PDA

View Full Version : Plane won't leave until 4 pm - what do we do?

karlad61
03-26-2005, 08:35 PM
This is our first DCL cruise. The only air I could get to go back home was at 4 pm. We will not have a car because we are going to WDW before our cruise. From what I understand, we will disembark about 9 am. I am wondering what to do from about 9 am to 2 pm with a very active 7 year old and an impatient 15 year old. Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

mommasita
03-26-2005, 08:48 PM
:goodvibes I have heard a lot people renting Day rooms at the Hyatt. I believe the rate is around 75$, and you can get your room immediately. It is conveniently located in the airport, and has a great pool. You could even rest a bit, since it is definitely an early morning...

HTH

budwmn
03-26-2005, 09:03 PM
:) We've had the same problem the last couple of trips. If you want the Hyatt day room, call NOW. I tried a month before my cruise and it was sold out. We normally just try to be the last ones off the ship. Then we camp out in the airport and have a long lunch at Macaroni Grill.

Another option (which I've never been able to talk my husband into) is taking the DCL transportation to WDW. You could go and hang out at Downtown Disney or at the Boardwalk before taking a cab to the airport.

Good luck!

two-foxes
03-26-2005, 09:23 PM
We, too, did a day room at the Hyatt in 2002 and 2004. We walked up both times to the counter and had no problems getting a room the day of. It is great if you want to take a nap or get a swim in or even get some last minute Disney gift shopping done at the "EarPort" Disney store. There are also many other shops there, too. The food court is your typical fast food offerings, but good enough for lunch! It may be your best bet for not having a car.....

CBEB
03-26-2005, 10:46 PM
We rented a car at Port Canaveral and spent the day at Downtown Disney -- did a bit of shopping and had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.

karlad61
03-27-2005, 09:29 AM
For those of you who rented a car for the day, did you have your luggage with you?

Thanks for all of your responses.

TooPure4u
03-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I rented a car as well and yes...you have your luggage with you. There were 3 of us and 6 suitcases and 3 carry-ons. We originally rented a compact (DUMB IDEA) but thank the lord both times I rented one (before our cruise and for the day we got off the ship) we got great vehicles. We ended up with a 2005 Ford Taurus with 200 miles on it and on the way home a mini-van. We paid same price as the compact because that is all they had. We also went to downtown disney to waste the day and had lunch at uno's before going to the airport. Was a nice ending to a wonderful trip!

KKB
03-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Although disembarkation began at 9AM on Princess, we weren't off until 11AM, and there were others still waiting to be called.
Could you request to be last off the ship? I personally never want my vaca to end, so like being last.
Then again, maybe early off to go somewhere longer is the answer.
Personally, my kids love running around airports--so much to see.
Happy cruising!
Kristin

budwmn
03-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Everybody is off the ship by 9 on DCL (we were literally the last ones off on our first cruise).

crisi
03-27-2005, 11:21 AM
You can be the last, but you'll be off by 9:00 unless there is a problem. By 11:00, the line to get on the ship is a few hundred people deep. Disney doesn't call like Princess....when you are done with breakfast, you just get off the ship. There is sometimes a line, but its seldom a long one.

We hung at the airport, ate breakfast (good coffee), shopped, ate lunch, shopped. The MCO airport isn't bad for shopping. We also had a portable DVD player so the kids watched movies while we read.

jrabbit
03-27-2005, 01:57 PM
We will not have a car because we are going to WDW before our cruise.It sounds like you have the Land/Sea package ... but regardless YOU CAN drop the transportation from the Port back to MCO - they'll refund you $25 per person (I think). You can then use that $$$ to rent a car from one of the many rental places at port canaveral (probably less than $50 for the day). I would either go to Kennedy Space Center for the day or to Downtown Disney. There you can slowly ease yourself back into reality. Look around, do some shopping, enjoy one last good meal out before heading home.

familydad
03-27-2005, 05:35 PM
We took the WDW bus back to one of the waterparks for the day, then a cab back to the airport. We had several days left on our park-hopper passes from a couple of years ago, so we used a day.

We had no expectations about what it would be like, so that probably helped us feel better about having to leave the park a little early.

The waterpark experience was great! What a wonderful way to ease your way back into the real world after a great cruise! I think we'll consider getting a late flight out every time so that we can always do this!

LuvindisCruiser
03-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Our flight doesn't leave till 4:00 either. We will probably go to DTD, to get a little more disney before we have to end our vacation !!!!
There's no way I am going to sit in the airport from 10:00 until our flight leaves at 4:00, when I can be in the WDW atmosphere for a few more hours !! :cool1:
:confused3 Does anyone know how far it is from Port Canaveral to DTD?
And, from DTD to MCO? :confused3

westjones
03-27-2005, 06:34 PM
We did DTD after our cruise while we waited for our flight. We ate at the Rainforest Cafe and we saw other cruisers there too. You may run into some new friends while you are there! It seems to be a good place to pass time waiting for flights.
DJ

AspiringCindy
03-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Our flight doesn't leave till 4:00 either. We will probably go to DTD, to get a little more disney before we have to end our vacation !!!!
There's no way I am going to sit in the airport from 10:00 until our flight leaves at 4:00, when I can be in the WDW atmosphere for a few more hours !! :cool1:
:confused3 Does anyone know how far it is from Port Canaveral to DTD?
And, from DTD to MCO? :confused3

Port Canaveral to WDW is about an hour - 1 1/4 drive!

cruiseonmagic
03-28-2005, 01:11 PM
When are you going? There can be a lot to do around the port, and Cocoa Beach. Who knows--maybe a shuttle or rocket launch, surf festival, fishing or "beaching" at jetty park, or the Cocoa Beach Pier, air boat rides, or sea kayak tours to see the manatees. Lunch at Grill's Seafood Deck, or Fishlips at the port (you can talk about your cruise, while you are watching the boats and ships). You can see Grills or lips (and me :earboy2: ) on the way out of port --after you leave the dock and start heading out, an announcement will be made that they are going to sound the ships whistle. When it plays, you will be right in front of Grills. The captain always does it there because of all of the people who gather to see the ships sail.

Jiffymom
03-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Curious. If we drop our transfer and rent a car to go to DTD where do return the car

cntkg1
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
This might be a silly question, but we are first time cruisers. We are not leaving Orlando until the day after the cruise returns. We have reservations at the airport Hyatt. My question is, do we travel back to Orlando airport with our luggage on the same bus? We do have early check in at the Hyatt so we could go to one of the parks for the rest of Saturday.

Does WDW really have a bus that will take us there for free? Then we have to catch a cab back to airport? How much does a cab cost us?

Thanks for any advice!!

Nancy & Chuck :cool1:

AspiringCindy
03-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Personally, I would cancel transfers from port to airport...and rent a car from Budget(at port)! That way, you can do a park or DTD...then check into Hyatt where you can easily return your car at the terminal!

d'Isigny
03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
we always have gotten a late afternoon flight. it's our preference to spend some time at Downtown Disney or a lunch at one of the resorts to get some 'last minute' Disney before returning home.
I highly recommend looking into renting a car - you have much more flexiability of choices before heading home. good luck

FredS
04-16-2005, 10:25 PM
We took the WDW bus back to one of the waterparks for the day, then a cab back to the airport.

Familydad -- what did you do with your luggage? Did you check it with your airline at the port but then you guys went to WDW? If so, does anyone know if there are any limits to this, that is, our flight doesn't leave until 8:00 pm, so we would love to go to Disney for the day and then catch a cab to the airport later. Not sure if this is "doable" though, and would love to hear if others have done it. :flower:

aprilgail2
04-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Familydad -- what did you do with your luggage? Did you check it with your airline at the port but then you guys went to WDW? If so, does anyone know if there are any limits to this, that is, our flight doesn't leave until 8:00 pm, so we would love to go to Disney for the day and then catch a cab to the airport later. Not sure if this is "doable" though, and would love to hear if others have done it. :flower:

We had a rental car that we left at the port so it was there when we got off the ship...we just threw the suitcases in the trunk and was at the gates of MAgic Kingdom when it opened at 9am! We wanted to be able to just get in the car and go since we knew we were heading to Disney, didn't want to mess with lines at car rentals and shuttles. We spent the day there and drove back to a hotel near Universal to stay for the night but we were back at that hotel by 5pm so you certainly could do a day at Disney and make it back tot he airport in time.