PDA

View Full Version : Totally stressing out about Christmas vacation!!

LilMamiBella
03-30-2005, 10:45 PM
We've decided that we want to go back to Disneyworld. We've only been once and that was in January! We want to go some time in December. We are new owners at SSR. So, I'm thinking we could either go from 9-15th or 23rd-29th. But, its been so hard for me to come to a decision. The pros of going from the 9-15 are low crowds, less points, and possibly see MVMCP. The cons of going 9-15 is not being there at Xmas and my son will be missing 6-7 days of school. He'll be in first grade next year. It wasn't a big deal that he was out of school this year.
The pros of going at Christmas time is being there at Christmas and also my son will be out of school for the holiday. The cons would be not being at Christmas, huge crowds, no MVMCP, and more points..but I suppose there will still be a parade. We've only been once and that was in a January so I can't imagine how it'll be at Christmas. I feel like if we go earlier than it'll be kinda boring to have Christmas at home..we probably won't have many presents for the kids to open since we paying a lot of $$$.

brivers222
03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Have you tried to book your ressie for Dec 23-29th yet as you are well within your booking window for SSR now? That is a very high time for DVC. This may also help in deciding when to go!

frannn
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
your DS's teacher to see if he would be missing a lot. If not, I would choose the earlier time. If you continue to go two times within a year, and since you are a DVC member (new discount off APs), I would not hesitate to buy an AP for each member of your family. Then it would not cost you as much. My DH can only get off during off season, and I actually prefer going then since it is less crowded (but I've never been in Dec). We will have to take DD11 out of school again, but she is a strong student, and I believe this family bonding time is very important. Any time at WDW is a good time, but I think we all have a better time with smaller crowds.

LilMamiBella
03-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Have you tried to book your ressie for Dec 23-29th yet as you are well within your booking window for SSR now? That is a very high time for DVC. This may also help in deciding when to go!

No, I haven't booked yet..I still haven't figured out which time is best.

LilMamiBella
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
your DS's teacher to see if he would be missing a lot. If not, I would choose the earlier time. If you continue to go two times within a year, and since you are a DVC member (new discount off APs), I would not hesitate to buy an AP for each member of your family. Then it would not cost you as much. My DH can only get off during off season, and I actually prefer going then since it is less crowded (but I've never been in Dec). We will have to take DD11 out of school again, but she is a strong student, and I believe this family bonding time is very important. Any time at WDW is a good time, but I think we all have a better time with smaller crowds.

He'll be in first grade in Dec '05. I definitely plan on the ap's..Its really not the cost that is the problem. Its more about what time I should go. I feel like if I go earlier that I may miss out on Christmas. But, if I do go at Christmas it may be too crowded. I think my son will be ok with school.

Coach Rick
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok, I'll chime in as a tacher speaking. It does drive us crazy to have students out of school for weeks at a time. It definately interupts the flow. Of course I am speaking of high school, because that is all I've ever taught. I agree family bonding time is every important. I have three children of my own and family vacations are very important to us, but when they are taken out for vacation there is the week before that all they think about is leaving for vacation, add to that the time of year. Kids are off the wall that time of year anyway, add a great vacation and you have a real concentration problem. Then there is the week after they return when they are coming down from that high. I have actually graphed these effects on grades, and there is a noticable difference on average. Of course the amount of change depends on the child. I have never taken my kids out for anything more than a day for vacation purposes. I am not trying to criticize those that do this. I'm only reporting the facts from a teachers eye.

LilMamiBella
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
The mvmcp ended last year on the 20th so it could end the same date this year. So, if I do go at Christmas then we'd miss the party. What activities do they do on Christmas Day that they don't do on the first part of the month?

Mary Anne
03-31-2005, 02:39 PM
There are no major activies on Christmas Day. However we were there that time of the year and loved having Christmas Eve in Epcot seeing all the Santa's and then doing the Candlight procession. Personally, I'd go at Christmas itself. You can still get a small type tree for your room. My kids always talk about the Christmas at Disney. Also if it's points, OKWest points are slightly lower that same time period. Perhaps that might help. I would also call the DVC TODAY and see exactly what is available. You don't have to actually book it, but it might make the decision for you.

sanibelover
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I would take your son out of school and go earlier. The only thing I'm basing that statement on is how crowded the parks will be over Christmas. If you have never been, it could be a real shock!!!

I know many people don't agree with taking your kids out of school, but what is your son going to remember? That week in first grade or the week you spent at WDW????

Cheshire Figment
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
During the 9-15 period you are definitely in value season and the parks are not crowded. In addition you mght find that you can get involved in the taping of the Christmas Parade and can watch (and tape it) on Christmas day at home.

CheapMom
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I have gone twice during that 2nd to 3rd week in December and it was great. That is what I would do.
We had only gone off season until last June and I was shocked at the crowds and how much less enjoyable the whole experience was because of them. Christmas is supposed to worse than summer. There is no way I would pay Christmas prices to fight those crowds.

rachael95
03-31-2005, 03:25 PM
We went this past Christmas and would not go that week again. They were closing the parks they were so packed in there. At times it was hard just walking down the street and we _only_ went to Epcot and MGM, I'd be terrified at the crowds in Magic Kingdom at Christmas.

ckoncurat
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
We went in early december last year- my oldest DDs are in K and 2nd grade. We were very responsible about informing their teachers and completing make up work, got the absense approved by the schools, and had no problem.
My older daughters teacher gave her a cute disney trip journal to fill out and turn in after her return. It was a wonderful time to go- the MVMCP was the best thing ever, the epcot candlelight processional was also wonderful, and we had minmal crowds- we never waited more than 15 minutes anywhere. Personally, I HATE crowds, and would not consider going to disney on a holiday week. Our christmas after we returned was peaceful and faith-centered, not a let-down.

LilMamiBella
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I just made ressies. They had the days available and I'll only be using 84 points. I went ahead with the Dec 9-15 date. I can't wait! :)

poohj80
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
I feel like if we go earlier than it'll be kinda boring to have Christmas at home..
We found quite the contrary! We have been to WDW twice in early December and we always find ourselves bringing the Christmas spirit home with us.

Mary Anne
03-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Glad to hear you got your reservations! Now just sit back and plan.

firetaz
03-31-2005, 11:18 PM
We have been at WDW in early December twice. The last time was Dec 04 for grand gathering with 13 people. The kids were able to get their homework done when we got home. The holiday decorations are beautiful. And with lower crowds are more enjoyable to see. Definately do the candlelight processional. One thing we didn't like this last trip was the temperatures, they were in the uppper 50's most of the trip. But it was better than the 20's in Illinois. Have a good trip.