takeout, no restaurants when a WDW trip is less than 6 months away.

familyoffive
04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Family of Five: Me, DW, DS-14, DDs= 7,8

Gas budget a month is currently $175.00

Grocery budget: $800.00 month including eating out.

JDarling
04-04-2005, 11:08 AM
For DH and I - we've REALLy learned to shop around! Here's our monthly:

Gas (we only have 1 car, my 2000 Ford Focus, that is paid off, that he drives) - $100 (and we live in Southern California - one of THE most expensive places to buy gas in the nation)
Grocerys - (worst case, including pet food and supplies for our 2 cats and puppy)$240.

Here's the trick we've learned for grocerys. Buy what's on sale. Buy fresh and cook. Staying away from prepackaged foods can help you eat healthier and cheaper! For example, lately strawberries have been on sale. Yes! :) So we've had strawberries as snacks and desserts instead of cookies or something like that. We also cut down on our alcohol consumption. We buy 1 bottle of wine under $8 a week. Thankfully, we can get a pretty good one for that price out here in Cali (Aka wine country USA). As long as you're not hung up on brands, you can do things much cheaper without sacrificing quality. Most generics have a quality garuentee or it's free.

Another way we save for the animals - we feed our dog only human-grade dog food. He's got a very sensetive stomach after being neglected and abused as a puppy (before we rescued him). He's on Canidae. It's pretty pricey stuff - at a pet store. :) But we don't shop at a pet store. We shop at a feed store! 40lbs of food for $27.

As for gas - we shop and get the cheapest gas in town. That helps big time.

disneychrista
04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Gas $80 - $100 a month ($2.5/gallon)
Food ONLY - $50 - $75 a week (or $200 - $300 a month)
Household items (TP, Cleaners etc) $25 a month

mrsbornkuntry
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Gas: $75 a month (I'm a SAHM and DH doesn't work far from home)

Groceries: $600 a month for me, dh, dd-8, ds-7, ds-5, ds-3, ds-1 (includes paper products, diapers, toiletries, cleaners, etc. I coupon religiously and stock up on sale items)

iNTeNSeBLue98
04-04-2005, 11:55 AM
3 of us and a dog...

For March:

Groceries - $450 (I saved $20 using coupons and put that in ING) could easily have been$500, but I was cautious this past week)

Lunch for DD & Me - $80 (plus whatever we spend thru Wed. this week)
I don't usually spend more than $3-4/day and DD gets $2/day. DH packs most of the time.

Dining Out - $60. Usually take-out, average once a week even though we might order twice one week and skip another.

Gas - $95 We have one car. I drop off DD at school and DH at work. She walks home and I pick up DH at the end of the day. 10 miles one-way.

txgirl
04-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi. I usually spend about 120 month for gas for my minivan. I usually spend about 800 - 900 month for food. We usually eat out about once a week. There are five of us myself, DH, DS 11, DD 9, and DD 4. It does amaze me how expensive everything is. It also amazes me when people spend so much less than me. Sometimes I wonder what they are eating. I find that the day or two before my shopping for the next week it is hard to find something to eat and I seem to spend some much more than other people?

I'm with ya! We eat what I buy and I don't buy too many conveniece foods either (pre-packaged, individiual containers, etc.) :confused3

PamNC
04-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I'll share. If we didn't have to eat or gas up the cars, wouldn't that be great??? But eating is so much fun.

It's just me and my DH. We spend about $260 a month on gas and about $500 on groceries (which is food, paper products, soap products). That doesn't include going out to eat which we do about once a week..dinner that is. I eat lunch out about 3x a week.

PamNC

oogieboogie
04-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Keep in mind we only have 1 car:

biweekly we put aside $300 for gas, groceries, eating out, spending money. If we need more gas, then we cut back on groceries/eating out or vice versa if we need more spending money, then something gets cut back.

We've been on this $300 biweekly for a few years now and it really does help in budgeting because we know we have this constant.

BernardandMissBianca
04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
For a family of 5 I think $700/month on food is pretty good. We are a family of 5 and we spend about $800 on food $250 on gas(we drive a lot) and about $300 on eating out. This includes diapers and other Walmart things like detergent and paper products. Although our milk budget keeps going up. We have it delivered and it is about $80/ month including my parents milk(they live next door). I guess the best way to save is by clipping coupons and getting a store card. With our card at Stop & Shop I stock up on meats when they are on sale, you can't beat $1.99/pound on pork chops.
I watched a guy at the grocery store buy $400.00 worth of groceries with the card, coupons, and coins(Big Y has redeemable coins) and he only spent $5 and some change. :earseek: I wish I could do that but I'm to picky about name brands on some things, although my kids love the store brand granola bars. Store brand stuff is always on sale, it's just trial and error to see if you like it.
Also try planning a long term menu or some meals that are cook once eat twice. I make a pot roast that you can eat off of 2-3 times. I also try to limit repeat trips to the store, once I'm in there I tend to buy more and I never bring my kids or DH unless I absolutely have to.

NeedaVacation03
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
There are 6 of us:DH,DD11,DD8,DD5,DD9mths. and me.

I spend around $100 a month on gas. We are very lucky DH has company car with pd. gas, or else we would be sunk as he drives around for his job.

We spend $600 a month on groceries,eating out etc. $150 of that is diapers and formula. I will be glad when it is time to go to regular milk. The formula is getting very expensive. But I wouldn't trade her for the world. :love:
We try not to eat out very often especially now that we are saving for WDW.

It is nice to see that others spend as much as I do. I feel like I am always buying food or gas. :flower:

Crystal

Aidensmom
04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Gas - $120 a month for two cars (one of which is diesel)

Groceries/toiletries/paper goods/cleaning supplies/pet food/supplies - $280 month (Me, DH, DS3, a dog and a cat). You can save a lot of money on groceries by using coupons, stocking up on things that have a really good sale (B1G1, etc), and shopping at a store with the lowest prices. If I shop at Walmart Supercenter, I can buy a lot more for the same money than if I shop at one of the popular grocery stores such as Publix or Kash n Karry.

MemoryMakers2669
04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I use $100-150 on gas per month, depending on how many times I go over to Maryland, and sometimes even less than the $100.

Food, we spend about $300 a month if that and that includes everything, even diapers. DH, me and DD 4 and DD 17 months.

teribell
04-04-2005, 12:35 PM
family of 5. we spend about $200 a month for gas 2 - vehicles. and about $800 - $1,000 a month on groceries, including paper products, cleaning supplies, cat food, dog food. i'm sure i could cut back some. but i also think it depends on where you are living. it seems food is expensive here in michigan.

MAGGIED
04-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Well here goes: gas is about $400 a month ( I am a realtor - spend lots of time in the car and my DH drives a big truck) and groceries are about $450 for a family of 4 - but we eat out alot so thats probably about $75 per week - so food would be closer to $750/month

EthansMom
04-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Gas: roughly $150/month for two vehicles. DH commutes 20 mi. each way for work in the Corolla & I use the Forester to drive my errands and take DS3 to preschool and swim lessons.

Groceries: roughly $600-$700/mo for 2 adults, 1 child, and one infant, including food, toiletries, snacks, formula, diapers... Looking forward to getting the baby off formula in the next few weeks as the soy formula runs about $13/week.

Out to Eat: roughly $150/mo.

We do try to put about 20% of DH's net income (I'm a SAHM) into retirement and/or college savings accounts. Also, try to save to pay for everything in advance -- vacations, furniture, cars, etc... So, don't have a lot of disposable income to spend as we are busy saving so much.

Southern4sure
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Family of 4 DH, me, DS 15 and DS 9

Im a SAHM with boys who eat and eat and eat.

Gas for my minivan $100 roughly..going up with the gas prices!
Groceries $500 incl all toiletries, cleaning and paper. We dont go out to eat about twice a month.

Bugsmom73
04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I would say gas is about $120/ mos for a van and a honda civic, if we are not travelling any where.

Food for us is about 200-250 per mos and toiletries diapers etc, no more than 100.

We try to limit eating out to once a week.

Tinkerbelle32
04-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't really know about my gas because I'm a stay at home mom as well! Do take DD to Kindergarten every day but we only live a few block away. As for the food, my DH, myself, and two DD's spend about $200 a month. We eat very well! But we are blessed enough to be able to shop at the commissary(my DH is in the military). I wouldn't know what I would do if I had to shop for food at a Super Wal-Mart, grocery store, etc. I'm sure my bill would double. :goodvibes

CrazyDisneyMom
04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
We spend about $400.00 in gas per month for both a 3/4 Ton Truck and Neon. My husband has about a 45 min. comute to work. And that is Canadian, where gas would work out to be about $2.70 a gallon. We spend about $400.00 a month on food and toiletries. We are a single income family. I make menu plans each week and buy what I need for those and lunch for my DD 6, plus a few extras. We are a family of 4 , DW, DH, DD 6 & DS 4.
:banana: :banana:

CinderellasMama
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
For DH, DD4 and myself we probably spend about $400-$500 month on groceries, toletries, paper, etc and DH eating lunch out every day.

We live 20 miles from where we work but I only work 3 days a week and do all my errands/shopping on those days. I usually stay around the house the other days. I drive a Buick Le Sabre that is hard on gas. DH drives the Saturn to work 5-7 days a week (great gas milage). The big Ford F-150 is parked right now and only used for small local trips. Our gas runs $120-$150 month.

Brenda

crazelion
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Gas Me and Mom 150.00 dollars month now. Use to be less until gas prices went through the roof. I have 30 minute commute to work.

Food and Etc. 150.00 dollars.

What really helps the food budget get food from the Angel Food Minstry for 25.00 dollars month save big dollars. Box have fruit, veggies, and meat that comes huge packs of food.

Baseballs season is coming up so my food budget will be going down because eat at work for free.

shatzjsl
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't mind sharing...

My car uses about $100 worth of gas each month.

We (dh and I) spend about $200-$300 on food and toiletries each month.

This is pretty much the same as mine. I drive a 4-cylinder so it is pretty economical.

threeboysmom
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Gas - close to $500/month for 2 vehicles (wish I knew of a way to cut this down, but hard with the price of gas right now) I can see compared to others that we are doing WAY too much driving!

Groceries - about $500-$600 per month for our family of 5. I'd like to bring this down even more....

Edited to add that we probably spend an additional $200/month on eating out. So this should be added to our food budget for the month.

mommytutu
04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I spend about $40 a month on gas. I have a small car and dh has a company truck. I'm a SAHM and rarely travel more then 10 minutes from the house. Groceries for 4 (me, dh, ds (7), and dd (2)) we spend about $500 a month for groceries, paper goods, diapers, cleaning. We eat leftovers and I buy hamburger meat in the 5 lbs "log" which I breakdown and freeze in freezer bags, and I buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bag instead of individual packages. DH does eat out for lunch just about everyday. He could take his lunch, but he is a brat and HAS to buy. I also buy mostly store brand and cereal in the bag instead of the box.

sharonh
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I spend around $1,000.00 on groceries. Gas for my yukon and hubbies truck would come in at around $500.00 a month. We have four boys and this does not include eating out. I think I need to take a closer look at my spending.

cra-z-4-dizney
04-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I spend around $1,000.00 on groceries. Gas for my yukon and hubbies truck would come in at around $500.00 a month. We have four boys and this does not include eating out. I think I need to take a closer look at my spending.

I am sooo glad someone else has a budget that looks like mine...I was getting nervous.....We have a bronco and an equinox so we spend about 400.00-500.00 a month on gas and our food and cleaning supply budget is about $800.00-900.00 a month...we eat out about 8 times a month which we could probably cut in half to save money....ugh how do some of you only spend 300.00-400.00 for a family of 5 on groceries??????

lemondog
04-04-2005, 06:51 PM
We are a family of 5.

Gas - $300 (DH has a long commute)
Groceries/Toiletries/Diapers, etc. - $500 if I am good...but many months spend $600-$700.

poohpcgirl
04-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I have me, hubby and DS (3)

We spend about 300 a month in gas- 2 cars
And about 300-400 in groceries. If I am being good and doing my cooking at home.
:flower:

notnothin
04-04-2005, 08:05 PM
....ugh how do some of you only spend 300.00-400.00 for a family of 5 on groceries??????

I was wondering the same thing for the people that say they spend $200 a month on food for 3 or 4 people. I don't see how it's done. Do you eat Ramen noodles a lot or what?

kandeebunny
04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Family of 2 (my mom and I) spend about $600 a month on groceries which sadnly cannot be cut as we have food allergies (all whole grains and dairy) I buy in bulk online because it ends up after shipping still being about $1 less per item than my local health food store. A loaf of bread is $6 (made from chickpea flour) and a bag of rice pasta is is $3.50 so our cost per item is about 2-3 times that of normal.

Gas runs about $300 a month for 2 cars, neither of us work, but I go to school and we have 4-5 trips to the city (50 miles away each way) a month for Dr's visits.

I wish we didn't have to spend as much especially on food, but I'd rather be healthy and eating food that costs a fortune than be in the hospital every time I turn around.

raven3517
04-04-2005, 08:33 PM
na

disneymom3
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
I am a Realtor (but haven't been too busy lately so that helps the gas if not our bottom line) and DH drives 43 miles to work one way. This is an improvement over the 50 miles each way he used to drive. We budget about $300-$350 a month for gas. Walmart (where we buy a lot of our food) and groceries including Costco are about $350-$400 and that high end is definitely high. I use Microsoft Money which has really helped me to track where the money is going and that is a good average over the last 3 months.

We have a family of 5 and for those of you wondering what we eat, here are some basics. Kids have cereal, toast, or oatmeal everyday for breakfast with milk and juice. Morning snack of yogurt or string cheese or some fruit or muffins if I have made them. Lunch is soup, sandwiches, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, turkey hot dogs, quesadillas, etc (y'know, kidstuff) and fruit and vegetable. I don't get too creative with the lunchtime vegies so it is either froz mixed vegies or carrot sticks. For fruit, the three of them will eat either a can of fruit or two pieces of fresh fruit between the three of them. I usually have salad and whatever main thing they are having. DH either brings lunch of leftovers from dinner the night before or uses his $30 monthly allotment to buy something. For dinner, we eat at home most nights. I would say we average a fast food meal about every two weeks either for lunch or dinner. Last night we went out to the Spaghetti Factory but we hadn't been out to eat in a long time. For dinners the last several nights: barbequed chicken breasts, fresh pineapple, pasta salad with vegies in it. Grilled ham and cheese panninnis on french bread, applesauce, salad. Pasta with peas, ham and ranch dressing sprinkled with cheese (Kraft magazine recipe) bread rolls. Grilled hamburgers on buns with fresh vegies and dip. Meatloaf with baked potatoes, salad. Enchilladas, spanish rice and corn. Pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce. Meatball subs. Grilled chicken, brocolli and side dish of Lipton rice stuff. All dinners are served with milk.

Oh and the kids have an afternoon snack of fresh fruit, Teddy Grahams, homemade juice bars, or something along those lines. DH has a Totino's party pizza every night which costs 98cents at Walmart.

So, there ya go. I buy on sale and I try to cook from scratch. DD does really like Ramen noodles, but they are darn high in sodium so I don't let her eat them very often! LOL

Chris
04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Family of 7 and I TRY to spend no more then 500.00 per month on groceries.
some months are more, some less.

Gas is normally around 165.0 a month if my van doesn't go out much!
We have a 12 passanger gas guzzler and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

notnothin
04-04-2005, 08:53 PM
So, there ya go. I buy on sale and I try to cook from scratch. DD does really like Ramen noodles, but they are darn high in sodium so I don't let her eat them very often! LOL

Very reasonable! I need to get my grocery bill under control! This south beach diet certainly contributes to the extra cost. Whole grains, lean cuts of meat only, nothing preprocessed.

epcotter
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Family of Four - Me + DW + DS(10),+ DS(3)

$120 - Gas(two cars)

600/month for food

IN NEW YORK

NO TAKE OUT - too expensive

epcotter

bigmerle1966
04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll tell too but it is just me and DM and we usually buy our own food. She mainly buys the milk and paper products. I usually spend around $75 a month and that is for fresh fruit, veges, yogurt and anything that is on sale that I get for lunches and of course my own toiletries and such. I usually stock up on meat when it is on sale or at Costco. Gas is also around $75. I have a mini-van and only a 10 mile commute to work, most of the shopping I do is close to home so not much going out of the way. It depends on how much running I do on the weekend and if I visit DS (Memorymakers2669) in VA. It takes a little over a 1/4 tank to get to and from her house but I can save also save a little too because gas can be 10 to 15 cents cheaper per gallon there.

Aidensmom
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I was wondering the same thing for the people that say they spend $200 a month on food for 3 or 4 people. I don't see how it's done. Do you eat Ramen noodles a lot or what?

...and at the same time, I am wondering how people spend $700 month! Do you have steak every night, or lots of convenience food?

I will admit, I do by several packages of Ramen noodles every time I shop because for some reason DH loves them (I personally think they taste like eating pure salt), but we do not eat bad. We have a lot of pasta dishes (my favorite) and we grill a lot (you name it, DH can grill it). We have a lot of salad, fresh vegetables and fruit, etc, and we do have our share of convenience foods. DS3 could not live if we didn't have chicken nuggets or fish sticks once a week! We do however buy a lot of store brand stuff, and I faithfully use coupons and if there are great specials at a certain store I shop there. I only grocery shop once every two weeks (except for milk) which cuts down on impulse buys also. We also do not eat out much, save for our once-a-month 'date nights' or our visits to theme parks. I really just cannot imagine spending that much on groceries.

Aidensmom
04-04-2005, 09:49 PM

sorry, hit to post twice!

dixipixi
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Our monthly spending breaks down like this:

gas: $80.00/month (my car). DH's truck is used at work, so most of his gas is paid for.

paper/cleaning products: $100.00/month.

pet food: $150.00/month (we have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 bird, aquarium, 10 chickens, 2 ducks, and a potbellied pig). We also have livestock and they're not included in that price.

groceries: $600.00/month. We have 2 teenage sons!!! :mickeybar

eating out: $200.00-350.00/month. Remember...we have teenagers!! :earseek:

txgirl
04-05-2005, 06:55 AM
I am sooo glad someone else has a budget that looks like mine...I was getting nervous.....We have a bronco and an equinox so we spend about 400.00-500.00 a month on gas and our food and cleaning supply budget is about $800.00-900.00 a month...we eat out about 8 times a month which we could probably cut in half to save money....ugh how do some of you only spend 300.00-400.00 for a family of 5 on groceries??????

Amen! :wave2: I wonder if the family of 5 who spends 3-400 makes any "quick runs" to the store? Those add up. Also, when I say I spend about $700 that often would include any school supplies that get sprung on me, a birthday gift for a child's friend here or there, something DH needs (electrical, lightbulb, etc.) or something I saw that I thought I "needed" :teeth: That's the deal with Wal-mart, right ;) Get us in there and we buy EVERYTHING we need. With my girlfriends, there are some who say they only spend a few hundred a month, but they shop at our local chain grocery store and are not counting their trips to Wal-mart or the drug store? I feel like for a family of five it seems 6-800 is about average, but I know the ages of children make HUGE difference. As mine get older, it seems like the bill gets higher, not lower :confused3 because they have to provide snacks for a game or supplies for a project. I love this thread and I have gotten lots of meal ideas! :cheer2:

txgirl
04-05-2005, 06:58 AM
We have a family of 5 and for those of you wondering what we eat, here are some basics. Kids have cereal, toast, or oatmeal everyday for breakfast with milk and juice. Morning snack of yogurt or string cheese or some fruit or muffins if I have made them. Lunch is soup, sandwiches, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, turkey hot dogs, quesadillas, etc (y'know, kidstuff) and fruit and vegetable. I don't get too creative with the lunchtime vegies so it is either froz mixed vegies or carrot sticks. For fruit, the three of them will eat either a can of fruit or two pieces of fresh fruit between the three of them. I usually have salad and whatever main thing they are having. DH either brings lunch of leftovers from dinner the night before or uses his $30 monthly allotment to buy something. For dinner, we eat at home most nights. I would say we average a fast food meal about every two weeks either for lunch or dinner. Last night we went out to the Spaghetti Factory but we hadn't been out to eat in a long time. For dinners the last several nights: barbequed chicken breasts, fresh pineapple, pasta salad with vegies in it. Grilled ham and cheese panninnis on french bread, applesauce, salad. Pasta with peas, ham and ranch dressing sprinkled with cheese (Kraft magazine recipe) bread rolls. Grilled hamburgers on buns with fresh vegies and dip. Meatloaf with baked potatoes, salad. Enchilladas, spanish rice and corn. Pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce. Meatball subs. Grilled chicken, brocolli and side dish of Lipton rice stuff. All dinners are served with milk.

:sunny: I love your meal ideas! Man, I really am in a rut :guilty: You have inspired me to get to cookin' again! Your food sounds yummy ::yes::

EsmeraldaX
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Gas : $100 - $160 a month depending on how much driving we do on the weekends
Food for two adults including all paper products : $150-$200

Nini
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Gas approx. $560 per month (me - $60 per wk, DH - $80 per wk)
Food approx. $300 per month ($150 on 1st and $150 on 15th)

My DH only gets paid on 1st and 15th. It can be especially difficult to stretch around the end of the month or if a large purchase is made. I work pt and stay at home w/dd3 (she's in preschool), and dh works quite a distance away :moped: . Our food bill can fluctuate depending on what I am out of stock on AND our older dog requires prescription food! :earseek:

2 adults
1 child
2 dogs (labs)
1 kitty

I work pt to supplement between 1st and 15th pay periods. :flower:

Nini
04-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Just to shed light on the food amount question...

I plan our meals for the 2 week period and shop for only what I will need. I also have to "bank" money for the 2nd week as there are items such as fresh veggies that cannot sit around for 7 days. I cook on monday, tuesday and wednesday...on Thurs. we go to dh's parents for dinner (weekly standing so they can have one on one time w/grandaughter) and Fridays we go to my parents house for dinner. It helps out quite a bit when we are able to visit for the dinners. However, there are those times when we are unable to go and that is what I keep pasta, sauce and frozen pizza dough (makes great fresh rolls!) for. On weekends, we eat strictly leftovers (sometimes the in-laws send some home w/us too!).

I feel we have a great support network and we aren't the only ones who eat over at our parents...every one has one night assigned to them! :)

I shop at a "discount" grocery store for ALL of our paper products, milk, cheese, eggs, snacks, some frozen items (including ice cream treats) and cleaning supplies. I can get baking supplies and cereal there too! Fruit is hit or miss as it can sometimes be too banged up for my taste.

There have been many times when I have had even less to spend on food...I have learned to be VERY frugal out of necessity! :(

extremesoccermom
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
It seems that it really matters how many you have to feed. I have DH, me, DD10 and DS15. The guys are big eaters.
I spend $100-150 a month on gas for the little Escort driving kids to school 14miles, work another 10 miles, then soccer practices which are 20 miles from home and 5 miles apart from each other twice a week.
I have no clue what DH spends in his big old F-150
I usually don't drive the van any more unless we have to but it takes $60.00 for one tank (I have been averaging about 4-5 months before I have bring her in for a fill up)

Food, paper products, toiletries and going out once a month usually runs $500.00 a month.

Of course between gas and food that is almost 1/3 of our household income each month. :umbrella:

mommagoof
04-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Gas 100.00 per month(dh car $60 mine $40, ds 19 on his own for gas)
groceries $200.00 per month including food,hba,laundry and cleaning. we have me,dh,ds19,dd6. dh,and ds take their lunches to work and dd takes lunch to school. We make breakast and dinner every night, eat out maybe once a month. I am a big couponer. When something is free after coupon I take it. The key to couponing is to stock up when you find a good sale.Yesterday I got 20 bottles of softsoap body wash for free, 10 suave hair gel for .25 each, 10 suave hairspray for .25, 10 aquafresh toothpaste for .29 each.Of course one problem to couponing is finding a place to keep everything. Our biggest expense of the $200 is meat we are all big meat eaters.

EsmeraldaX
04-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Meat makes a difference.

We are not big meat eaters. We'll dine on salads, pastas etc. several nights a week. I like meat, but too much makes my stomach hurt. We're also both light eaters and probably eat half of what normal adults do during meal times. So if we buy the stuff for one meal it often turns into two meals.

LynneAmelia
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Man I am either going to start walking to work or stop feeding my family monthly gas usuage between DH and myself is about $ 400.00 a month I commute into the city and live in the burbs, and I have 3 wonder***l expensive college age children the baby being 6'1" and 290 lbs the middle child being 6'8" and 275 fortunately dd is only 5'9 and significantly smaller boned than her brothers, between feeding the front line of our football team and papergoods my groceries run about $ 1,000.00 a month. Then we have tuition, books, car insurance for 2 teenage boys, ... one day I will have quite the excess of disposable income. My greatest expense I think is probably soda pop. I think we conswume between $ 30.00 and $ 40.00 a week on soda pop. Buy stock in diet pepsi aand or TAB if your looking for a good investment.

disneymom3
04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
:sunny: I love your meal ideas! Man, I really am in a rut :guilty: You have inspired me to get to cookin' again! Your food sounds yummy ::yes::

Well, thanks! If you were to ask my three year old he would tell you that dinnier is "yucky" Kind of gets you down after awhile! LOL Thankfully DD8 adn DS5 aren't too picky. I know that I will be in trouble grocery wise when both DSs are teenagers though! That is gonna hurt.

jeancbpugh
04-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I spend less than $100/month on gas.
I spend about $1,000/month on food, paper products, cleaning supplies.
We don't eat out at all.

txgirl
04-05-2005, 04:13 PM
... one day I will have quite the excess of disposable income. .

No Way! By the time your done feeding those guys they will get married and start having babies for you to spend all your $$$ on!!! My husband is one of 3 boys and when we were dating (a long time ago :love: ) his brothers were still in junior high and high school and I used to stand in awe of :earseek: all the food in their pantry. Now that I've fed him the last 15 years I understand! :rotfl:

txgirl
04-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, thanks! If you were to ask my three year old he would tell you that dinnier is "yucky" Kind of gets you down after awhile! LOL Thankfully DD8 adn DS5 aren't too picky. I know that I will be in trouble grocery wise when both DSs are teenagers though! That is gonna hurt.

It's that picky eating stuff that discouraged me a while back :sad2: . It seemed I couldn't please everyone. Kids didn't like casseroles. DH wanted stuff more spicy. DS wants the same thing all the time (2 yrs old :angel: ) I'm just gonna start cookin and when they get hungry, they can eat! :p

bengalbelle
04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
here goes:

We spend about $300.00/month on gas. We live in the suburbs and have to drive everywhere. DH drives about 50 miles a day. Most of the places I need to go are within 10 miles from home.

Groceries and household items are where we blow the budget. I mostly shop at Super Walmart so all of my cleaning supplies, paper goods, personal care items, etc. are included in my grocery bill. We spend anywhere from $500.00 - $800.00/month on all household items, groceries and eating out. I try to cut that down as much as I can but I don't do well. I know everyone thinks convenience foods are expensive, but I find buying fresh fruits and vegetables is very expensive as well. I shop the sales or the produce stand but that bill still goes way up. We're not officially low carbing, but I try to keep pasta and bread consumption down. We rarely buy soft drinks anymore. We drink tea and have a filter on our fridge for water. We drink water more than anything else. I have always used coupons but have now subscribed to a service where I can get multiples of the things I use most. I pay a fee for that service but I save much more on my grocery bill so that's OK. I rarely get anything for free, though. I always wonder how people do that. I'm assuming double or triple couponing, but the stores around here rarely do that.

We are a family of 3, DH, DS (4) and I. No pets.

I am open to any and all suggestions ya'll have for getting that grocery bill down!

WDWBetsy
04-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Wow, this made me gasp.

Just the DH and I, plus a dog and cat.

Gas averages $100 per month, however it's a bit higher now that gas prices have shot up.

Groceries including paper products, dog food, cat food, and any toiletries/over-the-counter meds: $600-700 :eek::

The DH does most of the grocery shopping as I tend to be an impulse buyer. He clips coupons, uses a list and has even created a spreadsheet to maximize the double/triple coupon promotions. He's quite obsessive about it! Even with the high grocery bill, he gets a bunch of items free or gets a credit due to the coupons.

The freezer in our garage is packed full, and I have to keep telling him not to buy so much. He loves the sales.

It's interesting to see what others are spending!

cruisnfamily
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Well, I just pulled up Quicken to give you guys an accurate report.
We are a family of 4 (DH, Me, DD12, & DS9)

Over the last year we have spent an average of
$143 per month on gas
$633 per month on groceries(this includes all paper products and cleaning supplies and dog and cat food, but not eating out)
$231 per month on all meals not eaten at home(this includes DH buying lunch and the kids buying lunch at school as well as pizza once a week and any meals we might eat out in restaurants)

Obviously some months would have been more and some months would have been less but this is the monthly average over the last 12 months. I think these numbers are pretty good and I don't really think I could bring any of them down except maybe the pizza once a week thing which probably adds $100 a month. Anybody that spends less than this, I want to know their secret. I clip coupons and shop the sales. I shop at Winn Dixie on Mondays for 5% off my bill and I work the flyer for B1G1or2 offers. We don't eat big but we don't do without either.

CubScoutMom
04-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Family of 5 -- Me, DH, and DS's (12, 10, and 7)

We spend between $500 & $600 a month on groceries and about $225 a month on gas - I drive a mini-van , DH works from home 3/4 days a week but on the other day or 2 he drives over an hour each way to get to work.

c&ldisneylovers
04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Gas - $150-month (for a car and truck)
Food - $300 month ( It is just DH and I but DH is a BIG eater who can not live without Diet Coke and meat at EVERY meal :earseek: )
Eating Out - $75 month (we usually eat out once a week and it is almost always take-out)

d4est
04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Very interesting to see what others are spending.

In our home it is me, DH, and DS (7).

We spend between $400-500 on gas. I drive a Durango (getting about 13miles/gal) and DH drives a Ford F-250 Super Duty (maybe 15miles/gal). We both have to drive about 20 min one way to work.

I buy everything (including toiletries, dog/cat food, cleaning supplies etc) but meat at a Super Walmart, usually around $200 every 2 weeks. Once a week I go to the local store to buy fresh cut meat. I usually spend around $30 there.

So, on a high-end month the total runs well over $1000. Sheesh. I gotta get an economy car and start eating ramen noodles!

grlpwrd
04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I'll share mine...

Gas: Me about $90 a month now, but I have cut back a lot on driving due to skyrocketing prices and for my health and the environment, dh about $100 a month - he works in TX and carpools to work and goes to the gym a lot

Food: Now $550 to $800 a month for a family of 6. Rarely any packaged foods (except for emergencies like a natural disaster) and eating out and soda, but more produce, vegetarian, and organic foods. No hydrogenated oils either. We never use coupons for food because lots of it is for packaged, unhealthy stuff... except if you are lucky to have winetags (coupons on wine bottles that give you a discount on nonpackaged stuff like produce and meat), of course. We do use rebates and coupons for other stuff, like from Walgreens and Rite Aid.

I've stated this before in another thread... I am willing to pay a bit more for healthy quality food as I consider it an investment and 'you can't buy good health.' We have theme nights, like soup night, ethnic meal night, dinner-for-breakfast nights, etc to keep costs down and keep it exciting and varied. We also cut down on meats and have more produce and vegetarian meals.

We cut down a lot on other expenses to afford necessities like food, like our utilities and entertainment. For example, we have a thermostat timer which cuts down on cost and we use drying racks to dry our clothes. We live frugally and do the normal stuff, like cloth diapers for the baby, use natural cleaners like baking soda, and that sort of thing.

It's nice to save money and we certainly try to do what we can, but we put our health first. Just wanted to give you a different perspective - we're frugal, but more so health-conscious. :)

Edited: BTW my dh told me how 3 of his coworkers in their 40s died of heart attacks in Texas where he works (and he's only been there about 2 months) and these guys were not at all health-conscious. :( The cost of a healthy lifestyle is worth it to me....

bengalbelle
04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I'll share mine...

Gas: Me about $90 a month now, but I have cut back a lot on driving due to skyrocketing prices and for my health and the environment, dh about $100 a month - he works in TX and carpools to work and goes to the gym a lot

Food: Now $550 to $800 a month for a family of 6. Rarely any packaged foods (except for emergencies like a natural disaster) and eating out and soda, but more produce, vegetarian, and organic foods. No hydrogenated oils either. We never use coupons for food because lots of it is for packaged, unhealthy stuff... except if you are lucky to have winetags (coupons on wine bottles that give you a discount on nonpackaged stuff like produce and meat), of course. We do use rebates and coupons for other stuff, like from Walgreens and Rite Aid.

I've stated this before in another thread... I am willing to pay a bit more for healthy quality food as I consider it an investment and 'you can't buy good health.' We have theme nights, like soup night, ethnic meal night, dinner-for-breakfast nights, etc to keep costs down and keep it exciting and varied. We also cut down on meats and have more produce and vegetarian meals.

We cut down a lot on other expenses to afford necessities like food, like our utilities and entertainment. For example, we have a thermostat timer which cuts down on cost and we use drying racks to dry our clothes. We live frugally and do the normal stuff, like cloth diapers for the baby, use natural cleaners like baking soda, and that sort of thing.

It's nice to save money and we certainly try to do what we can, but we put our health first. Just wanted to give you a different perspective - we're frugal, but more so health-conscious. :)

Edited: BTW my dh told me how 3 of his coworkers in their 40s died of heart attacks in Texas where he works (and he's only been there about 2 months) and these guys were not at all health-conscious. :( The cost of a healthy lifestyle is worth it to me....
I see lots of people post here and other boards that they make their own cleaners, but I never see the recipes. Do you mind sharing where you find them?

grlzmom
04-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I have just loved reading this thread and have gotten some really good ideas.

Our household is me, dh, and seven kiddos, dd15, dd13, dd10, dd8, dd3, dd2 and ds2.

We live in a rural area and Walmart is about it for shopping. My gas expenses are minimal for dh and I since he doesn't have much of a commute and I am SAHM, maybe 100 total a month.

Groceries on the other hand I am afraid to even mention how much I actually spend. We eat out about once a week (usually sit down, not fast food). Fresh produce/fruit and milk are our big ticket grocery items. Easily about a hundred a week between the two (two gallons of regular milk per day plus one daughter on lactose free milk). Constantly going through bananas, apples, oranges, grapes and strawberries and lettuce. The girls are in lots of sports and constantly snacking on the go. No canned or frozen veggies and this I think is what makes our grocery bill high, fresh veggies definately cost more. Soon the twins will be out of diapers but that is also still a budget buster. And, I tend to cave in to the impulse buys in Walmart, whatever new and cute is sitting in the main aisle to distract me. We don't do alot of prepackaged food and snacks. I cook ahead and makes lots of freezer meals (love my foodsaver). During the summer we mainly grill out by the pool and this is easy, fast and the kids love it. I do buy bottled water and gatorade for the girls for their track meets and cheer competitions. No alcohol here, but we do have two cats, one of whom is on a special diet ugh.

I am inspired by this thread though to really track what I am spending and see where I can save. I think if I really try I can easily save more than a hundred a month on my budget :goodvibes

blanq
04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
This has been a really interesting thread to read. I note that if you live in/near certain major metro areas, it appears that things cost more.

Our gas costs: $140/mo (1 SUV and 1 mid-size car). Note both DH and I work within 2 miles of our home, which really helps. We generally fill up once every other week.

Our food costs: $500/mo. We are a family of three and these costs include about $50 for my DS's hot lunches/milk at school, and also include paper products. It does not, however, include the costs of eating out.

wright1baby
04-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Our family consists of Me, DH, DS9, DS7, DD5, and My father. We spend aprox. $180 on gas (but rising way too rapidly!!). 1 minivan, 1 compact. I clean houses while the kiddos are in school (1 a day) and DH works about 30 miles from home--he drives the compact. Groceries...It hurt to figure this out! I would guess it would be about $160 weekly. This includes bottled water and lots of fresh fruit. We have recently removed all convenience foods and snacks from the house and have noticed a huge difference in the activity level of the kids. Of course it could be the nice weather lately OR the fact that the boys are both grounded from PS2!! LOL
I used to be queen of the pantry! No one got any thing out unless I said so! Too much junk in there. Now the kids can get an apple, orange, banana, grapes, or their favorite string cheese, any time they want! They love the freedom it gives them and I love that they are eating better!

THE HAT
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
ok let's see...

gas for dh, who has a 3/4 ton 2500 dodge pu, with the license plate of gzl gzlr (sooo fitting), spends around 250.00 a month now.
during his busy season, (his reg job is 25 min each way(a buyer for a maine based lumber yard) and he does dock installation and finish work along with a few other odds and ends.) it is up to 500.00 (he is all over the state and has to use the truck for what he does)

gas for me in my grand prix is around 75.00 a month. i am a sahm of ds 8, but haven't figured out the sah part of it.

groceries for the month including pet food, for 2 fat cats and a 100.lb lab and all of our paper goods, and cleaning supplies runs around 800.00. i pack hubby a lunch every day, and ds lunchs cost 7.50 a week at school.

eating out is around 100.00 a month. (except for when dh grabs supper on the road which adds another 30.00 a month (busy season)

i keep trying to cut back the food bill, but fresh fruits and veggies are so expensive around here, as maine only has a short growing season. i do tend to have issues with impulse buys. :guilty: if dh picks up the groceries he just gets what is on the list....only prob is if it says apples, he gets just that 2 apples. (so that lasts a day, and then i am in the store getting all he "missed and more")

i keep saying to myself "don't buy that nope don't need that gotta save for wdw!!"
though i do have a problem listening to that when a cute pair of shoes is on sale. :rolleyes:

wow looking at the numbers in front of you is really scary :scared1: these are just the numbers for reg. weeks not including b-days or anniverarys etc etc. unreal!!

Aidensmom
04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
groceries $200.00 per month including food,hba,laundry and cleaning. we have me,dh,ds19,dd6. dh,and ds take their lunches to work and dd takes lunch to school. We make breakast and dinner every night, eat out maybe once a month. I am a big couponer. When something is free after coupon I take it. The key to couponing is to stock up when you find a good sale.Yesterday I got 20 bottles of softsoap body wash for free, 10 suave hair gel for .25 each, 10 suave hairspray for .25, 10 aquafresh toothpaste for .29 each.Of course one problem to couponing is finding a place to keep everything. Our biggest expense of the $200 is meat we are all big meat eaters.

Wow!!! I definately need your advice on the grocery cost! I though I was good at it - use coupons, shop at the store that has on sale what I need, stock up on good buys - but I never have gotten deals like that. Can you give a little more detail on how you do that?

bigmerle1966
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM

You sound like me. I do the same thing with coupons. I only buy toiletries with coupons and most times get stuff for less than $.50 each.

bigmerle1966
04-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Wow!!! I definately need your advice on the grocery cost! I though I was good at it - use coupons, shop at the store that has on sale what I need, stock up on good buys - but I never have gotten deals like that. Can you give a little more detail on how you do that?

I get the same kind of deals as well. For me it is the fact that the grocery store I do my main shopping at doubles coupons up to $1. So say they have toothpaste on sale for $2.50 and you have a $1 off coupon it is doubled and the toothpaste will cost $.50. Just recently they had peanut butter for $1.50 and I had $.55 off so I got it for $.40 a jar. I got 6 jars of it, 2 of which we are bringing to Disney in June and the others I will share with my sister and a friend. I tend to buy a lot of toiletries when I can get them for little or nothing and at holiday times I will give stuff away to charity. At that time my office has a charity drive for pet supplies and I usually get cat food for $.10 to $.25 a can to give to that.

Mermaid02
04-06-2005, 06:16 AM
We spend about $240 per month on gas (my minivan and dh's truck) and groceries is about $650 (me 37, dh 37, dd 15 and ds 8) I was thinking how obscene that is and I'm going to try doing the shopping at SuperWalmart for a month and see if I save. My girlfriend swears she saves $30 or $40 a week shopping there.

cra-z-4-dizney
04-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Sheesh. I gotta get an economy car and start eating ramen noodles!

Me too!!!!!!! UGH I have got to find a way to save more money!!!! This is getting ridiculous. After reading all the other posts with familires of 5 (which I am) and they only spend like500.00 a month on food. I easily spend 800.00-900.00 a month....I am going to do a spread sheet and see what I can come up with. I know for starters I gotta cut out the junk food...no good for me or the kids. :sunny:

Jamesbyr
04-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Two kids (16 & 21), that makes four of us. Groceries $750 a month, including takeout once a week. Another $80 a month for real restaurants, and about $15 for cat food. Can't have her nibbling on our toes while we sleep.

No gas (this is Manhattan!) but about $100 a month for the subway.

grlpwrd
04-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I see lots of people post here and other boards that they make their own cleaners, but I never see the recipes. Do you mind sharing where you find them?

I usually refer to my book collection on natural cleaners, but online there's recipes at

www.creativehomemaking.com/cleaning.shtml
www.organizedhome.com/content-8.html

and the most comprehensive so far : http://www.recipegoldmine.com/house/house.html

HTH :wizard:

bengalbelle
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I usually refer to my book collection on natural cleaners, but online there's recipes at

www.creativehomemaking.com/cleaning.shtml
www.organizedhome.com/content-8.html

and the most comprehensive so far : http://www.recipegoldmine.com/house/house.html

HTH :wizard:

4fordisney
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
We spend about $40 a month on gas and that is mostly for going to church. We work 2 days a week in our church's food pantry and then we go to Wednesday evening prayer service and Sunday worship. My dh works just a couple of blocks from home and many times he walks.

We spend $400 a month on groceries and that includes pet food, toiletries, and eating out. We buy a lot of our produce at Aldi. I would love to find better quality produce, but we live in a rural area in IL and can only find a farmer's market in the summertime. Our Wal-Mart is not yet a supercenter so most of our groceries come from Aldi and some things a local grocery store (their produce is poor quality and high priced!). Not very many options around here.

leahannpen
04-07-2005, 10:21 AM
If you were to ask my three year old he would tell you that dinnier is "yucky" Kind of gets you down after awhile!

I'm having that same problem. It sure gets to me after a while. He seems to not like anything I cook. He'd be happy with a PB&J, Pancakes or Cinnamon Life every night. I am going out this week and buying a large griddle to make a huge batch of pancakes from scratch as I'm sick of buying the frozen kind.

What does everyone spend on their ground meat? I mean...what's a good deal? I've always wondered.

I've been reading up on freezer cooking. I'd like to stock up on that kind of thing for when I'm off on matenity leave. Times will be tough for us for a good year, as we will have 2 in full time day care and 1 in diapers with formula. Ugh. I'm loosing sleep over this.

We spend about $400 right now a month on groceries...though sometimes less. Including all paper products and bath items...paper and plastic etc... I've actually gotten that down a bit. I'm getting better at coupons and such. Much better. Makes me feel good. I got my first "free" item using a sale and coupon the other day. I was so proud! LOL!

The fresh fruit and milk hurts though, cause then I have to go back once a week..and then more things wind up in the cart. You know how that goes. :sad2: But we need fresh fruit/veggies and milk. So what can you do? :confused3

For the person asking about home-made cleaning products:
Always buy white vinegar. The smell does go away on any hard surface in less than ten minutes.

All-Purpose Cleaner: You'll need a large spray bottle, a half
cup of baking soda, and enough water to dissolve. To this,
slowly add a cup of vinegar (it will fizz like mad for a bit),
then top off with more water. Let this mixture sit overnight,
and then flip end over end to mix. Be prepared for more
fizzing. When fizzing ends, it's ready to use.

All-Purpose Cleaner that Cuts Grease: Use the same recipe as
above, but add a teaspoon of dish detergent. Organic detergent
was my one splurge. After all, you are spraying this into the
air.

Window Cleaner: Mix warm water, one cup of vinegar, and two
capfuls of ammonia. Be careful and try not to inhale too much.
This mixture should be kept away from children.

Toilet Cleaner: Pour two cups of baking soda into toilet bowl,
scrub the inside, and flush. Now, pour two cups of vinegar
into the toilet bowl, swish around the inside, and flush. Do
not do this if you have a clog, as you will quickly have a
reenactment of Old Faithful in the toilet. However, regular
application will keep your drains sparklingly clean.

Hope that helps.

I'm so bummed...I just called some local grocery stores and NONE of them EVER offer double coupon days. That just burns me! :guilty:

bengalbelle
04-07-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm having that same problem. It sure gets to me after a while. He seems to not like anything I cook. He'd be happy with a PB&J, Pancakes or Cinnamon Life every night. I am going out this week and buying a large griddle to make a huge batch of pancakes from scratch as I'm sick of buying the frozen kind.

What does everyone spend on their ground meat? I mean...what's a good deal? I've always wondered.

I've been reading up on freezer cooking. I'd like to stock up on that kind of thing for when I'm off on matenity leave. Times will be tough for us for a good year, as we will have 2 in full time day care and 1 in diapers with formula. Ugh. I'm loosing sleep over this.

We spend about $400 right now a month on groceries...though sometimes less. Including all paper products and bath items...paper and plastic etc... I've actually gotten that down a bit. I'm getting better at coupons and such. Much better. Makes me feel good. I got my first "free" item using a sale and coupon the other day. I was so proud! LOL!

The fresh fruit and milk hurts though, cause then I have to go back once a week..and then more things wind up in the cart. You know how that goes. :sad2: But we need fresh fruit/veggies and milk. So what can you do? :confused3

For the person asking about home-made cleaning products:
Always buy white vinegar. The smell does go away on any hard surface in less than ten minutes.

All-Purpose Cleaner: You'll need a large spray bottle, a half
cup of baking soda, and enough water to dissolve. To this,
slowly add a cup of vinegar (it will fizz like mad for a bit),
then top off with more water. Let this mixture sit overnight,
and then flip end over end to mix. Be prepared for more
fizzing. When fizzing ends, it's ready to use.

All-Purpose Cleaner that Cuts Grease: Use the same recipe as
above, but add a teaspoon of dish detergent. Organic detergent
was my one splurge. After all, you are spraying this into the
air.

Window Cleaner: Mix warm water, one cup of vinegar, and two
capfuls of ammonia. Be careful and try not to inhale too much.
This mixture should be kept away from children.

Toilet Cleaner: Pour two cups of baking soda into toilet bowl,
scrub the inside, and flush. Now, pour two cups of vinegar
into the toilet bowl, swish around the inside, and flush. Do
not do this if you have a clog, as you will quickly have a
reenactment of Old Faithful in the toilet. However, regular
application will keep your drains sparklingly clean.

Hope that helps.

I'm so bummed...I just called some local grocery stores and NONE of them EVER offer double coupon days. That just burns me! :guilty:
I'm the one who asked about the homemade cleaners, so thanks :flower: .

Are any of those disinfectants?

I don't know if I'm paying too much, too little, etc., but we buy ground round and it's $2.78/lb.

shirleyb
04-07-2005, 10:41 AM
No idea how much I spend on gas, but it's a lot! :guilty:

On food, including cleaning supplies and toiletries, less the $400 per month for my family of 5. I'm a fiend at trying to save money on groceries. Last night, I went to the store, and my total was $43, and I spent $6. How's that for savings?

Southern4sure
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I wished I could find a grocery store that double coupons.

Nicolepa
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm the one who asked about the homemade cleaners, so thanks :flower: .

Are any of those disinfectants?

I don't know if I'm paying too much, too little, etc., but we buy ground round and it's $2.78/lb.

The vinegar acts as a disinfectant.

disneymom3
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
The vinegar acts as a disinfectant.

You can also get tea tree oil to act as a disinfectant. It can be found at food co-op type stores. Makes me sneeze though so I stick with vinegar. For the window cleaner, you can also use just plain club soda. My kids love to wash the windows and this way I make sure they aren't in any danger and neither is the furniture since you actually can use club soda to get stains out! There is an amazing webpage on about.com about using vinegar and baking soda to clean and all kinds of other stuff. Really amazing!

I pay well over $3 per lb for 93% lean ground beef at the grocery store. Costco has 85% lean for $1.99 here.

We also have no stores that double coupons. Heck, we are hard pressed to find somewhere that will bag your groceries for you!

crazymomof4
04-07-2005, 07:54 PM
After reading some of the previous posts I realize that I must be more frugal than I thought.

For our family DH, 3 DS's (8, 13 and 16), DD4, three cats and myself I spend:

~$440/ month on groceries, pet supplies and toiletries.
~$65-$90/ month on gas (and I drive a Suburban!- 13 mi/gal)

I also shop at Aldi 2X per month, weekly shopping is at Shop Rite.
I really shop the sale flyer. Stock up on things when on sale...get enough to last until the next time the item goes on sale.
Combine sale items with coupons.
We bought the meat grinder attachment to the Kitchen Aid and I grind our beef. I buy london broil on sale at $1.89, trim it and grind it. Makes the most delicious burgers we've ever had- very lean too! Also buy boneless veal and pork on sale and make my own "Meatloaf mix" for less than what that sells for.
I make a huge variety of dinners using the boneless chicken breast. I only buy that when it's on sale for $1.99.
We don't eat out much. I've found that we are usually disappointed in the quality of the food anyway.
We don't drink much alcohol. Occasional beer or wine with dinner.

bengalbelle
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
After reading some of the previous posts I realize that I must be more frugal than I thought.

For our family DH, 3 DS's (8, 13 and 16), DD4, three cats and myself I spend:

~$440/ month on groceries, pet supplies and toiletries.
~$65-$90/ month on gas (and I drive a Suburban!- 13 mi/gal)

I also shop at Aldi 2X per month, weekly shopping is at Shop Rite.
I really shop the sale flyer. Stock up on things when on sale...get enough to last until the next time the item goes on sale.
Combine sale items with coupons.
We bought the meat grinder attachment to the Kitchen Aid and I grind our beef. I buy london broil on sale at $1.89, trim it and grind it. Makes the most delicious burgers we've ever had- very lean too! Also buy boneless veal and pork on sale and make my own "Meatloaf mix" for less than what that sells for.
I make a huge variety of dinners using the boneless chicken breast. I only buy that when it's on sale for $1.99.
We don't eat out much. I've found that we are usually disappointed in the quality of the food anyway.
We don't drink much alcohol. Occasional beer or wine with dinner.
Wow, I never thought about grinding my own meat. I'm going to have to try that.
Have you ever tried grinding chicken? I have a recipe that calls for ground chicken and I've never seen it anywhere.

marcyinPA
04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I just had this same discussion with a friend of mine recently! I spend about $60 a month on gas for my car (dh has a company van and they pay his gas thank goodness!) and about$300-$400 a month on food (I buy paper products and cleaning supplies at BJ's so I don't buy them every month). It is me, my dh, DS9 and DS6. We very very rarely eat out. Maybe 2x a month, if that.

crazymomof4
04-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Wow, I never thought about grinding my own meat. I'm going to have to try that.
Have you ever tried grinding chicken? I have a recipe that calls for ground chicken and I've never seen it anywhere.

So far I haven't had the need for ground chicken. But I'm sure it would be easy to do using the boneless breast.
I balked when my DH suggested getting the grinding attachment. I thought it would be a pain in the neck.....so much easier to just buy it already ground. Boy, I have eaten my words, literally! What a difference in the taste. Meatloafs, meatballs, lasagna, tacos, burgers, anything with our own ground meat tastes SO much better. And it is not as much work as I imagined. I just cut the meat in 1" strips and put it in the shoot it grinds it and spits it into a bowl. I do a fairy large amount and it only takes about 1/2 hr and that includes prep and clean up.
I would do it now even if it didn't save money!

skiwee1
04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
My van uses about $100 a month is gas. I don't work so there isn't any long commute or anything. I spend at least $1000 a month in food. That doesn't count the 6-8times we eat out a month. That alone is probably $500 and up for that. We spend way too much in food! LOL!

juliegirl
04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Around here, they often have sales on ground chicken $2/lb. Cheaper than the 93% lean ground beef at 4.29/ lb. I substitute it for ground beef in a lot of things, chili, spaghetti sauce, taco meat. Haven't tried it for meatballs or meatloaf, don't think I'd like it that way.

Gas here is $2.25 - monthly we spend about 180.

Groceries - $500 month, eating out is another $200

Pet food - $40/month for four dogs (they are small Chihuahuas)

mannasn
04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm so jealous of all you with the cheap gas budgets! Mine hovers around $400-600 a month! :sad2:

bigmerle1966
04-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm so jealous of all you with the cheap gas budgets! Mine hovers around $400-600 a month! :sad2:

My goodness what kind of commute do you have?

Ground turkey is good as well. Lots of times it is on sale for $1.99lb here. The reason home ground meat tastes so good is that it doesn't have much fat in it. My brother explained to me one time how they come up with that percentage thing and I can't remember exactly what he said but I do remember that he said that they add fat to the beef. It's not a part of the meat they grind, a certain percent is added. You could also use beef cubes too, sometimes stores have good sales on it and you wouldn't have to cut it up before you put it in the grinder.

mannasn
04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
150 miles a day, easily! Some days, even more. It REALLY stinks! :)

Doesn't help that my vehicle gets pathetic gas mileage - but then it has no payment (I actually won it in a sweepstakes!) so I guess my gas costs make up for that.

Add that to the fact that I have no job, and saving for Disney gets really tough! LOL! :)

wdwpluto
04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
We get away cheap with gas, only $45/month on average so far this year. That's for 1 car (2000 Corolla) and gas is still "cheap" $2.05/gallon here in NJ.

Groceries is another story. We've been averaging about $415/month so far this year for 2 adults! That includes papergoods, cleaning products, health and beauty stuff and the occasional alcohol purchase. This is definitely an area we're working on cutting, but we're finding that fresh produce, etc is working out to be just about as expensive as pre-packaged convenience foods! At least it's healthier!

skiwee1
04-08-2005, 10:55 AM

What are you driving? My DH has an H-2 and he only burns about $30 a week.

mannasn
04-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I drive a Jeep liberty. It's not that the fuel economy is THAT bad - it's just that I drive so many miles, every day... it really adds up! :(