PDA

View Full Version : Polite request for US ebayers

SnowyPrincesses:)
03-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I as a Canadian can often not purchase some of the stuff I'd like to buy on ebay because many people will not ship to Canada, This is fine and probably saves me a fair bit of money. :blush: I want to make sure that everyone understands though that when it is written "Will sell to the Americas" That that means all of North America and South America, not just the US. I can see where that would be confusing but b4 I buy from someone I always check to make SURE they will ship to me. I shop through Ebay.ca so if your listing is just for the US it will not show up. Quite often the response I get to my polite e-mail (inculding one recieved today) is...

"Even though my ad CLEARLY states that I will not sell outside of the US I may make an exception. S&H would be $16.00."

Might I add this was an auction for a $2.00 pin. I find that at least half of the items available for sale on Ebay.ca are not actually available to me. The kicker is when people who have improperly listed they're items act like I am a big dumb annoyance for checking. Some of my e mails have been downright mean and it really adds insult to injury. I appreciate all of the great sales I have had with so many great e bay'rs and I just wanted to make more people aware of this problem. Even if someone doesn't ship here I would rather them be flattered that I found they're item to be appealing than think horrible things because there is a misunderstanding over the wording of an ad. :confused3

Also anyone with the words 'Will ship to the Americas' might want to make sure that that's what you do otherwise you are paying for your ad to receive unwanted attention- and in my case often admiration. (big sniff)

Thanks for your time, SNOWY :lovestruc

pyrxtc
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm sorry people are doing that to you. I always list "I will ship to America's". I have no problem shipping anywhere as long as I know how to do it. A lot of people won't ship to Europe but it's the same as shipping to the US, just more money. I have sent my share of packages oversea's and all I have done is gone to my local poat office. No big deal! I hope poeple read your thread and follow through with their offer. If I were you, I wouldn't even e-mail prior since they already said they would ship to the America's and you would be the winner fair and square. As long as you don't complain about the shipping then it should be as easy as winning the auction.

fourfoxesinpa
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd like to make a polite request also. If you don't accept credit cards through PayPal, please put that in your item description somewhere. In the last week, I've had two people deny my credit card payment because "the Paypal fees are too high for credit cards" despite the fact that the PayPal logo and all the credit cards were pictured as acceptable forms of payment in the auction description. I lost three shipping days because of a poor listing description.

SnowyPrincesses:)
03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Big sigh of relief! I was a little worried I would get flamed! ;) I think in future when I send e mails reg. posted items I will explain the reason why I am unsure as to the actual shipping destinations so that at least they'll understand. Then maybe I won't get so verbally beat up about it. :rolleyes: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had some difficulty...

Today I saw an ad that specified NO PAYPAL ONLY CHEQUES AND MONEY ORDERS Right above the paypal sign and all the paypal info. LOL. :rolleyes1

Colinsmom
03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
I'd like to make a polite request also. If you don't accept credit cards through PayPal, please put that in your item description somewhere. In the last week, I've had two people deny my credit card payment because "the Paypal fees are too high for credit cards" despite the fact that the PayPal logo and all the credit cards were pictured as acceptable forms of payment in the auction description. I lost three shipping days because of a poor listing description.

They are the wrong ones, not you. They are not supposed to use the Paypal logo unless they accept credit cards via Paypal. If they only accept funded Paypal, then they should NOT use the Paypal logo but explain themselves in the auction/payment description.

To the OP, at least you ask before bidding!! Perhaps you can open your e-mails with something like "I see that in your auction, you will ship within North and South Americas. Please let me know how much shipping will be to Canada." Of course, those who are not up on their geography may still give rude responses, but please don't take it personally!!

DMRick
03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I do all my auctions through Vendio, and can choose US, Canada, etc, so that makes it much more clear. We are considering dropping Canada, however, at this time, since shipping is often taking more than a week- 10 days, and my Canadian buyers think it's taking too long. I also have no protection through Paypal for chargebacks, because it's out of the country, and I can't get the inexpensive tracking I can get for the US. It's a shame, since we have had a lot of sales there, but responding to the emails is getting too time consuming.

gary4jenn
03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Regarding the Paypal logo thing:
When I first started selling on ebay, I took the advice of several Disers and did not take credit cards but did sign up with paypal to take the bank transfers.

So off I went and listed my items and did state in my term that I do not take CC- only bank transfers.

I had many people try to pay me with CC and got mad when I had to refuse the payment. Even though I had stated it in my Terms, they see the logo and expect to pay by CC.

So I tried to get the paypal logo to be removed at the top of my auctions but I could not. It was so frustrating that I just gave up and decided to take CC. So even if the seller doesn't take CC, that dran logo still shows up if they take bank payments thru it.

Fire14
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
I do all my auctions through Vendio, and can choose US, Canada, etc, so that makes it much more clear. We are considering dropping Canada, however, at this time, since shipping is often taking more than a week- 10 days, and my Canadian buyers think it's taking too long. I also have no protection through Paypal for chargebacks, because it's out of the country, and I can't get the inexpensive tracking I can get for the US. It's a shame, since we have had a lot of sales there, but responding to the emails is getting too time consuming.
It's both ways to/from Canada
I just received a pkg. MOn. that was mailed from Toronto, ON. It only took 3 weeks to reach me and I'm in Ohio. I could have drove there faster.

Ilovestitch
03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
I used to only ship to the US, but last week I listed 15 items and said I would ship worldwide, Global Priority for $8-$10 depending on the item. WOW- I got SO many more bids and emails for buyers- a lot of my items went for much higher than I thought they would. Global Priority supplies are free at your post office (or order them free off usps.com) so its really easy.

Debbie
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
my Canadian buyers think it's taking too long

That's too bad. I always expect a parcel to take 3 weeks or so. Just chalk it up to the good ol' Canadian Post Office. :confused3

I could have drove there faster.

::yes:: We learn to live with it. BTW, it's not ALWAYS like that! I sent my DD a parcel on a Monday. Our mail leaves our village at 5:00, so I know that that is when it left. My DD received it on Wednesday. Go figure! :crazy:

Fire14
03-31-2005, 08:02 PM
That's too bad. I always expect a parcel to take 3 weeks or so. Just chalk it up to the good ol' Canadian Post Office. :confused3

::yes:: We learn to live with it. BTW, it's not ALWAYS like that! I sent my DD a parcel on a Monday. Our mail leaves our village at 5:00, so I know that that is when it left. My DD received it on Wednesday. Go figure! :crazy:

Oh I totally understand and know thats not always the case. I vist Canada enough to know stuff can get to states quick or it can take it's good ole time.

Alicia Gist
04-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I have shipped to Canada about three times. I started shipping there because someone asked if I would. I have a question on the form: Are you supposed to list the item as a gift? I have found that shipping was not a whole lot more. That person was trying to make money on $16 shipping.

DMRick
04-01-2005, 10:11 AM
I have shipped to Canada about three times. I started shipping there because someone asked if I would. I have a question on the form: Are you supposed to list the item as a gift? I have found that shipping was not a whole lot more. That person was trying to make money on $16 shipping.

The shipping cost wouldn't be any different, but sometimes people out of the country ask for that, since it might lower their customs costs. You are signing an official form saying that you are being truthful, and if you mark it as a gift, you are not. There is another thread about this, and some people feel it's ok to lie, and some don't. I don't.

crazymomof4
04-01-2005, 10:56 AM
I want to make sure that everyone understands though that when it is written "Will sell to the Americas" That that means all of North America and South America, not just the US.

Geography has never been one of the bragging points of the educational system in the US! Sorry! :blush:

Similarly confused people say they are going to EPCOT but NOT to Disneyworld! :rolleyes:

SEAlla
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I want to make sure that everyone understands though that when it is written "Will sell to the Americas" That that means all of North America and South America, not just the US.

I have seen several sellers put down "Americas" as shipping. I think the consider the United States as the "Americas" because I see that they state that they will not ship outside of the US.

For some reason this really bugs me. I want to email them and tell the we (as the US individually) are not the "Americas", and if you are going to put that in your auction expect to have international bidders.

Alicia Gist
04-01-2005, 01:45 PM
ok. I guess I look stupid or really naive. The last person that I shipped to asked me to mark it as a gift. Do they pay the custom fees once it arrives at their house or do you pay them upfront?

Amberle3
04-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Canada Customs likes to tack on a fee for items purchased out of the country. I had a Christmas gift sent to me from a friend in the US, and since it wasn't marked as "gift" I got hit with customs fees. Somehow it just doesn't feel right to pay $35 to be able to get my Christmas gift from the post office.

I think with some of the courier services (like UPS) the sender can prepay for the customs fees.

jdk5672
04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Global Priority for $8-$10 depending on the item. WOW- I got SO many more bids and emails for buyers- a lot of my items went for much higher than I thought they would. Global Priority supplies are free at your post office (or order them free off usps.com) so its really easy.

If you don't mind my asking, what sort of items are you finding do well globally? I sell mostly books and housewares so I'm not sure if these are the right type of items....

Thanks!

hockey mom
04-01-2005, 06:21 PM
As a Canadian that buys alot of pins I am grateful for those who will ship to us but really don't understand the reasons to not. I usually pay around $4-$7 for shipping and when I recieve the package the stamp is usually about .89 cents. I recently asked a seller if they would ship to Canada and his answer was no- the auction closed with no sale.

As for customs we have to pay duty on any package valued over $50.

Debbie
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I've been very fortunate. I always email and ask before I bid, and I think that I've only been refused once. (pins, pins, pics and pins) Generally, I've not had to pay anything extra for shipping, although some people will tack on an extra dollar.

crazymomof4
04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I used to only ship to the US, but last week I listed 15 items and said I would ship worldwide, Global Priority for $8-$10 depending on the item. WOW- I got SO many more bids and emails for buyers- a lot of my items went for much higher than I thought they would. Global Priority supplies are free at your post office (or order them free off usps.com) so its really easy.

After reading this thread (most of it anyway) I would like to begin shipping internationally too. I've only been selling for 3 weeks now so I'm a bit apprehensive about going outside of my "comfort zone".

Do I just put at the bottom of my listing "Will ship internationally using Global Priority" How do I calculate shipping OR how does the buyer calculate shipping?
(I always use the "Calculate Shipping" option for my auctions)

DMRick
04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
When you set up your auction, there is a place to put where you will ship. I also put in my description, that out of the country needs to email first for shipping costs. (I have costs listed for just UK, CAN, US). I have never had any problems with out of the US buyers..except (sorry) Canada. Because I have some really great customers, who buy often, I hate to stop shipping there, but the few who have given me grief, have really been a pain. I"m sure some of you Canadian sellers have had people from teh US who were a pain.

Oh, you prob don't want to use UPS, because they often have a steep charge to the buyer for filling out custom forms..and that really can be upsetting.

crazymomof4
04-01-2005, 08:11 PM
I also put in my description, that out of the country needs to email first for shipping costs. (I have costs listed for just UK, CAN, US).

So if I get an email from an out of US bidder can I go to usps.com and find the shipping costs to their country? Do I have to have a "country code" or get a specific region where they live?

seashoreCM
04-01-2005, 10:26 PM
If you specify you take PayPal but do not include in your item description any restrictions such as no credit card version of the PayPal payment -- then if you reject a buyer's PayPal payment (or any other payment conforming to the item description) that buyer is no longer obligated to buy the item.

But it is up to the buyer to ask about shipping costs before bidding, to avoid nasty surprises or rude awakenings. My experience is that shipments to Canada cost around USD $10. more for insurance compared with the least cost uninsured method.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

DMRick
04-02-2005, 02:09 AM
So if I get an email from an out of US bidder can I go to usps.com and find the shipping costs to their country? Do I have to have a "country code" or get a specific region where they live?
It's very very simple..hopefully, this will take you there, so you can practice. I generally mail lighter stuff airmail letter post and the heavier stuff airmail parcel post. I add .50 for my materials (you might have to add more if you have to purchase a box).

Disneyland_emily
04-02-2005, 03:24 AM
One thing I noticed today is that I sold an item to a person in Japan- she contacted me before bidding and I estimated shipping using the calculator ebay has- When the auction was won I went through the "make invoice" and adjusted the shipping for her and she paid via paypal- Today when I shipped it via Global Priority it charged me the 1 lb rate (the package was 1 lb 5 oz) of 13 instead of the rate the calculator told me of 20 (which was the 2 lb rate- so I guess the calculator just rounds up the highest digit (I choose the 1-2 lb choice)

-em

Ilovestitch
04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what sort of items are you finding do well globally? I sell mostly books and housewares so I'm not sure if these are the right type of items....

Thanks!

Trendy clothes and shoes- Abercrombie, Hollister, Roxy Quiksilver brand stuff. I guess they don't have those stores overseas.

lilsonicfan
04-02-2005, 10:12 PM
As for customs we have to pay duty on any package valued over $50.

Not to hijack, but this is actually wrong. Duty/fees/GST/PST can be charged on any merchandise valued over $20 Canadian, and on any gift valued over $60 Canadian.

AlexTina
04-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I ship worldwide and have neve had any problems. As far as I'm concerned Canada is the easiest place to ship to outside of the U.S. and it doesn't cost much more at all. Things seem to get there just as fast also. I would say easily 1/4 of all of my sales go to Canada.

Tina
Ebay: setab28

~Kathie
04-02-2005, 11:51 PM
I sell a lot of Disney pins and only ship them Global Priority flat rate worldwide. The small flat rate envelope is perfect for 1-4 pins (depending on the size of the pins) and the buyers usually receive the package in 5 days.

I used to ship air mail or surface (ground) mail but many of my packages took forever to arrive and when /if they did arrive the item was damaged. Now I only ship Global Priority (for items without insurance) or Global Express (for items with insurance) and state so in my auctions.

I have never had a problem shipping either method to Canada or anywhere else.

Taja
04-03-2005, 09:56 AM
My listings include U.S. shipping only, but I include the option for bidders outside the U.S. to contact me with their shipping address for a shipping quote before bidding. I clearly states that all customs fees and charges are the responsibility of the bidder and that the package value will be listed at the closing auction price.

Most of the things I sell are too bulky or heavy for shipment outside the U.S. Although I had one shipment to the UK that cost more than double the closing auction price. And the winning bidder said it was still a good value! It was ladies plus size coordinates (6 pieces), which are difficult to find where she lives. She wanted them for an upcoming DCL/WDW trip! :)