PDA

View Full Version : Sea bands/4 & 6 yr. old

LeslieG
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Anyone have any luck with sea bands on young kids? They are tight, and I don't know if mine will keep them on or positioned where they need to be. Anyone have any experience with this?

Princess Tink
03-25-2005, 04:32 PM
My 6 yo used one last year. I don't think he really got seasick, but he thought they were neat and wore them every once in a while and never got sick. I keep them in our car for him, and he wears them every so often because he gets 'carsick'.

TootyJane
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I bought seabands for our first cruise as I didn't know how our three boys would be on a cruise. They were 4, 8 and 11 at the time. All I can say is they hated them and wouldn't wear them because they were pretty tight. It was definitely a waste of $$ for me. BTW, they've never gotten seasick on any cruise we've taken. HTH

ratfam
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
My 9 year old started to wear them after she started feeling seasick and said that they helped, I can't say for sure whether it was a placebo effect but I was glad for it whatever the reason. My 6 year old wore them one day but I found he played with them a lot so they probably weren't positioned properly, so it may depend on how likely your kids are to play around with them. A friend who cruised in February said that she and her 6 year old both wore them and found them to be very effective. Since they're one size fits all (at least the ones I have) remember that they will be less tight on a small child's wrist than on yours.

mickeyboat
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I was really concerned about DD3 (at the time) and seasickness because she tends to get car sick. You know what, she didn't even feel the motion of the ship, kept asking when the boat was going to move.

My pediatrician recommended Benadryl. We brought a whole medicine cabinet full of things, including Amoxicillin in case anyone got sick, and didn't use anything other than Advil for Mom and Dad.

Have a great time!

Denae

summerrluvv
03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
I was really concerned about DD3 (at the time) and seasickness because she tends to get car sick. You know what, she didn't even feel the motion of the ship, kept asking when the boat was going to move.

My pediatrician recommended Benadryl. We brought a whole medicine cabinet full of things, including Amoxinillin in case anyone got sick, and didn't use anything other than Advil for Mom and Dad.

Have a great time!

Denae

Benadryl usually makes children sleepy (or extremely hyper), so I don't think I would be giving that to children who feel sea sick.

mickeyboat
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Benadryl usually makes children sleepy (or extremely hyper), so I don't think I would be giving that to children who feel sea sick.

My pedi. recommended it, she said that traditional sea sickness meds could act unpredictably in young children. I guess I would rather have a sleepy or hyper child than a sick one. Thank goodness we didn't need anything.

Another option would be more natural remedies such as ginger (like ginger snaps), or green apples as I have seen people recommend.

Denae