PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel Horseback Riding Tour??

katyblue04
03-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Hello,

I'm booked on the Mayan Frontier Horseback Riding Tour in Cozumel, and was wondering if anyone has anything to report about it?

I was trying to look online and figure out more about it, and I stumbled across a website that mentioned the Buena Vista Ranch, and there were a few reviews saying that the horses were mistreated and neglected, left in the sun with no water, and with open untreated wounds. :worried:

Is this the same place that the Disney shore excursions use? If you've done it before, did the horses seem unhappy?? I could never forgive myself I went and supported the company. :guilty: I don't think I'd be able to participate if I felt the horses were treated badly.

Hopefully it's a different tour, because that was the one activity that my girlfriend was really excited about! I'd hate to cancel it.

Please let me know.
Thanks a lot,
Katy

CDSTapisRouge
03-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Yes the Buena Vista Ranch is where the excursion is to and No I saw absolutely no abuse when we went. The staff for the ranch was very nice and very helpful, I enjoyed the excursion. Hubby was a little disappointed as I guess I may have forgotten to mention that it was "replicas" of Mayan ruins and not the actual thing, but we still had a good time. The one thing you have to remember is this is not an Amercian horse stable that you are going to, so you will see the horses out in the sun and there are flies around (not to the point of annoyance, but they are present). This is how horse ranches are in Mexico, in my expereince. I did not feel that the horses were being abused or that the conditions were unsuitable, they weren't boarding stables for your prize thoroughbreed, but they weren't deplorable conditions either. All in all we had a great time and would do it again.

atigeg
03-27-2005, 03:05 PM
This is Barb (inkkognito), writing under her husband's ID.
I am a horse owner, and when I did that excursion, I did not see any evidence of abuse or mistreatment. I am always on the lookout for that sort of thing, and I was impressed that the horses appeared to be healthy and well taken care of. I enjoyed the ride too. It is listed as all walking, but they did allow the more experienced riders to canter a couple of times. One guide stayed in the back with those who did not want to go fast while the other did a couple of short canters with the rest of the group.
Barb

katyblue04
03-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much to both of you, I feel much better about the excursion now. :)

I'm not much of a horse person myself, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the ride.

(I owe that to a bad camping trip when I was a kid and got stuck riding on a donkey b/c there weren't enough horeses, and therefore I was made fun of all day!)

My cruise is coming up in only 12 days and I'm freaking out over everything!! I'm just so so SO excited!! :banana: LOL! Thank goodness for these boards, otherwise I'd be a mess!

-Katy

Wavegirl
08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I havén't been on this excursion myself but I did read some great reviews on the CC board and we were looking at it. Its across the 30 min ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen.

Beach Horseback Riding in Playa Del Carmen, 30 minutes by Ferry (http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/PlayaBeachHorseback.htm)

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/images/horseonbeach.jpg the beach looks incredible!!