PDA

View Full Version : Ebay advice (Can I do this here?)

pyrxtc
03-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I just put something up on Ebay but I haven't done this much so can I get some advice on my page design ? My starting price is the lowest I'm willing to go since it was barely used and I have researched and similiar items sell for over $40 used and $55 new. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you !

Please let me know if I did anything wrong here. On another board I was on, we did this all the time.

My ebay name is Inliner730

CarolA
03-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't know anything about Ebay, but I went and looked. Personally I think those photos need work. It looks like a large blue blob.... they are too dark.

Of course not having kids I don't have clue what this is!

crazymomof4
03-31-2005, 09:51 AM
I agree with CarolA about the pictures.

My youngest is 4 so I'm not up with many new baby products and I couldn't tell what this is used for. Something to do with a stroller I'd imagine.

Also, something I learned real quick. Pictures taken on a plain white background look more clean and professional and highlight the product more.

My first auction I took the pictures of my lot of girls clothing on my down comforter, as you did. After listing I realized that it may skeeve people out to see a product lying on your bed covers. I went out and bought 2 large posterboards, each with black on one side, white on the other. I take all of my pics using those as the background and I love the way my pics turn out! I place light colored items on the black and all other items on the white.

Colinsmom
03-31-2005, 11:50 AM
You should get bids at that starting price - that's very reasonable. How about adding a link to the product site so that people can read more about it if they want? I think that is legal on eBay as long as you are not linking to *your* retail site. And how about a close-up of the fabric? Similar to what crazymomof4 suggested, I bought a big piece of neutral, cheap fleece. It cost me about $3. I do all of my eBay photos on it, or with it as a background. Even a clean, white sheet laid out on the floor does the trick (since once you crop the photo, it won't look like the photo was taken on your bedcovers).

DMRick
03-31-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure you are not suppose to have a link to your ebay page on the Dis, but you can put your eBay name in your message, and people can go look it up.
I think it would sell better, if you took a picture of it in the cart, to show where it goes.

crazymomof4
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
How about adding a link to the product site so that people can read more about it if they want? I think that is legal on eBay as long as you are not linking to *your* retail site.

I have been wanting to do this in some of my auctions but wasn't sure if it was legal on eBay.

Can someone confirm for sure whether or not this is OK to do. :flower:

:umbrella:

DMRick
03-31-2005, 01:20 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links-faq.html

Info on links

crazymomof4
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks DMRick!
Looks like it's not allowed. Oh well.

pyrxtc
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
What if I made a reccomendation to look at another auction that is directly from the maker? Can I do that? The maker has quite a few on auction and they could see how it sits in the cart and the up close detail fabric on her auction. Can I do that ?

DMRick
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
What if I made a reccomendation to look at another auction that is directly from the maker?
I don't believe you are supposed to link, even to another person's auction. I know if you were linking to my auction, to take advantage of my pics and description, to sell your own item, and I found out, I would report you, and let eBay decide if it's allowed.

BethR
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Links to your ebay Auctions are NOT permitted on the DIS.

From the eBay Thread at the Top of The Page (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=528913) :

***LINKS TO YOUR OWN EBAY AUCTION IS NOT ALLOWED!****

This is considered a free ad and no, it's not allowed.

Hope that this clears up THAT question. :)

pyrxtc
03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Links to your ebay Auctions are NOT permitted on the DIS.

From the eBay Thread at the Top of The Page (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=528913) :

Hope that this clears up THAT question. :)

Thank you! I have deleted my link. Sorry!

polkadotladybug
03-31-2005, 10:24 PM
i think it looks fine - I think that with things like that, people pretty much know what they are looking for by the name, general picture and description - I'm a big fan of clear photos, but I think you are fine - looks like your auction is doing great too! :cool1:

pyrxtc
04-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Thank you ! I actually have someone who e-mailed me and asked if I wanted more pictures of the item to put iin my auction. She has pics of it in a carriage and close-ups of the fabric. I think this fabric is not available anymore so she can't use it to sell her new ones. Aren't people wonderful !