PDA

View Full Version : Should we cancel trip to Disney for...

marriedmarylander
03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
korea? My mom is planning to go - she speaks fluent korean. I just got the email today since she went to inquire at travel agency.

Korea would be $1600 per person via a travel agency - airfare, hotel, and food for 7 days. It's a tour package with a group so the tour is in English. It's just me and my DH so no children.

We will owe for our Disney package on April 1 and it is about $1300 for hotel and tickets for 7 days. We go free airfare.

DH says to just wait until next year to go to Korea since it would be too much trouble to cancel the flights and package and we have already planned things out.

I am looking forward to going to Disney but even if the tour is in English I figured it may be good to go with someone who does speak the language. Although spending a week with my mom will drive me absolutely crazy.

MouseMan
03-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I would go Disney! Goto to Epcot and you can visit all of the countries there..Canada, China, Germany, etc. Save Korea for another time. Just my opinion ;)

midlander
03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Life is uncertain. Disney is not. It will always be there, but people may not. I've lived in Germany and going to Epcot is just not the same. I vote for Korea.

TZMOM
03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Are you kidding? No comparison - I'd go to Korea

Have a great time no matter what you figure out!

Cindy B
03-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Korea.. why not?

MouseMan
03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Are you kidding? No comparison - I'd go to Korea

Have a great time no matter what you figure out!

Got to love this Disney Fan..... :sad2:

SnowyPrincesses:)
03-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Trust me your mom may drive you crazy but she won't be around forever. Take advantage of this special chance to have her drive you really nuts!!! I promise you Disney will mean twice as much to you when you do go.

:love:

ktglads
03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I would take Korea with a fluent tour guide over Disney right now. I agree that your mom will not be around forever and this would be a great time to make some lasting memories with her. You can always go back to Disney but Korea sounds like it would make an awesome once in a lifetime trip. Would a side trip to Disneyland Tokyo be out of the question?

crisi
03-28-2005, 02:07 PM
So jealous - Korea! We have plans to go in a few years when the kids are a little older, but if I had a fluent guide I'd go with little kids. (My son is from South Korea).

I've also been lucky enough to travel internationally. Epcot is a poor substitute for international travel. And they don't have a Korea pavillion anyway.

If this makes me a poor Disney fan, I'll gladly turn in my mouse ears. I'd rather never go to Disney than never travel internationally again. Fortunately, I've gotten to do both.

MrsPete
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Mouseman -- You are aware that you're not actually visiting other countries when you go to Epcot, right?

ktglads -- I'm with you. Take advantage of this opportunity to go with mom on a unique trip. Disney will still be there next year, but this particular opportunity may not present itself again.

weregoingtodw
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd go for Korea in a heartbeat!

Why? Because my husband is there ;).

MrsPete
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Mouseman -- You are aware that you're not actually visiting other countries when you go to Epcot, right? midlander is correct: It's fun to go to the "countries" in Epcot, but they bear little resemblance to the real thing.

ktglads -- I'm with you. Take advantage of this opportunity to go with mom on a unique trip. Disney will still be there next year, but this particular opportunity may not present itself again.

CarolA
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
So jealous - Korea! We have plans to go in a few years when the kids are a little older, but if I had a fluent guide I'd go with little kids. (My son is from South Korea).

I've also been lucky enough to travel internationally. Epcot is a poor substitute for international travel. And they don't have a Korea pavillion anyway.

If this makes me a poor Disney fan, I'll gladly turn in my mouse ears. I'd rather never go to Disney than never travel internationally again. Fortunately, I've gotten to do both.

I am with Crisi! I am dramatically curtailing Disney this year for a three week trip to London, Paris and Switzerland. Yes, there are UK and France pavilions in Epcot, but it's not the same!

Plus it sounds like Korea is part of your heritage.

hannahouse
03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
definately would go to Korea!

Mouseman... :sad2:

DannyDisneyFreak
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Hmmmmm... that depends, North or South?

marriedmarylander
03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Hmmmmm... that depends, North or South?

South for obvious reasons.

It looks like it is too messy to cancel plans. We may save up more $$$ and go next year. My mom said she may be able to go again if she can afford it. So maybe it will all work out for the better.

dizluvr71
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
I vote for Korea!! But then again I have family there also. :)

But like some others have said, time is short sometimes and I would seize the opportunity while it is presented to you. Better to spend time with your mother now on a trip to Korea and go to Disney another time.

antmaril
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Definitely Korea!!! EPCOT is fun, but it isn't real.

Go with your mom to Korea and make a fantastic memory!!!!

my3kids
03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Disney is an amusement park....Korea is experiencing a whole other country, culture and history. I'd have no hesitation in selecting Korea.

O2BNWDW
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I am torn...I've been to both. :confused3

yes you can spend time with your mom and that is irreplaceable, but you don't necessarily have to GO somewhere to spend time with mom...take her to WDW!!!!!

What parts of Korea will the tour cover?

MouseMan
03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Mouseman -- You are aware that you're not actually visiting other countries when you go to Epcot, right?

Yes, I'm very aware of that!!!!

But, I would rather goto DISNEY then to Korea any day! And who cares if your mother won't be around forever, youv'e seen her your whole life, You know what she looks like and you know how she drives you crazy. I'm sure Korea will be around for a while and you can visit with your mom before she kicks the bucket....

marriedmarylander
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I guess my post made it sound more like spending time with my mom... she lives 40 minutes away so it's not like I never see her. I guess it was more the point of going with someone who is planning to go this summer, speaks the language and could introduce me and DH to relatives we never met. We are discussing it over now - my mom might change her plans as well so we could all go together or we are discussing if we would cancel.

Chupacabra X
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Hello. I just became a forum member. I saw the discussion topic, I am asking myself if I can even afford going to Disney at all. My wife and I are planning on going in April. We have almost everything paid for but I am worried about our finances.

zdesiree
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Disney! You should take your mom to Disney and then spent time with her planning another trip to Korea. Regarding what others are saying of spending time with your mother, the only memory of your mother with you won't be Korea, I bet you have tons of good memories with her already (for starts you will always remember how she drove you nuts :rotfl2: ).

Definetely the best you can do is sit down with everybody and talk about it.

weregoingtodw
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Hello. I just became a forum member. I saw the discussion topic, I am asking myself if I can even afford going to Disney at all. My wife and I are planning on going in April. We have almost everything paid for but I am worried about our finances.
Hello & welcome! There are tons of people on here who can give great advice re: making your Disney trip more affordable.

You might also try the Budget board - they give other ways of cutting your budget in general to help you spend more time with The Mouse!

Finally, if you haven't already, I'd encourage you to join The Mouse for Less (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheMouseForLess/), a Yahoo group devoted just to saving money while at Disney!

Have fun planning your trip! ::MickeyMo

Chupacabra X
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey thanks for the helpful response. My wife has been coming here for months now and planning like mad, so I thought I would try out the forum.
:moped:

whacked
03-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm a big Disney fan, but go to Korea.

Who knows when you'll have that chance again.

Besides, by the time you go to Disney next year, they'll still be there, and have even more new rides and attractions. :cheer2:

marriedmarylander
03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. Now my mom is talking about changing HER plans instead. She better make up her mind... I have only 3 days to cancel my package for a full refund.

Meezers
03-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Wow....a chance to go to Korea with a fluent guide? Not a chance to miss!

After I had lived in Germany for several years my parents came over. The best thing was that they got to see the country from a "native" view which is what sounds like you will get.

I would go to Korea. I miss homemade Korean food that my military friends introduced me to.

minkydog
03-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Take Korea! Your mom will be so happy to show you her heritage. and to see a country with a fluent native speaker....don't miss this opportunity. take Korea!~ :cool1: