PDA

View Full Version : Our vacation is definitely OFF!!!!!

lemondog
03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
DH's car is dead. I mean side of the road, black smoke spewing out of it DEAD! The mechanic said the engine is blown -- minimum of $6000 to fix it. Hah! That's WAY more than the stupid thing is worth. I am so PISSED OFF we just put $1200 into that car, and DH had JUST put $42 worth of gas in it not 5 minutes before it blew up.

So much for Volvos. In my opinion, they SUCK! When we got the car in Sept. the mechanic gave it a thorough inspection and said "Yep, this Volvo engine will never die." Ya, right!!! We had bought an older car to avoid a car payment, but I am scared to buy a cheapy car again for fear of this happening, which means we're off to a dealership to finance one. Like we need a car payment!!! :mad: The Disney vacation is shot for sure. We need that money (we've saved up $3000 so far) for a down payment. Such is life.

I am SO ANGRY right now I think my bp must be through the roof!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MouseMan
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me last year but, with a FORD. I had to use the money to get a new car. But hey I'm back in the saddle and on my way again to Disney in April.

Remember Disney will be there when you get back in the saddle.;)

agotta
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Awww!! So sorry that the car died!! Everything happens for a reason though, you just have to wait to see what it is :hug:

ducklite
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I know you didn't want a car payment, but in all honesty, with the zero % financing deals many automakers are offering these days, it's ridiculous to not buy a new car. The money you'll put into buying and maintaining a used car over the next four to five years will be the same or more as the payments on a new car, and at the end of five years you'll still have a trade-in on a new car, a used car is generally worthless at 10 years.

Had you put the cash you used to purchase the used car down on a new one, and financed it for five years at zero percent, you'd probably only be looking at a $225/mo payment, maybe even less which is quite manageable in most budgets. I bought a $20K +/- Saturn financing 100% of it at 0%, my payments are only $308 per month. I financed 100% of it--why not? No interest!

Sorry you'll have to cancel your trip, maybe you'll get a bonus at work or a tax return that will allow you to reschedule?

Anne

disneysnowflake
03-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I"m in the same boat as you.
DH's truck started squealing 2 weekends ago. The mechanic said the ball joints on his Dodge truck need replaced. It's no longer under warranty. We were shocked to not only be told the 4 ball joints cost $1000, but the parts are on national backorder... there's no telling when or if we'll get the parts. This is a nice truck, too. How can Dodge not make replacement parts for this particular year?

Anyway, DH started having to take my car to work. It's been out of warranty for 2 weeks. Sure enough it made a noise. I had to get the tire rod replaced plus 2 tires replaced. The cost of this work we had done on Tuesday was $350.

DH was on layoff for a while, and then was back to work but at cut back hours. Unless we get really lucky we're not going to WDW this year. I don't want to do that whole ebay income tax filing crap, so unless I can do really well at our yard sale we're not going. :(

I feel for you. I like cars, but sometimes they stink.

frannn
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
First we spent 2000. for a new transmission. Then he had an oil leak. After 4 times trying to have it fixed and another 4000. later, we finally decided to throw in the towel. In Jan, we just bought a 2005 Saturn Vue. We got 3.9% financing and a few incentives. We put a decent down payment on it, but still have monthly payments of 368. This and our real estate tax increase is crippling us somewhat, but we have made a committment to take our WDW trip. We will use our tax refund to "pay ourselves back" for the downpayment, pay off some bills, and pay for the trip. If DH's employment contract ever comes through, we use his retro pay to pay down some more of the car's balance. I remember when we didn't have a house or a new car, and we had more mad money. But, we didn't have a new car, or a house. So, I'll eat pb&j for a long, long, long time.

christinadei
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow, everyone is having car trouble. I blew a head gasket last saturday on my NEW car. Okay, It's not brand new, it's a 2000 Honda CRV. But it's not the car's fault. I ran into someone a while back and apparantly put a whole in the radiator. It's costing us about $350 to fix it and that's with DH doing the labor.

luvindisneyworld
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Go with one that has 0% interest and finance it all.Then you will stillhave your money for Disney and have a new car and dont have to worry about it breaking down on your way there.

Misty

DisKim
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I can feel your pain. My story is not about needing a new car, but my DH has had his hours cut for the summer at work. He is a computer technician for a school district and gets paid hourly to prepare the schools for the next year's opening over the summer. This is the first year that the budget was completely cut so as of right now, he has no work for 2 1/2 months since there will be no money to buy new computers or software for him to install. To top it all off, I'm expecting a baby very soon and I was taken out of work in January and put on bedrest which ended my paychecks. We had reservations for the end of June. I can't see any way around cancelling them. I'm just thankful that I never told the kids we were planning a trip. I couldn't imagine having to explain all of that to them.

mikess
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Go with one that has 0% interest and finance it all.Then you will stillhave your money for Disney and have a new car and dont have to worry about it breaking down on your way there.

Misty

Even better, get one that is cheap and good gas mileage. Like a Honda Civic. You can get one used for under $10,000, cheap interest rates and 40+ miles per gallon. And you can use the Volvo as a trade in.

There's on way I would put $6000 in an old car, when you can get a new one.

Ilovestitch
03-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I bought a brand new Plymouth Neon in 2000 and its been a GREAT car- gets awesome gas mileage. I live close to my work so I only have to get gas every 4-6 weeks. The only time its been to a mechanic is to get oil changes- that's IT! Its a great car and was far cheaper than a Honda Civic- I think honda's are overpriced for what you get. :flower:

Forevryoung
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
I got an amazing deal on my car a 2003 Nissan Sentra that was bought from the dealer over the summer. The car had about 30,000 miles on it but is in perfect condition. It still has the original 3 year warantee soooo if anything goes wrong before October its totally covered. The car was 10,000 total. I thought it was an amazing deal. Wonderful wonderful car and I will have it for the next 7 years or so :flower:

HenDuck
03-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Just wanted to say, I feel your pain!

My DH has been telling me that our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is going to die at any moment. Of course, he's been saying that for over a year, but it's like playing Russian Roulette driving that thing!

We know it's not long for this world. We don't have the $$ for a down payment on another car. It will be a total burden to take on a new car payment too.

So I'm just sitting and waiting for the "bomb" to drop on us... :sad1:

Good luck with your situation! (I'd buy a Toyota if I were you... :flower: )

bengalbelle
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm so sorry about your trip. I know how disappointing that must be. Here's some :wizard: and hoping you find a way to take your vacation.

It must be time for the car troubles. I just spent over $1000.00 on new tires and car repairs. I'm lucky because it could have been much more. My computer had to be replaced but thankfully it was covered under the powertrain warranty. We're looking into replacing DH's Tundra right now. He drives 50+ miles round trip to work and we're spending over $200.00/month in gas (just for him, not counting my gas). We love the truck and it will be paid for next year, but we just keep thinking about what we could do with the savings if we bought something with better gas mileage.

Mady/Sophiemom
03-31-2005, 06:11 PM
We must have the same gremlins jynxing us, as you do.

4 weeks before Christmas- $600 in van repairs. OUCH!!

last week $360 for our other vehicle. Double OUCH!!

Fornuately not enough to cancel our trip. But definately enough to cut down our spending $$.

We feel your pain :guilty: Had to cancel our trip one year for medical expenses. But don't worry, you will rebound, and when you finnally do go, it will be even sweeter.

GOOD LUCK :wizard: :wizard:

MagicalMom
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Maybe you can use the older car as a trade in. I traded in a car with a blown engine once. They came & picked it up from my house. I'm sorry about you vacation.

Alicnwondrln
03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
im so sorry that stinks
goo dluck and make sure you dont get ripped off at a dealership

CarolA
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I just spent $600 on tires. Now it wouldn't be so bad, but this the second full set of tires this car has had and it only has 47,000 miles!

FigmentGuy
03-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Eeek, darn cars! We had car trouble also.. past summer we sank $3000 into repairs only to have the motor blow 2 months later! So to replace it, 2e got a great deal and a great warranty on our Kia Spectra. Great lil car, then it happened this Feburary... my transmission in my car went! $2000 later i have a rebuilt transmission. Then out of nowhere our Kia got hit by a big old durango 3 weeks ago! (full coverage w/$500 deductable , but our ins. rates are gonna rocket) E~gad! So.. we are feeling a bit down on the spirit too. This may hinder our vacation too :( But I tryin for a promotion at work... just keepin my fingers crossed! :sunny:

lemondog
03-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone!!! It makes me feel good to know people out there do care. :grouphug: I know Disney will still be there, but we were hoping to get in a trip before the twins turned 3 just to save a little money. Oh well, the upside is, they will be a little older when we do get to go (would have been 22 months), so that might make things easier on us physically.

I am feeling a little better now. Actually, we have 3 kids in carseats so I need a bigger car anyway (translation: minivan), because they are really wedged into my Explorer. :crowded: So DH can have the Explorer and I'll drive the minivan. Oh God, I never thought I'd become a minivan mom! :faint:

We are still looking at used cars. Even with 0% financing we would not be able to swing the payments on a brand new minivan. I am a SAHM and we were pushing it as is. Thank GOD we just used DH's bonus to pay off some debt, so we have a little freed up to afford a car payment now. Like they say, everything happens for a reason.

Luckily DH was the top salesman at a local car dealership for 2 years -- he really knows the ins and outs of the business and hopefully that will keep us from getting screwed. Wish us luck! :shamrock:

JDarling
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me last year but, with a FORD. I had to use the money to get a new car. But hey I'm back in the saddle and on my way again to Disney in April.

Remember Disney will be there when you get back in the saddle.;)

My 2000 Ford Focus keeps costing us a ton of money too. :( In feb alone, it cost $1500 in "matinence" - new tires (only got 35,000 out of them - according to tire guy, it's a 1st model Ford Focus problem, they all wear that bad), new front brakes (and now the rear ones are starting to squeel, they've both lasted just about a year), new platinum spark plugs and wires (that was the CHEAP part), and a new clutch ($700 just for that alone!). We even talked about trading it in for a Honda. I had a 20 year old honda that didn't die on me. I sold it!

We're a 1 car family too, so it's a BIG problem when my little (paid off) car craps out. DH needs it to get to work (w/o it, a 15 minute commute turns into 2 hours 1 way by bus). I walk the mile and 1/2 to my work every morning (hey! At least I need the excersize! I keep saying I'm just warming up for WDW). AND we didn't get a vacation last year (it was vacation or get out of living with roomies and buy our own condo - condo won).

BUt thankfully - Disney is still there!
I just hope we don't have a catastrophe this year - but we will if DH doesn't STOP SPENDING MONEY!

Liz
03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm so sorry! One of our cars died just a couple of months ago. It was awful. We'd had it so long I cried! It was like losing a member of the family! Silly huh?!

I hope things get back on track for you soon and you can get another WDW trip in the works!

aka-mad4themouse
04-01-2005, 07:36 AM
We just found out yesterday that DH's '97 Outback will need $1600 worth of work! :sad1: We were hoping to get another 18 months out of it before purchasing a new car, so this was not in our plans. But we're going ahead with our plans for WDW anyway since most of it is already paid for.

I'm sorry that you'll have to delay your trip. I know that it must be very disappointing to you. Like you said, with your twins being a little older, it may end up costing you more but it will be easier to make that trip. Think about how you won't have to lug diapers for 3 kids around! That alone would be a BIG day-brightener for me!

Good luck in your hunt for a new vehicle. I hope you find a reliable one that suits your needs. :hug:

Alicia Gist
04-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Go buy a new car!! Just kidding. My husband is a car salesman and sales are down so bad we don't know if we'll get to go to Disney!! I guess you could say it's the "Circle of Life". We need cars to break down where people buy new ones and you don't need yours to break down.

Gymbomom
04-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Don't you hate spending money on cars??? I grew up in a family where we drove all old cars and dad fixed them because they used the money to take us to Disney every other year and put us in private school.
So I do not have an ego when it comes to cars.
We bought a Lexxus a '91 six years ago, for $9,500 from his dad who works at a car lease. The ONLY thing that has gone wrong with it is the AC about a year after we had it ($1,000). It has 125,000 miles, which is amazing since it is 14 years old.
My hubby is looking at new cars for me, and I just DO NOT want to buy one. My car is "nice", runs, goes from A to B, I drive only around town, have a cell phone if I break down....
He also wants me to get a SUV, but they are SO expensive. I told him, put the money in the bank for the downpayment on a car, or a used car to be able to pay most of it. That way if my car dies then we have the money there.
I want to run this car into the ground....

tammy
04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug:

jenr812
04-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm so sorry :(

Cindy's Mom
04-01-2005, 04:10 PM
DH's truck started squealing 2 weekends ago. The mechanic said the ball joints on his Dodge truck need replaced. It's no longer under warranty. We were shocked to not only be told the 4 ball joints cost $1000, but the parts are on national backorder... there's no telling when or if we'll get the parts. This is a nice truck, too. How can Dodge not make replacement parts for this particular year?

Anyway, DH started having to take my car to work. It's been out of warranty for 2 weeks. Sure enough it made a noise. I had to get the tire rod replaced plus 2 tires replaced. The cost of this work we had done on Tuesday was $350.

DH was on layoff for a while, and then was back to work but at cut back hours. Unless we get really lucky we're not going to WDW this year. I don't want to do that whole ebay income tax filing crap, so unless I can do really well at our yard sale we're not going. :(

If the ball joints are on national back order there probably is a problem. I have a Chrysler and DH has a Jeep, both bought new in 2000. 6 months ago, BOTH of our power door locks blew out (8 locks in total). Jeep is made by Chrysler, so the part are the same parts.

We took the cars to the dealer paid about $800 to get them fixed. then I call Chrysler customer service complained that there must be a defect out there, they mailed me back $600.

Lemondog -
I am feeling a little better now. Actually, we have 3 kids in carseats so I need a bigger car anyway (translation: minivan), because they are really wedged into my Explorer. :crowded: So DH can have the Explorer and I'll drive the minivan. Oh God, I never thought I'd become a minivan mom! :faint:

Don't do it - Don't go over to the other side......stay here with us. :)

speedyf
04-01-2005, 04:11 PM
My 94 Nissan Sentra is still kickin'....

Never had a lick of trouble with it....just general maintenance (new tires, oil change every 5k, brakes) but no mechanical problems.

Gotta love American Built foreign cars. My Sentra is from Tennessee....my Camry is from Kentucky.

I agree with Gymbomom...I'm not into fancy, new cars. Just get me from Point A to Point B.

I especially like to pull up to a pump near a Surburban that is already pumping gas....completely fill up my car for about $22...and leave the pump as the Surburban continues to pump away....$50....$60....$70....

I guess everyone has their own thing....some people like big new cars....some people are ok with smaller, older cars. Some people like a trip to Disney every year (me!)....others look at us obsessed DISers like we are crazy! :earboy2:

To each their own....

speed

ryan840
04-01-2005, 04:14 PM

I think that there is a recall for the ball joints, you might want to check it out. My dad had his done too and then found about it.

ETA- I forgot to mention how sorry I am about your vacation!

jdk5672
04-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry about the bad luck. :grouphug:

If it makes you feel any better, I swore I would never drive a mini-van. However, I wound up with one temporarily 7 years ago and absolutely refuse to give it up until it falls apart. I simply love it. It has been dependable, suited every situation, handles all the kid/sport needs, gets good mileage, and since my ego isn't wrapped up in it, I don't mind if there are some crumbs and dog hair on the seats! It's been a faithful friend. :flower:

jlw29
04-02-2005, 06:17 AM
SO sorry about your car and it's consequences to your vacation. I can feel your pain. My transmission died Thursday in my 2000 Chevy Tracker (with 99,892 miles) as I was pulling into the parking garage at work. I went to turn it around, put it into reverse, and the car went forward! After a fight with AAA (who had me down as basic, not plus -- and I had to have it towed 40 miles home!) I got it to the mechanic and found out it will be $4000+ for a new one or $2400 for a rebuilt (guess which we're going with!). This car has to last me 2 more years until I'm done with residency. A new tranny is cheaper than a new car, and if it's replaced now, I know my car will last the 2 yrs I need. Even if the engine blows up, a new engine will still be cheaper than a new car.

MickeyMonstersMom
04-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Yup, must be the car repairs gremlin is on the loose. I'd told the kids last summer that we'd either buy a house or a new car. A great house came along, so when the entire exhaust system on our 1993 (!) Escort Wagon went kaput last fall, I replaced it. Then it was all the brakes and tires - paid over $400 just for those tires, too (mom persuaded me that I needed the 80K mile tires :rolleyes: ). When the transmission died, I got a rebuilt one as I'd already put so much money into the car. Of course, within a month of having the transmission replaced the head gasket blew. There's almost no chance I could have gotten decent financing on a newer car, and the down payment for the house had wiped out our savings, so I cashed in part of my retirement and picked up a used Chrysler Grand Voyager. I have to say, though, I can't really gripe about that old Escort - it had 200K miles on it and had never given me a bit of trouble until the poor thing just wore itself out.

lemondog
04-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone! I am sorry the car demon has been hitting a lot of us lately.

We were able to get a really nice minivan. It's a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country and even though I never thought I'd drive a minivan, I have to say it is by far the nicest, most luxurious car I have ever owned. The brand new versions of this model were just way too expensive ($35,000+), even with low or no interest we could never have done it. Plus, on principle I have a hard time buying a brand new car. But we got a good deal on this one, so I am glad. Of course, writing that down payment check HURT!!! I had visions of a little Mickey head going up in smoke. :sad2:

Oh well...we did use all our vacation money, but it did lower our car payments quite a bit so that's worthwhile. It hurts to have a car payment because we have not had one in so long, but I guess for reliable transportation it's worth it. I was just too scared to pay cash for a clunker like before, for fear of the same thing happening again.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! :grouphug:

kpk89
04-02-2005, 08:40 AM
I was just reading all the posts and thinking how much of a nuisance cars are! :) I'm glad that you got a fairly new one -- really smart, since brand new cars depreciate like mad as soon as you drive them off the lot. Better to get a pretty recent model that may still be in warranty and not have the huge payment.

We've got a 2000 T&C and though, like you, I thought I'd NEVER drive a minivan, it's really great. I didn't want that minivan mama image (after always having driven "cute" little cars) but then I decided "With 3 kids 5 & under, and their friends to sometimes tote around, who the HECK am I kidding? I AM A MINIVAN MAMA."

Phew that feels better to finally come out of denial. :banana:

maxaroni
04-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I can feel your pain. My story is not about needing a new car, but my DH has had his hours cut for the summer at work. He is a computer technician for a school district and gets paid hourly to prepare the schools for the next year's opening over the summer. This is the first year that the budget was completely cut so as of right now, he has no work for 2 1/2 months since there will be no money to buy new computers or software for him to install. To top it all off, I'm expecting a baby very soon and I was taken out of work in January and put on bedrest which ended my paychecks. We had reservations for the end of June. I can't see any way around cancelling them. I'm just thankful that I never told the kids we were planning a trip. I couldn't imagine having to explain all of that to them.

Don't know where you live and don't know if it's too late or not but if out of work due to being on bedrest for pregnancy, you can go on disibility. I did. I was put on bedrest at the end of my 1st trimester and remained there until the birth of my ds at week 37. I got pd state disiblility. It was less than my normal paycheck but it was money coming in.

winniedapooh
04-02-2005, 07:02 PM
:grouphug: So sorry about that. A tip as ducklite said, when we went looking for our new van, I knew exactly what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. Found some good used ones- a year or so old just as I wanted, figured they depreciate so much taking them off the lot. When we figured out what a used one would cost vs a new one with all of the incentives, plus rebates for college grad, cdl license, where DH works, it was cheaper for us to buy a new one made to my specifications than to buy a used one and upgrade some stuff in it.

Taja
04-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Glad you were able to get another vehicle. I know many people who have sworn they would never drive a minivan who have learned to love them! :)

If I hadn't totaled my 1986 Mazda in a 2001 accident, I would still be driving it! Since I wasn't planning to replace it for at least five years, I didn't have as much of a down payment as I wanted for a new car, so I drove a clunker with no air conditioning for two years. Quite uncomfortable when the temperature is 105+ degrees! Survived it though, and love my Toyota Corolla almost as much as my sadly departed Mazda!

Hope things improve for you soon! :)

NMW
04-03-2005, 10:59 AM
We always make sure we have 2 car payments so that we never get used to not having one and spend the money on something else! We always buy new cars and never put any money down on them. We stick with Toyota, Nissan. We'd also buy a Honda. We just did our first lease on a 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan. It's a great car. My kids love the DVD player.
Since you're a SAHM, what about a lease? You could get one without money down very easily. Good luck!

grlpwrd
04-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone! I am sorry the car demon has been hitting a lot of us lately.

We were able to get a really nice minivan. It's a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country and even though I never thought I'd drive a minivan, I have to say it is by far the nicest, most luxurious car I have ever owned. The brand new versions of this model were just way too expensive ($35,000+), even with low or no interest we could never have done it. Plus, on principle I have a hard time buying a brand new car. But we got a good deal on this one, so I am glad. Of course, writing that down payment check HURT!!! I had visions of a little Mickey head going up in smoke. :sad2:

Oh well...we did use all our vacation money, but it did lower our car payments quite a bit so that's worthwhile. It hurts to have a car payment because we have not had one in so long, but I guess for reliable transportation it's worth it. I was just too scared to pay cash for a clunker like before, for fear of the same thing happening again.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! :grouphug:

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you all. :wizard:

I would never encourage someone to get a new car even with 0% financing, especially under your circumstances.

Yes, you can't go without reliable transportation especially with kids, but you also can't go broke... You did well! In no time will you be posting about an upcoming trip to WDW and have even more fun. :goodvibes

EsmeraldaX
04-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a Chrysler PT Cruiser and it is definately the best car I have ever owned. No problems so far, and the one time I did have a problem on something minor, my warranty covered it with no hassles. I really like Chrysler. :) I think you will be very happy with your new car.

There's no reason to ever put 6K into a cheapo old car. It's almost always better to just get a new car at that point.

I have a small car payment on my car. I have pretty decent credit and I got a very low rate and the payment is worth the peice of mind knowing I will have a reliable car for at least the next 8 years (warranty goes up to 8 years).

luvindisneyworld
04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Congrats on your new vehicle