PDA

View Full Version : Kid turning 3 in May, going to WDW June...

techmonkey
03-30-2005, 08:13 PM
My youngest is turning 3 in May. We go to WDW June 11th. I'm seriously considering stretching the truth about his age. $250 or so bucks for a 3 year old seems a little bit steep to me. Does WDW ask for proof of age?

CarolA
03-30-2005, 08:17 PM
No, but.... if your kid looks three they can ask you and do you want to lie in front of the kid.

Plus you can pretty much depend on the kid to out you! I was once on a flight where a woman was trying to pass a three year old off as a lap child. The gate agent leaned down to the kid and asked him how old he was... Little boy proudly announces THREEE! BUSTED!

dreams4disney
03-30-2005, 09:03 PM
I have a different worry. My son is 2 and will be two while we are there in June. He will turn three in July and I am afraid that they will think I am telling a fib about his age. He is not very small and he will only be about 4 weeks from being three. I am also worried about PS's that have been made with him being two but maybe eating as much as a three year old since he is so near that age.

Deb & Bill
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Just do the right thing and you will be fine. Pay if you need to and don't if you don't. Just be honest about it all.

DisneyPhD
03-30-2005, 09:18 PM
This past trip we bought our almost 4 year old DD a AP (along with us) and we noticed that we forgot it a few times (it was such a pain doing hers then the stroller.) So a few times we just skipped it to see what would happen. (after all it was already paid for, not like we were getting away with anything, most times it was when we were park hopping already) anyway we were never onced asked for her ticket. Never even given a second glance.

It seems to me if you stroll them in they don't seem to think about it at all.

Now she was almost 4, but she is a tiny kid. Still she doesn't look like a baby at all, after all she has hair down to her butt!

Debbie
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
There are no..."but"s from me.
Does WDW ask for proof of age?
No.
Have a great time!

Colinsmom
03-30-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a different worry. My son is 2 and will be two while we are there in June. He will turn three in July and I am afraid that they will think I am telling a fib about his age. He is not very small and he will only be about 4 weeks from being three. I am also worried about PS's that have been made with him being two but maybe eating as much as a three year old since he is so near that age.

Just bring a copy of his birth certificate. Chances are, if anyone asks you, they will believe you, but consider it a small piece of insurance. You are telling the truth, and have the paper to prove it!!

To the OP: As a Disney shareholder, I'd appreciate if you would be honest about your child's age. You could have scheduled the trip before his birthday if you didn't want to pay for him - that's what we are trying to do with our now 2-year-old.

techmonkey
03-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Just bring a copy of his birth certificate. Chances are, if anyone asks you, they will believe you, but consider it a small piece of insurance. You are telling the truth, and have the paper to prove it!!

To the OP: As a Disney shareholder, I'd appreciate if you would be honest about your child's age. You could have scheduled the trip before his birthday if you didn't want to pay for him - that's what we are trying to do with our now 2-year-old.
I had no choice in the schedule. The "vacation" is part of a trip I have to take to do a job for my company. They set the schedule, not me. I'm just trying to find a way to turn "Daddy's going to be gone for a week" into "we're all going to Disneyworld".

I really do understand your position. I hope that you understand mine. There is no price difference between a 3 year old and a 10 year old. For me, that makes a big difference as far as "can we do WDW or not" is concerned. The family is coming with me no matter what at this point, the dates for my work have been set and a hotel to hold all of us has been booked. The question is do they get to go to Disney. I'll probably bite the bullet and shell out the money so we can all go, but I don't think I'll feel any better about it than "stretching the truth" about the age of our youngest. On one hand I did the "right" thing...but on the other I spent hundreds of dollars for something he won't remember and could have gotten for free just 3 weeks earlier.

BTW, if you ask him how old he'll be he insists it's "me two" even though we've been telling him he'll be three. In fact he gets quite upset if you keep telling him otherwise.

MrsPete
03-30-2005, 11:48 PM
You knew he'd turn three in May. You chose to plan your vacation for June. Disney's ticket prices and policies are well-published. I don't see any room for argument. He's three, and he needs a ticket.

the kabuki
03-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Ooh, hoo I'll be watchin' this one http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ernaehrung/food-smiley-007.gif

Let the flaming begin....http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-032.gif

techmonkey
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
You knew he'd turn three in May. You chose to plan your vacation for June. Disney's ticket prices and policies are well-published. I don't see any room for argument. He's three, and he needs a ticket.
What part of "I didn't choose the dates" did you not understand...was it the "I did not choose the dates part"?

It's almost like I'm asking the kids to pick up toys at this point...I'm talking but no one is listening.

Disneymomofsix
03-31-2005, 12:05 AM
As a single parent of six (five are adopted - I did not give birth six times), I can understand how you feel. I am taking my youngest three to WDW for the first time this summer (we last went two months before they were placed with me in 2002). This year I am able to stay at POR with my parents keeping one child in their room. Next year when all are over three, we will have to get two rooms. I hate it - I know they have the regulations because of fire codes and all that, but I don't want to pay the extra money when all would be very happy sleeping in one room. I think you should do what you feel is right to you and not worry about what any of us say.

DisneyDotty
03-31-2005, 12:12 AM
You never know what will happen...We went to WDW in June, ds turned 3 in April...Checked in and CM asked how old son was...We told her he turned 3 two months ago--she said since his birthday was only 2 months ago, she wouldn't charge for him. We said, really, we would pay for his ticket, but she insisted there was no need to do so...So go with the idea that you'll pay, but who knows? :goodvibes

familyoffive
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Wow, how interesting to ask here if it's okay to cheat the Disney Corporation on an admission fee! Disney will allow you to not pay if you check in the day before your child turns 3(good for that entire stay). However, they require a paid admission at age 3. You are going after your child turns 3, so the answer is obvious- Buy A Ticket! If buying the ticket is a deal breaker(it sounds as if your company is paying for lodging), what is your plan for meals? Food is very expensive and your child will cost for meals, Disney starts charging for sit down meals at age 3.Orlando in June is humid, hot and expect lots of storms. You will not want to spend all day outside in the sun(when it's not storming). Prepare to take afternoon breaks to get out of the heat. :umbrella:

techmonkey
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
You never know what will happen...We went to WDW in June, ds turned 3 in April...Checked in and CM asked how old son was...We told her he turned 3 two months ago--she said since his birthday was only 2 months ago, she wouldn't charge for him. We said, really, we would pay for his ticket, but she insisted there was no need to do so...So go with the idea that you'll pay, but who knows? :goodvibes
That is what I'm leaning toward now. Tickets for everyone except the youngest in advance and just see what the say when I tell them he just turned 3 a few weeks ago. Odds are my 3 day pass will only be used for 1 "day" with the schedule I have, but I plan on using it to do stuff with the family at night with the shows.

Bleh, maybe I should just call Disney and see what they say. I'm not trying to cheat them, but I don't want to pay more than I have too. The Wife plans on 3 days of Disney...I have to work a minimum of 2 but am buying a full 3 day expiry hopper anyway...just incase it goes well and i'm in and out in a day..plus I can join them in the evening stuff regardless of how the job goes.

SnoWhiteRabbit
03-31-2005, 01:20 AM
What part of "I didn't choose the dates" did you not understand...was it the "I did not choose the dates part"?

It's almost like I'm asking the kids to pick up toys at this point...I'm talking but no one is listening.

Wow, that's a bit harsh. Which part of admission tickets are required for 3 year olds don't you understand? ;) Disney is talking.....

You may not have chosen the dates of the business trip, but you are deciding whether or not to take the family to Disney during that business trip.

These boards are a great place for info about meals, rides and such, but questions about "stretching the truth" bring out strong opinions -- as you've probably noticed. :earseek: Good luck on your decision of how to handle things. I hope you and your family enjoy their.

SnoWhiteRabbit
03-31-2005, 01:37 AM
My youngest is turning 3 in May. We go to WDW June 11th. I'm seriously considering stretching the truth about his age. $250 or so bucks for a 3 year old seems a little bit steep to me. Does WDW ask for proof of age?

Actually, I'm not sure where you got your figures, but "$250 or so" is a bit steep sinc eyoua re mentioning a 3 day trip. You can get a child's 3 day pass for as low as $145. (non park hopping)

If you want real budget advice (since you've come to the budget board), I would buy everyone in the family non-expiring 10 day tickets. Ot would be a bit costly upfront for this three day trip, but you would all have 7 days left over for a very good price that you won't be able to get otherwise. And if you don't come back for 2 or 3 years, park prices will have only increased. I think an adult 10 day non expiring, hopping pass is about $366. (If you search this forum, people are buying passes for less from certain reliable ticket sources, too) and a child's one is about $321. That ends up being only $176 for 7 more days, if you were going to need to spend at least $145 for the child!

Anyhow, you can double check the numbers on www.allears.net and be sure to sign up for her newsletter for additional discounts. That's another site with great info, as is www.mousesavers.com

Hope the info is helpful. Personally, I'm in favor of searching real hard for any honest discounts I can find. Good luck!

Doesney
03-31-2005, 05:21 AM
To the OP: As a Disney shareholder, I'd appreciate if you would be honest about your child's age. .

Are you for real?

To the OP, do whatever you are comfortable with. I know they will not even blink an eye.

BethR
03-31-2005, 05:38 AM
I think that the OP has gotten the answer that they need. And since this thread will only get worse, it will be closed.