PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Kodak Users need your input! STAT!

ANTSS2001
03-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok, :sad2: I need help. A couple of months ago I went back to using an SLR camera(what I really want is to upgrade this SLR of mine to a digital SLR but then I have to choose between a trip to WDW or the upgrade) :rotfl: . Used it last January when I was in WDW. Also I have a 2 year old cybershot 2.1 which is still good for day time pics but not as good for night time pics though. Now I am debating if I want to get another cybershot(7.1)which I already have checked out so many times But what's stopping me is I don't want to spend $500.00 :cold: for a another camera. Now my question is I am looking at Kodak EasyShare CX7530 5-Megapixel Digital Camera and Kodak DX4530 5.0MP Digital Camera which is much cheaper than the Sony Cybershot but I don't know anybody who owns one to ask them the quality and it's function. Sorry I have a "Sony syndrome" and trying to cure it. Help anybody. I need to make a decision in 10 days so I can use it on my next trip on April 15 :banana:

lemondog
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't have either of those models but I do have the DX7590 which is also 5.0 megapixels. I love it!!! Very user friendly and the photos turn out great.

off to neverland
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
My parents have one of those two Kodak models, and I have the Sony F717, 8 megapixel camera. I, too, agonized over the decision between the sony and kodak, and in the end went with the sony because I liked the lense better and thought some its features gave me more functions similar to that of an SLR. I also liked the video quality on the sony a bit better.

Having said that, I was just with my parents for Easter weekend, and we were taking pictures of the same things~ I would not be able to tell a difference in the picture quality of the two cameras, and I sure like the ease of the printer dock of mom's kodak! Her camera also seemed to go a bit faster than mine.

If money is the issue, I really think the Kodak would be great for you. Sony makes a great camera, but having seem my mom's Kodak perform, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself. IT was great.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you decide!

hambirg
03-31-2005, 06:51 PM
I have the Kodak DX 4530. It was a gift at Christmas. I haven't used it alot and I'm not very knowledgeable about cameras. That being said, it takes great pictures and is easy to use. I had an old Fuji (MX 500). I couldn't take it anywhere because it didn't hold a charge (it's good for my E-bay pics). If money is an issue, I would definetly get the Kodak.

luv2nascar
03-31-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't have the particular camera you are looking it. I think mine is 4 mega pixel Kodak but I love it. I have the printer dock and think that is just so easy and great quality pics. You can't tell I printer them at home.
good luck deciding

ramona fogarty
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I have the DX 4530 Kodak and just love it. It is so easy to use and the pictures are just great. I never did get the printer because I am just to cheap to buy the ink. I go to CVS and print them there. This is the easiest camera I have ever used and the pictures are the best.

Did I tell you how much I love my new camera. Also, I spent all day taking pictures at WDW and would just charge it up at night. I do have the dock to recharge but not the printer.

Hope this helps and good luck.

my3kids
03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
I LOVE my Kodak Digital camera. :flower:

Padme
03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Another vote for the DX4530!! :flower:

We got one for Christmas and took over 400 pictures with it on our trip in February. They came out great!
This camera is easy to use and small enough to carry around all day- but not too small that it's difficult to hold.

ShariVT
03-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I love mine also. It takes great pictures and the printer is does a great job.

PamCo88
03-31-2005, 10:11 PM
I also have the DX 4530 and love it. Had it since Nov. 2003. Bought the charging dock but not the printer. I use an HP 7960 to print all photos. Great 4 x 6 and great 8 x 10 photos. I print on Kodak ultima picture paper using the kodak software. Pictures come out fantastic.

Ness2289
03-31-2005, 10:24 PM
I have the Kodak DX4530 and have been very happy with it. (And I got up at 5AM the day after Thanksgiving to get it!) It's great! I'll be taking mine in June! Can't wait! :cool1:

aphasia83
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't have that particular model - I bought my Kodak EasyShare about two years ago. It is absolutely awesome for all of your digital picture needs. So I can only imagine that the newer models must be even better - especially 5 pixel. You don't even NEED 5 pixels unless you're planning to blow up your pictures to 8x10s! So I'd say go for it. It's a great investment, and you'll save a lot of money in the long run on developing costs, since you will probably only develop a fraction of the pictures you take with your SLR camera.

If you are worried about the quality of the camera, do a web search of somewhere like epinions or www.consumerreports.org - both are very helpful. Also, big stores that sell electronics (I'm in Canada, but I use FutureShop.ca) tend to have sections for reviews, so that's helpful to check out too. You might even find a camera, based on the reviews, that's even better and CHEAPER than the one you're currently looking at.

Robindianne
04-01-2005, 12:06 AM
I have the Kodak DX4530. I bought it at Costco in a "bundle" that included the docking station. Then I bought the wide angle lens and lens attachment. I used to be a Realtor and with the camera and that lens I got absolutely beautiful photos of entire rooms (got about double the width as without the lens on). The thing I like best of all about my camera is the sports setting (icon of a running man) because even if I am not totally still my photos turn out crisp and clear. I also have an extra memory card that allows me to take a 21 minute video with it, although the videos are small and once you pick a setting (zoom or not) you can't change the camera setting while filming. Must stop the recording and then change your zoom. Anyway, the only only only thing I wish for is that someone would make a true (not a plastic bag) underwater housing for this one. Otherwise, IMHO it's just a perfect, user friendly camera that takes great shots. Oh PS they also fit a zoom lens. I'm taking it to WDW April 5th.

ANTSS2001
04-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Thank You for all the inputs :cloud9: really appreciate this! I will finalize this camera dillema this weekend and I promise to keep you all posted! Have a great weekend my family here at DIS :love:

Southern4sure
04-01-2005, 07:42 AM
I have the Kodak Easy share CX7330. I love this camera. I bought the docking station also...the prints are great. I can email pics to those who have a computer and print out and snail mail reg. pics to those who dont have a computer. I think you would like it.

christinadei
04-01-2005, 08:18 AM
I have the Kodak DX4530 and have been very happy with it. (And I got up at 5AM the day after Thanksgiving to get it!) It's great! I'll be taking mine in June! Can't wait! :cool1:

Me too! I love it :cool1: It takes awesome pictures, very bright and clear and it's just the perfect size. I also switched from an SLR to digital and am loving how small this camera is. I can stick it right in my purse. And man have I saved money on film and developing. I get prints from winkflash for .08 each.

Ariel Wanna-be
04-01-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry to piggyback on this thread - my apologies to ANTSS2001!

BUT:

I have a Kodak DX7440, and while I love this camera, I have a problem: if the light isn't very bright, the pictures come out dark and grainy. I'm not talking about taking pictures in the dark, just any light that isn't super bright!

Am I doing something wrong? I'm clueless about cameras!

Any help would be appreciated!

KATIESMOMMY
04-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I have the Kodak cx7530- Got it at Christmas.I just love it! So far has been my fav cam!

zdad
04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Another vote for the Kodak. I have an older 3.2 megapixel (x64??) but it exceeds in every way. Picture quality, movie clip taking, ease of use.

Save the money and buy a Kodak printing station too. You'll love it.

kdtwiss
04-01-2005, 09:41 AM
this is a little ot, but I am wondering if when you have the printer dock you have to print photos as they are or can you pop them up on the computer and tweak them a bit first? I am a bit of a perfectionist about photos and I really like to crop all the background stuff out and do a levels autofix before I print. TIA for anyone's help! That is the only thing holding me back from the printer dock. I have a Kodak and I love it, have never had a Sony though.

fsufandis
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I've got the 4530. Takes excellent pics. I've added at 512MB memory card.

I got the Camera and the docking station for about $120 at Thanksgiving from Wal-Mart.

I've taken probably 1000 plus photos since then. They are awesome. I found a tripod at a garage sale and use it a lot and set the self timer and jump in the shot too.

I use the lower resolution for e-bay pics as the higher one is too large for e-bay. Takes excellent close-ups for extra fine detail as I post high end clothes (Lauren Purple Label) on ebay sometimes.

I don't know if there would have been $400 difference as the fact that I was looking at a Cannon 5.0mp for about $500.

No regrets now and I will be able to afford a better camera in a year or two and not feel bad because I've spent too much on this purchase.

PhoohWhoWho
04-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Kodak DX4530 5.0MP Digital Camera Have it and i love it! It's so easy and very nice pictures!

mickeyluv'r
04-01-2005, 02:04 PM
WE've got the Easyshare with 5.0 megapixels. We love it because it is so easy to use. We DON'T have the photodock - and I would say you don't need it if it isn't bundled in - so long as you ahve a way to connect the camera to your computer. I can't recall if the cord we have came withthe camera, or if it was one we already had, but it is very easy to plug the camera in, and the Kodak software is very easy to use. Ofoto has good service, IMHO. Yes, I was able to get a variety of print types at good prices. The Kodak software also lets you modify your pictures pretty well, and it is easier to use than the other software we have. The only complaint I have about the camera, is that I wish it had more zoom.
As far as grainy prints, my nephew took some pics a year ago, and I think he was not good about holding the camera still at all, so many of his pics were blurry - but there was enough light. Using the flash helps with picture quality - but sometimes turning the flash off helps too. We were able to get pics of fireworks last year - but I think we put the camera on a makeshift tripod - if your pics aren't coming out well in dim light, and you have the 5.0 - I'd be willing to bet your issue is tiny amounts of motion. Try using the tripod, or putting the camera on a solid surface to take pics in dim light.

weare6travelers
04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I have the Kodack dx6490 and the printer dock. I LOVE them both. The pictures I take and print have amazing color and clarity.

weare6travelers

jenr812
04-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I have the Kodak DX7590 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=jeffandjenfinati&path=tg/detail/-/B000231D1K/qid=1111189761/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846) and LOOOOVE it! The bundle is down to $434 at Amazon :)

luv2nascar
04-01-2005, 04:47 PM
you can download the pictures to your computer and tweek first before you print. I always have to do this because my blue eyed daughter always has red eyes in the pictures. So I get them all fixed up and then print. Love it - can't say enough about it.

wilwij104
04-01-2005, 04:59 PM
ANTSS2001,

I have a Panasonic FZ-15. A really nice top rated camera. It has a 12X optical zoom--A Leica lens no less! It is only 4 MP, but with that kind of zoom, you don't need the high MP cameras. This camera cannot be beat--check in at dpreview.com and see all the high comments it gets.

I got it for less than $400.00 online.

I also carry a small Sony 3.2 MP Cybershot sometimes. A lot of people do not like Sony, but the pictures from my small Cybershot are really nice.

Ron

Franne
04-01-2005, 05:53 PM

BUT:

I have a Kodak DX7440, and while I love this camera, I have a problem: if the light isn't very bright, the pictures come out dark and grainy. I'm not talking about taking pictures in the dark, just any light that isn't super bright!

I thought it was just me! I have the same camera and the same thing happens with indoor pictures. I read all the wonderful reveiws, so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and was going to call them to see. Otherwise I love the camera. Takes great outdoor pics, you would never know they were digital.
Franne

poohangel
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Lemondog, have you taken any pics at disney with your camera? Fireworks or Spectro? I have just bought one like yours and would like to know how they turned out.

God Bless, poohangel

ANTSS2001
04-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok, :sad2: I need help. A couple of months ago I went back to using an SLR camera(what I really want is to upgrade this SLR of mine to a digital SLR but then I have to choose between a trip to WDW or the upgrade) :rotfl: . Used it last January when I was in WDW. Also I have a 2 year old cybershot 2.1 which is still good for day time pics but not as good for night time pics though. Now I am debating if I want to get another cybershot(7.1)which I already have checked out so many times But what's stopping me is I don't want to spend $500.00 :cold: for a another camera. Now my question is I am looking at Kodak EasyShare CX7530 5-Megapixel Digital Camera and Kodak DX4530 5.0MP Digital Camera which is much cheaper than the Sony Cybershot but I don't know anybody who owns one to ask them the quality and it's function. Sorry I have a "Sony syndrome" and trying to cure it. Help anybody. I need to make a decision in 10 days so I can use it on my next trip on April 15 :banana:

:goodvibes Ok, 1st I would like to thank my DIS family for all the help. I know I said I would finalize my camera dillema this weekend. But after staying up all night comparing information on diff'rent sites I made a run this morning. I'M in the process of picking uo the Kodak CX7530 when the sales guy told me I need to buy a memory card which would cost me $79.99 :eek: I had to put the camera and compose myself :faint: So then I went to check the Sony DCS-P93 and I said to myself this is going to be OK it would be cheaper than $350.00 since it comes with a 32MB memory stick plus I can use my old memory stick from my old DSC-F505 but they don't have it in stock! :confused: I was ready to :worried: cry and I guess He did really want to either sell something or just get me out of the store so he gave me the DCS-P100 for the same prize. :earboy2: So there, The End !!! I have another question but that would be for a different thread! Again Thank You very much for all the input you guys are the greatest! :disrocks:

Southern4sure
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
:goodvibes Ok, 1st I would like to thank my DIS family for all the help. I know I said I would finalize my camera dillema this weekend. But after staying up all night comparing information on diff'rent sites I made a run this morning. I in the process of picking uo the Kodak CX7530 when the sales guys told me I need to buy a memory card which would cost me $79.99 :eek: I hade to put the camera and compose myself :faint: So then I went to check the Sony DCS-P93 and I said to myself this is going to be OK it would be cheaper than $350.00 since it comes with a 32MB memory stick plus I can use my old memory stick from my old DSC-F505 but they don't have it in stock! :confused: I was ready to :worried: cry and I guess He did really want to either sell something or just get me out of the store so he gave me the DCS-P100 for the same prize. :earboy2: So there, The End !!! I have another question but that would be for a different thread! Again Thank You very much for all the input you guys are the greatest! :disrocks:

What size memory stick was $80.? I have the Kodak cx7330. I paid like $30. for 128 MB stick at Target.

CheapMom
04-01-2005, 10:03 PM
I have an old Easy Share 2.1 MP camera that works great. I can make 8x10s and lose very little quality... (Here are some photos I took with it) (http://dmaher1.photosite.com/june2004/) I have had it for about 4 or 5 years. Love it.
So I thought that I should upgrade to the Kodak Easy Share that is 3.2 MP (It's around $99 and I think it is the 7300 or somehing like that) I figured newer technology, more a whole MP bigger... The pictures would be awesome- wrong. The pictures stink even when set to best quality. And I also have that grainy problem in anything but BRIGHT sunlight. The colors were weird too.
Anyway I guess my point is - stay away from the cheap Easy Shares (which the Op was not considering anyway)

ANTSS2001
04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
What size memory stick was $80.? I have the Kodak cx7330. I paid like $30. for 128 MB stick at Target.

they only have SanDisk 512MB SD™ Card (SDSDB-512-768), I was hoping for SanDisk 256MB CompactFlash™ Card (SDCFB-256-768) which would get me to around $300.00 that I was willing to pay. And the inpatient person that I am I just needed a camera when I leave the store. :sad2:

PrincessJasmine1972
04-02-2005, 01:15 AM
I have the 3.2 megapixel Easyshare camera and I dearly love it! It has all sorts of settings for day time, night time, motion,as well as just general picture taking. It also will take video as well. Hope this helps..:)

amlpt
04-09-2005, 12:27 PM
I was given a Kodak Easy Share 7530 for my anniversary. I really know very little about digital camaras but I do love the quality of the pictures I have taken.

I do have one question. The first day I used the camera, the battery showed up low after about 17 pictures. I charged it for about 10 hours before using it. How long should I expect batteries to stay charged?

jeancbpugh
04-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Go to the Kodak users board at Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com) and ask for sample pictures.

Also, if you own an SD card, go to Best Buy and take a couple of pictures, then go home and print them. You'll want to see how the camera feels in your hands anyway.

I have a Kodak DX6490 and am pleased with it.

jeancbpugh
04-09-2005, 12:35 PM

BUT:

Ariel Wanna-be, did your 7440 always have this problem or is it new? Did you change any settings. There are a lot of friendly experienced camera users at the Kodak forum at dpreview.com, and a couple of Kodak employees frequent there, too. They've been very helpful with my questions about my DX6490. :earsboy:

disneyjunkie
04-09-2005, 12:53 PM
How about the Kodak cx7430, 4.0MP?

This is my first digital camera.( Just go it last Wednesday) I really want to get some great shots of the castle, fireworks and parades during our trip later this month.

Savin4Disney
04-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I have the 7430X and I love it. I paid 199.99 for it and got a free memory card with it. I also got some rechargeable batteries. So far only used it for Ebay and my son for the carshow. But the pictures are awesome. I can't believe I did not get one sooner.

I think though it is only 4 pixel.

SaraMc
04-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I have the Cx7300.. I love this camera. I didnt bother with the dock or anything. It takes such good pictures. Check out Sam's Club, Costco or Walmart for memory cards, the price on them has dropped significantly. Another option is you can always have your memory card pics burned onto a CD while your in the parks if you fill it up. I have a 256mb one and I filled it twice while we were there in Feb.

Check out the quality of the photo's on my online portfolio.

www.saramc.deviantart.com

Taja
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Glad you resolved your camera delimma! :)

I have a Kodak EasyShare CX7300. It takes very good pictures, but eats batteries when you use the optional viewing screen. This is a secondary camera (already have a really nice one but forgot to take it to WDW last December--oops!), and my criteria for purchasing it were: decent photos, price point around $100 and must use SD memory card (what my "good" camera uses). While I wouldn't recommend it because of the battery use, it's very easy to use and the photo quality is very good!

manticore
04-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Ariel Wanna-be, did your 7440 always have this problem or is it new? Did you change any settings. There are a lot of friendly experienced camera users at the Kodak forum at dpreview.com, and a couple of Kodak employees frequent there, too. They've been very helpful with my questions about my DX6490. :earsboy:

I second jeancbpugh's recommendation of the boards over at www.dpreview.com. I frequent there very often and there are many very good photographers there as well as reps. Often they can look at your pictures and with the exif information can give you a very good idea of what you need to do. All my camera purchases have been based on lot of research time on that board as well as a few other websites.

ANTSS2001
05-25-2005, 02:06 AM
As I promised I would post some pictures from my new digital camera and again thank you for all your time and input... here are some of the pictures ...http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/553/82918o15-med.jpg http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/82918castle05-med.jpg http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/82918dd13.jpg http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/82918dd14-med.jpg
again thank you .. I had fun using the camera!!!! Going back to use it more... :love: