PDA

View Full Version : $1800 for four days??

ryan840
03-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I thought I was getting great deals left and right, until I totaled it all up... We are going to WDW May1-5, it will be my husband, out (then) 21 month old son, and I. Here is a break down of our costs- tell me if I did good or bad... Airfare from Detroit to Orlando for two adults $301 roundtrip, (2) 2 day park hopper passes $253, rental car at airport $125 (including anticipated gas costs), four nights at OKW $420, food budget $400 including ps's at CM's (character dinner), Ohana and CMC (character breakfast), souvenier budget $300- total cost $1799! Frist trip to WDW in 13+ years- Priceless! (sorry, had to do that) This seems so high to me- am I just experiencing sticker shock? I suppose I could cut the budget in a lot of places, since I've only been there once before and it is such a short stay, I wanted to make the most of it...

dturner
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, you could cut costs by staying in a value resort but I don't think it would make THAT MUCH difference.

It's just expensive, last time I went there was me and DS who was 6 at the time and we stayed for 5 nights/6 days at All Star Sports, went in September and got a package deal - Fall Savings and I spent right at $2,000 with airfare, spending money and the hotel and tickets for two people.

I try and go for the cheapest possible and that was about it for 2 people unless of course you stay off site which I won't do.

ryan840
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I was originally staying at ASMo, it was $380 with my AAA discount... I would have had to pay $10 a night for a fridge, making the total $420, exactly what I'm paying for OKW, which comes with an entire kitchenette to cut costs a bit more... We were originally going to stay off-site, but like you decided against it, mainly because we weren't originally panning on renting a car so we wanted to use Diney transportation. (Which we decided against because of our short stay and how long it takes to get from place to place- that's a lot of precious time lost, especially if you consider that you have to leave three hours early to get to the airport using a shuttle system...) I wasn't really trying to go the cheapest route possible, but I didn't think it'd add up to this much!

meandthree
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I actually think that is a pretty good deal. We went in March and there are five of us and we spent $2,800 and the villa was free. My husband and I are going in September for our anniversary and it is going to be about $2,500 for three nights, of course this is staying concierge at GF but I think you are getting a good deal.

ryan840
03-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Geez, I'm really going to be in for it when I plan our next trip and our son isn't free anymore...

brivers222
03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Have fun fellow michigander!

Let me first start off by saying an EXCELLENT choice in dates. We went May 2-11 last year... Low crowds and awesome weather.

CONGRATS, Our anniversary is May 2nd... We stayed a night at POR to celebrate (that was $153.00 out of pocket I am not including in our budget)

I can't remember 100% of our costs but I know for 4 adults the cost was $4,000 for the following:

6 nights at ASMv
3 nights at AKL
4 - length of stay tickets.

We book 100% through AAA, but that was before I realized there a specials-a-plenty on the internet that would have made it cheaper.

Another cost you are assuming that we did not was Flight. We drove from Detroit to Orlando (cost us $150 round trip for gas and two nights total at "raunchy" hotels for $20.00/night) Granted that was gas prices 1 year ago so what is that about a $.60 per gallon raise in this years budget?

As the dates get closer it is better to NOT even try to find cheaper prices (UNLESS YOU CAN ACTUALLY ADJUST AND GET THEM). You are just asking for disappointment as "deals" are bound to come and go.

Just go, enjoy your time and get the heck away from this horrible Michigan weather <--- well today is actually like 70 so I can't complain to much :confused3

ryan840
03-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Have fun fellow michigander!

Let me first start off by saying an EXCELLENT choice in dates. We went May 2-11 last year... Low crowds and awesome weather.

CONGRATS, Our anniversary is May 2nd... We stayed a night at POR to celebrate (that was $153.00 out of pocket I am not including in our budget)

I can't remember 100% of our costs but I know for 4 adults the cost was $4,000 for the following:

6 nights at ASMv
3 nights at AKL
4 - length of stay tickets.

We book 100% through AAA, but that was before I realized there a specials-a-plenty on the internet that would have made it cheaper.

Another cost you are assuming that we did not was Flight. We drove from Detroit to Orlando (cost us $150 round trip for gas and two nights total at "raunchy" hotels for $20.00/night) Granted that was gas prices 1 year ago so what is that about a $.60 per gallon raise in this years budget?

As the dates get closer it is better to NOT even try to find cheaper prices (UNLESS YOU CAN ACTUALLY ADJUST AND GET THEM). You are just asking for disappointment as "deals" are bound to come and go.

Just go, enjoy your time and get the heck away from this horrible Michigan weather <--- well today is actually like 70 so I can't complain to much :confused3

Hello! I opened the Einstein Bros bagels in Northville about 7? years ago...I live in Warren right not, but hope to get out ASAP! I grew up in Berkely and spent all my time in Royal Oak... I can't WAIT to get outside today, but I'm waiting for my husband to get home... We originally planned on using AAA and then I found the disboards :teeth: and we have changed our ressies twice since then! (We won't do it again since we rented points) We would have considered driving if we were staying longer, but for such a short vacation, it wouldn't be worth it. Our anniversary is May 18th, so I don't think we'll celebrate it down there, maybe unofficially... Since you are from around here, let me ask your opinion on something- We want to do something over the weekend when we get back (we come home on Thur, my husband works on Fri, and then we have the weekend free) to continue our vacation, but are going to be pretty tapped out money wise... We thought about driving up to Macinac Island, or going camping, but the weather in May is still pretty cold... (our wedding day way FREEZING!) Any ideas? Our son is going to be 21 months old then...

brivers222
03-30-2005, 05:30 PM
My cousin-in-law just became assistant manager at the Einstein Bagels in Troy. My wife works for HoneyBaked Ham in Birmingham.

Hotel Baronette in NOVI (http://www.hotelbaronette.com)

They have a romance package (did this for valentines day last year) that is $200.00 even It includes a deluxe room, Dinner at the NOVI VI Chop house (the best darn food ever), Champaign, and then buffet breakfast in the morning. For the price you really can't beat it nor will you regret it in the morning.

Macinac Island could be a possibity because you can never really judge the weather around here. That trip is definitly do-able and not far at all, considering you are coming back from Florida :)

With that said you may just want to cuddle up infront of the TV and watch a movie, who knows a trip to WDW can be very tiring.

Rented points, must be talking about DVC... Now don't go falling in love with your room while you are down there! We took the DVC tour and then wham we fell in love with the rooms and accomidations and then on the way home decided to purchase. We are still awaiting our first trip home. Look like May 8-15 of 2006 will be our first trip. If this is your first time saying in DVC rooms you should be very impressed. OKW is a beautiful resort. We own at SSR but plan on spending quality time at OKW in the years to come!

The tax man didn't make us happy this year. It was my first full year being married and I didn't find out about the "MARRIED AT THE SINGLE HIGHEST RATE" withholding.... so needless to say we owe Mr. Man this year. But that is all changed and we are saving up for next year!

d4est
03-30-2005, 05:32 PM
we have changed our ressies twice since then! (We won't do it again since we rented points)
Do you mind if I ask how easy or difficult it was to rent points? It is one of my many considerations for our next trip. How do you know you are guaranteed? I mean, is it possible that the seller could take your money and run? Not that anyone from the dis would do such a thing! Just wondering. I am a little nervous about renting points, can ya tell?

disneylifer
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
We just got back and spent seven nights at the French Quarter with AP's for each of us (4) and the total was about $3700. And this was driving vs. flying.

Breakdown...
AP's - 1623
FQ - 812
DDE card - 50
Food - 675 (includes the trip to and from)
Gas - 188
Souvenirs - 350

You're doing ok.

ryan840
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I worked at the Troy store for a week or two, I think. I used to do all the store openings and in between I would go wherever they needed me. Troy was one of my favorite places to work because I loved the managers there. The Hotel Baronette sounds great, but maybe a couple weeks later for our anniversay... We found a really nice hotel in Mackinaw City for $52 a night, and it had an indoor pool, so I think we're leaning towards that... Trying to stay home and relax is great in theory, but for me is virtually impossible! I'm a SAHM with only one car right now, so as soon as my husband gets home I'm begging him to go out somewhere! :rotfl: As for buying into DVC, I don't think we have to worry about that just yet, we still live in an apartment! The tax man was extremely generous to us this year, but that'll never happen again!

ryan840
03-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Do you mind if I ask how easy or difficult it was to rent points? It is one of my many considerations for our next trip. How do you know you are guaranteed? I mean, is it possible that the seller could take your money and run? Not that anyone from the dis would do such a thing! Just wondering. I am a little nervous about renting points, can ya tell?
It was really easy to rent points, I posted a couple of questions that I had, they were answered, and I posted that I needed points and within a few hours I was all set. (well, I had found someone to rent from, but since the phone lines were closed for the weedend, I had to wait until Monday). I think the standard policy is to have your ressie made, then they give you the confirmation number and phone number so you can call to confirm, and when you do you pay the first half. Then when you receive your hard copies, you pay the rest. I paid through paypal, which I think (but I'm not sure) offers protection against them running with your money. I think an average price is $10/point, I paid $10.50 because my trip is only a month away and it is a BIG risk for the renter... I had one guy ask me for $12.00/point, which I politely declined.

d4est
03-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I think the standard policy is to have your ressie made, then they give you the confirmation number and phone number so you can call to confirm, and when you do you pay the first half. Then when you receive your hard copies, you pay the rest.
Thanks for the info. When you say "have your ressie made" do you mean thru disney or thru the renter? I am thinking I like the sound of this. I am guessing that I could get a studio at OKW for around $500 for five nights.

Do you know if you still qualify for the free magical express transportation when getting a room this way?

Maybe I need to mosey on over to the DVC boards and ask some questions. There is always more to learn on the dis! Thanks

the kabuki
03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Actually that sounds like a pretty good price. Your airfare's good, tixs you can't do much about, food allowance is decent. Rentals a good price.so the only thing you could change would be going to a value.

BTW-we stayed at POP and instead of renting a fridge, I stopped at Walmart's (we had a rental car) and bought a $17 cooler, pretty big with wheels, and used that for the week. Changed the ice in the evening, everything stayed cold and we were able to eat brkfst in the room.

ryan840
03-30-2005, 06:15 PM
It was made through the renter, then you will be able to call and confirm it. I believe that Magical Express is an option, but I'm not positive. There is a lot to learn on the DVC board, or you can check out my other threads. (I'd give you a link, but I need to head out the door, sorry!)

amshowers
03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
OKW is a very quiet,pretty resort.I would never switch to a value, way to noisey. I never stayed a value,but we took our kids over to see the big Buzz and Woody statues and it just seemed a little crazy.We rented points and for 100.00 a night it can't be beat.

ryan840
03-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I agree- it's the same as a value anyways, and AAA wasn't that big a discount, so unless you can come up with a code, you might as well stay at OKW. My husband wants a quieter resort anyway, the partypooper! :cool1:

zippehsmom
03-30-2005, 10:21 PM
ryan840,

Hi I'm from Michigan also, Rochester Hills. I was just wondering how you plan on getting to Mackinaw. Isn't it kind of a drive?

I just want to add another option to you. We have taken day trips to Frankenmuth. We spent the night at the Bavarian Inn. They have a great indoor pool/fun area. The next day we did some shopping at Birch Run. We had a great time. There is alot to see and do in Frankenmuth.

I know that you will probably go, go, go at Disney and may not want to drive that far. Frankenmuth would be a lot closer.

Good luck, and BTW I think you budget looks good. I'm budgeting about $2,500 for a 7 day visit this December (me, DH, DD2, DD6), we will stay at WL. DH will be going back home after 2 days. My DD will celebrate her 3rd birthday while there.

zippehsmom :flower: