PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting tickets for free from the timeshare people?

FSUMARCHIEF
04-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi. We already have a reservation with one of these time share folks to take the tour and get the free ticket. Anybody else done this? Is it worth going to a couple of them to geth the tickets for free? If so, who should we call? Which ones are reputable? Thanks for any help!

God bless!
Mark

FreeTime
04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I don't think that it is worth it. You may find that you are on the timeshare tour all day and it is very high pressure to buy. We want on one at Daytona and we were shopping for a time share. It took 8 hours out of our vacation of high pressure just to get a free dinner. Once they heard that we had toured DVC they wanted to know why we were even looking at their resort! :rotfl2:

SnowyPrincesses:)
04-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi there! I haven't done the timeshare tickets because apparently they are really high pressure and when you are on Vacation I know I want as little pressure as possible. Now I have heard that the DVC tours are fun, only a couple of hours and you get I think 3 Q& C vouchers from them. I'm interested in doing this tour because apparently there's no hard sell and really I'd love to tour the resorts anyway.
Can anyone else confirm this? The last I heard the tours were of Saratoga Springs.

kandeebunny
04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
We aren't allowed to to the tours because my mom is a real estate agent so they automatically deny us. I have also heard they are very high pressure though.

FSUMARCHIEF
04-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Here's what I figure though - I know how to say No. We'r egoing to this one in Myrtle Beach without any desire - or affordability of purchasing a time share. I filled out one of those contest in the mall a few months ago of winning a trip to Disney or something like that - that's how they got our information. They called yesterday. All we have to do, supposedly, is take a 90-120 minute tour of the place up there. We get to stay 2 nights for $39 at a nice resort (not the one we're touring), plus we get another 2 night trip somewhere else - AND - a 4 night stay in orlando with 2 free park tickets (1 day, 1 park) just for going. We're going to Myrtle Beach for the express purpose of seeing the tour so we can get our free stuff. We don't have any other reasons for going, other than to just get away.

I know they are high pressure sales, but here's what I'm thinking. Eventually, after the 120 minutes, and I will keep tabs on my watch, they will get tired of me saying no. (I Hope!)

Thanks for the info folks!
Mark

Deb & Bill
04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
We did the Hilton Grand Vacation Club tour and got two adult tickets to Seaworld. We are DVC members and we just wanted to see what HGVC had to offer. Friends of ours own at HGVC and they spoke highly of it. When we figured out that we weren't interested in buying, we told them so and we left with our Seaworld tickets.

floridahippy
04-02-2005, 02:38 PM
You are so lucky being able to say no - I find it very hard to say no where holidays are concerned!!
Personally I wouldnt do the tours for the tickets but only because I know myself!!!

Cheshire Figment
04-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I would do the arithmatic before you make a decision. Figure out the total costs of the trip without the time share incentives and then the cost with the incentives and the actual price difference. Then figure the number of hours from when you will leave home until you return. Subtract your expected sleeping time from that to get net hours. Divide the total cost by the net hours, to get an hourly cost for your vacation.

Then figure the time out from your vacation for the time share promo. This includes travel both ways from where you are staying or the park you will be at, at least a half hour before they are ready for you, and the maximum time they say the promo will take and add about another 3/4 hour for good measure. Multiply this figure by the hourly cost of your vacation and compare it to the difference in cost between what the vacation will cost with or without the presentation.

Note if they give you one-day, one-park tickets they may not be upgradeable. Anyway, compare the effective cost to you for the promo with the money you will save. I would bet unless it is something very unusual you are better off not doing th presentation.

A few years ago I did have one very worthwhile offer, Hilton offered me a three night stay at the Hilton at WDW Village for $99.00 total including taxes plus gave us each a one day Universal ticket. Since we had our APs and came down for a holiday weekend, we stayed at the airport late Thursday night, checked in early Friday morning and left late Monday. Our hourly cost would have been about $21 per hour but we saved almost $400 in the room and Universal tickets for about three hours time, so it was worth it.

Vivianne
04-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I know some people actually can handle this with no problem so I'm not going to discourage you. If you're interested enough then you should try it at least once. :confused3

Personally, it was not worth it for me. We got tickets to Seaworld after listening to Embassy suites high pressure pitch. The family next to us were getting the third degree because they had shown signs of giving in. After we walked out, I felt we had wasted valuable time from our vacation. We won't be doing that again. :earseek:

FSUMARCHIEF
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
The other part that seems advantageous to me is that we don't have the slightest interest in a time share. The only time share we're interested in is DVC - btu that's years down the road. I'm a United Methodist Minister, and you just don't make much on a preacher's salary. So it won't matter how much pressure they put on. The only reason we're going is cause they're offering this trip to Orlando!

God bless!
Mark

toesmom
04-02-2005, 05:01 PM
The only reason i wouldn't do it now is because of my 2 young children, but actually bringing 2 young kids would get me out of there faster LOL. For sure, if I had time and my dh would do it too, then I would get the free hotels and tickets.

Just make sure they tell you how long the presentation is and when it is supposed to be done, tell them that you made dinner reservations or a hair appointment or something.

Definitely yes.

juliegirl
04-02-2005, 05:21 PM
:sad2:

After our 90-120 min presentation, we had to wait 45 mins for everyone else to finish so the "complimentary" shuttle van back to the hotel was full.

I would not bring a small child, and I would not do it unless I had my own transportation. And, having done it once, I would not do it again.

I think we got $50 Disney Dollars for sitting through Vistana.

mum4jenn
04-02-2005, 05:56 PM
We have done the time share thing a few times. It is pretty easy to say no!! One we went on though was very high pressure and every time we said no they would send another person to try to pressure us. I do not remember the company. Last year we went on one and stayed in a condo in Kissimmee for a week at Easter and it only cost us something like 150$ for the whole week. These guys were not very high pressure but they did let us know at the beginning that if they went beyond the alloted time we could pull out if we were not interested. My husband actually wrote the time down that it started. It was supposed to last 90 minutes and it basically did. We had a few questions for him at the end and we really were interested and it was actually affordable. We did go over on time by about 15 minutes but that was our fault. The best way to play this is to really bw wowed by all this and seem pretty interested and then who ever is in charge of getting the bills paid can put the brakes on. In our case it was me!! I told the guy that I was very impressed but that we have had some unexpected medical bills that we were commited to first.

If you are getting some really good stuff(and it sounds like it) then it is worrth it. Take the earliest time (usually 7 am) and you will be done in a couple of hours.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE GOOD STUFF IN WRITING AND CHECK OUT THE RULES TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THEM!!!

MrsPete
04-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't do a time share presentation just for tickets -- I'd expect much more!

Tiffa
04-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi we just went to Mrytle Beach in Feb. for the marathon there, so my husband thought the same thing lets go do a timeshare thing they said sure we'll give ya 2 nights in Disney we said no we already have a vacation planned there this year so of course they said ok how about a $100 gift cert to BASS PRO - yup they had my DH hook line and stinker! we went to Blue Green vacations they are VERY high pressure and completly expected a check by the end of their speil, they took alot of info from us but we were not allowed to take any piece of paper out of that place, after 90 minutes we just said no way they didnt even make us take the tour this was 90 minutes into it - we did get our gift certificate but I would NEVER do it again

seashoreCM
04-03-2005, 12:08 AM
The Disney tickets you get from a time share presentation could be worth as little as three dollars apiece depending on what other additional new tickets you could have or would have or needed to have bought to finish your vacation with.

Examples:

You were planning six days in the theme parks. A new 6 day pass costs $209. Suppose you get a two day pass as a time share gift. If you then bought a 4 day pass you would spend $197. or twelve dollars less.

But if you were planning just two days in the theme parks, a two day pass purchased new costs $128. and sitting through that time share presentation could well be worthwhile.

Also note that some time share gift tickets may expire, perhaps a month after you get it, perhaps a year after you get it even if you don't use it at all. This is unpredictable, it depends on what timeshare outfit gave them out and when the tickets were manufactured. Expiration would severely limit your ability to save them for their optimium usage, during a short trip when you don't need to buy additional tickets.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/dispass.htm

pumba2005
04-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Can someone list all the timeshares and whatthey are offering you to do thier presentations?

No means no so no matter what, they can't get blood from stone to get you to sign up!

Thanks

shame711
04-03-2005, 08:00 AM
I have done these tours in the past and here is what you want to look for. You should get at least two theme park ticket, $100 cash, or the equivalent. In Florida the law is quite clear that if they tell you 90 minutes that the “presentation” can only be 90 minutes. However, as stated earlier you may find yourself waiting for a shuttle or something.

Is it worth it? That’s a personal question only you can answer. When we were younger and money was a little more tight we thought it was, but now we are not sure.

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY, from them. Trust me I own a Timeshare at Vistana and it was the best thing our family ever did, but never buy from the developer. No matter what they say or offer you just tell them no. If you think that a timeshare may be for you, go home and do some research. You can buy a timeshare on the resale market for a fraction of what you pay the developers. A good place to start is www.tug2.net.

HayGan
04-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Can someone list all the timeshares and whatthey are offering you to do thier presentations?

No means no so no matter what, they can't get blood from stone to get you to sign up!

Thanks

Well I can't help you with all the timeshares but we are staying at the Hilton DTD for $33 a night in December for doing a 2 hour tour. We are doing the tour at 10:30 the morning after our first night at MVMCP. This is one of our relaxing days so we can wake up a little bit late, do the tour, go to lunch and swim in the afternoon. We will be taking our 2 little ones with us so by 12:30 they should be plenty hungry and bored that no one in their right mind would keep us past the 2 hours. :rolleyes1

I should mention that we have absolutely NO interest in buying a timeshare.
A friend of mine at work bought into Hilton for $23K :earseek: She likes it but knows that she really overpaid and has offered me her shares for half what she paid if I really like it.

jenr812
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
We did 2 timeshare presentations while in Myrtle BEach last year and it was worth it to us. Just gotta say NO!!!

jenr812
04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I have done these tours in the past and here is what you want to look for. You should get at least two theme park ticket, $100 cash, or the equivalent. In Florida the law is quite clear that if they tell you 90 minutes that the “presentation” can only be 90 minutes. However, as stated earlier you may find yourself waiting for a shuttle or something.

Is it worth it? That’s a personal question only you can answer. When we were younger and money was a little more tight we thought it was, but now we are not sure.

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY, from them. Trust me I own a Timeshare at Vistana and it was the best thing our family ever did, but never buy from the developer. No matter what they say or offer you just tell them no. If you think that a timeshare may be for you, go home and do some research. You can but a timeshare on the resale market for a fraction of what you pay the developers. A good place to start is www.tug2.net.

Thanks for the info :flower:

tinan
04-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Just watch with bringing young ones to these timeshare presentations. Almost always they have a seperate area in which they want the children to wait without being able to see them. That way the children aren't there nagging you and you aren't being distracted. Unless you leave your children in the children's area, you will not be able to take the tour nor receive your free whatever. There are several years between my brother and I. When he was maybe 6 and I was not on vacation with them, my parents decided to take one of these tours in VA beach. Well my brother remembers being left in that room for what seemed like days to him. He's 22 now and still tells my parents that he was tramatized from that one event. :confused3

mum4jenn
04-04-2005, 04:16 AM
We have always taken our daughter with us. They try to get us to leave her in the play room they have but we always tewll them that she must come with us. She is now 7 so she was six when we went on our last time share and probably 4 or 5 when we did the first one. We just explain that there is no way we are leaving her with strangers and they always abide by our wishes. Of course she is really a pretty quiet and reserved child and knows how we expect her to behave in public. We have taken her everwhere with us including restaurants from the time she was a week old.

CheapMom
04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Mum4Jen- I would do it. Since you will be going to Myrtle Beach to take your mandatory tour - it won't eat into your Disney vacation time. Are the park tickets Disney?

I have done these things 4 times now (never in Florida)- I have never been even remotely tempted to purchase. But we have gotten some good stuff.

I would never do it during my Disney vacation- I can't imagine wasting the better part of a day of my vacation fending off high pressure sales persons. Not worth it.

Wahorn
04-04-2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks

I'm heading down on April 23 and will be doing a timeshare presentation at Summer Bay Resort for an awesome deal on tickets:
2 adult 5 day basic tickets (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and MGM) for $109 each.
Also getting a discounted 5 day child ticket for $150.
TOTAL: $368

I found the deal off of ebay. The current deal they're offering is 2 4-day adult tickets for $249:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16071&item=6522007418&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Marseeya
04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd say a day's worth of tickets isn't worth it. My sister and her hubby went to a timeshare presentation for 90 minutes (Ramada? Radisson? Something with an R) and they ended up getting several days' hotel stay, plus 3-day tickets. They made a nice little vacation around that.

Grand2me
04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh my...DON'T DO IT( :earseek: )! We did one on our trip last year. I really wish that I would have known about that little Florida law about the 90 minutes. The guy took us on a tour of the property, to lunch and was really a nice guy. His co-workers were the ones who got their heads bitten off. We told the first guy no. Then we told the second guy no. Then the MANAGER rolls up and we tell him No. So then the manager tells us that we can go and get our "little tickets" like we wasted his time :badpc: . I was pretty annoyed by this time, as was my husband. So we go up to the front for "survey" and ANOTHER guy is trying to sell us a Timeshare. I told the guy "If we JUST told your other friends NO, what exactly makes you think that I am going to tell YOU yes?" He told us that we weren't allowed to take anything out and walked away. I tracked him down and asked him how we were supposed to get back to our car(HUGE HUGE MISTAKE!!! Don't EVER get into somebody else's car when you have no idea where you are going). He told us that we had to walk. Oh my...oh my :sad2: this was a bad move. It was not pretty... :sad2: at all :sad2: . I walked up to the first guy who was sitting with the manager and some of his co-workers and UNLEASHED the fury(lol) on them. It's funny now but I was LIVID then. Needless to say they brought us back to our car but there were loads of people walking back. DON'T DO IT!!! It is probably a better bet to just spend the money and buy the tickets. We didn't know what we were getting into. We will never do it again.

amwhitaker
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
:scared1: :headache:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never do another one! Had a horrible experience. I looked away from the presenter for a moment and he said to my husband "I'll continue when your wife can pay attention". That just did it for me! I wanted to strangle the guy. It's not worth it to me.

pearlieq
04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
The other thing I would watch out for is that a lot of those "free" trips have either very limited dates, upcharges for more preferrable dates, or a "booking fee" in order to take part.

Make sure free is free.

We've only done this twice--once for DVC (we didn't get anything, and it was a pretty short, boring tour) and once in Vegas for Mariott. In Vegas we had a good sales rep who didn't apply much pressure. Still, I was so stressed and defensive walking in that it wasn't that pleasant. We got a (bad!) dinner and show tickets out of it, but it was questionable whether it was worth it or not, and we had a pretty good experience as timeshares go!

ROCK1472
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Guys;

This is the Rock; I'm a DVC member . I have recommended this to everyone . The amount of 50 years worth of vacationing ( for a lot less) .It is equal to 3 trips to Disney, you can pass it to your friends & family to use (during the 50 years ). Also ,you could choose when, where ,& when you want to go (not just Disney,but anywhere) . Ask for Humberto Santos (Senior DVC manager) in Saratoga Springs for info .Tell him that H.S. in NYC referred you . He will take care of you .
Have fun..........................

LMC
04-04-2005, 02:06 PM
OMGAAAWWWDDD!!! Sounds like our nightmare! It was with a place called W*stg*te. It was our first and LAST timeshare presentation EVER!
It was alot more than 90 minutes of our time from the time we walked in til we left. I guess they don't count the time you wait and serve an awful b'fast nor the time they insult you at the end when you tell them you are not buying. I guess we had a 90 min tour/presentation and a couple more hours of torture. I am not joking we got there at 7 am and left at 10:30 (with two small kids in tow). I don't like to say never but we will NEVER do this again. Then when it was time to leave the point you to a door and you are left to your own devices. We just assumed we were near where we parked, WHOA, were we wrong. That place is HUGE. We had to walk forever to find our car and weren't even sure we were going the right direction.

Don't let the "sales person" who talks people into going convince you to do it. They make it sound like a breeze and make a killing while you have just wasted hours and for what??? Not much.

Oh my...DON'T DO IT( :earseek: )! We did one on our trip last year. I really wish that I would have known about that little Florida law about the 90 minutes. The guy took us on a tour of the property, to lunch and was really a nice guy. His co-workers were the ones who got their heads bitten off. We told the first guy no. Then we told the second guy no. Then the MANAGER rolls up and we tell him No. So then the manager tells us that we can go and get our "little tickets" like we wasted his time :badpc: . I was pretty annoyed by this time, as was my husband. So we go up to the front for "survey" and ANOTHER guy is trying to sell us a Timeshare. I told the guy "If we JUST told your other friends NO, what exactly makes you think that I am going to tell YOU yes?" He told us that we weren't allowed to take anything out and walked away. I tracked him down and asked him how we were supposed to get back to our car(HUGE HUGE MISTAKE!!! Don't EVER get into somebody else's car when you have no idea where you are going). He told us that we had to walk. Oh my...oh my :sad2: this was a bad move. It was not pretty... :sad2: at all :sad2: . I walked up to the first guy who was sitting with the manager and some of his co-workers and UNLEASHED the fury(lol) on them. It's funny now but I was LIVID then. Needless to say they brought us back to our car but there were loads of people walking back. DON'T DO IT!!! It is probably a better bet to just spend the money and buy the tickets. We didn't know what we were getting into. We will never do it again.

swilshire
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
The only reason i wouldn't do it now is because of my 2 young children, but actually bringing 2 young kids would get me out of there faster LOL.

A dirty diaper got us out of one of these pretty quickly a few years ago LOL!

We have been timeshare owners for a decade or so. Almost every place we stay offers some sort of incentive for a meeting with them. If we have a very busy vacation planned, we skip it. If we have a week with a lot of free time, sometimes we go.

Just yesterday we got $50 cash for about half an hour in Williamsburg VA. We were waiting for Busch Gardens to open for a quick visit before heading home (after a weekend of cold and rain) so we weren't delayed by much.

Our 6yo was looking through the window into the kid's room just itching to be in there before we sent him in. They had snacks, video games, and movies. He was very sorry that we were out of there so quickly.

Be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you can say NO and mean it before signing up for one of these deals. Some of the salesmen could sell anything and leave you wondering what you were thinking when you get home later.

If you have the time, go for it. If your vacation time is worth more than the incentives offered, I'd say enjoy your vacation and find the money some other way.

Sheila

P.S. Someone mentioned Westgate above. They have the WORST reputation in the industry and I would never go on one of their tours again. We did go to one in Gatlinburg and they were quite rude to us. Even had an argument with them before we got started because they recruited us at a local event near my home, then were upset that we weren't staying in a hotel. Apparently their headhunter made an error and it took a bit of an argument during which an employee grabbed our paperwork out of my hand (just before I grabbed it back and ask to see her supervisor).

etwinchester
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
We did Westgate and some other one on our last trip (not DVC). We did get like $100 for each one, but I'd NEVER do them again. We went on a family trip (10 of us) and my grandmother paid for most of the rental house, food, etc... We still wanted extra spending money since the trip was only 6 months notice for us. Not enough to take the amount of money we really wanted to.

Anway, we did 2 timeshare visits. One without our daughter (age 3) and one with. Didn't matter if she was squirming or not, they wouldn't let up!

I easily said "NO" but they would keep bringing a different person in. We had to say "NO" to like 3-4 different people and it was rediculous. Took even more time for the next person to come to you.

Then, they'd keep lowering the price. Some people gave in because they would shout and make announcements when someone signed up. This also took additional time of being interrupted.

Anway, not my idea of a nice relaxing vacation and I'll save my own money up for tickets or extra spending money next time. NOT WORTH IT...in my opinion.

mum4jenn
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
We did the Summer Bay one last year. They were pretty nice. They sell LOTS of time shares everyday because they truly truly do have a great deal going. We were very tempted and we have no problem saying NO!! They were not at all high pressure. They will either let you walk to see the condos or you can ride. We chose to walk to see the grounds and then we were picked up in a shuttle to get us back to the front. You park at the area where they do the promo so you don't get stuck. We were not there for any tickets though just the great deal on staying there for a week at Easter. Also they had a GREAT breakfast for us. Lots of choices that were fresh(most came from Publix) and several cereals and beverages to choose from.

CJDJ
04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Well here's a positive one. We've been doing timeshare presentations for several years and here's what we do. We always book early give yourself 2 hrs. before the park open. We eat breakfast there and as we're walking around the resort we stretch to warm up for the park and we don't ask them questions (Do not seem interested or they'll thrive off of you and if one person seems intested and the other doesn't. they'll play you against each other) If they ask you what can you afford say nothing Disney took all our money :-) If you tell them you could afford $100 a month. They'll do the darndest to hook line and sink you. Keep your kids with you and clock them. If it's getting close to your ending time cut them off. You agreed to a 90 min tour and that's it. We only do the cash offers and we don't allow it to interfere with our trip. When the leave our table for my husband and I to talk we talk about what we're going to do with their money. Cleared $400.00 & didn't interfere with our trip and helped with our Disney expenses. Just remember. "WE'RE NOT INTERESTED!"

You know the deal

Meet your host
show your ID
Sit to eat with your family and SHARKIE LOL
I hate to eat with people I don't know...
talk about the history of timeshare Location, Location, Location
and how Florida is in demand (red week all year long)
and how you can will this 1 week property to your kids because you get a deed. Meanwhile 51 other people have your same villa (oh, you gotta love it!)
Listen do as many timeshares as you can. Come back home and put that money on your mortgage. Then you'd have something worthwhile to leave to your children.
Tour the facilities
Sit with Sharkie and tell him your not interested and wait for two more people to drop by. Someone who just got a great deal for YOU!! Just now. Oh my goodness, Could you believe it!! Sharkie has never seen a better deal in his whole 12 years working at ?????? and he's shocked you're not biting!!!
Then the final person who wants to make sure everything is ok and everybody treated you ok. Blah, blah, blah and the gift..... Show me the money.... :-) After doing them so much it becomes a part of you. We actually get excited about doing them because the moneys there it's just a tug of war which way will it go........... Be firm and pay off your motgage!!!

Carol

jenr812
04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Well here's a positive one. We've been doing timeshare presentations for several years and here's what we do. We always book early give yourself 2 hrs. before the park open. We eat breakfast there and as we're walking around the resort we stretch to warm up for the park and we don't ask them questions (Do not seem interested or they'll thrive off of you and if one person seems intested and the other doesn't. they'll play you against each other) If they ask you what can you afford say nothing Disney took all our money :-) If you tell them you could afford $100 a month. They'll do the darndest to hook line and sink you. Keep your kids with you and clock them. If it's getting close to your ending time cut them off. You agreed to a 90 min tour and that's it. We only do the cash offers and we don't allow it to interfere with our trip. When the leave our table for my husband and I to talk we talk about what we're going to do with their money. Cleared $400.00 & didn't interfere with our trip and helped with our Disney expenses. Just remember. "WE'RE NOT INTERESTED!"

You know the deal

Meet your host
show your ID
Sit to eat with your family and SHARKIE LOL
I hate to eat with people I don't know...
talk about the history of timeshare Location, Location, Location
and how Florida is in demand (red week all year long)
and how you can will this 1 week property to your kids because you get a deed. Meanwhile 51 other people have your same villa (oh, you gotta love it!)
Listen do as many timeshares as you can. Come back home and put that money on your mortgage. Then you'd have something worthwhile to leave to your children.
Tour the facilities
Sit with Sharkie and tell him your not interested and wait for two more people to drop by. Someone who just got a great deal for YOU!! Just now. Oh my goodness, Could you believe it!! Sharkie has never seen a better deal in his whole 12 years working at ?????? and he's shocked you're not biting!!!
Then the final person who wants to make sure everything is ok and everybody treated you ok. Blah, blah, blah and the gift..... Show me the money.... :-) After doing them so much it becomes a part of you. We actually get excited about doing them because the moneys there it's just a tug of war which way will it go........... Be firm and pay off your motgage!!!

Carol

:rotfl: :rotfl:

shame711
04-05-2005, 06:47 AM

I would love to know what resort this was!

jenr812
05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
P.S. Someone mentioned Westgate above. They have the WORST reputation in the industry and I would never go on one of their tours again. We did go to one in Gatlinburg and they were quite rude to us. Even had an argument with them before we got started because they recruited us at a local event near my home, then were upset that we weren't staying in a hotel. Apparently their headhunter made an error and it took a bit of an argument during which an employee grabbed our paperwork out of my hand (just before I grabbed it back and ask to see her supervisor).
Bumping this up because Westgate just called me this morning to try to get me to come to Gatlinburg and I thought of this thread :rotfl: :rotfl:

mking624
05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Both my inlaws and my grandparents did the whole timeshare tour in order to get tickets and both were treated absolutely horribly from start to finish. My grandparents were even verbally abused...and I mean they were cursed at and berated and even call some pretty vulgar & racially offensive names (they are hispanic). They got their tickets, but both grroups (particularly my grandparents) said it was not worth it. They said they would have rather paid triple the ticket price rather than go through that experience again. So learning from their experiences, I refuse to do any timeshare tours ever. The only one I'll be doing is the DVC because we're interested in that.

jenr812
05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Both my inlaws and my grandparents did the whole timeshare tour in order to get tickets and both were treated absolutely horribly from start to finish. My grandparents were even verbally abused...and I mean they were cursed at and berated and even call some pretty vulgar & racially offensive names (they are hispanic). They got their tickets, but both grroups (particularly my grandparents) said it was not worth it. They said they would have rather paid triple the ticket price rather than go through that experience again. So learning from their experiences, I refuse to do any timeshare tours ever. The only one I'll be doing is the DVC because we're interested in that.
We are interested in DVC too. What kind of incentives (if any) do they offer for these tours? OTher than the "padding the Michael Eisner retirement fund" incentive that is :rolleyes1

LIFERBABE
05-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I wouldnt do it either. They treat you like dirt once they know you are not interested. DH and I swore off of them after 2 bad experiences in Cancun. It is just not worth it to us.

I don't want people yelling and calling me names as part of my vacation. If you count the cost involved for your vacation, ie the time off from work, your transportation costs, hotel, car rental, your vacation usually costs twice as much per hour than your income.

Im not giving that up for 90 minutes in a fire pit!

DVC was very laid back and no pressure. I did everything by phone because I was still shell shocked from Cancun. They don't offer or promise you anything to take the tour, but normally will give fastpasses or meal vouchers.

mking624
05-13-2005, 12:33 PM
We are interested in DVC too. What kind of incentives (if any) do they offer for these tours? OTher than the "padding the Michael Eisner retirement fund" incentive that is :rolleyes1

When we spoke with a DVC rep on our trip last year, we didn't have time to do a tour (as we were getting ready to check out), but we were told that we get a voucher for a counter service meal. But honestly, we actually weren't at all interested in it for the incentive...we just really want to learn more about DVC because we're interested in joining. We'll probably do a tour this year.

ARIEYELLOW
05-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I did a timeshare about 1 year ago or so. I would NEVER do one again. It is absolutely too time consuming.

RoyalCanadian
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm a United Methodist Minister, and you just don't make much on a preacher's salary.

And let the choir say AMEN!!!

DVC is a great option for those of us who find ourselves "working a shift" on Sunday mornings. True enough -- not the first year out of seminary (at least, not any seminary I'm aware of) -- but a few years down the parish road, it's a possibility worth considering.