PDA

View Full Version : Are gas prices or airfare going to affect your trip?

Minerva
04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm just wondering how many people may have to reconsider trips later in the year with the price of gas and airfare going up? I've seen some reports that say we may see almost $4 a gallon gas by the end of the year and I know from watching ticket prices that the airlines are raising prices. I went ahead and bought my tickets for Nov/Dec earlier last week because tickets that I'd started out budgeting at $600 were up to $1400 on some airlines and that would have prevented us from taking the trip. I've got extra in the budget but not that much. I got my tickets for $677 but had to fly out about 4 hours later than I'd wanted to do it but at least we're still going! I have a friend who is going about a month before us and they're seriously considering changing their plans and buying plane tickets now, while they know what the price is rather than driving and possibly spending a lot more money on gas than they'd planned.

patsal
04-04-2005, 09:11 AM
For flying to overtake driving in savings we'd have to go up to $5.00 per gallon. I can't do vacation without a rental car though so that is part of the total--Driving usually costs me around $200.00 in gas round trip I'm planning double, even that would only add up to two plane tickets and I'd need four as well as rental car for two weeks. While I am clearly unhappy with gas prices and am even second guessing some smaller road trips I had hoped to do over the summer and the ones I had hoped to do last week, I will not be cancelling my big summer vacation.
I know I have had to divert other budget money to gas money just for driving back and forth to work and I simply don't know how many people with lower incomes can continue to pay for the increased price of gas.

deltachi8
04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I moved our trip up from August to April for a couple of reasons - and expected higher air fares was one of them.

Anthony1971
04-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I got the cheapest air fare I have ever paid to orlando????? :cool1:
it has gone up sonce I booked less then 2 weeks ago for a September trip but only 20 a RT ticket which would still be right there with the lowest fare I paid :earseek:

OzFan
04-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Southwest out of Midway to Orlando for the month of May is $51 each way. I had already booked my flight ($79) when the price dropped. I was able to get a "credit towards future flights. I would just keep watching those airfares. If people aren't traveling, companies aren't making any money. Supply and Demand! :flower:

DisneyAddict_M
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
I was thinking of driving down instead of flying, but it would actually be a lot cheaper to fly...even with the fuel prices going up.

MinnieMe2
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I booked flights for DH and I and DS and his girlfriend for July with Song. We're paying $160 each, and I'm happy with that. We usually drive down, but with gas prices, hotels for approximately 5 nights, and food, it's cheaper to fly. Our car rental is $138 for nine days, and I think we're going to be saving some money going this route.......

Hillbeans
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, originally we were supposed to drive from NJ-Orlando however i'll be close to 7 months pregnant and really wanted to fly instead of being in the car for 20 hours.

The flights out of Newark are outrageous, so we're driving to laGuardia airport and we're saving $400 on our tickets...from $ 988 to $ 547 for 3 round trip tickets.

That's not too bad for 3 round trip tickets, however the airfare out of Newark would most definitely make me reconsider driving to save some of that money. I bought the tickets today just in case they start creeping up in price.

speedyf
04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Well...the gas prices along with the $39 each way fare from SWA changed our plans for the better.

We were looking at driving down to Orlando at about $200 round trip in gas (based on $2.25 per gallon), a hotel room half-way going and half-way coming back for $100 total, and fast-food along the trip budgeted at about $80 for a total of $380.

We are traveling at 3 adults and 1 child (5 years old). The cheap SWA fares put us at $97 per ticket round trip (after taxes). That's a total of $388 to fly.

With Magic Express being free in June....we will definitely come out ahead....plus we were able to fly in early (arrive Orlando at 9:45am) and leave late (depart Orlando at 9:30pm)...so, that basically added 2 extra "half-days" of visiting the parks.

Also...I'm happy about saving the 24 hours of driving round trip and listening to 23 hours of "Are we there yet?"....that's worth the extra $8, don't you think? :)

speed

Minerva
04-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Patsal, I don't know how some people are going to make it with prices going up the way they have either. I know I've cut down on my trips around town. If we forget something at the store we just have to wait until the next time we're at the store to get it, no special trips. Now that the weather is fairly nice again the kids are walking to school again too which helps because there are days that my car never has to leave the driveway. I can still afford the gas if I *have to leave but I'd like to keep it that way. LOL

Deltachi8, you'll have better weather in April too! That's always a plus. Have a great trip!

OzFan, I fly out of Chicago too and much prefer Midway to O'Hare but I'll be dealing with O'Hare this time. Since we're flying the weekend of Thanksgiving one way there was no way I would have gotten your $51 tickets. That's a great deal!

I'm glad everyone else is managing to save some money by getting your plane tickets now. I worry about the people who will wait until 2 or 3 weeks before their trip thinking they'll get cheaper air fare then. I'm afraid as the year goes on that just might not be the case.

DisneyAddict_M
04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I just checked both Delta Song and JetBlue. Airfare actually went down about $40 per ticket since the last time I checked the sites a few weeks ago (Boston to Orlando).

StephaBabe50
04-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I got "dinged" by SWA and we are flying from Manchester, NH to Orlando for $125.00 per person with all taxes. Can't beat that!!!!!! I have never flown to Orlando that cheap.

:banana: :earsboy: :banana:

tinan
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Since gas prices keep going up and I really wasn't looking forward to a 20+ hour drive, we decided to fly down the day after Thanksgiving. I bought our plane tickets a couple months ago and have watched the airfare climb another $40/person since then. While we didn't get an awesome deal on the airfare, I am happy that I bought our tickets when I did. With 4 people that would have been another $160 and that may have been enough for dh to say he wants to drive. We will also be using the Magical Express so no need for a rental car.

ksoehrlein
04-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Well...the gas prices along with the $39 each way fare from SWA changed our plans for the better.

Me too. I had planned to drive DD and myself, but was scared about falling asleep on the drive home after a busy vacation. Then I found out about SWA's $39 special and booked it. As I watch gas prices climb, I feel even better about the decision. It's usually 2 tanks to get there and 2 tanks to get back. As I get closer to $40 fill-ups, the difference in price between flying and driving is only the taxes and fees. Small price to pay for peace of mind, not worrying about falling asleep behind the wheel. Of course, due to the flight schedule, we ended up having to check in a day earlier than planned, but since I got a postcard rate and was able to apply it to the additional day, it's still worth it!

DisneyAddict_M
04-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I got "dinged" by SWA and we are flying from Manchester, NH to Orlando for $125.00 per person with all taxes. Can't beat that!!!!!! I have never flown to Orlando that cheap.

That's really good. I flew JetBlue from Boston to Orlando for $125 last year. I don't think I'd find that fare again, lol. I would much rather fly out of Manchester, but I don't think I could fly that long on SWA with a 4 year old. At least the TVs on JetBlue and Delta Song keep her occupied. :cool1:

snowiit
04-04-2005, 03:04 PM

I have never flown as cheaply to Orlando either. I got "dinged" two days ago by SWA also. The total for 3 people, round trip on SWA was $313.80 for us! Amazing! That's about $105 per person rounded up! :cheer2:
This was for August!
Nancy

cobbler
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I wish I could find good deals for airfare. Of course my trip isn't a while yet but geeze, seems I have to drive 3 hours either to Detroit or Chicago to get out at a decent price. Then you put in long term parking, almost not worth it.

I know that our gas prices hit an all time high today. 2.43 for the cheapest and that sure will cut down my driving time this summer by a long shot.

Want to slow the economy, jack those prices up another .25-.50 and it will slow it down big time. Esp here.

SlightlyGoofy
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Gas is a very small part of our budget. Even if gas were to get to $4 a gallon (BTW, I am 56 and have been hearing such rumors since the 1970's) it would still only be about $250 for the entire trip. We like having our own car and actually enjoy the drive down (not so much back).

The lack of a good code for the room, increased ticket prices and food would give me pause though.

Slightly Goofy

Chris
04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I booked flights for DH and I and DS and his girlfriend for July with Song. We're paying $160 each, and I'm happy with that. We usually drive down, but with gas prices, hotels for approximately 5 nights, and food, it's cheaper to fly. Our car rental is $138 for nine days, and I think we're going to be saving some money going this route.......That is AWESOME! I was looking the other day, we are driving but I was just checkign it out. I checked 4 airlines and the CHEAPEST I got RT for the 7 of us was 2480.00! ACK.

LisaNJ25
04-05-2005, 11:18 PM
I've seen some reports that say we may see almost $4 a gallon gas by the end of the year and I know from watching ticket prices that the airlines are raising prices. I.

Holy Crap!!! :headache: Soon people will not be able to afford to drive to work.

My van hold 25 gallons.. so $100 to fill my tank... hmm the kids will have to start walking the 2 miles to school .

newholidayx2
04-06-2005, 07:27 AM
nope
we're going camping in Maine July 4th wknd
NH beaches end of July and
WDW last 2wks of August
nothing is changing