PDA

View Full Version : 12 metre regatta question

anlashokna
03-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Those who have done this before. How safe is it to take a digital camera? I'm very tempted to just grab a water camera to take along.

Recommendations?

tvguy
03-25-2005, 09:34 PM
We took ours. But when we weren't taking pictures, we kept it in a zip lock sandwich bag to keep it dry.
I was all the way forward in what they called "the hot tub", and got splashed, but not soaked. DS was a cranker, and got splashed a little. DW and DD were the Captain and Timer and were all the way back, and stayed dry. DW kept the camera, and passed it up to me to take a few pictures.

I never, in a million years would have selected this excursion on my own, DW picked it. It is the best excursion I have ever done.
You can be as involved in running the boat as you want, or just sit back and relax. And the day we did it, the Queen Elizabeth 2 was anchored in the bay.......we did our training laps before the race around the QE2.....neat to see such an historic ship up close.

disneybride96
10-17-2005, 09:17 PM
My DH and myself are doing this excursion, but the rest of the kin folk are more "landlubbers". Do you actually sail near the cruise ship dock? They all want to watch...any suggestions for a good view point?

tvguy
10-18-2005, 01:00 AM
They sail out near the mouth of the bay where the ships dock, so you can see them, but not real well.

TMTIP
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
when we took this excursion last year there wasn't any "sit back and relaxing" done! Everyone had a job and worked their butts off! Not that we did not enjoy it but it was a lot of hard and strenous work.

I would not take a digital camera onboard. A water camera should do just fine and you don't have to worry about it getting wet or tossed overboard.

jjbescher
10-18-2005, 08:56 AM
I am glad someone posted this question. I will now need to go get a disposable camera. I am also glad to hear that it is a fun excursion.