PDA

View Full Version : Help....stupid ING question and posting questions

bunny213
03-29-2005, 09:49 AM
First - what is the circle under your name for when I look at a post? It's next to the triangle, with the exclaimation point in it. (and what is that for?)
I know that if I want to sign up for ING I need to contact someone...do I just pm them by there name on the post?
And for heavens sake....when the computer requires me to pick how I want my messages...what do I pick? xml, csv, or text?
Someday I'm going to figure this all out....I'd better hurry up before I miss the boat. thanks ahead of time!!!! Barb in Texas
I'm leaving for Disney May 1st.........can't wait!!!

belsayre
03-29-2005, 09:52 AM
hi
just click on the user name and it will give you the option to send a pm to someone:)

curlyjbs
03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
:wave2: Hi barb, the circle under your name lets people know if you are on or offline. I would pick TEXT. PM if you have any other questions or want info on ing.
~curly

disneychrista
03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
The ! - Triangle is to report an offensive message or something against posting guidelines. You would click the triangle to report.

polkadotladybug
03-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi,
Check your PM -

bunny213
03-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks again to you all.........for the info and the pm's. Now I need to just wait until after the 1st of the month to do it. (That's when my check goes into the bank). I'm excited about doing it.....and hopefully it'll be as easy for me as everyone says it's going to be. Have a great day! Barb

missmulan
03-29-2005, 02:38 PM
wow, how many PMs did you get?? just curious.

BethR
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
wow, how many PMs did you get?? just curious.

I'm curious too. Shouldn't be any since it is against board rules to PM or e-mail people requesting them to use you for a referral - and I am sure that most people know that.

missmulan
03-29-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm curious too. Shouldn't be any since it is against board rules to PM or e-mail people requesting them to use you for a referral - and I am sure that most people know that.

Unfortunately very few follow the rules. Each time I read an ING thread, there's always someone PM'ing someone about it. :sad2:

BethR
03-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately very few follow the rules. Each time I read an ING thread, there's always someone PM'ing someone about it. :sad2:

It is sad. :( We will try to keep a better eye on these things.

kdtwiss
03-30-2005, 08:55 AM
OK, while I completely understand the no solicitation rule, I would think how and why a person PMs another should be well, private. If one person wants a referral and another person can give a referral - why is that against the rules? People ask each other questions all the time and some people answer by PM. Is it not the same thing essentially to say - "does anyone want these coupons?, just pm me!" I really don't see the difference. I wholeheartedly agree with the policy of no solicitation as I would not want to come and wade through a million "ads" but I don't see the harm in two people hooking up - making a bit of $$ on both ends. It seems mutually agreeable at the least. Why not start a sticky thread where the only content of the post each person would write would JUST say - "looking" as in looking for referral or "joined" as in already joined Ing - have referrals to give. Honestly I just don't see the big deal - if you don't want to read the thread don't read it - if you want to join Ing, or want to get a referral - that is where to post.

I hope noone takes offense, I just really think PMs sent to people who are clearly open to them is not a bad thing.
JMHO :cheer2:

bunny213
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I feel so bad...I did not mean to "open a can of worms" here...you all are such wonderful people and I certainly didn't mean to cause anyone to break any rules. I've been reading about ING here...and after 3 years the little bit of money I have in a money market...hasn't gone anywhere. It's mostly there for emergencies...so I thought I would maybe move it. :guilty: I apoligise to anyone if it caused any "bumps".

disneychrista
03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I honestly think there is a misunderstanding here. I thought it was okay to PM to ask for someone to send you a referral? Is this no longer the case? How does one get a referral if not through a PM? I Know you can not "cold PM" someone asking them to use you as a referral, but now you can't even ask for a referral from someone?

pjlla
03-30-2005, 10:54 AM
It is perfectly okay to open an ING account WITHOUT a referral. It is just nice to help out a friend if they actually do refer you.............P

belsayre
03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
It is perfectly okay to open an ING account WITHOUT a referral. It is just nice to help out a friend if they actually do refer you.............P
But if you dont have a referral from someone ~ you dont get the $25 bonus. :flower:
it is a win/win for both parties using the referral system ~ the only hang up is EVERYONE here has lots of referrals and everyone wants to give out referrals ~ there is no "fair" way to do it so everyone get the referral money ~ just hope someone picks you and sends you a PM asking for a referral~ that is what I did ~ just picked someone I knew had signed up with ING:flower:
Maybe we should all stop PM' ing people to say we have referrals ~ just let them come to you
JMHO
Lesley princess:

BethR
03-30-2005, 11:36 AM
ktswiss, we have had guidelines for handling ING referrals in place on the Budget Board for some time. Here is a link to them: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=611740
The thread at the top of the page is where people can learn about ING, can ask questions, and can find people who are part of the ING thing.
I think that it is safe to say that anyone who has posted to that thread has referrals available. So someone who is looking for a referral is free to contact ANYONE that they want on that that thread.
We don't like people asking for referrals because they set themselves up for dozens or more people offering to send them one. It is easier for the person WANTING the referral to ask one person themself.

Christa, nothing has changed. The Guidelines are the same as they always have been. ::yes::

Barbara, you have done nothing wrong. :) You asked some questions on how to use features of this board and how to go about doing the ING thing. Hopefully you are able to open an account, get your bonus, and maybe some referrals. Happy Savings! :)

missmulan
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
But if you dont have a referral from someone ~ you dont get the $25 bonus. :flower:
Lesley princess:

There is a $50 bonus out there for the new account holder. Even better than the $25/$10... You can choose the $50 or split it the $25/$10 way. Which one is the better deal?? ;)

no hard feelings everyone...just the facts.... :earsgirl:

belsayre
03-30-2005, 01:45 PM
the $50 bonus is a better deal ~ but I thought it was an offer from purchacing tax software........ not trying to be ugly here ~ I just didnt know if that was really" right" to use the code if you did not buy the software??
again not trying to cause trouble ~ just a inquiry :flower: