PDA

View Full Version : Orlando-Sanford vs. MCO

leftwheel
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Can someone tell me how long it typically takes to drive from Orlando-Sanford International to the MK resorts? Does it take much longer than it does from MCO?

Have always flown into MCO - what are the biggest drawbacks (if any) to flying into Orlando-Sanford instead?

Cheshire Figment
04-02-2005, 09:17 AM
I dont think there is such a large selection of rental cars. Taking the Greeneway (SR 417) should add about 30 - 40 minutes to your trip. Although I-4 is not a toll road, it is usually very congested, especially in the downtown Orlando area. As a guideline, Tiffany Town Car charges $55 one way/$95 RT from Orlando International but $90/$180 from Sanford to Disney hotels.

blitzkrieg048
04-02-2005, 10:00 AM
It takes about 20-30 mins. from mco to wdw resorts. take 528 north to I-4. Couple of tolls but it's an ez ride. do it alot.

Anastasia
04-02-2005, 10:02 AM
We flew into Sanford last February and it worked out great. It took about 45 minutes to drive to WDW from there. We didn't have any problems with traffic, however we flew in about 11:00 P.M. and flew out at 7:30 A.M.

It is a nice small airport, which I like when travelling with my kids. We rented a car from Alamo. We got a fantastic rate - something like $139 for 9 days.

If you are looking at renting a car, the rental companies have pretty limited hours. However Alamo, while not technically open at the time of our arrival, did have a person at the counter. (We arrived about 11:00 P.M.). There were quite a few people picking up cars at this time. When we made our reservations, I couldn't find any other car rental companies that could accomodate our late arrival. With Alamo, I made our car reservation online, and then called them to let them know we would be a late arrival, so that they could make sure they had someone there. I also confirmed that morning for my own peace of mind.

Good Luck with your plans!

Minerva
04-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Can someone tell me how long it typically takes to drive from Orlando-Sanford International to the MK resorts? Does it take much longer than it does from MCO?

Have always flown into MCO - what are the biggest drawbacks (if any) to flying into Orlando-Sanford instead?

Be sure to check out the airline carefully if it's a small one or a charter which is what a lot of airlines that fly into Sanford are. I was just talking to a travel agent the other day and she was telling me that they've had clients book with the small airline that flies out of a regional airport near me to Sanford only to show up at the airport and be told that they didn't sell enough tickets so the flight was cancelled. I had already ruled out that option but if I hadn't that would have done it for me. No cheap ticket is worth possibly not getting there on the day I want to to me.

Anastasia
04-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Minerva - that's a good point. We flew on Southeast (now defunct). They technically were a charter airline. We didn't have any issues, however they only ran two flights a day to Sanford, so if we missed our flight (which I never would have let happen), or there were any problems with our plane, I'm not sure would have happened.

If you fly out of a bigger airport, you have many more options for getting another flight if something goes wrong. I also believe that if your airline can't get you to your destination, they are required to get you on another flight, even if it's with another carrier. I'm not sure if this is the case with a charter operator.

Tricialiv
04-02-2005, 10:51 AM
We flew from Toledo, Ohio to Sanford in July on Transmeridian. We did have a 4 hour delay, but they fed us breakfast and lunch. We weren't on a tight schedule so it worked out fine. The small airports are so fast with security and baggage claim we really liked it. Then about a month later we got ticket vouchers that are making it possible for DH and I to go to Florida in June. So it worked for us that time. This Dec it doesn't because they only fly in and out on certain days.

CheapMom
04-02-2005, 11:40 AM
It took us about 40 minutes to get to wdw from Sanford. No traffic (it was Saturday morning) 1 big drawback is if you are staying on property and go through MCO- you can use Magical Express (I think that starts in May)
We got such cheap airfare (Vacation Express) to go to Sanford it was worth it. There are 5 onsite rental car agencies. Alamo, Avis, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz.

FreeTime
04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I like Sanford better than MCO, but we would fly Southeast, which is now gone. It was confusing to find your rental car though.

Minerva
04-02-2005, 03:15 PM
We flew from Toledo, Ohio to Sanford in July on Transmeridian. We did have a 4 hour delay, but they fed us breakfast and lunch. We weren't on a tight schedule so it worked out fine. The small airports are so fast with security and baggage claim we really liked it. Then about a month later we got ticket vouchers that are making it possible for DH and I to go to Florida in June. So it worked for us that time. This Dec it doesn't because they only fly in and out on certain days.

Transmeridian is the airline I was talking about. As Anastasia said they only have one flight a day a couple of days a week from our regional airport so if you show up and they're not flying that day because they didn't sell enough tickets you're pretty well sunk. It's the only airline flying to Orlando from that airport so they can't do anything other than put you on their next flight which might not be for a couple of days. If one is very flexible and going at an off time and don't have non refundable hotel reservations already made they're an option but if everything is booked it's an airline you may want to check out closely.